Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:11 PM

Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible (5890 Views)

Police Shut Enugu Church As Pastors, Supporters Engage In Free-for-all / Fashola Visits Site Of Collapsed Synagogue Church as Death Toll Hits 44 (PHOTOS) / Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by Mescopaul(m): 8:45pm On Sep 13, 2013
The bible made it clear that we should be fruitful and multiply, to this effect i see no reason why the Roman Catholic Church forbids their Reverends in engaging in marriage and thereby raising up families as the Lord has commanded. Forbidding to marry is it not a breech on the law of the bible and the family institution as a whole?
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by murphydon(m): 9:06pm On Sep 13, 2013
my dear...if u read the bible, u will find out that the chief priests do not get married....so why did God not punish them for not getting married...get ur facts right b4 shouting....peace
Mescopaul: The bible made it clear that we should be fruitful and multiply, to this effect i see no reason why the Roman Catholic Church forbids their Reverends in engaging in marriage and thereby raising up families as the Lord has commanded. Forbidding to marry is it not a breech on the law of the bible and the family institution as a whole?
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by Babyremmy(f): 9:15pm On Sep 13, 2013
Even apostle Paul admonisd us to stay as he did bt if we kant contain or control d flesh then we shld get married. Marriage is not compulsory. dats not what God meant by being fruitful alone. he was also refern to d creative ability of man to improve on the world dt he has created

1 Like

Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by Hostermipo(m): 9:27pm On Sep 13, 2013
I don't think they are disobeying the bible. As a priest it is good but if and only if you know you can do it and what i think can bring curse is when you are claiming to be a Rev. Father and having secret affair.............the likes of Paul,majority of Jesus disciples, Jesus himself and John the baptist never get married..... So i can say that getting married is not a must but it is better to get married than falling into the sin of fornication. . . . . . . . . .* Note: am nt a catholist but Baptist*
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by RoyalRoy(m): 9:33pm On Sep 13, 2013
@Op, the Catholic church did not "order" its priest and rev sisters to be single.

Being celibate just like Jesus Christ & John the Baptist is a standard for being a priest or a Reverend Sister in the catholic church. People are not forced into it.

You have to fully convinced by the spirit before you go into priesthood or sisterhood. You have to be prepared before you plunge into it.

Don't misinterprete the bible to suit your personal ego!

1 Like

Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by njideoby(f): 9:36pm On Sep 13, 2013
murphydon: my dear...if u read the bible, u will find out that the chief priests do not get married....so why did God not punish them for not getting married...get ur facts right b4 shouting....peace
Nna,which of de chief priest in de bible didn't marry?
Get ur facts right before deceiving de feeble minded.priesthood started with Aaron who was happily married with children.
Does the name John de baptist ring a bell? Ask what his father's vocation was as well.
Time will fail me to talk about Eli and his family. Or did Peter who you reverence as de foundation (rock) upon whom ur church was built not married as well? Check out de story about his sick mother-in-law whom Jesus healed by Himself.
Apostle Paul's case was just a personal decision,not based on any human ideology nor oaths (calibacy).
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by SalC: 9:40pm On Sep 13, 2013
Mescopaul: The bible made it clear that we should be fruitful and multiply, to this effect i see no reason why the Roman Catholic Church forbids their Reverends in engaging in marriage and thereby raising up families as the Lord has commanded. Forbidding to marry is it not a breech on the law of the bible and the family institution as a whole?
You can read Matt 19 v 12 and tell me what you understand by the statement Jesus made.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by SalC: 9:42pm On Sep 13, 2013
Hostermipo: I don't think they are disobeying the bible. As a priest it is good,if and only if you know you can do it but what i think can bring curse is when you are claiming to be a Rev. Father and having secret affair.............the likes of Paul,Peter all the disciples of Jesus christ, Jesus himself and John the baptist never get married..... So i can say that getting married is not a must but it is better to get married than falling into the sin of fornication. . . . . . . . . .* Note: am nt a catholist but Baptist*
A little correction.

Peter was married.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by Hostermipo(m): 10:20pm On Sep 13, 2013
Sal C: A little correction.

Peter was married.
you are right bro. Thanks
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by Mescopaul(m): 5:19am On Sep 14, 2013
njideoby:
Nna,which of de chief priest in de bible didn't marry?
Get ur facts right before deceiving de feeble minded.priesthood started with Aaron who was happily married with children.
Does the name John de baptist ring a bell? Ask what his father's vocation was as well.
Time will fail me to talk about Eli and his family. Or did Peter who you reverence as de foundation (rock) upon whom ur church was built not married as well? Check out de story about his sick mother-in-law whom Jesus healed by Himself.
Apostle Paul's case was just a personal decision,not based on any human ideology nor oaths (calibacy).
pls tell him 4 me o, i think it was only Paul who didnt marry . No Paul married buh was widowed, so he choose nt to re-marry,
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by Mescopaul(m): 5:26am On Sep 14, 2013
Sal C: You can read Matt 19 v 12 and tell me what you understand by the statement Jesus made.
Jesus was talking abt how pastors(preist, leaders etc) are made. He said some are born to be, others are made so by men, while some took the work upon themselves, he never said anything abt marrying or not marrying
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by Mescopaul(m): 5:37am On Sep 14, 2013
Royal Roy: @Op, the Catholic church did not "order" its priest and rev sisters to be single.

Being celibate just like Jesus Christ & John the Baptist is a standard for being a priest or a Reverend Sister in the catholic church. People are not forced into it.

You have to fully convinced by the spirit before you go into priesthood or sisterhood. You have to be prepared before you plunge into it.

Royal Roy: @Op, the Catholic church did not "order" its priest and rev sisters to be single.

Sorry to say but we find out that most Rev Fathers are nt capable of maintaining the standard, thereby illicit affairs here and there, and that was what Apostle Paul warned against 1 Corinthians 7:2 "NEVERTHELESS TO AVOID FORNICATION LET EVERY MAN HAVE HIS OWN WIFE, AND LET EVERY WOMAN HAVE HER OWN HUSBAND"
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by Mescopaul(m): 5:45am On Sep 14, 2013
Baby remmy: Even apostle Paul admonisd us to stay as he did bt if we kant contain or control d flesh then we shld get married. Marriage is not compulsory. dats not what God meant by being fruitful alone. he was also refern to d creative ability of man to improve on the world dt he has created
Are you selective? Did God say be fruitful only? Genesis 1:28 read that very well, or am i the only one seeing the words: multiply and replenish the earth? If you did see those words can you tell me what the bible was talking about pls?
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by Mescopaul(m): 6:04am On Sep 14, 2013
Hostermipo: I don't think they are disobeying the bible. As a priest it is good but if and only if you know you can do it and what i think can bring curse is when you are claiming to be a Rev. Father and having secret affair.............the likes of 1.Paul,majority of 2.Jesus disciples, 3.Jesus himself and John the baptist never get married..... So i can say that getting married is not a must but it is better to get married than falling into the sin of fornication. . . . . . . . . .* Note: am nt a catholist but Baptist*
1. Bible scholars believed that Paul was married but lost his wife and decided not to re-marry. Paul was a Pharisee,and being a Pharisee requires one that is married. 2. Mention any you know that was unmarried till death. 3. Those were special people, they were sent directly from heaven to fulfill God's plan and purpose for mankind, so they couldn't have been entangled with marriage John 1:6 , John 3:16. These scriptures shows that they were special people sent by God from heaven.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by Hostermipo(m): 7:45am On Sep 14, 2013
Mescopaul: 1. Bible scholars believed that Paul was married but lost his wife and decided not to re-marry. Paul was a Pharisee,and being a Pharisee requires one that is married. 2. Mention any you know that was unmarried till death. 3. Those were special people, they were sent directly from heaven to fulfill God's plan and purpose for mankind, so they couldn't have been entangled with marriage John 1:6 , John 3:16. These scriptures shows that they were special people sent by God from heaven.
get me right am nt in support of the act, but i mean Getting married is not a MUST.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by xynerise: 9:43am On Sep 14, 2013
Mescopaul: pls tell him 4 me o, i think it was only Paul who didnt marry . No Paul married buh was widowed, so he choose nt to re-marry,
Among the 12disciples, it was only Peter that got married
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by Mescopaul(m): 10:52am On Sep 14, 2013
xynerise:
The bible never indicated that, correct me if am wrong, wit bible ref if possible.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by xynerise: 11:30am On Sep 14, 2013
Mescopaul: The bible never indicated that, correct me if am wrong, wit bible ref if possible.
The bible only mentioned Peter's wife
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by nato14(f): 11:37am On Sep 14, 2013
confused bunch. Celibacy should have been optional not a must. Now dey r tinking of marriage,its for evil. Promotinng gays . Mmtschew!!!!!!!!! angry
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by SalC: 5:14pm On Sep 14, 2013
Mescopaul: Jesus was talking abt how pastors(preist, leaders etc) are made. He said some are born to be, others are made so by men, while some took the work upon themselves, he never said anything abt marrying or not marrying
Matt 19 V 12 For there are some eunuchs which were so born from there mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs , which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it. (KJV)

For there are different reasons why men cannot marry: some because they were born that way; others, because men made them that way; and others do not marry for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let him who can accept this teaching do so. ( GNB).

So why did you say its not about marriage.

Or perhaps the word eunuch means pastor?
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by SalC: 5:17pm On Sep 14, 2013
Mescopaul: 1. Bible scholars believed that Paul was married but lost his wife and decided not to re-marry. Paul was a Pharisee,and being a Pharisee requires one that is married. 2. Mention any you know that was unmarried till death. 3. Those were special people, they were sent directly from heaven to fulfill God's plan and purpose for mankind, so they couldn't have been entangled with marriage John 1:6 , John 3:16. These scriptures shows that they were special people sent by God from heaven.
And you believed the bible scholars without a bible reference?
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by SalC: 5:19pm On Sep 14, 2013
Mescopaul: pls tell him 4 me o, i think it was only Paul who didnt marry . No Paul married buh was widowed, so he choose nt to re-marry,
Bible reference please.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by SalC: 5:22pm On Sep 14, 2013
Mescopaul: The bible never indicated that, correct me if am wrong, wit bible ref if possible.
You too have made assertions without bible reference. Maybe you should start by providing them.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by SalC: 5:25pm On Sep 14, 2013
nato.14:
confused bunch. Celibacy should have been optional not a must. Now dey r tinking of marriage,its for evil. Promotinng gays . Mmtschew!!!!!!!!! angry
What is the matter with you.

1 Like

Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by 4C2215131: 5:41pm On Sep 14, 2013
Is it impossible to have a difference of opinion on a subject without it getting all personal,rowdy, and the like in NL.

We keep complaining about our leaders but taking a cue from the attitude displayed by members of NL I doubt many wouldn't make better leaders. It goes beyond being incorruptible you know. Tolerance and humility births true wisdom. Folks let's learn how to agree to disagree.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by Mescopaul(m): 10:46pm On Sep 14, 2013
xynerise:
Its not true, the bible never had any reason or medium to talk abt or make refference to the disciples' wives or family, if Peter's mother inlaw had not had any fever and as such needed no healing frm Jesus who would have known that Peter was married?
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by Mescopaul(m): 11:03pm On Sep 14, 2013
nato.14:
Were are u frm? Pls no one is suporting gay, unless if you,...
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by Mescopaul(m): 11:09pm On Sep 14, 2013
4C2215131: Is it impossible to have a difference of opinion on a subject without it getting all personal,rowdy, and the like in NL.

We keep complaining about our leaders but taking a cue from the attitude displayed by members of NL I doubt many wouldn't make better leaders. It goes beyond being incorruptible you know. Tolerance and humility births true wisdom. Folks let's learn how to agree to disagree.
Thanks, we heard you grin
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by Mescopaul(m): 11:17pm On Sep 14, 2013
Sal C: Matt 19 V 12 For there are some eunuchs which were so born from there mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs , which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it. (KJV)

For there are different reasons why men cannot marry: some because they were born that way; others, because men made them that way; and others do not marry for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let him who can accept this teaching do so. ( GNB).

So why did you say its not about marriage.

Or perhaps the word eunuch means pastor?
Eunuchs to me means castrated or infertile men, and ofcos why should an infertile man talk abt marraige at all ,. But we talking here abt sound men not infertile men.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by SalC: 1:03pm On Sep 15, 2013
Mescopaul: Eunuchs to me means castrated or infertile men, and ofcos why should an infertile man talk abt marraige at all ,. But we talking here abt sound men not infertile men.
Then you are yet to understand what Jesus meant when he said ' some made themselves eunuch for the kingdom of heaven's sake.

Notice that these people made themselves eunuch, that's to say they were not one before then. And Jesus did not mean that you should get yourself castrated. He meant that these people choose to celibacy for the sake of the kingdom of heaven.

That's what Rev Frs do.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by Mescopaul(m): 12:01pm On Sep 16, 2013
Sal C: Then you are yet to understand what Jesus meant when he said ' some made themselves eunuch for the kingdom of heaven's sake.

Notice that these people made themselves eunuch, that's to say they were not one before then. And Jesus did not mean that you should get yourself castrated. He meant that these people choose to celibacy for the sake of the kingdom of heaven.

That's what Rev Frs do.
But it seems that it doesnt favor them, cos we've heard so many stories, it would have been better if they had taken Paul's advice.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible by lacum: 3:09pm On Sep 16, 2013
Mescopaul: But it seems that it doesnt favor them, cos we've heard so many stories, it would have been better if they had taken Paul's advice.
we have also heard stories about some maried pastors who lost after their female members and even males and children. so in this case, are u suggesting that their churches were wrong for sticking to one man one wife or should they also provide them with male wives?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Happy Easter Nairalanders / Prometheus Has Probably Converted Me!!! / How Many Christians Can Boldly Say This..?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.