Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,738 members, 7,809,829 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:38 PM

Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story (1205 Views)

Atheism - Revisiting The Burden Of Proof / The Superiority Of The Jesus Christ Over Prophet Mohammed / The Jesus - Ufo Connection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by Rossikk(m): 4:46pm On Oct 06, 2013
Can someone briefly explain how this ascension happened pls? I read about it as a child and it didn't make any sense. Can someone shed more light on this alleged incident please. Many thanks.

1 Like

Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by Delafruita(m): 4:57pm On Oct 06, 2013
Shed more light on how it happened or if it happened?
Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by Delafruita(m): 5:08pm On Oct 06, 2013
Shed more light on how it happened or if it happened?
It never happened to jesus...infact it never happened at all.the first recorded ascension was that of mithra in 208BC which is approx 204years before jesus was supposedly born

Hundreds of years before Jesus, according to the Mithraic religion, three Wise Men of Persia came to visit the baby savior-god Mithra, bring him gifts of gold, myrrh and frankincense.
2)  Mithra was born on December 25 as told in the “Great Religions of the World”, page 330; “…it was the winter solstice celebrated by ancients as the birthday of Mithraism’s sun god”.
3)  According to Mithraism, before Mithra died on a cross, he celebrated a “Last Supper with his twelve disciples, who represented the twelve signs of the zodiac.
4)  After the death of Mithra, his body was laid to rest in a rock tomb.
5)  Mithra had a celibate priesthood.
6)  Mithra ascended into heaven during the spring (Passover) equinox (the time when the sun crosses the equator making night and day of equal length).
Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by Rossikk(m): 6:19pm On Oct 06, 2013
Thanks Delafruita.

Any more contributions?
Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by mcfynest(m): 6:32pm On Oct 06, 2013
@delafruita....i dont get your point, are you saying Jesus never existed
Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by macof(m): 9:19pm On Oct 06, 2013
mcfynest: @delafruita....i dont get your point, are you saying Jesus never existed
it is quite possible. Either he never existed or people have corrupted his life story

2 Likes

Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by Rossikk(m): 12:02am On Oct 07, 2013
I'm surprised that no christian has come in here to explain the ascension story better...
Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by Delafruita(m): 7:14am On Oct 07, 2013
mcfynest: @delafruita....i dont get your point, are you saying Jesus never existed
history records quite a number of people named yeshwa.but you have to undestand that yeshwa is an adaptation of joshua and was a name borne by upto 12% of the jewish population around that time just like the name mary.but there is no record of yeshwa bar josephus,the miracle worker born of a virgin.there was no mention of this yeshwa till testimonium flavanium and even that has been shown with strong reason to be an interpolation.

1 Like

Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by mcfynest(m): 5:30am On Oct 14, 2013
Delafruita: history records quite a number of people named yeshwa.but you have to undestand that yeshwa is an adaptation of joshua and was a name borne by upto 12% of the jewish population around that time just like the name mary.but there is no record of yeshwa bar josephus,the miracle worker born of a virgin.there was no mention of this yeshwa till testimonium flavanium and even that has been shown with strong reason to be an interpolation.

hmmmmmm.....i want to tell you a story, hmmmmm how do i start??/,

did john the baptist exist, have you heard of the historian josephus, the one that taljed about john and herod? and also about a certain magician of a man named joshua?
Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by Delafruita(m): 7:15am On Oct 14, 2013
mcfynest:

hmmmmmm.....i want to tell you a story, hmmmmm how do i start??/,

did john the baptist exist, have you heard of the historian josephus, the one that taljed about john and herod? and also about a certain magician of a man named joshua?
did you read the part where i said testimonium flavanium has been shown with strong reason to be an interpolation?perhaps you'd understand it better when i say flavanium was coined from flavius thus testimonium flavanium means the testimony of flavius aka josephus flavius.josephus was a jew who was captured by the romans during the jewish revolt of 70AD.he lived his latter years as a roman and most of the things he wrote were based on what he had heard and what was recorded.antiquities of josephus wasnt written till around 93AD which is about 60years after jesus supposedly died and rose.supisingly,testimonium flavaniun wasnt discovered till eusebius laid hands on antiquities in the 3rd century.now you see why there is strong reason to state that it was an interpolation
Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by Nobody: 10:51am On Oct 14, 2013
Delafruita: did you read the part where i said testimonium flavanium has been shown with strong reason to be an interpolation?perhaps you'd understand it better when i say flavanium was coined from flavius thus testimonium flavanium means the testimony of flavius aka josephus flavius.josephus was a jew who was captured by the romans during the jewish revolt of 70AD.he lived his latter years as a roman and most of the things he wrote were based on what he had heard and what was recorded.antiquities of josephus wasnt written till around 93AD which is about 60years after jesus supposedly died and rose.supisingly,testimonium flavaniun wasnt discovered till eusebius laid hands on antiquities in the 3rd century.now you see why there is strong reason to state that it was an interpolation

oga that is no strong reason. it is just an assumption.

You can equally read Annals, XV 44. by Tacitus.
Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by Nobody: 10:54am On Oct 14, 2013
@op

Mithra is a myth but Jesus is not.
Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by macof(m): 11:00am On Oct 14, 2013
JMAN05: @op

No one with the name "Jesus" ever existed only around 1300AD
Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by Nobody: 2:45pm On Oct 14, 2013
macof: No one with the name "Jesus" ever existed only around 1300AD

read Annals. the reference is above. Josephus also spoke of him.
Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by Nobody: 2:46pm On Oct 14, 2013
macof: No one with the name "Jesus" ever existed only around 1300AD
Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by macof(m): 2:48pm On Oct 14, 2013
JMAN05:

read Annals. the reference is above. Josephus also spoke of him.
did the authors of this books know him? did anyone who wrote of him ever met him?
Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by Delafruita(m): 6:30pm On Oct 14, 2013
JMAN05: @op

you mind explaining why the story of jesus is exactly same as the story of mithra especially seeing as mithra existed for many years before jesus
Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by Nobody: 7:41pm On Oct 14, 2013
macof: did the authors of this books know him? did anyone who wrote of him ever met him?

that is purely illogical cos you ve not seen Plato, Aristotle, Pythagoras, but you believe they existed, not so?
Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by Nobody: 8:01pm On Oct 14, 2013
Delafruita: you mind explaining why the story of jesus is exactly same as the story of mithra especially seeing as mithra existed for many years before jesus

I wouldnt agree is exactly same as Jesus.

1. the bible didnt tell us how many "wise men" that came.

2. Jesus wasnt born on 25th December.

3. Jesus died on a stake. and he never celebrated his birth.

4. that is the custom at the time. I think Persia could still have such custom of burying in tomb.

5. Christ had no celebrated priesthood.

With these differences, I dont think we should use exactly there. But that their some similarities doesnt make much sense since some stories of another person's life can resemble another's. Of course Jesus existence has been vindicated by historians.

1 Like

Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by macof(m): 8:24pm On Oct 14, 2013
JMAN05:

that is purely illogical cos you ve not seen Plato, Aristotle, Pythagoras, but you believe they existed, not so?
because I have read about them, read about people who knew them, I have seen images of them, there are more than one book talking about what they have contributed to the world. I have read books written by Aristotle himself, although translated from Greek to English.

But Jesus has no image, unless the once made 300 years after his death, which aren't his real face. No book except the Bible talks about Jesus. However I have spoken to Jews that claim Mary was a halot just like Jesus's ancestors(prostitution flows through his lineage) that alone debunks the Bible, because the Bible claims he Mary was a virgin mother. There really is no evidence to back up the existence of such a great man as yeshua
Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by mcfynest(m): 11:36pm On Oct 14, 2013
macof: because I have read about them, read about people who knew them, I have seen images of them, there are more than one book talking about what they have contributed to the world. I have read books written by Aristotle himself, although translated from Greek to English.

But Jesus has no image, unless the once made 300 years after his death, which aren't his real face. No book except the Bible talks about Jesus. However I have spoken to Jews that claim Mary was a halot just like Jesus's ancestors(prostitution flows through his lineage) that alone debunks the Bible, because the Bible claims he Mary was a virgin mother. There really is no evidence to back up the existence of such a great man as yeshua

i get you, i see that you dont understand and you dont do research by yourself. so no one in your ancestral line committed a sin or because your someone in your ancestral lineage did something means that should be a determinant of your own actions or inactions

and you are a follower of the roman catholic dogma. VIRGIN is not what you were taught it was to be......

AT THIS I REST MY CASE.....YEHUSHUA IS THE MESSIAH, AND HE CAME TO RECONCILE THE GENTILES BACK TO YAHAWAH
Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by Delafruita(m): 7:57am On Oct 15, 2013
JMAN05:

I wouldnt agree is exactly same as Jesus.

1. the bible didnt tell us how many "wise men" that came.

2. Jesus wasnt born on 25th December.

3. Jesus died on a stake. and he never celebrated his birth.

4. that is the custom at the time. I think Persia could still have such custom of burying in tomb.

5. Christ had no celebrated priesthood.

With these differences, I dont think we should use exactly there. But that their some similarities doesnt make much sense since some stories of another person's life can resemble another's. Of course Jesus existence has been vindicated by historians.
Why didnt you also list the similarities?

Why didnt you list the fact that mithra was born of a virgin?

That mithra had twelve disciples?

That mithra performed miracles and preached love?

That mithra died and arose on the third day as he said he would?

That mithra said he is "the way,truth and light"?

That mithra ascended to heaven in the full glare of his disciples?

That mithra promised to return at a later date to take believers to reign with him forever?

Perhaps you could be kind enough as to explain what you mean by vindication of the existence of jesus by historians
Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by mcfynest(m): 6:01pm On Oct 15, 2013
SO? DOES SIMILARITIES MEAN THEY ARE THE SAME PLS LOVE be rational.....
Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by Nobody: 8:56pm On Oct 15, 2013
Delafruita:
Why didnt you also list the similarities?

Why didnt you list the fact that mithra was born of a virgin?

That mithra had twelve disciples?

That mithra performed miracles and preached love?

That mithra died and arose on the third day as he said he would?

That mithra said he is "the way,truth and light"?

That mithra ascended to heaven in the full glare of his disciples?

That mithra promised to return at a later date to take believers to reign with him forever?

Perhaps you could be kind enough as to explain what you mean by vindication of the existence of jesus by historians

I never said that their were no differences. on vindication, read up very well.
Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by plaetton: 9:27pm On Oct 15, 2013
There are no doubts that the Essenes, a radical jewish sect opposed to roman occupation Of Palestine in the 1st century had a profound influence on the events that shaped early Christian thought and philosophy.

It widely believed that Jesus was a member of the Esssene Therapuetate , a very prominent sect in 1st century Palestine.
According to the dead sea scrolls and the Nag Hamidi documents, the Essenes had a special code for communicating among themselves designed to shield themselves from the wrath of the Roman occupying forces and their Judaic collaborators, the Pharisees and the Saducees .

The Essenes had their community and headquarters at the mountain top and caves of Qumran .

It is noteworthy that in essene nomenclature, a high ranking priest was called " Son of God" , and their Qumran mountain top community was referred to as "The Kingdom of Heaven".

So if you place Jesus as priest-King of the Essenes, then the son of god ascending to the kingdom of heaven makes proper sense in terms of Essene nomenclature.

Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by Nobody: 9:42pm On Oct 15, 2013
macof: because I have read about them, read about people who knew them, I have seen images of them, there are more than one book talking about what they have contributed to the world. I have read books written by Aristotle himself, although translated from Greek to English.

hmmm so intelligent. please provide the evidence of his ancestors, the father of his father, his mother, mother inlaw, father inlaw, the kids if any, his wife. ie, the evidence of Plato, Pythagoras and Aristotle.

any person you didnt presenf the evidence or writing by someone who knows him/her is a myth. after that we proceed to the next stage.

Josephus said that high priest Ananus(or Annas) convened the judges of the sanhedrin and brot before them a man named James, the brother of Jesus who was called the Christ, and certain others.

And you are here wasting your time. so Annas, Festus, and Albinus are myths? cos they were still mentioned there.

so what was brot before them was a myth the brother of a myth? sorry for you.
Re: Revisiting The Jesus Ascension Story by macof(m): 10:54pm On Oct 15, 2013
JMAN05:

hmmm so intelligent. please provide the evidence of his ancestors, the father of his father, his mother, mother inlaw, father inlaw, the kids if any, his wife. ie, the evidence of Plato, Pythagoras and Aristotle.

any person you didnt presenf the evidence or writing by someone who knows him/her is a myth. after that we proceed to the next stage.

Josephus said that high priest Ananus(or Annas) convened the judges of the sanhedrin and brot before them a man named James, the brother of Jesus who was called the Christ, and certain others.

And you are here wasting your time. so Annas, Festus, and Albinus are myths? cos they were still mentioned there.

so what was brot before them was a myth the brother of a myth? sorry for you.
I don't understand a thing undecided

(1) (Reply)

Is GOD Partial?? / My Visit To Chris Okotie's Church: / To Everyone: What Jihad Means

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.