Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,713 members, 7,809,704 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:34 PM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (64) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (517010 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 8:47pm On Dec 17, 2013
striktlymi:

Hmmm...what are those things you consider "humanly possible"?
I think we both know. In a nutshell, I will actively seek a Catholic and avoid anything serious with a non-Catholic.

I am actually open to marrying one who will become Catholic but I dont think I want to even contemplate marriage to one who is not a Catholic and will not become one.

First question: Who is a faithful Catholic?

At this rate you'll probably ask God who's "perfect" or "holy" since he refers to men as holy and urges us to be perfect.[/quote]
Let me just say that I consider a faithful Catholic to be one who is doing a good job staying true to the Catholic faith.
striktlymi: Second question: How does a Catholic single determine whether an individual will continue being a 'faithful Catholic'? I have seen cases where people who have been 'champions' of the faith lose faith.
The objective is not to be certain of the future conduct of your spouse. The objective is to do all you reasonably can to place the faith of your family in good hands. I and the Church believe it is more logical and reasonable to count on one who has been a Catholic than one who, for example, is an Atheist.

When you want to enroll your kids in school, will you take them to a school known for poor standards because 'you have seen cases where good schools have gone bad?'

Will you knowingly have your family travel in a vehicle that looks poorly maintained and with bad tyres because 'you have seen cases where brand new cars had fatal accidents?'

I dont think so.

If you can be so careful with their minds and bodies, shouldn't you be far more careful with their souls?
striktlymi:
There have been cases where some Catholic mothers have advised their girl-children to commit abortion and some other acts condemned by the Church. Your concern here is not just perculiar to those who are not Catholics, it cuts across.
That is why I said "very likely." I'm not trying to say that all Catholics do the right things all the time. However, I believe a Catholic is far more likely to propagate the faith to the children (with my co-operation) than a non-Catholic.

Regarding your example, I prefer to have a Catholic wife do that than have a non-Catholic wife do that. With a Catholic wife, it would likely be easier for the kids and I to bring her to order.
striktlymi: I still have an ish with your use of "faithful Catholic" for two reasons, as I mentioned before: 1) Who is a Faithful Catholic? 2) How does one tell for sure that the 'faithful Catholic' won't turn out an enemy of the Church later on?
The Apostles chose faithful men like Stephen as deacons. They couldn't tell for sure if those men wouldn't become enemies of the Church. Still, picking faithful men was the sensible and moral thing to do.
striktlymi: I still maintain that the way it should go is by assessing the individual as a person and not give him or her any undue advantage based on Religion or creed. If our focus is on whether the individual is Catholic or not then we might end up making a mistake in our choice of a life partner.
1. How can you access an individual and leave out the content and state of his soul... His relationship and standing with God. Do you not think that the soul is the most important part of the person? Do you not see that something is fundamentally wrong there?

2. You have been asking how I can tell that a person will remain faithful to the Church. What then is the use of your assessment of the individual when you cannot also tell if the qualities you assesed will be permanent?
striktlymi: I re-iterate, Catholics are expected to cherish their faith for its awesomeness and anyone chosen by the Catholic single should be one that understands and respect this faith which naturally should extend to the kids.
Experience has shown that this is easier said than done. Any non-Catholic who loves me is likely to promise not to hinder the Catholic upbringing of our children...but can they really stick to this all their lives?

How easy is it for a Catholic wife in Africa to tell her Mountain of Fire husband that the kids will attend Catholic mass every single Sunday?

Let's be realistic...
striktlymi: If in the cause of this personal evaluation of the candidate, we find out that we cannot accept the individual's beliefs and vise versa, then it is left for us to look elsewhere. It is not worth it to be with someone who cannot respect your beliefs or whose beliefs you cannot respect.

Experience has taught the Church that many only come to realize this after years of marriage...when the initial raging fire of love and desire have died down a bit.

...and that is the catastrophe the Church always seeks to avoid.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 8:48pm On Dec 17, 2013
POPE II: Lovely lovely. Sorry guys I have been very busy I will catch up tomorrow, interesting topic we have .meanwhile Sal c I'm still waiting your answer. Abi r u married with a non Catholic grin grin
Sal.C fit don marry non-catholic o grin grin grin

but e no bad shaa
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Harmvirus(f): 8:59pm On Dec 17, 2013
Good evening y'all.what is happening here?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 9:01pm On Dec 17, 2013
striktlymi:

I do not agree!

The incidence of divorce in Catholic homes is a growing threat. We see Catholic ministers who grant divorce under the guise of annulment. Granted, in general the Church condemns this act in the strongest possible terms but still there seem to be a disconnect between what the Church Teaches and what some members (Clergy and Laity) decide to do.

Divorce doesn't exist in the Catholic Church. At least we can agree that is a fact.

An annulment is just that. An annulment.

Perhaps, it is up to you to prove that a considerable number or ratio of annulment cases were only divorces in disguise.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:11pm On Dec 17, 2013
woky: Sal.C fit don marry non-catholic o grin grin grin

but e no bad shaa
grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:14pm On Dec 17, 2013
Harmvirus: Good evening y'all.what is happening here?
Good evening sister, we are talking about you as a Catholic marrying a non catholic.
Your input is needed.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 9:14pm On Dec 17, 2013
Harmvirus: Good evening y'all.what is happening here?
nothing oo

long time!
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 9:24pm On Dec 17, 2013
woky: the catholic church doesnt encourage inter-faith marriages thus doesnt condemn it aswell.. What are their vital reasons for not encouraging inter-faith marriages??

1. For us, marriage is a sacrament. It was designed by God to join man and woman in unitive love and bring children into the world.

Administering the sacrament to one who doesn't believe these or has little regard for it is a desecration of the sacrament...just like administering communion to a Protestant or a Muslim.

2. Why bring kids into the world and have them led straight into error?

Etc...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Harmvirus(f): 12:06am On Dec 18, 2013
Sal C: Good evening sister, we are talking about you as a Catholic marrying a non catholic.
Your input is needed.
On a personal note,I wouldn't like to marry a non-catholic because I am someone that so much believe in the holy mass and the power of the Eucharist.it is some thing that I wouldn't like to leave. Although I have been to some churches buh while there, I was soo uncomfortable. I didn't feel at home.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 12:14am On Dec 18, 2013
Good Morning Sirs and Ma. 2nd to comment!
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 12:16am On Dec 18, 2013
Hi FrancisTony what's your view about the current discussion?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 6:57am On Dec 18, 2013
Sal C: Hi FrancisTony what's your view about the current discussion?
errmmm *scratchesHead* only for adults Ma.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 7:11am On Dec 18, 2013
FrancisTony: errmmm *scratchesHead* only for adults Ma.
See dis MAN ooo grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 7:13am On Dec 18, 2013
italo:

1. For us, marriage is a sacrament. It was designed by God to join man and woman in unitive love and bring children into the world.

Administering the sacrament to one who doesn't believe these or has little regard for it is a desecration of the sacrament...just like administering communion to a Protestant or a Muslim.

2. Why bring kids into the world and have them led straight into error?

Etc...
u ar ryt

marring a catholic wil save a lot of strex

jst made my point ^^
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 7:57am On Dec 18, 2013
woky: See dis MAN ooo grin
I'm serious Sir!!
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 8:03am On Dec 18, 2013
FrancisTony: I'm serious Sir!!
papa sinedu wat ar u tryin to say grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 8:34am On Dec 18, 2013
woky: papa sinedu wat ar u tryin to say grin
Papa chinedu kor, papa chinedu ni. LOL, Marriage discussion is for adults i.e people above 20.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 8:39am On Dec 18, 2013
Good morning brethren, a pleasant day to us all.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 8:40am On Dec 18, 2013
FrancisTony: Papa chinedu kor, papa chinedu ni. LOL, Marriage discussion is for adults i.e people above 20.
Hmm
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 8:43am On Dec 18, 2013
FrancisTony: Papa chinedu kor, papa chinedu ni. LOL, Marriage discussion is for adults i.e people above 20.
look at this man oo

abegi, hw ya wife joor??
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 9:07am On Dec 18, 2013
woky: look at this man oo

abegi, hw ya wife joor??
Lol, wife ke. I'm not even up to 18. Hehee..
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 9:08am On Dec 18, 2013
Sal C: Hmm
hmm's
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:13am On Dec 18, 2013
Please I have a question

What is the official teaching of the Catholic Church as regards to rapture?

Pope's question on inter-faith marriage is still on.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:17am On Dec 18, 2013
@POPEII when you come on-line please remind me, I have a question for you. After your answer to the question, others will also throw more light to it.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by MrAladin: 10:15am On Dec 18, 2013
Una Morning Morning Oooooooo..

How Una Nite?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Freddestiny(f): 10:30am On Dec 18, 2013
Amen
woky: God will grant you ur hrt desire in Jesus name
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 2:25pm On Dec 18, 2013
Sal C: Abeg where Syncan dey?

woky: Amen

u take style scars dis day o

BTW.. whr is Syncan

I'm Present, brothers and sisters!

A combination of natural factors such as location, cares and concerns hindered me briefly, but I've never been far away. There's been quite a lot here...will go through and make my contribution soon. So nice to be actively involved again. Woky got your mail, responded but it was returned undelivered.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law". Galatians 5:22-23. It is visible here. God bless you all.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 2:41pm On Dec 18, 2013
Syncan:

I'm Present, brothers and sisters!

A combination of natural factors such as location, cares and concerns hindered me briefly, but I've never been far away. There's been quite a lot here...will go through and make my contribution soon. So nice to be actively involved again. Woky got your mail, responded but it was returned undelivered.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law". Galatians 5:22-23. It is visible here. God bless you all.
Welcome back brother. Good to have you back.

God bless you too.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 2:44pm On Dec 18, 2013
Sal C: Welcome back brother. Good to have you back.

God bless you too.

Thanks Sal C, your warmth is like a bonding catalyst on this thread.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by POPEII: 3:17pm On Dec 18, 2013
striktlymi:

I am quick to speak out against any form of perceived or actual descrimination because it is quite wrong to see first, one's creed, culture, Religious or Irreligious affiliation etc before seeing the individual as a human being.

We are one under God and based on this premise, it would be grossly unfair to ask a Catholic single to base his or her assessment of a future spouse on whether the individual is a Catholic or not.

Our assessment of a future spouse should be based strictly on the individual's qualities and not his private orientation because a good husband or wife will NEVER deprive you of that which you hold dear.

The most Holy faith we share as Catholics is a gift that each one of us should cherish. Anyone who tries to deprive us from this gift can't be said to be a great marital candidate; just as we are not supposed to deprive people of what they hold dear.

Thus, assessing an individual for marriage based on the Catholic way could be done without necessarily descriminating the individual on the grounds of the individual's religious or irreligious affiliation.
this politician sef, okay take it this way you have xcatholic and ynoncatholic , they are both "perfect" meaning they all have what you look for in a future wife Nd both are very endowed who are you to choose? And why ?
This time you can't beat around the Bush and stay neutral grin tongue

I don't want to raise another debate, but I don't think having preferences is a form of discrimination esp personal preferences which do not affect anyone but you .
Re: A Thread For Catholics by POPEII: 3:22pm On Dec 18, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
Even my mom still harmers on it.....you should try to marry a Catholic.
Then I keep telling her......you dont know whom God has destined for me. supposing he's a non-catholic, should i now obey my mom and disobey God?
we are alll sons and daughters of God. I think some people needs to understand that more..
God can inspire or guide you but you still have the last word it is called freewill. So by obeying your mum you don't necessarily disobey him , it was already written that you will marry a Catholic grin cheesy cheesy

And yes we are all his children, however some of us are on the wrong path and thou shall not join them except if they are willing to change, you can fall in love with a non Catholic, but your duty is to make him embrace Catholicism and get married in the holy mother church
Re: A Thread For Catholics by POPEII: 3:22pm On Dec 18, 2013
woky: hmmmmm..
don't mind our politician cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.