Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,592 members, 7,809,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:18 AM

Atheism Is Irrational. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism Is Irrational. (7382 Views)

Atheism Is A Religion: Kolooyinbo Explains. / Christianity Is Irrational (10 questions) / 3 Reasons Why Theism Is Irrational Compared To Atheism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheism Is Irrational. by italo: 9:52am On Oct 07, 2013
Atheism is just as irrational and ignorant as it claims theism is.

Atheism has no empirical evidence to back its bogus claims: "God doesn't exist. God is a myth" yet it expects theists to believe its positions on God which is based on blind faith, not reason.

4 Likes

Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:13am On Oct 07, 2013
Why are you worried about what atheist do or do not believe?
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by italo: 10:42am On Oct 07, 2013
^^^

Why are you worried about what I say Atheists believe or do not believe?
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by Nobody: 10:43am On Oct 07, 2013
italo: Atheism is just as irrational and ignorant as it claims theism is.

Atheism has no empirical evidence to back its bogus claims: "God doesn't exist. God is a myth" yet it expects theists to believe its positions on God which is based on blind faith, not reason.

Lol!!!

Thought your first thread ever would have been on Catholicism or something related...

@Topic: Atheism as you defined it is arguably irrational but when we view it as a disbelief in any deity, then I have to say that it is quite rational based on the 'evidence' available for now.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by italo: 11:00am On Oct 07, 2013
striktlymi:

Lol!!!

Thought your first thread ever would have been on Catholicism or something related...

@Topic: Atheism as you defined it is arguably irrational but when we view it as a disbelief in any deity, then I have to say that it is quite rational based on the 'evidence' available for now.

LOL! Such an irony.

Well, I'm sure I'll be starting threads on Catholicism in the coming days. I'm still trying to figure out how to go about it as regards a few considerations...e.g:

Whether to address them to Catholics or everyone.

How to reduce derogatory comments to the barest minimum.

What topics to talk about and whether to include them in the few 'Catholic' threads available or open new ones.

One the other hand, I opened this thread because many Theists dont know this about Atheism. They let Atheists get away with so much false assumptions simply because they dont know how to prove them to be false.

@topic, I have never met a professed Atheist who doesnt claim that "God doesnt exist." I dont know if you have.

Except these people are not really Atheists but something else.

"Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist."--Wikipedia
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by EvilBrain1(m): 11:33am On Oct 07, 2013

Christianity is just as irrational and ignorant as it claims pastafarianism is.

Christianity has no empirical evidence to hack its bogus claims: "The Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't exist. The Flying Spaghetti Monster is a myth" yet it expects pastafarians to believe its positions on the Flying Spaghetti Monster which is based on blind faith, not reason.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by EvilBrain1(m): 11:38am On Oct 07, 2013

Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by Nobody: 11:39am On Oct 07, 2013
italo:

LOL! Such an irony.

Lol! Yep!

italo:
Well, I'm sure I'll be starting threads on Catholicism in the coming days. I'm still trying to figure out how to go about it as regards a few considerations...e.g:

That'll be cool! Frankly, I think it's about time you started.

italo:
Whether to address them to Catholics or everyone.

Given that you've been one of the foremost defenders of the faith aka Catholic apologist, I guess you are faced with the task of addressing your posts to everyone (Catholics, Protestants, Pentecostals, Atheists, Pagans, Deists etc) with a view to letting them know what the Church is really about. With this in mind, I believe your threads should also address everyone too.

italo:
How to reduce derogatory comments to the barest minimum.

Hmmm...

That'll be kinda tough considering that a number of non-Catholic Christians consider it a favour done to God when they make derogatory comments about the Church and it's Sons and Daughters. Anyways, I want to believe that the mods can help out here.

italo:
What topics to talk about and whether to include them in the few 'Catholic' threads available or open new ones.

I guess it depends on a number of factors, ranging from whether an existent thread adequately addresses the ish you want to talk about or not, to how topical the ish you have in mind are.

Whatever you decide to do, I believe a combination of posting in threads and creating yours might just do the trick.

italo:
One the other hand, I opened this thread because many Theists dont know this about Atheism. They let Atheists get away with so much false assumptions simply because they dont know how to prove them to be false.

Yea, rather sad but true. A number of us, Theists, are rather lazy in figuring things out for ourselves and making researches concerning stuff about our faith and the beliefs or disbeliefs of others. I think an attempt at enlightening folks on this ish is a step in the right direction.

italo:
@topic, I have never met a professed Atheist who doesnt claim that "God doesnt exist." I dont know if you have.

Um...that would be a NO!!! I have come in contact with Atheists who say they only disbelieve but a closer look would reveal that they are just part of the 'bandwagon'.

Anyways, I believe there are some folks who are Atheists because they lack the requisite experience of the person of God and try really hard to live a good life. These, would believe in God and worship him if they get the much needed 'exposure' which can only be achieved by God himself.

italo:
Except these people are not really Atheists but something else.

"Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist."--Wikipedia

The above reveals two sets of Atheists. One who only disbelieve because he lacks the needed exposure and the other who outrightly believe that there is no God despite the obvious irrationality in holding that view.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by DeepSight(m): 11:53am On Oct 07, 2013
Evil Brain:

Christianity has no empirical evidence to hack its bogus claims: "The Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't exist. The Flying Spaghetti Monster is a myth" yet it expects pastafarians to believe its positions on the Flying Spaghetti Monster which is based on blind faith, not reason.

The only problem with this response is that there are no pastafarians in existence.

Also, the sentence would read just as well if the word in red is replaced with "Atheism."

Neither Christians nor atheists believe in the FSM. In fact, no one does, and as a philosophical retort to theism, its puerile.

3 Likes

Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by EvilBrain1(m): 12:05pm On Oct 07, 2013
Deep Sight:

The only problem with this response is that there are no pastafarians in existence.

Also, the sentence would read just as well if the word in red is replaced with "Atheism."

Neither Christians nor atheists believe in the FSM. In fact, no one does, and as a philosophical retort to theism, its puerile.

What gives you the right to declare what other people do or do not believe in? How dare you call my religion puerile? How is is any less credible than yours?

You Christians have started with your legendary intolerance and bigotry again. But the pastafarians will stand strong, even in the face of persecution.

Also atheists aren't making any positive claims that they need to defend. They are just pointing out that your claims have no evidence backing them, and refusing to believe such claims until evidence is produced.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by italo: 12:37pm On Oct 07, 2013
Evil Brain:

Oh! The claim isnt "Theists are irrational" anymore. It is now "we are all irrational."

It seems like I have achieved something.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:44pm On Oct 07, 2013
Deep Sight:

this is a big fail argument. So if you actually see someone that belives in FSM, what does that do to your twisted argument?

What of those that believe in Amadioha? Are you going to claim that they don't exist as well?
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:45pm On Oct 07, 2013
italo:

Oh! The claim isnt "Theists are irrational" anymore. It is now "we are all irrational."

It seems like I have achieved something.

Lack of grammar comprehension lessons shows.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by italo: 12:51pm On Oct 07, 2013
Evil Brain:
Also atheists aren't making any positive claims that they need to defend.

1. Atheists do make positive claims e.g God is only a myth.

2. Whoever said only positive statements should be defended?

If I said Evil Brain is NOT normal (no disrespect), wouldnt I be expected to defend it?

Evil Brain:
They are just pointing out that your claims have no evidence backing them, and refusing to believe such claims until evidence is produced.

They dont just point that out. They go as far as asserting that my claims are false without any evidence for/against my claims.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by italo: 12:54pm On Oct 07, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

Lack of grammar comprehension lessons shows.

Permit me to refrain from cheap insults and face the topic.

Thank you .
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by DeepSight(m): 12:55pm On Oct 07, 2013
Evil Brain:

What gives you the right to declare what other people do or do not believe in? How dare you call my religion puerile? How is is any less credible than yours?

Well we both know that there is no person who believes in FSM as his God/ Creator, and so I cannot countenance that as a serious counter-argument to theism. It remains at best, puerile mockery, and certainly cannot be taken seriously in any proper discussion about the theistic-atheistic divide: namely the question of the existence of a primordial creator of all that exists.

You Christians have started with your legendary intolerance and bigotry again. But the pastafarians will stand strong, even in the face of persecution.

They will have to exist first, to stand strong, my friend.

Also atheists aren't making any positive claims that they need to defend. They are just pointing out that your claims have no evidence backing them, and refusing to believe such claims until evidence is produced.

Every single thing you see about you (and the fact that you see: also the fact that there is a "you" who sees) is and remains overflowing and excessive evidence of Creator and the work of the Creator.

It is rather the most strange and illogical mind, who, beholding the totality of life, (and of time, of memory, of past, of future) concludes still the contrary.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by DeepSight(m): 12:58pm On Oct 07, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

this is a big fail argument. So if you actually see someone that belives in FSM, what does that do to your twisted argument?

I cannot countenance jokes within a proper debate please. No one believes in FSM as a creator God. You do know that to be true, so please try not to waste precious time on such an argument.

The eternal question remains: does an eternal creator of all that began to exist, exist or not?

That is the question, and it does nothing to address the question, to simply create fantastical concepts such as FSM and apply such concepts towards idle mockery.

What of those that believe in Amadioha? Are you going to claim that they don't exist as well?

We know that they exist, and abundantly so, and their belief is also a breed of theistic thought, and is deeply rooted in history and spiritual antiquity, and is not, as with FSM, a concept garbled up for the sake of idle mockery or argument.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by italo: 1:02pm On Oct 07, 2013
@ Striktlymi, I think I've some very needed motivation. Thanks.

On the various kinds of Atheists, I get your point.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by mazaje(m): 1:03pm On Oct 07, 2013
OP show define god and show us how such a god exist, that will keep all atheist quite, until the OP does that he can only delude himself by saying god exist, god is just a an idea that relies on belief and the people that buy into that idea and belief system are what exist not the gods themselves. . .Can the OP show us that Zeus the ancient Greek god or Shiva the Hindu goddess are u not the creators of the universe?. . There is no difference between the Hindu goddess Shiva and christian god. . .All are creation of men and exist only in the minds of their believers. . .
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by DeepSight(m): 1:07pm On Oct 07, 2013
mazaje: OP show define god and show us how such a god exist, that will keep all atheist quite, until the OP does that he can only delude himself by saying god exist, god is just a an idea that relies on belief and the people that buy into that idea and belief system are what exist not the gods themselves. . .Can the OP show us that Zeus the ancient Greek god or Shiva the Hindu goddess are u not the creators of the universe?. . There is no difference between the Hindu goddess Shiva and christian god. . .All are creation of men and exist only in the minds of their believers. . .

Your reference to the existence of various ideas of God or gods, does nothing whatsoever to address the pure philosophical and logical question of the existence of a Creator or Creators of the universe.

That question is that which stands between the atheist and theist, and not the haggle as to identity: Zeus, Jesus, Yahweh, Allah, Shiva, Brahman, et all.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:13pm On Oct 07, 2013
italo:

Permit me to refrain from cheap insults and face the topic.

Thank you .

Try to understand before responding.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by mazaje(m): 1:20pm On Oct 07, 2013
Deep Sight:

Your reference to the existence of various ideas of God or gods, does nothing whatsoever to address the pure philosophical and logical question of the existence of a Creator or Creators of the universe.

That question is that which stands between the atheist and theist, and not the haggle as to identity: Zeus, Jesus, Yahweh, Allah, Shiva, Brahman, et all.

All gods remain man made ideas. . .That is why there are many gods. . .belief is what makes god live, once people stop believing in gods they die off. . .Ra used to be a very powerful god in ancient Egypt. . .Many of the gods our ancestors worshiped are now dead after the Europeans and Arabs invaded our lands and forced us to accept their own version of gods. . .Gods remain a man made idea. . .FACT. . .
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by F00028: 1:21pm On Oct 07, 2013
Evil Brain:
Also atheists aren't making any positive claims that they need to defend...

how very convenient wink
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by italo: 1:22pm On Oct 07, 2013
mazaje: OP show define god and show us how such a god exist, that will keep all atheist quite, until the OP does that he can only delude himself by saying god exist, god is just a an idea that relies on belief and the people that buy into that idea and belief system are what exist not the gods themselves. . .Can the OP show us that Zeus the ancient Greek god or Shiva the Hindu goddess are u not the creators of the universe?. . There is no difference between the Hindu goddess Shiva and christian god. . .All are creation of men and exist only in the minds of their believers. . .

Let me simplify the OP for you.

This thread was not opened to show Atheists the evidence for God.

It was opened to show that Atheists like you are just as irrational as you claim Theists are when you assert that God doesnt exist, without having empirical evidence - only blind faith.

I pray you can understand it now. Amen.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by italo: 1:25pm On Oct 07, 2013
mazaje:

All gods remain man made ideas. . .That is why there are many gods. . .belief is what makes god live, once people stop believing in gods they die off. . .Ra used to be a very powerful god in ancient Egypt. . .Many of the gods our ancestors worshiped are now dead after the Europeans and Arabs invaded our lands and forced us to accept their own version of gods. . .Gods remain a man made idea. . .FACT. . .

The bold is what I am talking about.

An Atheist declares that statement to be "FACT" without any semblance of evidence for it.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by mazaje(m): 1:35pm On Oct 07, 2013
italo:

Let me simplify the OP for you.

This thread was not opened to show Atheists the evidence for God.

It was opened to show that Atheists like you are just as irrational as you claim Theists are when you assert that God doesnt exist, without having empirical evidence - only blind faith.

I pray you can understand it now. Amen.
italo:

An Atheist declares that statement to be "FACT" without any semblance of evidence for it.

What evidence or fact do you need that has not being shown to you already?. . .No theist has ever presented ANY evidence to show that his god exist any where, all what the theist have presented are ideas and arguments. . .You claim god exist as a living being and all you can do when asked to present evidence is to present ideple and monuments foras. . .

No god exist because all gods are man made. . .All gods were created by humans as such no god can be shown to exist on its own with out human input. . .Humans wrote all the words of god, humans are the ones that define such gods and attribute to them what ever character they chose to assign to them, humans are the ones that preach to others about their god ideas, fight and kill for their gods, convert others and speak to them on behalf of their various gods, build monuments and shrines for their gods, do everything for their gods because no god exist, no god has ever done anything for any body because non exist. . .God remains a human idea, it is the idea that exist not the gods themselves as such no god can be shown to exist without human input because humans created all gods and as a result there are different gods, even in your own religion your church has a very different idea and conception of god compared to say a white garment christian or a seven day adventist. . .All gods are man made. .
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by mazaje(m): 1:36pm On Oct 07, 2013
italo:

Its a fact that all gods are man made. . .That is why there are different gods and religion because men created all gods and religion. . .
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:37pm On Oct 07, 2013
Deep Sight:

I cannot countenance jokes within a proper debate please. No one believes in FSM as a creator God. You do know that to be true, so please try not to waste precious time on such an argument.

The eternal question remains: does an eternal creator of all that began to exist, exist or not?

That is the question, and it does nothing to address the question, to simply create fantastical concepts such as FSM and apply such concepts towards idle mockery.

We know that they exist, and abundantly so, and their belief is also a breed of theistic thought, and is deeply rooted in history and spiritual antiquity, and is not, as with FSM, a concept garbled up for the sake of idle mockery or argument.

It is telling that of all religions and theist beliefs in the world, the FSM belief is the only one you singled out as a mockery. This is a religion that is recognised in many countries.

In any case, if we are to argue about the existence of a creator, then you need to define what you mean by "a creator". A being? A substance? A chemical reaction? An energy source? What exactly? After that definition we can then see if it really exists. And moreover if it corresponds to any of the gods the theists are trying to force down our throats.

Even if the FSM is a joke that was meant to mock theism, it doesn't mean that it is impossible. You see, there is no possible way you can prove that the FSM did not create the universe and everything in it. Is there?
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by Nobody: 1:40pm On Oct 07, 2013
I'm hoping to see an atheist show that atheism is rational. And please don't hold unto theism.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:43pm On Oct 07, 2013
Reyginus: I'm hoping to see an atheist show that atheism is rational. And please don't hold unto theism.

I don't see how a default position can be described as irrational. It is only one whose natural brain function has been corrupted by the sermons of the godly, that can hold such absurd positions as to call perfectly rational beings irrational.
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by Nobody: 1:48pm On Oct 07, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

I don't see how a default position can be described as irrational. It is only one whose natural brain function has been corrupted by the sermons of the godly, that can hold such absurd positions as to call perfectly rational beings irrational.
Lol. First of all, I didn't say that atheism is irrational. I am only exhibiting a trace of rational sceptism. Secondly, are you by the above implying that there shouldn't be any reason for asserting some things? Or that a default position transcends logic?
Re: Atheism Is Irrational. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:52pm On Oct 07, 2013
Reyginus: Lol. First of all, I didn't say that atheism is irrational. I am only exhibiting a trace of rational sceptism. Secondly, are you by the above implying that there shouldn't be any reason for asserting some things? Or that a default position transcends logic?

A default position is by nature, the logical position.
For those in non logical position to accuse those in the logical position of irrationality can only mean one thing: projection.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Does The Bible Ever Refer To Jesus Christ As “god”? / Come Now Let Us Reason Together / Evolutionist: How Do You Explain Human Lifespan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.