Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,454 members, 7,830,254 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:43 PM

Travelling To Canada Part 5 - Travel (257) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 5 (611682 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by Project400: 6:17pm On Dec 30, 2013
Fhemmmy:

1.5M Naira will only be enough to feed you and pay for your accommodation and not even gonna transport you around . . .

hmm... huge investment
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by Fhemmmy: 6:17pm On Dec 30, 2013
ChriGo: ....Congrats my brother.....God is indeed great..i dont need to tell you Oga Fhemmmy is watching you and his imaginary Gala in 3D grin....

I am even watching in 200 D oh . . Cos i almost finish all the gala i get oh
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by ChriGo(m): 6:19pm On Dec 30, 2013
Fhemmmy:

I am even watching in 200 D oh . . Cos i almost finish all the gala i get oh
... grin...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by FISLAG: 6:27pm On Dec 30, 2013
ChriGo: .....My chairman....compliment to you...did paper route during my application.....applied for someone online and just checking if their is any response yet.....since my guy said he was having problems with the online service...i just had to log in and double check if am gonna experience same......

Ok, I was able to log in too. When did the person apply and has he been called for medics? Online route takes actually about a month and 2 weeks before you get called for TRV. I applied on the 12th of November and got called for my medics 10th dec 4weeks afta application ( but its usually 3 weeks precisely as stated on the site if you were to get a denial, I know this becos my 1st application decision was received in exactly 3 weeks). By 20th dec they had received my medics and it was stated online that I passed my medical examination. And then got called for TRV today 30th dec. #oluwa was largely involved#

PS: I be chair lady o! #smiles
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by jamebex(m): 6:31pm On Dec 30, 2013
jamebex: Hi all, Compliment! I'd like to get some advice from you guys.

I'm not entirely a novice on the subject having followed this thread for quite some time now.

To start with, I'm a graduate of Biochemistry from a State University in Nigeria. I graduated with a not so great CGPA albeit that it is not poor either, 4.06 out of a possible 5.0. Huhhhh poor me!

I am currently serving my Fatherland (NYSC) and would like to further my studies in Canada, that is, get a Masters in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology even go on to PhD; I'd like to be a research Prof. I am looking at the Fall 2013 or Winter 2015 cycle.

Firstly, I have come up with a list of three schools I'd like to apply to, they are McMaster University, Dalhousie University and University of Calgary.
I'd like to get general comment about my choice of school considering my choice of course.

Secondly, I have somewhat researched the schools and they stated on their website that all Graduate students admitted into the program are guaranteed a Graduate stipend which covers Tuition and cost of living, however they can't be accepted into the program without first getting a supervisor.
How difficult is getting supervisor in those schools and how can i set up myself to stand a better chance. I don't have millions to spend oh!, I am just serving and want to go after service.

Thanks and I appreciate any advice and insight that will be offered.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by ChriGo(m): 6:36pm On Dec 30, 2013
FISLAG:

Ok, I was able to log in too. When did the person apply and has he been called for medics? Online route takes actually about a month and 2 weeks before you get called for TRV. I applied on the 12th of November and got called for my medics 10th dec 4weeks afta application ( but its usually 3 weeks precisely as stated on the site if you were to get a denial, I know this becos my 1st application decision was received in exactly 3 weeks). By 20th dec they had received my medics and it was stated online that I passed my medical examination. And then got called for TRV today 30th dec. #oluwa was largely involved#

.....Actually it was alot more faster than that before dis biometrics palava started...its still pretty much better than the paper route wia you have to wait for 3-5months before you get a response.....hmmm!!! so you be Lady....mehn!! your name sound maleish grin.....Biko edit your Nairaland account jare make all man see say you be female.....Nice move on your visa application....Oluwa was Extra Largely involved.....Congrats.......

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by freeman533: 6:39pm On Dec 30, 2013
freeman533: I asked for assistance but haven't gotten any....well i have another thing i wish to be helped out with.We learn everyday.
I searched for a school and was told i have to pay this as tution

Science Tuition Fees - International Students
per 6 credit hours - 2,767.50
per 3 credit hours - 1383.75

Registration Fee (Non-Refundable)
6 credit hours - 31.80
3 credit hours - 15.90

Student Life Fee (Non-Refundable)
6 credit hours - 32.40
3 credit hours - 16.20

Information Technology Fee
(Non-Refundable)
6 credit hours - 30.00
3 credit hours - 15.00

Facilities Fee .......... 119.70

Wellness Centre Fee ...30.00

Athletic Levy ........... 37.75

Lab Fees (on applicable courses)
6 credit hours......... 56.70
3 credit hours......... 28.35

Theatre Levy (on applicable courses)
6 credit hours......... 11.10
3 credit hours......... 5.55

Co-op Work Term Fee ......... 406.35

Practicum Fee in Education
Second Year Practicum Fee - 55.35
Third Year Practicum Fee - 83.10
Fourth Year Practicum Block Fee - 138.45
Fifth Year Practicum Block Fee - 138.45
*Students in fourth year and fifth year are
charged a practicum fee of $138.45 per block.
*Students taking two blocks will be charged
$276.90
Menno Simons Student Service Fee (Menno
Simons Courses Only)
6 credit hours......... 40.20
3 credit hours......... 20.10
Menno Simons Ancillary Fee ( Menno Simons
Courses Only)
6 credit hours......... 18.90
3 credit hours......... 9.45
Please house, how much am i to pay if i am going for B.Sc Computer sci for a year.
Thanks
I sent a mail to the school and this was what i got as a reply.
" In our university, "3 credit hours" = "one course completed in one term". To be awarded a 3-year undergraduate degree, a student needs to take 90 credit hours.

Regards"
Please house,What is then my 1 school year fee?
Thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by movein: 6:40pm On Dec 30, 2013
Sleek5:

Movein I am coming to lambton oo, but still waiting on CdhC for my trv, shud be there sometime in Jan by God's grace. How long will the room be available?
For now the room is still very much available! Its on a first come first serve thingy buh m sure you can still get it.. Have you done med? The house is furnished with anything you could think of.. u on bbm?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by movein: 6:41pm On Dec 30, 2013
miss bon: Am coming in oo but in may grin
Hahaha... wish u d best dear! goodluck

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by marksum: 6:51pm On Dec 30, 2013
Princessterry:
Sent u a PM,u seen?
Hey dear. I haven't seen it o, just resend it..ASAP
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by marksum: 7:00pm On Dec 30, 2013
FISLAG:

Congrat dear,I largly tap frm ur blessing,mine would b next IJN..so wah skol are u heading to?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by ChriGo(m): 7:02pm On Dec 30, 2013
freeman533:
I sent a mail to the school and this was what i got as a reply.
" In our university, "3 credit hours" = "one course completed in one term". To be awarded a 3-year undergraduate degree, a student needs to take 90 credit hours.

Regards"
Please house,What is then my 1 school year fee?
Thanks
....Mehn!! bro reading ur question dey make me feel like say i dey sit for Jamb exam grin.....since 3 credit hours = one course in a term then check ur course curriculum to determine the number of courses you are offering per term.....from dia you can be able to calculate the cost per term.....usually we have 2 terms in a year so if u are able to determine the cost of term 1 den you should be able to get a closer range to the cost of term 2 since both terms curriculum varies.....guy hope you never lost? grin.......
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by Princessterry(f): 7:05pm On Dec 30, 2013
FISLAG:

Congrats dear sister Fislag. I tap from ur TRV blessing o
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by Sleek5(f): 7:24pm On Dec 30, 2013
movein: For now the room is still very much available! Its on a first come first serve thingy buh m sure you can still get it.. Have you done med? The house is furnished with anything you could think of.. u on bbm?

Yes. Done meds. I am on bbm, pm ur pin pls
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by freeman533: 7:25pm On Dec 30, 2013
ChriGo: ....Mehn!! bro reading ur question dey make me feel like say i dey sit for Jamb exam grin.....since 3 credit hours = one course in a term then check ur course curriculum to determine the number of courses you are offering per term.....from dia you can be able to calculate the cost per term.....usually we have 2 terms in a year so if u are able to determine the cost of term 1 den you should be able to get a closer range to the cost of term 2 since both terms curriculum varies.....guy hope you never lost? grin.......
My bro, who no knw supoz ask to knw,and who no knw and no ask no go knw.
This one no b our system for hia na.We r used to going straight to the total sum and not all this credit hours tin.
Tnx for ur response,but which one come be 6 credit hours and 3 credit hours...No laugh ooo,by the way na school and learning i wan go do dia jor.So if u teach me na d same process be dat.
I dey hail sha
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by surveyor1: 7:25pm On Dec 30, 2013

I'm not entirely a novice on the subject having followed this thread for quite some time now.

To start with, I'm a graduate of Biochemistry from a State University in Nigeria. I graduated with a not so great CGPA albeit that it is not poor either, 4.06 out of a possible 5.0. Huhhhh poor me!

I am currently serving my Fatherland (NYSC) and would like to further my studies in Canada, that is, get a Masters in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology even go on to PhD; I'd like to be a research Prof. I am looking at the Fall 2013 or Winter 2015 cycle.

Firstly, I have come up with a list of three schools I'd like to apply to, they are McMaster University, Dalhousie University and University of Calgary.
I'd like to get general comment about my choice of school considering my choice of course.

Secondly, I have somewhat researched the schools and they stated on their website that all Graduate students admitted into the program are guaranteed a Graduate stipend which covers Tuition and cost of living, however they can't be accepted into the program without first getting a supervisor.
How difficult is getting supervisor in those schools and how can i set up myself to stand a better chance. I don't have millions to spend oh!, I am just serving and want to go after service.
First, you misinterpreted the information on the website. The free tuition fee and cost of leaving is for student with scholarship or funding. Furthermore, I doubt you can secure funding with your CGPA because there are lots of indian guru with superb CGPA with publications and working experience. You need to make sure you have acess to fund for your studies if u been admitted. What I am sure of, is the teaching assistant job for all Graduate students admitted. I will advice you to write a very good research proposal, that is your working tool for master by research in canada. Once you got supervisor, admission is guarantee or funding, depends. So don't believe you wouldnt spend million but you might be lucky. Second option, you can check usa universities out. They got more scholarship for science. All the best

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by ifegy: 8:31pm On Dec 30, 2013
freeman533:
My bro, who no knw supoz ask to knw,and who no knw and no ask no go knw.
This one no b our system for hia na.We r used to going straight to the total sum and not all this credit hours tin.
Tnx for ur response,but which one come be 6 credit hours and 3 credit hours...No laugh ooo,by the way na school and learning i wan go do dia jor.So if u teach me na d same process be dat.
I dey hail sha

Well, if it takes 90 credit hours to do a 3 year course, then you'll be doing 30 credit hours per year. According to the fee schedule, 3 credit hours will cost 1,383 (6 credit hours are simply double that). Therefore, for one year, your base costs are cost of 3 credit hours times 10 = cost of 30 credit hours = approx 13,830.
Then add on the non refundable and other fees mentioned in the fee schedule, such as 3 credit hours registration fee of 15.90 times 10 for 30 credit hours, which will give you 159, etc. At the end of the day you'll probably end up between 14 and 15K for the year.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by freeman533: 8:40pm On Dec 30, 2013
ifegy:

Well, if it takes 90 credit hours to do a 3 year course, then you'll be doing 30 credit hours per year. According to the fee schedule, 3 credit hours will cost 1,383 (6 credit hours are simply double that). Therefore, for one year, your base costs are cost of 3 credit hours times 10 = cost of 30 credit hours = approx 13,830.
Then add on the non refundable and other fees mentioned in the fee schedule, such as 3 credit hours registration fee of 15.90 times 10 for 30 credit hours, which will give you 159, etc. At the end of the day you'll probably end up between 14 and 15K for the year.
Thank you my brother...i am so grateful.Chai! you are always there to assist me.Nwanne dalu soo
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by ifegy: 9:41pm On Dec 30, 2013
No problem
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by earthgreeners(m): 9:51pm On Dec 30, 2013

The earlier you start sending emails to the supervisors, the better...... Remember the deadline for Fall 2014 is fast approaching.....and most universities don't offer winter admission for graduate studies.....

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by Vicjay1(m): 10:02pm On Dec 30, 2013
surveyor1: Before rendering advice, I will like to know your present year of
study? Furthermore, medicine is a good course, however it is
expensive in most universities in advance world. If you are looking
towards usa or canada, you will need TOEFL or IELTS. If you are
currently in your penultimate year in medical school, you can
complete your study and progress to medical registration in canada.
It is an hard nut to crack for international students to get admission
into medical school in canada or usa except you secure scholarship
in nigeria or commonwealth. Although, if you have your fund you
can crack on with SAT and TOEFL. Other option is to email the school
about credit transfer, that will be best in usa because canada medical
school is tougher. Just weigh the options mentioned coupled with
your financial situation to know what you will opt for all the best
mate!
Thanks for ur comment. I am in my 200L. I don't really have any university in mind. pls could you suggest any for me and enlighten me more on the commonwealth and Nigeria scholarship. Pls also give me a budget range. pls awaiting your reply. I want to be a testifier on this thread soonest and also be of help to others.

Vic-jay
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by jamebex(m): 10:09pm On Dec 30, 2013
earthgreeners:

The earlier you start sending emails to the supervisors, the better...... Remember the deadline for Fall 2014 is fast approaching.....and most universities don't offer winter admission for graduate studies.....
Thanks, I'll start sending email immediately.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by earthgreeners(m): 10:21pm On Dec 30, 2013
jamebex: Thanks, I'll start sending email immediately.

you might want to mention your academic background and the skills that qualifies you for graduate admission..Also remember to state your research interest, ensure it correspond with that of the individual supervisor u are sending the email to......If you have a copy of your transcript please attach it, plus your resume...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by G12(m): 10:24pm On Dec 30, 2013
Thank God. I am in the right place at last.
God bless you all.

Ok, it's my first time here and it seems I have missed alot. But I guess it's better than never to have come here.

I trust you guys can still help me out, it's not easy reading through all the different pages (from part 1-5, and part 5 is already over 200 pages already). So pls guys, I will really be needing your help.

I graduated in 2011, completed my national service in june(batch B,2013). Since then it's been jobhunting and nothing has really come up. So I want to opt for my plan B, which is to go for an M.Sc in canada. So pls guys, where do I start from? What do I need to do?

Counting on your replies.

Thanks on advance!.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by missbon(f): 10:33pm On Dec 30, 2013
Hello yall, saying whatever u feel about me is permitted on this forum but going the extra mile to threaten and send me stupid texts is just not acceptable. I will apreciate those doing it to stop. My days are numbered on this thread.we all should respect each other for the time being. Thank u
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by earthgreeners(m): 10:57pm On Dec 30, 2013
G.12:
Thank God. I am in the right place at last.
God bless you all.

Ok, it's my first time here and it seems I have missed alot. But I guess it's better than never to have come here.

I trust you guys can still help me out, it's not easy reading through all the different pages (from part 1-5, and part 5 is already over 200 pages already). So pls guys, I will really be needing your help.

I graduated in 2011, completed my national service in june(batch B,2013). Since then it's been jobhunting and nothing has really come up. So I want to opt for my plan B, which is to go for an M.Sc in canada. So pls guys, where do I start from? What do I need to do?

Counting on your replies.

Thanks on advance!.

admissions
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by G12(m): 11:05pm On Dec 30, 2013
Tnx bro for acknowledging my presence. So I go just dey 4lo 4lo ur lead. Hope u no go mind if I fire questns, cos I be proper novice and I want details.

So first of all, how do I go abt the admission issue/process?

Thanks agn
earthgreeners:
admissions
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by Nobody: 4:42am On Dec 31, 2013
miss bon: Hello yall, saying whatever u feel about me is permitted on this forum but going the extra mile to threaten and send me stupid texts is just not acceptable. I will apreciate those doing it to stop. My days are numbered on this thread.we all should respect each other for the time being. Thank u

Ghen ghen!

Who dey disturb iya gbo gbo nah?

No vex jaree! smiley How u dey?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by johhnnie(m): 6:57am On Dec 31, 2013
Helllo house, please does anyone know the prospects of graduate Level gis study in canada? As per jobs ni o.

I intend coming to Vancouver for a graduate level study in GIS. I already have 2 masters degrees in Nigeria ( an MBA; finance option and an m.sc Climatology).My b.sc geography was 2 1 and my masters are in Bs. The main reason is that of settling down in Canada.
Thank you as I await helpful responses
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by onos9ice: 7:42am On Dec 31, 2013
@FISLAG, congwats!!!!

I applied on the 6th, of December via online route. Yours has just reassured me that I'll soon be called up for medicals. Let say after the season, since they've all gone for the holiday
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by FISLAG: 7:48am On Dec 31, 2013
Thanks guys, ire na a Kari o, like we say in Yoruba! As this year draws to a close today all of our outstanding TRV's and medicals calls would come forth today IJN!

Please I need help! I'm based in Abuja and came in with an evening flight ystdy to collect TRV, now the letter from CIC dint state specifically where to go submit my passport, it just gave the option of vac Ikeja or Cdhc on the island. I'm heading to the island, guess I'm on track? Tanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 5 by marksum: 7:52am On Dec 31, 2013
FISLAG: Thanks guys, ire na a Kari o, like we say in Yoruba! As this year draws to a close today all of our outstanding TRV's and medicals calls would come forth today IJN!

Please I need help! I'm based in Abuja and came in with an evening flight ystdy to collect TRV, now the letter from CIC dint state specifically where to go submit my passport, it just gave the option of vac Ikeja or Cdhc on the island. I'm heading to the island, guess I'm on track? Tanks
Yes u are on track. Embassy is the best place to go, for ur passport to be stamped...so wat school are u heading to?

(1) (2) (3) ... (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) ... (501)

General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 7 / Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. / QATAR And UAE General Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.