Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,889 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:33 PM

Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? - Islam for Muslims (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? (30155 Views)

Why Do Muslims Pay Zakat ? / Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? / Why Do Muslims Hate Christians So Much, Could This Be The Anti-christ Coming? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by smsk: 1:52am On Oct 17, 2013
Dangote and Dantata, are not just hausa names, the names are only used by that famous family from Kano. The name Dangote was initially the nick name of the father of the famous business tycoon Aliko Muhammad, aka Aliko Gote. Also the two families are related, Aliko Gotes's mother is from the Dantata family.
The word 'DAN' is used by a hausa man to associate one thing to another be it a person, place, activity, trade etc. e.g Dan kano, which means some body from Kano state, Dan Kasuwa means a business person, Dan Boko which means a student . etc

1 Like

Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Nobody: 2:27am On Oct 17, 2013
does it matter all all, whichever names they choose to bear.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Ghadafy(m): 3:40am On Oct 17, 2013
[quote author=Birniwa]

Dumb head, SHEKAU is not even HAUSA, he's KANURI, a major tribe in Maiduguri.

Shekau only appears in media speaking Hausa because everyone who understands Kanuri understands Hausa as wekl (but not vice versa). Hausa is also a language that majority of Nigerians understand.
[/
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by laurel03(m): 5:46am On Oct 17, 2013
What is Islamic name and what is christian name?? All ds name are jew and arab native name... For example mohammed was named given to him on birth and dr was no islam then and so many other name like that. One day I called my sister son, his Yoruba name Tolu, the mother said she don't want us to be calling him that name that we should call him is christian name which is David and I laff and asked her who brought christianity she said Jesus and David existed before Christianity dt means David was not a christian and Muslim also beared d name(Dauda). Mary was named before Jesus and Amina was named before Muhammed etc and most of name heard in bible was also in Quran but different Pronounced but same meaning. Eg joseph- yusuf, Micheal-Malik, Mary-Mariam,Moses-Musa,Gabreal-jibril, Solomon-Sulaiman etc. We lost our culture and they have brain washed us and colonize our mind.. Hardly you we see a nigerian that does not have foreign name either you are a muslim,Christian, or any other unpopular religion in the society like enkarcar,criag message,Amorc etc. Hausa also have a native name only that because of Islam popularity in the region make them beared it most.. The richest Man in Africa Alinko Dangote name is not arabic name and Abacha,Yaradua,KwanKwanso,balarabe,Baraje, Namadi,Sambo,Danjuma etc are not arab name

1 Like

Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Yazmin: 5:56am On Oct 17, 2013
laurel03: What is Islamic name and what is christian name?? All ds name are jew and arab native name... For example mohammed was named given to him on birth and dr was no islam then and so many other name like that. One day a I called my sister son, his Yoruba name Tolu, the mother said she don't want us to be calling him that name that we should call him is christian name which David and I laff and asked her who brought christianity she said Jesus and David existed before Christianity dt means David was not a christian and Muslim also beared d name(Dauda). Mary was named before Jesus and Amina was named before Muhammed etc and most of name heard in bible was also in Quran but different Pronounced but same meaning. Eg joseph- yusuf, Micheal-Malik, Mary-Mariam,Gabreal-jibril, Solomon-Sulaiman etc. We lost our culture and they have brain washed us and colonize our mind.. Hardly you we see a nigerian that does not have foreign name either you are a muslim,Christian, or any other unpopular religion in the society like enkarcar,criag message,Amorc etc.

Good one there....!
However, michael is mika"il or mikhail in Arabic.

1 Like

Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by HAH: 7:13am On Oct 17, 2013
Birniwa:

Dumb head, SHEKAU is not even HAUSA, he's KANURI, a major tribe in Maiduguri.

Shekau only appears in media speaking Hausa because everyone who understands Kanuri understands Hausa as wekl (but not vice versa). Hausa is also a language that majority of Nigerians understand.

Shekau is a village along Damaturu- Gashua road, that is the home town of the leader of BH who name is Mohammad Abubakar. He uses his town name in his name hence he is all over know as Mohammad Abubakar Shekau
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by kheart(m): 7:19am On Oct 17, 2013
Garba, lado, mudi, jummai, larai, laraba, jatau, dantala, balarabe, balaraba, maikudi, magaji, kutumatdini, buraubayya. Smh 4 d last two names.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by PAPAAFRICA: 7:25am On Oct 17, 2013
So is Bello absolutely an indigenous Hausa name?
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Agrika: 8:01am On Oct 17, 2013
Core hausas, i mean those from kano, katsina, kaduna etc dont usually bear tribal names, as for other tribes like Fulani, Kanuri, Bra, mende,...i know they are usually proud of bearing thier tribal names
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Everfrank(m): 8:25am On Oct 17, 2013
Bala
Bawa
Rabiu
Garba
Rabiu
Hasiya
Mairo
Danladi
Danjummai
Jummai
Hamma
Etc are all native Hausa names.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Dewze(m): 8:53am On Oct 17, 2013
It is a beautiful thing that this thread made it to the FrontPage. Must confess that I have been a bit more enlightened by this thread about our brothers up north. Like there are some names here I didn't know were traditional names. I've always believed they were Islamic.

Pls we want more info of our brothers in the north. I believe The more we know ourselves the less tension that exists btwn us.

I feel nairaland has been too south west. We need a more national feel on this forum.

2 Likes

Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Dewze(m): 9:03am On Oct 17, 2013
laurel03: What is Islamic name and what is christian name?? All ds name are jew and arab native name... For example mohammed was named given to him on birth and dr was no islam then and so many other name like that. One day I called my sister son, his Yoruba name Tolu, the mother said she don't want us to be calling him that name that we should call him is christian name which is David and I laff and asked her who brought christianity she said Jesus and David existed before Christianity dt means David was not a christian and Muslim also beared d name(Dauda). Mary was named before Jesus and Amina was named before Muhammed etc and most of name heard in bible was also in Quran but different Pronounced but same meaning. Eg joseph- yusuf, Micheal-Malik, Mary-Mariam,Moses-Musa,Gabreal-jibril, Solomon-Sulaiman etc. We lost our culture and they have brain washed us and colonize our mind.. Hardly you we see a nigerian that does not have foreign name either you are a muslim,Christian, or any other unpopular religion in the society like enkarcar,criag message,Amorc etc. Hausa also have a native name only that because of Islam popularity in the region make them beared it most.. The richest Man in Africa Alinko Dangote name is not arabic name and Abacha,Yaradua,KwanKwanso,balarabe,Baraje, Namadi,Sambo,Danjuma etc are not arab name

you ate very right there. There is really nothing like a Muslim or Christian name. What we have are Arabic and Jewish names. As you have pointed out, Mohammed is not a muslim/islamic name.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Nobody: 9:04am On Oct 17, 2013
they do have native names. like where i served in ZURU kebbi state. they all have their native names together with their religious names.
e.g.
SABATU
UMBONKO
RIKOTO
DAN LADI MOTA
SANDAH
BALA SAKABA
ALHERI
BAKO

Most of them bears the name of their villages
e.g.
SENCI
SAKABA

the name of INEC chairman 'JEGA' is the name of his home town, also the SPEAKER of the HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVE bears the name of his home TOWN, TAMBULWA. Sokoto state governor also bears the name of his home town 'WAMAKO'

funny funny names that you can think of.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Nobody: 9:04am On Oct 17, 2013
Ghadafy: @OP, yes of course SHEKAU is not a Muslim name but Hausa native name.

Of all Names, its shekau u tink of? I suspect u
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by daddyteehassan: 9:07am On Oct 17, 2013
ovo4u: they all have muhammed as nick name
. I beleve uu don't know what uu are saying; if we use Jesus name as a joke, will uu like it?
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Nobody: 9:17am On Oct 17, 2013
9jii.:
Dan buga
Danbaba
Dan auta
Dan tani
Dangote
Dan tala
Dajumma
Danda
Da
Dan.... Dan means son of or related to sm.

Maikasuwa
Maishanu
Maiturare
Mai....
Babangida
Etc

so u saying Dan is to Hausa as Omo is to Yoruba?
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by naptu2: 9:25am On Oct 17, 2013
smsk: Dangote and Dantata, are not just hausa names, the names are only used by that famous family from Kano. The name Dangote was initially the nick name of the father of the famous business tycoon Aliko Muhammad, aka Aliko Gote. Also the two families are related, Aliko Gotes's mother is from the Dantata family.
The word 'DAN' is used by a hausa man to associate one thing to another be it a person, place, activity, trade etc. e.g Dan kano, which means some body from Kano state, Dan Kasuwa means a business person, Dan Boko which means a student . etc

obo_man:

Dantata = son of Tata.

Tata was the name of Alhassan Dantata's nanny.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Nobody: 9:53am On Oct 17, 2013
i see a lot of guess work here. I.T.K's in the building
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by wengerjay(m): 11:50am On Oct 17, 2013
Dangote and Dantata greet una o.

1 Like

Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Chartey(m): 12:03pm On Oct 17, 2013
PAPA AFRICA: So is Bello absolutely an indigenous Hausa name?
Isn't Bello a Fulani name rather? I'll find out.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Chartey(m): 12:03pm On Oct 17, 2013
obo_man:

Exactly.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Mhomies: 12:05pm On Oct 17, 2013
eluquenson: Very well, names like Danladi, Danjuma, Dantata etc are all native names.
Ladi is Monday and Juma is Friday in Arabic, so the prefix "Dan" means Child. Therefore, Danladi is the child born on Monday while Danjuma is on Friday. Salisu is Tuesday, Laruba is Wednesday, Hamisu is Thursday etc.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by ebogentle(m): 12:57pm On Oct 17, 2013
Mhomies: Ladi is Monday and Juma is Friday in Arabic, so the prefix "Dan" means Child. Therefore, Danladi is the child born on Monday while Danjuma is on Friday. Salisu is Tuesday, Laruba is Wednesday, Hamisu is Thursday etc.

Except you mixed hausa and arabic there. Salisu and Hamisu are arabic names. First second third fourth and fifth in arabic is Awwal, Sani, Salisu, Rabiu and Hamisu (or Khams). (I stand to be corrected on some of those.)

The hausa names for born on tuesday is Dantala for male or Talatu for female ( tuesday = talata) and thursday is Danlami or Lami.
One last correction. Ladi is sunday not monday. So danladi is born on sunday. Please go to the previous page (pg 2) of this thread for a comprehensive list by yours truly.
smiley
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by rabzy01: 2:01pm On Oct 17, 2013
What's wrong with you? After all that have been said.
KANO: Aliko DANGOTE, Sani ABACHA, DANTATA, RIMI, SHEKARAU, ADO, BAYERO, MAITAMA etc.

KATSINA: TURAI, YAR'ADUA, BALARABE, etc

KADUNA: NAMADI, SAMBO, DOGO, DOGON YARO, ARUWA, DANGIWA etc.

Agrika: Core hausas, i mean those from kano, katsina, kaduna etc dont usually bear tribal names, as for other tribes like Fulani, Bra, mende,...i know they are usually proud of bearing thier tribal names
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by ALGAMISH: 2:20pm On Oct 17, 2013
theSpark:

lol at Salè, i remember these from childhood
Hadi means Abdulhadi ( arabic)
Sidi
Tanko (native hausa)
Gambo (native hausa)
Mamman (means Muhammad (arabic)
Dangana (native hausa name)
Mairo means Maryam (arabic)
Rabi (not sure if its arabic) means Rabiat (arabic)
Samira (nt sure too)
(arabic name)
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Agrika: 2:24pm On Oct 17, 2013
@ Rabzy01 These are names of popular politicians and they are not so common, i mean does the average hausa child from those states i mentioned have a tribal name?
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by rabzy01: 2:49pm On Oct 17, 2013
I only cited these examples with the believe that they are common knowledge to many.

To your question, YES, they bear such names. What you should consider are the facts that many parents name their children after popular or prominate personalities and the ones I mentioned are not the first to bear such names and certainly not the last.

Agrika: @ Rabzy01 These are names of popular politicians and they are not so common, i mean does the average hausa child from those states i mentioned have a tribal name?
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by grandstar(m): 3:06pm On Oct 17, 2013
very educative thread
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by ayili: 3:18pm On Oct 17, 2013
Swiftlee: Yes...In Borno where there are kauri people and native hausa, you would see so many native names(traditional) buduwara for example is a native borno name, when you go to yobe dominated by kanuri too..you will see so many traditional native names like pyam still a name in Plateau state. Jigawa is also a place for traditional names not taking away Adamawa and Taraba..where you see Bawa,Tafawa Babangida, Babanawa among many Baba..the North West is a place where you see less of traditional names; states like Sokoto, Kebbi, Katsina and Zamfara. Locating a traditional name there would be very difficult though that is the home of hausa where the names are supposed to be numerous..the hausa bakwai...i hope by this few points of mine you are convinced and not confused beyond normal peoples doubt that there are a lot of traditional names up dia...by the way, i have been to almost all northern states#justsaying sha..no vex abeg
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by ayili: 3:19pm On Oct 17, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Franck Ribery Furious Over Beer Bath / In The Mosque This Morning, After Morning Prayers, Something Happened. / What is the Islamic View on Court Weddings?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.