Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,963 members, 7,828,421 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:26 AM

Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities (13672 Views)

Wife Nags And Prioritises Of Her Family Responsibilities Above Her Marital Home. / Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money / Happy Birthday To Family Section's World Famous Leapling (CHAIRCOVER) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by lolaxavier(m): 9:22pm On Sep 11, 2013
Hmmmm, it is not as easy as we all think. Different families with different stories. Well, as for me, I will do all I can to help my family as much as I can before seeking other mission. The definition of my own family is just nuclear, not extended because the extended were no where to be found throughout our challenges. You cannot blame a mother who wants a shop after so many years of suffering. After all,one of the reasons why we give birth is for us to have someone that will take care of us when old.
I know my family. I know the travails my dad and mum went through to ensure non of their children is uneducated. Was it wen my dad turned his vehicle to a commercial car after losing his job and started plying the routes of akure for passengers or when both mum and dad started selling palm oil in kegs to pay for school fees, getting home at late unsafe hours of the night. Was it the days of serious rain-beating, with dad bringing a loaf of bread back home to feed us. And so on, just to mention a few. And after all their labour on us, the last of us passed away three months after NYSC. Tell me how I will sleep well at night knowing that my parent are struggling where they are while all I have on my chest is to marry.
So, it all depends on the family. Besides we all have different level of emotions running through us.
To the fellow involved,if you are still btw the age of 25 and 30 and truly,you just got a job not more than a year, relax and take a year or two to contribute to your family upkeep,then you can move on from there. Remember if you're still searching for a job,it's still this same mother that will be running around to get you some cash to sustain yourself and I'm sure you won't be thinking of marriage then.
Prioritize well and do not neglect your people especially if they truly stood up for you during your hard times. Of all, I wish you well.

8 Likes

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by biolabee(m): 9:27pm On Sep 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Gbam! cos together, they would all be able to take care of the rest, as long as the house is live-able - It could be managed

correct man
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 9:51pm On Sep 11, 2013
debrief08: Na wa oh, all this plenty list on less than 100k per month not to even talk about tax, insurance pension etc, he will take less than 70k home a month. Ha.

I don't know the arrangement with his family but let him be rest assured that if he ignores Mama and go ahead to marry the wife will be constantly harrassed, God help her if she wears a new dress, she will be abused to high heavens for reaping where she didn't sow.

Why would we produce children and come and burden the other children with your reproductive decisions?
Not saying people shouldn't help out but to carry the whole family problems and lump on one who wasn't there when the parents decided to have plenty children is unfair.

I will appeal to him to talk honestly with his people, negotiate what he can and can't do.
I hope the fiance is working if not he will be adding another burden to his already heavy load on such small amount.

He must rent a house and not put her in his family house na die be that.
They shouldn't rush into having kids till the finances are stable, no need bringing a child and adding another mouth to feed.

I really hope we will rise up and say No to bad leadership, if the country was better the whole family wouldn't be depending on just one salary.

You spoke my mind!
He should be firm with his family on how much he can spend on them monthly, or else he would work for them throughout his life, that when it is time to marry, he would be old, and cannot work so long again to take care of his own family.
I am speaking from experience.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by everinlove(m): 10:00pm On Sep 11, 2013
The fact is, there is poverty in the land. If he happens to be the only one working in the family at the moment, then he should wait and assist the siblings first of all, and who knows, it might one of these sibling that God may use to rescue the family from this level of poverty tomorrow. I would advise the guy to try and assist the younger ones in school, and also look for a way to help his mum's business. As per the house renovation in the village, he should beg his mum to forget about that for now. It will be very unfair of him to abandon his family now that he is needed most, and go a head to marry.
May we not give birth to children that will abandon us when we need them most in life. It is always good to weigh both sides of the coin. No body knows tomorrow. Remember, he is just starting life, and there is a blessing that follows if one honours his own parents. Honour thy father and thy mother so that thy days may be long in life.
To you the writer of this post, try to be patient with this guy, and allow him to assist his family. I tell you for sure that no condition is permanent in life.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 10:12pm On Sep 11, 2013
cosby: go ahead and get married, the family involvement will never stop. you are just prolonging the days.

Another like from me.
Family responsibilities never ends! Whether he marries now or later, they would continue to ask!
The more he earns, the more he would spend!
He needs a spouse that can endure or else.................
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by armyofone(m): 10:15pm On Sep 11, 2013
Some here are saying 'what about the education he was given'
What about if he went to school with scholarship all through?
Is he still obligated?
Naija ways = infinity and eternal liability.

in this situation, the guy should make sure he marries a working gal, until then, just don't let agro catch grin
People should have fewer children. 2 or 3 max.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 10:19pm On Sep 11, 2013
voltron: Well it depends on what type of family he was raised in.. there are some biatch a.ss families though. you hustle to pay for your school fees, you get part-time jobs and still feed the family from your meagre earnings and when you get married you are still feeding them and your new family paying their rent, sending siblings to school... gawd!! it never ends.. when you look back you realise that they are all sitting on their lazy ass.es waiting for payday from you. who works like a jackie all month long.. families should realize that should you die, they will have to find someone to leech off

This is exactly my experience!
I mean it was that bad!
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Fhemmmy: 10:29pm On Sep 11, 2013
Ibhamen:

Another like from me.
Family responsibilities never ends! Whether he marries now or later, they would continue to ask!
The more he earns, the more he would spend!
He needs a spouse that can endure or else.................

Families responsibility will never end but could be minimized.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 10:46pm On Sep 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Families responsibility will never end but could be minimized.

Yes, it can be minimized but we all know the cost of living soars high everyday.

A sibling was trained to school, but is unable to get a job after a while, now they are talking of going for masters so that there would be a better chance of getting a job, BUT on whose account? The same man that has fulfilled all their desires and still sends a monthly feeding upkeep?
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Fhemmmy: 11:02pm On Sep 11, 2013
Ibhamen:

Yes, it can be minimized but we all know the cost of living soars high everyday.

A sibling was trained to school, but is unable to get a job after a while, now they are talking of going for masters so that there would be a better chance of getting a job, BUT on whose account? The same man that has fulfilled all their desires and still sends a monthly feeding upkeep?

There has to be a boundary of when all will stop . . .
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 11:17pm On Sep 11, 2013
I think, he should at least take up one of the siblings education if he can juggle it with marriage, if not wait for one person to graduate and hope he secures a job fast enough, that way he can have somebody to share the burden with, I am a lady but I kinda also has the same responsibility, my family is almost a football team, my father was doing ok, but has fallen into bad times before we could go to the uni, but before then he was able to train one of his younger brother, who fortunately is doing very well now, so I was sent to school by my uncle , and he is still sponsoring two of my siblings while my hubby is sponsoring one, the remaining guy is doing business apprentice and is also left for my hubby to settle upon graduation, each one of them still calls me for minor minor stuff, I cant wait for them to be on their feet. I just thanks God this is not a permanent situation. It will be permanent if he decides to be selfish and think only for himself. This is Africa and not American or Europe. Lest I forget, I found away to make the boys get pocket money without pestering me all the time. Bought them cameras and photo printers, go to weddings and occasions and hustle for pocket money and let us worry about the school fees and books

1 Like

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Fhemmmy: 11:24pm On Sep 11, 2013
tochimas: I think, he should at least take up one of the siblings education if he can juggle it with marriage, if not wait for one person to graduate and hope he secures a job fast enough, that way he can have somebody to share the burden with, I am a lady but I kinda also has the same responsibility, my family is almost a football team, my father was doing ok, but has fallen into bad times before we could go to the uni, but before then he was able to train one of his younger brother, who fortunately is doing very well now, so I was sent to school by my uncle , and he is still sponsoring two of my siblings while my hubby is sponsoring one, the remaining guy is doing business apprentice and is also left for my hubby to settle upon graduation, each one of them still calls me for minor minor stuff, I cant wait for them to be on their feet. I just thanks God this is not a permanent situation. It will be permanent if he decides to be selfish and think only for himself. This is Africa and not American or Europe. Lest I forget, I found away to make the boys get pocket money without pestering me all the time. Bought them cameras and photo printers, go to weddings and occasions and hustle for pocket money and let us worry about the school fees and books

I think it is impossible with his salary . . .
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by azeezwl: 12:15am On Sep 12, 2013
What am about to say now is my own view and please dont nail me on the cross by my veiws, I stand to be corrected in case of any wrong statement. We all are learning, and nobody is infallible.

Uhm, as a matter of fact, as a growing man, you are expected to build your own family, but before then, some factors have to be considered, you cannot just dabble into marriage just because you are matured and expected to marry or because you wanna set up a home, many people have fallen a prey into this truama and are now being remorseful for not taking their time to do their own "feasibility" studies on the whims and caprices of the strong desires for getting a wife while faced with myraid of responsibilities!

In a year, he can do all these I lay down below without a being married yet, then the next year, he is just faced with lesser burden, just that of school fees and few upkeep, and at this time, he can marry.

He should first ensure he breaks every "wall of Jericho" to his marriage, anything that will pose a threat to his marriage should be taken care of first. He should get the shop for his moma, buy all the wares the moma would need in her shop, from thr, she will be feeding the father and siblings with whatever income they derive from the sales , as for the house, though once renovated, it will take him years to renovate it again, so he should try do the one he can in his own capability to renovate it, then the siblings tuition, *sighed* he should pay their school fees, remember, in doing this, he is saving himself of a great burden in the future because if he fails to invest on them now, only him will have to bear the brunt of the whole responsibilties till their parents give their last breathe! By the time they finish school, they will go and huzzle for themselves and that will ease the high burden of dependency on him by also assisting their parents in whatever income they derive.

After a year of putting things right, he can marry, and as well be paying just school fees and few upkeep. This is my own view oh, yours may differ and please dont crucify me.lol.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 2:08am On Sep 12, 2013
youngalex: my close friend with a secured job(earning #1.1m per annum),just started working last year is currently contemplating getting married but his family is kicking against it especially the mum who feels there are many family responsibilities(siblings in Uni,renovating the house in the village,opening a shop for mum etc) that needs to be taken care of ,he needs my advice so am throwing the issue to the house if u were in his shoes what will u do?

Any mother that kicks against her child getting married for the aforementioned reasons is wicked.

That is all.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 2:20am On Sep 12, 2013
ileobatojo:

Any mother that kicks against her child getting married for the aforementioned reasons is wicked.

That is all.

You must be high on Pepsi
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 2:28am On Sep 12, 2013
eddiebruk:

You must be high on Pepsi

Are you the mother in question? Yea? You're wicked. And greedy as hell.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 2:41am On Sep 12, 2013
ileobatojo:

Are you the mother in question? Yea? You're wicked. And greedy as hell.

And you are a Charlatan and ungrateful numskull with 0% Sympathy for motherhood, no lady should marry a man who disrespect his mother because if he can disrespect his mother then the wife is bound to suffer more than disrespect... It is men like you that allow their wife's to Maltreat and disrespect their mothers because you have been turned into slaves and houseboys

2 Likes

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 2:47am On Sep 12, 2013
eddiebruk:

And you are a Charlatan and ungrateful numskull with 0% Sympathy for motherhood, no lady should marry a man who disrespect his mother because if he can disrespect his mother then the wife is bound to suffer more than disrespect... It is men like you that allow their wife's to Maltreat and disrespect their mothers because you have been turned into slaves and houseboys

Lmao! grin You're really in pain, aren't you?

Wicked and greedy people and their sympathizers. God deliver Nigeria from your grips.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 3:03am On Sep 12, 2013
ileobatojo:

Lmao! grin You're really in pain, aren't you?

Wicked and greedy people and their sympathizers. God deliver Nigeria from your grips.

You probably have issue's with comprehension
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by dantechnig: 5:58am On Sep 12, 2013
I arn almost same amount with this young man and for d past 3yrs I hv been working, I feel I hv same responsibilities like him but mine is not shop nor skool fees cos my siblings are out of skool. In my family we all earn money but to my 2 bro ders is not constant so sometins issues may come up. I pay rent for dem. But God is so faithful I ask for more blessings so I can help my family cos if I don't who will. I hv a building project which I need complete for dem so I stop paying rent for dem na den I can marry. Beside my money neva complete to talk of marry self n d gal neva ready. So my advice bro is try n save money equip someone in ur family n have small savings for ur wife, pay ur mom salary dats wat I do as well from der u know wat u spend n earn a month.God will help us

1 Like

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by babazz(m): 7:28am On Sep 12, 2013
True talk bro. The guy should just take things easy or else na from hand to mouth every month. Marriage is no joke
gboss4sure: If he is the first son let him settle his family first, man must do what he gat to do. With that amount he is earning now it is too small, 1.1m per year? Can he take care of a woman with it. Let him open up another business for himself, then when he gets more money he should open a business for his family so that the needs of his siblings can be settled from there... Omoh woman need no be wetin earning of 1.1M per year go fit solve, not to talk of when the woman starts droping children.

At 1.1m he should be looking into opening another business that will be making him money and not to talk of getting married. Family issue no be small matter o
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Ngokafor(f): 8:14am On Sep 12, 2013
....As much as i know that taking care of our parents is a responsibilty we all have take care off,demanding that the young man's life be put on hold for God knows how long is so wrong!,i just dont get how some parents will have say 7 children, train about three or four or even two sef to maybe university level and thats it!.They'll hands off and mandate their first born son to take over!!...it's so unfair and i usually feel sorry for such dudes..no reprieve at all for them.

...Such men take care of themselves,siblings,parents and when they eventuallly get married(after much resistance and grumbling from his immediate family for selfish reasons like the thread in question),wife and kids are added to the mix!!.....so not cool cos they burn out easily from being pulled on all sides!.

...@poster,i think your friend should do some sort of business on the side cos 1.1m per annum is not much at all, settle his immediate family as much as he can then get married,disregarding further complaints from his family.

1 Like

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 8:35am On Sep 12, 2013
My two kobo advice to d poster.

Don't ever put ur life on hold because of family pressure.
As long as there is life,needs must continue to surface and some will be handled while others will be discarded.

This kind of problem makes able bodied men marry very late and most times, those people they r busy trying to better their lives tend to marry b4 them.
I hv one in my family. Now he is a shadow of himself. Nobody knows if he will ever marry at all. Couldn't pay shop rent, house rent and yes he is in d village.
Those he was labouring for, I don't wanna go there but its a big lesson for all of us.

D young lady he courted(and funny enof she was waiting and waiting for him) has since married. He is such a nice soul but family responsibility ruined him.

So poster, marry and do the ones u can and pls give bounderies.
No matter what, its not and will never be the mother's right to peg some dd on her son. She sound controlling and greedy. Wife is in big soup whoever she is.
They will all descend on her. Gosh!

Set boundaries pls before u bring in another woman's child to come and meet angry siblings and mother.
Firstborns, most of them do suffer to much. Its not to be so. That's why some of them grow old quick with enof grey hairs in their twenties.
Goodluck.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Dare14: 8:36am On Sep 12, 2013
No reason to delay cos of family responsibilities... is the same family dat will not reckon with you if you have nothing... so its to do your part for them as God would have it..
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by sunnyt1(m): 8:54am On Sep 12, 2013
I have issues with dudes believing everyone had their kind of background and everyone must bow to their class of ideology. We all had different upbringing, fact. Some parents gave up everything to ensure their children stand on their foot, some mothers sold the air they breath so a particular child can become someone in life which should ease some burdens. Now tell me, why should such children grow up and think they have their own life to live, dude can you hear me? Your mum gave up her convinience, so u owe her all your comfort, at least for somtime.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by debbydominic(f): 10:15am On Sep 12, 2013
soul_glo:

Oh please. Is his mother God? The answer to that is no. Here are the things the OP's friend has listed that the mother wants. Renovate a house in the village. Help with his siblings education. Set up a shop for her. Renovating the house in the village should be out of the question. Helping the siblings in the University should not stop a man from getting married. Why? Because those siblings can also help themselves by doing something on the side to supplement the little their brother can afford. It should not all fall on him. There are people who got educated with no parents. They hustled. His siblings can hustle. The only one that makes some sense is setting up the business for his mother. This should also have a condition. Is this business being set up to actually pay for expenses or just a pit that he will keep putting money into for the next 10 years until Mama decides it is not worth it anymore. If he sets up a business and mama is working, siblings are also doing their hustle on the side and he is also contributing then there is no need to imprison a young man in his prime. A mother that would put a curse on her child because he decided to marry is not the mother you make sacrifices for. When the man starts having babies and non are boys and his mother tells him to marry another wife or she will curse him maybe he should run and do just that because of the fear of a curse. There's nothing to fear but fear itself.

Sure word!
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 12:12pm On Sep 12, 2013
If the guy had had proper plans in place, there 'd be no need for this trauma.

He should be more thankful to God that he's not in a pitiable state rather an enviable state (if you know what I mean) .Let him not run away from his shadows but face it squarely and move on with his life.

You just consider youself as his parents and see how it feels. I quite agree you know the role of parental blessings besides marriage.

Be at peace with all men.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Fabulous36(f): 1:32pm On Sep 12, 2013
Its a difficult one but with wisdom he can overcome. whether you like it or not there will always be family pressures here and there. If the woman you want to marry is working then it will make things easier for everybody cos if she is not working and you marry her the family members will see her as an intruder and might try to make life difficult for her. Explain things to your parents especially your mum(they have a way of getting whatever they want 'mothers') they will surely understand and support your siblings in the little way you can. If you are waiting till you solve all the family problems before settling down for marriage then you might not be able to enter the venture called marriage.

my humble contribution
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by lobell: 6:03pm On Sep 12, 2013
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by backwardneva: 6:57pm On Sep 12, 2013
lt depends on how ready the man is,cos family responsiblities will always be there as long as he's stil alive.He has his life to leave more so it is better to start now(marriage)when he stil have somthin to earn as salary.The earlier the better.My advice is to go ahead wit his marriage combine resources wit his wife and forge ahead wit his life rather than allowing family responsibilities to tie him down.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Fhemmmy: 6:57pm On Sep 12, 2013
backwardneva: lt depends on how ready the man is,cos family responsiblities will always be there as long as he's stil alive.He has his life to leave more so it is better to start now(marriage)when he stil have somthin to earn as salary.The earlier the better.My advice is to go ahead wit his marriage combine resources wit his wife and forge ahead wit his life rather than allowing family responsibilities to tie him down.

So how do a man know when he is ready, what are the factor(s)?
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Professurr(m): 7:27pm On Sep 12, 2013
D average salary of a level 8 civil servant(at least in my state) is abt 52k. Going by dis thread young men in dis category may not get maried till anoda 9yrs wen it wud stil b alittle below 90k. What is the way out for such guys?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Housemaid Wahala!!! / Is Watching Pornography Considered Cheating? / "If You Both Make The Money & He Decides How It's Spent, You're A Doormat"- Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.