Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,098 members, 7,863,842 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 07:37 AM

You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? - Travel (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (132319 Views)

Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 5:45pm On Oct 05, 2013
cap28: Its funny how the average American will tell you about how tough America is whereas the average Nigerian will sing the praises of America. I think it has something to do with the fact that the majority of Nigerians who immigrate to America were so poor before they left that any standard of living is an improvement on what they had before.

America is a nation that was founded on the slavery, ra.pe and murder of black African slaves it was never meant to be a place for black people to prosper, there have been a few improvements for blacks since the civil rights movement of the 60s but on average the majority of blacks and that obviously includes Nigerian immigrants are financially not on the same level as the whites and even other non white races eg Chinese, Japanese, Indians.

And please don't mention Obama - he does not represent the interests of black americans and is a mere puppet of the white power structure which continues to influence not only what goes on in America but what goes on back in your own country Nigeria - Exxon Mobil are as we speak in Nigeria making millions if not billions of dollars in profits in your own country while you flee to America to do the jobs their own people will not dream of doing.

Unfortunately, I have seen the light, this country is has a lot of hidden secrets. I was reading a memo sometimes last month, while the Blacks don't even help themselves, a major reason why Congress has moved to defund healthcare, food stamps, etc is because it affects mainly the Blacks...

Three months ago I believe, the Supreme Court Struck down the Voting Rights Acts meaning that discrimination based upon voting is ALLOWED. What does that mean? It means the fat fucktards on Capitol Hill can elect themselves to depress you..Anyone can read up on the case, the "RACIST" states included FL, TX, NC, and can't recall others, the VRA protected blacks from voting discrimination.

Did I also forget about NRA that has been a heated discussion of debate in Congress? I used to be a proponent of the NRA, but having studied gun violence and patterns, the victims are usually "" and the guilty ones, we know who they are. These are so many things that are going on but people can't even read the handwriting.

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by cap28: 5:51pm On Oct 05, 2013
bootlegaz: This OP is 21 years old and he has a lot to learn. Dude grew up in predominantly ex Panther members neighborhood here in the United States and that is why he is using one side of his mouth to tell young intelligent and feedup Nigerians not to migrate to a country that practice meritocracy. Same dude benefits from financial aids given to him by the government he claims to despise. Advise to young Nigerians, if you are below 30years old and you are politically not connected and are book smart, I see no reason why you want to remain in a cesspool.

Is there something wrong with the Black Panthers?

If not for the sacrifices they made you wouldn't be able to use the same restaurant, toilets, schools, libraries, movie theatres or shops as a white person in America.

America practices meritocracy ? whaaaaaaaaat?

so what was the civil rights movement about and why is the unemployment rate amongst blacks disproportionately higher than that of whites?

Did you know that Africans were only permitted to immigrate to America to live after the civil rights movement of the 1960s prior to that period only Europeans were allowed to immigrate there, as a matter of fact Africans and blacks from other countries were only allowed to immigrate to America AFTER the European immigration quotas had been exhausted that's why whites remain the largest and most powerful racial group in America
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 5:59pm On Oct 05, 2013
cap28:

If not for the sacrifices they made you wouldn't be able to use the same restaurant, toilets, schools, libraries, movie theatres or shops as a white person in America.

so what was the civil rights movement about and why is the unemployment rate amongst blacks disproportionately higher than that of whites?

Did you know that Africans were only permitted to immigrate to America to live after the civil rights movement of the 1960s prior to that period only Europeans were allowed to immigrate there, as a matter of fact Africans and blacks from other countries were only allowed to immigrate to America AFTER the European immigration quotas had been exhausted that's why whites remain the largest and most powerful racial group in America

You know I was having a very heated argument with my friend who's black, and what started the argument? The shooting at Navy Yard that occurred about three weeks ago. The dude tried to lay claims that it was Abraham Lincoln who stopped discrimination because he signed the Emancipation Proclamation Act, the act the freed the Black slaves. This same question you asked, I asked, so what led to the Civil Right Movement in 1960? Why did Congress pass the Civil Rights Act of 1964? I didn't stop short, I told him you went to a white school, and you're brainwashed already, are you aware of the landmark ruling: Brown vs Board of Education? Do you know the Judge who argued the case? Associate Justice Thurgood Marshall of Baltimore, it's because of that ruling that black and whites can go to the same school until the CRA movements. Some folks need to think deeper, that's all I can say.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Originalsly: 6:07pm On Oct 05, 2013
Jeezy: Ok. So, somebody in my office wants to resign from a N300,000 per month job, go and study Computer Security in the US (saved up the tuition and rent- about $30,000), get a job after his Masters using his post-study work visa, HOPE that his employer will file for his work permit, and earn an estimated $50,000 a year (estimate based on current vacancies in that field).

For the Nigerians in the US, does the above plan sound realistic? Is there a remote chance that this might be a good plan? What are the odds?

We all come to crossroads in life where we have to decide on which way to go. This decision can make or ruin a person's life. Help this 'somebody in my office' make a wise, informed decision. undecided
In keeping with the theme of this thread....this one is looking before he leap! How long would the course be and how muxh would it cost? ....such education is not cheap.Rent can vary greatly depending on State and where in that State. Doesn't sound nowhere near enough. Getting a job without papers....hard nut to crack. Getting an employer to sponsor you....scratch that one out. Even if you do get your Masters then I think you will be wayyy better off returning home.....that degree would carry weight ...heavy salary and less competition. In the end $50K a year would make you take a few steps backwards in the US than your present status in Nigeria. Do not resign.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by cap28: 6:35pm On Oct 05, 2013
manny4life:

Unfortunately, I have seen the light, this country is has a lot of hidden secrets. I was reading a memo sometimes last month, while the Blacks don't even help themselves, a major reason why Congress has moved to defund healthcare, food stamps, etc is because it affects mainly the Blacks...

Three months ago I believe, the Supreme Court Struck down the Voting Rights Acts meaning that discrimination based upon voting is ALLOWED. What does that mean? It means the fat fucktards on Capitol Hill can elect themselves to depress you..Anyone can read up on the case, the "RACIST" states included FL, TX, NC, and can't recall others, the VRA protected blacks from voting discrimination.

Did I also forget about NRA that has been a heated discussion of debate in Congress? I used to be a proponent of the NRA, but having studied gun violence and patterns, the victims are usually "" and the guilty ones, we know who they are. These are so many things that are going on but people can't even read the handwriting.

Well im glad you have seen the light because things are set to get a lot worse for blacks in America with the coming collapse of the US dollar.

This is why its important to read history, if you look at the struggle of black americans with the white supremacist power structure in America you will begin to understand just how the odds have been severly stacked against them.

Don't forget that black americans were only allowed the vote as recently as 1968, prior to this period the black man or woman had no rights that a white American was under an obligation to respect and this is why a white person could ra.pe or murder a black person and not even be arrested let alone go to prison -

Also laws were enacted to keep blacks poor and ignorant, I have some pictures which show black schools and white schools in the 1960s and the difference is very clear -people might say oh but that was way back in the day, actually the inequalities have continued to this very day and this is the reason why many blacks are not properly educated, as you know poor education equals poor paying job which equals low standard of living - this is why on average the majority of blacks in America through no fault of their own remain at the bottom rung of the socio economic ladder.

The bottom line is that America got very very rich off the backs of black slave labour and later cheap black labour - when I see Nigerians praising America on all of its accomplishments I wonder why they are totally ignorant of the fact that the great wealth of America was built on the blood, sweat and tears of black African slaves whose descendants have never been compensated.

As far as white America is concerned blacks were never meant to be anything other than servants of white americans and that's why when slavery was abolished, blacks were forced into share cropping (slavery through the back door) and then factory jobs and later low skilled paying jobs. in other words black people are regarded by white americans and also Europeans as cheap labour and that view remains till today.

Since the 1980s there has been a decline in the abundance of low skilled jobs in America but at the same time unemployment amongst blacks has steadily risen - this has resulted in the rise in the building of prisons in America (which is a moneyspinner for big business) have you ever asked yourself why blacks always get longer prison sentences compared to their white counterparts who comitt the same crimes?

I beleive the answer lies in the fact that the govt has made no provision for young black men in the labour force - slavery has been abolished, low paying jobs are now being done by other black immigrants or Mexicans so what do you do with a group of men who you have no jobs for? you put them in prison - end of problem - and that's why blacks always get the longest prison sentences, the longer your sentence the more money the prison owner makes from uniforms, meals and other necessities that inmates require. Prison is big business and some white americans are making bucket loads of money off the back of black people (particularly black American men)

7 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Oct 05, 2013
Originalsly: I am not at all surprised at this your reply.... just shows that you be spitting phrases that you don't understand. In a forum like this you should be able to explain or defend whatever you say when challenged. Google is a source you can consult for information...not a rock to hide behind when confronted. Let's try again...what do you mean by "a White man's mentality".....and "a true American"?
Your definition of google shows how mental challenged you are.

Now fucck off, thank you
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Jeezy: 6:35pm On Oct 05, 2013
Originalsly: In keeping with the theme of this thread....this one is looking before he leap! How long would the course be and how muxh would it cost? ....such education is not cheap.Rent can vary greatly depending on State and where in that State. Doesn't sound nowhere near enough. Getting a job without papers....hard nut to crack. Getting an employer to sponsor you....scratch that one out. Even if you do get your Masters then I think you will be wayyy better off returning home.....that degree would carry weight ...heavy salary and less competition. In the end $50K a year would make you take a few steps backwards in the US than your present status in Nigeria. Do not resign.

Well, i am sure that if he had his way he would stay in Naija; but he is in the volatile banking industry where nothing is g'teed. You can be out of a job when you least expect it. He has done his research and found out that that field is needed in the US. In addition, there is currently a post-study work option where International students can work for a year after graduation. The assumption is that, with his IT certifications (he has 3 good ones), PLUS a Masters degree, he should be able to get some employer who needs his services within the one year period. He also HOPES to get a work permit via his employer when the one year post study work lapses.

The other option would be to stay in Nigeria, hope that they dont fire him from his job (The risk of this happening gets higher as you climb the hierachy in the Banking Industry). Worst case, if it doesnt work out, he will be coming home 'armed' a Masters plus at least one year experience in the US. He figures this puts him a better position and gives him more bargaining power. NOTE: There are at least 10 vacancies for Cmputer security per week from only ONE jobsite. I'm encouraging the young man to go. Good Deal or No deal?
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by chiboy1928(m): 6:45pm On Oct 05, 2013
Is these thread still moving nawah oh america the name alone don suffer for here!

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by manny4life(m): 6:51pm On Oct 05, 2013
Jeezy:

Well, i am sure that if he had his way he would stay in Naija; but he is in the volatile banking industry where nothing is g'teed. You can be out of a job when you least expect it. He has done his research and found out that that field is needed in the US. In addition, there is currently a post-study work option where International students can work for a year after graduation. The assumption is that, with his IT certifications (he has 3 good ones), PLUS a Masters degree, he should be able to get some employer who needs his services within the one year period. He also HOPES to get a work permit via his employer when the one year post study work lapses.

The other option would be to stay in Nigeria, hope that they dont fire him from his job (The risk of this happening gets higher as you climb the hierachy in the Banking Industry). Worst case, if it doesnt work out, he will be coming home 'armed' a Masters plus at least one year experience in the US. He figures this puts him a better position and gives him more bargaining power. NOTE: There are at least 10 vacancies for Cmputer security per week from only ONE jobsite. I'm encouraging the young man to go. Good Deal or No deal?

I have told you my own, if he has PLANNED thoroughly, i.e., there is NO FREE MEAL HERE, his education won't be a problem. Heck, as a student, he can be working "under the table job" for the year and he's at school, he can do that. Heck you said he has IT Certifications, he could do some side jobs, thanks to CL, and many other sites, he can do solo jobs on the side while going to school... Masters Student with three IT Certs---> Perfect pitch.

What I think may pose an issue may be getting the job or yet getting sponsorship. I know for certain that IT and Computer Science fields are hot now in the U.S., although since he's into security, I'd advice him to be SURE most of these jobs do NOT require security clearance because that's where some of the jobs are. Like I initially stated, after he's done with school, if he decides the job market isn't good enough (which may be bad for him because he has no papers), let him head back home to Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by unmask: 6:54pm On Oct 05, 2013
esanland:
U dont get the writer point. Did u have to jump in the fire before u know how it burn, friend? America is not heaven as tv made many believe, it is just a country.
this is also the point you and op is missing.....America is not just a country, it is a far far better country than Nigeria was, is and maybe ever will be (if the trend continues)....and as per being disappointed I am sure anyone that lived in Nigeria till a certain age can handle your perceived american reality....prudently or otherwise

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by cap28: 6:55pm On Oct 05, 2013
manny4life:

You know I was having a very heated argument with my friend who's black, and what started the argument? The shooting at Navy Yard that occurred about three weeks ago. The dude tried to lay claims that it was Abraham Lincoln who stopped discrimination because he signed the Emancipation Proclamation Act, the act the freed the Black slaves. This same question you asked, I asked, so what led to the Civil Right Movement in 1960? Why did Congress pass the Civil Rights Act of 1964? I didn't stop short, I told him you went to a white school, and you're brainwashed already, are you aware of the landmark ruling: Brown vs Board of Education? Do you know the Judge who argued the case? Associate Justice Thurgood Marshall of Baltimore, it's because of that ruling that black and whites can go to the same school until the CRA movements. Some folks need to think deeper, that's all I can say.

Here is a quote from dear old Abe Lincoln when asked about what he planned to do with the freed slaves:

Abraham Lincoln Quote

“I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races – that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything.”

by:

Abraham Lincoln
(1809-1865) 16th US President
Source:

As a matter of fact Lincoln did everything within his power not to upset the south and he was willing to allow them to continue to keep slaves as long as they did not secede from the union , it was only because the south insisted on seceding (because they were wealthier than the north) that Lincoln now played his trump card which was to abolish slavery, knowing full well that their wealth was dependant on slavery, therefore Lincoln did not abolish slavery because he felt it was wrong he abolished it because it was the only way he could bring about the collapse of the economy of the south and deliver victory to the north.

Infact blacks were reinslaved by way of share cropping where the white landowner got blacks to work for a pittance picking cotton on plantations and later chain gangs where young black men were arrested on falsified charges, imprisoned, chained up and forced to do back breaking work like laying railway tracks, clearing of marshland and swamps etc.

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Originalsly: 7:06pm On Oct 05, 2013
Jeezy:

For now I think he should get a better grip on the finance required. Getting the Masters and the one year experience is a very good deal....a win win situation in that of he doesn't get his papers and a favourable job then he can always return and guaranteed they will hunt him down with blank checks! Security?!...that's the heart of any company. Very good deal.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Oct 05, 2013
I directed my sister who lives in Ireland to this discussion. Below was her reply to me:

Good afternoon, bro xxxxx
Fortunately or unfortunately, to make a living is not easy, no matter where you reside. The difference is that you have security, rest of mind and all those little things that we may not count as anything are there at all times, like power supply, good roads, medical insurance and good education. This is not to say that I'm trying to convince you on what to do or how to run your family, but life is a risk itself and is filled with hustling no matter where you chose to live. The way I see it, your case is different, in the sense that you have something to fall on. You have your qualification and your family, all you need do if you chose to relocate is take a few months course to prove yourself and start from there. I'm not saying its going to be easy (nothing good comes easy) but you need to start from somewhere. 
All the things they said or showed on that website is probably true, I'm not sure cos I don't know much about that states, but I believe it's somehow true because I watch some reality shows. It all depends on the life you choose. Most, not all but most of the residents in those very bad neighborhood are mostly drug addicts who couldn't care less about their environment as long as the crack is being supplied. 
Another scenario would be luck for instance, Denis, he hasn't got any qualifications, but he's doing his best and actually loves his job. Plus your luck is not the same as the other person, you might find that your luck is in US (or not) you'll never know until you try. The most important thing that is that you take EVERYTHING to God in prayer. See if America is THE place for you (things work out for the best for them that believe in God).
As for crime rate and racism;
The way I see it, the crime rate in Nigeria as of today is higher than that of the Americans. As the crimes that had long happen or are happening in America are happening in Nigeria also. Somebody wakes up in the morning and decides to go for a killing spree, it's happening in Nigeria now. The opposite believer decides he's going to claim his life and that of hundreds of innocent people, it's happening back home, so does other one thousand and one crimes taking place every day like drugs and others like it. 
Hausa decides to eradicate the existence of Igbo people, that's racism, Yoruba, decided they've had enough of the igbo's or hausa's, that's racism. Even between ourselves, one culture decides to deport, demote or completely remove an employee who is overly qualified and had even worked for the company for over 10 or 20 years, just so he can empower his own brother who by all accounts is less qualified. Tell me how to describe that if not racism. 
Mum had that metal ( ntutu) thing removed from her body every time she travels to the village, that's just wickedness towards your own person, i classify that as the worse racist act ever. If oyibo shows you racism, they'll never touch you because of having harassment in their record but once your fellow black skinned brother shows you racial attitude, he'll even kill because he doesn't like you.  Now, compare the populations and tell me which country have the highest crime and racism rate. I'm not trying to make you favour one country over another, but I'm trying to make some pros and cons known to you. I'm trying to shade some light on the concept of racism, its something that will never go away, not in America, not in Nigeria, not in Ireland or any other country but we all have to live with it and hope for the best. We go through the same thing here in Ireland, I live in cork. Cork and Dublin people don't see eye to eye, same with other part of the country. How much more, we the immigrants. If our country was good, believe me, no body would want to leave their fathers land, think about it. People like your sister and your cousins and other people you might have heard of, have been surviving in that country without being a celebrity. They still somehow prefer there than their homeland. So what if you have bills and live on credit, don't you have bills in Nigeria? does Nigeria let you live on credit, can you even borrow from the bank without  that much interest fee? Does Nigeria provide the less earners social income or protection? No! The poorest person here can afford to buy themselves one chicken but the poorest person in Nigeria cannot afford 10 niara bread. 
 It's like they say, hanging ones head above water, that's how to survive in this hoping that God will continue to protect his people in this end times. 
I hope you understand some of my explanations because I'm doing the kids hair and I a bit of rush.

3 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Bimpss(f): 7:41pm On Oct 05, 2013
manny4life:

Exactly!! I wish I could like this 100 times. The American system is not set up for the advancement and the success of the Black race. Yet you have some mugu Nigerians, who will come on here praising the system. Telling you how successful they are, when in actuality they live on debt and oppression daily.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Stegomiah: 8:11pm On Oct 05, 2013
Don't understand why some have dcided to attack the OP's personality by calling him a kid, don't think a 21year old is a kid.

Read through all the pages, and all i can point out is that the OP is not trying to discourage Nigerians from travelling to the States nor is he trying to paint Nigerians and other blacks thriving in the states bad, but he is just giving those who wanna come over a proper orientation of what to expect, doing so in a pragmatic way.

This thread is like a debate, not every one will agree with his point of view. Not every one will think in same line with him, but the bulk of what he said is the truth backed up with facts that's if you see it from his point of view. What the T.V paints about America is not the real America you get that's for someone trying to start a life. Hussle, and make a living, the start is αℓωαчs rough especially if you know no one,

And another major thing is that there is no basis of comparism between Nigeria and the states, our country is just 53 years old while America is close to 200years, don't think the OP is trying to compare both countries either.

I have been to the states on 3 different occasions, got siblings and relatives there and trust me i know a lot about the states. To survive and make sense there below are some things that will help:

Preparation- Get well prepared, be fully informed. Outline your goals work towards it, mix with people that can help you become succesful not the ones that will mar your stay and get you in trouble.

Discipline- you need to show a high level of discipline, many things are attractive there and tempting which if you are not careful will land you into serious debt. Cut your clothe according to your size, save and invest somewhere else.

Hardwork- work hard, work hard and work hard. Lazy people can never survive in america, most times you are on your own, hard work pays

If we put same efforts we apply to survive in america, poverty will be far gone in Nigeria. America brings the best in people cos its so fuxking competitive. No one needs to borrow you sense or tell you what to do before you know whatz up, cos every one around you IS̶̲̥̅ thriving to survive and make it or better still live the american dream, with so much accrued debts, you will learn to work harder to catch up.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Stegomiah: 8:14pm On Oct 05, 2013
Don't understand why some have dcided to attack the OP's personality by calling him a kid, don't think a 21year old is a kid.

Read through all the pages, and all i can point out is that the OP is not trying to discourage Nigerians from travelling to the States nor is he trying to paint Nigerians and other blacks thriving in the states bad, but he is just giving those who wanna come over a proper orientation of what to expect, doing so in a pragmatic way.

This thread is like a debate, not every one will agree with his point of view. Not every one will think in same line with him, but the bulk of what he said is the truth backed up with facts that's if you see it from his point of view. What the T.V paints about America is not the real America you get that's for someone trying to start a life. Hussle, and make a living, the start is αℓωαчs rough especially if you know no one,

And another major thing is that there is no basis of comparism between Nigeria and the states, our country is just 53 years old while America is close to 200years, don't think the OP is trying to compare both countries either.

I have been to the states on 3 different occasions, got siblings and relatives there and trust me i know a lot about the states. To survive and make sense there below are some things that will help:

Preparation- Get well prepared, be fully informed. Outline your goals work towards it, mix with people that can help you become succesful not the ones that will mar your stay and get you in trouble.

Discipline- you need to show a high level of discipline, many things are attractive there and tempting which if you are not careful will land you into serious debt. Cut your clothe according to your size, save and invest somewhere else.

Hardwork- work hard, work hard and work hard. Lazy people can never survive in america, most times you are on your own, hard work pays

If we put same efforts we apply to survive in america, poverty will be far gone in Nigeria. America brings the best in people cos its so fuxking competitive. No one needs to borrow you sense or tell you what to do before you know whatz up, cos every one around you IS̶̲̥̅ thriving to survive and make it or better still live the american dream, with so much accrued debts, you will learn to work harder to catch up.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Stegomiah: 8:14pm On Oct 05, 2013

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Stegomiah: 8:15pm On Oct 05, 2013

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Stegomiah: 8:17pm On Oct 05, 2013

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by igbo2011(m): 8:43pm On Oct 05, 2013
cap28:

Africans were allowed to imgrate to the US before civil rights. Look at Kwame Nkrumah, Nnamdi Azikwe and Chinweizu Ibekwe. They all studied in America.

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by pickabeau1: 8:49pm On Oct 05, 2013
Let him convert it to Study leave so he can come back if it does not click

OR BETTER STILL LOOK AT CANADA OR AUSTRALIA

Jeezy: Ok. So, somebody in my office wants to resign from a N300,000 per month job, go and study Computer Security in the US (saved up the tuition and rent- about $30,000), get a job after his Masters using his post-study work visa, HOPE that his employer will file for his work permit, and earn an estimated $50,000 a year (estimate based on current vacancies in that field).

For the Nigerians in the US, does the above plan sound realistic? Is there a remote chance that this might be a good plan? What are the odds?

We all come to crossroads in life where we have to decide on which way to go. This decision can make or ruin a person's life. Help this 'somebody in my office' make a wise, informed decision. undecided
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by pickabeau1: 8:56pm On Oct 05, 2013
@cap28 is that right... abe lincoln said that?? shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Akiika: 9:25pm On Oct 05, 2013
It's called taking responsibility.....rather than depending unfairly on others.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by cap28: 9:43pm On Oct 05, 2013
igbo2011:

Africans were allowed to imgrate to the US before civil rights. Look at Kwame Nkrumah, Nnamdi Azikwe and Chinweizu Ibekwe. They all studied in America.

Only to study and return to their countries of origin after finishing their studies but not to settle unlike Europeans who had been settling in the US since the 1800s.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by cap28: 9:44pm On Oct 05, 2013
pickabeau1: @cap28 is that right... abe lincoln said that?? shocked shocked shocked shocked
100% - you can google the quote, he said even worse things about freed slaves and was thinking of repartriating freed slaves to Haiti after the civil war.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Sagewood: 9:49pm On Oct 05, 2013
@ Everyone, Please rest easy!
I have lived in the UK and now in the USA and acquired citizenship of both countries.
I have a lot of experience living in Nigeria, Europe and America, and had the opportunity to visit
few countries in Africa, Asia and Australia.
America remains the greatest country now and likely for a long time as far as economic opportunities are concerned.
America presents you with the good, the bad and the ugly, just like most countries.
Even as a doctor with specialist qualifications, America is still tough.
Everyone can make it in the USA, just that you need to take the right steps, study smart and
work very hard. Give it some years, you will be successful and achieve your goals.
Life is not a bed of roses in America or anywhere in the planet.
The thing is always gravitate towards the area where your qualifications will be needed, otherwise, it will be harder.
As for the Black Americans, they should not wait for anyone to help them, they can organize themselves and push their agendas
in the political, social, and economic arenas. Heaven help those who help themselves!

3 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by jossy501: 10:02pm On Oct 05, 2013
donsax: NO matter the racist, no matter the ghetto...No matter the debt......America is still far better than Nigeria in all way....
Why don't Ya' all retrn back home ifyou think you can't cope with all these...you are there pushing it and you encourage people that wanna come to stay back home..do you know the current country situation? That's why a thread was created that people in Nigeria hate Nigerians abroad...because they think they don't want them to ever leave home...
Why not open a thread on how to survive all these hardship or how you are coping with it?
We still have many successful Nigerians in America...if all these things happening, find a way to play Americans too and survive...a poor or middle class Nigerian will survive any hardish on earth because no where can be as bad as how poor people live in Nigeria...is like someone living in an overcrowded room of like 10people in a room and goes to another place where they are 5people in the room and someone is asking can you survive this? Hell ya he can..
I guess some people aborad are really selfish, someone will open a thread..".America is racist and full of ghetto" Europe has finished recession all over, Canada is too cold, Australia is costly New zealand is too far, no job in S.A, tax is high in uk, middle east pay are peanuts, china is over populated, japan is earthquake home, South korea s unrest because of north Korea, south America are full of crimes, india is no go area...
Where the f.uc.k then do you want them to migrate to since they can't stay home and all these countries are bad..I guess you want them to migrate to newly discovered habitat MARS?
Please tell them and let them stop discouraging people
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by bootlegaz: 10:25pm On Oct 05, 2013
Sagewood: @ Everyone, Please rest easy!
I have lived in the UK and now in the USA and acquired citizenship of both countries.
I have a lot of experience living in Nigeria, Europe and America, and had the opportunity to visit
America remains the greatest country now and likely for a long time as far as economic opportunities are concerned.
America presents you with the good, the bad and the ugly, just like most countries.
Everyone can make it in the USA, just that you need to take the right steps, study smart and
work very hard. Give it some years, you will be successful and achieve your goals.
The thing is always gravitate towards the area where your qualifications will be needed, otherwise, it will be harder.
As for the Black Americans, they should not wait for anyone to help them, they can organize themselves and push their agendas
in the political, social, and economic arenas. Heaven help those who help themselves!
Thanks for telling it as it is. America has more successful Nigerians than Nigeria as a country has. Some of the disgruntled few out here are lazy and are Al sharpton's gullible disciplines. Bill Cosby said it better
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by bootlegaz: 10:27pm On Oct 05, 2013
cap28:
100% - you can google the quote, he said even worse things about freed slaves and was thinking of repartriating freed slaves to Haiti after the civil war.
Dude you are gullible and will continue to live the life of," white is holding me down" life.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by cap28: 10:32pm On Oct 05, 2013
Sagewood: @ Everyone, Please rest easy!

Are you aware of the fact that America's national debt currently stands at a staggering $17 trillion and rising?

America has only been able to stay afloat because it forced all oil producing countries to accept the US dollar in exchange for their oil exports
since all industrialised nations require oil to grow their economy this caused an artificially high demand for the US dollar - as a result the US economy has been able to live well above its means, it spends much much more than it produces, but it can only do this because it has access to credit facilities due to the fact that the dollar is currently still regarded as a valuable currency if this position changes you are going to see astronomical hyperinflation which will lead to escalation in cost of living in the US and believe me with the level of violence that exists in that country now you don't want to know how violent it will become when many people will not be able to afford to buy things that most americans have taken for granted for years like food.

watch this video and you will understand where America is headed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP7L8bw5QF4

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (35) (Reply)

Illegal Immigrant: My Near Death And Terrible Experience In Malaysia / I Am Traveling From Asaba To Onitsha Today, This Is How Prepared I Am (Photos) / Memoirs From Chile

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.