Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,722 members, 7,820,507 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:09 PM

The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller (19966 Views)

How Access Bank Treated Us Unjustly / 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target / Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by gr8femfred: 1:55pm On Oct 01, 2013
Travelista: Sorry to hear about the deaths of your coworkers; terribly sad state of affairs.

Now, here's something you may not want to read but it's truth and may help to put a few things into perspective:

1. According to your post, IBplc was taken over by Access Bank. As an IBplc employee (core or support), a person would be lucky to still have their job. In takeovers/mergers, the company that was taken over almost always gets the short end of the stick; this means, unless stipulated in the documentation that allowed for the acquisition and/or merger in the first place, your jobs is not guaranteed. If any wants to be angry, their wrath should be directed at the former leaders of IBplc.

2. Access Bank does not have to offer room for growth to former IBplc workers. Access has employees they hired using their own hiring practices; they come first. Don't like it, find another job.

3. As for being terminated for the slightest infraction: remember that Access took over physical branches but they may not need all of the employees acquired from IBplc. Again, making a mistake may look like you shouldn't have been hired in the first place. I know the excuse is flimsy but, again, they don't have to keep on people they did not vet themselves.

4. I don't even know how to address you blaming Access for the death of employees. If the families of the deceased believe that death was caused by actions made/taken by Access, they can file a lawsuit. Other than that, no business is going to offer money without being asked/forced.

5. Again, Access did not have to keep IBplc employees on payroll. Asking workers to stay late is the norm especially after a major takeover. As there lapses during the transition period, it is only fair that things get back to normal as soon as possible; that usually means someone is going to be burning the midnight oil and as IBplc was taken over, their held over workers get to do the grunt work.

6. No one from the former IBplc or Access Bank has to show up for the funerals; would it have been nice to show solidarity at such a time? Of course but it is a personal choice as to whether one attends such events. Outside of the branch where the deceased worked, no one else should be expected to beat their chests and pull out their hair. Access Bank is your employer and NOT your relative. As long as they pay you, they don't owe you anything else.

7. Core staff and support staff are not the same thing nor do they share the same duties; why should support staff be afforded the same benefits of core staff? You're complaining about not receiving nursing mother benefits even though your were paid during your maternity?! Amazing. Here, maternity leave is unpaid.

8. The more I read, the more irritated I am becoming with the author of this piece. Unless the professional, core and support staff all have the same level of degree, the complaints should just end. Why should someone put in the time to earn a higher degree only to earn the pay money and benefits as someone that has a lower level degree?

I can't even continue...this person was kept following a takeover and still complains. I must need a nap because this whole piece is just full of whining for no justifiable reason.

Cheer up, upgrade your degree and try again. If Access still won't give you a chance, look elsewhere. Good luck. smiley
My frd I won't talk much on ur comment but I w just point 2 one or two tings.I never work with access bank and I w never work with dem coz I hav a beta job.I have frds working with access bank and other banks and I can tell u d diff is much must especially so call Contract staff. Is a slavery my sister work with dem in lagos @ Odun ade branch I told her to stop d job I w b paying her monthly her Salary is not even up 2 50k. Nigeria is a contry where all w celebrate is certificate not d real quality in any one. I worked with 1st bank 4 3yr and I can tell u d diff.so stop showing us ur weakness. Only heartless man sounds like u. Tnk God I A♍ wit Bsc and I knw 1000s of HND dat can do beta dan me.

7 Likes

Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by bukatyne(f): 1:56pm On Oct 01, 2013
Travelista: Sorry to hear about the deaths of your coworkers; terribly sad state of affairs.

Now, here's something you may not want to read but it's truth and may help to put a few things into perspective:

1. According to your post, IBplc was taken over by Access Bank. As an IBplc employee (core or support), a person would be lucky to still have their job. In takeovers/mergers, the company that was taken over almost always gets the short end of the stick; this means, unless stipulated in the documentation that allowed for the acquisition and/or merger in the first place, your jobs is not guaranteed. If any wants to be angry, their wrath should be directed at the former leaders of IBplc.

2. Access Bank does not have to offer room for growth to former IBplc workers. Access has employees they hired using their own hiring practices; they come first. Don't like it, find another job.

3. As for being terminated for the slightest infraction: remember that Access took over physical branches but they may not need all of the employees acquired from IBplc. Again, making a mistake may look like you shouldn't have been hired in the first place. I know the excuse is flimsy but, again, they don't have to keep on people they did not vet themselves.

4. I don't even know how to address you blaming Access for the death of employees. If the families of the deceased believe that death was caused by actions made/taken by Access, they can file a lawsuit. Other than that, no business is going to offer money without being asked/forced.

5. Again, Access did not have to keep IBplc employees on payroll. Asking workers to stay late is the norm especially after a major takeover. As there lapses during the transition period, it is only fair that things get back to normal as soon as possible; that usually means someone is going to be burning the midnight oil and as IBplc was taken over, their held over workers get to do the grunt work.

6. No one from the former IBplc or Access Bank has to show up for the funerals; would it have been nice to show solidarity at such a time? Of course but it is a personal choice as to whether one attends such events. Outside of the branch where the deceased worked, no one else should be expected to beat their chests and pull out their hair. Access Bank is your employer and NOT your relative. As long as they pay you, they don't owe you anything else.

7. Core staff and support staff are not the same thing nor do they share the same duties; why should support staff be afforded the same benefits of core staff? You're complaining about not receiving nursing mother benefits even though your were paid during your maternity?! Amazing. Here, maternity leave is unpaid.

8. The more I read, the more irritated I am becoming with the author of this piece. Unless the professional, core and support staff all have the same level of degree, the complaints should just end. Why should someone put in the time to earn a higher degree only to earn the pay money and benefits as someone that has a lower level degree?

I can't even continue...this person was kept following a takeover and still complains. I must need a nap because this whole piece is just full of whining for no justifiable reason.

Cheer up, upgrade your degree and try again. If Access still won't give you a chance, look elsewhere. Good luck. smiley

I am mobile so I can't break your post down.

I do not think the OP wants to earn the same salary as the MD; he wants support staff to be treated with the same degree of fairness as the core staff.

He gave examples of birthday cakes, recognition of outstanding duties and overtime. Sometimes, a letter of appreciation, a gift as little as a company brooch, a mail of gratitude or recognition during events will suffice.

If you see nothing wrong in the mgt not sending a delegation team to the funeral of the OP's dead colleagues, it is well.

We all want to pursue professionalism but let us first remember that it is human beings who work.

22 Likes

Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by bukatyne(f): 2:00pm On Oct 01, 2013
Ralphlauren:

NEVER.

this madness is only done within the borders of Nigeria.

What do you expect when we have no functional labor union?

1 Like

Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by excell12go(m): 2:02pm On Oct 01, 2013
Op, I need u to understand that u'll definitely find something disgusting wherever u work. If u get employed by a very rich company today, ur salary might actually be double of what it is now; but believe me, u'll still experience disappointment, frustration and discouragement.
I a member of the executive council of the Medical Students' Association in OAU. Despite my selfless efforts and salary/wage-free services, I still receive criticism from some oda excos, some members of d association and some of my lecturers. U can imagine how tough it is for me to combine Medicine with politics and still face frustration in some ways. I've always known that ALL I'm passing through is to mould me in2 a perfect being in few years time. If I find myself in ur condition tomorrow, it won't be new to me again.
I'll advise u to keep doing your job. No good work will go unrewarded. If man fails to reward u, God will.
I pray that God grants the families of the diseased the fortitude to bear their losses.
Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by Nobody: 2:05pm On Oct 01, 2013
This does not happen only in the banks even private coy are worst than this.
Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by Nobody: 2:10pm On Oct 01, 2013
imsu.boi:

Dude, relax.. Don't be rude. Did you even bother reading what the OP is trying to pass on? Use your head.. Its not for fancy cry

Thunder fire you dia... Werey! I know you usually sit down with your head bro but... Goodnews... Its for mature thinking and responses... Why will the op give us his final year dissertation and project to proof read for him? Mtchewwwww.
Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by Nobody: 2:14pm On Oct 01, 2013
Well, wetin I wan talk again naw cry

I thoroughly hate Nigeria. I remember as far back as secondary school, I wanted to get the fvck out of that horrible country. Thank God I was able to.

Nobody gives a fvck about anything in Nigeria. Nobody regulates anything. Nobody values human life. How can someone work from 7am to 2am. Jisos!

The banks run cutthroat style of banking and treat their staff like livestock without sufficient leave time or pay. Damn!

Even this small work wey I dey do for yankee so, I am treated like royalty and I get appreciated for the job done. Na wa o! Even when my wife had to take emergency surgery and I was away for 3 days, my supervisors felt my pain and even kept checking on me to know if all was well.

Like I have said, GEJ is not Nigeria's problem. Nigerians are their own problem.

5 Likes

Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by tunnex190: 2:17pm On Oct 01, 2013
I really feel so bad about this story. Try and upgrade OP.

1 Like

Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by saintneo(m): 2:20pm On Oct 01, 2013
I don't know where to start, but I know these BS happen
.....when people are employed because they know someone
.....when people fail to stand up for their rights
.....when there is no proper channel for communication
.....when people with to enslave other people
.....when people are willing tools in their enslavement
.....when there is no proper authority, useless assistants usurped the authorities of their bosses

Never allow yourself to be intimidated by any person. Challenge the status quo. Read about rebellious personalities, read about champions and read about freedom.
Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by Nobody: 2:23pm On Oct 01, 2013
saintneo: I don't know where to start, but I know these BS happen
.....when people are employed because they know someone
.....when people fail to stand up for their rights
.....when there is no proper channel for communication
.....when people with to enslave other people
.....when people are willing tools in their enslavement
.....when there is no proper authority, useless assistants usurped the authorities of their bossets

Never allow yourself to be intimidated by any person. Challenge the status quo. Read about rebellious personalities, read about champions and read about freedom.

...........and thereafter lose your job and nothing can be done against that.

Nigeria is a sad place.
Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by Osama10(m): 2:25pm On Oct 01, 2013
Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by pekelepekele(m): 2:25pm On Oct 01, 2013
I noticed 7am to 2am work? Well selling recharge cards by the road side is better than that .

1 Like

Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by tunnex190: 2:26pm On Oct 01, 2013
bukatyne:

I am mobile so I can't break your post down.

I do not think the OP wants to earn the same salary as the MD; he wants support staff to be treated with the same degree of fairness as the core staff.

He gave examples of birthday cakes, recognition of outstanding duties and overtime. Sometimes, a letter of appreciation, a gift as little as a company brooch, a mail of gratitude or recognition during events will suffice.

If you see nothing wrong in the mgt not sending a delegation team to the funeral of the On's dead colleagues, it is well.

We all want to pursue professionalism but let us first remember that it is human beings who work.

Wow! You know my mind. Well-said
Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by Nobody: 2:28pm On Oct 01, 2013
Well, I've tasted the two sides of the coin and all I can say is dt grumbling won't solve anyone's problem. Take action. As far as u r in a payroll of any company, u r expected to put in ur best.
If u don't like it u put in ur letter and quit.

I was once a contract staff at Uba (not now that they are enjoying). Then, there was a parallel line between main staff and contract, no conversion. When I got there, I saw people that were contract staff for more than 10 year( from old stb) and were still contract staff. No promotion nor increase in salary(atleast to compensate for inflation). When I noticed all these, I told myself that I can't stay there for one year and in 5 months, I got another job offer that paid me 4 times my salary as a contract staff. It was as if I opened the door for other contract staff cos the problem a lot of them have is that they get too relaxed on the job, they rather complain than take action.

1 Like

Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by tunnex190: 2:29pm On Oct 01, 2013
gr8femfred:
My frd I won't talk much on ur comment but I w just point 2 one or two tings.I never work with access bank and I w never work with dem coz I hav a beta job.I have frds working with access bank and other banks and I can tell u d diff is much must especially so call Contract staff. Is a slavery my sister work with dem in lagos @ Odun ade branch I told her to stop d job I w b paying her monthly her Salary is not even up 2 50k. Nigeria is a contry where all w celebrate is certificate not d real quality in any one. I worked with 1st bank 4 3yr and I can tell u d diff.so stop showing us ur weakness. Only heartless man sounds like u. Tnk God I A♍ wit Bsc and I knw 1000s of HND dat can do beta dan me.

You really sound like human and not like other wicked fellow

2 Likes

Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by Nobody: 2:36pm On Oct 01, 2013
Policewoman: No be by force to work for bank. If you cant stand the heat, get the heck out of the kitchen.

Are you serious with this comment ? If a Nigerian company can treat their fellow Nigerians like piece of shiit, how would you pprotect them from the excesses of the lebanese and the chinese ?

1 Like

Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by KKImoh: 2:39pm On Oct 01, 2013
LEXYCOM: And u xpect me to read this long shit....

read b4 u spew trash
Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by KKImoh: 2:42pm On Oct 01, 2013
Policewoman: No be by force to work for bank. If you cant stand the heat, get the heck out of the kitchen.
[url]
[/url]
nawa o
Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by eagleeye2: 2:46pm On Oct 01, 2013
A rebelious person like me won't be caught dead working in the bank............ even as a govt employee, my Oga dey ask me if I go fit come work some days.
Abeg, how much dem dey pay una for bank? You earn money and you can't even enjoy it. Mba.
I believe the guy that wrote this epistle has already resigned or has been sacked. So I say congratz bro. It is time to use your God given brain to survive.
Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by Eklektika(m): 2:47pm On Oct 01, 2013

You harsh o! I tell you. You talk like one of these 'Higher Ups', who are often too professional, lack empathy and and are generally unfeeling. Well, its your your opinion,sha.
Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by Nobody: 2:48pm On Oct 01, 2013

spoken like a true ba'stard

2 Likes

Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by debbleopto: 2:52pm On Oct 01, 2013
hustla: I will not open an account with that bank

Oloshis

The summary of the whole thread is that they are not being treated well and discrimination is the order of the day..

stories is incomparable with experience. I am not a staff but customer and was so displeased with the operations. it is so rubbish. when it was IBPLC it was very wonderful. before opening account I like it. when I did it wasn't regrettable. the MD put it in, every branches numbers to call if not b attended to adequately. The ATM was working fine. When I heard the news IBPLC is taken, over by access I smelled it by perception ( spiritual intuition ) that the services will go bad. My ATM was not working again. I complained and filled form four times for a period of 6 months. but no remedy. It was excuses of the headquarters not treating the issue. they also switch off the TVs in the banking halls. the excuse: against access bank code of operation. I told my branch to remove it as it is no longer useful. in few months it was removed. They show more seriousness but less of performance and customers expectations.
Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by aytp2(m): 2:53pm On Oct 01, 2013
I understand your predicament , my bro share the same fate with you in the same bank, so I really understand...I'm also a support staff in a diff bank where I work though we have hope of growing in ours....I just want you to know that nothing is permanent in life and you'll achieve your goal in life and nothing will stop that not even your bank. Bear it in mind that in the same bank you're complaining some support staff are payed lesser than yours and if you leave today many will still fight for the job in this county of ours, just move on and with your experience many banks will gladly accept you. Peace!
Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by osheydollar: 2:57pm On Oct 01, 2013
@ rosesola can u give me the name of the company that are recruiting bankers?because am really interested in working in a bank.
Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by Goldenboy007(m): 2:59pm On Oct 01, 2013
OP, it's common with all contract employment arrangements in most companies in Nigeria; Oil industry, Telecoms, Multinationals etc. All maltreatment that you mentioned are the "norms" with contract staffing, you are not alone. You would be surprised nothing would change even with your letter, it is the way the system is built. I would give you an advice, if you cannot change the system then change yourself cos that's your only way out, upgrade your qualifications and start looking for other opportunities. I will tell you no condition is permanent, you might come back and end up being part of the management of Access Bank.

@Nairalanders, some of you do not have an iota of empathy, you are all there mocking him and imagine some of you have been jobless since you graduated and scrounging on your poor parents, some of you are employed but your case is worse and some of you are hopeless undergraduates that don't even know when you would graduate and oblivious of your fate after graduation! Your case is like the adage of the son that abused his hustling father of being wretched for not working hard enough to be wealthy like his friend's father, the son should just be a little more patient because he too would soon join the race to find out why his father had remained wretched all these years.

Let those that think they have the upper hand now beware because "permanent staff" is a relative term, in the long run nobody is permanent; as far as it is not your father that owns the company, you are all bloody variables! I'm a witness to a popular telecom company in Nigeria, the company provided a staff bus for ALL staffs but the permanent staffs always prevented the contract staffs from joining the bus saying they are not in the same category with them. This year, the Telecom company has decided to outsource every single staff! so who is now entitled to staff bus? That's the irony of life!!! the only constant thing in life is change!

5 Likes

Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by osheydollar: 3:09pm On Oct 01, 2013
Is there any Nairalander that can connect me to ano outsourcing where i can secure a bank job or any other available job,i am a graduate of Business Administration & Management,i have my HND result and NYSC discharge,i am right now in lagos atate in search of job,so if there is anyone that can hook me up with any good outsourcing i will be very greatful.reach me tru dis number 08037323623,08077018444.Thanks.
Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by debbleopto: 3:14pm On Oct 01, 2013
Eklektika:

You harsh o! I tell you. You talk like one of these 'Higher Ups', who are often too professional, lack empathy and and are generally unfeeling. Well, its your your opinion,sha.

sometimes this is the origin of the harshness. They got so involved in the work that it becomes religion and meditate on it day and night. They get lesser time and interest for God. At leisure time they began reading some philosophy books written by occultic authors ( some even use Ouija board to write their books ). the whole things now make their heart to be hard and less humane.

2 Likes

Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by Nobody: 3:14pm On Oct 01, 2013

this reply is the most foolish I have seen in nairaland. Obviously the going is good with you but in this lifetime you will be forced to experience what those tellers are going through.

If access bank isn't mischievous, why didn't they just fire everyone and employ new people they will treat properly.

Being an hnd holder is nothing? This discrimination has to stop. I do not blame you or the bank, I only pity those who the nigerian situation has forced to become slaves in their country.

8 Likes

Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by Dare14: 3:18pm On Oct 01, 2013
na wao

1 Like

Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by rman: 3:25pm On Oct 01, 2013
Goldenboy007: OP, it's common with all contract employment arrangements in most companies in Nigeria; Oil industry, Telecoms, Multinationals etc. All maltreatment that you mentioned are the "norms" with contract staffing, you are not alone. You would be surprised nothing would change even with your letter, it is the way the system is built. I would give you an advice, if you cannot change the system then change yourself cos that's your only way out, upgrade your qualifications and start looking for other opportunities. I will tell you no condition is permanent, you might come back and end up being part of the management of Access Bank.

@Nairalanders, some of you do not have an iota of empathy, you are all there mocking him and imagine some of you have been jobless since you graduated and scrounging on your poor parents, some of you are employed but your case is worse and some of you are hopeless undergraduates that don't even know when you would graduate and oblivious of your fate after graduation! Your case is like the adage of the son that abused his hustling father of being wretched for not working hard enough to be wealthy like his friend's father, the son should just be a little more patient because he too would soon join the race to find out why his father had remained wretched all these years.

Let those that think they have the upper hand now beware because "permanent staff" is a relative term, in the long run nobody is permanent; as far as it is not your father that owns the company, you are all bloody variables! I'm a witness to a popular telecom company in Nigeria, the company provided a staff bus for ALL staffs but the permanent staffs always prevented the contract staffs from joining the bus saying they are not in the same category with them. This year, the Telecom company has decided to outsource every single staff! so who is now entitled to staff bus? That's the irony of life!!! the only constant thing in life is change!

MTN?
Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by liteville: 3:27pm On Oct 01, 2013

What happened to empathy? What happened to policies wearing a human face? The writer has not asked for heaven and earth, he just wants to be treated like a human being which I don't think is too much to ask for. To most of the points you've raised, they are rather inhuman and I'm not sure they were well thought out. If these former employees are not going to be treated with human dignity, then they shouldn't let them stay. The most basic thing an employer owes an employee is human dignity and respect.

2 Likes

Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by rman: 3:35pm On Oct 01, 2013
Outsourcing is poorly implemented in Nigeria. Unfortunately, major business operations are going this way to reduce cost and transfer risks.

The situation is the same across different sectors ( banking, oil and gas, telecoms etc )

What I find disturbing in cases of multinational companies is that, it is when Nigerians become managers or execs that all these polices are implemented.

The unemployment situation coupled with captalism and firece competition has made us lose any form of empathy for personel.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NIMC: Wrong Disengagement From Service / AIT Workers' Salaries Not Paid For Eight Months? (An Appeal To Raymond Dokpesi) / Fred Oyetayo Celebrates His 24th Birthday. Meet CEO Of Fresible, Lawrepositoryng

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.