Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,085 members, 7,821,747 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa - Nairaland / General (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa (30410 Views)

Nigerian Man Wins A Bet By Sleeping With His Girlfriend In The Open In A Club / Ex Oyo Governor's Daughter Got A Response From A Yoruba Boy / My Reaction When I Had A Response "Server Error" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by tpia6: 12:29am On Oct 26, 2013
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Nobody: 4:35pm On Oct 26, 2013
Seun: Check your spam folder.

Wait a minute! So my own enquiry no deserve reply? Chei na whole me you snubbed! Just because I thought you were human being. I don suffer!

Seun, I just discovered you really suck! Read my lips!

A/ss!
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by MsSpaqs(f): 12:19am On Oct 27, 2013
My comment is directed at Seun,I have seen instances where some Nairalanders complained that their Usernames were edited by you it gives me concern cuz i wonder that if a Username can be changed by you wat else cant be changed.
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Jbluv55(m): 3:48pm On Oct 27, 2013
Dear Seun. Pls how do I gain access to an account of mine as I can't seem to remember the password nor the email I used in creating it.
Your response would be quite appreciated. Thanks.
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by pinnochio(m): 1:23pm On Nov 18, 2013
I think the "de-activate" button is now working.

But how come the leader of the struggle (Davo93) hasn't used it yet?

You guys need to understand that banning members actually inflates the displayed total membership of nairaland because people here tend to open new accounts anytime their old accounts are banned. It's a fool-proof community building trick. It works due to the law of large numbers. grin

If you don't believe me, read "Extraordinary popular delusions and the madness of crowds, by Charles Mackay". Written in 1841, it holds certain truths that are still relevant today.

Seun didn't come to sell groundnut here o grin
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by J0nyb0y(m): 7:08pm On Nov 18, 2013
Seun could it be possible to create a notification that alerts us when any of our posts are quoted so we can reply... Because most tym we dont go back 2 check the thread
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Seun(m): 8:13pm On Nov 18, 2013
Ms Spaqs: My comment is directed at Seun,I have seen instances where some Nairalanders complained that their Usernames were edited by you it gives me concern cuz i wonder that if a Username can be changed by you wat else cant be changed.
A long time ago we may have changed some usernames for whimsical reasons, but nowadays we only change usernames in two situations:
1. If the user asks us to change his/her username to protect his/her privacy or security and we believe that the threat is credible.
2. If we think a user's name was clearly chosen to cause confusion by being very similar to a popular user's name. E.g. "Scun"
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Seun(m): 8:14pm On Nov 18, 2013
Jbluv55: Dear Seun. Pls how do I gain access to an account of mine as I can't seem to remember the password nor the email I used in creating it.
Your response would be quite appreciated. Thanks.
You should not have more than one account, ser.
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Seun(m): 8:15pm On Nov 18, 2013
J0nyb0y: Seun could it be possible to create a notification that alerts us when any of our posts are quoted so we can reply... Because most tym we dont go back 2 check the thread
This is a much-requested feature but there's no bulletproof way to implement it. The ways we know would either cause you to be notified sometimes when you were not in fact quoted or there will be times when you would be quoted or mentioned but you won't get any notifications.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Nobody: 9:30pm On Nov 18, 2013
Seun: This is a much-requested feature but there's no bulletproof way to implement it. The ways we know would either cause you to be notified sometimes when you were not in fact quoted or there will be times when you would be quoted or mentioned but you won't get any notifications.

just a thought what of a twitter style like mention where @username compared to searching to the whole database and it could do search for that pattern before posting to avoid unnecessary query on the whole db, if not but since am not versed in python so I don,t know if python has anything like forking processes. Just contributing hope it makes sense.
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by contra(m): 8:56am On Nov 19, 2013
Seun: This is a much-requested feature but there's no bulletproof way to implement it. The ways we know would either cause you to be notified sometimes when you were not in fact quoted or there will be times when you would be quoted or mentioned but you won't get any notifications.

@Seun, what if you make the "quote" icon behave like the "share" icon like what you've on Facebook. You might be able to track it that way.
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Seun(m): 10:49am On Nov 19, 2013
contra: @Seun, what if you make the "quote" icon behave like the "share" icon like what you've on Facebook. You might be able to track it that way.
This will stifle Nairalanders quite a bit. We often want to quote more than one person in the same post. We often want to break the quoted text into paragraphs or sentences so we can rebut the arguments made in each paragraph or sentence.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by krugar07(m): 12:32pm On Nov 19, 2013
Seun: You should not have more than one account, ser.
what does ser mean ?
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Idrismusty97(m): 2:30pm On Nov 19, 2013
The best way to implement such a crucial feature is to create an app.Especially for the Android Os.
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Seun(m): 2:32pm On Nov 19, 2013
krugar07: what does ser mean ?
It means "sir", or near enough as makes no matter.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Idrismusty97(m): 4:20pm On Nov 19, 2013
Hello nairalanders.One of the most pressing issue on Nairaland is getting alert when you are quoted.These are the steps are used in knowing who recently quoted me;
1.Scroll down to the bottom/top of nairaland website where you will see a search bar.
2.Type in your username in the search bar
3.Click local search and view the people who quoted you.
grin
This method is very effective as it will show who mentioned your name too not only the people that quoted you. If you look closely at the screenshots you will see it is even arranged from new to old.
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Jbluv55(m): 6:45pm On Nov 19, 2013
Seun: You should not have more than one account, ser.
Dear Seun, pardon my ignorance if I seem to have violated a new NL rule by having more than one account 'cos I have gone through the original 21 rules of NL and the most related to account creation is 19. Don't create a new account when banned
for breaking a rule. If you do, make sure we
don't find out.
Now, my account has never bin banned by any of the mods so I have not/never gone round a ban.

*google and yahoo allow more than one to even assist with recovery*

Also, I'll be frank with you sir, I have noticed that your responses to complaints/suggestions @tyms could be perceived as selective and biased(as if you hold some members in a special black book probably because they have bin strong critics of some of your decisions?).
Before you chose to give me this response I'm sure you are/were aware that even a good number of ur mods have more than one account and thus all you should have done was just answer my question rather than make me feel bad for asking.

And for your info and the records, the account was my first and was created in 2009 while this current one is my 2nd which was created after I had tried to recover the password of the first to no avail; and you might have just given me the benefit of doubt that I might want to deactivate one of the two.

No offence was meant and if you decide to ban me then you would have confirmed a notion. wink

2 Likes

Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Nobody: 3:22am On Nov 20, 2013
When someone send me a message via NL and i reply it throws a mailer daemon how come ?
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Nobody: 11:49am On Nov 20, 2013
Seun, Create a Quote counter...Like the LIKED(1) Counter You have on top of the menu.

Let it Count Quotes(9).
When you Click on it then you see your quoted post....i don't understand how impossible that could be cos its damn necessary.
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Nobody: 1:17pm On Nov 20, 2013
nutty_hnic: Seun, Create a Quote counter...Like the LIKED(1) Counter You have on top of the menu.

Let it Count Quotes(9).
When you Click on it then you see your quoted post....i don't understand how impossible that could be cos its damn necessary.
Not impossible but might be complicated, to you its adding a quote, to them it involves some series of algorithm and obviously NL has big database, that means searching periodically on a large data now multiply that by the amount of HTTP Request sent 500,000 people online and the system fetching people's quote at the same time which means database access. that thought alone is enough for me to cringe.

Note: This view doesn't reflect that of Seun or NL or even the Python Developers on NL
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Nobody: 6:26pm On Nov 20, 2013
pc guru:
Not impossible but might be complicated, to you its adding a quote, to them it involves some series of algorithm and obviously NL has big database, that means searching periodically on a large data now multiply that by the amount of HTTP Request sent 500,000 people online and the system fetching people's quote at the same time which means database access. that thought alone is enough for me to cringe.

Note: This view doesn't reflect that of Seun or NL or even the Python Developers on NL

PC GURU....erm, you dont need to search periodically on anything. its a straight forward procedure irrespective of the scripting language that is being applied as it appears you ve got no idea what you are talking about ( dont mind my condescending tone).

its easy....i dont know about performance and how its gonna affect them buh here it goes.

1. trigger an event that saves the posts owners id in a session variable when the quote link is clicked.
2. if the submit button is clicked, check the url for quoted post to trigger the function that would save the quoted post+ owner of quote from the session variable+ post id+user logged in id.

3. count from the quotes table and display quoted post to show.

- done it before
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Nobody: 6:45pm On Nov 20, 2013
Goodevening, Sir Seun.

I have noticed that people view others' profile so often, it's the least of my concern to indulge in same manner.

However, I will like to request for a feature that enable us to see people who view our profile and it should be visible to the public/private as the case may be.

I will also like a "thank" feature to be included just as we have the "like" feature. This ,too, should be made visible to the public so we could see who and who likes a post.

You did implement it (the likers visibility) some months back but your reason for removing it was somewhat of shock within a space of 30 minutes of implementation.

These features are very much available at international forums, why is nairaland an exception?

1 Like

Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by sarutobi: 7:16pm On Nov 20, 2013
I am sorry, i just wanted to point that out again.
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by sarutobi: 7:18pm On Nov 20, 2013
good point
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Nobody: 7:27pm On Nov 20, 2013
nutty_hnic:

PC GURU....erm, you dont need to search periodically on anything. its a straight forward procedure irrespective of the scripting language that is being applied as it appears you ve got no idea what you are talking about ( dont mind my condescending tone).

its easy....i dont know about performance and how its gonna affect them buh here it goes.

1. trigger an event that saves the posts owners id in a session variable when the quote link is clicked.
2. if the submit button is clicked, check the url for quoted post to trigger the function that would save the quoted post+ owner of quote from the session variable+ post id+user logged in id.

3. count from the quotes table and display quoted post to show.

- done it before

Sorry i was referring to be quoted like this "@pc guru" not [Quote author='pc guru'] just realized i was talking about twitter style, never even noticed that the quote has an id attribute to it,if so your way is alright.
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by dridowu: 11:16am On Nov 21, 2013
@Seun, pls is there any criteria that you and the mods use for moving a thread to the front page ? If yes , what are they ?
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Idrismusty97(m): 11:23am On Nov 21, 2013
10 dislikes
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Idrismusty97(m): 11:24am On Nov 21, 2013
Seun if you will not implement a quote counter,at least create a "dislike" button. smiley
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by psky: 3:39pm On Dec 28, 2013
Please why was my comment hidden?

What rule did it break?
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Seun(m): 3:59pm On Dec 28, 2013
psky: Please why was my comment hidden?

What rule did it break?
1. Please post on topic always. Don't derail or tribalize threads.
Re: A Response To The Open Letter To Seun Osewa by psky: 4:18pm On Dec 28, 2013
Seun:
1. Please post on topic always. Don't derail or tribalize threads.

If that's the case then there are dozens of posts you will have to hide, some of which you have replied.

Anyway you've read what I wrote, please consider it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

Fisherman Catches Crab With Osama Bin Laden's Face / The Zone! / 18-Seater Bus Involved In Accident On Bida-Minna Road, People Dead (Graphic Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.