Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,449 members, 7,808,604 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:10 PM

So You Want To Be A Programmer...? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / So You Want To Be A Programmer...? (20743 Views)

Teach Me How To Become A Programmer / Which Phone Will You Recommend For A Programmer? / Who Is A Programmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by javalove(m): 2:05pm On Sep 24, 2013
So you want to be a programmer? You want to write web and desktop applications. You want to develop software for the iPhone and the Android market You want to be a solutions provider to companies and individuals alike. Let me share tips that will help in your quest to be one of us – the geeky do-gooders!

Like any other profession, IT requires determination, patience and willingness to persevere. The begining could be very challenging and intimidating because you might find it hard to figure out some ugly looking write-ups called “codes”. You would wonder why a line – JButton buttonObject = new JButton(“Click Me”) – should create a button with “Click Me” written on it in Java. You might even be thinking about wireless internet connections as some voodoo from the west.

Being a PROGRAMMER or a SOFTWARE DEVELOPER is not rocket science. It’s not as hard as many make it seem. Those codes that scare you seem to me as the easiest part of our profession. Once you understand the structure, the rules and the syntax, basically the ‘logic’ of why codes are written in programming language, the rest is easy.
Also, note that the more you code, the more you try out examples in the book you are reading, the eaiser it will be for you to master the coding techniques of the language. I remember my NIIT (an Indian school in Nigeria) days. I would always volunteer to do the coding, ever willing to help a mate identify errors in his/her code. By the end of the first semester, my coding skills was actually faultless.

Once you master coding, the rest depends on how well you can think. Don’t wait for your instructor to tell you what to do. Go ahead and give yourself a pet project. It could be as simple a project as creating a database of students in your college with information on their names, grades and activities. Build it in bits. As your knowledge grows, let the software you are building grow in functionality as well. Who knows, it just might turn out to be a gold mine for you.

In my case, the pet project I did at NIIT, Hospital Management System, kick started my career and put me on the IT radar in Nigeria. I travelled different states, met high-profile people, addressed a cross section of medical practitioners, all at the age of 22! Since then, it’s been one challenging project or the other.

You also need to start thinking like a computer. Start viewing life and events around you with an IT lens. You walk into a resturant, order a pie and a drink totalling $10. If you pay less than the total, the computer rejects. What do you think is happening there.? Consider this statement

If amount paid < 10. . . . tell customer money incomplete else
Print reciept for customer.
If a Java programmer were to right this, its simple
if(amount < 10)
{
showMessage(“Customer money incomplete”);
}
else
{
printReceipt();
}

Another example. Imagine you are playing the FIFA 2011 soccer game (Sorry, I’m a game freak smiley smiley with a mate and at the end of the first half, the match analysis is displayed showing that your team had 3 corner kicks and 2 offsides. What comes to your mind? It means there is a ‘variable’ to store value for each of those game highlights. The variable is set to zero at kickoff and incremented by 1 anytime you win a corner kick or caught offside. At the end of the half, the variables are retrieved and presented to you. If you did not win a corner kick, the variable remains zero. Does it make sense?

Bottom line here is how logically you can break down or tear apart any situation in daily life and apply it to programming. This will determine your pace of learning as well. Start paying attention to the things you normally ignore. From your ATM machine telling you “Insufficient Funds” to your webmail application returning an ‘Invalid Login’ message. The more you understand the dynamics behind these simple things, the faster it will be for you to come up with solutions to problems related to IT, technology, finance, pharma, healthcare, education and even entertainment and sports industries (think about cricket match analysis on your TV).

Again, don’t expect that you will master the syntax or grammar of coding in a day or learn computer languages immediately. The more you write them, the easier they are for you to recall.

Note also, that not everyone will end up being a coder, however, a good understanding of the intricacies involved will help. So, for instance, if you decide to be an IT Project Manager or an Application Specification Developer amongst other fields, you should have the basic understanding of coding and programming.

Finally, you need a writing pad. As the wind blows new ideas to your direction, write them down. What kind of idea it is, who will it affect or who are the target audience, what do you need to bring it to life, revenue generation strategies and so on, should be penned.

Source: www.javamylove.

#Javalove. . .unless otherwise stated. . .!

Do you want to learn programming?

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by omoelu1(m): 10:22pm On Sep 24, 2013
wow!!! this post is really interesting and inspirational. making programming look like “abc“. thank you javanian for digging out such inspirational post.
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by Nobody: 11:46pm On Sep 24, 2013
Nice work, I've not started coding.. buh dz write up makes it look easy
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by talk2hb1(m): 12:02am On Sep 25, 2013
omoelu1: wow!!! this post is really interesting and inspirational. making programming look like “abc“. thank you javanian for digging out such inspirational post.
This is not Javanian this is Javalove shine your eyeses

1 Like

Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by GideonG(m): 7:29am On Sep 25, 2013
I'm Inspired! Thanks
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by omoelu1(m): 9:30am On Sep 25, 2013
talk2hb1:
This is not Javanian this is Javalove shine your eyeses
oh! my bad.i was so blinded by d post dat i cudnt even knw d name of d poster
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by Nobody: 9:23am On Sep 26, 2013
GideonG: I'm Inspired! Thanks
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by dani1luv: 1:33pm On Sep 28, 2013
Not bad

1 Like

Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Sep 28, 2013
I don miss road
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by sylve11: 1:37pm On Sep 28, 2013
Nice one @ op. cool
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by dionflex: 1:39pm On Sep 28, 2013
I already know a little about JAVA C++ and ORACLE. And I Dont tink its bad @ all. Guy u tried but the latest now is Webdesigning (HTML, CSS, JAVASCRIPT, WML, XHTML, PHP, ASP.NET ETC) and u Can get Nice Tutorials On these topics @ http://naijaguyzbase.ml. NAIJAGUYZBASE.ML CELEBRATING NAIJA @ 53 Get all these for free Without goin to any webdesign Class.

2 Likes

Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by Davo93(m): 1:40pm On Sep 28, 2013
beeni omo iya mi grin
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by sanny18(m): 1:40pm On Sep 28, 2013
nice write up

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by mj(m): 1:41pm On Sep 28, 2013
Great article, programming is inborn for me.
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by akereconfi: 1:42pm On Sep 28, 2013
My CALLING
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Sep 28, 2013
I tried out web designing last year & it was fun until I got to the real deal (javascript & php) programing part. I was freaked out & dumped the idea... I'm a medical student though.
Nice post @ op.
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by talk2hb1(m): 1:46pm On Sep 28, 2013
Just My Hobby.
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Sep 28, 2013
nice post
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by Mchayy(m): 1:47pm On Sep 28, 2013
nice post. In other news, I need mobile developers. Check the offer here. https://www.nairaland.com/1456858/mobile-developers-needed
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by deols(f): 1:48pm On Sep 28, 2013
Programmers are the ones making money these days.

so, I want to be a programmer.
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by megareal: 1:54pm On Sep 28, 2013
Simple and informtive.
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by youngdee168(m): 1:55pm On Sep 28, 2013
Nice post. Are there professional bodies of programmers in Nigeria? If there is what are the requirements and procedures of joining?
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Sep 28, 2013
mj: Great article, programming is inborn for me.

Which programing language have you invented?

2 Likes

Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by IAMBREEZY: 1:56pm On Sep 28, 2013
Good
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by mj(m): 1:59pm On Sep 28, 2013
ActiveMan:

Which programing language have you invented?

I don't need to invent any, there are lots to work with sir.
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by nekaa(f): 2:00pm On Sep 28, 2013
Inspiring....
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Sep 28, 2013
mj:
I don't need to invent any, there are lots to work with sir.

lol grin
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by Ogaredu(m): 2:19pm On Sep 28, 2013
Great Piece! i'm taking up HTML and CSS tutorial. it is kinda challenging and sometimes i feel like quitting, but this has really motivated me.
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by talk2hb1(m): 2:22pm On Sep 28, 2013
deols: Programmers are the ones making money these days.

so, I want to be a programmer.
Just Pay me £1,000,000,000 I will teach you to program Facebook in 24hrs grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by Lilchilz(m): 2:26pm On Sep 28, 2013
GideonG: I'm Inspired! Thanks
which day u turn to ''waje''
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by KKImoh: 2:30pm On Sep 28, 2013
Me i badly wanna be a software/app developer, i'v fell in love with it, & i badly need clues,ideas,tutions on how to materialize it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Best School To Learn Java In Lagos / Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker / How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.