Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,788 members, 7,820,760 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:03 PM

Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" (22644 Views)

Check Out My Son @1 / Picture Of My Son Preparing For School For The First Time / To Choose Btw Son's Birthday Or Step Son's School Fees! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by iamdsam: 9:02pm On Sep 17, 2013
pickabeau1: More important than writing

Does the child understand what ten or twenty is

Or else its just rote
He got to know how to write it first before understanding it later as he grows up. My opinion
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 9:03pm On Sep 17, 2013
it is not much. the present school curriculum allows that. in nursery 2 he should be doing some spellings and up to multiplication.
what we learn in our days is far less than what is taking place now. That is why they are smarter. at 5 years my son have started reading some story books and bible words, at a point i wanted to complain just like you but i kept quiet when i found out the he wasn't the best in his' class.[quote author=A-town]

comprende: My son is just 4 years five months old and has just moved to the Nursery two equivalent in his school.

I kind of worried about the level of education they are providing, as I feel it is far above what a child his age should be put through. My wife is ok with it though and has told be to stop fussing. I'm putting my concerns on this forum to find out if my fears are unfounded or if I need to move my son to another school. Let me explain further.

My belief is that a child in Nursery school should mainly be involved with rhymes, art, counting a few numbers, learning the alphabet and a few basic English words. But while in Nursery one, my son's school has been teaching him to write numbers from 1 - 120 for instance, reading words and making sentences, some little addition and subtraction. Now in Nursery two, they have started learning vowels and consonants, making sentences and writing them, and I don't know yet if they might introduce multiplication and division!!!

Maybe my I'm too old school but my memories of nursery school were painting, singing nursery rhymes and playing with plasticine. I don't want to agree with the idea that times have changed cos these schools copy the American and British syllabuses, yet they force these kids to learn stuff meant for classes a step or two higher.

I'm throwing this to parents out there. Please advice.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by QEFRAN6: 9:06pm On Sep 17, 2013
@Op,I dnt think the school is over teaching ur son...we learnt stuff like dat in our house b4 we even start sch and at such age,cos mumsy is a teacher and it had no negative effects on all of us.(Me and my siblings) rather it adds to us,there is no day I don't get compliment on ma handwritting excecpt I didn't go out or write and eachtime I remember my mum cos she did a gr8 job...all u need do is support ur son by putting him through wen he comes back home.As soon as a child begins to talk,anoda level of learning sets in,humans hav the ability to learn a lot of things under condusive environments...I think u shd b proud that he is not being draged backward,rather moving forward and standing tall.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by iamdsam: 9:10pm On Sep 17, 2013
hob200: I am an educationist and I run a school and i can tell you categorically they are over doing it. That time between the age of 0-6 is meant for children to learn thru play, they need to learn sensorial abilities, develop their physical and social life and try to understand the world we leave in not burden them with so much numbers and alphabet. Research has shown that it is wrong to do that to a child. If you need more clarification just ask I will be willing to give you base on a professional point of view.
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by tpia5: 9:11pm On Sep 17, 2013
the next person who mentions my name in an uncomplimentary manner on this thread, ko ni da fun e ati iran e.

i am not a jungle beast like you, go find your fellow chimpanzees to f.cuk on!

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Kanwulia: 9:18pm On Sep 17, 2013
Instead of 'percolating' on NL like a BURNT coffee-pot, why not get with other parents and validate or in-validate you observation?

How are you being your child's advocate by SIMPLY VENTING ON AN ENTERTAINMENT forum? undecided
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by iamdsam: 9:19pm On Sep 17, 2013
alutacontinua:

@bolded is the cold hard truth. I have an 18-yr old in my class...clinical phase of medicine (that's like part 4 in Nigeria)...she's a very intelligent girl and people are alwayz envying her. I'm sure she must have learnt 1-200 before she was 6 for her to have made it that far. Whether we like it or not, the world has gone beyond a 21-yr old child still struggling with JAMB. The truth is our brain can take a lot of tinz, we're d ones that under-estimate it. I think if the child can handle it, let him/her be! The competition out there is not a joke!
You're just posting crab. Nigeria isn't in any competition or whatever is going on in the world. Can the schools even admit all those who pass? Are there jobs? What the hell are you posting? Thank God for people like Bill Gates. Everybody must not go to school. Foolish Nigerian mentality you got. No sorry

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 9:20pm On Sep 17, 2013
claremont: Actually, Tpia has made a very good point.
Ofcourse she has, albiet vituperatiously though.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by gidjah(m): 9:21pm On Sep 17, 2013
pfii: I don't think ur son's school is over-teaching as I am a teacher myself but for a Nursey 1 pupil writing 1-120. Mehn, that's too much sha. But in Nur2, he should leaarn to write 1-100, form simple sentences, do picture reading and basic addution not subtraction yet.

Any other questions u have, I'd be glad to answer.
no ma!! for a nursery sch kid getting into addition n subtraction, 1-120!!dats quite hmmm.. my lovely angel is nw in nursery 1.she is bin tot drawing of circles, n other shapes .she still bin tot 1-40,rhymes. wt am I trying to put up? dats quite much sir, dnt allow dem damage d kids brain. were did dey get d curriculum. dey hv bin using?
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by tpia5: 9:36pm On Sep 17, 2013
^ for goodness sake type in english, especially when on a thread about education.

What is that crap you wrote there?

It scares me to think you have a kid!

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 9:50pm On Sep 17, 2013
U better be happy.. was at the galleria some months back when I saw these kids teaching me manners. . They age 7 and 9.. the girl is 9year old telling me its very rude of me to sit while I watch her stand; that I should be a gentleman and let her sit and the brother age 7 nodded affirmatively... u go fear nobody teach me before I stood up for the both of them

3 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 9:55pm On Sep 17, 2013
sanniemoe: U better be happy.. was at the galleria some months back when I saw these kids teaching me manners. . They age 7 and 9.. the girl is 9year old telling me its very rude of me to sit while I watch her stand; that I should be a gentleman and let her sit and the brother age 7 nodded affirmatively... u go fear nobody teach me before I stood up for the both of them
grin grin grin
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by drnoel: 9:59pm On Sep 17, 2013
tpia.:

You are sensitive to what YOU perceive as criticism, not to mention your chip on the shoulder makes you see every comment that doesnt tow your line, as an insult, yet you open a thread for people to rain abuse on your alleged child's school, on your behalf.

Typical nler.

The only thing i'm gleaning from your rant is you dont want anyone asking why dont you change your child's school ( lets assume you are not role acting), but instead are looking for who will help you abuse schools in general.

Boko haram things?
Madam accept simple correction and stop derailing a good thread (hisses)!!! Typical NLer.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 10:02pm On Sep 17, 2013
hob200: I am an educationist and I run a school and i can tell you categorically they are over doing it. That time between the age of 0-6 is meant for children to learn thru play, they need to learn sensorial abilities, develop their physical and social life and try to understand the world we leave in not burden them with so much numbers and alphabet. Research has shown that it is wrong to do that to a child. If you need more clarification just ask I will be willing to give you base on a professional point of view.
I second all you've said. They are simply overdoing it and overdoing things especially when it comes to the education of young kids is not good.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by AudreyI(f): 10:10pm On Sep 17, 2013
@passing shot: Luckily for me, your disbelief will not change the facts. No one has anything to prove on a faceless forum, least of all me. The fact that you find my assertions hard to believe only makes me kneel down and thank God for the rare gift I have in my daughter.

@OP: Please allow your child's full potential to be harnessed. If he isn't showing signs of strain, and is enjoying what he is learning, then encourage him and congratulate the school.

To those who believe a giving a child an education that is above par has disadantages, I'd honestly like to hear what those disadvantages are.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 10:21pm On Sep 17, 2013
comprende: Thanks to those who had proper responses, suggestions and advice. I learnt from what you had to say, especially the two teachers. Of course I could have spoken with friends, colleagues or associates around to find out what they think about the issue. But I put my post on Nairaland to enable me sample a wider range of opinion.

I initially felt like taking on @tpia, but I decided to just let it go. He made it obvious from his posts that he needs to put up snide remarks on a faceless forum like Nairaland to get high. Such people like him are better ignored. There are others who have the time to respond to his vituperations. I'm sure they won't disappoint him.

This second pass at him is unnecessary. The first was poignant and fitting enough.
Anyway, as a maths teacher, an early grounding in numbers is very important for your child. Soon his attention'll probably be arrested by more 'important' things like games and cartoons. My number one problem with new arrivals to secondary schools is numbers. If he's not complaining, then all is well.

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 10:24pm On Sep 17, 2013
comprende: Thanks to those who had proper responses, suggestions and advice. I learnt from what you had to say, especially the two teachers. Of course I could have spoken with friends, colleagues or associates around to find out what they think about the issue. But I put my post on Nairaland to enable me sample a wider range of opinion.

I initially felt like taking on @tpia, but I decided to just let it go. He made it obvious from his posts that he needs to put up snide remarks on a faceless forum like Nairaland to get high. Such people like him are better ignored. There are others who have the time to respond to his vituperations. I'm sure they won't disappoint him.

This second pass at him is unnecessary. The first was poignant and fitting enough.
Anyway, as a maths teacher, an early grounding in numbers is very important for your child. Soon his attention'll probably be arrested by more 'important' things like games and cartoons. My number one problem with new arrivals to secondary schools is numbers (multiplication, esp.). If he's not complaining, then all is well.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by damiso(f): 10:26pm On Sep 17, 2013
Audrey I: @topic: As incredible as it sounds(and I know this sounds far fetched) but, my daughter will be starting in at Nursery 1 on Monday and she writes 1 - 200 on her own. She's 3. She can also do basic additions, subtractions and can write two and three letter words. Just like your son, she's also been taught basic sentence construction. So your son's school is not over doing it.

While I understand your concerns about your child developing at a reasonable pace, I still feel you should be proud of him and the school, especially if he's recieving a well rounded education that includes mental, physical, social and moral developement.

Truth is, we live in a highly competitive world, and it isn't too early to begin to equip your child with much needed education, especially in this era where most employers operate a policy of 'the younger, the better.'

Now you want me to go kung fu on my daughter sad sad sad shocked shocked shocked. (Just joking)

But seriously my daughter is going to be 4 on Thursday and just started writing 1 to 100 (which I think is more or less easy if you get 1-10 those other numbers are just combinations). I do alot of one on one work with her and i am very into her understanding the basis behind things and not just memorising.The whole phonics vs alphabet thing was strange to me at first(and maybe I confused the girl small sha wink) but we eventually got the hang of it.

See people complaining of overdoing it, my daughter's teacher thinks am too pushy lol grin

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by AudreyI(f): 10:29pm On Sep 17, 2013
Oh, and one other thing OP, you'll be glad for what you percieve as advanced 'overdone' learning, when twenty years from now, your son can write a simple sentence in English without murdering the language. I'm convinced that the reason most so called graduates in the country can not communicate effectively in English(oral and written) is because someone felt that their brains shouldn't be over taxed at an early age.

Pick any thread on this forum, read through it, and before you get through the first ten posts, you'll probably get a fair idea what I'm getting at.

As in everything in life, once the educational foundation is faulty, everything is bound to come crashing down someday.

@damiso: you got me laughing there.

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by tpia5: 10:30pm On Sep 17, 2013
Audrey :

To those who believe a giving a child an education that is above par has disadantages, I'd honestly like to hear what those disadvantages are.

It mostly has to do with the child's social life. Some schools of thought believe if a child is too brilliant, he or she will not adjust well to the social level expected for their age group.

This is not necessarily a problem in most parts of nigeria, but it could be elsewhere.

As per your daughter, it might be better to not mention anything personal especially in places like this, people can be wicked and besides, everyone comes from different backgrounds.

In addition, liars full here so most posts really do have to be taken with a grain of salt.

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by AudreyI(f): 10:33pm On Sep 17, 2013
Thanks tpia.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by tpia5: 10:41pm On Sep 17, 2013
You're welcome.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by redcliff: 10:52pm On Sep 17, 2013
tpia.:

You are sensitive to what YOU perceive as criticism, not to mention your chip on the shoulder makes you see every comment that doesnt tow your line, as an insult, yet you open a thread for people to rain abuse on your alleged child's school, on your behalf.

Typical nler.

The only thing i'm gleaning from your rant is you dont want anyone asking why dont you change your child's school ( lets assume you are not role acting), but instead are looking for who will help you abuse schools in general.

Boko haram things?
Er..u need to understand his reply to your first comment outshined both of your comments by raking in a lot of likes which means more people are with him on this. So I think u need to stfu. Abi? Lol.

3 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Elxandre(m): 11:17pm On Sep 17, 2013
yellowpawpaw:
We tend to forget that a child is nothing but a child. U over push it, it bounces back. Sociology 101.
Let's take real life example, MJ- even after all the super hits and success, he was never happy.
Poster, if u rnt comfortable, change school. The brain shouldn't be exerted beyond its capacity especially a developing brain. There is a limit.
You made sense.
I started reading @ 3 before I started schooling.. cos i remember right from the 1st day in class i could read everything.
And I could count from 1- infinity.
It does no harm if the child is sharp.
But what i'm not sure about is the effects on a child's psyche.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by sammoe(m): 11:22pm On Sep 17, 2013
^^It bothers me , gravely, that many people posting in forums such as this lack basic communication etiquette. Consequently, physical interaction is the worse for it.

@OP As,first an individual, and an educationist/tutor, I have observed several children & youth in diverse social & learning contexts.
Children differ from one to the other. Esp in terms of rate of growth & development, preferences etc.
As such, your kid may not be going through 'over teaching'. I think what you should pay more attention to is the methodology.

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 11:27pm On Sep 17, 2013
iamdsam: You're just posting crab. Nigeria isn't in any competition or whatever is going on in the world. Can the schools even admit all those who pass? Are there jobs? What the hell are you posting? Thank God for people like Bill Gates. Everybody must not go to school. Foolish Nigerian mentality you got. No sorry

It is so sad that people don't realise it that formal education (schooling) is only a subset/fraction of Education. You could be educated in an informal, non-formal or accidental route.

@OP
The fact is that we are over-doing things, here. And, those kids are 'forced' to learn so many 'unnecessary' things at their age because of some obvious reasons. (They got to be in school till evening because there's no one at home to take them in). And, then from Class Work to Home work to Lesson Notes and Assignment to 15subjects per class etc.. Interestingly, same kids get back home late, have short time to play, sleep and by 4/5am they are up again ..aaarrrggh.cheesy The pressure is much and becoming unhealthy. I am an advocate of quality education, and I think we really got a lot of catching up to do in acquiring wholesome education for our kids.

Best Wishes, Op smiley

2 Likes

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by lekeey: 11:37pm On Sep 17, 2013
The montessori system of education rides on the absorbent mind children have. If she absorb well,thats fine. If not,it wont make her head blow. Do u know they can any number of languages together. Moreso,they ar digital natives, who teaches them how to operate ipad and play all those games? Thou shal leave her there.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Bunchersstab(m): 11:48pm On Sep 17, 2013
U be a learner. U nid 2 see wat oda kids below his age are doin n sayin elsewhere. We ar in d jet age,u n ur old skul advisers shud allow d young man he is not lackin bhindgrin
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by okoomoge2(m): 11:50pm On Sep 17, 2013
Hmmm. The curriculum abroad for kids between 1-4 is to learn through playing
Social interaction to develop mental alertness. They place kids in class based age group and month of birth. Let say a kid was born after July, he will be
At a lower class than is age mate born between Jan-July of same year.

If they have been doing this for ages and have produced great scientist , engineers and all . I bet no worries with the curriculum.

2-4 years is formative age for kids,emphasis should be on moulding personal
Development and personality. My opinion oooo.

As for me I went through all this fast paced learning in Nigeria, graduated from Uni 21 years studying Engineering. 10 years work experience now, however oyinbos consider age to make you a manager or team leader. So there are pros and cons of the fast paced learning.

My 2 cents

1 Like

Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by Nobody: 12:06am On Sep 18, 2013
Things have really change cos i noticed it with my niece of same age too.
I like it though its expensive getting that type of educatiion. My niece nursery fee alone,can get one a degree in a fed uni.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by stylishnclassy: 12:40am On Sep 18, 2013
Please, with all these, can someone suggest a very good nursery and primary school in Lagos ?Preferably in Omole, Magodo, Ojodu and Ikeja axis. @Audrey 1, can you help? Or any other person please. Thanks.
Re: Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" by thatchic: 3:39am On Sep 18, 2013
The teachers must have skipped child development classes. I would like to “drink the tap water” back in naija cos the kids go from the sensorimotor stage, skip the preoperational stage and land between concrete operational and formal operational stages.

Some posters mentioned all day drilling: these kids are learning by repetition. “Educated educators” know that a cognitive approach is best for young learners. An 18 years old 4th year medical student is impressive, but can she think outside the box? (Think, dr. hank in the TV show Royal pain and all the alternatives he comes up with during a life threating emergency). Can she think on her feet when familiar therapy and equipment are unavailable? I have seen barely vocal two year old's dragged to nursery school, when the parents should have been seeking for an early childhood intervention program and consulting with speech therapist etc.

Babies are entering universities at the age of 15 and by 30 all they have to show for their “outstanding early achievement” is a 9-5 job. No new invention, ground breaking research, absolutely nothing out of the ordinary.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Should Married People Have Access To Each-Other’s Phones? / How Can I Advise A Serial Cheat And Failure Of A Father? / Missing Girl In Kaduna: Walida Found In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.