Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,781 members, 7,820,733 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:27 PM

The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller (19968 Views)

How Access Bank Treated Us Unjustly / 7 Access-Bank Employees Die Of Hypertension Trying To Meet Target / Access Bank Sacks 1,500 Intercontinental Employees, Shuts Branches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by okpurukata(f): 10:45am On Oct 02, 2013
I strongly feel the pains of the op. I pray God will provide a better job for you.mas for Access Bank, the management should realize that if the tears and pain of its employees continually get to heaven, there will surely be a heavenly reaction one day. They should just watch it. I have seen what happenned to some of my most difficult bosses, who enslave in the name of capitalism as compared to some others who have a human face.

Human beings should and must be treated as human.
Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by Nobody: 11:01am On Oct 02, 2013
Travelista: Sorry to hear about the deaths of your coworkers; terribly sad state of affairs.

Now, here's something you may not want to read but it's truth and may help to put a few things into perspective:

1. According to your post, IBplc was taken over by Access Bank. As an IBplc employee (core or support), a person would be lucky to still have their job. In takeovers/mergers, the company that was taken over almost always gets the short end of the stick; this means, unless stipulated in the documentation that allowed for the acquisition and/or merger in the first place, your jobs is not guaranteed. If any wants to be angry, their wrath should be directed at the former leaders of IBplc.

2. Access Bank does not have to offer room for growth to former IBplc workers. Access has employees they hired using their own hiring practices; they come first. Don't like it, find another job.

3. As for being terminated for the slightest infraction: remember that Access took over physical branches but they may not need all of the employees acquired from IBplc. Again, making a mistake may look like you shouldn't have been hired in the first place. I know the excuse is flimsy but, again, they don't have to keep on people they did not vet themselves.

4. I don't even know how to address you blaming Access for the death of employees. If the families of the deceased believe that death was caused by actions made/taken by Access, they can file a lawsuit. Other than that, no business is going to offer money without being asked/forced.

5. Again, Access did not have to keep IBplc employees on payroll. Asking workers to stay late is the norm especially after a major takeover. As there lapses during the transition period, it is only fair that things get back to normal as soon as possible; that usually means someone is going to be burning the midnight oil and as IBplc was taken over, their held over workers get to do the grunt work.

6. No one from the former IBplc or Access Bank has to show up for the funerals; would it have been nice to show solidarity at such a time? Of course but it is a personal choice as to whether one attends such events. Outside of the branch where the deceased worked, no one else should be expected to beat their chests and pull out their hair. Access Bank is your employer and NOT your relative. As long as they pay you, they don't owe you anything else.

7. Core staff and support staff are not the same thing nor do they share the same duties; why should support staff be afforded the same benefits of core staff? You're complaining about not receiving nursing mother benefits even though your were paid during your maternity?! Amazing. Here, maternity leave is unpaid.

8. The more I read, the more irritated I am becoming with the author of this piece. Unless the professional, core and support staff all have the same level of degree, the complaints should just end. Why should someone put in the time to earn a higher degree only to earn the pay money and benefits as someone that has a lower level degree?

I can't even continue...this person was kept following a takeover and still complains. I must need a nap because this whole piece is just full of whining for no justifiable reason.

Cheer up, upgrade your degree and try again. If Access still won't give you a chance, look elsewhere. Good luck. smiley
You are the biggest hypocrite I have ever read on nairaland. You mean a fellow is complaining of obvious discrimination, risk of death due to unethical work practices by management and all you can type is 'he was lucky to have been retained by management' after takeover from IBPLC, how more inhuman can your post sound? One day you'll get down from that high horse and see how it is to be down, remember the company whose tag you're clinging to can just wake up and issue you a sack letter, maybe you'll smell the coffee by then.

5 Likes

Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by Nobody: 12:00pm On Oct 02, 2013
I got a job offer from Globacom, thinking it was a direct employment but I was surprised when I got a mail to report at Gloworld when I have not met Mike Adenuga himself in the course of my interviews.
Fresh from NYSC, budding with enthusiasm, I accepted the offer and reported, the I discover am a contract staff, I was so unhappy cos I know there will be inhuman treatment.
They started from the pay, I was expecting not less than 100K but the pay is 50K, we work 7-5 officially but most times we leave 6 or even 7 pm atimes, we work Monday to Saturday, we were given Sunday to wash our cloths.
Every permanent staff saw themselves as my boss, my immediate supervisor will steal my cards at will so that I will be in debt, I settle about 3,500 to 4,000 recharge card debt per month, card that my boss stole from my stock.
I am the one to remit daily sales money to glo account, put on the gen in the morning, off it a closing time, I get to go to bank for account information alone about 2wice a week, the staff also send me unofficial errands, and I have to attend to customers as well. The funniest part is that, in terms of qualification only 2 of them has higher qualification than I do, one has 2 masters degree and the other was doing his MBA, the rest are BSc like me.
I knew I can be suffering like this long, I have to check out. Even the permanent staff complains that of departments of the company like legal,HR, etc have better pay than them in sales, as they said then, some of their colleague take as much as 12 million per annum.
I made up my mind, that I cannot cont to be used to do the works of those who get paid millions doing next to nothing. I applied for my Masters, the moment I got admission offer from a school that's very far from Lagos, I resigned and went back to school.
They were surprised, they thought I will be enduring their inhumane treatment but I freed myself by deciding to add value to myself through education.
Without prior notice, I left them, they still owe me a month pay which they refuse to pay.
@OP, your outsourcing company and Access needs to be petitioned, but all u need to do is to just develop yourself educationally, don't leave the job if you don't have enough savings like me. Do your PGD,Masters and get ACA or ICAN and I believe you will get a better offer. God be with you.

2 Likes

Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by largeman4u(m): 1:02pm On Oct 02, 2013
so sad, the NLC should be held responsible for all this mess....
even those korean Companies @ sango-Otta did worst things to workers ...

every organisation should send their staff welfare packages to NLC for approval before it been implemented.

RIP to those who lost their lives.
Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by Travelista(f): 2:37pm On Oct 02, 2013
Tesiday: I got a job offer from Globacom, thinking it was a direct employment but I was surprised when I got a mail to report at Gloworld when I have not met Mike Adenuga himself in the course of my interviews.
Fresh from NYSC, budding with enthusiasm, I accepted the offer and reported, the I discover am a contract staff, I was so unhappy cos I know there will be inhuman treatment.
They started from the pay, I was expecting not less than 100K but the pay is 50K, we work 7-5 officially but most times we leave 6 or even 7 pm atimes, we work Monday to Saturday, we were given Sunday to wash our cloths.
Every permanent staff saw themselves as my boss, my immediate supervisor will steal my cards at will so that I will be in debt, I settle about 3,500 to 4,000 recharge card debt per month, card that my boss stole from my stock.
I am the one to remit daily sales money to glo account, put on the gen in the morning, off it a closing time, I get to go to bank for account information alone about 2wice a week, the staff also send me unofficial errands, and I have to attend to customers as well. The funniest part is that, in terms of qualification only 2 of them has higher qualification than I do, one has 2 masters degree and the other was doing his MBA, the rest are BSc like me.
I knew I can be suffering like this long, I have to check out. Even the permanent staff complains that of departments of the company like legal,HR, etc have better pay than them in sales, as they said then, some of their colleague take as much as 12 million per annum.
I made up my mind, that I cannot cont to be used to do the works of those who get paid millions doing next to nothing. I applied for my Masters, the moment I got admission offer from a school that's very far from Lagos, I resigned and went back to school.
They were surprised, they thought I will be enduring their inhumane treatment but I freed myself by deciding to add value to myself through education.
Without prior notice, I left them, they still owe me a month pay which they refuse to pay.
@OP, your outsourcing company and Access needs to be petitioned, but all u need to do is to just develop yourself educationally, don't leave the job if you don't have enough savings like me. Do your PGD,Masters and get ACA or ICAN and I believe you will get a better offer. God be with you.

Please repeat your advice in bold to your fellow NLers; when I say it, I'm a monster and much worse. You did the right thing by not waiting for Gloworld to realize that you are an asset. You realize the power of a certificate because in some lines of work, that slip of paper opens doors that would be otherwise remain closed, regardless of how hard you work.

valacious:
You are the biggest hypocrite I have ever read on nairaland. You mean a fellow is complaining of obvious discrimination, risk of death due to unethical work practices by management and all you can type is 'he was lucky to have been retained by management' after takeover from IBPLC, how more inhuman can your post sound? One day you'll get down from that high horse and see how it is to be down, remember the company whose tag you're clinging to can just wake up and issue you a sack letter, maybe you'll smell the coffee by then.

Valacious, grow up; what is with NLers and the penchant for hyperbole? grin If you were truly a part of the real world in a serious capacity, you'd understand that I told no lies to the OP. I want them (and everyone else in these threads) to understand that employers are not your friends. They will undermine you and cut costs to the detriment of the employee and client at every turn to keep profits high, especially if there are shareholders to keep happy. What am I typing that you and your ilk don't understand? Do what several (including myself) have advised: upgrade your degree! If your employer doesn't respect your talents, find a company that will see the value in having your on board. Thinking that suffering in silence and becoming a martyr will make your boss perk up and realize they should give you a triple promotion and 1000% salary increase is a waste of time; it's akin to forcing a square peg into a round hole.

If you don't believe me about acquisitions and mergers leaving some employees without a job when the takeover is complete, Google is your friend. I have yet to see a takeover that did not result in layoffs either in the very beginning or within 6 months to deal with employee overlap. You talk about risk of death due to one's employment? Listen, I've already addressed the death of the bankers. Is Access Bank liable? They definitely are to an extent which is why I mentioned a lawsuit. If you think Access is going to voluntarily hand out money to the families of the deceased, you are a fool. They will throw out every excuse in the book: 'We didn't make them travel by road!' 'Was it an Access Bank driver operating the vehicle? No?! Then how is it our fault?' Trust me, I know how these games go. As for clinging to a company tag? I went out on my own a couple of years ago however my time in the corporate world toughened my skin and made me realize that I (like everyone else from the top of the pyramid to the very bottom) was just a number and if I was not willing to understand how things work, I'd get caught under the wheels of my employer, ground up and left for dead. Maybe YOU should wake up and 'smell the coffee'.

Again, good luck and, when it comes to work, think with your head mainly and not your heart because your heart will blind to you to the changes you need to make to better market yourself.
Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by kambo(m): 8:28pm On Oct 02, 2013
Travelista: Sorry to hear about the deaths of your coworkers; terribly sad state of affairs.

Now, here's something you may not want to read but it's truth and may help to put a few things into perspective:

1. According to your post, IBplc was taken over by Access Bank. As an IBplc employee (core or support), a person would be lucky to still have their job. In takeovers/mergers, the company that was taken over almost always gets the short end of the stick; this means, unless stipulated in the documentation that allowed for the acquisition and/or merger in the first place, your jobs is not guaranteed. If any wants to be angry, their wrath should be directed at the former leaders of IBplc.

2. Access Bank does not have to offer room for growth to former IBplc workers. Access has employees they hired using their own hiring practices; they come first. Don't like it, find another job.

3. As for being terminated for the slightest infraction: remember that Access took over physical branches but they may not need all of the employees acquired from IBplc. Again, making a mistake may look like you shouldn't have been hired in the first place. I know the excuse is flimsy but, again, they don't have to keep on people they did not vet themselves.

4. I don't even know how to address you blaming Access for the death of employees. If the families of the deceased believe that death was caused by actions made/taken by Access, they can file a lawsuit. Other than that, no business is going to offer money without being asked/forced.

5. Again, Access did not have to keep IBplc employees on payroll. Asking workers to stay late is the norm especially after a major takeover. As there lapses during the transition period, it is only fair that things get back to normal as soon as possible; that usually means someone is going to be burning the midnight oil and as IBplc was taken over, their held over workers get to do the grunt work.

6. No one from the former IBplc or Access Bank has to show up for the funerals; would it have been nice to show solidarity at such a time? Of course but it is a personal choice as to whether one attends such events. Outside of the branch where the deceased worked, no one else should be expected to beat their chests and pull out their hair. Access Bank is your employer and NOT your relative. As long as they pay you, they don't owe you anything else.

7. Core staff and support staff are not the same thing nor do they share the same duties; why should support staff be afforded the same benefits of core staff? You're complaining about not receiving nursing mother benefits even though your were paid during your maternity?! Amazing. Here, maternity leave is unpaid.

8. The more I read, the more irritated I am becoming with the author of this piece. Unless the professional, core and support staff all have the same level of degree, the complaints should just end. Why should someone put in the time to earn a higher degree only to earn the pay money and benefits as someone that has a lower level degree?

I can't even continue...this person was kept following a takeover and still complains. I must need a nap because this whole piece is just full of whining for no justifiable reason.

Cheer up, upgrade your degree and try again. If Access still won't give you a chance, look elsewhere. Good luck. smiley

this a st.upid reply. With all d stink of "nigerian mentality" to it.
Y do u think when most people leave the country they dont ever want to come back! Cuz religion or no religion God or no God, every body wants to b treated with consideration and the success of the most successful nations and d failure of d most hellish nation states on d planet hinges on how the human elements in them are treated.
When ppl are treated like disposables under the pretext that they are not original access bank employees you hav a depraved management in place.
Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by dgreatgreg: 2:02pm On Oct 03, 2013
in a take over, if you want to fire workers, fire them. but i repeat it is illigal to have a different policy for the retained staffs of the company taken over. you cannot pay ur initial staff #100,000 and pay the retained staff below that. or you provide medical allowance for your initial staff and ignore the retained staffs of the other company. it is illegal. its just dat the finance to pursue that case is not what an individual can afford
Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by debbleopto: 3:50pm On Oct 03, 2013
okpurukata: I strongly feel the pains of the op. I pray God will provide a better job for you.mas for Access Bank, the management should realize that if the tears and pain of its employees continually get to heaven, there will surely be a heavenly reaction one day. They should just watch it. I have seen what happenned to some of my most difficult bosses, who enslave in the name of capitalism as compared to some others who have a human face.

Human beings should and must be treated as human.

what I saw last year is the way they ascended in the acquisition of IBPLC is the way they will descend. I smelled into the fabrics of the management and discovered that.
Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by jpphilips(m): 1:06pm On Oct 05, 2013
bukatyne:

What do you expect when we have no functional labor union?

And a two inch senator feeding fat on our common wealth without a single bill. who doesn't know that our labor law is obsolete?

I don't blame access bank, they operate the way the Nigerian Govt has left things, my blame goes to the op and the rest of us who feel indifferent in issues of National importance,

this same senators that have refused to repeal this farce of labor law are in Anambra looking for a guber position and you will be suprised that the same Nigerians who are the recipient will run and vote them in again.

Nigerians deserve every sh!! t that befalls them.
Re: The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller by rosesola: 7:36am On Oct 16, 2013
@ oshydollar, despite all the complain of this teller about a contract staff, u still prefer to work as a contract work. Mind u, be prepare, it is not a joke cos when u get there, u r going to hear from them. U will be treated like a shit, like someone that has no future. The discrimination alone is nof to throw u out of balance. U will only be entitle to ur salary and no other allowance is to be added. If u still wish to be employed as a support staff with all this challenges, then Iwish u good luck. Now as an HND holder, u must v Upper credit and not more than 25years, if u didn't meet up with the requirements, den don't boder urself cos u will not be giving audience. We v many of them like ICSL,VLA, FBN outsource firm and soon. Go to the net and contact them. Best of luck

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NIMC: Wrong Disengagement From Service / AIT Workers' Salaries Not Paid For Eight Months? (An Appeal To Raymond Dokpesi) / Fred Oyetayo Celebrates His 24th Birthday. Meet CEO Of Fresible, Lawrepositoryng

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.