Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,658 members, 7,820,297 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:42 PM

Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (34611 Views)

National Board For Technical Education Signpost With Public Grammatical Blunder / 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid / Common Grammatical Tautologies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by DonaldGenes(m): 4:45pm On Sep 16, 2013
moppie123: [/b][b][/b]infamous actually means wicked

[b]correct "✓✓" two signs for you
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by DonaldGenes(m): 4:50pm On Sep 16, 2013
JMOI: “Infidel”

This word is usually (mis)applied when one is referring to an unfaithful partner in a romantic relationship. In fact, an infidel
actually means an unbeliever; someone who doubts the central tenets of a particular religion, especially Christianity. It has nothing
to do with “infidelity.”

“First Come, First Serve”

Have you ever been to an
establishment and you were told that “customers are only attended to on a first come, first serve basis”?

Have you innocently used those words before? I guess you have, and I also believe that you didn’t know it’s wrong. Next time, what you
should say is “first come, first served“.

“Is Because/the reason why”

Using it makes one sound brainless and look stupid, but that has not prevented people from saying this anytime the need for it arises. The words “is” and “because” serve the same purpose in certain situations and cannot be used together in those circumstances. Instead of
using “it is because", use “is that”.

The same goes for “the reason why”; instead of using “the reason why”, use “the reason is that.”

“Some Certain”

This is similar to the “reason why” scenario I pointed out above. “Some” and “certain” basically mean the same thing and when you say “some certain”, you are actually saying “some some” or “certain certain.”

Credits:
http://observerreports.com/2013/09/most-annoying-common-grammatical-errors-in-english/

✓✓
✓✓
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by dkingsman82(m): 4:53pm On Sep 16, 2013
9ce 1
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Austeenxx: 4:53pm On Sep 16, 2013
Wow! Good job, OP.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by NellyGhenghen(m): 4:55pm On Sep 16, 2013
don_salvy: 2. What aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ the differences amongst 'made of', 'made with' and 'made from'?

MADE OF- natural composition(s) of the object. e.g molecules are made of atoms, the earth is made of gases rocks and water.

MADE WITH- An object which was created with another object(s). e.g That statue was made with clay and sticks.

MADE FROM- An object which has been created out of another object(s). e.g petrol is made from crude oil.

wink wink

2 Likes

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by cybernd: 4:56pm On Sep 16, 2013
A Celebrity is a famous person, go and check your dictionary. It is a tautology to make expressions as "Popular Celebrity"pick one and drop the other.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by leonshom(m): 4:56pm On Sep 16, 2013
One thing about English language is that,it changes overtime ! At a point,all doz stuff u wrote myt nt be even relevant !
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by spiro4real(f): 4:59pm On Sep 16, 2013
Willgates:

so when can I use "am"

"Am" is used when one is asking a question. Eg. Am I in the right thread?, am I saying the right thing? Etc.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by DonaldGenes(m): 5:01pm On Sep 16, 2013
BigBelleControl: Nice one @op.
I want to know if this expression is correct. 'You cannot not do it'.

✗✗
✗✗
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by shegzi(m): 5:02pm On Sep 16, 2013
Pls expanciate more on 'IN' and 'AT'
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by DonaldGenes(m): 5:03pm On Sep 16, 2013
spiro4real:

"Am" is used when one is asking a question. Eg. Am I in the right thread?, am I saying the right thing? Etc.

✓✓✓✓
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 5:06pm On Sep 16, 2013
$ugardaddy:
Question:-

"Better of" or "Better off"

e.g. Will he be better of (off) with the bank job?
Better off means that it will be better for him to do that, while "better of" means a totally different thing altogether. It means to overcome, overpower or become too much for something. So the correct thing is "better off."

2 Likes

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by mustaphagreens(m): 5:13pm On Sep 16, 2013
kunlesehan: thank God 4 pidgin english o
we give up! ( yuzedo's voice )
Pidgin english? No,that's wrong! pidgin is a language and so it's expected that u either use/say pidgin or pidgin language and not pidgin English because English has no other type called pidgin aside British and American. I hope my point was clear.

3 Likes

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by vicchi12(f): 5:13pm On Sep 16, 2013
I aint gonna wanna not follow the rules smiley..correct?..

lol..just kidding!
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by eslathomas(m): 5:13pm On Sep 16, 2013
tell them. but emm... the issue of two negatives in a sentence...
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JOYCEOUS(f): 5:13pm On Sep 16, 2013
JMOI: "Am" always comes before or after "I". Like "I am here," "Am I here?" It cannot be used independently.

Meaning 'I am' is same as I'm?
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by NellyGhenghen(m): 5:15pm On Sep 16, 2013
shegzi: Pls expanciate more on 'IN' and 'AT'

basic difference

IN- when you are in an enclosed/specific space. eg In my room, in my house .

AT- When you are at an undefined point. eg At the bus-top, At the door, at the beach.

For example if I call you and you say "i'm in the library, i will understand that you are "inside" the library. but if you say i'm at the library, i'd take it, you are probably infront of the library or something.

2nd example: if you call your friend and he asks, "where are you?" you'd say "I'm at your house, waiting for you" because you are outside the house(could be in front of his aboki's kiosk or anywhere), 10mins pass and your friend arrives you both go in, and another friend calls you and asks, "where are you?" your reply will be i'm 'in' ben's house" cos now you are "inside" the house.

wink wink

4 Likes

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by hollypagan: 5:19pm On Sep 16, 2013
thanks poster ppl like me can learn this
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by mustaphagreens(m): 5:22pm On Sep 16, 2013
Donalð Genes:

✗✗
✗✗
No,it's not correct. You either use cannot or can't(as a contraction of cannot).
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by shakur1234(m): 5:23pm On Sep 16, 2013
And another one which people say is "CHANGE" AND "BALANCE" .People dont know the different between this two words.
Check your dictionary for further clarification.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 5:26pm On Sep 16, 2013
tunnex190: Nice one bro. How can we make use of 'but' and 'though' correctly? It seems both are commonly used in complex or compound-complex sentences.
"But" and "though" are used when you are contrasting what you said previously. The only difference is that "though" can be used to end a sentence, but "but" can't be used to end a sentence. "I'm tired, but I could still do it, though". You cannot say, "I'm tired, but I could still do it, but."
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 5:30pm On Sep 16, 2013
Agimor: Nice one op, when is it suitable or rather distinguish the following "has and as".
I don't understand the question you asked.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by free37: 5:30pm On Sep 16, 2013
nice.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 5:33pm On Sep 16, 2013
kingk: @op ------professor of english, firstly I really appreciate you write up. I have this question for you, which of these
expression is correct ......."If you say so" or "If you said so"
Hahaha... I'm not a professor of English. The correct thing is, "If you say so." It's just like saying, "If you insist", instead of saying "if you insisted."
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by djoe21(m): 5:34pm On Sep 16, 2013
The wrong usage of CHANCED comes to mind e.g I was not chanced to attend the party. 'Chanced' meaning unexpected or accidental should be used properly e.g I chanced upon an old friend at the party... it was chanced that the bus arrived late Yesterday...we chanced on an old school mate while in Abuja...

P.s: Nice n thanks @op
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 5:37pm On Sep 16, 2013
Donalð Genes: Kindly tell me which is correct here
Word is Uncountable Noun which is "ADVICE" "I am pretty sure most of us make this tad mistake even during personal colloquy or writing''

A. He gave me an advice.
B. He gave me some advice.
C. *He gave me a piece of advice

A. He gave me a lot of advices.
B. He gave me many advices.
C. He gave me a lot of advice

3(Noun: number/amount/quantity)

A.a big number of tourists/students/
customers etc.
B.a large number of tourists/students/
customers etc.
which is correct here?
1. All of them are correct, but C is more universally accepted.
2. C
3. B
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 5:46pm On Sep 16, 2013
shegzi: Pls expanciate more on 'IN' and 'AT'
Use "in" when referring to a big/large place and "at" when talking about a smaller place.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by JMOI: 5:48pm On Sep 16, 2013
JOYCEOUS:

Yep.
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by NellyGhenghen(m): 5:48pm On Sep 16, 2013
JOYCEOUS:

I'm is short for "I + am"(EG I "am" a boy) which is totally different from "AM" which on the other hand is the singular 1st person conjugation of the verb "To BE". If you understand this, there is noway you could mix the both.

wink wink

1 Like

Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Stunner1(f): 5:49pm On Sep 16, 2013
Nice 1 @ OP
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Nobody: 5:54pm On Sep 16, 2013
Am not reading all this rubbish angry
Re: Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English by Yemak74: 6:03pm On Sep 16, 2013
@op, pls correct this.... thank u so very much.... presenters use it a lot, is it actually correct. also, she isn't going nowhere...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

400 Level UNIOSUN Student Found Dead After Missing For Days (see Photos) / WAEC Releases 2018 WASSCE Results: How To Check / How To Make A First Class Or Distinction In School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.