Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims (7783 Views)

HAJJ Pilgrims Defrauded, Stranded At Lagos Airport / Saudi Deports 71 Of The Detained Female Hajj Pilgrims / Saudi Arabia Detains 400 Nigerian Female Hajj Pilgrims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by netcontact: 12:18pm On Sep 20, 2013
bloggernaija: If you can afford to go on hajj, you can afford to buy a phone.
Worst thing I have seen ajimobi do
Very stupid idea to be funding this religious nonsense while many sectors are dying for attention.
point of correction it is Amosun led Ogun state government nt Ajimobi of oyo state. It is high time Nigerian politicians stopped wasting our resources on frivolous activities
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by abrat: 12:18pm On Sep 20, 2013
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by cutieemperor007: 12:31pm On Sep 20, 2013
APC is working,PDP is criticizing,People are watching and 2015 is comming..PDP had spent its TIME what we need is CHANGE!!

APC is doing most of the criticizim and I doubt if they are working as much as they are criticising the opposition party, APC should not think we will vote for them come 2015 just because PDP is not performing, if they truely want our votes they should show us good governnce and true democrazy in the 5 state they govern, if not,......... angry angry sad angry
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by ndcide(m): 12:31pm On Sep 20, 2013
now this is the height of administrative furkry . if there is no street protest in Ogun state because of this, then the ASUU protest was a political game.
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by dossantos1: 12:37pm On Sep 20, 2013
deols: OMG!

At this age and time, you have this much hatred over something GOOGlE could have helped you on?

Pilgrims PAY for their hajj and the government makes money from it.

It is only right that whatever would make the pilgrims comfortable is provided by the government. This is like a good customer service.

Some just like to rant when it is a matter of religion even when they have no idea of what is going on.

guy u r not making any sense. i'm highly disappointed in Amosun cos i'm staunch suporter of his govt, but in dis case he bleeped up big tyme
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by dossantos1: 12:38pm On Sep 20, 2013
deols: OMG!

At this age and time, you have this much hatred over something GOOGlE could have helped you on?

Pilgrims PAY for their hajj and the government makes money from it.

It is only right that whatever would make the pilgrims comfortable is provided by the government. This is like a good customer service.

Some just like to rant when it is a matter of religion even when they have no idea of what is going on.

guy u r not making any sense. i'm highly disappointed in Amosun cos i'm a staunch suporter of his govt, but in dis case he bleeped up big tyme
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by DammyFx: 12:41pm On Sep 20, 2013
luvola post is not offensive. Why will you ban him for merely expressing his opinion..is this what APC want to offer Nigerians? And to make the matter worst some mod are banning people !! Nigeria is finished
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by omonnakoda: 12:44pm On Sep 20, 2013
la furia: Most people angry are avoiding the obvious answer which is the people going for hajj paid for it. My aunt in Kaduna payed 650,000 naira for what they call medium chair, big chair is about 750k. The money covers for air ticket, housing and state uniforms and allowance only. Allowance in the sense that they return an amount to you for shopping etc My believe is ogun state decided to include phones because of how people do get loss finding their way around mecca. NIGERIA MUSLIMS GOING TO HAJJ DON'T GO FOR FREE.
did she pay 650000 to Ogun State?This is just wrong.There is no difference between paying for Hajj or wedding it is PERSONAL
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by DammyFx: 12:46pm On Sep 20, 2013
One can only imagine a government claiming high debt left his predesesors and justifying his inability to pay youth corpers their money yet he has the zeal to buy phone to people when poverty, unemployment is on the rise. If PDP led govt can be criticised , same should be done to this shameful act being perpetuated by ACN led government.
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by Brite02(m): 1:38pm On Sep 20, 2013
Wrong moves by ogun state government undecided

Careless spending shocked
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by Mcfemad(m): 2:44pm On Sep 20, 2013
This is definitely a wrong move

If they can afford the pilgrimage fee; can't they afford to buy a phone or make international calls?.

Besides, what's the sole purpose of giving free phones? I remember the Minister Of Agriculture was criticized for planning to give out phones to farmers which is even beneficial to track and monitor them. Now, why hajj pilgrims?

I'm from Ogun State and a staunch supporter of this administration but this is a misplaced priority.

Btw, why didn't he do this to Christians when they went on pilgrimage?
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by whyx06(m): 4:43pm On Sep 20, 2013
rhema4u: OMG I made 1st 15 today.... Oh I can't believe this...

Naa to go call Paso , if u made 1st to post. . . ιοί
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by damcqute(m): 10:09am On Sep 21, 2013
NO LONG TIN: This is soo annoying!!! Why should the government fund people going on pilgrimage?? Shouldn't that be personal?!

We really have a long way to go in this country, the government priorities need to be redefined.

Its not as if sponsoring pilgrimage will reduce the crime rate, corruption or child marriage in the country/state

Any Christian or Muslim that wants to go on pilgrimage should do so from his/her own pocket, God will surely appreciate it more!

The thing that pain me pass be say this same governor said he can only pay a small fraction of all NYSC members serving in state schools/LG because there is no money!

Amosun is trying to tell us that sponsoring and buying phones for these people is more important than NYSC members who come from far and wide....... Who have to survive on 19, 800 per month

Note: money spent on these pilgrims are a luxury but NYSC members need their earned allowances to survive (remember corpers worked for the money)

U sound like you av the potential to be smart. A little research would help you more. Please do that before you talk/post anything online cos you just made yourself look foolish. No offence.
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by omonnakoda: 10:14am On Sep 21, 2013
da_mcqute:

U sound like you av the potential to be smart. A little research would help you more. Please do that before you talk/post anything online cos you just made yourself look foolish. No offence.
You have no hope of being smart even if you reincarnate you will not be smart in your next life.
Much Offence!
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by maclatunji: 10:31am On Sep 21, 2013
NO LONG TIN:

You don’t understand my pain!!!

Ogun state governor said he couldn't pay Corpers serving in his school (state schools) because there is no money. The federal government pays 19800, but the state or private company in which the corpers where posted are suppose to supplement FG stipend.

So my annoyance is that Ajimobi has money to splash on pilgrimage but not on corpers working for him in his school/LG!

Imagine FG saying there is no money for ASUU, then splashing money on phones and pilgrimage.

If you were one of those who castigated FG for buying gold-plated-Iphones (even when it was false), I see no reason why you should justify what Ogun state government did - that's hypocrisy!

Note: I'm talking about corpers working for Ogun state government, i.e our earned allowance

The total fee most people have to pay for hajj is close to N1 million. The government can easily raise N5,000 from that amount to buy phones.
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by omonnakoda: 11:00am On Sep 21, 2013
maclatunji:

The total fee most people have to pay for hajj is close to N1 million. The government can easily raise N5,000 from that amount to buy phones.
FEE? PAID ? TO WHOM ? OGUN STATE? Are you joking?
Even if the fee paid is paid to government and I have seen no evidence of this and the fee is excessive then the fee should be negotiated. Government TIME should NOT be spent procuring phones for private citizens.The most logical thing is a cash rebate . However I see no EVIDENCE that pilgrims pay ANY money to OGUN STATE.
I am sure that if government claims to have spent one naira on a phone the recipient would prefer to receive that 1 naira and buy the phones by themselves. I do not see any evidence of OGUN STATE getting any of the fee paid by pilgrims and if they do that must have been arrived at through some "due process" which should apply in this case

I cannot imagine that anyone going on hajj does not already have mobile phones. why mobile phones why not custard or Kulikuli or rice

What next mobile phones for people paying for C of O,Paying School fees, etc ?

The real question is was there a budget for this? Government money should not be spending money on whims and gimmicks. If government is going to spend money on phones then PUT IT IN THE BUDGET. All this FATHER CHRISTMAS posturing by government officials buying Rams and chickens and phones and Pampers is ridiculous.

I quarrel with your logic which goes something like this Dangote pays billions in tax so goverment should buy him a cow each year to show appreciation and poor people who pay hundreds or thousands should keep quiet.
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by naptu2: 11:16am On Sep 21, 2013
Ok, so two more questions (in addition to my earlier questions).

1) How much is the 2013 hajj fees?

2) Can the phones be described as "free phones" if they are paid for from the pilgrims' fees? (The article refers to "free phones" )

I found the answer to the first question.

[size=14pt]Nigeria: FG Announces 2013 Hajj Fares, Approved Airlines[/size]

29 July 2013 , By Abdulkadir Badsha Mukhtar, Source: Daily Trust

Federal government has approved the 2013 hajj fares and five airlines selected for the operation, the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria has said.

A statement signed by NAHCON spokesman, Uba Mana, said the hajj fares which are for the North and South departure zones, are divided into three categories -minimum, medium and maximum hajj fares - with the first category comprising two grouping of pilgrims made up of those with BTA allowance and those without.

The minimum fare without BTA for the northern departure zones is N526, 996.52 while the southern departure zones is N534,369.52. For the second category - those with BTA - a pilgrim will pay N636, 496.52 and get a BTA of $750 for the Northern departure zones as against last year's N613,645, while those from the South will pay N643, 869.52 and get $750 as BTA.

NAHCON said pilgrims in the medium category from the Northern departure zones will pay N672, 996.52, while those from the South will pay N680, 369.52 with $1000 as their BTA for each.

For pilgrim on the maximum category, those from the northern departure zones will pay N750, 996.52 while those from the South will pay N758, 369.52 with $1500 each as BTA.

The commission also said the five approved air carriers for the airlift of pilgrims registered under the states include Kabo Air Ltd, Med-View, Max Air, Meridian Air and Skypower Express.

For international pilgrims the federal government approved NAS Air Charter, a Saudi-based airline, and Tradecraft Nigeria Limited while Medview Travel Konsult Ltd, Cargo Zeal Technologies Ltd and Slim Aviation Services Ltd will operate as carriers for pilgrims' excess luggage.

The commission therefore, called on all the states and other pilgrims' agencies to speed up the process of collecting the balance of hajj fares from intending pilgrims and remitting same to it to facilitate early conclusion of necessary arrangements.

http://m.allafrica.com/stories/201307290565.html/
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by naptu2: 12:12pm On Sep 21, 2013
Thanks mods.
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by omonnakoda: 1:56pm On Sep 21, 2013
What does any of that rubbish haVe to do with Ogun state.?

The payments are a binding CONTRACT in law between the pilgrims and their carrrier(NOT OGUN STATE) If they don't like it is it NOT compulsory they can fly from Senegal or Afghanistan . They agreed to pay that rate and mobile phones were NOT part of the bargain. Ogun state is NOT a party to ANYTHING.

If you go to Sheraton and pay 5000 for a bottle of coke that is your CHOICE to go the toilet afterwardand decide to take the toilet roll home and say you paid 5000 for coke is motor park logic.
The most important thing here is OGUN STATE IS NOT A PARTY.

Even if it was we do not know the cost stucture but there are so many aspects in life where government takes more than it gives .That is why it is government.

To be honest I find the logic you are using absolutely absurd. Once again I ask shold those citizen who pay exponentially more tax LIKE DANGOTE

receive hampers and rams at Xmas and Ileya from government
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by naptu2: 2:22pm On Sep 21, 2013
Now I'm scared to post links smiley

1) Tax payers are not given rams and hampers, rather they are given plaques. The following got plaques recently.

Nigerian LNG, Julius Berger, Coca Cola, Citi Bank Nigeria Limited and Standard Chartered Bank. Chairman of Elizade Motors, Chief Michael Ade Ojo, former Chairman of Punch Nigeria Limited, Chief Ajibola Ogunshola, former Secretary General of the Commonwealth, Chief Emeka Anyaoku, Chief (Dr.) Mrs. Akande and Chief Molade Okoya-Thomas among others.

http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/news2.php?k=1730

2) That wasn't even my point. My point is that the author of the article used the phone issue to attract attention to his piece, but left out the details. It's not possible to know what exactly happened without those details (we can only guess). So my questions are:

A) Why did the government give them phones (it's not stated in the article).

B) Where did the money come from?

C) Can the phones be described as "free phones" If, as has been suggested by some, the funds came from the fees paid by the pilgrims? (The article said the phones are free).
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by omonnakoda: 3:02pm On Sep 21, 2013
naptu2: Now I'm scared to post links smiley

1) Tax payers are not given rams and hampers, rather they are given plaques. The following got plaques recently.

Nigerian LNG, Julius Berger, Coca Cola, Citi Bank Nigeria Limited and Standard Chartered Bank. Chairman of Elizade Motors, Chief Michael Ade Ojo, former Chairman of Punch Nigeria Limited, Chief Ajibola Ogunshola, former Secretary General of the Commonwealth, Chief Emeka Anyaoku, Chief (Dr.) Mrs. Akande and Chief Molade Okoya-Thomas among others.

http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/news2.php?k=1730

2) That wasn't even my point. My point is that the author of the article used the phone issue to attract attention to his piece, but left out the details. It's not possible to know what exactly happened without those details (we can only guess). So my questions are:

A) Why did the government give them phones (it's not stated in the article).

B) Where did the money come from?

C) Can the phones be described as "free phones" If, as has been suggested by some, the funds came from the fees paid by the pilgrims? (The article said the phones are free).

No the most important thing is ; was it in the Ogun State Budget ?

You are the one suggesting that it comes from the money they pay.Do they pay a kobo to OGUN STATE ??
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by naptu2: 3:04pm On Sep 21, 2013
omonnakoda:

No the most important thing is ; was it in the Ogun State Budget ?

You are the one suggesting that it comes from the money they pay.Do they pay a kobo to OGUN STATE ??

Where did I suggest that it comes from the money they pay

And the question I asked is, where did the funds come from?
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by naptu2: 3:07pm On Sep 21, 2013
I just discovered that the state government sponsored pilgrims in the past. I wonder if the anti-spam bot will ban me if I post the article.
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by omonnakoda: 3:09pm On Sep 21, 2013
naptu2: Ok, so two more questions (in addition to my earlier questions).

1) How much is the 2013 hajj fees?

2) Can the phones be described as "free phones" if they are paid for from the pilgrims' fees? (The article refers to "free phones" )

I found the answer to the first question.

http://m.allafrica.com/stories/201307290565.html/
This is a suggestion by any stretch of the English Language. Or is this NOT a suggestion? Please check up the meaning of the word and stop being childish
In order word you indicate that there is a possibility. I am saying there is NO POSSIBILITY of such.
Ogun state is NOT a carrier for HAJJ
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by naptu2: 3:10pm On Sep 21, 2013
[size=14pt]No Free Hajj Again In Ogun, Says Amosun[/size]

The Ogun State Governor, Ibikunle Amosun, has declared that henceforth the state government won’t sponsor people on pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia and Jerusalem.

He stated this yesterday during his state of the state address held at the Cultural Centre, Kuto, Abeokuta. He was responding to a question from one of the representatives of a Muslim group at the occasion.

Amosun said: “With apology to all our religious leaders both the Muslims and Christians, I want to say this clearly that there won’t be free Hajj or pilgrimage to Jerusalem for anybody in the state. Nobody should be expecting that the state government will sponsor pilgrimage.

“Why should we be doing that for now, where is the money? A state where we cannot afford to pay workers’ salaries, no water, no electricity, our schools are in shambles, our hospitals are in deplorable conditions, infrastructure in the state are outrightly in decay. How can we now have resources for that?

“There is no free pilgrimage in the state for now. By the time things are getting better and its clear to all of us that the state is okay, maybe, we can then think of that. But for now, no way.”

The governor, however, promised that he will continue with his personal obligations of sending people to the holy land as he had done even before he come into politics.

He said: “Many of you here know that I have been sending people to Mecca and Jerusalem in the last 12 to 15 years before I even dreamt of going into politics. If chance permits and God provides the resources, I will do that personally and not from government purse. I have been doing it and I pray to God to give me more strength and resources to continue doing that.”
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by omonnakoda: 3:11pm On Sep 21, 2013
naptu2: I just discovered that the state government sponsored pilgrims in the past. I wonder if the anti-spam bot will ban me if I post the article.
how is that relevant to mobile phones now
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by naptu2: 3:13pm On Sep 21, 2013
omonnakoda:
This is a suggestion by any stretch of the English Language. Or is this NOT a suggestion? Please check up the meaning of the word and stop being childish
In order word you indicate that there is a possibility. I am saying there is NO POSSIBILITY of such.
Ogun state is NOT a carrier for HAJJ

smiley Deols and Maclatunji suggested that it was from the hajj fees and I asked if the phones can be described as free phones if they were from hajj fees (the article refers to free phones).

So you can see, I never made any such suggestion.
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by naptu2: 3:15pm On Sep 21, 2013
omonnakoda: how is that relevant to mobile phones now

Read the 2nd and 3rd posts on this thread.
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by omonnakoda: 3:17pm On Sep 21, 2013
naptu2:

smiley Deols and Maclatunji suggested that it was from the hajj fees and I asked if the phones can be described as free phones if they were from hajj fees (the article refers to free phones).

So you can see, I never made any such suggestion.
I suggest you open your dictionary . How can they be from Hajj fees. What do Hajj fees have to do with Ogun State
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by naptu2: 3:18pm On Sep 21, 2013
grin
Re: Ogun Gives Free Phones To Hajj Pilgrims by SuperT(m): 5:16pm On Sep 21, 2013
While students in Ogun state school don't have furniture to sit in the Class.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fasting And Fidyah Regarding The Pregnant & Breastfeeding Mother / The Islamic Way To Raise The Children / Controversies Sorronding The Celebration Of Maoulid Nabiyy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.