Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,408 members, 7,954,623 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:13 AM

Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (34873 Views)

National Board For Technical Education Signpost With Public Grammatical Blunder / 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid / Common Grammatical Tautologies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by sugardaddy1(m): 3:55pm On Sep 16, 2013
Question:-

"Better of" or "Better off"

e.g. Will he be better of (off) with the bank job?
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Anuoluwap(m): 3:55pm On Sep 16, 2013
Willgates:

so when can I use "am"

it's better used in form of a question e.g, am I?
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 3:55pm On Sep 16, 2013
JMOI: “12 noon, 12 midnight, 12 am, 12 pm”

If you say “12 am” are you referring to 12 in the night or 12 in the afternoon? Well, strictly speaking, the day ends at 11:59 pm and begins
at midnight so you could be forgiven for referring to midnight as 12 am and noon as 12 pm.

But to avoid ambiguity, it's preferable to dodge any of these entirely. Similarly, saying “12 noon” or “12 midnight” is tautological, because everyone knows that when the clock strikes 12, it’s either midnight or midday (noon).

Other time-related and date-
related errors that are in constant use are:

About the date and cardinal numbers. There aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ cases where one could use the cardinal numbers ( 1st, 2nd...) After months. Here is it. If you wanna use the cardinal number, you insert article ' the'...december the 25th etc.

3:30 (when spoken, it is “half-past 3″, not “three-thirty”)

7:15, 10:45 (when spoken, it should be “quarter past 7″ and “quarter to 11″)

December 25th, January 1st, July 4th (when a date follows the name of a month, it doesn’t come with the rankings “eth”, “first”, “second”, “third” etc; December 25, January 1, July 4 are correct)

“My names are”

It hurts my ears to hear someone say that. When it comes to annoyance, this one carries the day. When we use words just because others have used it and sounded right, this is the result. The correct thing to say remains (and has always been) “my
name is…”

Let’s take a look at a practical example. If Mr. Peter Stevens Smith should introduce himself to someone at the mall and starts with “my name is”, what he would say is, “Hello, my name is
Peter Stevens Smith.” But if he makes the mistake of starting with “my names are”, strictly speaking, he should say something like, “Hello, my names are Peter, Stevens and Smith.” The latter, you’ll agree with
me, sounds very stupid.

Credits:
http://observerreports.com/2013/09/most-annoying-common-grammatical-errors-in-english/
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 3:55pm On Sep 16, 2013
angry It doesn't worth it sad shocked angry
I mentally cringe every time I hear this one.
In fact the emoticons above (what we popularly refer to as smileys) will best describe my reaction when I hear that phrase ''it doesn't worth it''

1 Like

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by phtemie(m): 3:56pm On Sep 16, 2013
Thanks op..Another is "loose" and "lose"..People do misuse the two words in place of each other.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 3:56pm On Sep 16, 2013

If you say “12 am” are you referring to 12 in the night or 12 in the afternoon? Well, strictly speaking, the day ends at 11:59 pm and begins
at midnight so you could be forgiven for referring to midnight as 12 am and noon as 12 pm.

But to avoid ambiguity, it's preferable to dodge any of these entirely. Similarly, saying “12 noon” or “12 midnight” is tautological, because everyone knows that when the clock strikes 12, it’s either midnight or midday (noon).

About the date and cardinal numbers. There aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ cases where one could use the cardinal numbers ( 1st, 2nd...) After months. Here is it. If you wanna use the cardinal number, you insert article ' the'...december the 25th etc.

December 25th, January 1st, July 4th (when a date follows the name of a month, it doesn’t come with the rankings “eth”, “first”, “second”, “third” etc; December 25, January 1, July 4 are correct)

“My names are”

It hurts my ears to hear someone say that. When it comes to annoyance, this one carries the day. When we use words just because others have used it and sounded right, this is the result. The correct thing to say remains (and has always been) “my
name is…”

Let’s take a look at a practical example. If Mr. Peter Stevens Smith should introduce himself to someone at the mall and starts with “my name is”, what he would say is, “Hello, my name is
Peter Stevens Smith.” But if he makes the mistake of starting with “my names are”, strictly speaking, he should say something like, “Hello, my names are Peter, Stevens and Smith.” The latter, you’ll agree with
me, sounds very stupid.

Credits:
http://observerreports.com/2013/09/most-annoying-common-grammatical-errors-in-english/
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 3:56pm On Sep 16, 2013
Something that has no moral Value is now worth being discussed on a public forum, Abeg park well make i see the next sensible thread...Opting peoples grammatical error doesnt make you perfect, if you want to show your skills go and face bros Patric for Benin, and if any raska try am Quote me, you are OYO, #Molenuju
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by emmanuel4758(m): 3:56pm On Sep 16, 2013
usa voilated all dis

1 Like

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by immortalcrown(m): 3:57pm On Sep 16, 2013
1. In Lagos party, we don't burder nobody.

2 You don't know nothing.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 3:58pm On Sep 16, 2013

“My names are”

name is…”

me, sounds very stupid.

Credits:
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by airclipse(m): 3:59pm On Sep 16, 2013
@ Op what about Extreme End?? grin tongue
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 4:03pm On Sep 16, 2013
It doesn't worth it sad shocked angry
I mentally cringe every time I hear this one.
The emoticons above (what we generally refer to as smileys) will best describe my reaction at that phrase ''it doesn't worth it''.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Sicozone(m): 4:03pm On Sep 16, 2013
hmmmmmm.......English no easy oooo
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by immortalcrown(m): 4:06pm On Sep 16, 2013
1. In Lagos party, we don't border nobody.
1 You don't know nothing.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 4:11pm On Sep 16, 2013
nice write up, let me add mine...
1. using 'loose' instead of lose when making statements like, I don't wnt to lose hope/interest, etc.
2.I have 'drank' water instead of I have 'drunk' water..
3. you can't eat your cake and have it instead of you can't have your cake and eat it.
4. using present tense after 'high time'
5.using past tense after did or didn't...
6.NEPA has taken the light instead of there is power cut or interruption.

coming back with more, stay tuned..

btw, how do I say "this okro/ogbono soup dey draw well well" in English

1 Like

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Seewealth(m): 4:12pm On Sep 16, 2013
African mentality! To me arguing about another man's language is getting out dated. go tell a Chinese, a Spaniard or a french man that. Days are gone when speaking good English was the inthing. once you can speak and others can understand, i think it is enough.

1 Like

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by tunnex190: 4:16pm On Sep 16, 2013
Nice one bro. How can we make use of 'but' and 'though' correctly? It seems both are commonly used in complex or compound-complex sentences.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 4:20pm On Sep 16, 2013
Vonwolf: You can't eat your cake and have it vs you can't have your cake and eat it...
This is an interesting scenerio. The correct thing to say is "can't have your cake and eat it." What this simply means is that you can't claim to have your cake while you have eaten it.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 4:23pm On Sep 16, 2013
Willgates:

so when can I use "am"
"Am" always comes before or after "I". Like "I am here," "Am I here?" It cannot be used independently.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 4:25pm On Sep 16, 2013
JMOI: Well, that's it. You can add yours or ask questions if you need clarifications.
WHAT ABOUT BLACKMAIL?
I NOTICED MANY NIGGERIANS DONT KNOW THE MEANING OF BLACKMAIL
OVER HERE, BLACKMAIL=SLANDERING / SPEAKING ILL OF SOMEONE
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by moppie123(m): 4:26pm On Sep 16, 2013
bayusman: how do we pronounce 3:26 in a formal occassion.
twenty-six minutes past 3
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by tlops(m): 4:26pm On Sep 16, 2013
BigBelleControl: Nice one @op.
I want to know if this expression is correct. 'You cannot not do it'.
according to d write up it's wrong to have But o negative words in a sentence. But your statement actually means " you can come" -ve plus -ve equal positive
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by oduaboy1: 4:27pm On Sep 16, 2013
Chai na to go shoot my primary and secondary school english teachers remain;(;(;(
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 4:31pm On Sep 16, 2013

1 Like

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Agimor(m): 4:32pm On Sep 16, 2013
JMOI: Well, that's it. You can add yours or ask questions if you need clarifications.
Nice one op, when is it suitable or rather distinguish the following "has and as".
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by kingk(m): 4:33pm On Sep 16, 2013
@op ------professor of english, firstly I really appreciate you write up. I have this question for you, which of these
expression is correct ......."If you say so" or "If you said so"
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by DonaldGenes(m): 4:35pm On Sep 16, 2013
Kindly tell me which is correct here
Word is Uncountable Noun which is "ADVICE" "I am pretty sure most of us make this tad mistake even during personal colloquy or writing''

A. He gave me an advice.
B. He gave me some advice.
C. *He gave me a piece of advice

A. He gave me a lot of advices.
B. He gave me many advices.
C. He gave me a lot of advice

3(Noun: number/amount/quantity)

A.a big number of tourists/students/
customers etc.
B.a large number of tourists/students/
customers etc.
which is correct here?

1 Like

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by moppie123(m): 4:36pm On Sep 16, 2013
[/b][b]
chiketee: Ok. Nice, but I disagree with some of the points. A celebrity maybe well known but not popular. Being popular has to do with approval and favour by the general public. That's why you have words like 'infamous' for celebrities who lack approval by the public. Hitler was a celebrity but he wasn't popular around the world. My point is popular doesn't mean well known, although for something to be popular it has to be well known. Therefore you can use the phrase popular celebrity for a well known person who has the approval and favour of the people. Not all celebs are popular . The one about three thirty , I also don't get how it's a grammatical error. It's just an alternative way of saying half past three. It's just like someone saying six thirty one in place of six hundred and thirty one.
infamous actually means wicked

1 Like

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 4:36pm On Sep 16, 2013
bayusman: how do we pronounce 3:26 in a formal occassion.
It's still the normal "three-twenty-six" or "twenty-six minutes past three". The only exceptions are things like 3:30, 3:15, 5:45 and 5:00 (you cannot pronounce 5:00 as five zero zero, rather you'll say 5 o'clock).
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by telim: 4:41pm On Sep 16, 2013
if i try my best to speak Good English and you dont understand me,
I go speak pigeon, if you dont understand,
i will speak hausa, nbaka ji ba.
i will speak yoruba, ti o ba gbo.
i will speak nupe, kashi o wo a.
i will speak kakanda, wa ji foro. If you dont understand the aforemention languages
i will use my hand to demonstrate i.e deaf and dumb style.
if you dont understand me, i w'll just say good bye. Shikenah

2 Likes

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by NellyGhenghen(m): 4:41pm On Sep 16, 2013
You forgot, "STRIP N@KED" and "The REASON WHY" very common tautologies.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 4:42pm On Sep 16, 2013
don_salvy:
Question please!

1.Should question mark (?) be used at the end of a sentence that starts 'hope' e.g. Hope u ain't going there(?).
2. What Α̲̅я̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ the differences amongst 'made of', 'made with' and 'made from'?
1. Yes, but it's contextual. When you are wishing somebody well like, "Hope you are fine", you don't add a question mark. But when it comes in form of a request or a direct question like the example you gave above, a question mark should end it.
2. "Made of" should be used when the thing comprises mainly of that material you are talking about, in such a way that if the process is reversed, you can get that material back. For example, a cup is made of plastic (when reversed you can get plastic back), a chair is made of wood (you can get the wood back is you take the chair apart), etc. "Made from" is used when there are several materials involved and you are referring to one of them, and when you reverse it you can't get that material back. For example, bread is made from flour, if you reverse bread you won't get flour back. "Made with" can be used interchangeably with "made from".

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Eyitope Ogunbodede Is Obafemi Awolowo University's New Vice Chancellor / Ogungbemi Tolulope, Best Graduating Student UNILAG, Physiotherapy Department / Outrage As UNIBEN Security Slaps Student Over Alleged Indecent Dressing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.