Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,098 members, 7,821,796 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools (10390 Views)

Ifa Worshippers Offer To Fight Boko Haram / Reception Given To Aregbesola From His Hometown Residents. / Buhari Busted! Waec/cambridge Did Not Offer Hausa As Subject In 1961 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Katsumoto: 12:32am On Oct 09, 2013
Leward:
You are a stupid and ignoramus fool, before you comment on a subject your frail mind can't comprehend next time, y dont you aske learned intellectuals (profs) about the subject matter. Esu is nt a messenger god, he is a guard god that protects settlements if pleased that's why his shrine is always at the entrance of a community and yes, he can be wicked when vexed and he is feared, but to prove that, y dont you go to a local community where he is worshipped, ask for his shrine, and pour water on his statue, and mention your nane so as not to cause trouble for the poor community thats when you will understand what 'Esu gbomi mu' is. I'll love to hear your pleasant testimony at the end, sorry if i sound harsh, but i don't take insults lightly, as you must have noticed i've not insulted anyone directly on this thread, you untrained lobstar

9jacrip is correct. Esu is a divine messenger god. He is the messenger between the physical and spiritual world. He is also the enforcer of spiritual justice; when ever man strays away from the instructions of the gods, Orunmila sends Esu to enforce the will of the orisas.
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by kofoshi: 12:39am On Oct 09, 2013
All this talk about esu is scaring me o.
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Katsumoto: 12:46am On Oct 09, 2013
kofoshi: All this talk about esu is scaring me o.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Esu is not Satan.
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Nobody: 1:08am On Oct 09, 2013
Katsumoto:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Esu is not Satan.

grin grin grin
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by nduchucks: 1:15am On Oct 09, 2013
Katsumoto:

grin grin grin grin

If you are sincere that you want to gain some knowledge, then you can start with any of the following books.

Some Aspects of Yoruba Aesthetics – Babatunde Lawal
The Yoruba Concept of Human Personality – Wande Abimbola
Black Critics and Kings: Hermeneutics of Power in Yoruba Society – Andrew Apter

When you are done with at least one, you can return to this thread and then we can proceed to have a discussion.

How convenient of you! You don't have any problem with issuing rebuttals with up to 8 bulleted items when you are challenged on this same thread, but you now want me to go and read a whole book before you will answer my very simple question to you. If you have no real knowledge of Ifa, there is nothing shameful about making an admission.

The vast majority of 'authentic' babalwos and Ifa priests are illiterates and very unsophisticated. Trust me, I've travelled far and wide within the SW and these people are outright dumb, sorry to say (most of them still believe that anything that goes up must come down due to gravity - mumus). You have an opportunity to summarize the Ifa philosophy for us and i will not accept the cop out that one has to be Yoruba to understand. So lets have it, educate us please.
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by MayorofLagos(m): 1:20am On Oct 09, 2013
kofoshi: All this talk about esu is scaring me o.

Esu is a hidden wholeness.

An experience has a co-joined hidden aspect which together creates a wholeness, they co-exist and move together.

No experience is permanent. If a person is stuck in an undesirable state for too long, its because they have unconsciously blocked the opposite aspect of that undesirable state, which otherwise should bring in the desired aspect, and by giving an offering their Ori is placated to open the way for the other aspect to manifest and complete the cycle or wholeness.

Dont be afraid of Esu, dont fight him, dont block him but embrace him. cheesy

Willingly or unwillingly, you are bound to encounter him.

1 Like

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by kofoshi: 1:22am On Oct 09, 2013
ndu_chucks:

How convenient of you! You don't have any problem with issuing rebuttals with up to 8 bulleted items when you are challenged on this same thread, but you now want me to go and read a whole book before you will answer my very simple question to you. If you have no real knowledge of Ifa, there is nothing shameful about making an admission.

The vast majority of 'authentic' babalwos and Ifa priests are illiterates and very unsophisticated. Trust me, I've travelled far and wide within the SW and these people are outright dumb, sorry to say (most of them still believe that anything that goes up must come down due to gravity - mumus). You have an opportunity to summarize the Ifa philosophy for us and i will not accept the cop out that one has to be Yoruba to understand. So lets have it, educate us please.

You are very very stupid for labelling the custodians of our culture and heritage not to talk of religion, dumb.

Aja lo ma je enu buruku to fi sosokuso yen!

Omo ti o niran!

2 Likes

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by kofoshi: 1:25am On Oct 09, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

Esu is a hidden wholeness.

An experience has a co-joined hidden aspect which together creates a wholeness, they co-exist and move together.

No experience is permanent. If a person is stuck in an undesirable state for too long, its because they have unconsciously blocked the opposite aspect of that undesirable state, which otherwise should bring in the desired aspect, and by giving an offering their Ori is placated to open the way for the other aspect to manifest and complete the cycle or wholeness.

Dont be afraid of Esu, dont fight him, dont block him but embrace him. cheesy

Willingly or unwillingly, you are bound to encounter him.

Mo taka osi danu!

Mi o ni resu!
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Nobody: 1:28am On Oct 09, 2013
kofoshi:

Mo taka osi danu!

Mi o ni resu!

It is not the biblical/quranic Esu sir, calm down.

cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Nobody: 1:33am On Oct 09, 2013
ndu_chucks:

[s]The vast majority of 'authentic' babalwos and Ifa priests are illiterates and very unsophisticated[/s]. Trust me, I've travelled far and wide within the SW and these people are outright dumb, sorry to say (most of them still believe that anything that goes up must come down due to gravity - mumus). You have an opportunity to summarize the Ifa philosophy for us and i will not accept the cop out that one has to be Yoruba to understand. So lets have it, educate us please.

With all due respect, the struck out part of your post is silly and ignorant.
What standards did you use to equate or arrive at '...babalwos and Ifa priests are illiterates'. What makes them illiterates?
You must not be aware they learn hundreds on Odus and this entails some form of literacy?
Ifa philosophy is for the awo (Ifa devotee) to know and it cannot be summarized, it is rather bulky and at attempt to summarize would make it rather vague or unreasonably overrated.
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by MayorofLagos(m): 2:16am On Oct 09, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Everything God created is designed in an orbit, regulated within a sphere of movement or non-movement, none collides with the other. Some are designed for interaction and inter-exchange and others are designed never to interact but to be perceived or experienced from safe distance.
Humans, as part of these phenomenon, are designated the custodians of life on earth and are taught the secrets of the elements and ecology and cosmic cycles for the benefit of sustenance.

This is a ordered world and to survive in it order is needed, the harmony of nature.

Ifa is an ancient manuscript that contains these secrets.

Some have wondered, why are there no rich babalawos or why are there no formulas for electricity in Ifa.

Babalawos are like monks. Monks live an austere life. Wealth and material things corrupt the soul, therefore monks protect their beings from the corruption through a disciplined, commited lifestyle. This is why Babalawos appear poor. Given the throng of clients that consult their service, domestically and internationally, there is no reason Babalawos should not own private jets like some of these mega pastors, but some of you are unaware that pastors also go to them for consultation.

On the issue of scientifical contents, Ifa has formulas that explain the science of life. If Yorubas were endowed with the gift of scientific creation then the world would be under our monopoly. Europe, with all its endowments for sciences and inventions is barren of the materials needed to fabricate their invention. Jews, with all their knowledge and insight have remained locked in perpetual hatred and battle all their history. So whatever you have, God also put in it a hole, the filling of which require an external source to come in partnership and make whole.

There is a branch of mathematics called opposite category or dual category. It is a formulaic for how Esu operates and expresses more on why an entity must go into partnership to find wholeness.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Katsumoto: 2:55am On Oct 09, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

Everything God created is designed in an orbit, regulated within a sphere of movement or non-movement, none collides with the other. Some are designed for interaction and inter-exchange and others are designed never to interact but to be perceived or experienced from safe distance.
Humans, as part of these phenomenon, are designated the custodians of life on earth and are taught the secrets of the elements and ecology and cosmic cycles for the benefit of sustenance.

This is a ordered world and to survive in it order is needed, the harmony of nature.

Some have wondered, why are there no rich babalawos or why are there no formulas for electricity in Ifa.

Babalawos are like monks. Monks live an austere life. Wealth and material things corrupt the soul, therefore monks protect their beings from the corruption through a disciplined, commited lifestyle. This is why Babalawos appear poor. Given the throng of clients that consult their service, domestically and internationally, there is no reason Babalawos should not own private jets like some of these mega pastors, but some of you are unaware that pastors also go to them for consultation.

On the issue of scientifical contents, Ifa has formulas that explain the science of life. If Yorubas were endowed with the gift of scientific creation then the world would be under our monopoly. Europe, with all its endowments for sciences and inventions is barren of the materials needed to fabricate their invention. Jews, with all their knowledge and insight have remained locked in perpetual hatred and battle all their history. So whatever you have, God also put in it a hole, the filling of which require an external source to come in partnership and make whole.

There is a branch of mathematics called opposite category or dual category. It is a formulaic for how Esu operates and expresses more on why an entity must go into partnership to find wholeness.

Nicely put. Let me expand a bit on the duality you mentioned above. Many cultures believe/believed in the concept that reality has two parts (male and female, good and evil, etc). The ancient Greeks and Romans were believers of this principle as were many other empires. But religions such as Christianity and Islam gradually replaced or amended this belief. There are still many cultures/religions that follow this belief system but their interpretations are different. These interpretations believe that the two can be interdependent, mutually independent, complimentary (Hinduism) or antagonistic (Gnostic Christians, Zoroastrianism).

Zoroastrianism is similar to Ifa in that both believe in the concept of good and bad but differ in that Ifa dictates that good and evil exist for the common good of the universe while Zoroastrianism believes that good and bad are in an eternal fight. This is why the Yoruba say "Buburu ati fere ni o nrin po ("Bad and good things work together"wink amongst many other sayings. On the good side, you have the orishas and on the bad side, you have death, curse, sickness, etc.
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Katsumoto: 3:08am On Oct 09, 2013
ndu_chucks:

I typically try to offer corrections if I believe something is wrong based on my limited knowledge. I am not really here to lecture anyone. You aren't really here for a debate or knowledge; your position on this subject is as clear as daylight and you further reinforced that view with your last post. You want babalawos to move away from their very essence? Are Imams more educated and sophisticated than Babalawos? When did I say you have to be Yoruba to understand Ifa? Some of the most detailed literary works on Ifa have been written by Caucasians; do you think that eminent Yoruba Ifa writers such as Wande Abimbola, Babatunde Lawal have issues with them?

Some of the custodians of Ifa Corpus in Latin America have never set foot in Africa. I wasn't going to respond to you but I see that Mayor of Lagos has done Justice to your question. You can not seek knowledge about something and then denigrate it at the same time. I will not delve further into the subject of Ifa just so you can turn around and ridicule it.

6 Likes

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by MayorofLagos(m): 3:29am On Oct 09, 2013
Katsumoto:

Nicely put. Let me expand a bit on the duality you mentioned above. Many cultures believe/believed in the concept that reality has two parts (male and female, good and evil, etc). The ancient Greeks and Romans were believers of this principle as were many other empires. But religions such as Christianity and Islam gradually replaced or amended this belief. There are still many cultures/religions that follow this belief system but their interpretations are different. These interpretations believe that the two can be interdependent, mutually independent, complimentary (Hinduism) or antagonistic (Gnostic Christians, Zoroastrianism).

Zoroastrianism is similar to Ifa in that both believe in the concept of good and bad but differ in that Ifa dictates that good and evil exist for the common good of the universe while Zoroastrianism believes that good and bad are in an eternal fight. This is why the Yoruba say "Buburu ati fere ni o nrin po ("Bad and good things work together"wink amongst many other sayings. On the good side, you have the orishas and on the bad side, you have death, curse, sickness, etc.

Kats,

There are indeed common and very exacting rites between Ifa and Islam.

In its creed, Islam recognizes the existence of Irunmoles and the plurality of divine powers.

I wonder how much ndu_chucks know about his Quran or for that matter the history of his people and their nativity before Islam, assuming he is a Northern muslim.
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Nobody: 5:51am On Oct 09, 2013
@verysick9igerian you are as dumb as your paymaster the retardeen himself, i am sure you created this thread for the purpose of castigating aregbesola but unfortunately you know nothing about the IFA philosophy so i will excuse your dumbness. To all you dimwits saying rubbish; we yorubas are proud of our culture, history, heritage and belief system; teaching our children the religion of our fathers at an elementary age is a nice development. We are not like you dumbf*cks who cannot tolerate people from other faiths

3 Likes

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by seanet02: 6:51am On Oct 09, 2013
lakhadimar: @verysick9igerian you are as dumb as your paymaster the retardeen himself, i am sure you created this thread for the purpose of castigating aregbesola but unfortunately you know nothing about the IFA philosophy so i will excuse your dumbness. To all you dimwits saying rubbish; we yorubas are proud of our culture, history, heritage and belief system; teaching our children the religion of our fathers at an elementary age is a nice development. We are not like you dumbf*cks who cannot tolerate people from other faiths
thank you

2 Likes

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Pukkah: 8:49am On Oct 09, 2013
Leward:
Africans took Europeans as slaves? Really? Which of them? the egyptians, ethiopians, tunisians or algerians?
My bro go easy on weeds. I'll change my stance if and only if you can give my a sensible proof of that.
I wont consult google for this falacy

Loaded with unparalled ignorance, you bumbled your way into a thread and began to make uninformed comments and faulty conclusions. Luckily, you were corrected but you lazily and barefacedly dismissed the corrections, abused the person who corrected you and refused to give up your embarrassingly ignorant stand. shocked embarassed You even declared that you won't do any research on what you don't know!!!

Na wa for some people o. Imagine someone like you at the helms of affairs in a public or private organization.

Read this link and let's see if it would melt your ignorance and hope you'll have the grace to reverse your earlier wrong stand.

http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/2004/mar/10/20040310-115506-8528r/

It also contains the reference to a book called "Christian Slaves, Muslim Masters: White Slavery in the Mediterranean, the Barbary Coast, and Italy, 1500-1800,” by Professor Davis.

Generally, we only hear about the enslavement of black Africans by the white masters but historians have been somehow silent on the enslavement of Europeans by North Africans.

So if you conclude that Nigerian indigenous religion was powerless because the practitioners were captured as slaves, what's your conclusion now after hearing that white Chrsitians were captured in their lands and paraded as slaves on the streets of North Africa?
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Pukkah: 8:52am On Oct 09, 2013
Katsumoto:

I wasn't going to respond to you but I see that Mayor of Lagos has done Justice to your question. You can not seek knowledge about something and then denigrate it at the same time. I will not delve further into the subject of Ifa just so you can turn around and ridicule it.

The whole basis of his enquiry was to ridicule the concept. He forgets that there's no religion that can't be severely criticized but that's not the essence of the discussions here.
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by MayorofLagos(m): 9:15am On Oct 09, 2013
On the topic itself generally,

Im elated that this is taking off, sponsored by the government in the hinterland and seat of Yoruba spiritual home.

For the record, this is the first time since we converted to Islam and Christianity, that a public policy was adopted to start a reconversion back to our native philosophies. I believe Osun is the test bed for now. The policy should be mandated and all schools in Yorubaland should adopt it.

English is not my native tongue but im mandated to learn it in school. I see no reason why Ifa knowledge cannot be mandated for schools in Yorubaland.

4 Likes

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by abdurrazaq(m): 9:44am On Oct 09, 2013
I hope other south-western states do same and hasten the process of adopting Yoruba language for teaching in our schools. IFA is not evil but knowledge, deep knowledge as a matter of fact, that adopt Yoruba history in teaching culture and moral for better society. I am a Muslim and I‘m always proud to be associated with my culture.
For the record, we (Yorubas) have lived peacefully without Mathematics, Physics, Psychology, Biology, etc.

This move has my 100% support.

4 Likes

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by 0monnakoda: 10:46am On Oct 09, 2013
http://www.cultural-expressions.com/ifa/odu/oturupon.htm
There lived a hunter who had a secret agreement with the elders of the night to help him in his hunting expeditions. They provided him his game on the condition that he would always allow them to drain the blood of any animal he killed. Meanwhile, his wife was anxious to find out why he usually came home with headless animals. She decided to follow him to the forest to find out what was happening to the heads and blood of the animals he was killing. He did not know that the wife usually accompanied him to the forest.
On one occasion, the elders of the night told him to warn who ever was following him to the forest to desist from doing so. On getting home he told the wife about the warning and she pretended as if it had nothing to do with her.
On his next hunting expedition, the wife trailed him to the forest behind his back. On getting to the forest he started hunting. When he finished hunting, he went into conference with the elders of the night and they drained all the blood and emptied them into a clay pot. At that stage the elders of the night asked him whether in defiance of their instructions, he came with any spy. He denied coming with anybody. They insisted that someone came with him. They told him to keep watch. They removed the leaves with which his wife concealed herself and ordered her to come out. When the hunter discovered that it was his wife, he begged them to spare her life and forgive her. They told him that there was no forgiveness in the witch world.
They called her up and told her that since she was so curious to find out what they sere doing with the blood of the animals being killed by the husband, she would have to pay the price of her transgression. They collected all the blood drained from the animals shot by the husband that night and made her to drink it. After drinking the blood, she began to suffer from palsy, or issue of blood. She became so ill that the husband had no time to devote to his hunting. The night people had turned their backs on him because of the action of his wife. He later went to appease the elders of the night and after paying the fine stipulated by them, they agreed to modify the woman's punishment, by proclaiming that from then on, the woman would only see blood once a month which is the menstruation (from Idi Meji) that all women have to this day.

The large-faced drum.
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by 0monnakoda: 10:48am On Oct 09, 2013
It is now a pitiful play
The Iyere is now a dirge
When eyes are two, they watch events unfold
When legs are two, they walk with heavy treading
The rumps are two, they sit on a mat
One hand does not jingle
Also, one leg will not walk with fast treading
How can one refuse to answer a call from responsible people?
I am asked to kneel and greet those before me
I knelt and greeted those before me
I am asked to kneel and greet those behind
They ask, “who are those before one?”
I say one’s paternal ancestors are those before one
They ask, “who are those behind?”
I say it is the Orisa in one’s paternal household that are behind me
When the Swallow Bird builds’ it’s nest
http://orisha.tribe.net/thread/fbbb8232-d63a-4d4d-b5e5-7e9eb3c8d660
It is suspended in the sky
Looking at Olodumare
Looking at human beings on earth
Atangegere, divined for Odusola, child of Arannase
Whose father died when he was a little child
Without the knowledge of how to cast Ifa
Without the knowledge of how to print the Odu
And not having been to Ile Ife to witness Ifa festival
When all ritual elements were assembled for Odusola to start propitiating, he broke into tears.
Saying he did not know if water was to be offered first
Heavenly spirits, descend to make this ritual a success for us
Whether it is gin that should be offered first, I do no know
Whether it is obi that should be offered first, I do not know

***It is now a pitiful play
The Iyere is now a dirge
This should be . It is now a pitiful place . Iyere is a chant.
This is a powerful incantation when rendered in Yoruba by the knowledgeable
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by 0monnakoda: 11:10am On Oct 09, 2013
Pepe, awo ile;
Otita awo ode;
Alapaandede lo kole tan,
Lo kojuu re sodoodo,
Ko kanmi, ko kanke.
O waa kojuu re sodoodo;
A dia fun Oyeepolu,
Omo isoro nife,
Eyi ti iyaa re o fi sile
Ni oun nikan sos lenje lenje.
Igba ti Oyeepolu dagba tan,
Ko mo ohun oro ilee babaa re mo.
Gbogbo nnkan re waa daru.
O wa obinrin ko ri;
Bee ni ko ri ile gbe.
Lo ba meeji keeta,
O looko alawo.
Won ni gbogbo nnkan oro ilee babaa re
To nda a laamu.
Won ni ki o lo
Si oju oori awon babaa re
Ki o maa loo juba.
igba ti o se bee tan,
Lo waa bere sii gbadun araa re
O nlaje,
O lobinrin,
O si bimo pelu.
O ni bee gege ni awon awo oun wi.
Pepe, awo ile;
Otita, awo ode;
Alapaandede lo kole tan,
Lo kojuu re sodoodo;
Ko kanmi, ko kande,
O waa kojuu re sodoodo.
A dia fOyeepolu,
Omo isoro nife,
Oyeepolu o mokan.
Bepo le e koo taale ni,
Emi o mo.
Bobi le e koo fii lele ni,
Emi o mo.
Boti le e koo taa le ni,
Emi o mo.
Oyeepolu o mokan.
Gbogbo isoro orun,
E sure wa,
E waa gboro yi se.Pepe, Ifa priest of the inside of the house;
Otita, Ifa priest of outside;
It is the sparrow which builds it's own nest
And puts its entrance face-down in a curve;
The nest neither touches water nor rest on dry land;
But it's entrance points down in a curve
Ifa divination was performed for Oyeepolu,
Offspring of those who perform the ancient rites of Ife;
Whose mother left all alone
When he was very young.
When Oyeepolu grew up,
He did not know all the rites of his family.
His life became unsettled.
He sought a wife to marry but found none.
And he did not have peace in his own home.
He therefore added two cowries to three
And went to an Ifa priest to perform divination.
He was told it was because of the ancient rites of his family
Which he had forgotten
That he was in such confusion.
He was told to go
To the graves of his fathers,
And ask his ancestors for power and authority,
After he had done so,
He started to enjoy his own life.
He had money,
He married a wife,
And he produced children as well.
He said that is exactly what his Ifa priest predicted.
Pepe, Ifa priest ot the inside of the house;
Otita, Ifa priest of the outside.
It is the sparrow which builds it's own nest
and puts it's entrance face-down in a curve.
The nest neither touches water nor rest on dry land;
But it's entrance points down in a curve.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/yorubaaffairs/U2mlWzc1UuMIfa divination was performed for Oyeepolu,
Offspring of those who perform the ancient rites of Ife;
Oyeepolu did not know anything.
If oil is the first thing to be poured on the ground,
I do not know.
If kolanut is the first thing to be put on the ground,
I do not know.
If wine is the first thing to be poured on the ground,
I do not know.
Oyeepolu did not know anything.
All the divinities and ancestors of heaven,
hasten here,
And help us perform this ritual.
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by hopilo: 11:11am On Oct 09, 2013
geeez:

Its called idolatry

You need to enroll in a school in Osun State to improve on your English

Meanwhile, Ifa, as a subject, tells the history of the Yorubas and you don't have to become an Ifa priest or worshipper

The SW states will introduce Yoruba as a language of instruction alongside English in our schools

Its the way we've chosen to preserve or rich heritage and you can't understand since you don't have a history you want your unborn
generation to be proud of

At least he communicated and you understood

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Chino72: 12:10pm On Oct 09, 2013
Who will deliver the yorubas from all these backwardness deviling them for decades..? cool
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Leward(m): 12:22pm On Oct 09, 2013
hercules07:

Bros read up small, hope you know that part of spain was colonised.
yeah, i know but not by Africans, let me checkup the exact country.
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by nduchucks: 12:57pm On Oct 09, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

The above is a bunch of crap! This ancient manuscripts that contain these secrets were privately revealed to you ko? LWKMD Show us the manuscripts, we will not accept your deception on its face.

Babalawos are like monks. Monks live an austere life.

I dey laugh o.

The reason for the poverty of babalawos is that they are essentially uneducated, without marketable skills, and most are illiterates. I'm sorry if this hurts your feelings, but what I said is true of those babalawos I saw and spoke with from Abeokuta to Ibadan, to Oyo to Ijebu and beyond.
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Leward(m): 12:57pm On Oct 09, 2013
Katsumoto:

9jacrip is correct. Esu is a divine messenger god. He is the messenger between the physical and spiritual world. He is also the enforcer of spiritual justice; when ever man strays away from the instructions of the gods, Orunmila sends Esu to enforce the will of the orisas.
Really? Wait let me recheck.

And your method of argument is better than that of that brainless starfish
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Katsumoto: 1:20pm On Oct 09, 2013
ndu_chucks:

The above is a bunch of crap! This ancient manuscripts that contain these secrets were privately revealed to you ko? LWKMD Show us the manuscripts, we will not accept your deception on its face.

I dey laugh o.

The reason for the poverty of babalawos is that they are essentially uneducated, without marketable skills, and most are illiterates. I'm sorry if this hurts your feelings, but what I said is true of those babalawos I saw and spoke with from Abeokuta to Ibadan, to Oyo to Ijebu and beyond.

The concept of piety is alien to you being that most pastors and senior imams are rich in Nigeria. Fela captured the reality in 'Coffin for head of state'. How rich are Catholic priests or Buddhist monks? A life in servitude to God's work requires servitude.
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by 0monnakoda: 1:36pm On Oct 09, 2013
ndu_chucks:

I dey laugh o.

The problem here is you come from a culture where money is your god and human worth is valued in terms of money. i.e "he who has more money is greater or somehow a more worthwhile person" Your comment reflects that mindset and worldview totally.

Not every person who performs rituals or consultations is a "babalawo" There are different terms e.g Onisegun etc for such practitioners. Babalawos are priests of a religion and whether or not they are poor is a reflection of their community if they are in a poor community they probably would be poor which is a far cry from our private jet owning pastors of evangelical persuasion.
Those who study Ifa or most other religions are are encouraged to shun worldly possessions so being poor as you call it is neither here nor there. Poverty ultimately is in the mind not in possesions and that is why many of your folk are boastful; They still feel poor no matter how much they accummulate

I do not know of any country where genuine priests are a rich class unless the country overall is rich. In Burma monks go out daily to beg for what they eat and are not expected to own ANYTHING.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKuOVPa9Ycg
Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by Pukkah: 2:23pm On Oct 09, 2013
ndu_chucks:

So you expect them to be multi-millionaires or own jets?

Are religious priests supposed to be respected for their piety/spirituality or financial networth?

The people you have derisively referred to as illiterates possess tons of knowledge although some of them are not lettered in the Western way. Many of them can read and write very well, yet you've tagged them as illiterates. Would you refer to malams that are knowledgeable in Shariah, Fiqh and Balaga as illiterates just because they don't speak English?

I knew from the start that you're here to ridicule the concept and not to learn about it with an open mind.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bizzare: Aregbesola Introduces Ifa As A Subject In Osun State Schools by kofoshi: 10:34pm On Oct 09, 2013
Really?

Uneducated you say? What then do you make of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW-tHypvvxM

Honestly, you need to shut your mouth rather than open it and come out with putrid fallacies. It is better for you to keep schtum than open you dirty mouth and take away all doubt that you are indeed stup1d and an arrant fool!

Another one for you, ode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEsJNRW-3XQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77MmZGlM-Qk
ndu_chucks:

I dey laugh o.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ituah Ighodalo: Nigerians Must Vote For President Who Truly Cares / FG Steps Up Oil Theft Probe, Begins Prosecution / Police Warn Against Protest Over Kano Gov’s Sacking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.