Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,137 members, 7,818,426 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:15 PM

Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria (14264 Views)

Poll: Kanu or Lagos State Government: who is right?

Kanu: 84% (95 votes)
Govt.: 15% (17 votes)
This poll has ended

Emmanuel Emenike In Dispute With Enugu Govt Over Land Meant For Football Acad. / Susanne Ibru Jailed Again For Stalking Man Utd's Rio Ferdinand / Shooting Stars Disbanded By Oyo Govt Over Mounting Financial Bills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Nobody: 5:16am On Jun 26, 2008
In my opinion, some of us have failed to see other reasons which may have made Fashola bring in Rio. Apart from the sports aspect, look at tourism aspect, most people outside Nigeria do not beleive that Nigeria is safe for tourism or even for a business visit. If Rio can come here and have a nice stay without being kidnapped, it goes a long way to tell people that Nigeria is safe especialy Lagos. Even if Rio is not well known in Nigeria, all sports fans all over the world will definitely read an article with Rio's name on it, this is also the commercial side of it.
Fashola is a politician and I know he must have given all aspects a thought before deciding to bring in Rio. There is nothing Kanu would have added to Lagos' image if he was the one invited, we are selling our hospitality and habitability to the world, not to ourselves. Fashola needs foreign investors, tourists and putting lagos in the world map and I beleive he achieved more of that compared to a situation where Kanu was invited.
This is my humble opinion, do not attack me, attack the thread.
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by superman(m): 6:05am On Jun 26, 2008
na lie!
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by smile4kenn(m): 6:42am On Jun 26, 2008
Federal Govt. Under Obasanjo Honored JJ Okocha with an OON, Order OF Niger. JJ Okocha has recieved so many chieftaincy tile in Nigeria.

African stars like Ghana‘s Sulley Muntari, Michael Essien, Emmanuel Adebayor of Togo, Didier Drogba of Cote d’Ivoire, Rigobert Song, Patrick Mboma and Samuel Eto‘o of Cameroun are also expected to join the world team to Honor Okocha here in Nigeria today!!!!

It was learnt that Okocha also invited some European players he played with at Bolton, PSG and Qatar for the event.

Is there not a reciprocal move here?, Foreign Players coming to Nigeria to Honor Okocha's Exit from Football.

Kanu did something like this too last month in portsmouth when he offcially launched his KHF in England.

Some Eagle Players should also have been invited by Lagos State Govt along side Rio to innugurate their so-called Street Football.

Remember, the street Football is for Lagosians, By Lagosians and in Lagos, so it would have been right for Lagos Govt to supliment Rio's Visit with other Eagles stars. For now, Kanu is partly Right
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Nobody: 6:54am On Jun 26, 2008
superman:

na lie!

What is the truth?
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Nobody: 6:56am On Jun 26, 2008
smile4kenn:

Federal Govt. Under Obasanjo Honored JJ Okocha with an OON, Order OF Niger. JJ Okocha has recieved so many chieftaincy tile in Nigeria.

African stars like Ghana‘s Sulley Muntari, Michael Essien, Emmanuel Adebayor of Togo, Didier Drogba of Cote d’Ivoire, Rigobert Song, Patrick Mboma and Samuel Eto‘o of Cameroun are also expected to join the world team to Honor Okocha here in Nigeria today!!!!

It was learnt that Okocha also invited some European players he played with at Bolton, PSG and Qatar for the event.

Is there not a reciprocal move here?, Foreign Players coming to Nigeria to Honor Okocha's Exit from Football.

Kanu did something like this too last month in portsmouth when he offcially launched his KHF in England.

Some Eagle Players should also have been invited by Lagos State Govt along side Rio to innugurate their so-called Street Football.
Remember, the street Football is for Lagosians, By Lagosians and in Lagos, so it would have been right for Lagos Govt to supliment Rio's Visit with other Eagles stars. For now, Kanu is partly Right

The thread did not say whether other Eagle Players were there and even at that, it is not the contention, the contention is the fund spent in bringing Rio and the reason. Lets keep to the facts before us.
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by smile4kenn(m): 8:18am On Jun 26, 2008
Mr Artantica

Read wetin i write well
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by magica: 8:41am On Jun 26, 2008
i think its a waste of money. i cant wait to get into the govt so that i cant sanitize naija so shit like this will never happen again! wink
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Mustay(m): 8:46am On Jun 26, 2008
nobilia:

What is the truth?

Did the Manu directors mention security factor when they chose to play in Nigeria?

You keep on bragging like Nigeria is the most dangerous country sad

nuzo:

It is only in the damned Nigeria; that people will stand boldly to support gross incompetence by their stupid rulers.
A country where bad is usually praised as good.

Shame on Nigeria!!!

Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by edmondo(m): 9:11am On Jun 26, 2008
bringing Rio is neva a problem but using tax payer to host is d problem
the money shd have been use in a viable project.
of wot important is Rio coming to lagos is to d lagos economy.
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:17am On Jun 26, 2008
@Mustay

Do you know how many millions in pounds the Man U match will gulp? Do you actually know who is bank rolling it? Would you commit suicide if I tell you it is Fashola or some other governor? Do you know the reason Nigeria was chosen? (not the Kanu portsmouth story they gave).
I do not read news, I get news. I am not in support of Fashola but I am saying there may be other reasons involved. Do not judge a soup by the sight of it, that is the same with news.
Let's say I was where the decision was taking(do not attack me on this) or maybe I was part of it. In nigeria, you must understand that we are in a constant war of words, opinion, media etc.
Sometimes get to the root or try to get the news behind the news before you become God to judge. I am not bragging about anything, go to google news or yahoo news and search for Nigeria, whatever good you see there will come from local contents compare it with foreign contents there you will know what outsiders really see us as.
If you did not get the point of my earlier post leave it at that.
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:23am On Jun 26, 2008
edmondo:

bringing Rio is never a problem but using tax payer to host is d problem
the money should have been use in a viable project.
of wot important is Rio coming to lagos is to d lagos economy.

Yes there was an important arrangement as a result. It is in the works that some Shield matches maybe played in Nigeria in the very near future. That is turning the world's eyes to Nigeria. What is being done is for long term, wait and see.
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Mustay(m): 9:48am On Jun 26, 2008
Nobillia

there's no country without problems and I don't attack people cheesy cool We are here to rub minds wink we've seen people here telling us they are ashaned being Nigerians while others condemn them for being a 'sore loser'

China is a country that's hosting the olympics - you saw what happened during the torch!

This topic has made us know other things;

Through the links posted, the Fashola supporters on this topic have not given a solid answer. I've read all the links posted here about the reason for the competition.

the question still is

Beline:

So how did Ferdinand visit benefited the children?
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Nobody: 10:00am On Jun 26, 2008
You mean to tell me that Kanu is just knowing that children are suffering in Lagos. Kanu is playing his own politics after being made Unicef Ambassador.
What do u mean by benefiting the children? This is why we are in darkness, fast fix to every problem.
Tell me what in your idea would have benefitted the children with the amount spent to bring in Rio and i will tell you how the children's future is being improved long termly by what is actually happening. Obasanjo came in and advocated free food for primary school students where as some students study under trees. Are you suggesting public feeding too? Why is it that communism failed? This is a capitalist world and the earlier you get it, the better it will be for you in forming your opinions.
No country have ever developed without foreign direct investment and how do u get foreign direct investment if you do not showcase yourself to the world. Africa have been living on aids from donors and that have been the bane of our development.
China that is spending billions to host olympic, do u think they do not have poverty striken indviduals within them but they know what hosting of olympics will bring in.
Let us not always apply backyard sense to all that we do in Nigeria.

Don't you even know that the amount you are spending to stay online to post your opinions here could feed the little boy of your neighbour but you ignored it all and now you have become ambassador of goodwill.
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Nobody: 10:16am On Jun 26, 2008
Another news that i am just getting now is that Rio asked some agents what it will take to have a RIO soccer foundation in Nigeria. This news is not yet public nor in works but it's been said.
Manchester may even buy the idea. I told u lets wait and see.
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Mustay(m): 10:20am On Jun 26, 2008
nobilia:

Don't you even know that the amount you are spending to stay online to post your opinions here could feed the little boy of your neighbour but you ignored it all and now you have become ambassador of goodwill.

u nko?

Kanu set up KHF after the heart disease almost trauncated his career. Nigerian hospitals cannot treat these children. Our president himself has his 'experts' as he calls it in Germany.
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by wormedup(m): 10:30am On Jun 26, 2008
Jairzinho,

Okocha bringing international stars is between him and them !
okocha is not funding it with Delta State's money ! geddit

nobilia,

you don't need rocket science to know Nigeria / Lagos is not safe !
t-pain, akon, fiddy, wyclef, brick n' lace and a whole lot of others have all been here and they all went back safely. add beyonce and kelly to the list if u wish.
but that doesn't make lagos safe still ! robberies' going down everyday; people are still getting kidnapped in the niger-delta area !
2 days ago, a bunch of bars/night-out spots were attacked in surulere; so much for security !
if Fash was trying to portray lasgidi as being safe, why keep Rio at Eko Hotels ?
let him pick one of the numerous joints all over the place instead and i guarantee you, something will be lost on Rio ( even with the securities) !!! safe indeed !

what i do with my money is my bizznizz !
what the state governor does with OUR money has to be on OUR approval; else it's CRIMINAL !!!

as far as i'm concerned, there's nothing beneficial to the lagos masses, and Naija, about Rio's visit.
You all think the money can't run out right let's keep going at it .

meanwhile, enjoy the picture below; that's A SINGLE PERSON's loot !!!

Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by ayando(m): 10:36am On Jun 26, 2008
I think kanu has a point in what he said,only that sometimes you dont always have to criticise your government because they are also working for the interest of either the public or certain few people.I also believe that politics should not be mixed with football.
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by khufu: 10:45am On Jun 26, 2008
had it been kanu was the one honoured as Rio he wouldn't have complained. y did he not complain when tax payers monies was used to treat him of his heart ailment years ago? he is just been paranoid. i dont blame him though, there is a wide gulf between education and illiteracy.
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by mafolayomi(f): 11:01am On Jun 26, 2008
khufu:

had it been kanu was the one honoured as Rio he wouldn't have complained. y did he not complain when tax payers monies was used to treat him of his heart ailment years ago? he is just been paranoid. i don't blame him though, there is a wide gulf between education and illiteracy.
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by mafolayomi(f): 11:02am On Jun 26, 2008
khufu:

had it been kanu was the one honoured as Rio he wouldn't have complained. y did he not complain when tax payers monies was used to treat him of his heart ailment years ago? he is just been paranoid. i don't blame him though, there is a wide gulf between education and illiteracy.

when you say tax payer's money, how do you mean
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by SamMilla1(m): 11:09am On Jun 26, 2008
Forget all those Rubish, Kanu was being Jealous, simple.
Or is it because its Kanu who said it?
Manchester United is coming soon to play in Abuja.
Thousands of you will still use their own money to go and watch the game in abuja.
The hungry kids in the streets are stilll there remember.
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by dominictj(m): 11:18am On Jun 26, 2008
I think its very important to place our priorities in the right place. What difference would it had made if either Kanu or any other Nigerian player was made to commission the street soccer project? At least it would have cost us less considering the fact that they were and still in Nigeria during the commissioning. indeed bringing Ferdinand was a waste of public fund.
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:31am On Jun 26, 2008
Thousands of you will still use their own money to go and watch the game in abuja.

I beg to disagree, and if anyone was Jealous, definitely not Kanu Nwankwo!
He's a complete cool-headed and humble guy and that's why I respect him. The truth still remains that our dear Governor wasted our money (atleast, we pay tax!  wink)by inviting Rio into the Country, He could have used the money on better options. Moreso, since the ManU team are coming in to Nigeria in July, I think he could have just waited a bit, maybe to have the full house launch his street soccer project.

In my opinion, some of us have failed to see other reasons which may have made Fashola bring in Rio. Apart from the sports aspect, look at tourism aspect, most people outside Nigeria do not beleive that Nigeria is safe for tourism or even for a business visit. If Rio can come here and have a nice stay without being kidnapped, it goes a long way to tell people that Nigeria is safe especialy Lagos. Even if Rio is not well known in Nigeria, all sports fans all over the world will definitely read an article with Rio's name on it, this is also the commercial side of it.
Fashola is a politician and I know he must have given all aspects a thought before deciding to bring in Rio. There is nothing Kanu would have added to Lagos' image if he was the one invited, we are selling our hospitality and habitability to the world, not to ourselves. Fashola needs foreign investors, tourists and putting lagos in the world map and I beleive he achieved more of that compared to a situation where Kanu was invited.
This is my humble opinion, do not attack me, attack the thread.

These reasons aren't good enough if you'd ask me, because Rio won't be the first nor the last International footballer to come to our Nation! There are lots of other International stars (Musicians, Diplomats etc) that come in and out of the Country unharmed!

Come to think of it. . . .have we received the MDC Award yet?? (Most Dangerous Country)!  grin
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by tetmosol(m): 11:56am On Jun 26, 2008
bloody waste of money !
kanu invited people with his own funds; and not some state's pocket !!!
the nextr time fash thinks up something else stupid, maybe he should consult those who actually generate the funds being expended !
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Mustay(m): 12:03pm On Jun 26, 2008
khufu:

there's this ignorance in the minds of the educated in Nigeria that those who read less than them are less intelligent - what a paradox!

education is seen as the hallmark of the most intelligent views
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by moirme: 12:12pm On Jun 26, 2008
Reading the posts relating to this thread shows the different ways we look at issues, the different line of thots and all.

That been said, its so sad to see people actually thinking its not a waste of public funds to host rio, please lets try and be truthfully to ourselves cos deceiving one's self is the beginning of madness forget the fact u are a manu supporter or u are a fashola supporter. Fashola is human so he is capable of making mistakes but that doesn't make him less of a man. Suppourting people even when they are wrong is one of the reason naija is in the position it is today. What fashola did was an abuse of power cos he used his position as governor to fulfil his own fantasy at the publics expense. His supporters can shout from the mountain top all they want the reason rio was hosted was because fashola is a manu supporter but that is not even the issue here, the issue here is can the funds used for the hosting have been used for something better definitely yes, that money could have saved a life and that is what kanu is saying. Kanu can at least say he has saved a life with his heart foundation, if all the people in naija that have as much money as kanu or more sef all have done what kanu has done for the naija children naija will be a lot better. Will hosting rio have an impact on football in lagos? are u telling me some kid that wasn't playing football b4 rio came to naija is now playing, pls come of it, of course not, will it affect tourism in lagos? I hear the whole of england is now at the naija embassy in london trying to get a visa to come to naija cos rio was here. please say something else, i wish i could see or talk to fashola and tell him how i really feel. Foolish people.

Its so funny some people are comparing this to thisday's festival or whatever its called, i thot thisday was a private thing, well i guess some people are limited in thinking sha,

Using public funds for personal stuffs is a gross abuse of office.

my 2 kobo.

peace
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Mustay(m): 12:23pm On Jun 26, 2008
moirme:

Its so funny some people are comparing this to thisday's festival or whatever its called, i thot thisday was a private thing, well i guess some people are limited in thinking sha,

thisday festival was brought here 'cos a fellow mentioned that Rio's visit showed the world Nigeria is SAFE. The stars in Thisday concert came here and left safe; yet Nigeria's still unsafe! grin
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by sweeten: 12:44pm On Jun 26, 2008
Bringing Rio Ferdnerd is not the issue but inviting him at the expense of LAGOS STATE's public money is the issue, i respect Gov Fashola but for the first time i don't agree with this particular move of his, Lagos state has so many grassroot issues to be solved thatn inviting a footballer and spending such a huge amount of money on his visit, if he had invited him personally without Lagos state money am sure it wouldn't have generated so much argument but for crying out loud there are better things that that money would have being used for,
There is no light, good road is zero, beggars here and there on the road, the traffic is crazy and infact water is almost a forgotten issue in some parts of Lagos, Rio Ferdinand might be an inspiration to the grassroot footballers but who and where are the grassroots footballers?
The ones that sleeps under the bridge? the ones that can hardly have one meal a day or the ones that would have loved to even see the Ferdinand where he was but either due to heavy traffic or even lack of transport fare couldn't get to where he is and he is here mainly for them does that make sense?
Someone made mentioned of Musician coming to the country if Rio's visit is personal like the musicians visits are personal nobody will complain, i can decide to invite all the US and UK musician to come to my country home and sing for me and my family while we try to sleep it is our hard earn money not anybody's own but when we have the responsibility of governing people, when we have the responsibility of giving them a better life and we then invite even TU FACE to come and cheer them up while some of them will leave the venue to sleep under the bridge, some of them might not get home till late due to bad roads and traffic, some will return to the darkness of their house dues to lack of light,
Please don't let be sentimental and as of those who said Kanu is not in the best position to talk because he is not educated, i tell you its not all about being a professor but being a professional in your choose career and you know what fellow nairaland Kanu is a professional in his choice of career and he has contributed in his own little way to this country
If he has being able to save just two children form heart problem he has tried, he is not the only footballer, but what has others done? the people before him what was/is their contribution to their motherland? the so called Lawyers, MBA and even Engineer footballers you metioned what has being their contribution to save just a soul?
Lets be wise and reasonable
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by khufu: 1:04pm On Jun 26, 2008
@mustay,
it is an indubitable truth. u can't compare education to anything in the world and i stand to be corrected. if u are one of those who doesn't believe in the value of education then go and try ignorance. to quote you: education is seen as the hallmark of the most intelligent views,it is a fact my brother. i refused to believe an ignoramus is better than myself because he has money or because he is a footballer.
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by Mustay(m): 1:09pm On Jun 26, 2008
khufu,

I don't think you've realised that some dudes are yapping Kanu 'cos he didn't go to school. They think 'cos of that is views are inferior and represent jealousy.

Am not saying we should try ignorance; of course without education, I won't be here cheesy

Isn't it the educated lawyers that fight on the street or the senators?

We've all got our limits and it's not e'thing that we know
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by bgees(m): 1:58pm On Jun 26, 2008
some people think by mentioning tourism and the nation's image as postives from rio's invitation,we critics will agree with them. i can tell u with authority that his visit will not inspire any youth in the near future and in the long run.

SAM MILLA:

kanu jealous of rio ferdinand? u must be very confused. kanu ,like most people here just dosent see the relevance of the attention the lagos state govt gave the street soccer project.
Re: Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria by revenge(m): 2:30pm On Jun 26, 2008
grin
Kanu is definately right and i dont see any reason fashola should invite a rich UK player like dat spending money on him, infact he has spoiled many people ways with this his eko oni baje stuffs, i am not saying its a wrong thing to repair Lagos oo

but he should have used the money well to better the lifes of those affected citizens , insted of spending it on a rich Man utd player,

people are homeless and gat no where to go,

arrrhhhhhhhhh
[i][/i]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo Score 2 Goals In Al Nassr's Win Vs Ahli / Tinubu Will Watch AFCON Final In Ivory Coast, Says CAF President / Do You Think Nigeria Needs A Foreign Coach?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.