Stats: 3,155,741 members, 7,827,733 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (131849 Views)

Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Afam4eva(m): 4:23pm On Sep 29, 2013
honey: and after doing big jobs im america....... bills, heap of bills, mortgages, high taxes, and a stockpile of debt........ the difference btw naija and yankee hustle is that naija hustle is cummulative, if you keep up the hardwork, you will rise through the ranks....... but in yanks as an immigrant you are stuck to one caste of the society, one level of income, one level of living.........
As far as you don't go hungry after paying all the payables that you'll enjoy then it's ok. Nigerians won't mind paying as long as they have OK jobs and there are basic ameinities(Electricity, water, good roads, medicare etc).

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Sep 29, 2013
Afam4eva:
As far as you don't go hungry after paying all the payables that you'll enjoy then it's ok. Nigerians won't mind paying as long as they have OK jobs and there are basic ameinities(Electricity, water, good roads, medicare etc).
gullible nigerians wont mind paying [imagind having a $1200 debt monthly, which keeps growing]........... i will always say that america is not the best place to hustle.................why do immigrants never go beyond a particular stage?

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Afam4eva(m): 4:36pm On Sep 29, 2013
honey: gullible nigerians wont mind paying [imagind having a $1200 debt monthly, which keeps growing]........... i will always say that america is not the best place to hustle.................why do immigrants never go beyond a particular stage?
Speak about the immigrants you know. Some Immigrants are having it good in America and some others, not so good. The most important thing is that, they seem to be relatively better off than those they left behind, most of the time.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Sep 29, 2013
Afam4eva:
Speak about the immigrants you know. Some Immigrants are having it good in America and some others, not so good. The most important thing is that, they seem to be relatively better off than those they left behind, most of the time.
except a nigerian was rich b4 migrating then i stand to be not corrected that all immigrants are living below normal [i thought were an NIN supporter]

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Afam4eva(m): 4:45pm On Sep 29, 2013
honey: except a nigerian was rich b4 migrating then i stand to be not corrected that all immigrants are living below normal [i thought were an NIN supporter]
How many Nigerians were rich before migrating. I guess very few except for those that went there to get an education or for a visit. And the bolded comment is very ignorant. You couldn't even say "most". Do you have a source to back up such ignorant assertion?

I'm not a NIN supporter, neither i'm i the opposite. I only involved myself in debates where people tend to look down on Nigerians in Nigeria.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Sep 29, 2013
Afam4eva:
How many Nigerians were rich before migrating. I guess very few except for those that went there to get an education or for a visit. And the bolded comment is very ignorant. You couldn't even say "most". Do you have a source to back up such ignorant assertion?

I'm not a NIN supporter, neither i'm i the opposite. I only involved myself in debates where people tend to look down on Nigerians in Nigeria.
if the average american clamours for food stamp, if the average american complains of unemployment every now and then, if the average american fight for austerity measures.... then how do you evaluate the life of an average immigrant........................... if the top is crumbling ,do you expect the foundatiom to be stable?

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Afam4eva(m): 4:55pm On Sep 29, 2013
honey: if the average american clamours for food stamp, if the average american complains of unemployment every now and then, if the average american fight for austerity measures.... then how do you evaluate the life of an average immigrant........................... if the top is crumbling ,do you expect the foundatiom to be stable?
You made an assertion about ALL Nigerians abroad living below normal in American and i want you to provide proof or accept that you goofed on that one. What has that one got to do with some Americans clamoring for food stamps.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by claremont(m): 4:55pm On Sep 29, 2013
donsax:
I guess some people aborad are really selfish, someone will open a thread..".America is racist and full of ghetto" Europe has finished recession all over, Canada is too cold, Australia is costly New zealand is too far, no job in S.A, tax is high in uk, middle east pay are peanuts, china is over populated, japan is earthquake home, South korea s unrest because of north Korea, south America are full of crimes, india is no go area...
Where the f.uc.k then do you want them to migrate to since they can't stay home and all these countries are bad..I guess you want them to migrate to newly discovered habitat MARS?

Nice and very informative thread here, it should be on the front page.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 4:56pm On Sep 29, 2013
Ok. Not fair if that is PER MONTH. Let's break it down in America. You did not factor differences in cost of living

The salary YEARLY of an OWNER of a CARWASH, say in Dakota (not the car wash guy, the owner) is $24,000 which is $2000 a month. When you take away taxes which are MANDATORY, he comes home with $1487.72 a month which brings his ACTUAL yearly earnings to $17852.64
This is working 40 hours a week

Now the average price of a home in Dakota is $129,700 (that is a very average home) if he rents he will pay $880 a month for a house in a barely decent neighborhood, for $600 he will live in the GHETTO. For $1500 he can live in a "good" neighborhood and from his pay check he can't even afford this.

So let's say he chooses $880 ($1487.72-$880 = $607.72). He gets a haircut say every 2 weeks (mind you people here do all kinds of things to their hair because HAIRCUTS are EXPENSIVE, a regular haircut is $15). The average hair cut in Dakota is $13.81. I will assume this guy REFUSES to cut his hair.

So he has $607.72 he pays his light bills, water bills, sewer bills. $60 for heat/AC, $70 for electric, $25 for sewer, and $60 for water = $215. (the ACTUAL average in Dakota is $225 so you see I am generou here). Now he has $392.72. Then he feeds, let's say he MANAGES and buys FOR THE ENTIRE MONTH:
1 Loaf of Fresh White Bread (500g) $1.97,
1 Milk (half gallon) - $2.22,
1 crate of eggs $1.54
Chicken Breasts (Boneless, Skinless), (1kg) $4.39
Oil Canola $3.61
Total : $13.73
Plus Taxes on FOOD: 4% (in some states the tax is as high as 10%)
ACTUAL TOTAL: $14.28
Balance: $378.44.
He doesn't own a car and he will pay for the bus to get to work $3.60 daily pass and so for the month $111.60
Balance: $266.84
He doesn't own a phone (that would be $180 for an OLD phone plus $50 a month for the basic plan)
Then he will wear clothes, buy toothpaste ,toothbrush, toilet tissues, soap NOTHING fancy at all. Will buy a bed those cost from $900, $1299 CLEARLY he can't afford this so he will FINANCE and borrow and pay on commission he has to BUY A BED)

At the end of his expenses he has a NEGATIVE balance and is in debt. Which Car wash boy in Nigeria will be in debt?

Afam4eva:
They may not earn as much as banker and are not supposed to but they're better than their fellow car wash person in Nigeria. I know a car wash guy that makes 5k monthly. Now, what's that going to do for his life. Imagine putting the same car washing energy and expertise abroad.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Afam4eva(m): 5:02pm On Sep 29, 2013
ozo_emeka: Ok. Not fair if that is PER MONTH. Let's break it down in America. You did not factor differences in cost of living

The salary YEARLY of an OWNER of a CARWASH, say in Dakota (not the car wash guy, the owner) is $24,000 which is $2000 a month. When you take away taxes which are MANDATORY, he comes home with $1487.72 a month which brings his ACTUAL yearly earnings to $17852.64
This is working 40 hours a week

Now the average price of a home in Dakota is $129,700 (that is a very average home) if he rents he will pay $880 a month for a house in a barely decent neighborhood, for $600 he will live in the GHETTO. For $1500 he can live in a "good" neighborhood and from his pay check he can't even afford this.

So let's say he chooses $880 ($1487.72-$880 = $607.72). He gets a haircut say every 2 weeks (mind you people here do all kinds of things to their hair because HAIRCUTS are EXPENSIVE, a regular haircut is $15). The average hair cut in Dakota is $13.81. I will assume this guy REFUSES to cut his hair.

So he has $607.72 he pays his light bills, water bills, sewer bills. $60 for heat/AC, $70 for electric, $25 for sewer, and $60 for water = $215. (the ACTUAL average in Dakota is $225 so you see I am generou here). Now he has $392.72. Then he feeds, let's say he MANAGES and buys FOR THE ENTIRE MONTH:
1 crate of eggs $1.54
Oil Canola $3.61
Total : $13.73
Plus Taxes on FOOD: 4% (in some states the tax is as high as 10%)
ACTUAL TOTAL: $14.28
Balance: $378.44.
He doesn't own a car and he will pay for the bus to get to work $3.60 daily pass and so for the month $111.60
Balance: $266.84
He doesn't own a phone (that would be $180 for an OLD phone plus $50 a month for the basic plan)
Then he will wear clothes, buy toothpaste ,toothbrush, toilet tissues, soap NOTHING fancy at all. Will buy a bed those cost from $900, $1299 CLEARLY he can't afford this so he will FINANCE and borrow and pay on commission he has to BUY A BED)

At the end of his expenses he has a NEGATIVE balance and is in debt. Which Car wash boy in Nigeria will be in debt?

A car washerman in Nigeria probably eats agege bread and akara everyday and does not have the luxury of eating what his mate in America eats or live where his mates elsewhere live. Some of them squat with people whilw those that are lucky live in run down face-me-i-slap-you apartment where Spyrogira is used as lawn and where diseases are distributted evenly which takes them to hospital chemist several times in a year and they could probably die before they clock 60 and you'll start hearing people saying stuff like "I hear say baba iyabo don die. And i see the man yesterday when im dey laugh. Im no be like person wey dey sick". Not knowing that poverty and frustration gave the man an ultimatum which he was unable to meet up with. Abeg, there's no basis for comparism. The poverty in Nigeria can only stop if poverty decides to retire but as long as poverty is hale and hearty, people will keep running to more advanced countries.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Sep 29, 2013
Afam4eva:
You made an assertion about ALL Nigerians abroad living below normal in American and i want you to provide proof or accept that you goofed on that one. What has that one got to do with some Americans clamoring for food stamps.
before i rest my case........ the economy of the western world is not faring better, and so the citizens of these have to be given utmost priority where oppurtinities arise, and theoretically immigrants are finding it hard [just for the record, i'm 15yrs old]

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Afam4eva(m): 5:06pm On Sep 29, 2013
honey: before i rest my case........ the economy of the western world is not faring better, and so the citizens of these have to be given utmost priority where oppurtinities arise, and theoretically immigrants are finding it hard [just for the record, i'm 15yrs old]
You mean Nigeria is faring better than the western world?

And why are you telling me that you're 15 year old. You should have known that when you were making statements that even 20 something year olds shouldn't be making.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Sep 29, 2013
Afam4eva:
You mean Nigeria is faring better than the western world?

And why are you telling me that you're 15 year old. You should have known that when you were making statements that even 20 something year olds shouldn't be making.
if nigeria develops basic amenities, then i see no difference.......... and ozo emeka didnt add insurance, especially health insurance or else the dakota car wash manager would die of common cold......

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by lacreame: 5:41pm On Sep 29, 2013
ozo emeka, how long have you stayed in nigeria?
did you school here?
have you ever worked here?
Did u stay in a rental apartment when you came over?

if no, then pls do not talk like you know what its like to be a nigerian...

as for peeps that want to leave this country pls do, my relatives there are making it. its not abt your location, if you are hard working and smart you will succeed.
unlike naija where you struggle everyday and sometimes dont see any light at d end of the tunnel, over there you can grow and definitely get paid for your hardwork cs there is less corruption. if its that bad over there then let them cm home, , they are there saying dont come over.lok

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Sep 29, 2013
la_creame: ozo emeka, how long have you stayed in nigeria?
did you school here?

as for peeps that want to leave this country pls do, my relatives there are making it. its not abt your location, if you are hard working and smart you will succeed.
unlike naija where you struggle everyday and sometimes dont see any light at
we were having a healthy debate........... and ozo emeka is only trying to be a positive antagonist in the sense that , it is better to see things as bad and they later turn out good, than to see things as rosy, only to discover thorn and thistles......

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Yvete(f): 5:50pm On Sep 29, 2013

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Pasca07: 5:52pm On Sep 29, 2013
Hmmm funny thread @honey and ozo emeka... Have u ever been to nigeria and see how people are suffering?it is better to be poor in america than to be poor in nigeria .nigeria is a dead zone if you are poor.Stop fooling urself with all dis baseless observation because every reasonable youth is ready to leave dis useless country called nigeria.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Sep 29, 2013
Yvete: What the heck is a "white or black neighborhood"? ... so what if ones' neighbors are mostly "black"? African-Americans may have a victim mentality and looking at the world through their rear-view, but you can't qualify Nigerians by African-American standards. We are different in everything except skin color. if you think there are no ghetto-ratchet-hood white people, ask Eminem! grin

If we're writing about affluence, academic accomplishment and/or stability, Nigerians do pretty well.
this a debate and a classical NIN Vs NID e-warfare........... read my post above yours , and see the reason behind this thread.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Sep 29, 2013
Pasca07: Hmmm funny thread @honey and ozo emeka... Have u ever been to nigeria and see how people are suffering?it is better to be poor in america than to be poor in nigeria .nigeria is a dead zone if you are poor.Stop fooling urself with all dis baseless observation because every reasonable youth is ready to leave dis useless country called nigeria.
the purpose of this thread is just to say that america is not a bed of roses, and that you have extra- hussle, if you are ready to stay alive.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Pasca07: 6:09pm On Sep 29, 2013
@honey almost high percentage of nigerians are hard working is just that hard work does not pay in naija.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by lacreame: 6:14pm On Sep 29, 2013
honey: we were having a healthy debate........... and ozo emeka is only trying to be a positive antagonist in the sense that , it is better to see things as bad and they later turn out good, than to see things as rosy, only to discover thorn and thistles......

why cant they see things as good and later turn out better?
why so pessimistic?
leaving a country as dead as nigeria legally should not be seen as bad
they are better opportunities there, and a better shot at growing
stop scaring people, if they wanna travel let them and if they dont make it they can come home.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by dustydee: 6:14pm On Sep 29, 2013
Godson201333: I am living in Europe and i am starting to believe that this racism thingy can be favorable at times.You see that is why Europe is very cleaned and organized than USA.I know there too and when i say very clean i mean very clean but the racism here is higher than USA.

It is just because we black people some of us are violent,dangerous and some do not even have focus.If you see people fighting here they are blacks,If they organize a party they are gonna fight at the end,many of us are just bad..

The rate of blacks going to school here too is very low,we just wanna make quick money.
My Spanish colleague told me it is only Africans that fight in Spain. I was so angry. . . He went further to say if someone wants to fight him now he wouldn't know how to defend himself cos he does not know how to fight. That got me thinking - why do Africans settle conflicts through fight.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by lacreame: 6:18pm On Sep 29, 2013
honey: the purpose of this thread is just to say that america is not a bed of roses, and that you have extra- hussle, if you are ready to stay alive.

there is no place that can be called a bed of roses, but real nigerians are used to struggling.
we struggle almost everyday,if we can survive in naija with everything going on then america is too small a challenge.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Sep 29, 2013
la_creame:

there is no place that can be called a bed of roses, but real nigerians are used to struggling.
we struggle almost everyday,if we can survive in naija with everything going on then america is too small a challenge.
oya take this hug *gives her a hug* manage this kiss *gives her a slight peck*......... and we're all settled.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by lacreame: 6:30pm On Sep 29, 2013
honey: oya take this hug *gives her a hug* manage this kiss *gives her a slight peck*......... and we're all settled.
*smiles* but we were never fighting na
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 6:44pm On Sep 29, 2013
L O L
"doing well" , what exactly do they "do"?

yes I lived in Nigeria for more than 12 years, in those we have lived in a one bedroom, with people, rented, in a duplex, in a bungalow and everything between so I KNOW NIGERIA.

@Afam how Tell me why the car wash boy here won't be frustrated. Mind you all the people he has "debt" with AUTOMATICALLY withdraw from his paycheck before he even sees it. So they claim he makes about 1500 a month YET he sees NOTHING!

Don't even get me started on insurance, without Health Insurance, Good Luck!

How is the Car wash driver "eating like his fellow americans"?? Did you read that LIST

He is buying
1 crate of eggs $1.54
Oil Canola $3.61

FOR the month, aka 30 days. In Nigeria, the Car wash man can afford to eat "mama put" of at least N200 a day in a month that's N6000 i.e $40
If The SAME car wash TRIES that in America he won't even see rent money for the month. For what the car wash in Nigeria eats for N200 the Car wash man in america will have to pay $14 to EAT the SAME food. N200 is $1.25 and is NOT enough to buy you more than 1 bag of chips. A meal in Mcdonalds the CHEAPEST place to eat, is $6.25 if the car wash guy eats burger (which is not filling btw) everyday and eats ONLY that , then he will spend $190 a month on feeding.

His "american" counterparts are eating in restaurants, going to see movies, taking vacations etc . His pay check CAN NOT afford that.

The price of a BUS trip (ex. Lagos to Enugu) will cost you N15,000 in America. MEANWHILE in Nigeria ekene dili chukwu will take you there for less than N5000

Are you getting the cost of living? So although when you look at the FIGURES it looks WAY BIGGER when you change it to Naira, cost of Living is ridiculously high.

Those who live in NY? Ask them, a bottle of water is almost $8 (AT THE CHEAP PLACES) .. That means to buy a small bottle of water is N1500 ON THE STREET OF LAGOS

Afam4eva:
They may not earn as much as banker and are not supposed to but they're better than their fellow car wash person in Nigeria. I know a car wash guy that makes 5k monthly. Now, what's that going to do for his life. Imagine putting the same car washing energy and expertise abroad.

Afam4eva:
la_creame: ozo emeka, how long have you stayed in nigeria?
did you school here?

unlike naija where you struggle everyday and sometimes dont see any light at d end of the tunnel, over there you can grow and definitely get paid for your hardwork cs there is less corruption. if its that bad over there then let them cm home, , they are there saying dont come over.lok

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 6:50pm On Sep 29, 2013
I am 21. I do well. I am only saying that THOSE people you know in Potomac MD (which is NOT as packed with Nigerians as you make it sound) did not hop from Nigeria to America and boom live there!

Ask them how long it took them? Some of them had money from Nigeria, and PLANNED/eased their way into america after several years of visiting. Who is asking you to "explain" where you are from? Your skin is black therefore they think you are BLACK!
There are affluent Black people. They live in DC, VA and some other parts. Ask your so-called nigerians making it if their "dreams" of what america was happened to EVER be the SAME thing

Again, the point here is for people to make REALISTIC plans and ideas when Planning to move to the US.

Yvete: What the heck is a "white or black neighborhood"? ... so what if ones' neighbors are mostly "black"? Is racial demography indicative of success - if they are white? African-Americans may have a victim mentality and looking at the world through their rear-view, but you can't qualify Nigerians by African-American standards. We are different in everything except skin color. if you think there are no ghetto-ratchet-hood white people, ask Eminem! grin

If we're writing about affluence, academic accomplishment and/or stability, Nigerians do pretty well. Affluent neighborhoods like Potomac, MD, Woodlands, TX, are packed with Nigerians and the Nigerians I know (legal and illegal), have their lives put together .... even those with low paying jobs, don't know about you. undecided If you've got a negative mindset, you will never be successful anywhere.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 6:51pm On Sep 29, 2013
If you’re extremely talented or intelligent, the US is probably the best place in the world to live. The system is stacked heavily to allow people of talent and advantage to rise to the top quickly.

The problem with the US is that everyone thinks they are of talent and advantage. As John Steinbeck famously said, the problem with poor Americans is that “they don’t believe they’re poor, but rather temporarily embarrassed millionaires.” It’s this culture of self-delusion that allows America to continue to innovate and churn out new industry more than anyone else in the world. But this shared delusion also unfortunately keeps perpetuating large social inequalities and the quality of life for the average citizen lower than most other developed countries. It’s the price we pay to maintain our growth and economic dominance

American people on average work more hours with less vacation, spend more time commuting every day, and are saddled with over $10,000 of debt. That’s a lot of time spent working and buying crap and little time or disposable income for relationships, activities or new experiences.

Pasca07: @honey almost high percentage of nigerians are hard working is just that hard work does not pay in naija.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 7:04pm On Sep 29, 2013
Come home to what exactly?

Norwegians make more money than Americans

Sweden is more advanced

Hong Kong is way more technologically superior

The biggest and most advanced plane in the world is flown out of Singapore.

The tallest buildings in the world are now in Dubai and Shanghai.

Meanwhile, the US has the highest incarceration rate in the world.

The World Health Organization ranked the US 37th in the world for health care, despite the fact that we spend the most per capita by a large margin.

The hospitals are nicer in Asia (with European-educated doctors and nurses) and cost a tenth as much. Something as routine as a vaccination costs multiple hundreds of dollars in the US and less than $10 in Colombia. And before you make fun of Colombian hospitals, Colombia is 28th in the world on that WHO list, nine spots higher than us.

My sister paid $500 for a regular vaccination for school.

I’m not going to go crazy with the details, but we eat chemically-laced crap because it’s cheaper and tastes better (profit, profit). Our portion sizes are absurd (more profit). And we’re by far the most prescribed nation in the world AND our drugs cost five to ten times more than they do even in Canada (ohhhhhhh, profit, you sexy bitch).

In terms of life expectancy, despite being the richest country in the world, we come in a paltry 38th. Right behind Cuba, Malta and the United Arab Emirates, and slightly ahead of Slovenia, Kuwait and Uruguay. Enjoy your Big Mac.

There is no FACT to support that America is the greatest country. It's all "GOOD PR"

America is 7th in Literacy
27th in Math
22nd in Science
49th in Life expectancy
178th in Infant Mortality
3rd in Median household income
America is number one in ONLY 3 categories
1. Number of incarcerated citizens per capita
2. Number of adults who believe angels are real
3. Defense spending (aka spending money by military to go to war with other countries) - America spends more than the 26 developed countries combined

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16K6m3Ua2nw#t=153

la_creame:

why cant they see things as good and later turn out better?
why so pessimistic?
leaving a country as dead as nigeria legally should not be seen as bad
they are better opportunities there, and a better shot at growing
stop scaring people, if they wanna travel let them and if they dont make it they can come home.

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by lacreame: 7:05pm On Sep 29, 2013
ozo_emeka: L O L
"doing well" , what exactly do they "do"?

yes I lived in Nigeria for more than 12 years, in those we have lived in a one bedroom, with people, rented, in a duplex, in a bungalow and everything between so I KNOW NIGERIA.

@Afam how Tell me why the car wash boy here won't be frustrated. Mind you all the people he has "debt" with AUTOMATICALLY withdraw from his paycheck before he even sees it. So they claim he makes about 1500 a month YET he sees NOTHING!

Don't even get me started on insurance, without Health Insurance, Good Luck!

How is the Car wash driver "eating like his fellow americans"?? Did you read that LIST

He is buying
1 crate of eggs $1.54
Oil Canola $3.61

FOR the month, aka 30 days. In Nigeria, the Car wash man can afford to eat "mama put" of at least N200 a day in a month that's N6000 i.e $40
If The SAME car wash TRIES that in America he won't even see rent money for the month. For what the car wash in Nigeria eats for N200 the Car wash man in america will have to pay $14 to EAT the SAME food. N200 is $1.25 and is NOT enough to buy you more than 1 bag of chips. A meal in Mcdonalds the CHEAPEST place to eat, is $6.25 if the car wash guy eats burger (which is not filling btw) everyday and eats ONLY that , then he will spend $190 a month on feeding.

His "american" counterparts are eating in restaurants, going to see movies, taking vacations etc . His pay check CAN NOT afford that.

The price of a BUS trip (ex. Lagos to Enugu) will cost you N15,000 in America. MEANWHILE in Nigeria ekene dili chukwu will take you there for less than N5000

Are you getting the cost of living? So although when you look at the FIGURES it looks WAY BIGGER when you change it to Naira, cost of Living is ridiculously high.

Those who live in NY? Ask them, a bottle of water is almost $8 (AT THE CHEAP PLACES) .. That means to buy a small bottle of water is N1500 ON THE STREET OF LAGOS

last question. .. how old were u when you stayed in nigeria?

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 7:06pm On Sep 29, 2013
till i turned 15
la_creame:
last question. .. how old were u when you stayed in nigeria?

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by lacreame: 7:11pm On Sep 29, 2013
ozo_emeka: Come home to what exactly?

Norwegians make more money than Americans

Sweden is more advanced

Hong Kong is way more technologically superior

The biggest and most advanced plane in the world is flown out of Singapore.

The tallest buildings in the world are now in Dubai and Shanghai.

Meanwhile, the US has the highest incarceration rate in the world.

The World Health Organization ranked the US 37th in the world for health care, despite the fact that we spend the most per capita by a large margin.

The hospitals are nicer in Asia (with European-educated doctors and nurses) and cost a tenth as much. Something as routine as a vaccination costs multiple hundreds of dollars in the US and less than $10 in Colombia. And before you make fun of Colombian hospitals, Colombia is 28th in the world on that WHO list, nine spots higher than us.

My sister paid $500 for a regular vaccination for school.

I’m not going to go crazy with the details, but we eat chemically-laced crap because it’s cheaper and tastes better (profit, profit). Our portion sizes are absurd (more profit). And we’re by far the most prescribed nation in the world AND our drugs cost five to ten times more than they do even in Canada (ohhhhhhh, profit, you sexy bitch).

In terms of life expectancy, despite being the richest country in the world, we come in a paltry 38th. Right behind Cuba, Malta and the United Arab Emirates, and slightly ahead of Slovenia, Kuwait and Uruguay. Enjoy your Big Mac.

There is no FACT to support that America is the greatest country. It's all "GOOD PR"

America is 7th in Literacy
27th in Math
22nd in Science
49th in Life expectancy
178th in Infant Mortality
3rd in Median household income
America is number one in ONLY 3 categories
1. Number of incarcerated citizens per capita
2. Number of adults who believe angels are real
3. Defense spending (aka spending money by military to go to war with other countries) - America spends more than the 26 developed countries combined

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16K6m3Ua2nw#t=153

who said anything about america being the best country? I dint say its the best but its sure better than naija.
come home to whatever they left at home.
leaving this country for a better one legally is not bad, stop trying to make it look bad.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply)

Christian Emeka Ibeagwa Dies In U.S.A. Do You Know Him? / I Finally Stepped Out Of The House After Two More Months Of Quarantine (photos) / Nigerians In Sweden, How Is The Economy And Life Generally

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116