Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,609 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:09 PM

INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni (42720 Views)

Aguyi Ironsi, Ojukwu As Young Soldiers (Throwback Photo) / See How Aguiyi Ironsi Was Murdered In Cold Blood. (viewers Discretion Advised). / Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Afam4eva(m): 5:46pm On Sep 29, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

I think Ironsi's death was a collateral damage too. Given how his wife described events up to it, from her angle. I don't think Johnny was the type to engage in a coup.
How was ironsi's death a collateral damage when he was the head of state and they needed to kill him...And who's Johnny?
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by nku5: 5:47pm On Sep 29, 2013
Katsumoto:

Yeah, people couldn't analyse the event and issues on their own. You think others are as dumb as you are.

Dude fvck off with your pseudo history pulp. You are free to spin whatever tale you like about 1966 but keep your crass language to yourself
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by nku5: 6:04pm On Sep 29, 2013
slimghost:
Questioning the discipline and the loyalty to the course of the igbo soldiers sent to enugu is understandable but calling the coup a power grab by igbos is outright silly!

I heard the stories of why okpara wasn't killed in the coup when his house was taken by the plotters. Here's the most recent take on it by max siollun in his book.

http://books.google.com/books?id=t5Q78sVbLakC&pg=PA54&lpg=PA54&dq=archbishop+makarios+michael+okpara&source=bl&ots=PDH-lkCZ6k&sig=RdPMrTa4jQ34qXApwIROjw8fllk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=MVdIUsz6D4rm4wSqmYAw&ved=0CBAQ6AEwAQ
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by softwareman(m): 6:28pm On Sep 29, 2013
nku5:

The truth is that people were relieved at the initial success of the coup until the northern elite did what many people still do today - they spun a tale of an igbo plot for domination and its very easy to inflame passions that way especially as igbos had been on the receiving end of suspicion and antagonism in the north long before 1966.
Go read Ben gbulie account. The real motive of the coup became obvious right from the next day, but what other conclusions do you expect people to come to about a coup planned by 90% of igbo officers and where the victims are 100 percent non igbos. If it was the other way round what other conclusions would you have drawn?

1 Like

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:29pm On Sep 29, 2013
Igbo people are bunch of tribalists. It runs in their blood. They, both army officers and politicians, conspired and killed people of both Western and Northern regions.
If you can lay your hands on this book, The Five Majors - Why They Struck, read it. It is written by A. M. Mainasara. It is a 59 page book. It is revealing.
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by nku5: 6:43pm On Sep 29, 2013
software man:
Go read Ben gbulie account. The real motive of the coup became obvious right from the next day, but what other conclusions do you expect people to come to about a coup planned by 90% of igbo officers and where the victims are 100 percent non igbos. If it was the other way round what other conclusions would you have drawn?

Of course I would be very suspicious. No doubt about that. But from accounts I've seen the initial reaction to the overthrow of the 1st republic was one generally of relief until the red flags of igbo domination were raised. The first republic was a mess. I'll look up that book and get the angle you're referring to.
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by UyiIredia(m): 6:47pm On Sep 29, 2013
Afam4eva:
How was ironsi's death a collateral damage when he was the head of state and they needed to kill him...And who's Johnny?

Okay. Johnny is a name off the name John which the initial J in his nane stands for. JTU Aguyi-Ironsi. The T is for Thomas, whilst the U is for some native name I can't recall.
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Ngwakwe: 6:59pm On Sep 29, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Okay. Johnny is a name off the name John which the initial J in his nane stands for. JTU Aguyi-Ironsi. The T is for Thomas, whilst the U is Umunnakwe.

Fixed
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Katsumoto: 7:06pm On Sep 29, 2013
I noticed that Slimghost and others are carefully avoiding certain questions

1. After the Balewa government was overthrown, how come Ironsi's advisory team was made up of all Igbos - Francis Nwokedi, Pius Okigbo, and Lt. Colonel Patrick Anwunah?

2. Eleven (11) Majors were promoted substantive Lt. Cols while fourteen (14) Majors were made temporary Lt. Cols. Of these, 19 were Igbo or Igbo speaking easterners and midwesterners, 5 northerners (Katsina, Akahan, Shuwa, Muhammed, Haruna) and one Yoruba (Olutoye). These promotions happened even though there was a moratorium on promotions in the military. Why was the moratorium ignored and why the hurry? Approximately 76% of those promoted were Igbo.

3. Today, many Igbo folks still refer us to the Aburi accord. The main request at Aburi was to revert back to regionalism. But it Ironsi that promulgated decree 34 which divided Nigeria into 35 provinces and made all civil servants part of a unified civil service despite being advised not to do so by Katsina, Gowon, Bassey, and Kam Salem. It was also the same Ojukwu who the day after the promulgation of decree 34, announced in Enugu that on the basis of seniority, Igbo civil servants would be transferred to other regions and Lagos. Isn't this a case of trying to take someone sweets only to have yours taken away from you resulting in you DEMANDING that your sweets be returned to you? What right does a man who loses all his money in a poker game have to demand that his money be returned to him?

4. Who was going to benefit from the cancellation of the requirement for Hausa tests for jobs in the North? Was it not the Igbo civil servants that Ojukwu claimed were senior? Were they not Igbo?

Clearly, the beneficiaries of the coup were Igbo. The dust had not even settled in the land when the loot had started to be shared.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Katsumoto: 7:09pm On Sep 29, 2013
nku5:

Of course I would be very suspicious. No doubt about that. But from accounts I've seen the initial reaction to the overthrow of the 1st republic was one generally of relief until the red flags of igbo domination were raised. The first republic was a mess. I'll look up that book and get the angle you're referring to.

Nigeria is in a mess today.

Suppose a group of Hausa-Fulani (with one Yoruba officer) officers staged a coup and killed GEJ, Ihejirika, Alams, Clark, all the SE and SS governors, etc meanwhile Sambo was out of the country and no Northerners were killed. The coup either ends up being crushed and Sambo becomes president or the coup succeeds and a Hausa-Fulani officer emerged president - would we call such a coup a power grab by the Hausa-Fulani?

People celebrated because they hadn't realised who the plotters were and the ethnicity of the victims. As news filtered in, it dawned on them what had happened.

7 Likes

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by nku5: 7:29pm On Sep 29, 2013
Katsumoto:

Suppose a group of Hausa-Fulani (with one Yoruba officer) officers staged a coup and killed GEJ, Ihejirika, Alams, Clark, all the SE and SS governors, etc meanwhile Sambo was out of the country and no Northerners were killed. The coup either ends up being crushed and Sambo becomes president or the coup succeeds and a Hausa-Fulani officer emerged president - would we call such a coup a power grab by the Hausa-Fulani?

People celebrated because they hadn't realised who the plotters were and the ethnicity of the victims. As news filtered in, it dawned on them what had happened.

With the benefit of hindsight, the jihadist agenda exemplified by othman dan fodio, ahmadu bello's tribalistic hate speeches (including the one about southerners being subjugated with the help of minority tribes) I would definitely be alarmed.

However I think you have agreed with me in your second paragraph that what turned the revolution on its head was the fact that we are a fragile multi-ethnic society and igbo phobia was whipped up to turn public opinion against the coup. Not that the coup was unwelcome at the first.
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Katsumoto: 7:41pm On Sep 29, 2013
nku5:

With the benefit of hindsight, the jihadist agenda exemplified by othman dan fodio, ahmadu bello's tribalistic hate speeches (including the one about southerners being subjugated with the help of minority tribes) I would definitely be alarmed.

However I think you have agreed with me in your second paragraph that what turned the revolution on its head was the fact that we are a fragile multi-ethnic society and igbo phobia was whipped up to turn public opinion against the coup. Not that the coup was unwelcome at the first.

I wasn't agreeing with you. Igbo phobia was not whipped by anyone. If Zik, Orizu, Ironsi, and Okpara were eliminated then it would have been a noble coup. People would not have even minded the composition of the plotters if leaders from the East were targeted. The North and the East were in bed together. They had a lovers tiff and the Northern leaders are eliminated. Also, Yoruba lost sons and daughters to this lovers tiff even though the Yoruba weren't in bed with them. So how did the Igbo leaders who were part of the corrupt government manage to escape not only with their lives but their freedom as well?

That was the reason Nzeogwu, Ademoyega and Nwobosi blamed Ifeajuna, Okafor for the failure of the coup.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Katsumoto: 8:22pm On Sep 29, 2013
madam_oringo:

YES! Kastumoto please write a book! You may say well I am younger and not in the war myself but you have something A LOT of people don't have: cross referenced accounts of several encounters of history! Plus very incisive analysis and questions which are enough to form original ideas, analysis and expert opinions that could be discussed till eternity! It can be done and even any small obstacles like a small team of collaborators and researchers and funding can be easily contributed by a fraction of your readers on NL. I am very confident that your usually balanced views will ensure the most original accounts, undoctored and untainted with heresy and rumours will ensure the wide acceptance of the accounts as a complete source of knowledge. I would be glad to be part of such project at anytime.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have had that before; perhaps I will do it a bit later. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by rafindo(m): 8:56pm On Sep 29, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Okay. Johnny is a name off the name John which the initial J in his nane stands for. JTU Aguyi-Ironsi. The T is for Thomas, whilst the U is for some native name I can't recall.
johnson
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by pazienza(m): 9:31pm On Sep 29, 2013
Katsumoto:

Start debating by articulating your point cogently and stop resorting to diversionary tactics. Everything up there supports my position.

It was a power grab. The execution of the coup exposed their real intentions.

Igbo actions also confirmed this

1. After the Police completed its interrogation, the January coup suspects were transported to different prisons in the South but mainly in the East

2. A court-martial panel was nominated, headed by Lt. Colonel Conrad Nwawo (Nzeogwu’s friend and the man responsible for negotiating Nzeogwu’s surrender). Yet every time this panel was to sit, directives came from Supreme headquarters to postpone

3. Ironsi’s advisory team comprised Francis Nwokedi, Pius Okigbo, and Lt. Colonel Patrick Anwunah

4. Ironsi made Nwokedi the sole commissioner forthe establishment of an administrative machinery for a unified Nigeria

5. Ironsi abolished the compulsory Hausa test for civil service positions in the North, meaning that non-Hausa speaking people could take positions in the North.

6. Ironsi promulgated decree 34 which divided Nigeria into 35 provinces and made all civil servants part of a unified civil service despite being advised not to do so by Katsina, Gowon, Bassey, and Kam Salem. The day after the promulgation of decree 34, Lt. Col.Ojukwu publicly announced in Enugu that on the basis of seniority, Igbo civil servants would be transferred to other regions and Lagos.

7. Eleven (11) Majors were promoted substantive Lt. Cols while fourteen (14) Majors were made temporary Lt. Cols.Of these, 19 were Igbo or Igbo speaking easterners and midwesterners, 5 northerners (Katsina, Akahan, Shuwa, Muhammed, Haruna) and one Yoruba (Olutoye). These promotions happened even though there was a moratorium on promotions in the military.

8. In an interview back in the early eighties with Radio Kaduna, then Brigadier (later Major General) Mamman Vatsa, now deceased, is quoted by Elaigwu as saying:
“The July coup was motivated by the actions in January 1966 whereby an illegal action was legitimized.If you do that, you expect a counter reaction. July 29, 1966 was a reaction to an inaction against an illegal action….Right from the beginning, the GOC, Nigerian Army regarded these people as ‘rebels’.If that was accepted, the immediate thing was to take the necessary action to get them disciplined legally. If this was not done, then the GOC was condoning indiscipline or treason.Rather than punish men from his army who were on mutiny, he was now asking the civilian government to hand over to him before he could maintain discipline in an organization of which he was in charge….In the first instance, he shouldn’t even have taken over the power……”

Haha, funny the usage of Igbo or Igbo speaking. So,is Nzeogwu Igbo or Igbo speaking? *grins*
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by pazienza(m): 9:36pm On Sep 29, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

I think Ironsi's death was a collateral damage too. Given how his wife described events up to it, from her angle. I don't think Johnny was the type to engage in a coup.

What exactly are you talking about?
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by pazienza(m): 9:55pm On Sep 29, 2013
Katsumoto:

Very wrong analogy,i must say. Igbos had made no attempt to usurp the central government before the coup,and there were no anti-government speech from the igbos towards the central govt. I think, in the scenario you painted,the yoruba having tried through awo to usurp balewa should be exact substitute of the north of today, who had failed to usurp the GEJ govt through boko haram, and hence has laid the foundation for suspicion from the east, should a coup occur and GEJ killed,same reason people in the east refused to join the north and their wife in the fuel subsidy riots they wanted to turn into a revolution.

prior to the coup,there was simply no evidence to suggest that ndigbo wanted to overthrow the central govt, can we say the same for the yorubas,when awo their leader had already been jailed for treason? Like i said earlier,wrong analogy.

1 Like

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Nobody: 10:18pm On Sep 29, 2013
Honestly speaking, Katz is like a father who takes his time/patience to school his children over and over on the same subject matter even if it means breaking down the words or using an algorithm like logic.

I swear I do not have the half of the patience this man has - since page 1 he's still trying to make them get the point and he even supplied references to back his assertions up. Dayuumm!''

More grease to your elbow Katsumoto, I pray to have your type of patience when dealing with emotionally fvcked up debaters who are grabbing at last straws and even stooping so low to throw insults around just to evade analytical questions.

cool cool cool cool cool

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by pazienza(m): 10:22pm On Sep 29, 2013
Again, not that it is hard for a neutral observer to discern the dishonesty of our resident copy and paste master, but for the sake of naive igbos that will stumble on this thread, the federal appointment by aguiyi ironsi, when broken down into regional zones was like this:

Western region - 12 appointments
Northern region - 6 appointments
Eastern region - 3 appointments
Mid west region - 1 appointment
Expatriates - 3 appointments.

What an igbo coup and igbo dominated appointments.

1 Like

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Katsumoto: 10:28pm On Sep 29, 2013
pazienza: Again, not that it is hard for a neutral observer to discern the dishonesty of our resident copy and paste master, but for the sake of naive igbos that will stumble on this thread, the federal appointment by aguiyi ironsi, when broken down into regional zones was like this:

Western region - 12 appointments
Northern region - 6 appointments
Eastern region - 3 appointments
Mid west region - 1 appointment
Expatriates - 3 appointments.

What an igbo coup and igbo dominated appointments.

Not everyone speaks gorilla language, what appointments are you referring to?

Dont just provide generic information that no one understands. Supply a source or something.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by DerideGull(m): 10:31pm On Sep 29, 2013
Katsumoto:

Nice logic but why did Nwafor Orizu not swear in Dipcharima who was the individual selected by NPC, the party that lost the prime minister? Why did Orizu prefer to hand over to Ironsi? We deduce that because Ironsi was Igbo and to ensure that the objective of the failed coup was accomplished. Why should the death of two ministers (Balewa and Okotie Eboh) result in the death of democracy? Are Prime ministers not replaced regularly? Did Jonathan not sack about 9 ministers the other day? Did Nigeria collapse?

Nigeria became a country built on greed on injustice because

1. Igbo officers killed everyone else but their own

2. Orizu refused to swear in the individual nominated by the ruling party

3. Ironsi promulgated decree 34 which divided Nigeria into 35 provinces and made all civil servants part of a unified civil service despite being advised not to do so by Katsina, Gowon, Bassey, and Kam Salem. The day after the promulgation of decree 34, Lt. Col.Ojukwu publicly announced in Enugu that on the basis of seniority, Igbo civil servants would be transferred to other regions and Lagos.

4. Ironsi abolished the compulsory Hausa test for civil service positions in the North, meaning that non-Hausa speaking people could take positions in the North.

5. Ironsi’s advisory team comprised Francis Nwokedi, Pius Okigbo, and Lt. Colonel Patrick Anwunah (all Igbos)

6. Ironsi made Nwokedi the sole commissioner forthe establishment of an administrative machinery for a unified Nigeria

Analyse the issue dispassionately and not through the normal 'every other group is bad and evil while Igbo is innocent'. The Igbo attempted a power grab and failed. Isn't it an irony that the Igbo aligned with the North to form the first government but the Igbos then think all the problems in the first republic were caused by others but not Igbos. If the first government was corrupt and didn't rely on merit, are the Igbos not guilty of the crimes as well?

It is very shameful and worrisome that after years you spent on NL, you still have the effrontery to regurgitate the above conjectural crap lifted from junks prepared by Nowa Omoigui. Nobody can help you to understand how coalition government works in parliamentary democracy more than your silly self.

1 Like

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Katsumoto: 10:44pm On Sep 29, 2013
DerideGull:

It is very shameful and worrisome that after years you spent on NL, you still have the effrontery to regurgitate the above conjectural crap lifted from junks prepared by Nowa Omoigui. Nobody can help you to understand how coalition government works in parliamentary democracy more than your silly self.

Please identify the lies and provide proof to support your own facts. It is patently moronic to challenge a comment without offering an articulated and appropriate response

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by DerideGull(m): 10:52pm On Sep 29, 2013
Katsumoto: I noticed that Slimghost and others are carefully avoiding certain questions

1. After the Balewa government was overthrown, how come Ironsi's advisory team was made up of all Igbos - Francis Nwokedi, Pius Okigbo, and Lt. Colonel Patrick Anwunah?

2. Eleven (11) Majors were promoted substantive Lt. Cols while fourteen (14) Majors were made temporary Lt. Cols. Of these, 19 were Igbo or Igbo speaking easterners and midwesterners, 5 northerners (Katsina, Akahan, Shuwa, Muhammed, Haruna) and one Yoruba (Olutoye). These promotions happened even though there was a moratorium on promotions in the military. Why was the moratorium ignored and why the hurry? Approximately 76% of those promoted were Igbo.

3. Today, many Igbo folks still refer us to the Aburi accord. The main request at Aburi was to revert back to regionalism. But it Ironsi that promulgated decree 34 which divided Nigeria into 35 provinces and made all civil servants part of a unified civil service despite being advised not to do so by Katsina, Gowon, Bassey, and Kam Salem. It was also the same Ojukwu who the day after the promulgation of decree 34, announced in Enugu that on the basis of seniority, Igbo civil servants would be transferred to other regions and Lagos. Isn't this a case of trying to take someone sweets only to have yours taken away from you resulting in you DEMANDING that your sweets be returned to you? What right does a man who loses all his money in a poker game have to demand that his money be returned to him?

4. Who was going to benefit from the cancellation of the requirement for Hausa tests for jobs in the North? Was it not the Igbo civil servants that Ojukwu claimed were senior? Were they not Igbo?

Clearly, the beneficiaries of the coup were Igbo. The dust had not even settled in the land when the loot had started to be shared.

It is unfortunate you stuck with old habit of “copy and paste” and still receive idiotic accolades from dullards abound on NL.

In the #1 and #2 questions in the above junk you call post, you still show inherent traits that defy human decency. Ironsi’s government was not democratic and coupled with the prevailing social and political conditions in country, the composition of his advisory team was setup impromptu. Even Ironsi’s appointment shortchanged the eastern region when compared with other regions in federation.

As for promotion statistics, I say big shame to you. I have listed the number of Igbo officers in Nigerian armed force’s officer cadre as of January 15, 1966 and requested you to list Yoruba officers so that issue promotion could be settled. I hope you realize military is fundamentally regimental.

May I ask you which government placed the said moratorium on promotions in the military?
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by pazienza(m): 11:41pm On Sep 29, 2013
Katsumoto:

Not everyone speaks gorilla language, what appointments are you referring to?

Dont just provide generic information that no one understands. Supply a source or something.

Those were for ministerial appointments. I would advise you slow down on the use of vulgar language and insults,cos you don't have monopoly on them.
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by pazienza(m): 11:46pm On Sep 29, 2013
Again, for permanent secretary appointments, here we go:

Northern region- 8

Western region -5
Eastern region- 3
Mid west - 7
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by nku5: 12:08am On Sep 30, 2013
Katsumoto:

I wasn't agreeing with you. Igbo phobia was not whipped by anyone. If Zik, Orizu, Ironsi, and Okpara were eliminated then it would have been a noble coup. People would not have even minded the composition of the plotters if leaders from the East were targeted. The North and the East were in bed together. They had a lovers tiff and the Northern leaders are eliminated.

So you are saying that people were in agreement with the aims of the coup but turned against it because the perpetrators were igbo. Interesting.

Secondly there was anti-igbo propaganda flying round that a highlife record was waxed in honour of the coup, igbos were baking bread with images of ahmadu bello getting killed and a host of nonsense that nobody today has been able to substantiate. The closest I have seen is something somebody on NL tried to conjure up with utterly shameful results. If you have any evidence of this I'd honestly like to see it.

I posted a link to max siollun's book that did justice to why okpara escaped death. I believe you are familiar with the account.
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by pazienza(m): 12:10am On Sep 30, 2013
Katsumoto:

Very wrong analogy,i must say. Igbos had made no attempt to usurp the central government before the coup,and there were no anti-government speech from the igbos towards the central govt. I think, in the scenario you painted,the yoruba having tried through awo to usurp balewa should be exact substitute of the north of today, who had failed to usurp the GEJ govt through boko haram, and hence has laid the foundation for suspicion from the east, should a coup occur and GEJ killed,same reason people in the east refused to join the north and their wife in the fuel subsidy riots they wanted to turn into a revolution.

prior to the coup,there was simply no evidence to suggest that ndigbo wanted to overthrow the central govt, can we say the same for the yorubas,when awo their leader had already been jailed for treason?
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Katsumoto: 12:28am On Sep 30, 2013
pazienza:

Those were for ministerial appointments. I would advise you slow down on the use of vulgar language and insults,cos you don't have monopoly on them.

pazienza: Again, for permanent secretary appointments, here we go:

Northern region- 8

Western region -5
Eastern region- 3
Mid west - 7

Please provide your sources. No one is buying this.
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Katsumoto: 12:41am On Sep 30, 2013
DerideGull:

It is unfortunate you stuck with old habit of “copy and paste” and still receive idiotic accolades from dullards abound on NL.

In the #1 and #2 questions in the above junk you call post, you still show inherent traits that defy human decency. [b]Ironsi’s government was not democratic and coupled with the prevailing social and political conditions in country, the composition of his advisory team was setup impromptu. [/b]Even Ironsi’s appointment shortchanged the eastern region when compared with other regions in federation.

As for promotion statistics, I say big shame to you. I have listed the number of Igbo officers in Nigerian armed force’s officer cadre as of January 15, 1966 and requested you to list Yoruba officers so that issue promotion could be settled. I hope you realize military is fundamentally regimental.

May I ask you which government placed the said moratorium on promotions in the military?

1. Yeah, Ironsi's advisory team was set up impromptu and since the most competent administrators were Igbo, it made sense for the four man team to be all Igbo (sarcasm all the way). grin grin grin

2. The mood in the nation was very sombre. Coup plotters who were predominantly Igbo had not been tried, instead the Igbo head of government immediately lifted the moratorium on promotions and low and behold, 76% of those promoted were Igbo. Not only was the decision insensitive to the sensibilities of non-Igbos, it also smacked of nepotism. How does the lift you provided aid your case? Ndigbo contributed approximately a third of the combatant officer corp as at January 1966 (Robin Luckham - The Nigerian Military: A Sociological Analysis of Authority and Revolt 1960-67) but benefited from 76% of the promotions.

What do you mean by military is fundamental regimental? What are you on about? Don't for one second think that because you served in the military for a few years you automatically become an expert. As for your question, obviously it was the government that was overthrown.

Lastly, my copy and paste has been kicking your behind for the better part of 4 years. When are you going to start providing your own sources?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Katsumoto: 12:44am On Sep 30, 2013
nku5:

So you are saying that people were in agreement with the aims of the coup but turned against it because the perpetrators were igbo. Interesting.

Secondly there was anti-igbo propaganda flying round that a highlife record was waxed in honour of the coup, igbos were baking bread with images of ahmadu bello getting killed and a host of nonsense that nobody today has been able to substantiate. The closest I have seen is something somebody on NL tried to conjure up with utterly shameful results. If you have any evidence of this I'd honestly like to see it.

I posted a link to max siollun's book that did justice to why okpara escaped death. I believe you are familiar with the account.

Don't be disingenuous; take a read again. Was I making a point about the composition of the plotters or the composition of the victims? Why must one have to explain everything for you guys?

I am not sure what Max was getting at there but he clearly didn't look at the issue dispassionately. If units of armed men were sent to all the victims why was it only one very junior officer that was sent to Okpara? And whatever happened to Lieutenant Oguchi because he certainly didn't arrive at Okpara's house.

Katsumoto:

I wasn't agreeing with you. Igbo phobia was not whipped by anyone. If Zik, Orizu, Ironsi, and Okpara were eliminated then it would have been a noble coup. People would not have even minded the composition of the plotters if leaders from the East were targeted. The North and the East were in bed together. They had a lovers tiff and the Northern leaders are eliminated. Also, Yoruba lost sons and daughters to this lovers tiff even though the Yoruba weren't in bed with them. So how did the Igbo leaders who were part of the corrupt government manage to escape not only with their lives but their freedom as well?

That was the reason Nzeogwu, Ademoyega and Nwobosi blamed Ifeajuna, Okafor for the failure of the coup.
Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by Katsumoto: 12:51am On Sep 30, 2013
9jacrip: Honestly speaking, Katz is like a father who takes his time/patience to school his children over and over on the same subject matter even if it means breaking down the words or using an algorithm like logic.

I swear I do not have the half of the patience this man has - since page 1 he's still trying to make them get the point and he even supplied references to back his assertions up. Dayuumm!''

More grease to your elbow Katsumoto, I pray to have your type of patience when dealing with emotionally fvcked up debaters who are grabbing at last straws and even stooping so low to throw insults around just to evade analytical questions.

cool cool cool cool cool

What can one do? I consider it my Social Responsibility to ensure that those who aren't familiar with the subject aren't fed a bunch of lies. I really careless about those who refuse to educate themselves or just want to be plain evil and dumb.

1 Like

Re: INTERVIEW: Why We Killed Ironsi And Installed Gowon — Rtd Gen. Jeremiah Useni by nku5: 1:17am On Sep 30, 2013
Katsumoto:

Don't be disingenuous; take a read again. Was I making a point about the composition of the plotters or the composition of the victims? Why must one have to explain everything for you guys?

I am not sure what Max was getting at there but he clearly didn't look at the issue dispassionately. If units of armed men were sent to all the victims why was it only one very junior officer that was sent to Okpara? And whatever happened to Lieutenant Oguchi because he certainly didn't arrive at Okpara's house.

Guy who are you referring to as "you guys"? I find that a rather uncouth way to refer to a single person you are discussing with. Or are u referring to ny ethnic group?

That aside.

Why would u describe max siollun's take as "dispassionate". Gunmen arrived at okparas house and met him in the company of his guest, Archbishop Makarios the ruler of Cyprus and shrank away. Probably to avoid an international incident. Its funny how you skipped almost all my points and based your emphasis on a soft issue like the rank of the officer who was sent to Okpara's residence. You said there was no igbo phobia and I'm telling you the allegations levelled against igbos to justify allegations of an igbo conspiracy. Or are u now claiming that u are not aware of the despicable lies against igbos over their conduct after the coup?

Useni made mention of how they noticed that plateau officers were behind the murder of murtala muhammed and that when they noted the ethnicity of the people they were confused but with igbos they knew what to think.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Buhari Arriving At The Waterkloof Airforce Base For AU Summit (photos) / Dogara Has Declared War Against Buhari, Party, Says Pro-gbajabiamila Group / Fulani Group Buys APC Presidential Nomination Form For Goodluck Jonathan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.