Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,217 members, 7,822,102 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering (59644 Views)

Engineering Vs Medicine, Which Is More Expensive To Study / Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. / Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by cheapgadgets6: 10:56pm On Sep 17, 2013
9ijaMan: Apologies first. Someone asked about prospects for Electrical/Electronic Engineering in the O&G field. Unfortunately, I cannot refer back to quote him. If you want to join the E&P industry, the primary goal is for you to start out making a good grade first. I left Ife with honors in Elec/ELec engineering, joined a multinational service firm and worked my way up. Today, I and a few of my Elect/Elec classmates are working as Drilling or Consultant Drilling Engineers. Some companies refer to DEs as Well Engineers. The pay of course is awesome, ranging from $700 to Over $2500 daily depending on experience, knowledge, hardwork and luck.

If you happen to be lucky enough to secure a job, in the industry, regardless of your first degree (as long as it's science or Engineering related), it is more than likely that you'll be trained and retrained, even if you have a second degree.

I'll advice that the pay should not be your end goal for now, that will surely come with time. All you need to focus on is making good grades out of school and the sky will probably be your starting point.

For the person who asked about Environmental Engineering, you also stand a good chance. I used to have a colleague who worked in the wireline logging section of the Multinational I worked for. She had an MSc. in Env. Engrg from s UK Uni and got the job.

Once again, it's good results first if you have no godfather who'll spoon-feed you.
tnx 4ya contribution bro,its alws gud to look b4 one leaps and also prepare onesef for d task ahead aftr sku,dts y advice frm u experts in d field are very useful,am d electrical guy frm 1 of d fed univ of tech in d south west,presently on IT nw in a production company,bt I stl dnt knw wch option to go for wen I resum bk for ma final year out of d 3 option:Computer,Telecoms n Power..cs I'll lik to go into d E n P industry,luks lik I wil b graduatin wt a 2.1 God helpin me,jus strivin to finsh wt a 4. Above GP.So bro,as an Elect engr,I cn rili fit in in2 d drilling sectn,wht are d extra skills or certificatns dt mait b useful or place me ahead of ma peers? Tnx 4ya advice 1 agn(y.akindele@yahoo.com).I'll rily nid lots of advice frm u as a mentor
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 11:15pm On Sep 17, 2013
9ijaMan:

Are both schools taking you on a pre-degree basis...? If the answer is Yes, I'd go to UniBen. If UniBen is offering you to start at 100 level, again UniBen is the way to go. Chemical Engineering may have a wider scope, it's not a guaranty that you'll get a job faster. In your case the name of the school matters. My limited knowledge of both schools is assuming that UniBen is rated higher. It's also likely ther are more Uniben grads working in the O&G industry in Nigeria when compared to UniZik. Having someone who graduated from from your former school on the inetrview panel will certainly boost your chances. Particularly when the choice remains between you and someone else from UniZik.

I no be UniBen grad o! In case some of you start making some wrong assumptions. Greatest Ife is my alma mater.

I think you need to speak with your guys at HR, to tell you more, so long as any school is accredited to offer a particular course, its inconsequential which uni he attended,.

what should bother him more is the course and grade, those school ish only come up when the dept is not accredited. as a matter of fact, under the directives of iSO being oil and gas industry standard, there is no guideline like name or brand of university.

those lies were sold by lecturers who have nothing to tell the students.
take your time and study ISO 9001 industry guidelines to find out more.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 11:23pm On Sep 17, 2013
kenneyyice: Tankz alot 4 dis tread i am in serious confusion right nw cos i got admitted in2 UNIBEN 2 study PETROLEUM ENGINEERING and would also b admitted in2 UNIZIK to study CHEMICAL ENGINEERING tru pre science. Pls which one should is reject and accept nw.. Jugdeing frm job opportunites and other aspects.....

chemical is ok, chemical guys do plant and petrochemical processes which gives you more opportunities.
pet is good but chemical is awesome, funny enough most pet guys function as process engineers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 11:31pm On Sep 17, 2013
lymelyte: @9jaman,i graduated from production engineering recently from uniben with 2.2.do i stand a chance in the E & P,O&G industry? What certification do I need to acquire to stand out from the pack of other graduate? Godbless you and all the experience bros willing to reply my post and to add I am very good in autocad (2D & 3D)

2.2 is a killer in the industry, because you won't even be eligible to apply let alone appear for interview,
production engr? I only heard of them in school haven't met them here, my opinion though.
sharpen your contacts, get your self in a servicing company, get some experience, the certification you will do must fall in line with the experience you have, your experience may work the magic.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 11:35pm On Sep 17, 2013
cheapgadgets6: tnx 4ya contribution bro,its alws gud to look b4 one leaps and also prepare onesef for d task ahead aftr sku,dts y advice frm u experts in d field are very useful,am d electrical guy frm 1 of d fed univ of tech in d south west,presently on IT nw in a production company,bt I stl dnt knw wch option to go for wen I resum bk for ma final year out of d 3 option:Computer,Telecoms n Power..cs I'll lik to go into d E n P industry,luks lik I wil b graduatin wt a 2.1 God helpin me,jus strivin to finsh wt a 4. Above GP.So bro,as an Elect engr,I cn rili fit in in2 d drilling sectn,wht are d extra skills or certificatns dt mait b useful or place me ahead of ma peers? Tnx 4ya advice 1 agn(y.akindele@yahoo.com).I'll rily nid lots of advice frm u as a mentor

power will take you beyond the oil industry, if you know anybody working for GE, you guys need to talk.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by cheapgadgets6: 11:38pm On Sep 17, 2013
jp philips:

power is ok
ok..tnx..wht do u min by servicin coys?
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 11:49pm On Sep 17, 2013
cheapgadgets6: ok..tnx..wht do u min by servicin coys?

by green horn std,
an oil company that doesn't produce oil but render support services to the ones producing oil.
some are owned by foreigners eg shlumberger,saipem, Halliburton ,mi swaco, Rosen etc
while some are owned by Nigerians eg
Nest oil, Tecon, chrome, rockson etc.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by cheapgadgets6: 11:52pm On Sep 17, 2013
jp philips:

by green horn std,
an oil company that doesn't produce oil but render support services to the ones producing oil.
some are owned by foreigners eg shlumberger, Halliburton ,mi swaco, Rosen etc
while some are owned by Nigerians eg
Nest oil, Tecon, chrome etc.

kkies
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by lymelyte(m): 12:17am On Sep 18, 2013
jp philips:

2.2 is a killer in the industry, because you won't even be eligible to apply let alone appear for interview,
production engr? I only heard of them in school haven't met them here, my opinion though.
sharpen your contacts, get your self in a servicing company, get some experience, the certification you will do must fall in line with the experience you have, your experience may work the magic.
Bros see as u tarnish my dream with d 2.2 killer.Production engineering is almost the same as mech engineering.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Nobody: 2:04am On Sep 18, 2013
petrol na chemical,

3 Likes

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Nobody: 2:12am On Sep 18, 2013
Sodiq3: Hey pals,am studying Hausa language in one of nigeria prestigious federal university.so i want to ask if i have any prospect in the oil and gas industry..what if i go for master in islamic religious study,hope that would give me an edge over the engineering graduates?reply asap..

u r in the right field cos terrorism is the end thing dis days, ask shekau, osama or buhari. u might end up leading ombatse. bbc hausa service awaits u.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Nobody: 2:15am On Sep 18, 2013
lymelyte:
Bros see as u tarnish my dream with d 2.2 killer.Production engineering is almost the same as mech engineering.
production is to mech as pet is to chem
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Nobody: 2:26am On Sep 18, 2013
elect, mech, chem, civil, agricultural are the parents while others fall below. under elect-computer,electronics,avionics etc, mech-prod,auto etc, chem-pet,drilling,environmental,process,bio etc, civil-structural,highway etc agric-food, brewery etc. I STAND TO BE CORRECTED
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by MrCalculus(m): 5:57am On Sep 18, 2013
Mr Calculus: whats d difference between petrochemical and petroleum engineering..
and whats d difference between petrochemical and chemical engineering??
PLZ U GUYS SHOULD PLZ REPLY DIS
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by MrCalculus(m): 5:59am On Sep 18, 2013
Mr Calculus: plz u guys should answer dis and also d chances of industrial mathematics
need answers plz o
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by deepwater(f): 6:39am On Sep 18, 2013
Mr Calculus: need answers plz o
A minute please, I will get back to you
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by gbengadada2004(m): 7:11am On Sep 18, 2013
primus_maximus:
In my opinion... In terms of job prospect
1st- Electrical
2nd- Mechanical
3rd- Chemical
4th- Computer
5th- Met & Mats
6th- Civil
7th- Systems/Petroleum
But when it comes to salary range that list rearranges itself very quickly
1st- Petroleum
2nd- Mechanical
3rd- Chemical
4th- Electrical
5th- Systems
6th- Computer
7th- Civil/ Met n Mats
So you have to ask yourself some serious questions b4 making your decision. Keep in mind that only 1-2 petroleum Engrs at most out of 10 from a Nigerian university will make it into the oil and gas industry. Also keep in mind that there are more mechanical engrs in the oil and gas industry than any other engineering department.
(NOTE: IN MY OPINION)

Pls this your opinion in terms of job prospect is it in relation to getting job in oil and gas industry?
I have to ask this because, in these days of telecommunication apart from Electrical, Computer Engineering have more job prospect than Mechanical, Chemical, Petroleum and the other ones you have listed. I have so many jobless friends that studied Mechanical, Chemical, Petroleum etc. Infact the Head of Department of Chemical Engineering in my University once said that if he was opportuned to choose course as an undergraduate again, he will choose Computer Engineering. As an electrical or computer engineer, banks and telecommunication companies like mtn, glo, etisalat, etc are there to employ you.
1st- Electrical
2nd- Computer
Others can follow.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 7:15am On Sep 18, 2013
jp philips:

I think you need to speak with your guys at HR, to tell you more, so long as any school is accredited to offer a particular course, its inconsequential which uni he attended,.

what should bother him more is the course and grade, those school ish only come up when the dept is not accredited. as a matter of fact, under the directives of iSO being oil and gas industry standard, there is no guideline like name or brand of university.

those lies were sold by lecturers who have nothing to tell the students.
take your time and study ISO 9001 industry guidelines to find out more.

Chief,
The issue of "name or brand of University" is very much alive even if we don't want to recognize it. By the way, it's not peculiar to Nigeria alone nor the O&G industry alone. The same thing is obtainable in the UK, that I know for sure at least up until 5 year ago. It's like trying to compare an MBA grad from Lagos Business School with an NBA grad from Wharton/INSEAD/Harvard etc. In the UK, graduates from London Business School's MBA programs are more regarded than those from an Manchester Business school etc.

Does it mean that grads from these top schools are always better, ofcourse not. These are just the fact of life we sometimes have to accept. I used to work for a multinational in O&G firm in Nigeria, back then, only graduates from schools such as Ife, UniLag, ABU, UniBen, Nsuka, UI were employed as International staffs while graduates from other schools were employed as locals. The rule however did change in 2005.

Nonetheless it's not about which school, but each individual's capability. It's just that such prejudices still exist until this day.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 7:18am On Sep 18, 2013

Go thru the thread someone answered the same question earlier.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by cheapgadgets6: 7:24am On Sep 18, 2013
jp philips:

power will take you beyond the oil industry, if you know anybody working for GE, you guys need to talk.
aiit,tnx,doe gat nobody wrkin dia
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Nate7even: 7:47am On Sep 18, 2013
jp philips:

if your civil doesn't cover competence in advanced structural and hydrographic designs (forgive my spelling), well, i cant say exactly how it will be different from the conventional civil we all know, the subsea part of civil is incredible but i doubt if it is offered in Nigeria, most of them that i know are foreigners, can you tell us more on that aspect?
What do u mean by 'conventional civil' ?
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Nate7even: 7:55am On Sep 18, 2013
ojtopsy: I'm a civil structural engineer and i can tell u that in oil servicing co. we hold the ace. no one gets job easily than us. But mech. is a great course sha cos they come next. i use to envy chemical and elect course until we graduated. Come see fk up for em especially chemical guys, it was a sorry tale. when the are taking 15 -20 civil eng. they'll manage to employ 2 chem. guys. Thats how it is in the oil servicing side but for the IOC proper anyone with a foreign MSc is their choice. not minding your first degree.

Summarry : be prepared to go for your MSc b4 NYSC if you are seriuos about working for the IOC( chevron,Exxon etc)
Can you tell me about the work activities of a civil engineer in the field...so in love with civil engineering
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Nate7even: 7:59am On Sep 18, 2013
Ogui eke: ur advice is great i like it. but as for engineering courses:CIVIL ENGINEERING IS D BEST IN D NIGERIAN JOB MARKET. am a civil/structural engineer, i know what am saying.
I belive so too, with the construction industry booming and nigeria still developing, bridges,highrise buildings,tunnels,railways,roads,drainage systems etc are still in very high demands
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by kenneyyice(m): 8:04am On Sep 18, 2013
Tankz peepz but shuld i jugde it base on skul, base on d course or base on job opportunity.... I got petroleum engineering in uniben tru jamb and chemical engineering in unizik tru pre science.. Which one shuld i accept
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by MrCalculus(m): 8:09am On Sep 18, 2013
9ijaMan:

Go thru the thread someone answered the same question earlier.
plz are u guys saying dat petrochemical is similar to petroleum engineering?.cause i always have d thought dat it is similar to chemical engineering...
and also d person who posted about it says dat industrial mathematics is not a good course but i was told dat gettin a degree in dat course can make u work anywhere..
so plz i need ur opinions on dis
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 8:18am On Sep 18, 2013
cheapgadgets6: tnx 4ya contribution bro,its alws gud to look b4 one leaps and also prepare onesef for d task ahead aftr sku,dts y advice frm u experts in d field are very useful,am d electrical guy frm 1 of d fed univ of tech in d south west,presently on IT nw in a production company,bt I stl dnt knw wch option to go for wen I resum bk for ma final year out of d 3 option:Computer,Telecoms n Power..cs I'll lik to go into d E n P industry,luks lik I wil b graduatin wt a 2.1 God helpin me,jus strivin to finsh wt a 4. Above GP.So bro,as an Elect engr,I cn rili fit in in2 d drilling sectn,wht are d extra skills or certificatns dt mait b useful or place me ahead of ma peers? Tnx 4ya advice 1 agn(y.akindele@yahoo.com).I'll rily nid lots of advice frm u as a mentor

Virtually all the options in Elec/Elec Engineering (Power, Control, Instrumentation, Telecoms and to some extent computing) are applicable to the O&G industry. For ease of understanding, let's just assume E&P is a subset of the O&G industry. Hence O&G can be divided into two major components:
1. The E&Ps or Exploration and Production Companies (Oil Producing or Oil Majors such as Shell, Exxon, Agip, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, ConOil, PanOcean, Addax, Nexen etc).
2. The Oil Field Services Companies (e.g. Schlumberger, Halliburton, Baker Hughes, NOV - National Oilwell Varco, TransOcean, Saipem, KCA Deutag, Noble Drilling etc).

Similarly, the E&P sector can be broken down into 2 broad groups, the Upstream and the downstream.
Upstream represents the sector that handles everything about crude oil from beneath the surface of the earth through exploration phase, discovery, drilling and subsequently flowing the well to the surface.
Downstream refers to just about all the processing the oil will pass through once it gets to the surface until it gets into the tank of your car, or generator set (literarilly).

Abeg don't ask me why upstream has to do with below the ground and downstream above the ground, 'cos I know it defies logic.

Back to your question, on what option to specialize in out of Power, Control, Instrumentation, Telecoms and to some extent computing.
Power is most applicable to the downstream sector, e.g. when you have to work with turbines etc. However the other options are applicable to both upstream and downstream, albeit at varying degrees. I chose the Instrumentation & Control option while at Ife. Although this option is actually more applicable on surface (downstream) than subsurface (upstream), I started out with an Oil field services company as a Field Engineer and today, I'm working as a Drilling Professional where I have minimal interactions with any of the 4 or options listed above, besides using my mobile phone and other mobile devices (Telecoms); my office & home computers (Power & computing); and including some sub-surface and surface gauges (instrumentation & control) when I'm completing a well.

I'm honored to be your mentor, just don't ask me too much questions about Elec/Elec Engineering o grin grin!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by ojtopsy: 8:27am On Sep 18, 2013
Nate7even: Can you tell me about the work activities of a civil engineer in the field...so in love with civil engineering
Civil guys support and house everything the chemical/process and pipping guys labored to produce thereby enhancing the integrity of the project. the process guys outline the project while the pipping guys put flesh of pipe routes,nozzles and equipment (mechanical), the instrument and electrical guys put the breath of power and control while the civil guys support, house and erect everything both onshore and offshore. so we get more wrk done than anyone of em. everyonewrks with code. thats all
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by primusmaximus: 8:28am On Sep 18, 2013
gbengadada2004:

Pls this your opinion in terms of job prospect is it in relation to getting job in oil and gas industry?
I have to ask this because, in these days of telecommunication apart from Electrical, Computer Engineering have more job prospect than Mechanical, Chemical, Petroleum and the other ones you have listed. I have so many jobless friends that studied Mechanical, Chemical, Petroleum etc. Infact the Head of Department of Chemical Engineering in my University once said that if he was opportuned to choose course as an undergraduate again, he will choose Computer Engineering. As an electrical or computer engineer, banks and telecommunication companies like mtn, glo, etisalat, etc are there to employ you.
1st- Electrical
2nd- Computer
Others can follow.
To jobs in general.... I think Electrical is 1st without a doubt because they can literally work anywhere (bank, school, farm, telecoms etc)..... why i dint put computer engineering as 2nd is because they have to compete for Jobs with departments like systems Engineering, computer Science and some others.. looking at my list again i think civil should be in top 3 prospects wise
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 8:32am On Sep 18, 2013

in a lay man's term, a petrochemical engr designs processes for crude oil derivatives, its supply (feed), separation processes, quality and distribution. they are mostly employed in the refineries and petrochemical companies, also, you find them in manufacturing industries whose raw materials rely on petroleum derivatives. why there is little emphasis on them is because the petrochemical industry in Nigeria is not developed also the chemical guys do develop their processes.

petroleum engineering has been explained previously.
one is interested in the derivatives of crude while the other is interested in extracting crude.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Nate7even: 8:35am On Sep 18, 2013
ojtopsy:
Civil guys support and house everything the chemical/process and pipping guys labored to produce thereby enhancing the integrity of the project. the process guys outline the project while the pipping guys put flesh of pipe routes,nozzles and equipment (mechanical), the instrument and electrical guys put the breath of power and control while the civil guys support, house and erect everything both onshore and offshore. so we get more wrk done than anyone of em. everyonewrks with code. thats all
I heard about that too,but as a civil engineer do you get down to do the job yourself or do casual workers do it. Not that I am not ready to if that's how it is,I just want to knw
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 8:50am On Sep 18, 2013
9ijaMan:

Chief,
The issue of "name or brand of University" is very much alive even if we don't want to recognize it. By the way, it's not peculiar to Nigeria alone nor the O&G industry alone. The same thing is obtainable in the UK, that I know for sure at least up until 5 year ago. It's like trying to compare an MBA grad from Lagos Business School with an NBA grad from Wharton/INSEAD/Harvard etc. In the UK, graduates from London Business School's MBA programs are more regarded than those from an Manchester Business school etc.

Does it mean that grads from these top schools are always better, ofcourse not. These are just the fact of life we sometimes have to accept. I used to work for a multinational in O&G firm in Nigeria, back then, only graduates from schools such as Ife, UniLag, ABU, UniBen, Nsuka, UI were employed as International staffs while graduates from other schools were employed as locals. The rule however did change in 2005.

Nonetheless it's not about which school, but each individual's capability. It's just that such prejudices still exist until this day.

chief, i asked you to get in touch with HR to streamline that opinion of yours, have you done it? an MBa is not a first degree and we are talking about Nigeria not UK, do that and get back to us. the industry operate on standards and one of such that deals with structure of an organization recognized in the industry is ISO, if ISO does not stipulate that i don't see why we should form opinions based on that.
no doubt there are companies and organizations operating below standard doesn't mean that their disposition should form a benchmark for the industry.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 8:51am On Sep 18, 2013
Nate7even: What do u mean by 'conventional civil' ?

civil as it relates with structural

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Anthony Obikwelu Invents Machine That Converts Pure Water Nylon To Fuel / Man Buys N1500 Pencil In Ikoyi Lagos, Shares Photo / 10 Departments In The University Which Girls Admire Their Guys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.