Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,057 members, 7,818,173 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:27 AM

Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" (22639 Views)

Check Out My Son @1 / Picture Of My Son Preparing For School For The First Time / To Choose Btw Son's Birthday Or Step Son's School Fees! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Andyblaze: 7:18pm On Sep 17, 2013
Yes they are...i have ph.d
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by lifestyle1(m): 7:20pm On Sep 17, 2013
Name of the school....
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by homesteady(m): 7:20pm On Sep 17, 2013
grin
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Muscomide: 7:27pm On Sep 17, 2013
No such thing as over teaching. You will be amazed at the ability and capability of the human mind, even at such a young age as 4.

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by agabaI23(m): 7:29pm On Sep 17, 2013
Your son should be in primary 1 at age 5. That means at age 4, he should be in nursery 3.
He is behind! Overtaught? No!

2 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 7:31pm On Sep 17, 2013
comprende: My son is just 4 years five months old and has just moved to the Nursery two equivalent in his school.

I kind of worried about the level of education they are providing, as I feel it is far above what a child his age should be put through. My wife is ok with it though and has told be to stop fussing. I'm putting my concerns on this forum to find out if my fears are unfounded or if I need to move my son to another school. Let me explain further.

My belief is that a child in Nursery school should mainly be involved with rhymes, art, counting a few numbers, learning the alphabet and a few basic English words. But while in Nursery one, my son's school has been teaching him to write numbers from 1 - 120 for instance, reading words and making sentences, some little addition and subtraction. Now in Nursery two, they have started learning vowels and consonants, making sentences and writing them, and I don't know yet if they might introduce multiplication and division!!!

Maybe my I'm too old school but my memories of nursery school were painting, singing nursery rhymes and playing with plasticine. I don't want to agree with the idea that times have changed cos these schools copy the American and British syllabuses, yet they force these kids to learn stuff meant for classes a step or two higher.

I'm throwing this to parents out there. Please advice.

Interesting matter. While the school might be thinking they are improving their teaching standard by teaching their students in an advanced way, I see no reason why they have to teach children things they do not need to learn yet. What's wrong in teaching the students Nursery rhymes, two letter and three letter words, etc.

Nigerian school are not bad because schools are not teaching above what they should teach but are bad because: take for example some of the textbooks they use in teaching students are the ones that were used/made in the 90s.

ALL IS SEE IS MISPLACED PRIORITIES!!!
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by iukpe: 7:31pm On Sep 17, 2013
My concern is not about my kid's school but rather at my kid's interest in learning. He is 3 yrs and 5 months old, and has no interest in identifying numbers or alphabets. However he can recite rhymes, say the numbers a bit above 1-10, he is very good with people's names but will not do anything when u ask him to. He will not concentrate when your trying to show him, he will shut his eyes and if you try to get him focus, he will cry. He also will not trace lines or connect dots or make meaningful progress to learning.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 7:32pm On Sep 17, 2013
How can one "over teach"? It seems this parent was "under taught"!

2 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 7:34pm On Sep 17, 2013
[size=15pt]At the END all these schools go dey claim say dem dey devote enough TIME to tutor these pupils yet na farcry from the real THINGS wey parents/guardians expect[/size]

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by igbeke: 7:46pm On Sep 17, 2013
my daughter is just 3 and in Nursery 1.
She can do some simple additions and subtractions.
she also reads and writes two and three letter words.
how abt dat?
Its END TIME THINGS. lol.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Exponental(m): 7:47pm On Sep 17, 2013
If it's not a forceful or cramming education system, I think it's ok. If the brain can take it, put it there. Why wait n make d brain redundant. The educational system in d past couldnt av been d best.
I insist, AS LONG AS IT IS NOT A FORCEFUL or/and CRAMMING METHOD, PLS LET IT BE.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by 300wayne: 7:47pm On Sep 17, 2013
tpia.:

You are sensitive to what YOU perceive as criticism, not to mention your chip on the shoulder makes you see every comment that doesnt tow your line, as an insult, yet you open a thread for people to rain abuse on your alleged child's school, on your behalf.

Typical nler.

The only thing i'm gleaning from your rant is you dont want anyone asking why dont you change your child's school ( lets assume you are not role acting), but instead are looking for who will help you abuse schools in general.

Boko haram things?
grow up pls

3 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by donigspain(m): 7:54pm On Sep 17, 2013
@OP,
Sorry to say this but they (mostly private schools) are turning your sweet son into a ROBOT (programmed machine) with little or no basic social traits which is even what is greatly required of a person to survive in this present environment of survival of the fittest. Go to Madona, Caritas, Renaissance etc and there you will find intelligent dummies that behave little kids still feeding from bottles.

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by tpia5: 8:03pm On Sep 17, 2013
engineerd: How can one "over teach"? It seems this parent was "under taught"!

Definitely.

He says all he did in nursery school was play with plasticine or some such.

Unfortunately, there are parents who do feel education is not suitable for their kids.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by chucky234(m): 8:04pm On Sep 17, 2013
Your son is on a suicide mission.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by donigspain(m): 8:09pm On Sep 17, 2013
iukpe: My concern is not about my kid's school but rather at my kid's interest in learning. He is 3 yrs and 5 months old, and has no interest in identifying numbers or alphabets. However he can recite rhymes, say the numbers a bit above 1-10, he is very good with people's names but will not do anything when u ask him to. He will not concentrate when your trying to show him, he will shut his eyes and if you try to get him focus, he will cry. He also will not trace lines or connect dots or make meaningful progress to learning.
Hmmm, such erratic behaviour does have a relationship with >>>schizophrenia or its elder brother >>>autism but I pray it ain't any of them. Might just be normal child behavioural trait gotten from the parents.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by gunners160(m): 8:11pm On Sep 17, 2013
Sha me i kant talk much but go nd watch daddy day care by edy murphy.seriously i learnt alot 4rm dat film.we might think d film is all about comedy but seriously it is more dan dat.d kids were over stressed dey played d keyboard do all sort of things but dey were neva happy.nt until wen edy went to down 2 dhr level gud luck

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by SELFWORTH: 8:13pm On Sep 17, 2013
Education is a combination of many things design to stimulate and engage the mind. It's not just art and playing with rubber ducks.

If the child is happy in the school am not sure I understand the fuss. Follow the child's heart not mummy or daddy's.

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by baby124: 8:16pm On Sep 17, 2013
donigspain: Hmmm, such erratic behaviour does have a relationship with >>>schizophrenia or its elder brother >>>autism but I pray it ain't any of them. Might just be normal child behavioural trait gotten from the parents.

LMAO. WTF is wrong with you. How can you say that to a mother. cheesy

iukpe: My concern is not about my kid's school but rather at my kid's interest in learning. He is 3 yrs and 5 months old, and has no interest in identifying numbers or alphabets. However he can recite rhymes, say the numbers a bit above 1-10, he is very good with people's names but will not do anything when u ask him to. He will not concentrate when your trying to show him, he will shut his eyes and if you try to get him focus, he will cry. He also will not trace lines or connect dots or make meaningful progress to learning.

Go to his school and find out who his friends are. It can even be a girl he has a crush on. Invite her to play at your house, then give her color books to play with. I assure you he will start fighting to color the book better than the friend. it could also be your approach. Maybe you are being too forceful. Maybe you need to do connecting the dots by example. And make it seem very interesting to do. He obviously has a very good memory. You just need to develop his interest. Seems like a strong willed boy too. So you wont get anywhere forcing him. Goodluck.

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by tpia5: 8:17pm On Sep 17, 2013
The parent still has a responsibility towards the child's learning, especially in the early stages.

Its unfortunate most nlers would rather prioritize things like which of them should give each other b.low job, than make any meaningful contribution towards their children's cognitive function.

But they can criticize and form bad belle at other people who reason differently though!

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Gunzilla(m): 8:19pm On Sep 17, 2013
tpia.:
of course he can also discuss with the teacher and have them scale down whatever they're teaching his child, but clearly, to him, thats not an option.

This girl..you seriously need to go get laid..!Always angry and snippy at everybody..smh..

2 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by tpia5: 8:20pm On Sep 17, 2013
baby_123:

LMAO. WTF is wrong with you. How can you say that to a mother. cheesy

Go to his school and find out who his friends are. It can even be a girl he has a crush on. Invite her to play at your house, then give her color books to play with. I assure you he will start fighting to color the book better than the friend. it could also be your approach. Maybe you are being too forceful. Maybe you need to do connecting the dots by example. And make it seem very interesting to do. He obviously has a very good memory. You just need to develop his interest. Seems like a strong willed boy too. So you wont get anywhere forcing him. Goodluck.

True.

He also has to check the family history and in order to see which learning pattern will work for the child. For example, determine if its a family trait and then work with that to find the best way to help the child learn.

If its a medical issue, then it should also be addressed, but i'm not sure if its too early to tell.

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by tpia5: 8:23pm On Sep 17, 2013
Hey, the cultists on the thread should frigging get off my back plz!!!!!!

Take your nuisance elsewhere.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 8:24pm On Sep 17, 2013
comprende: My son is just 4 years five months old and has just moved to the Nursery two equivalent in his school.

I kind of worried about the level of education they are providing, as I feel it is far above what a child his age should be put through. My wife is ok with it though and has told be to stop fussing. I'm putting my concerns on this forum to find out if my fears are unfounded or if I need to move my son to another school. Let me explain further.

My belief is that a child in Nursery school should mainly be involved with rhymes, art, counting a few numbers, learning the alphabet and a few basic English words. But while in Nursery one, my son's school has been teaching him to write numbers from 1 - 120 for instance, reading words and making sentences, some little addition and subtraction. Now in Nursery two, they have started learning vowels and consonants, making sentences and writing them, and I don't know yet if they might introduce multiplication and division!!!

Maybe my I'm too old school but my memories of nursery school were painting, singing nursery rhymes and playing with plasticine. I don't want to agree with the idea that times have changed cos these schools copy the American and British syllabuses, yet they force these kids to learn stuff meant for classes a step or two higher.

I'm throwing this to parents out there. Please advice.

The reason mankind continues to exist is because we keep getting smarter. Trust me, what they are teaching them is normal. If you expect your childs assimilation rate to be the same/on par with yours when you were young, your child will be left behind. The brain of the modern day child is way more advanced than "WE" the old timers. "2" year olds know how to operate IPADS, iphones, cellphones and what have you nowadays. It is okay. Don't sweat it

2 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 8:31pm On Sep 17, 2013
I read that the human mind will learn 80'/, of all he/she will ever know between the ages of 1 and 5, so bro this is information to ponder on.

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Boll2010: 8:43pm On Sep 17, 2013
nora544:

That is how it should be.

Please don't go the way they make it in Japan because they start with this early learning programm and they have much problems.

A child should be a child and a child has time to learn when he is 6 years old and not before.
monsieur is lyk u don't get wat d man is sayin sir
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by claremont(m): 8:46pm On Sep 17, 2013
Actually, Tpia has made a very good point.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by iamdsam: 8:52pm On Sep 17, 2013
It's good only if he's catching up with it but a waste of time if he's not catching up

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by seedord247(m): 8:52pm On Sep 17, 2013
I dont know the reason why everyone now hate madam tpia.

She's one of the founding mothers of NL and she deserves a fleer respect. grin

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by iamdsam: 8:58pm On Sep 17, 2013
Audrey I: @topic: As incredible as it sounds(and I know this sounds far fetched) but, my daughter will be starting in at Nursery 1 on Monday and she writes 1 - 200 on her own. She's 3. She can also do basic additions, subtractions and can write two and three letter words. Just like your son, she's also been taught basic sentence construction. So your son's school is not over doing it.

While I understand your concerns about your child developing at a reasonable pace, I still feel you should be proud of him and the school, especially if he's recieving a well rounded education that includes mental, physical, social and moral developement.

Truth is, we live in a highly competitive world, and it isn't too early to begin to equip your child with much needed education, especially in this era where most employers operate a policy of 'the younger, the better.'
My best comment. This is the simple fact

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 9:00pm On Sep 17, 2013
claremont: Actually, Tpia has made a very good point.
I was actually going to say something like that.
Of all the posts here, she wrote like a guru in the field and I must commend her for that.

Thumps up Tpia.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Can I Advise A Serial Cheat And Failure Of A Father? / My Wife Nags A Lot / A Bitter True Story Of My Child's Delivery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.