Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,534 members, 7,865,211 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 02:02 PM

Tips On How To Make A Long Distance Relationship Work. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Tips On How To Make A Long Distance Relationship Work. (942 Views)

HELP:: How Do I Make This Long Distance Relationship Work! / Can A Relationship Work When We Have Different Backgrounds / Signs That Your Long Distance Relationship Is Fading (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips On How To Make A Long Distance Relationship Work. by captainobvious: 3:55pm On Sep 21, 2013
People tend to think that long distance relationships are one of the hardest possible ways of loving someone. If you are willing to work it out, here’s how to give it every chance to survive and thrive. Please do feel free to add yours. Enjoy.
Ask the important questions at onset to make sure you are both clear on the parameters of the relationship; Setting parameters such as naming your relationship (dating, seeing each other, boyfriend-girlfriend, engaged) as well as defining exclusive (limited to one person). These can be difficult and awkward questions to ask, but will save you great headache and misunderstanding along the line. Stating your end goal or ideas will allow each person to maintain what they need.
Do things together; as a long distance couple it is important to do other things together besides the usual phone call. In a long distance relationship, interaction over the phone can become dull in the long run. Coming up with other forms of interaction are important. Just think… people in short distance relationships do not spend the majority of their time talking, but rather doing things with each other, try to replicate this by finding things to do together such as watching a TV show , movie or even discuss on a particular topic on nairaland simultaneously.
Consider using skype video chat calls every day or as often as possible, text messaging, phone calls and emails everyday; it is important to maintain contact and to be in each other’s daily life as much as possible.
Communicate in some way every day, more than ones if possible; since u wont be seeing each other, it is important to maintain emotional connection; This don’t always have to be long, in-depth conversation. Tell each other about your little triumphs and tragedies. Ask for advice. Use instant messengers such as bbm, whatsapp or webcams for that visual connection. And also remember long distance phone call can put a strain on your budgets. Do not take communication for granted.
Take advantage of the benefits a long distance relationship offers; more time with friends/ families, no arguments over little things, the pleasure of seeing sweat heart again after a long absence, time to weigh your options (rather than snapping at your partner impulsively) before you respond to a message he/she wrote that seemed so rude the first time you read it, etc.
Pursue common interest, even if it means pursuing them apart; if there is a movie or a soap you’re both interested in seeing, watch individually and call each other afterward and talk about it. Read a certain book at the same time, star gave while you are on phone… lol, find creative ways to bond.
Avoid the temptation to be controlling; important please, people have free will and no one can or should control another person; As long as you are both interested in being in a relationship, you will stick with it and distance will not a make a difference. As soon as one of you decides the other is not a good match- or someone else is a better match-your relationship ends, whether you live 3000 miles apart, two streets over, or share the same bed with your partner’s picture. You are going to have to trust each other completely if this relationship is going to work. Remember just because you’re apart doesn’t mean you should act or feel like you’re single or let others view you as such as half the commitment of being loyal is making it clear to the rest of the world that you’re in a relationship. Flirting with someone else should never cross your mind.
Try challenging each other; this is not the same as being controlling; You may find that you can do things for each other that you couldn’t quite find the motivation to do on your own. Perhaps you can motivate yourselves to get some exercise or to cook better or more often. It will give you both something to strive for and talk about until then.
Talk about your future together; assuming that ultimately you want to live together, discussing on how you are going to get to that point will help you prove to each other that the relationship is getting somewhere and that your efforts and aspirations are not in vain.
Avoid jealousy and be trusting; one of the easiest ways to destroy a perfectly healthy relationship is to poison it with jealousy and drama. It is always helps if you go into a relationship with idea of everyone is innocent and worthy of trust until proven otherwise. Don’t fall into the trap of interrogating your partner every time he/she goes out on a drink with people you haven’t met or he or she did not get back to you right away when you called and left a message. However just as important make sure you being up front with your partner and not leaving them room to ask questions. You should both maintain your social activity and be happy with yourself.
Give them a personal object of yours so in time of need, when they miss you, they are able to hold on something that once belonged to you; this will provide comfort, happiness, and the thought of being with you.
Because time together is rear, when you do see each other, take as much advantage as possible of your ability to get intimate with each other; you don’t have that privilege during those times when you can’t be with each other physically. You’ve got to keep those feelings of excitement and attraction alive they will wane in time.
I dedicate this to my one and only Princess Damola.
Re: Tips On How To Make A Long Distance Relationship Work. by Mucokey(m): 4:10pm On Sep 21, 2013
notably taken notes...Op I hail o

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Make A Long Distance Relationship Work. by Danhumprey: 5:09pm On Sep 21, 2013
Mucokey: notably taken notes...Op I hail o
I think,this would be of immense help to me! embarassed Most especially the issue of trust.
Re: Tips On How To Make A Long Distance Relationship Work. by Mucokey(m): 7:06pm On Sep 21, 2013
Danhumprey: I think,this would be of immense help to me! embarassed Most especially the issue of trust.
If only that of Trust is enough, one ve take the proper cognizance that "body no be firewood" in which case that "a mouth which ve already started eating wella always welcomes Food"...if u cud read my mind cool
Re: Tips On How To Make A Long Distance Relationship Work. by DExplorer1: 9:59pm On Sep 21, 2013
Is this a love poem?

(1) (Reply)

Best Marriage Proposal Ever / Is It Lawful For A Parent To Arrest A Guy Who Impregnated Thier Daughter / How To Fix A Bad Kisser

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.