Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,732 members, 7,824,063 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:44 PM

Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? (2366 Views)

Seun, What Do You Think? Diversity Among Politics Mods / A Message To Ikenna351, MOD Of Politics Section / Are You Ok With The Way Gospel Artists Are Remixing Old Songs Recently? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Kairoseki77: 8:02am On Sep 18, 2013
Out of curiosity.

In the religion section it became VERY apparent that Muslims should have their own section and that the moderators of the general religion section should be Christian.

Yet in the politics section, 2/3 of the mods are Igbo. Isn't this rank hypocrisy? How can Igbos be allowed to lord over the other 249 tribes in Nigeria, especially when they have shown themselves to be extraordinarily tribal and bigoted in their support of the Jonathan administration. A direct conflict of interest to the duties of a politics mod.

It is getting to the point that NL politics can not be even be taken seriously because of the tribal slant of the moderators.

Can't we have balance? People complain EVERY DAY about Afam's tribal slant in his moderating duties. Why are there no Northern politics mods, or Ijaw, or middle belt? It is not an accident that threads on the front page about the middle belt are nonexistent and that threads about the North only fixate on Boko Haram.

How can anyone trust the objectivity of the threads that are recommended to Seun and Mukina to go front page when so many of the mods are emotionally invested in protecting their tribe and Goodluck Jonathan?

People CHOOSE their religion and we all know how much people can twist their duties to protect their religion. Even people sworn to protect the country of their birth (military) will kill their brothers over their chosen religion. We are each BORN with our tribe, and it takes an extraordinary godlike person to resist the desire to protect and support their tribe. So how can we pretend that our mods are objective?

This is just a simple fact of human nature. We see it play out in EVERY society on the planet in the form of racism and tribalism.

Could you, as a mod on an oyibo website, promote threads that would harm the reputation of Nigeria? Wouldn't you be slanted and try to prevent those threads from becoming public? Of course! You might be able to do your job objectively some of the time, when the newsworthiness of the thread was too much to hide, but you could never promote threads that would harm Nigeria's interest on a consistent basis!

I am not saying that the current mods should be replaced, but that we are in desperate need of increased diversity. Especially considering the emotional stake that NdIgbo have staked in the Jonathan administration. It is a fantasy to believe that Afam and Sexkillz ignore their tribe when performing their duties.

All I am asking for is diversity. Thanks. If Afam and Sexiillz are truly objective, they should support it too.
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by fluteman: 8:25am On Sep 18, 2013
seconded

1 Like

Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Kairoseki77: 8:27am On Sep 18, 2013
The more I think about it, I cannot remember ANY threads about the middle belt making it to the front page.

Ombatse militants maybe?

You would think that the middle belt has things worth putting on the front page, but instead we ONLY hear about the South.

Good luck finding ANYTHING positive about the North on NL front page, grin

We definitely need some diversity.
I was surprised as hell to see how developed Makurdi in Benue state is. Even more surprised when I found out that Benue is one of the biggest economies in Nigeria.
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Sunnybobo3(m): 8:28am On Sep 18, 2013
Yes we are ok with it. Nairaland is not your Nigeria where merit is sacrificed on the altar of mediocrity.

5 Likes

Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Kairoseki77: 8:31am On Sep 18, 2013
Sunny_bobo: Yes we are ok with it. Nairaland is not your Nigeria where merit is sacrificed in the altar of mediocrity.

Have you seen any positive/neutral threads about the middle belt or North on NL?

It is important to remember that Igbo, Yoruba, and Hausa all together only equal 50% of Nigeria's population. There is some serious diversity lacking here.
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Tolexander: 8:33am On Sep 18, 2013
I don't really have any problem with any mod.
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by oboy3(m): 8:35am On Sep 18, 2013
Joblessness of the highest order

1 Like

Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Nobody: 8:36am On Sep 18, 2013
Going by your half baked analogy, I think we should have 249 mods since we have 249 tribes to avoid complains. . . Nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by fluteman: 8:38am On Sep 18, 2013
I'v been wondering why the thread on Akpabio/Fashola never made front page. it recievd quite a lot of following.....hitting 24 pages and did not generate ethnic hate, buy compared the performance of 2 governors who are often compared in many post by members.

was it because it appeared that someone that some people used as yardstick seemingly lost, and thus the bragging rites?

I wonder if seun really looks at this things
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Kairoseki77: 8:42am On Sep 18, 2013
sexkillz: Going by your half baked analogy, I think we should have 249 mods since we have 249 tribes to avoid complains. . . Nonsense!

Maybe six.

One from each region of Nigeria.

Having ALL of them being from the South and 66% of them being from one tribe and one region is definitely a recipe for all the ill effects of lack of diversity.
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by mrking3(m): 8:45am On Sep 18, 2013
Sunny_bobo: Yes we are ok with it. Nairaland is not your Nigeria where merit is sacrificed on the altar of mediocrity.
Nice Response!!! †ђξ guy is so parochial and deluded! Such post like this should be hidden or Deleted! So as to avoid unecessary ethnic hatred here on Nairaland! Like you rightly said, Nairaland is not Nigeria where mediocres finds themselves in position of Authority in a bid to promote Federal Character!!

1 Like

Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Nobody: 8:45am On Sep 18, 2013
Kairoseki77:

Maybe six.

12 will be better. A male and female from each region.

3 Likes

Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by dgitrader(m): 8:45am On Sep 18, 2013
asking for quota system on nairaland! shocked shocked shocked This is the height of ethnic-gingoism!!
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Gorrbachev: 8:46am On Sep 18, 2013
No I'm not ok with it. You can see the bias in the kind of topics you find there. Useless igbo politics that has nothing to do Nigeria mixed with pro igbo threads. interesting threads are quickly buried.

They don't allow non-igbos or indigenes live in their states or region, yet they try to force their local politics in our face. I don't give a damn what Kalu or Obi does in Alaigbo yet they try to use the centre using words like "competence" "merit" to deep their hands into the politics of other states.

Check Nairaland when Nigerians are at sleep or when the mods think Seun is not online, you'll see what i'm saying?
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by tawa89(f): 8:47am On Sep 18, 2013
sexkillz: Going by your half baked analogy, I think we should have 249 mods since we have 249 tribes to avoid complains. . . Nonsense!
oga take this trashy thread to the dust bin.
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Kairoseki77: 8:49am On Sep 18, 2013
sexkillz: 12 will be better. A male and female from each region.

It is a fact that all of the moderators are from the south. And that 66% are SE Igbos.

That is just a fact. Similarly, I have never seen many threads about the North or Middle Belt on the front page. I think they are related.

By the way, this is not something that matters for most sections. For example, the jokes section/romance section/etc does not need that level of diversity. The politics section(especially considering how popular it is) definitely could use it.

Why are you against it?
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Nobody: 8:49am On Sep 18, 2013
Kairoseki77: Maybe six.

Having ALL of them being from the South and 66% of them being from one tribe and one region is definitely a recipe for all the ill effects of lack of diversity.

When you use percent, you make it seem like it comprises of many people. Na 2 mods you dey refer to as 66%.

If this is about threads not making the home page, then use the Suggestions/Complaints thread or pm the mods threads you would like to see on the homepage. Politics is a busy section. Even with 3 mods, it's very easy for any of them to not recommend a thread you deem worthy.
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Kairoseki77: 8:50am On Sep 18, 2013
ogugua88:

When you use percent, you make it seem like it comprises of many people. Na 2 mods you dey refer to as 66%.

If this is about threads not making the home page, then use the Complaints thread or pm the mods. Politics is a busy section. Even with 3 mods, it's very easy for any of them to not recommend a thread you deem worthy.

That is more reason for there to be more mods...
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Nobody: 8:51am On Sep 18, 2013
Kairoseki77:

It is a fact that all of the moderators are from the south. And that 66% are SE Igbos.

That is just a fact. Similarly, I have never seen many threads about the North or Middle Belt on the front page. I think they are related.

By the way, this is not something that matters for most sections. For example, the jokes section/romance section/etc does not need that level of diversity. The politics section(especially considering how popular it is) definitely could use it.

Why are you against it?
How am I agaisnt it?

I wanted 249 mods to represent, you said no, you wanted 6. I said 12 will be better for efficiency. So how am I against it?
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Nobody: 8:52am On Sep 18, 2013
Kairoseki77:

That is more reason for there to be more mods...
Not just more, but 12!
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Nobody: 8:52am On Sep 18, 2013
Kairoseki77: That is more reason for there to be more mods...

It's also a reason for members to be more proactive. Suggestions threads were implemented for members to recommend threads that they like. Have you been recommending threads or were you waiting for the 3 mods to sieve through dozens of threads and recommend them according to tribe/region?
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Kairoseki77: 8:54am On Sep 18, 2013
sexkillz: How am I agaisnt it?

I wanted 249 mods to represent, you said no, you wanted 6. I said 12 will be better for efficiency. So how am I against it?

While you might not take it seriously, I do.

If you are not Igbo or Yoruba, you would (rightfully) feel invisible on Nairaland.

When is the last time you have suggested that a supermod put a middle belt thread to the FP? Be honest.
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Nobody: 8:54am On Sep 18, 2013
tawa89: oga take this trashy thread to the dust bin.
Moved it here for a general discussion.
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Kairoseki77: 8:56am On Sep 18, 2013
ogugua88:

It's also a reason for members to be more proactive. Suggestions threads were implemented for members to recommend threads that they like. Have you been recommending threads or were you waiting for the 3 mods to sieve through dozens of threads and recommend them according to tribe/region?

I don't want this thread to be about me. That's not why I made it.

It is just an observation of the dynamics on NL.
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Kairoseki77: 8:58am On Sep 18, 2013
sexkillz: Moved it here for a general discussion.

Why would a discussion about politics mods need to be in the general section?

This is not about mods in general, or the general section mods. It is solely about the politics section mods.
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Nobody: 9:00am On Sep 18, 2013
Kairoseki77: I don't want this thread to be about me. That's not why I made it.

It is just an observation of the dynamics on NL.

Well, I'm only telling you. I mod only 2 sections. It's time consuming. Sexkillz mods 4, Oam4j mods 3, and afam4eva also mods 3 I believe. They're human beings, not robots. Rather than blame it on their place of origin and/or alleged bias, suggest threads to them.
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Kairoseki77: 9:01am On Sep 18, 2013
ogugua88:

Well, I'm only telling you. I mod only 2 sections. It's time consuming. Sexkillz mods 4, Oam4j mods 3, and afam4eva also mods 3 I believe. They're human beings, not robots. Rather than blame it on their place of origin and/or alleged bias, suggest threads to them.

I think Sexkillz and Afam do good enough jobs. I do NOT think ANY of them should be replaced. I only think there should be more in the politics section.

We all have blind spots.
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Lilimax(f): 9:03am On Sep 18, 2013
grin
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Nobody: 9:08am On Sep 18, 2013
Kairoseki77:

I think Sexkillz and Afam do good enough jobs. I do NOT think ANY of them should be replaced. I only think there should be more in the politics section.

We all have blind spots.
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Nobody: 9:12am On Sep 18, 2013
Kairoseki77: I think Sexkillz and Afam do good enough jobs. I do NOT think ANY of them should be replaced. I only think there should be more in the politics section.

We all have blind spots.

Have you tried suggesting threads or contacting mods about threads suitable for the homepage?
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Kairoseki77: 9:14am On Sep 18, 2013
sexkillz: 12.

Fine.

Moving this thread to the dead general section was an abuse of your position and completely unnecessary.

Being against having more diversity in the politics section just makes you sound clannish.
Re: Are You Ok With 2/3 Of Politics Mods Being Igbo? by Nobody: 9:17am On Sep 18, 2013
Kairoseki77:

When is the last time you have suggested that a supermod put a middle belt thread to the FP? Be honest.
How many middle belt threads have you created?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Shows Off Their Own Set Of Made-in-nigeria SUV / Wonder: MTN Changes Airtime Code From 12 To 16 Digits / Ever Met Someone Born On The EXACT SAME Day, Month & Year As You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.