Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,668 members, 7,955,436 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:35 AM

Lagos To Eject Occupants From Roads’ Setbacks, Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Eject Occupants From Roads’ Setbacks, Others (1561 Views)

Are Bridges Different From Roads? / Chime Attempts To Eject Wife From State House "Detention" / Beggars Storm Lagos Assembly Over Removal From Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos To Eject Occupants From Roads’ Setbacks, Others by olatade(m): 2:04pm On Oct 07, 2013
Lagos State Government says it is set to commence the enforcement and clearing of illegal occupants along Right of Ways and road setbacks on major highways and expressway across the state.

The exercise, which the government said would be massive, was also meant to ensure sustainability on the state highways.

Commissioner for the Environment, Tunji Bello, in a statement on Sunday, said the government was worried that residents of the state were gradually turning roads in the state to other things they were not meant for.

Bello said, “It is  disheartening to see how our major roads and highways like Apapa-Oshodi Expressway, Ikorodu Road, Agege Motor Road, Lagos Badagry Expressway, Victoria Island, Ikoyi, Ojuelegba/Stadium and Surulere  have been converted to auto marts, mechanic workshop, furniture workshop and  vulcanizers workshops among others.

“It is so embarrassing to see how our road setbacks have been turned to mobile markets and so on. This is completely against the Environmental Laws of the state as well as the Federal Highway Act.

“Globally, expressways constitute an important link in the economy chain of a nation.  They are also conceived primarily to safely carry large volumes of traffic between two locations.

“According to international standard, a Right of Way is a statutory corridor through which the road passes. For this class of roads, 75 meters is measured from the outer edge of the road on both sides.

“The corridor is usually demarcated from its surroundings, by fencing and landscaping or deliberate vegetation along its entire length. The aim is to make it impossible for vehicles, human and stray animals to enter the road from both sides and thereby prevent hazard or impediment to prevent free flow of traffic.”

The commissioner said the current practice, where sidewalks and road setbacks had become markets on the Lagos Ibadan Expressway, Apapa-Oshodi Expresway, Agege Motor Road and other major roads would no longer be allowed.

http://www.punchng.com/news/lagos-to-eject-occupants-from-roads-setbacks-others/
Re: Lagos To Eject Occupants From Roads’ Setbacks, Others by geeez: 3:32pm On Oct 07, 2013
More people to be reunited with their families shortly

We need to build more of malls and only allow shops on high streets like Oxford with limited but standard roadside kiosks like you'll find on London's busiest street which can in our own case sell retail items like airtime and newspapers

Enough of all these roadside shops defacing the streets and creating hideouts for criminals and uncouth traders that harass ladies in the name of selling

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Eject Occupants From Roads’ Setbacks, Others by fromuk(m): 3:38pm On Oct 07, 2013
This is good. Other states should follow ASAP. The idea of selling tomato, fish, garden egg and other vegs along rail line should stop. Not only the health hazard to the seller it is also not hygienic. Mama put is only my regrets. cheesy
Re: Lagos To Eject Occupants From Roads’ Setbacks, Others by Abok1(m): 3:44pm On Oct 07, 2013
I doubt if the governor would be able to carry out this plan especially when its close to the next general election, because I see this proposal as an opportunity for the opposition to milk the situation to their advantage, at the end of which the governor might be forced to defenestrate his idea based on dissenting opinions.

I may be wrong in my assumptions as the governor might be prepared to flash the dactylion at the opposition and still steer clear of controversy, in which case it would be a double whammy with regards to the outcome.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Eject Occupants From Roads’ Setbacks, Others by iterator25: 4:11pm On Oct 07, 2013
Abok1: I doubt if the governor would be able to carry out this plan especially when its close to the next general election, because I see this proposal as an opportunity for the opposition to milk the situation to their advantage, at the end of which the governor might be forced to defenestrate his idea based on dissenting opinions.

I may be wrong in my assumptions as the governor might be prepared to flash the dactylion at the opposition and still steer clear of controversy, in which case it would be a double whammy with regards to the outcome.

mollar..
Re: Lagos To Eject Occupants From Roads’ Setbacks, Others by iterator25: 4:13pm On Oct 07, 2013
geeez: More 'flat heads' to be reunited with their families shortly

BRB
Re: Lagos To Eject Occupants From Roads’ Setbacks, Others by WildChild00(m): 4:30pm On Oct 07, 2013
This is a welcome development frm the Lagos State Governement, let the streets and major roads of Lagos State be free frm trading.
Re: Lagos To Eject Occupants From Roads’ Setbacks, Others by ba7man(m): 4:43pm On Oct 07, 2013
Slowly but surely, Lagos is loosing that haphazard look caused by the lawless nature of some of its inhabitants.

(1) (Reply)

Is This Man Well? / Transformation: Understanding The Growth Enhancement Support Scheme For Farmers / Why Can't GEJ Buy This For Our ARMY?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.