Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,236 members, 7,815,313 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:40 AM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (191) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (517857 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 9:12am On Sep 06, 2014
Happy birthday Rich4God,wishing u many more prosperous birthdays to come
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 06, 2014
FrancisTony I read a bit of your diary...YES I DID!!!

Now what's all that Deist nonsense?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 2:44pm On Sep 06, 2014
striktlymi: FrancisTony I read a bit of your diary...YES I DID!!!

Now what's all that Deist nonsense?

Just thinking aloud. sad
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 2:48pm On Sep 06, 2014
FrancisTony:

Just thinking aloud. sad

Okay, let's think aloud together.

What's the attraction in Deism?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 2:54pm On Sep 06, 2014
striktlymi:

Okay, let's think aloud together.

What's the attraction in Deism?

Some biblical inconsistency, some laws etc

...but, I still believe 'God' do exist. smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 3:01pm On Sep 06, 2014
FrancisTony:

Some biblical inconsistency, some laws etc

...but, I still believe 'God' do exist. smiley

Fair enough but that really does not explain the attraction. Let the 'inconsistencies' hang on a bit.

Why the choice of Deism and not something else apart from Atheism?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 3:04pm On Sep 06, 2014
striktlymi:

Fair enough but that really does not explain the attraction. Let the 'inconsistencies' hang on a bit.

Why the choice of Deism and not something else apart from Atheism?

I still believe in God.

If you read my yesterday update, you'll know and I have numerous thing(s) that God has done for me. smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 3:12pm On Sep 06, 2014
FrancisTony:

I still believe in God.

If you read my yesterday update, you'll know and I have numerous thing(s) that God has done for me. smiley

Your belief in God for now seems not to be in doubt for now but if you can have an issue with your present faith, why do you think you won't get up one morning and tell yourself that all you thought God did for you was all hogwash? That you achieved them yourself?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 3:19pm On Sep 06, 2014
striktlymi:

Your belief in God for now seems not to be in doubt for now but if you can have an issue with your present faith, why do you think you won't get up one morning and tell yourself that all you thought God did for you was all hogwash? That you achieved them yourself?

Like I said, it's thought(s) going through my mind.

I am still a 'theist' not yet 'Deist'.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 3:36pm On Sep 06, 2014
FrancisTony:

Like I said, it's thought(s) going through my mind.

I am still a 'theist' not yet 'Deist'.

Deism is a subset of Theism. Anyways, I know you are getting a bit uncomfortable with my questions but one thing I know how to do, is being a pest. It would be quicker if we get this out of the way now or I become your shadow.

Jokes apart....

The Faith you have currently (The Catholic faith) is something priceless. I will not trade it for anything. You may not know but I did not start out as a Catholic. My parents were pagans. I was a pagan but chose to be Christian. Not just any form of Christianity...I chose to be a Catholic.

Sorry, I will have to get back to you...having a conversation with my dad.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 3:43pm On Sep 06, 2014
^^

Alright! I am waiting. Thanks
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 4:30pm On Sep 06, 2014
FrancisTony: ^^

Alright! I am waiting. Thanks

Okay, I am back.

My choice of Catholicism was not because I couldn't have chosen some other Religious group that are 'more inviting' or some random irreligious group. I chose Catholicism because I am 100% convinced that it is the way God intends for every human. The way I express my Catholic beliefs though may be a bit uncanny but the substance is ALWAYS Catholic.

I am one who does not break a sweat about peeps leaving the Catholic church but in your case, I feel the need to at least have this conversation. Francis, matters of the soul are not things we should take lightly. Given up your Catholic faith can be likened to a man who sells an Oil field for a few million dollars. Guy it is not worth it.

If you eventually act on you thoughts, what place would our blessed Mother Mary have in your new found faith? You have been one of the vocal Catholics in the section. Would it be right to say that you say stuff you don't believe in? I understand the need for one to examine his/her beliefs at intervals but this 'retreat' should make us stronger.

Fallen back to Deism will not make you strong. Do not be deceived by the arguments self acclaimed Deists and Atheists put up here. For the most part, they are all academic and an attempt to look cool. I wasn't impressed when you neglected your brethren here and decided to seek counsel from those who are not Catholics. What really do you expect, if not more confusion?

If you have a challenge with whatever it is that is written in Sacred scriptures, it really does not hurt to ask that question here. I understand that some of the response may be a bit 'high handed' or an attempt at patronizing you but beyond that would be a sincere attempt at helping a brother. Guy, it's time for you to come home to your family and treat this little glitch.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 4:41pm On Sep 06, 2014
striktlymi:

Okay, I am back.

My choice of Catholicism was not because I couldn't have chosen some other Religious group that are 'more inviting' or some random irreligious group. I chose Catholicism because I am 100% convinced that it is the way God intends for every human. The way I express my Catholic beliefs though may be a bit uncanny but the substance is ALWAYS Catholic.

I am one who does not break a sweat about peeps leaving the Catholic church but in your case, I feel the need to at least have this conversation. Francis, matters of the soul are not things we should take lightly. Given up your Catholic faith can be likened to a man who sells an Oil field for a few million dollars. Guy it is not worth it.

If you eventually act on you thoughts, what place would our blessed Mother Mary have in your new found faith? You have been one of the vocal Catholics in the section. Would it be right to say that you say stuff you don't believe in? I understand the need for one to examine his/her beliefs at intervals but this 'retreat' should make us stronger.

Fallen back to Deism will not make you strong. Do not be deceived by the arguments self acclaimed Deists and Atheists put up here. For the most part, they are all academic and an attempt to look cool. I wasn't impressed when you neglected your brethren here and decided to seek counsel from those who are not Catholics. What really do you expect, if not more confusion?

If you have a challenge with whatever it is that is written in Sacred scriptures, it really does not hurt to ask that question here. I understand that some of the response may be a bit 'high handed' or an attempt at patronizing you but beyond that would be a sincere attempt at helping a brother. Guy, it's time for you to come home to your family and treat this little glitch.

Oops! Thanks though. But, people I mentioned on my dairy, some are Catholics.

At Bolded, you should have noticed I don't argue any longer on religion section. sad Didn't you?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 4:45pm On Sep 06, 2014
FrancisTony:

Oops! Thanks though. But, people I mentioned on my dairy, some are Catholics.

At Bolded, you should have noticed I don't argue any longer on religion section. sad Didn't you?

What exactly is the ish with Sacred scriptures? What verses don't you agree with or are confused about?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 06, 2014
striktlymi:

What exactly is the ish with Sacred scriptures? What verses don't you agree with or are confused about?

At first, it wasn't about Bible but I felt that those arguments are unnecessary.

I can't really say about what I don't agree. I am not a deist yet. smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 4:55pm On Sep 06, 2014
FrancisTony:

At first, it wasn't about Bible but I felt that those arguments are unnecessary.

I can't really say about what I don't agree. I am not a deist yet. smiley

I know you are not a deist yet but a seed has been sown. It may not germinate and sprout today but tomorrow it may take root and cause some problems if not addressed today.

From your diary, you seem to have a problem with the various Religions, their definitions of what is sin and who ultimately makes it to 'eldorado'. Would I be correct to say you have a challenge with the teachings of Hell and Heaven?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 5:16pm On Sep 06, 2014
chukwudi44: Happy birthday Rich4God,wishing u many more prosperous birthdays to come
Thanks alot my brother... Good day everyone...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 5:25pm On Sep 06, 2014
striktlymi:

I know you are not a deist yet but a seed has been sown. It may not germinate and sprout today but tomorrow it may take root and cause some problems if not addressed today.

From your diary, you seem to have a problem with the various Religions, their definitions of what is sin and who ultimately makes it to 'eldorado'. Would I be correct to say you have a challenge with the teachings of Hell and Heaven?

95% of human population has the challenge but hypocrisy is a .......... lipsrsealed
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 6:11pm On Sep 06, 2014
FrancisTony:

95% of human population has the challenge but hypocrisy is a .......... lipsrsealed

The worship of God shouldn't be about our expectations for the life after.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 7:52pm On Sep 06, 2014
striktlymi:

The worship of God shouldn't be about our expectations for the life after.

What's the essence of worshipping, when a little uncontrollable sin by an imperfect man he created lead him to eternal damnation?

*Guess, I don't suppose to be asking this question*

#Sad embarassed sad

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 8:15pm On Sep 06, 2014
FrancisTony:

What's the essence of worshipping, when a little uncontrollable sin by an imperfect man he created lead him to eternal damnation?

*Guess, I don't suppose to be asking this question*

#Sad embarassed sad

No one can go to hell because of a "little uncontrollable sin". People go to hell because of one or more 'big controllable sins'. No one who sincerely want to serve God and does all that grace permits to avoid sin, will be cast down to eternal banishment.

I suspect you are getting a number of teachings very wrong. God is not like LASMA. He does not prey on the innocence of those he calls children. If God can show mercy and understanding to people who know him not when they unwittingly do wrong, how much more would he not do for those who try sincerely to show him love?

I repeat, it is impossible for one to face eternal condemnation for a sin that is not grave and done without our full consent.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 8:17pm On Sep 06, 2014
babestell:

Stimulating discussion on issues some people are not aware of may not be as fruitful as you wish. It would been nice to start of with a definition, set a context in terms of current realities and then open the floor for discussions. I had to read through all the comments before someone defined relativ in a reply.

Its not a topic am familiar with but from the responses it appears to be something I should be aware of because in my quest to achieve world domination, i will run into situations where my understanding of what it entails to be a grin relative grin will help me make the right descisions

sorry don't mind me...
Relativism is about the rejection of absolute Truth and basing truth upon preception.

I'll try and present my questions differently next time.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 8:19pm On Sep 06, 2014
striktlymi:

No one can go to hell because of a "little uncontrollable sin". People go to hell because of one or more 'big controllable sins'. No one who sincerely want to serve God and does all that grace permits to avoid sin, will be cast down to eternal banishment.

I suspect you are getting a number of teachings very wrong. God is not like LASMA. He does not prey on the innocence of those he calls children. If God can show mercy and understanding to people who know him not when they unwittingly do wrong, how much more would he not do for those who try sincerely to show him love?

I repeat, it is impossible for one to face eternal condemnation for a sin that is not grave and done without our full consent.

true!
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 9:02pm On Sep 06, 2014
striktlymi:

Oops, my bad! smiley

I was speaking from protestant point of view.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 9:07pm On Sep 06, 2014
FrancisTony:

Oops, my bad! smiley

I was speaking from protestant point of view.

You protestant now?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 9:15pm On Sep 06, 2014
striktlymi:

You protestant now?
lol... was about asking him same thing.... I like the way you responded to him...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 9:17pm On Sep 06, 2014
striktlymi:

You protestant now?

No or should I say 'YES'?, Even before joining Nairaland. sad
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 9:22pm On Sep 06, 2014
FrancisTony:

No or should I say 'YES'?, Even before joining Nairaland. sad

Let me get this straight. You dabbled between Catholicism and Protestantism before nairaland and still went ahead to argue for Catholicism? A bit confused here.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 9:56pm On Sep 06, 2014
striktlymi:

Let me get this straight. You dabbled between Catholicism and Protestantism before nairaland and still went ahead to argue for Catholicism? A bit confused here.

Okay. Let me make you understand.

I was born and bred as a Catholic. I left to stay with my Uncle when I was 13year old(trust me, you don't wanna know the reason angryangry)

He was also born a Catholic but converted to Protestantism.

Okay! I was already deep rooted in Catholicism that nothing would let me go. I always lead in Block Rosary during prayer of Rosary. I received holy communion and did Confirmation at the age of 9 and 11 respectively. smiley

Now, my uncle forced me to his church. I never told anyone I do attend Protestant church while in high school because I never liked it a bit.

Same thing until I graduated in 2012 and joined Nairaland in 2013. Till date, I don't like Protestantism and I do attend it. sad
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 5:36am On Sep 07, 2014
FrancisTony:

Okay. Let me make you understand.

I was born and bred as a Catholic. I left to stay with my Uncle when I was 13year old(trust me, you don't wanna know the reason angryangry)

He was also born a Catholic but converted to Protestantism.

Okay! I was already deep rooted in Catholicism that nothing would let me go. I always lead in Block Rosary during prayer of Rosary. I received holy communion and did Confirmation at the age of 9 and 11 respectively. smiley

Now, my uncle forced me to his church. I never told anyone I do attend Protestant church while in high school because I never liked it a bit.

Same thing until I graduated in 2012 and joined Nairaland in 2013. Till date, I don't like Protestantism and I do attend it. sad

Oh, now I remember the story. I believe I saw a thread some time last year where you talked about it. Your case, sadly is what a lot of Catholic children are facing today. I believe I understand now.

You were. A Catholic from childhood, protestant in your teens though still Catholic at heart but you are now considering being a Deist by choice.

If you can make a decision to be Deist can't it be said that you can also make the decision to remain Catholic irrespective of what your uncle thinks?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by AbdulSleek(m): 5:43am On Sep 07, 2014
Interesting.

(1) (2) (3) ... (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) (194) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.