Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,241 members, 7,860,548 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 12:25 PM

You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? - Travel (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (132289 Views)

Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Originalsly: 1:23am On Oct 05, 2013
Sticking to the topic.... hope for the best prepare for the worse. The best we have seen on TV.....this is more or less about the worse..which is rarely discussed. Not about comparing the US to Nigeria but for you to assess your own situation and the risk factors...having a Plan B...before making a decision. Adeaugustus laid it out very well earlier. Getting a green card is most important...without that too many doors are closed...in spite of how willing you are to work or school...let alone to be successful.Of all the talk about people being successful that is the one thing they all had ...a green card. The next big stumbling block is ego....drop it..because you will be eating humble pie...by choice or by force. Can you a ehmmm...32 year old be supervised by a 21 year old? Prepare your mind to start from the bottom and do menial jobs because that may be the only one you can get ...not saying to make a career out of it!...just the bottom rung on the ladder. You would be surprised to know the lowly jobs some successful people did. It's all about getting a foot in the door. Some have used up their savings, sold their assets, left their families ..migrated to the US with a bag of dreams...and have remained marooned there....suffering, unable to return...lonely...unable to support the ones they left behind...why?...because they considered the bright side only before migrating. I truly believe everyone should have the opportunity to travel to the US...if for nothing else...for the educational opportunities in whatever field you desire. Bottom line....look before you leap.

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Gnexplore: 1:29am On Oct 05, 2013
Godson201333: I am living in Europe and i am starting to believe that this racism thingy can be favorable at times.You see that is why Europe is very cleaned and organized than USA.I know there too and when i say very clean i mean very clean but the racism here is higher than USA.

It is just because we black people some of us are violent,dangerous and some do not even have focus.If you see people fighting here they are blacks,If they organize a party they are gonna fight at the end,many of us are just bad..

The rate of blacks going to school here too is very low,we just wanna make quick money.

You are right ... a good number of blacks dont have long term vision of life....quick money from cleaning and restaurant jobs .... and family and friends back home don't help....be4 one departs MM airport there is already long list of needs from family and friends .... unlike Chinese students.. that gets support from family till graduation... after which they go on to work in most silicon valley companies.... earning in few months what a cleaner earns in years....
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 1:32am On Oct 05, 2013
[/color][color=#000099]
any body who dies of hunger in naija is just too lazy to work, cmon from car wash to customer bringer in computer village...... naija is practically hustle zone....................i'm not saying ppl should stay in naija.. but they should learn hustling skills first.......

Gbam!!! True talk
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by linearity: 1:39am On Oct 05, 2013
jerryben12: 3. Life is toughER for Immigrants in America. From not having a SSN to get jobs, to people simply discriminating for your "accent". You will LEARN that America is not the least bit tolerant for immigrants. Especially if you come to places that are predominantly white. Unfortunately what I end up seeing Nigerians adopt is the "akata" way. A LOT of them end up trying to speak ebonics and they just sound silly and ridiculous. "nigggaz is tryna hoop yo". No. Your azz never hooped before when did you become a "niggga tryna hoop"?
---------
Not totally true. Your confidence will see you through. If you don't mix with the right people and portray yourself for who you are, you will not progress. Accent is not a ground for discrimination. Nigerians speak better than Indians but you see more Indians in Corporate America. My humble message come advise here is 'raise your confidence, mix with the right crowd, break silence and start conversations'. We are smart but we get intimidated with what we see.

There are some element of truth in what you are saying, your accent in combination of other things will constitute a drag back...If you look closely, all those India you mentioned are 1. Legal migrates, 2. They have at least their Masters or PhD....they have been able to set themselves apart that, their accents no longer defines them.

But if they were among a lower pool eg Bachelor holds, with the competitive market and many qualified applicants at this level, you will find greater discrimination, but you should not give up.

I work with a lot of India, they do mostly research and many of them in my industries have patents that benefits & add value to the Company, but when they open their mouth, they speak so badly that, everyone will put extra efforts in order to understand them, their write-ups, always makeup for that....Also as they climb leadership ladder, they tend to bring in more of their own to join in.

If Nigerians adopt this method, come over, study hard, get higher degree or certification or if you want to do business, move with the right crowds that will show you how to bid and win government contracts, or setup your own business...etc....you will make it.

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Tinyemeka(m): 1:43am On Oct 05, 2013
kpolli:
You couldn't survive in Nigeria yet you claim every Nigerian has hustling mentality; they can live anywhere.....

My brother that is the irony of that argument. How then is that person planning on making it abroad if not through criminal means?

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 1:51am On Oct 05, 2013
@ OP,
It pisses me off whenever I see fools abroad telling Nigerians how to face reality, dumb tards!!! Tell them also about uche who is working for AT & T and doing well, tell them!! If you failed at your dreams doesn't mean you should spread your own bitterness around trying to dissuade people from trying? I happen to know a lot of peeps who left for America and are doing very well in America,i even have a neighbor who thanks the Lord everyday for winning Visa lottery because he was a primary school teacher here but now he is raising his daughters in a Good society.
Guy get a life no one asked for your advise if your dreams died because you failed to set realistic goals that's your own sub story, stop wasting your time trying to tell others how bad America is oga.
Leave that to Prof Wole soyinka he is a million times smarter than you yet he has never come out to tell Nigerian this about the same America he lives in!!! Abeg go and continue serving your jail time in peace!!!!

Oga shut up and go back to Nigeria.. please no one should allow this fool deceive you o!!! America is a billion times better for you than Nigeria. From feeding, housing, security, and society that works!!! You van never compare the unemployment rate in Nigeria to that in America, graduates in Nigeria are worse off.

The OP probably came to America to get fast money and he got arrested and now he spends his time in prison writing crap on nairaland. America is the only country in the world where you can make it if you are disciplined, hard working, and focused even without a formal education.

America rewards creativity and hard work but punished mediocrity and laziness.

This is why a lot of Nigerians have problems in America, you need to realize the definition of success has a different meaning in Nigeria than it does to the rest of the world!!!

Nigerians believe they are successful only if they own a house, have latest cars. Have lots of money in the bank with lots of poor friends to show it off to.

This is the problem with Nigerians, they don't realize that when u have a 9-5 job that takes care of your bills, you can send your kids to good schools, drive a decent car and pay your taxes then u are okay!!!
OP you are a fool!!!

4 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by imperiouxx(m): 2:01am On Oct 05, 2013
lestat: @ OP,
It pisses me off whenever I see fools abroad telling Nigerians how to face reality, dumb tards!!! Tell them also about uche who is working for AT & T and doing well, tell them!! If you failed at your dreams doesn't mean you should spread your own bitterness around trying to dissuade people from trying? I happen to know a lot of peeps who left for America and are doing very well in America,i even have a neighbor who thanks the Lord everyday for winning Visa lottery because he was a primary school teacher here but now he is raising his daughters in a Good society.
Guy get a life no one asked for your advise if your dreams died because you failed to set realistic goals that's your own sub story, stop wasting your time trying to tell others how bad America is oga.
Leave that to Prof Wole soyinka he is a million times smarter than you yet he has never come out to tell Nigerian this about the same America he lives in!!! Abeg go and continue serving your jail time in peace!!!!

Oga shut up and go back to Nigeria.. please no one should allow this fool deceive you o!!! America is a billion times better for you than Nigeria. From feeding, housing, security, and society that works!!! You van never compare the unemployment rate in Nigeria to that in America, graduates in Nigeria are worse off.

The OP probably came to America to get fast money and he got arrested and now he spends his time in prison writing crap on nairaland. America is the only country in the world where you can make it if you are disciplined, hard working, and focused even without a formal education.

This is why a lot of Nigerians have problems in America, you need to realize the definition of success has a different meaning in Nigeria than it does to the rest of the world!!!

Nigerians believe they are successful only if they own a house, have latest cars. Have lots of money in the bank with lots of poor friends to show it off to.

This is the problem with Nigerians, they don't realize that when u have a 9-5 job that takes care of your bills, you can send your kids to good schools, drive a decent car and pay your taxes then u are okay!!!
OP you are a fool!!!

Believe me my bro, Nigeria has bred bunch of fuccking ingrates who one day will start querying God for their existence. Who is to be blamed for letting those ingrates into US if not the person who took garri from their lunch menu and changed it to burrito and burgers.

Had it been their broken a-sses are still hustling in Nigeria as it was for them before, they won't have any cause to say anything disparaging about the place they seek refuge.

I see reason why Nigerians deserve to be banned for thousand years from DV lottery or slapped in the face when ever they show up at US embassy. Bunch of squalid ingrates! angry

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 2:03am On Oct 05, 2013

OP you are a fool!!!

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Precioussilas10: 2:04am On Oct 05, 2013
ozo_emeka: If you’re extremely talented or intelligent, the US is probably the best place in the world to live. The system is stacked heavily to allow people of talent and advantage to rise to the top quickly.

The problem with the US is that everyone thinks they are of talent and advantage. As John Steinbeck famously said, the problem with poor Americans is that “they don’t believe they’re poor, but rather temporarily embarrassed millionaires.” It’s this culture of self-delusion that allows America to continue to innovate and churn out new industry more than anyone else in the world. But this shared delusion also unfortunately keeps perpetuating large social inequalities and the quality of life for the average citizen lower than most other developed countries. It’s the price we pay to maintain our growth and economic dominance

American people on average work more hours with less vacation, spend more time commuting every day, and are saddled with over $10,000 of debt. That’s a lot of time spent working and buying crap and little time or disposable income for relationships, activities or new experiences.

If someone puts your assertions into consideration,he/she is likely to give it up.SO leave talk 4 market women.in fact,just die all die it.Anybody wey wanto go make him go.if d tin favour am,fyn but if d tin no favouram,him come bak.END OF STORY.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Elmos: 2:09am On Oct 05, 2013
Pasca07: Hmmm funny thread @honey and ozo emeka... Have u ever been to nigeria and see how people are suffering?it is better to be poor in america than to be poor in nigeria .nigeria is a dead zone if you are poor.Stop fooling urself with all dis baseless observation because every reasonable youth is ready to leave dis useless country called nigeria.
There are lots and lots of wrong things in all these write-up, in as much as I know that yankee is not a bed of roses, it is not as bad as some of what people are saying here.The example of car wash is totally misleading, having a car wash here is a big business, I don't know how someone who invested huge amount of money into the business of car wash will be going home with only $2000 a month, that is practically not true, even those who work as washing hand should not go home with anything less than $1500 and for sure these are people without papers, mostly people from Mexico and some African countries not Nigerian, mostly people who come from non English speaking African countries, you rarely see Nigerian and Ghanian in this type of job.

Another guy talk about auction, with all respect, I know he knows nothing about auction, first and foremost, you need not pay any $200-$250 before you are allowed into the Auction, all you need is to properly registered and you are issued a license that give you the right to bid for vehicle placed for Auctioning.Your license could either be local or international, if you are local, you need to meet the requirement of your state division of motor vehicle rules, which are somehow cumbersome, and once you meet it, you can buy at the Auction and sell to anyone who may use it here in US or ship it to anywhere in the world. If your license is international, all you need to have is a registered company in your home country, like having any registered company in Nigeria, summit all the paper relating to the company and your national passport, once you get those stuff to the office, you are promptly registered.He equally said dealer rip off buyer from Nigeria, though I might not vouch for every dealer, but with all modesty, that is not true, if you are lucky, you can make about $1000 or more but severally the profit are far below that amount. Another impression he created or that some people hold onto is that, at Auction, vehicle are sold at give away prices, that is wrong, vehicle are sold at market prices. Also vehicle at Auction are not the rejected ones, but a place where people come together to sell their vehicle, individual bring their vehicle to sell at Auction, impounded vehicle, insurance vehicle, company vehicle, reposes vehicles all are up for sales at the Auction.

This country is a good place to be, there are lots of opportunities here, but it is not a place where you become millionaire overnight, you have to work for your money, no free cash anywhere, but if you have talent, this is the place for you, if you are intelligent, this place is good for you, here you don't need to know anyone to get government to pay for your tuition or getting loan to go to school, that your parents are poor will not stop you fro going to school of your choice if you are qualified, you need not to know anyone before you get loan to do genuine business, you need not to know anyone to get credit card, you need not to know anyone before you could asked for your right.This place is not right for you if you are coming here to do funny things, like fraud, you will not go far.

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Tinyemeka(m): 2:20am On Oct 05, 2013
Pasca07: If u are not well connected in nigeria there is nothing for u.
Big lie!
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 2:21am On Oct 05, 2013
You're so shady..............and i love it!!! lol

shymexx:

I thought you said I should stop quoting you, however, how come you're stuck on quoting my posts? Basically, I expected better from someone who claims to be living large in La-La land. Faking it till you make it, yes? grin And if you're going to tell porkies next time, make sure you can measure up to the lies you're telling. Initially, I wasn't going to post a comment on the thread, but I had to call you out for your lies. You lot need to stop selling fictitious dreams to Nigerians - it's counter-productive. Most of these people leave Nigeria with the hope of making it to the top easily across the Atlantic based on some of the lies you lot spew on here, only to end up creating nuisance, making babies like dogs, engaging in crimes and scrounging for help - on the other side. Thus contributing their own destruction to the already messed up black family in diaspora and tarnishing the image of Nigeria.

No place on this planet is rosy and selling dreams to people isn't the way forward. The most important thing in life is adaptability and your ability to make something out of any environment you find yourself. There are tons of successful people in Nigeria, who're definitely more comfy than over 90% of the Nigerian pikeys wandering around the world with no caravans.

Anyway, don't worry about me. I've lived all my life here and I know how to get it out here. This is my freaking town, we built this city!

I'm out, yo!!
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 2:22am On Oct 05, 2013
number 2 is ALL THIS THREAD IS TALKING ABOUT. NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS

X-factoria:

Thank you jare.....a lot of the comments here, especially from the OP are exaggerated or maybe he is generalizing based on his own experience. I see that he pasted close pictures of NYC which suggests to me that he lives in NYC. Living and surviving in NYC is harder, just like living in any big city in the world. The good thing about the US is that the opportunities are spread everywhere i.e. the opportunities are not skewed to the lofty states like NY or CA alone.

I have been here for 14 months on a student visa, studying for an MBA in a top school (will graduate in May 2014) and I already have a job offer for a 6 digit annual salary. It didn't come easy and it didn't happen like that for everyone but almost all the guys who came here to study, that I know, have got something doing and they are not watching plates or parking faeces. They have decent jobs! By the way, I am in Columbus City in the state of Ohio and I have met a lot of Nigerians here in academics, medicine and engineering who are doing really well. I joined a Yoruba Club 21 group and almost everyone there have been here for more than 20 years and they have decent jobs and income. Nevertheless, there are a few who fit into the lifestyles that the OP is trying to describe. They came here for the wrong reasons - to look for riches or wealth that fall from heaven!

I think the OP did a good job trying to point out the racism and the challenges here. My take on this are the following:

1. You should define your reasons for coming here before you do. If you are coming here without the hope of first getting education or any vocational training, you might end up frustrated. It means you have to be contented with working menial jobs (even if you have a degree from a Nigerian University) and be prepared to work as many of them to keep up if you have a family to support.

2. If you are coming here to look for wealth or riches, don't bother try to apply for visas. Its harder to be rich here than in Nigeria. One thing is sure though, you are sure to be liberated from poverty if you are not lazy. So if the reason for leaving Nigeria is just to have a decent live, and you are ready to work as hard as you do in Nigeria (and more if you have a family) and be law abiding, you will have no problem.

3. Know that a lot of African Americans are lazy, be prepared to live with their hostilities. Never try to stay in their neighborhood. You will get a better deal being friends to white folks that African Americans.

Good luck to anyone who will heed these advises.

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 2:28am On Oct 05, 2013
THANK YOU- COMMON SENSE

The summary of this thread:

Nigerians make it anywhere in the world. So do people of other Nations - americans etc. Going to America without a plan may land you in situations you did not prepare of because TV sells a one-sided picture of America.

You would think after this summary EVERYBODY will READ. Watch out for more people making comments like
"So you are saying Nigeria is better "
"Because you are facing difficulty doesn't mean people don't succeed"
"If it is too hard for you come to Nigeria"
"I agree with some of the OPs point but Nigerians can make it anywhere, I know this because I have an MD, PhD, MBA, MPH, MSC, etc"

Even though I have made a 2 line summary. Watch more stupiid comments.

kaka22: I think that Op's topic is useful for intending migrants... From what I can deduce from the topic and all what emeka said, USA may not be as rosy as most of us thought it would be. It should be noted Emeka took cognisance of the fact that some Nigerians are succeeding in the states while others are not due to lack of preparation,focus et cetera. What caused the arguments, insults was the fact that most people did not read in between the line... Most Nigerians ordinarily don't like people telling/advising them not to do what they have planned to do or painting a picture that is different from what they have in mind... Please let's try and read in between the line. Let's also have spirit of tolerance... My own opinion
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 2:31am On Oct 05, 2013
If you spoke like this before we would have nailed your point on the head. 10 pages later and you want to play the father figure, with a deep rooted sense of christianity?
You don't know me to diagnose "a problem with me"

Well, I agree humility is key.

Lucasbalo: . That's the problem with you. Like I said in my earlier post. I came to US when I was barely 18 years old on student visa by the grace of God and the willing assistance of my parents. I am in my mid thirties now. When I was your age , I thought I knew everything . But people much older and wiser called me to bahave. I am sure glad for that now. I am married with 3 beautiful daughters. All I am telling you is that humility will help you through your sojourn in life. Don't ever think you have Solomonic wisdom. Nobody does. I don't have anything against you personally. It's just your condescending attitude towards people that disagree with you. No animose against you on my part. I know how I was at 21, almost get kicked out of college and my student visa almost revoked. Thank God I changed because my life could have been ruined. I am not patronizing you but telling you reality of life especially this our violent society we call home. Peace and good luck to you. Wishing the best in all your undertakings in life. Once again , I have nothing against you because of my deep faith.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 2:35am On Oct 05, 2013
Available to answer questions and give honest advice about living in America
The true picture from a Nigerian American

https://www.nairaland.com/1465852/ask-me-questions-americastraight-talk
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by biafranqueen: 2:37am On Oct 05, 2013
prince_onx:

99% of what you just spill out your trap is BS! You obviously have never been to an auction. Send me a pm and I will take you to auctions where they don't have cars older than 5yrs or less than $5,000
Get your facts str8 and stop blabbing on www! If you think American is that bad why not try places like Iraq or Afganistan or better still go back home (Nigeria) or are you homeless?
Don't mind him my husbands side hustle is auctions and that is what started our business in Nigeria and is bringing us home.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 2:39am On Oct 05, 2013
You would have a point IF, and ONLY IF this thread IS comparing America to Nigeria

UNFORTUNATELY, it is NOT. So all your rants were extremely impertinent.

OP you are a fool!!!

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by biafranqueen: 2:40am On Oct 05, 2013
ozo_emeka: THANK YOU- COMMON SENSE

The summary of this thread:

Nigerians make it anywhere in the world. So do people of other Nations - americans etc. Going to America without a plan may land you in situations you did not prepare of because TV sells a one-sided picture of America.

You would think after this summary EVERYBODY will READ. Watch out for more people making comments like
"So you are saying Nigeria is better "
"Because you are facing difficulty doesn't mean people don't succeed"
"If it is too hard for you come to Nigeria"
"I agree with some of the OPs point but Nigerians can make it anywhere, I know this because I have an MD, PhD, MBA, MPH, MSC, etc"

Even though I have made a 2 line summary. Watch more stupiid comments.

Like you stated if you have no strategy or goals in place you will not make it in Nigeria or America.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 2:40am On Oct 05, 2013
So you just skipped READING the first line of what YOU QUOTED? Amazing

Precioussilas10: If someone puts your assertions into consideration,he/she is likely to give it up.SO leave talk 4 market women.in fact,just die all die it.Anybody wey wanto go make him go.if d tin favour am,fyn but if d tin no favouram,him come bak.END OF STORY.

ozo_emeka: ozo_emeka: If you’re extremely talented or intelligent, the US is probably the best place in the world to live. The system is stacked heavily to allow people of talent and advantage to rise to the top quickly.

The problem with the US is that everyone thinks they are of talent and advantage. As John Steinbeck famously said, the problem with poor Americans is that “they don’t believe they’re poor, but rather temporarily embarrassed millionaires.” It’s this culture of self-delusion that allows America to continue to innovate and churn out new industry more than anyone else in the world. But this shared delusion also unfortunately keeps perpetuating large social inequalities and the quality of life for the average citizen lower than most other developed countries. It’s the price we pay to maintain our growth and economic dominance

American people on average work more hours with less vacation, spend more time commuting every day, and are saddled with over $10,000 of debt. That’s a lot of time spent working and buying crap and little time or disposable income for relationships, activities or new experiences.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by biafranqueen: 2:43am On Oct 05, 2013
babyosisi: Available to answer questions and give honest advice about living in America
The true picture from a Nigerian American

https://www.nairaland.com/1465852/ask-me-questions-americastraight-talk
Are you really advising youths to get married for greencard as a strategy shocked embarassed. So what if somebody from 9ja does that to your daughter? I know your just trying to help honey but my experience has shown that it usually backfires and creates a mess of everyone's life especially children, be careful biko

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by BlueMagic2(m): 2:47am On Oct 05, 2013
Allohrandy: Those are black Areas. You hardly see whites living in those streets. cities like Oakland, Baltimore, DC, ATL, Bronx NY and detriot has a very high black population. The fact is whites are well off than blacks in America because of discrimination and racism. The black unemployment rate is twice that of whites. There are more black men in prisons than they are in colleges. Infact 1 out of 7 black men in America is either in jail or has been in prison. The America system has failed black people in US and proverty rate among blacks is higher than any other race. Infact a white man with a criminal record has a higher chance of getting a job than a black man with a college degree because White still control US economy and they are very few black millioniares in American. most of the black millioniares are either in sports or entertaiment and you hardly see black American millioniares in wall street. 50 years after Martin Luther King died there is still racism in America

i want to address this by 1st saying "only failures blame everybody else but themselves for failing" If blacks stopped having kids with no fathers, get an education, stop solely depending on hand outs from govt, stop blaming the white man for their failures, stop buying $300 jordan shoes they can't afford, stop gangbanging, get their priorities straight, pull up their pants, stop clowning, start governing themselves better, then maybe just maybe they will stand a better chance.

America just like anywhere else is what u make of it. Like everywhere else u have the beautiful side & the ugly side. But life is all about making ur life better. If some1 living in Ajegunle could make it to lekki, what stops any1 from getting out of the ghetto & live in the surburbs. Most immigrants moved to America because they believe that life offers a better opportunity here than anywhere else. There's nothing wrong with having small beginnings. The strongest trees started as seedlings. U might start up as a janitor & work ur way to the top of the company. I don't know about anywhere else but it happens here in America. I dont know where y'all get the opinion Nigerians out here work low end jobs. Most Nigerians i know dont do that, even if they are doing that believe me its temporary cos they got bigger dreams. We are Nigerians, Y'all keep forgetting that. We make $#!t happen. In a survey in Houston Nigerians were adjudged to be the most educated minority.

Having said this, whomever wrote this article does or may not live in America but pulled some pictures of the internet. U have a lot of white folks also living in Trailer park homes, doing drugs and also living off of govt assistance.

Racism is never going away here or anywhere else same as tribalism & nepotism will never go away in Nigeria. Naturally people with different ideology, culture,tradition, race, tribe etc will find it hard to get along. On the issue of racism sometimes i think blacks are more rasicist than whites. If only blacks ruled America, foreigners will never be allowed into the country & America will never be as great as it is. I mean are blacks not ruling Africa.

LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by here: 2:48am On Oct 05, 2013
I have read alot about traveling and agree its to be done with caution and that I assume is the purpose of this thread even though I think op has a mindset born out of his experience.That doesnt mean others didnt have better.
Every sincere immigrant will tell you "migrating is for our children".
Since we are considering Nigeria,I like to ask,do you know an average Cleaner earns $17 CAD and can do 40hrs/wk.In certain province can get back part of his tax paid.Can do two odd jobs and dnt have to buy houses in America but can return his savings to Nigeria to build or setup small business and come home later?
If s/he were to be in Nigeria what are his chances of owning a home?In Abuja now you as a civil servant can get a mortgage of min 10-15Million after repaying in 25-35yrs you have repayed 20-32Million so who says mortg isnt expensive everywhere.I can even tell you,you can opt for neigbourhoods with lower rates should ur mortg rates go higher and you have prob financing.
I like to conclude by saying this,while Asians have established a way of helping each other we are busy creating threads about how not to come.At some point you have to realize Nigerians need to be told what they can do and not what they cannot.$3500 monthly in a society where if you dnt blow ur credit can spend 2000 on rent,bills and child education and the system even gives you a support if your income is lower(for canada) and you return 1500 to build or invest in Nigeria is way far more than 40K Naira you earn in Nigeria as a regular staff under a private employer or 60k offered as customer service rep.Thats if yours is not 15k.
Look at the example someone gave a doctor who has a hosp in Abuja wanting to come home.Hw many doctors in Nigeria has capital to setup an hospital at Osun state to talk of Abuja?
Travel if you have all the info you need and invest at home people and also understand you might have a career change but have a goal
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Lucasbalo(m): 2:56am On Oct 05, 2013
ozo_emeka: If you spoke like this before we would have nailed your point on the head. 10 pages later and you want to play the father figure, with a deep rooted sense of christianity?
You don't know me to diagnose "a problem with me"

Well, I agree humility is key.

. You are right . I guess something about your post just got to me. You can look up my postings before all our encounters. This is very unlike me. Something must have pushed my button. To be candid, my significant other would be disappointed if she sees all what transpired between you and I. Will surprise you with what I am about to say. I even like your aggressive no take prisoner attitude . I am like that in some way. I was born and raised in Lagos Island and that was how we grew up. Like I said before, no animose against you and I sincerely apologize for my utterances. Hope you accept it in good faith. Peace to you.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by oluwaseunsewe: 2:59am On Oct 05, 2013
This is the cult of rhetoric behind the phrase, “greatest country in the world.” Americans have so much more than many around the globe. Americans have earned this. Americans have fought for this. Patriotism is acknowledging that the United States is top dog.when you keep complaning abt america then you personally should check your self, i have lived in the united state for eleven yrs, i became a us citizen 6 yrs ago, i have my own business and i am worth above a million dollars, pls tell me if i was in nigeria will i have gotten all this in 11 yrs with out been a politician, the fact remains that if you not hard working you can never never make it in america, if you cant afford it dont buy it, thats the trick abt this country, the fact its not wrking for you does nt make you a failure, wit out a good credit you cant make it here, when you build ur credit and you not trying to impress any one you will realise how grate this country,with a us passport you can travel to most contries in the world with out a visa tell me can you do the same with a nigeria passport, my advise is nigeria has never had any thing to offer its citizens, SO PLS STOP GIVING A FALSE IMPRESION ABT THIS GREAT COUNTRY,GOD BLESS AMERICA...

5 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by sammy102(m): 3:00am On Oct 05, 2013
I came, I saw and I conquer, pls do not discourage anybody from coming to d states.

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 3:05am On Oct 05, 2013
She is going the route of EMOTIONALISM. Versus OFFERING concrete tangible help like HEY LOOK UP SCHOLARSHIPS FOR SCIENCE INCLINED FOLKS, or CALL UP THE SCHOOL, she is suggesting they commit a crime (and if they get caught end their dreams) because it SOUNDS BETTER than the "picture" I painted. SMH

biafranqueen: Are you really advising youths to get married for greencard as a strategy shocked embarassed. So what if somebody from 9ja does that to your daughter? I know your just trying to help honey but my experience has shown that it usually backfires and creates a mess of everyone's life especially children, be careful biko

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Deschil: 3:17am On Oct 05, 2013
Afam, what will you gain from deceiving people? Shame ON YOU!
Afam4eva:
Things have definitely gotten better since Martin Luther King and they will keep getting better for Black people in America. The fact that you have a black president does not give credence to the gargantuan racism that you have painted. Granted that there is racism in America just like everywhere in the world including Nigeria, i think the minority population have been given the opportunity to succeed through affirmative action and other policies and some have taken that opportunity. It will take a very long time to see a massive effect of these policies cos blacks have been dealt a deadly blow in the past.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 3:20am On Oct 05, 2013
Mr Millionaire I am an uber patriot. Some of our brightest minds like Larry Summers critiques this "our" beloved country USA.
2. This thread does not COMPARE nigeria to america, it highlights some truths that may be missing from TV Nigerians watch

oluwaseunsewe: This is the cult of rhetoric behind the phrase, “greatest country in the world.” Americans have so much more than many around the globe. Americans have earned this. Americans have fought for this. Patriotism is acknowledging that the United States is top dog.when you keep complaning abt america then you personally should check your self, i have lived in the united state for eleven yrs, i became a us citizen 6 yrs ago, i have my own business and i am worth above a million dollars, pls tell me if i was in nigeria will i have gotten all this in 11 yrs with out been a politician, the fact remains that if you not hard working you can never never make it in america, if you cant afford it dont buy it, thats the trick abt this country, the fact its not wrking for you does nt make you a failure, wit out a good credit you cant make it here, when you build ur credit and you not trying to impress any one you will realise how grate this country,with a us passport you can travel to most contries in the world with out a visa tell me can you do the same with a nigeria passport, my advise is nigeria has never had any thing to offer its citizens, SO PLS STOP GIVING A FALSE IMPRESION ABT THIS GREAT COUNTRY,GOD BLESS AMERICA...
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by oluwaseunsewe: 3:22am On Oct 05, 2013
This are the legal ways to get a GREEN CARD.There are four basic employment-related ways to obtain a green card, including:
•Green Card through a job offer: An which an individual can apply for a green card after receiving a formal offer to work in the United States.
•Green Card through investment: An individual establishes a business venture that creates new jobs in the U.S.
•Green Card through self-petition: Distinguished individuals with exceptional abilities, or specific individuals who are granted a National Interest Waiver, can file a green card for themselves.
•Special Category Green Card: This category include workers in the established special immigrant categories, such as broadcasters, international employees, and religious workers, for example.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (35) (Reply)

Illegal Immigrant: My Near Death And Terrible Experience In Malaysia / I Am Traveling From Asaba To Onitsha Today, This Is How Prepared I Am (Photos) / Nigerians In Sweden, How Is The Economy And Life Generally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.