Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,786 members, 7,817,261 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:59 AM

Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? (21179 Views)

The Allegory Of Adam And Eve / No Christian Will Be Left Behind On Rapture Day : Parable Of The 10 Virgins / The Man Who Saw Adam,abel,lot And Jonah (the Call) Must Read. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Sep 30, 2013
texanomaly:

It appears you have a fan club. wink
*comes into fan club meeting dressed in disguise* cool tongue
more like 'fellow nairaland addicts' looking to blame me. the first step of curing an addiction is admitting to it grin grin

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Sep 30, 2013
thehomer:

So it was a "special fish" that swallowed Jonah? Seriously you guys will believe anything at all as long as it is written in the Bible.
guy u re d 1 bein ignorant er, God work in a mysterious way,tin of Daniel in d lionden
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Sep 30, 2013
texanomaly:

It appears you have a fan club. wink
*comes into fan club meeting dressed in disguise* cool tongue

Come one, come all!

Ps, don't mind Obadiah, He knows its him nairaland
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by victorious1986: 5:18pm On Sep 30, 2013
thehomer:

So it was a "special fish" that swallowed Jonah? Seriously you guys will believe anything at all as long as it is written in the Bible.
capital letter YES n better start doing too if u want peace of mind
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by texanomaly(f): 5:18pm On Sep 30, 2013
obadiah777: more like 'fellow nairaland addicts' looking to blame me. the first step of curing an addiction is admitting to it grin grin
tongue tongue tongue
Speak for yourself Mr Everywhere On NL.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 6:17pm On Sep 30, 2013
philfearon:
He Kept you alive to see this morning,givin u another opportunity to come back to Him...Some people couldnt make it to this morning cuz they died from their sleep..You dont know the Battle He fought,He fights and is still fighting over you...You are not better than Those who died last night..You were not even aware of What happened in the 6-8hrs you slept...BUT YOU WOKE UP....The Lord God has called You!!

No he didn't keep me alive. Why couldn't he keep those people who died in their sleep alive? Did he lose their battles? If he had the time to fight those battles, then he should have had the time to call me yesterday. I'm giving your God another chance. Have him call me in the next 2 hours.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 6:17pm On Sep 30, 2013
obadiah777: smdh cry dayum scoffers wink

What can I say? Scoffers gonna scoff.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 6:18pm On Sep 30, 2013
Bleble-swag:

guy u re d 1 bein ignorant er, God work in a mysterious way,tin of Daniel in d lionden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1pCudKUIRg

Sure he works in mysterious ways like this clip shows right?
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 6:23pm On Sep 30, 2013
victorious1986:
capital letter YES n better start doing too if u want peace of mind

How can it give you peace of mind that God can just present a special fish? Why doesn't he present any special fish to solve problems today? Or special bats to fly pastors around?
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by mollie12: 8:42pm On Sep 30, 2013
I'm always annoyed with myself that I meet threads like this when they are 8 pages gone and all manner of ignorant people have had their chance to scoff at what they don't understand.

A word to atheists: get a life. If you don't believe God is real, why expend so much time, energy, kilobytes in militant mode at everything Christian? Stop trying to throw up baseless arguments against God: they will never hold.

Concerning the Jonah fish issue: this is not something Christians rack their brains trying to figure out because they already know how powerful their God is. But just in case you needed extra proof - here it is right here in nature - in the science of zoology:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basking_shark

We ask ourselves: what kind of fish could God have provided that had a stomach large enough to store a full grown man for up to 3 days, that would not have injured the man with sharp teeth during the process of swallowing him, whose digestive juices were not powerful enough to digest this man while he was in its stomach; and how will oxygen have been provided to the man during this time? Well, nature provides an answer for us in this interesting sea creature known as the BASKING SHARK (Cetorhinus maximus). It is the 2nd largest shark in the world, reaching lengths of up to 40ft, and smaller than only the whale shark. Unlike typical sharks that are known to be ferocious and have the capacity to eat humans, this shark is totally harmless! In fact, its so harmless that instead of teeth, it possesses only gill rakers and can only feed on small fish and plankton (microscopic sea organisms). Given its small feeding range, you would think it had one of the smallest mouths seen on sharks, but no, it has one of the largest jaws EVER, with a jaw width size of up to 1 metre! To give you a perspective, the average jaw width of a regular man is about 10cm. With this alone, we can already see the real-life, made-in-nature profile of Jonah's fish been built up, and you can check out the wikipedia link I posted for more information.

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by drdams: 10:15pm On Sep 30, 2013
mollie12: I'm always annoyed with myself that I meet threads like this when they are 8 pages gone and all manner of ignorant people have had their chance to scoff at what they don't understand.

A word to atheists: get a life. If you don't believe God is real, why expend so much time, energy, kilobytes in militant mode at everything Christian? Stop trying to throw up baseless arguments against God: they will never hold.

Concerning the Jonah fish issue: this is not something Christians rack their brains trying to figure out because they already know how powerful their God is. But just in case you needed extra proof - here it is right here in nature - in the science of zoology:

We ask ourselves: what kind of fish could God have provided that had a stomach large enough to store a full grown man for up to 3 days, that would not have injured the man with sharp teeth during the process of swallowing him, whose digestive juices were not powerful enough to digest this man while he was in its stomach; and how will oxygen have been provided to the man during this time? Well, nature provides an answer for us in this interesting sea creature known as the BASKING SHARK (Cetorhinus maximus). It is the 2nd largest shark in the world, reaching lengths of up to 40ft, and smaller than only the whale shark. Unlike typical sharks that are known to be ferocious and have the capacity to eat humans, this shark is totally harmless! In fact, its so harmless that instead of teeth, it possesses only gill rakers and can only feed on small fish and plankton (microscopic sea organisms). Given its small feeding range, you would think it had one of the smallest mouths seen on sharks, but no, it has one of the largest jaws EVER, with a jaw width size of up to 1 metre! To give you a perspective, the average jaw width of a regular man is about 10cm. With this alone, we can already see the real-life, made-in-nature profile of Jonah's fish been built up, and you can check out the wikipedia link I posted for more information.

cool
mollie12: I'm always annoyed with myself that I meet threads like this when they are 8 pages gone and all manner of ignorant people have had their chance to scoff at what they don't understand.

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by thehomer: 12:34am On Oct 01, 2013

You're a very funny person. Do you think Jonah developed gills to enable him live in this shark? Where did he get drinking water? And how big do you think its mouth is that Jonah would be able to live in it for three days? Or don't you think the shark also ate and swallowed whatever it ate into its stomach? The jaw being 1 metre wide doesn't mean that when it closed its mouth, the space would be enough for Jonah to live in for 3 days.

If the arguments against God won't hold, then why are the arguments in support of God so terrible and unsatisfying that you feel the need to drag up this poor shark and claim its digestive juices won't have been able to digest Jonah?
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Crixina(f): 4:49pm On Oct 01, 2013
mcfynest:

this are things of the spirit......this is not herb,grass or heathen doctrine.... but this is spiritual and only the elect can decode this mysteries
who are the elect?if God expects everyone to understand this,hence believing in him,then trust me not every one will understand it the same way,which brings me bck to the different interpretations.it was just easier when everyone thought it to be a real fish.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Crixina(f): 5:01pm On Oct 01, 2013
obadiah777: oh yes Jesus feeding five thousand people with 5 loaves and 2 fish is an allegory. what is fish ? ( to fish for souls ) what is oil ? what is milk ? what is bread ? what is meat ? what is oil ? they all mean THE WORD. so when he fed five thousand people with 5 loaves and 2 fishes, its allegory speech for saying 'he preached the word to 5000 people' wink wink

JOHN 6 VS 35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
this got me cracking,cos am not a bible scholar but atleast read the part that said this act was done after the men had followed him for days hearing the word,an he just couldn't send them away like that,even one of the disciples asking him whr they will get food to feed this multitude,so going by your theory,after he feed them the word,he fed them the word again.Alleluyah!

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Oct 01, 2013
Crixina: this got me cracking,cos am not a bible scholar but atleast read the part that said this act was done after the men had followed him for days hearing the word,an he just couldn't send them away like that,even one of the disciples asking him whr they will get food to feed this multitude,so going by your theory,after he feed them the word,he fed them the word again.Alleluyah!
story is allegorical. when they say they followed them around, it means they stayed listening to the scriptures for a long time. they followed them through the scriptures. the scriptures come alive and they become part of it and follow the disciples through every story and lesson. its all allegorical speech. and then when they followed them around ( listened to scriptures ), they fed them with fish and bread ( fished them with the word meaning they got converted ). so basically saying after listening to scriptures for a while they got converted wink

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Debeloved87(m): 12:01am On Oct 02, 2013
obadiah777: story is allegorical. when they say they followed them around, it means they stayed listening to the scriptures for a long time. they followed them through the scriptures. the scriptures come alive and they become part of it and follow the disciples through every story and lesson. its all allegorical speech. and then when they followed them around ( listened to scriptures ), they fed them with fish and bread ( fished them with the word meaning they got converted ). so basically saying after listening to scriptures for a while they got converted wink
you and your allegorical version of the bible. you should sure write out one for weak and feeble minded folks like you that cant comprehend the Awesomeness of God.....Ephesian 3:20- "Now unto Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we could ever ask...."

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 10:15am On Oct 02, 2013
@Obadia, so d turning water into wine Jesus performed is also allegory abi?

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 10:46am On Oct 02, 2013
Debeloved87: you and your allegorical version of the bible. you should sure write out one for weak and feeble minded folks like you that cant comprehend the Awesomeness of God.....Ephesian 3:20- "Now unto Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we could ever ask...."
you do err Debeloved >>>>

psalms 78 vs 2 I will open my mouth in a parable cheesy

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 10:48am On Oct 02, 2013
Bleble-swag:
@Obadia, so d turning water into wine Jesus performed is also allegory abi?
yes now. what is water ?

revelation 17 vs 15 And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the LovePeddler sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues. <<< water is peoples

what is wine ? wine is philosophies and doctrines and in this case it is the word. so basically turning water into wine means converting many people into the word. you do err Blebe-swag wink

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 11:08am On Oct 02, 2013
obadiah777: yes now. what is water ?

revelation 17 vs 15 And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the LovePeddler sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues. <<< water is peoples

what is wine ? wine is philosophies and doctrines and in this case it is the word. so basically turning water into wine means converting many people into the word. you do err Blebe-swag wink

I confuse. cry cry cry
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 11:14am On Oct 02, 2013
TinyPurpleBaby:

I confuse. cry cry cry
what is 'confuse' you mademoiselle TPB embarassed
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 11:23am On Oct 02, 2013
obadiah777: what is 'confuse' you mademoiselle TPB embarassed

I thought Jesus works were literal not allegorical...now the wedding at Cana is now allegorical? You like to give yourself work OH! Hain...

So the bridegroom(if that is even literal) was complaining because his guests did not believe in anything?

I really CONFUSE angry angry angry
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 11:41am On Oct 02, 2013
TinyPurpleBaby:

I thought Jesus works were literal not allegorical...now the wedding at Cana is now allegorical? You like to give yourself work OH! Hain...

So the bridegroom(if that is even literal) was complaining because his guests did not believe in anything?

I really CONFUSE angry angry angry
you can take it as literal. it works on that level too. biblical stories work both on literal or the actual allegorical exigesis. with the literal you are only on the surface but the message is the same. however one thing to note is that the lord is not professor peller or david blaine. he does not go around doing cheap magic tricks such as converting water to wine so that people can get drunk and enjoy themselves at wedding ceremonies lmao wink
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 11:46am On Oct 02, 2013
obadiah777: you can take it as literal. it works on that level too. biblical stories work both on literal or the actual allegorical exigesis. with the literal you are only on the surface but the message is the same. however one thing to note is that the lord is not professor peller or david blaine. he does not go around doing cheap magic tricks such as converting water to wine so that people can get drunk and enjoy themselves at wedding ceremonies lmao wink

Okay so what was the bridegroom complaining about, if not wine?
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 11:50am On Oct 02, 2013
TinyPurpleBaby:

Okay so what was the bridegroom complaining about, if not wine?
i have not read that story in a while. i will brush up on it later and respond. but the lord is not a magician. keep that in mind. he dont do cheap tricks lol
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by write2obi(m): 11:57am On Oct 02, 2013
texanomaly:
*looks around, whispers*
Your secret's safe with me. wink
He is not MostHigh, like he said, he is his partner in crime. Lol
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 11:59am On Oct 02, 2013
obadiah777: i have not read that story in a while. i will brush up on it later and respond. but the lord is not a magician. keep that in mind. he dont do cheap tricks lol

@ the green, THANKS. Appreciate

@the red, lmao, I already knew that but it never occurred to me that this story would be part of it. But this is getting really good, really really good cool
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Oct 02, 2013
TinyPurpleBaby:

@ the green, THANKS. Appreciate

@the red, lmao, I already knew that but it never occurred to me that this story would be part of it. But this is getting really good, really really good cool
scriptures is really really good cool

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by drdams: 3:44pm On Oct 02, 2013
# d Philosophical Bible Analyst #
and who is d Mary in that wedding if nt Mother of Jesus?
obadiah777: scriptures is really really good cool
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Oct 03, 2013
@Obadia, stop turning the HOLY BIBLE UPSIDE-DOWN. Ha! human beings sef.
Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Oct 04, 2013

You are absolutely wrong. The story of Jonah and the great whale are clearly allegorical and are one of a multitude of stories in the bible that seek to deliver a purely spiritual message as opposed to a historical account. Of course, like the creation story which is Sumerian in origin, the story of Jonah is not unique to the Hebrews. In classical Greek mythology, the divine hero Heracles, son of Zeus is swallowed by a great whale at the very same spot at Joppa.

Just to be clear, this account is made centuries before bible authors came up with their version.

1 Like

Re: Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? by Rogers210(m): 7:56pm On Oct 16, 2013
If you measure out Noah's ark, you will discover it isn't big enough to contain all the occupants as claimed by the bible. This biblical stories are largely mythical. I think they are mainly written to impress kids.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Christianity; The Religion Not Founded By Jesus / Nigerians In UK Engage In Praise And Worship On The Street Of Cannock (video) / Why Pator Chris Okotie Divorced His Wife Stephanie Henshaw

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.