Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,458 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:15 PM

Please Any Remedy For Stammering - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Please Any Remedy For Stammering (18841 Views)

HERBS For Permanent Cure For STAMMERING/STUTTERING / Stammering Is Killing Me - I Can't Even Talk To A Woman - Please Advice / Any Cure For Stammering? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by Ensquare(m): 5:36pm On Sep 14, 2013
Try to avoid those big words that initiate stammering, talk slowly n start praying in tongues..I used to stammer but now there is much improvment..
Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by Nobody: 5:38pm On Sep 14, 2013
just stop talking.. Or better shut up
Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by mu2sa2: 5:38pm On Sep 14, 2013
Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa was an excellent public speaker - probably the finest public figure with the best command of spoken English Nigeria has produced even to this day. And he was a stammerer -but overcame it. I understand that he got over it by speaking gently (not shouting as most nigerians do) and confidently. This quintessential gentleman was the first head of state ever to address the United Nations without a written script. He was to be christened the Golden Voice of Africa. He is resting in peace now - an honest, God-fearing leader.
@ OP, I advise you to follow the example of ATB and you will surely overcome your difficulty. Good luck.

4 Likes

Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by asiwaju: 5:40pm On Sep 14, 2013
@OP,Please there is no shame in stammering,i am a stammerer myself,i feel no shame whatsoever,(shame for what)people who make fun of you should be ashamed of themselves,Go for your interview and be confident,everything will be ok.

Asiwaju.
Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by calabaman(m): 5:43pm On Sep 14, 2013
@op: I understand Чυя predicament fully. I used to be a very serious stammerer myself. But I DETERMINED that it just had to go and with prayers today I can say I no longer stutter. Am even a customer care agent with a telecoms company.......MY ADVICE:

1. Commit it unto Gods hands
2. Be determined that it just has to go. Reading all the books on stammering wouldn't help, when u want to speak, go ahead and speak without thinking..its wen u think tooo much about it that u stammer
3. Be confident in Чυя self, no one out there is better than you except if u allow it to be so.
4. Take a deep breath when its time for your interview. Speak like you own the company. BUT don't be cocky though

I wish you the best! You can add mε if you are on bbm 2A8D50C0

1 Like

Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by VULCAN(m): 5:43pm On Sep 14, 2013
The root of stammering is anxiety or excitement. I used to stammer but I have banished it now. It may come up once or twice a year though. I noticed that it occured when I was agitated and wanted to get my point across. How you can conquer it for your interview is to run a mental movie of the interview over and over and over in your mind. See them asking you questions and see yourself answering them with confidence. Hear the words they speak and run the interview till you stand up smiling and walk out. This will load you with confidence. What I am saying is not child's play, you must run the interview at least 10 times in your mind and all anxiety will drain away. I used this technique once and I had 4 out of 5 interviewers eating out of my hands. They were even asking me whether they could afford to pay me.

2 Likes

Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by Nobody: 5:43pm On Sep 14, 2013
Brother, generally speaking all you need to do is slow down.

Its a good thing you understand the need to control your stammering. That plays a big part in handling it.

First of all, you have to learn to live with the fact that there will always be times you will stammer. There really is very little you can do. That said, whenever you stammer, let that be a reminder to you that you need to slow down. If you can, stop talking and breathe in. Learn to listen more and talk less. But when you find yourself stammering and cant seem to stop at that point, don't fret it. Just ride it. Its like a man with a bad temper. He probably knows he has a bad temper but cant do nothing about it cos its like an impulse. Learning to listen more and talk less will ensure that when you speak and stammer under agitation or in an attempt to express yourself, people will wait for you to finish cos they know you have a point to make.

For your interview, I think its a lot better for you to allow the panel realize that you stammer. Don't try to hide it. It may even be an advantage for you. Relax and being calm will help a lot. If you could toast your girlfriend to the point that she gelled for you, brother you don't have a problem.
Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by Saraben(f): 5:44pm On Sep 14, 2013
the only best remedy is... ..kip quiet and don't talk
Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by eazysally: 5:47pm On Sep 14, 2013
Bros I feel your pain bkos I am a born stammerer like you, I don't know fear in my life bkos that anger that comes with being a stammerer won't make you fear anything but still my greatest fear is this stammer but I dealt with it when I started to control my anger, walk away from those things that easily provoke me, my bros the greatest cure is to remain happy under any circumstances don't let your anger control you bkos stammering has no cure it is purely hereditary, I finished NYSC 2O11 and I have attended alots of interviews successfully using this method of being happy to overcome, my bros all the jobs I have being doing since 2011 is to talk to people, I was once a secretary and a teacher and I did it well, to God be the glory am now working with the ministry of information my bros it is my boldness in talking that is elevating me with God's help. Bros if I can make it you can make it, avoid anger, don't rush when you talk, be calculative in what you say take your time and most importantly always be happy within yourself even if you are press to the wall to be angry, finally I wish u best of luck in the interview, God will help to overcome it like me...1love.

4 Likes

Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by ekea2001: 5:49pm On Sep 14, 2013
My friend went 4 an interview in Total a stammerer but came out successful.breathe in deeply before u answer as this will help.cheers!

1 Like

Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by Nobody: 5:50pm On Sep 14, 2013
Saraben: the only best remedy is... ..kip quiet and don't talk
you keep dsplaying your stupdty on every thread, cos he stammers doesnt mean he is dumb, mo.ron

8 Likes

Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by delors(m): 5:52pm On Sep 14, 2013
herveze: Pls i need help about my stammering,i have been in this problem since my childhood,i have took many steps to find cure for it but unfortunately for me i cant find any cure even i google it.pls i need your help because i am going to interview on monday and i dont want to face the shame.
I can see the problem is deeper than you say because e be like say your fingers self dey stammer. Solution 1: dont talk unless u are spoken to.
2: Dont argue with conductors
3: use simple words and very simple sentences when talking.
4. Before u respond to a queation or an Arsenal argument, think about what you want to say. It helps sometimes.
5. Finally, if symptoms persist after 3 years, visit a babalawo. I think they know what to do.

Happy talking
Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by Paulego(m): 5:53pm On Sep 14, 2013
STEPS :
1. I think it starts from overcoming your low self esteem

2. Think before saying anything: I have found out that most stammerers stammer more because they have nothing to say at a particular time.

3. Learn not to rush when talking, just take it step by step.
Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by baaliyah(m): 5:54pm On Sep 14, 2013
Great MKO Abiola of blessed memory was a stammerer, he was known for one word, one proverb. You could hardly know. U have got a lot of advise here. Wish u the best.

1 Like

Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by drkay(m): 5:58pm On Sep 14, 2013
@OP, stammering is something u can control by talking slowly as said earlier. U may need to restart the sentence in which u Stammers at a slower pace, I also Stammer especially wen am tensed bt I make sure it doesn't lead to public embarrassment. I alws have a glass of water b4 me and sometimes, candies which I lick to calm myself down.
Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by bobod1: 6:03pm On Sep 14, 2013
Hey brother, u don't need to work urself all out. I see it as sometin u can work upon. I was born a stammerer mine was very bad but now I have outgrown it. I worked wit Spring Bank now Enterprise Bank and currently with 1st Bank. Ask urself a sincere question. When u alone in ur closest talking or singing only to urself do u stammer? D answer is NO. When u read a book aloud in ur closet to urself do u starmmer d answer is still NO. So why don't u starmmer when alone wit urself but u do when outside? Dis was adiscovery I made dat made me work on my starmmering and I outgrew it . We can talk on phone on d practical but simple steps I took. No drugs, no medications no ebooks nothing. Call me on 08034149186. Goodluck
Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by mandra71(f): 6:04pm On Sep 14, 2013
@OP, my brother was a stunch stammerer. When he was very young, he used to tap his tighs or anything around so he could talk. He was hot tempered then and that made his situation worse. Now, you hardly know he stammers except u knew him when his very young.

I used to stammer mildy when I was young too, but I guess mine was due to tension or fear. I didn't even know when I stopped.

My dad is also a stammerer. That didn't stop him from being a bank manager or getting to where he is today.

The advise I will u give you is that, you are the only person that has the power to limit yourself. My brother has been in leadership positions right from his tender age, from class prefect to head boy to course rep and presently a sales representative. Yes people made fun of him when his young but that didn't stop him. He consciously worked on himself, his temper, his emotions, learnt to smile and talk camly and now you hardly notice it. Avoid situations that will get u to flare up and above all be confident

2 Likes

Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by wrench: 6:09pm On Sep 14, 2013
Learn To Talk Slowly And Feel Relax When Talkin.
Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by mandra71(f): 6:13pm On Sep 14, 2013
I forgot to add, have a range of vocabularly esp synonyms so that u can save yourself the stress of trying so hard to say one particular word.

1 Like

Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by azyaq(m): 6:14pm On Sep 14, 2013
CAPITAL NOOOOOOO. Keep managing it
Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by fsb(m): 6:16pm On Sep 14, 2013
1. Do some research, there are a lot of research papers studying the choral effect on stuttering.
2. A while back, a company produced devices that seem to significantly reduce stuttering based on the principle of the choral effect. The device is called Speech Easy. Not sure you can get it in Nigeria though but I may be wrong.

http://www.speecheasy.com/models.php

2 Likes

Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by lasunray(m): 6:19pm On Sep 14, 2013
1. UNDERSTAND YOUR STAMMERING
HABITS
The very first step to get rid of
stammering is by knowing what
exactly makes you stammer. Do you
repeat sounds (s...s...s...supper) or
syllables (su...su...su...supper)? Or do
you prolong sounds (sssssssupper)?
or Do you get blocked in speech so
that you are unable to make any
sound (s...upper)? You also need to
consider what you feel about your
stammer. Do you think it is severe or
quite mild? Is it better in some
situations and with some people?
How do you feel when you are
stammering: embarrassed? Annoyed?
Frustrated?
2. TACKLE YOUR STAMMERING
Having analyzed your stammering
habit, tackle it one element at a time,
starting with something you feel you
might be able to change. For
example, you might take one
sentence of your speech two or three
times a day and make a special effort
to say that sentence slowly and
calmly. Do not allow yourself to rush
or panic when speaking more slowly,
most people do less of stammering.
3. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO TALK IN
PUBLIC
You have probably adopted some
avoidance behaviors to hide or avoid
your stammer. The problem is that
the more you avoid, the more you
need to go on avoiding. . Your
stammering does not improve or go
away because you hide it.
4. KEEP YOUR EYES AND EARS OPEN
Watch and listen carefully when
people are speaking on buses, on
radio phone-ins, at home and in
shops. Is everyone as fluent, concise
and articulate as you imagined? You
may discover that many apparently
fluent speakers are, in fact, quite
hesitant when speaking, and that
there is not such a clear division
between speaking fluently and
stammering. You may then begin to
accept that you do not have to be
fluent all the time.
5. PRACTiCE:
Practice is the key to get rid of
stammering. Take your time to speak
rather than rushing. Speak a bit more
slowly. Be patient with yourself and
say what you want to say, pause for a
moment before you start to speak. Do
not force the words it just makes
them harder to say.
Always remember, only you can help
yourself! These tricks to avoid
stammering are often hard work, and
when you do not work, they do not
help.

2 Likes

Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by Edetbless(f): 6:20pm On Sep 14, 2013
Learn to speak slowly, but not for your interview that is soon i would say join your church choir, singing helps alot, before u know it, it will disappear.

1 Like

Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by Nobody: 6:27pm On Sep 14, 2013
@OP, i want you to try this and thank me later, i mean try it now now now. and let me know if it works for you.
block your ears with your finger,try blocking out the sound of your voice then speak into recorder, as in record your own speech for at least a minute or two. after that replay the speech and see if you stammer or not. if this works, let me know so that i can tell you the next stage.

1 Like

Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by Oduduwaboy(m): 6:33pm On Sep 14, 2013
@op i feel your pain because i also stammer . I am a doctor and i believe i have 1 or 2 things that can be useful for you sir, to tell you.

Speech therapy could be of immense help but that is for the long term . However , in the short term using propranolol 40mg thrice a day 1 day before the interview and 40mg about 2 hours before the interview could be useful . The other tricks of talking slowly are also useful .cheers.

3 Likes

Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by Hummingbird: 6:43pm On Sep 14, 2013
herveze: Pls i need help about my stammering,i have been in this problem since my childhood,i have took many steps to find cure for it but unfortunately for me i cant find any cure even i google it.pls i need your help because i am going to interview on monday and i dont want to face the shame.
I feel your pain @op, am a stammarer too and I know how it feel like and I talk too fast that most people don't what I say,bt what I do are 1. I calm down when talking,I dnt look into people's face,so I wnt see the curosity in their faces..2. I try to smile than speak(I only speak when its damn so necessary) 3. Maybe during or after a fight,I dnt exchange words 4. When am at home,I pronounce difficult words myself e.g denomination,education(words more than one syllable sha) 5. If I know am too fast for comfort or I stammered all through,if my words were incoherent,I try to repeat what I say(its always better and smother the second time) 6. Do not rush to speak and be confident (like if I have an interview or a public function,I rehearse @ home....but remember @op,stammering don't go especially if you talk fast too...peace
Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by reallytired: 6:45pm On Sep 14, 2013
The only remedy I'm aware of is seeing a speech therapist. Don't know if there are any in Nigeria though. All the same I wish you all the best on Monday.
Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by Rossikk(m): 6:47pm On Sep 14, 2013
Take a deep breath before speaking. Or while speaking and you think you're about to stammer.
Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by salesonly: 6:54pm On Sep 14, 2013
i i uuusse toto bbb a sta.sta.stamma.mamarara bbb44. bu bu but na na now it it has im im im..... ok

2 Likes

Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by yemi2plus(m): 6:54pm On Sep 14, 2013
My friend, I'm also in your shoes, though, mine is not that serious. It only becomes serious when I speak pidgin english or when I'm talking with my dad.

Like most people stated, talk slowly and don't rush your words.
Let me give you some tips that are stil helping me.

1. Speak less of pidgin.

2. Read aloud when you're reading any material.

3. Don't rush your words, talk slowly.

4. Woo girls. Yes, woo girls, even if you don't wanna date them. By doing this, you will be watchful of your words cause of the shame it will cost you if you stammer. I do this each time and it works for me.

5. Sing any song you like. I stammer and I can stil rap like drake.

6. Create your own words. As in, there are some words that will make you stammer, try and look for words to replace them. I.e instead of saying "discombubolated" just say "confused"

Goodluck as you go for the interview.

1 Like

Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by Nobody: 6:55pm On Sep 14, 2013

I used to stammer...and I mean terribly! What I did was to learn to speak with a different accent (british), and in that way my mind focuses on forming the accent instead of stammering. Try it.

3 Likes

Re: Please Any Remedy For Stammering by Joyray(f): 7:04pm On Sep 14, 2013
Tnx to ur contributions, am also a. Stammere. My get worst if am angry d next tin is to cry.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pyramid Energy Mat For Sale Now In Nigeria / Chinwe Chibuike Foundation Donates To Essential Workers, Homeless Persons In USA / Kerosene Explosion Burns Nursing Mother Of 7 In Delta(Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.