Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,058 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:27 AM

G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme (7436 Views)

World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy / Syntek Global Nigeria- Distributors And Marketers Needed All Over Nigeria / Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by omoalare: 8:01pm On Jun 30, 2008
I was amazed at the number of optist in the house. Its realy a pity seeing us rubbishing ourselves. Do we believe we can ever achieve anything for ourselves? Country like Ghana, India etc are not better than Nigeria in the areas you press your fears.
The G8 are only interested on where will they sell their genereators and what Nigeria can achieve economically if it solves its power problem. We have lists of Nigerians in diaspora who are experts in this fields who will be happy to support their fatherland.
Dear Nairalanders please wake up the G8 are not fighting your cause, they are concerned about their investments and economic gains.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by Uche2nna(m): 8:32pm On Jun 30, 2008
omoalare:

The G8 are only interested on where will they sell their genereators

So by extension, it is the G8 that is responsible for the incessant power outtage in Nigeria. shocked Orishirishi.

omoalare:

and what Nigeria can achieve economically[b] if [/b] it solves its power problem. We have

Who is stopping Nigeria from solving its power problems? The G8 I suppose undecided

omoalare:

We have lists of Nigerians in diaspora who are experts in this fields who will be happy to support their fatherland.

Just as we have Nigerians in Medicine, Communication, Finance, Biotechnology, Military etc. How did that help these sectors? undecided If the environment is stifling, then there is very little you can do. Ask Dora Akunyili and Ngozi Okonji-Iweala.

omoalare:

Dear Nairalanders please wake up the G8 are not fighting your cause, they are concerned about their investments and economic gains.

Yeah, right!!!! I wonder where they would enjoy the dividend of thier investment if some corrupt fool in Nigeria ends up blowing up the world via crass mismangement and carelessness. Me thinks thats one potential outcome if Nigeria starts messing around with radioisotopes. And I want to believe that this what is more on the mind of the G8 members rather than thier so called investments.

Your point migth be a little valid if U can convince me that Nigeria would know what to do with Nuclear wastes. This is a country that has not fashioned a scheme to efficiently deal with its solid waste and sewage. Last I checked, used pure water bags are almost taking over the landscape.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by presido1: 8:35pm On Jun 30, 2008
Na so Nigeria wan take end?
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by nazzyon(m): 8:39pm On Jun 30, 2008
Ever since I have learnt about G8, I have known that it is just a conspiratorial strategy to prevent some country from moving up and leaving up to their dreams.

D only thing I seem to know is that they put too much emphasis on a particular issue. Giving it a picture view with which they want the world to see it.

Nigeria should just look for another source to tap the power. I wouldn't want countries like Goddamn US and Britain painting my country the colour it doesn't portray.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by asamuel: 8:42pm On Jun 30, 2008
which dream? we have not succeeded in giving Nigerians light. We cannot solve Niger delta wahala. We are going NUCLEAR. Is that not empty dream? At the end of this regime, Billions of Naira would go NUCLEAR without anything to show for it. We know how to create avenues for siphoning money in Nigeria.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by LASIEFAIRE(m): 8:43pm On Jun 30, 2008
I fear for Nigeria, Nigerians. One can look at the aviation industry and shake ones head in disapproval. Safety and Maintenance in this country is nonexistent. All the tattered stadiums, collapsed building, falling airplanes, blocked sewage, cow infested runways and other maintenance issue that the government and the people have failed to carry out have been catastrophic but it wont come close to the disaster this program can melt on us. Ikeja bomb blast, Families are still trying to recover from that,  Olorun ma je to lo je Nuclear. Russia, Siberia and it environs can tell you about the damage.
Forget G8 we self suppose they fear.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by kam27(m): 10:33pm On Jun 30, 2008
If this is really true, then may her (Nigeria) soul [b]R[/b]est [b]I[/b]n [b]P[/b]eace.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by EastnEuSis(f): 11:11pm On Jun 30, 2008
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by NINETOFIVE(m): 11:21pm On Jun 30, 2008
GOD, how could people be so dumb, and you all are complaning about NEPA, for you to have uninterrupted power supply, there has to be diverse source of energy, if you think hydro power could lead you into the twenty first century then you must be phucking retarded, Nigeria is corrupt, is RUSSIA NOT CORRUPT? shit happens but life continues, you can't win by not trying, in most cases nuclear stations are used for generating electricity, stop being slowpoke people, is a complete waste of every body's time. Is so pathetic, you all dont even know the primary use of nuclear energy, is a phucking shame.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by Outstrip(f): 11:25pm On Jun 30, 2008
Chai. See yabbing. My poor country. They cannot even get a traffic light to work but they want to build nuclear weapons. No need to fear. It is well.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by NINETOFIVE(m): 11:28pm On Jun 30, 2008
asamuel:

which dream? we have not succeeded in giving Nigerians [b]light. [/b]We cannot solve Niger delta wahala. We are going NUCLEAR. Is that not empty dream? At the end of this regime, Billions of Naira would go NUCLEAR without anything to show for it. We know how to create avenues for siphoning money in Nigeria.

How ironic.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by naijaway(m): 12:06am On Jul 01, 2008
Nigeria should go ahead. If critiques are saying this and that especially about global warming, then I think it is justifiable. I mean who is to build and not to build when it is not intended for violence. They should look for safe spots and let the building go on. How can you do without trying to do. My main fear is corruption in terms of making the project see light but as for naija having it I support that move. Its high time we save our oil and we can help neighboring countries with electricity. We shouldn't wait until everyone does it then we jump in because of fear.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by deor03(m): 12:39am On Jul 01, 2008
Assuming the Nuclear programme goes ahead and considering the appalling way projects are managed in our dear country.

Which region of Nigeria do you thin will offer it's land for the plant considering the HIGH possibility of environmental pollution?

North?

South East?

South West?

Definitely not Niger delta.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by Kobojunkie: 12:45am On Jul 01, 2008
roflmao!!!
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by kosovo(m): 1:52am On Jul 01, 2008
once they start the program,
m leaving the fucking country,
cos i know for sure they will never get things right.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by nazzyon(m): 7:55am On Jul 01, 2008
In my own view, criticism is at times good but the extent at which we are taking it to is just inappropriate.

Before the manufacturing of automobiles and planes were approved there were critics but it is limited and what we are just saying is that we have to take some risks to get what we wish for.

Our problems in this country is that we are always thinking of the negatives than the positive sides of what we embark upon.

We like to sight example  using US, UK and other leading countries in the world based on their achievement but what we always forget is that they also took risks to get to that stage with which we all cherish.

Even in the NASA buildings they take risk and people die all because of achievement but we sit here and we expect our lives to shape itself without us contributing to it.

Talk about corruption; even the high flying countries are not excluded from this because the holy lands are experiencing the same. It can't be erradicated we have to get that at the back of our mind.

If you most know, it is also another sign of being human and that we are on earth but not heaven.

Lets try to be sane for atleast an hour and think this issue through or else we would never move an inch even after 2020 that we all are dreaming about.

Brothers & Sisters, sow something to rip something.

We cannot achieve anything if we sit and watch.

If the citizens believe they do not want power through Nuclear plants then you should present another option with a proof to back it up that it will be more reliable, economical, risk free, and reasonable. We cannot sit and complain without given options to the government.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by reindeer: 8:00am On Jul 01, 2008
abeg, i have to commot all my family from niija fast fast!!!
when ordinary oil pipelines dey blow up everyday, imagine nuclear!
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by redsun(m): 8:01am On Jul 01, 2008
Did anybody remember ikeja blast?They can not handle arms and ammunitions cache talkless of nuclear facilities.The government should focus more on basic needs of the people rather than empty and killer projects that will end up wasting the people's money and lives.

A case of trying to run before walking.It is like jumping from basic needs to self-actualizations in the pyramid of life,it doesn't work,it goes stage by stage and at any given situation,nuclear facility is not something to look forward to,it is part of man's madness and defiance against nature and himself,self destruction.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by kina4blick: 8:26am On Jul 01, 2008
EVERYONE AS FAR AS I KNOW DONT EVEN BORDER WORRING

WE ARE ONLY MAKING PENCILS WITH OUR NUCLEAR PROG.

VERY WEAK PROG. CANT YOU SEE I ALSO READ THAT PAPER

NA BIG RUBBISH ONE LOVE GUY SUPERPOWER DONT MAKE

ME LAUGHT, grin grin grin
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by SkyBlue1: 9:00am On Jul 01, 2008
All this unecessary worry, why? As long as the nuclear plant is built next to aso rock why would anyone break sweat? Peter Odili and other politicians all have mansions in Abuja, so it would be a win win situation. If it works then we are happy we have more power, any errors and . . . . it is a win win.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by joeycrack: 9:06am On Jul 01, 2008
@NINETOFIVE
we know nuclear power has a lot uses, 1 being power generation. As a matter of fact i tink most see it as a good idea, but, ar we still talking abt the same govt? A govt notorious for negligence, a govt. dat cnt fix its road, take care of its investment(a la Ajaokuta), dt neglects its refineries 'n' hydro stations. Hw do we know oficials will nt generate black market for bak door sale of uranium.

We have had catastrophes in recent yrs e.g plane crashes, cantonment bomb blast etc, bt these are very small compared to wat will happen if der shud be a disaster or melt down. Just ask chernobyl and its surrounding villages who are still suffering years on. Its like giving a toddler a motorcycle whn he/she hs nt evn mastered the trycycle.

Also u dont hav to result to insults to get ur point across, If anytin it shows a sign of weakness.

cheers
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by abdurrazaq(m): 9:17am On Jul 01, 2008
joeycrack:

@NINETOFIVE
we know nuclear power has a lot uses, 1 being power generation. As a matter of fact i think most see it as a good idea, but, ar we still talking about the same govt? A govt notorious for negligence, a govt. that cnt fix its road, take care of its investment(a la Ajaokuta), dt neglects its refineries 'n' hydro stations. Hw do we know oficials will nt generate black market for bak door sale of uranium.

We have had catastrophes in recent years e.g plane crashes, cantonment bomb blast etc, bt these are very small compared to what will happen if der should be a disaster or melt down. Just ask chernobyl and its surrounding villages who are still suffering years on. Its like giving a toddler a motorcycle whn he/she hs nt evn mastered the trycycle.

Also u don't hav to result to insults to get your point across, If anytin it shows a sign of weakness.

cheers

You just soothe my pains with that comments up there : cheesy

@NINETOFIVE. Next time try to put your point across without insulting others. Everybody is entitled to his/her opinion. What you have been reading on this comment so far are the bitter truth about the situation of things in Nigeria. We are not optimists, we are just being sincere to ourselves.

Let the Government put our roads in good shape and follow up with effective maintenance practices may be, we will have a change of heart about their ability to run this nuclear program.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by thehomer: 10:59am On Jul 01, 2008
This is not such a big deal as many think. The problem of aquiring a grade of uranium or other raw material required. The problems of reactor design and others have been solved by other countries so the chance of a reactor meltdown is low. The problem of disposal of nuclear waste is what I think the focus will be. Also, the main worries of the G8 nations is that if you are able to process uranium or any member of its family to the degree capable for use in power generation, then you are also likely to be able to refine to make nuclear weapons. So most likely, a concession will be reached for Nigeria to be supplied with the refined uranium and the waste will likely be disposed of in an agreeable manner. Finally, this project is not something that will be done in the next five or ten years so I think it is still feasible in Nigeria.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by Mustay(m): 11:58am On Jul 01, 2008
[center]Nigeria calls on G8 for action plan on Africa’s water challenges[/center]

Nigeria has called on the industrialized countries of G8 to evolve a comprehensive global action plan for the water and sanitation challenges facing Africa.

President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua made the call, while contributing to the debate on the theme “Meeting the Millennium Development Goals on Water and Sanitation” of 11th Ordinary African Union which opened in Sharm el Sheikh Egypt.

Correspondent who is attending the summit reports that goodwill message from UN secretary General, the Arab League and the Palestinian Authority were delivered to the summit.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by eminemkayc: 12:04pm On Jul 01, 2008
BWHAT CAN I SAY NOW? THE ONLY THING I CAN SAY IS THAT NIGERIA IS FU**** UP!! THATS ALL!! WHAT ELSE CAN I ADD HERE! THERE'S CORRUPTION, MAL ADMINISTRATION, IMPOVERISHED CITIZENRY, UNEMPLOYMENT PROBLEMS FOR YOUTHS, AND MOST UNFORTUNATELY, UNREMITTING POWER OUTAGE. SO WHY SHOULD WE BE TALKING OF NUCLEAR ENERGY NOW, WHEN WE CANNOT MANAGE OR PROVIDE THESE VERY BASIC AMENITIES A COUNTRY SHOULD PROVIDE FOR ITS PEOPLE! ITS REGRETTABLE THAT WE WANT TO PLACE THE HORSE BEFORE THE CART. THE AUTHORITIES SHOULD JUST JETTISON THE IDEA FOR NOW AND THINK OF HOM TO BETTER THE LOT OF NIGERIANS!! cry
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by Kobojunkie: 12:24pm On Jul 01, 2008
thehomer:

This is not such a big deal as many think. The problem of aquiring a grade of uranium or other raw material required. The problems of reactor design and others have been solved by other countries so the chance of a reactor meltdown is low. The problem of disposal of nuclear waste is what I think the focus will be. Also, the main worries of the G8 nations is that if you are able to process uranium or any member of its family to the degree capable for use in power generation, then you are also likely to be able to refine to make nuclear weapons. So most likely, a concession will be reached for Nigeria to be supplied with the refined uranium and the waste will likely be disposed of in an agreeable manner. Finally, this project is not something that will be done in the next five or ten years so I think it is still feasible in Nigeria.

Dude, guess what You can apply that thinking to most every other problem in that country. The problem of having goods roads have been solved, guess what? we still do not have good roads. So I don't think that is the problem here. We seem to mess up even the simplest things. It just does not make sense at this point to embark on the craziest of crazies when we have yet to conquer the simplest of all.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by prizeless(m): 1:04pm On Jul 01, 2008
Hi guys, I am 26 yrs old studied MSc Radiation Protection and Safety (called Safeguards, inspections and monitoring in the nuclear world). I'm working on one of Nigeria's nuclear projects. I guess Nigeria needs more than just cash to run our nuclear programme. We need organization. We can't even run NIGCOMSAT successfully, we want to run nuclear, but i believe we can if we ut our head and heart to it.

cheers
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by asamuel: 2:45pm On Jul 01, 2008
now experts are talking!!!
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by migareigns(m): 2:51pm On Jul 01, 2008
in a country where governors and other people in power are burying millions of naira( or is it even billions??) in underground storage tanks and civil servants are not paid salaries for as long as 7 months i think this will be the ideal place for terrorists to get nuclear materials. they should just paid the plant operators N10000 each and they can get all the stuff they need.
i am not against nigeria developing nuclear power after all there is a lot 2 gain but what worries me is the scale of the disater that will occur when the plant has a meltdown and given nigeria's track record it will happen.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by firestar(f): 3:19pm On Jul 01, 2008
With Great Power Comes With Greater Responsibility.

Not a bad idea, though, considering other sources of unharnessed power. Solar, Wind, Geothermal--

@prizeless

Word!
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by Uche2nna(m): 10:09pm On Jul 01, 2008
nazzyon:

We cannot sit and complain without given options to the government.

Optimising the existing source of power would be a good idea.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by FatherAita(m): 3:59am On Jul 02, 2008
[b]Nigerian, please HELP!!! Where will they site the Nuclear Plant. Please don't bring it to the South-South o! Please site it in Katsina State where Yar' Adua comes from so that if the ever present negligence of Nigerian workers who would man it comes to fore and disaster strikes, let it start from Yar' Adua's state.

I cannot imagine a country that cannot get things right, delving into Nuclear Power. Is it crayfish? Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, UAE, Saudi Arabia etc all don't have Nuclear programmes[color=#990000][/color] yet they have electricity, why can't the Nigerian government get their priorities right?

I believe this is another way of stealing Nigeria's money again.

Please instaed of wasting money, follow these few advise

1. Rehabilitate Nigerian Schools & pay Teachers  a minimum wage of N50,000 per month (this is not even too mucbut just for a start)
2. Rehabilitate Nigerian Hospitals and pay our Doctors and Nurses well.
3. Bring back Nigeria Airways and let rofessionals manage it.
4. Rehabilitate our roads.
5. Develope alternative energy system e.g. Solar, Wind and Hydro power. Do it with all vigour like your lives depend on it.
6. Suspend Banking licence to any bank that refuses to give loans to genuine small-scale businessmen/women.
7. Start up a programme for Secondary school leavers to learn a trade after they finish SSCE pending the time they get lucky to gain admission to either Poly or University.
8. Begin to arrest and jail government officials who steals money (at least 50 years in jail)

If we do these things, Nigeria will prosper.[/b] We don't need Nuclear programme.

Nuclear ko, Atomic ni

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

$35 Billion Foreign Reserve Was Mismanaged - Obasanjo / I Need A Feasibility Study For A Small Bakery / CBN Pledges To Sustain Dollar Injection In FX Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.