Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,090 members, 7,821,768 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:06 PM

Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? (5431 Views)

Do Pastors/reverend Fathers/bishops E.t.c Also Pay Tithe? / Are Reverend Fathers And The Catholic Church As A Whole Not Disobeying The Bible / What Do Reverend Fathers Know About Marriages? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by topeokunol: 12:39pm On May 05, 2009
Do Reverend Fathers Have The Experience?

I was in a church wedding just this last weekend in a catholic church. A Rev. father joined them and went ahead to counsel them and gave an exhortation on wedding. I was wondering for a Rev father to join and talk of marriage, I expect one to talk on issues that they have experience on.

They don't marry and would not know what goes on in a family and what it takes to raise and train children. So I personally believe they are not fit to talk on marriages. What do you think?
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by AKO1(m): 1:12pm On May 05, 2009
They can advise because they know the biblical principles on marriage.

But they should not be the last bus stop.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by rhamz: 1:18pm On May 05, 2009
They can give advises based on wat d bibile says, and thats why they advise couples to go for counselling by elderly or xperienced person(s).
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by kenny888: 1:30pm On May 05, 2009
A_K_O:

did you say biblical principles? is that enough? i believe they dont have that quality to join couples and counsel them cos you cant give what you dont have.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by breaker: 1:36pm On May 05, 2009
topeokunol:

I was in a church wedding just this last weekend in a catholic church. A Rev. father joined them and went ahead to counsel them and gave an exhortation on wedding. I was wondering for a Rev father to join and talk of marriage, I expect one to talk on issues that they have experience on.

They don't marry and would not know what goes on in a family and what it takes to raise and train children. So I personally believe they are not fit to talk on marriages. What do you think?

I AGREE. HOW CAN THEY ADVISE ON MARRIAGE WHEN MOST OF THEM ARE GAY OR CHILD MOLESTERS
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by kanayo74(m): 2:08pm On May 05, 2009
priest should not only give advice when it come to the biblical issues, the can still advice when it comes to the basic principles of living.

but when it come to the very delicate matters which they have little or no experience they should refer it to the more experienced adults of the congregation.

this is based on the principle that you cant teach what you dont know.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by charlisco(m): 2:22pm On May 05, 2009
i was wondering about that too,
i think the best advise shud be from those that are married.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by Grouppoint(m): 2:42pm On May 05, 2009
When you consider that hundreds of couples relate their experiences with a reverend father, you will understand the depth of experience that a rev has.

Just like we learn so much in school and university, A clergyman's knowledge and expertise can be garnered from the experience of many others.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by kaghoe(m): 2:51pm On May 05, 2009
i ve always wondered same thing whenever they give counsel to couples. knowing biblical principles, i think, is not enuf. experience is the best teacher
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by otukpo(f): 4:00pm On May 05, 2009
A_K_O:

You are very correct. They know the biblical principles of marriage and every other teaching about Loving ur neighbour as urslf. this is applicable to our relationships with our fellow human beings not just as married couples. There are also marriage sponsors whom the couples choose for this purpose.
Counselling is not restricted to the priest or marriage sponsors, u are also free to seek counsel from whomever u think capable. so its a free world.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by xavier3(m): 4:07pm On May 05, 2009
breaker:

I AGREE. HOW CAN THEY ADVISE ON MARRIAGE WHEN MOST OF THEM ARE GAY OR CHILD MOLESTERS

and wer did u get ur facts from and since wen did u bcome God 2 know dat most of dem r wat u claim dey r. just cause u hear of such stories based on dose tins being done by certain priest doesn't make al of dem guilty of doin such tins.

dont generalise such a scenario
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by xavier3(m): 4:16pm On May 05, 2009
@ breaker

no one is loose from d bondage 2 commit sin until death knocks at ur door. rememba we r human so dont judge, coz ur wordz sound lyk u passed judgement already at al catholic priests
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by lawyer(m): 4:45pm On May 05, 2009
Posted by: charlisco
Insert Quote
i was wondering about that too,
i think the best advise shud be from those that are married

Very Funny undecided

As if married pastors and pastresses dont have relationship problems too? So tell me what i have to learn from a pastor okotie with regards to marriage? That i can divorce my wife and marry a new one with all the fan fare and glamour?

Priests are in a better position to offer good relationship counsel because they are not involved in any kind of relationship blues which wouldconflict their stance when profering advice. Hypocrisy wont be their watch word because they are acting as neutrals and while they cannot fully grasp what a relationship means intoto, they can at least provide for a neutral way of doing things instead of taking a stand supporting one gender alone!
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by xavier3(m): 5:08pm On May 05, 2009
lawyer:

Very Funny undecided

As if married pastors and pastresses dont have relationship problems too?

Priests are in a better position to offer good relationship counsel because they are not involved in any kind of relationship blues which wouldconflict their stance when profering advice. Hypocrisy wont be their watch word because they are acting as neutrals and while they cannot fully grasp what a relationship means intoto, they can at least provide for a neutral way of doing things instead of taking a stand supporting one gender alone!

i agree wit u
d word pastresses was funny grin grin
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by eghosaobas: 5:37pm On May 05, 2009
@ lawyer,
I want to totally disagree with you. Can Rev. fathers talk to couples on sex?can they counsel couples on how to train children?can they counsel a married woman on how to always been in tune to her husband. All these cannot be done without experiences and the Rev fathers neither have sex nor children,so you cant give what you dont have. Rev. fathers are not qualified to counsel couples.Rev Chris could still counsel couples despite he re-married,but a Rev father had never tasted marriage before,so they are realy different.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by md4real(m): 5:43pm On May 05, 2009
not at all? person no marry how him go sabi marriage life?
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by md4real(m): 5:45pm On May 05, 2009
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by eghosaobas: 5:57pm On May 05, 2009
thank you jare.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:25pm On May 05, 2009
@md4real

purson no play football, how im go take argue football? grin

before i got married, i got counselled, i was apprehensive at first but you will find out that it is not a session borne from experience but one of well known relationship principles and psychology, a mix of conflict management and emotional balance,

Beyond this nuttin will prepare you enough for married life, nuttin , you will have to work with scanty information, luck, Prayer and Fasting.

So Rev. Father (as much as i loathe titles) should have some mouth in the matter
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by AmAlone: 7:30pm On May 05, 2009
topeokunol:

I was suppose to agree with you on this if only they were not born and brought up within a family!
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by kokoye(m): 7:42pm On May 05, 2009
Samething as wives who look to Oprah for advice when running their families.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by AmAlone: 7:54pm On May 05, 2009
topeokunol:

I agree with you my dear, only that those Rev. Father too grew up in a family. LoL. Atleast for a few years!
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by Makavelis(m): 8:08pm On May 05, 2009
talkin about experience, i don't think so angry shocked
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by ttalks(m): 8:59pm On May 05, 2009
But Paul the apostle was not married and he gave marriage instructions and advice in the bible which Christians follow.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by AmAlone: 9:06pm On May 05, 2009
Makavelis:

talkin about experience, i don't think so angry shocked

you mean me?
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by luvinhubby(m): 9:51pm On May 05, 2009
ttalks:

But Paul the apostle was not married and he gave marriage instructions and advice in the bible which Christians follow.
Paul was married, his wife either died or left him after his conversion, as a pharisee which paul was, being married is one of the basic criteria for becoming one
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by ziga: 3:38am On May 06, 2009
@Breaker,

be careful of the things that come out of your mouth. Anybody could be listening
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by rhymz(m): 4:24am On May 06, 2009
This is quite a touchy issue as it concerns religion.I beliv rev fatherz also grew up in a families too,they ve parentz & also go thru what any growing child must ve experienced and see in d union of dier parentz coupled with d fact dat they ve a mastery of biblical principles on marriage.But I also beliv dat in practical terms they may not be d best counselors just as an unmarried professional aint d best too cos they both do not ve d practical experiences of thier principles or idea.But I take exceptions to d coment made by a blogger here dat dey aint qualified cos some of them re gay and stuf.That's a lame thing to say,d guy just trivialized d issue to nonsense.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by rhymz(m): 4:30am On May 06, 2009
This is quite a touchy issue as it concerns religion.I beliv rev fatherz also grew up in families too,they ve parentz & also go thru what any growing child must ve experienced and see in d union of dier parentz coupled with d fact dat they ve a mastery of biblical principles on marriage.But I also beliv dat in practical terms they may not be d best counselors just as an unmarried professional counselor aint d best too cos they both do not ve d practical experiences of thier principles or idea.But I take exceptions to d coment made by a blogger here dat dey aint qualified cos some of them re gay and stuf.That's a lame thing to say,d guy just trivialized d issue to nonsense.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by Badriyyah(f): 5:05am On May 06, 2009
No they are NOT.
Re: Are Reverend Fathers Qualified To Advise Couples? by Carlosein(m): 10:33am On May 06, 2009
is experience always the best teacher?

if so, let your kids grow up and experience the world before attending school, let them see the world and make their own
choices (don't advise them against vice).

my point is: one does not always need to be in a state/situation to be able to counsel on it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? / Atheists Comment Required: Deliverance / Why You Need To Avoid Deliverance Ministries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.