Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,793 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:34 PM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (63) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (519127 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 11:07am On Dec 17, 2013
italo: I dont entirely agree with your 2nd & 3rd paragraph.

What "individual quality" could be more important than the content and state of one's soul.

I'd rather not marry one who can endanger the souls of ourselves and our innocent children.

I'd rather not marry one who will refuse to accept the Church's teaching on issues like NFP only, no contraception, no condom etc...

...one who will tell my kids that Mary is an idol.

It's not discrimination. It's simply saying: 'I love you as a child of God but I don't think it's best I marry you.'

Your concern was addressed by the fourth paragraph in my post on the matter.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 11:14am On Dec 17, 2013
1corinthians 7:12-14

To the rest is say (i, not the lord ) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. For unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is they are holy .

My questions are:

Do the catholic church acknowledges the fact that an unbeliever can be save??
If YES, can you marry an atheist

Dnt 4gt that love is strong when anwering the second question grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 11:21am On Dec 17, 2013
woky: 1corinthians 7:12-14

To the rest is say (i, not the lord ) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. For unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is they are holy .

My questions are:

Do the catholic church acknowledges the fact that an unbeliever can be save??
If YES, can you marry an atheist

Dnt 4gt that love is strong when anwering the second question grin

Of course, the Catholic Church teaches that anyone of any religious belief can be saved if he sincerely doesn't know Catholicism to be the fullness of truth.

...And a Catholic is allowed to marry any human being of the opposite sex who is not married to another person.

Only, the Catholic Church doesnt encourage inter-faith marriages for obvious reasons.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 11:27am On Dec 17, 2013
italo: Still on the 'mixed-marriage issue.'

I would do everything humanly possible to marry a Catholic and avoid marrying a non-Catholic...but if it is God's will that i marry even an Atheist, so be it.

Hmmm...what are those things you consider "humanly possible"?

italo:
Here are some of my reasons for preferring a Catholic at all costs.

A faithful Catholic sees marriage as indissoluble but many other sects: some protestants, Atheists etc dont have a problem with divorce. E.g Chris Okotie. So if i marry one of them and she divorces me in court, i'll be in a dilemma because i'd still be married to her in the eyes of the Church.

First question: Who is a faithful Catholic?

Second question: How does a Catholic single determine whether an individual will continue being a 'faithful Catholic'? I have seen cases where people who have been 'champions' of the faith lose faith.

italo:
A non-Catholic wife is very likely to teach the kids things that are contrary to the faith...and outright sinful.

There have been cases where some Catholic mothers have advised their girl-children to commit abortion and some other acts condemned by the Church. Your concern here is not just perculiar to those who are not Catholics, it cuts across.

italo:
A faithful Catholic will increase my faith while a non-Catholic might even weaken it...knowingly or unknowingly.

There are many more+

I still have an ish with your use of "faithful Catholic" for two reasons, as I mentioned before: 1) Who is a Faithful Catholic? 2) How does one tell for sure that the 'faithful Catholic' won't turn out an enemy of the Church later on?

I still maintain that the way it should go is by assessing the individual as a person and not give him or her any undue advantage based on Religion or creed. If our focus is on whether the individual is Catholic or not then we might end up making a mistake in our choice of a life partner.

I re-iterate, Catholics are expected to cherish their faith for its awesomeness and anyone chosen by the Catholic single should be one that understands and respect this faith which naturally should extend to the kids.

If in the cause of this personal evaluation of the candidate, we find out that we cannot accept the individual's beliefs and vise versa, then it is left for us to look elsewhere. It is not worth it to be with someone who cannot respect your beliefs or whose beliefs you cannot respect.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 11:32am On Dec 17, 2013
shizzle11: ^Very true!
Catholics hold marriage in high esteem and we don't get to see divorce cases as is the case with protestants. We discourage divorce and that's why we have marriage and counseling units in every parish.

I do not agree!

The incidence of divorce in Catholic homes is a growing threat. We see Catholic ministers who grant divorce under the guise of annulment. Granted, in general the Church condemns this act in the strongest possible terms but still there seem to be a disconnect between what the Church Teaches and what some members (Clergy and Laity) decide to do.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 11:39am On Dec 17, 2013
italo:

Of course, the Catholic Church teaches that anyone of any religious belief can be saved if he sincerely doesn't know Catholicism to be the fullness of truth.

...And a Catholic is allowed to marry any human being of the opposite sex who is not married to another person.

Only, the Catholic Church doesnt encourage inter-faith marriages for obvious reasons.
the catholic church doesnt encourage inter-faith marriages thus doesnt condemn it aswell.. What are their vital reasons for not encouraging inter-faith marriages??
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 11:53am On Dec 17, 2013
saint52, why standing on the fence please fall in!
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 12:04pm On Dec 17, 2013
where is Pope
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 12:28pm On Dec 17, 2013
woky: the catholic church doesnt encourage inter-faith marriages thus doesnt condemn it aswell.. What are their vital reasons for not encouraging inter-faith marriages??

I believe the major concern for the Church is the loss of faith for both the individual getting married and the kids.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 12:32pm On Dec 17, 2013
striktlymi:

I believe the major concern for the Church is the loss of faith for both the individual getting married and the kids.
Oga stryk, u need to begin the awards o. cheesy
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 1:41pm On Dec 17, 2013
aManFromMars:

I am ready to continue work on the awards but my fear is that someone may over rule the decisions of the majority. That I won't take and may be forced to respond in a less than gentlemanly manner.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 2:49pm On Dec 17, 2013
striktlymi:

stil on this your "faithful catholic" matter.. Lol
tho its said that the church wil always requires the catholic party to be faithful to his or her faith..

as for/to the kids..

He or she wil promise to do all in his or her power to have their children beptized and raised in the catholic faith..

Anyways, i some how agree with you point because reverse could be the case as to what the church requires for the catholic party
Re: A Thread For Catholics by debbie(f): 3:06pm On Dec 17, 2013
Interesting topic......Comes in,peeps through the window,listens to the gist going on cheesy,about to talk, hears footsteps,runs back to my work......will be back to say my own grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 3:20pm On Dec 17, 2013
debbie: Interesting topic......Comes in,peeps through the window,listens to the gist going on cheesy,about to talk, hears footsteps,runs back to my work......will be back to say my own grin
Lol

thou shall not peep grin grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 3:30pm On Dec 17, 2013
woky: Lol

thou shall not peep grin grin
Is it a crime to peep

Me sef just peepedwink
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 3:32pm On Dec 17, 2013
aManFromMars:
Hmmm
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 3:53pm On Dec 17, 2013
Sal C: Is it a crime to peep

Me sef just peepedwink
lolz

Peeping is not a crime oo
jst that peepin here is prohibited, says Pope grin

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Freddestiny(f): 4:07pm On Dec 17, 2013
About the issue of mix marriage, I can't marry somebody who is not a catholic nd I hv rejected so many men for marriage cause dey r not catholics.most of dem don't care cause am a woman nd dey will say woman does not have church. I am consecrated to Jesus Christ through the Blessed Virgin Mary so am always with the brown scapular nd imagine a man dat wants to date u is alrdy saying dat I will leave the catholic church. I can't marry a man dat will tell I can't pray d rosary cause he feels am worshiping idol so I will rather stick with the catholics so I agree with POPE nd Italo

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 4:20pm On Dec 17, 2013
Freddestiny: About the issue of mix marriage, I can't marry somebody who is not a catholic nd I hv rejected so many men for marriage cause dey r not catholics.most of dem don't care cause am a woman nd dey will say woman does not have church. I am consecrated to Jesus Christ through the Blessed Virgin Mary so am always with the brown scapular nd imagine a man dat wants to date u is alrdy saying dat I will leave the catholic church. I can't marry a man dat will tell I can't pray d rosary cause he feels am worshiping idol so I will rather stick with the catholics so I agree with POPE nd Italo
ther are some non-catholic that doesnt condemn the catholic faith and her teachinz, if such should ask for ur hand in marriage, will you accept??
Re: A Thread For Catholics by damerry(m): 4:58pm On Dec 17, 2013
Greetings. God bless us all.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 5:04pm On Dec 17, 2013
damerry: Greetings. God bless us all.
Amen

u take style scars dis day o

BTW.. whr is Syncan
Re: A Thread For Catholics by damerry(m): 5:37pm On Dec 17, 2013
woky: Amen

u take style scars dis day o

BTW.. whr is Syncan
yes o. Combining work + studies ain't dat easy 4 me. Sha i dey peep on una 4rm tym 2 tym and dey try draw other Catholics to dis carban.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Freddestiny(f): 6:02pm On Dec 17, 2013
woky: ther are some non-catholic that doesnt condemn the catholic faith and her teachinz, if such should ask for ur hand in marriage, will you accept??
No I won't marry the person still sorry my own is dat bad oooo if a guy is not a catholic plzz d person shld not waste his time cool
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 6:04pm On Dec 17, 2013
Sal C: Hmmm

Hey Sal.

Tuale to all of una, I dey hail o.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 6:33pm On Dec 17, 2013
Freddestiny: No I won't marry the person still sorry my own is dat bad oooo if a guy is not a catholic plzz d person shld not waste his time cool
chai
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Freddestiny(f): 6:38pm On Dec 17, 2013
Lol
woky: chai
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 6:49pm On Dec 17, 2013
uben, i hope you won't peep and run
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 7:16pm On Dec 17, 2013
I on fit run na. This is a very delicate topic and both differing opinions may be right depending on perspective. One is attracted to what he is attracted to, there is no way to rationalise that away, and yet ideas and concepts actually rule our lives to a large extent. Permit me to address d topic using myself as d subject. I'll probably date anyone i'm attracted to, bt marriage is so interesting, you need d other half to compliment you not alway pull u down. This puts a non-catholic spouse in an interesting/unfavourable position. I'll probably marry a non-catholic if we can find a way to work out our differences in faith. There are so many variables in dis issue. What i'm sure of is that i can't marry one who despises my faith. U don happy now?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 7:16pm On Dec 17, 2013
Freddestiny: Lol
God will grant you ur hrt desire in Jesus name
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 7:20pm On Dec 17, 2013
[quote author=Ubenedictus]I on fit run na. This is a very delicate topic and both differing opinions may be right depending on perspective. One is attracted to what he is attracted to, there is no way to rationalise that away, and yet ideas and concepts actually rule our lives to a large extent. Permit me to address d topic using myself as d subject. I'll probably date anyone i'm attracted to, bt marriage is so interesting, you need d other half to compliment you not alway pull u down. This puts a non-catholic spouse in an interesting/unfavourable position. I'll probably marry a non-catholic if we can find a way to work out our differences in faith. There are so many variables in dis issue. What i'm sure of is that i can't marry one who despises my faith. U don happy now?[/quote

]lol

i happy o
Re: A Thread For Catholics by POPEII: 8:43pm On Dec 17, 2013
Lovely lovely. Sorry guys I have been very busy I will catch up tomorrow, interesting topic we have .meanwhile Sal c I'm still waiting your answer. Abi r u married with a non Catholic grin grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 8:45pm On Dec 17, 2013
POPE II: Lovely lovely. Sorry guys I have been very busy I will catch up tomorrow, interesting topic we have .meanwhile Sal c I'm still waiting your answer. Abi r u married with a non Catholic grin grin
grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.