Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,211 members, 7,815,228 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? (17180 Views)

Why Does The Milk Always Finish Before The Bournvita? / How To Prepare Egusi Soup - - The Ultimate Guide / How To Prepare Stew (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by stephano100(m): 7:19pm On Oct 11, 2013
prety diva: I luv eatin beans like mad.infact dats wat 'm eatin nw.beans n fried plantain.but I cook my beans 4 like 4hrs b4 it is done. cos I like it wen its very soft
oh boi! Ur gas go worse pass d 1 dem use 4 hiroshima nd nagasaki sha...lol
Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by seegobe(m): 7:24pm On Oct 11, 2013
ask google
Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by dominique(f): 7:28pm On Oct 11, 2013
I don't know what the op is talking about o. My beans take over an hour to get done the way I like it. I would be very uneasy with any beans that takes less than that to cook.

KingMEXX: I think its called kafanje beans....tiny in size

Those ones take forever to cook o. My dad brought something similar home one day like that. It was very easy to pick cos It was neat but cooking eh!!! From 12 noon to 10pm on electric cooker, we kept adding water over and over again. We completely lost appetite for the beans when it was done. Na the pesin wey bring dat kain end time beans chop im tin alone tongue.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by XwhY(m): 7:33pm On Oct 11, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:
Back then, before the advancement of genetics, beans had much sulphuric contents, which make them harder to cook. But due to hybridization and progressive genetics, those with less sulpuric contents are being made everyday and sold to farmers. In time to come, we may only need cold water to melt the beans and it'll be ready.
Please, forget about all I said above, I have no idea what I was saying. Thank you.
*eats a spoon of beans and farts twice*
Chai! And dis badt guy don dey drive me gooo.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by mickywonder: 7:41pm On Oct 11, 2013
youngibe: Guy! Are you lost or you are high on something? Wat has this got to do with Beans cooking?
kwakwakwakwakwakwakwahohohohohohoooohahhahahahahahahehhehehehehhe!hawusubillahi!
Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Oct 11, 2013
All those dat use 40minutes 2cook beans, kudos 2una. I wonda if u even wash d beans for d 1st tym.talk more of 2nd tym dats y u guys polute d air anyhow because u cant jst take ur tym 2cook gud food

1 Like

Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by kolidave: 8:16pm On Oct 11, 2013
Chai this thread dey make me remember my beans for skoo!!!!!! E go don spoil naw. See Werrin ASUU cause. Anyways if I see bean weevil for inside wen I resume,I go still chop am like that (˘̯˘ ) . Na that kine beans dey sweet pass
Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by goldenspoon: 8:19pm On Oct 11, 2013
Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Oct 11, 2013
youngibe: and thanks to dem too, the average life span of a nigerian has dropd to 45yrs due to high rate of chemically grown crops and junks dat we consume and call them food.
My broda, u need 2 do ur home work very well b/4 reaching conclusion. You too hear it well, u said d average life span of nigerians is 45yrs, it may be so, but know that other nations with higher average lifespan do consume junks than we do. How many genetically modified foods do we consume in nigeria? Less than 1% according to FAO. So what contributes to our low average lifespan in Nigeria is POVERTY. Over 60% of nigerian population are undernourished, so how do you expect better lifespan? Besides, there's clear difference between genetic improvement & genetic modification, dont mix them 2geda.
Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by pbling: 8:27pm On Oct 11, 2013
ya beans na fake,lol
Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by ryom(m): 8:36pm On Oct 11, 2013
Cook beans with a pressure cooker and you're done in 15 mins.
Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by researchgenes(m): 8:40pm On Oct 11, 2013
Simple....U no longer use kerosine to boil or cook ur beans but ur gas cooker...and d gas flames makes d cooking process faster than before.
Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Oct 11, 2013
hv nt really taken note of this bt either way i lyk eating my beans regardless of hw long it takes. if it lyks let it take one wk i ll wait nd i must eat it.
*takes one spoon of beans*
*farts and changes location*

1 Like

Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Oct 11, 2013
hv nt really taken note of this bt either way i lyk eating my beans regardless of hw long it takes. if it lyks let it take one wk i ll wait nd i must eat it.
*takes one spoon of beans*
*farts, carries his plate of beans and changes location*

1 Like

Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by FREEDON: 9:43pm On Oct 11, 2013
If your beans takes more time to cook..jst take it to tb joshua for delivrance.
Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Oct 11, 2013
I wonder why the beans they sell here in Ibadan takes like forever to cook.... infact I have port to indomie.....lol
Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by BenGlobal1(m): 9:58pm On Oct 11, 2013
Latest technology
Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by Tamitee(f): 10:01pm On Oct 11, 2013
o'boy:
ETB (end time beans)
♠...ℓoℓ...♠...U̶̲̅ are very bad
Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by Seequadry(m): 10:15pm On Oct 11, 2013
Beans wey don done within 30min was made in CHINA
Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by DBlackCeazer(m): 11:07pm On Oct 11, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:
Back then, before the advancement of genetics, beans had much sulphuric contents, which make them harder to cook. But due to hybridization and progressive genetics, those with less sulpuric contents are being made everyday and sold to farmers. In time to come, we may only need cold water to melt the beans and it'll be ready.
Please, forget about all I said above, I have no idea what I was saying. Thank you.
lmao!

1 Like

Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by donezra(m): 11:36pm On Oct 11, 2013
Cykik: All those dat use 40minutes 2cook beans, kudos 2una. I wonda if u even wash d beans for d 1st tym.talk more of 2nd tym dats y u guys polute d air anyhow because u cant jst take ur tym 2cook gud food

i think they do the next cooking in hell fire.
Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by DexxyAlebs(m): 12:35am On Oct 12, 2013
tjskii: My own beans stil takes an hour thirty minutes to cook o,infact na only once a month I dey cook beans now,make e no finish my gas undecided
lol go and buy Ewa Oloyin
Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by adeoflagos: 1:31am On Oct 12, 2013
There may be multiple reasons why it sometime take longer for some beans to cook. These may be:
- Storage time (the longer the time the beans is in storage before being cooked the tougher the beans become)
- Type of water; whether you are using soft or hard water
- Time that salt is added (more explanation about the salt below)
- Some say altitude (pressure effect) - that's why pressure cooker works faster - maybe we can ask someone from Bolivia how fast their beans
get cooked.

This site have some explanation: http://www.usdrybeans.com/recipes/recipe-facts/
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/295724

Typically, salty water makes any substance (with a semi-permeable membrane) in it to loose water in the opposite direction. Meaning that water will move from the substance (beans in this case) into the salty water. If you remember, your secondary school biology topic on Osmotic Theory; movement of liquid from a solution with a lower (solute) concentration to that with a higher (solute) concentration through a semi-permeable membrane. Any material that looses water usually becomes tough. You not only need heat to make something soft but you need water as well. This may also explain why some cooked corns are hard no matter how long you cook them.

In the case of beans, it appear that there may be multiple of reasons why it takes longer sometime. Maybe the guy that had a cooked beans in 20 minutes used water with a chemical composition that made the beans soft faster.

3 Likes

Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by Gabreal1(m): 1:38am On Oct 12, 2013
kolidave: Chai this thread dey make me remember my beans for skoo!!!!!! E go don spoil naw. See Werrin ASUU cause. Anyways if I see bean weevil for inside wen I resume,I go still chop am like that (˘̯˘ ) . Na that kine beans dey sweet pass
Lmao!! weevil sef nah protein.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by tomakint: 1:53am On Oct 12, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:
Back then, beans had much sulphuric contents, which make them harder to cook. But due to hybridization and progressive genetics, those with less sulpuric contents are being made everyday and sold to farmers. In time to come, we may only need cold water to melt the beans and it'll be ready.
Maddest Post of the YEAR grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by Cabsso(m): 3:23am On Oct 12, 2013
IYA NGBALI: Beans don dey wise now,you think say he dey easy to dey for fire?beans don wise up.
lwkmd just hop say i no go die because of una 1day.
Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by HolyHolla(m): 4:01am On Oct 12, 2013
Try Saro beans... or Cotonou beans. You'll still be sitting by your gas cooker after 2 hours. Even when you add the little rocks of 'kaun', those bean seeds would cry out, "who side?"

Now o, who stole my fridjon after all the wahala of Good Friday cooking?

1 Like

Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by Datruggedman: 5:43am On Oct 12, 2013
datz why since 9years i havent eaten beans,joke apart,am telin u d truth,
Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by Sability(m): 6:21am On Oct 12, 2013
Preciousone4ril: first to comment.

na hungry dey catch you?Loool
Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by MMotimo: 7:07am On Oct 12, 2013
@ Post

When did it take long?
Use a pressure cooker, they've been around for decades
Good for boiling meat too
Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by COYG: 7:17am On Oct 12, 2013
OP why did u notice dis b4 me? I was about noticing it!
Re: Why Does Beans Take Less Time To Prepare These Days? by stariobran(f): 8:55am On Oct 12, 2013
o'boy:
ETB (end time beans)

Lmao. This changed my mood this morn', dunno why.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Want To Slim Down Pls Advice What Should I Do? / Recipe: How To Prepare Nigerian Samosa / How To Make Hibiscus Drink (zobo) - Pics And Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.