Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? - Islam for Muslims (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? (30159 Views)

Why Do Muslims Pay Zakat ? / Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? / Why Do Muslims Hate Christians So Much, Could This Be The Anti-christ Coming? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Agrika: 7:47pm On Oct 17, 2013
@ rabzy, i beg to differ, am not speaking as an ignorant southerner who has never been to the north but as a southern who spent over 15 years in the north, including childhood.....before you see 1 Gambo or Kande you could have counted over 20 Fatima or Aisha or Maryam, before you see 1 Dan Asabe or Danlitti you could have counted over 15 Isa, Mohammed, Jibril, Abubakar etc.

1 Like

Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Sunnah1(m): 9:07pm On Oct 17, 2013
Lateef9961: Yes nw.
Sum names lyk babangida,aliero,tani,hussaini,dangote,buhari,kashim,yero,magatakaruda,dakingari e.t.c
Pls wake up!!! Becoz Hussaini, Buhari are nt a tribal names. Must u coment?

1 Like

Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by tpia5: 1:18am On Oct 18, 2013
he even put hussaini there.

nairaland sha.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by jpphilips(m): 7:29pm On Oct 18, 2013
Afam4eva: Hausa and Islam have become two indivisible elements such that these days, the two have been intertwined and it can be difficult telling what's of Hausa or Islamic origin. But yes, some Hausas have native names.

I think only easterners do that
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by nagoma(m): 8:24pm On Oct 18, 2013
Chartey:
Isn't Bello a Fulani name rather? I'll find out.

Yes Bello is actually a Fulani name and it means "Helper" is modified from the actual word ballo and When Shehu Usman Danfodio named his eldest son Muhammadu Bello he probably meant that. Muhammadu Bello was the second Calipha ( Sultan) after Danfodio (1817- 1837) was highly educated and a prolific writer. Other Fulani names include Maccido , Sambo , Tukur, Gidado etc.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by nagoma(m): 8:42pm On Oct 18, 2013
Everfrank: Bala
Bawa
Rabiu
Garba
Rabiu
Hasiya
Mairo
Danladi
Danjummai
Jummai
Hamma
Etc are all native Hausa names.

You are right in most of the list above but Rabiu is an arabic name meaning the 4th . It is usually Muhammad Rabiu ( Muhammad the fourth. Other names of Muhammad followed by a number are Auwal or Lawal ( the 1st) Sani , Sanni or Thani (the second) , Salisu or Thalis ( the 3rd)
Rabiu ( the 4th) Hamisu or Khamis ( the 5th) Sadisu ( the 6th) Sabiu ( the 7 th ) Saminu or Thaminu ( the 8th) Tasiu ( the 9th) and Ashiru ( the 10th).
MAIRO is a corruption of Maryam and Hasiya Is believed to be the name an the Pious and righteous wife of an Egyptian pharaoh. She was referred to in the Quran." Hamma"is a Fulani shortened form of Muhammad . Hausa's shorten the name Muhammad to Mamman the Kanuris to Modu and the igbirra to Momoh and I think Yorubas also have JIMOH .

3 Likes

Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Chartey(m): 12:49am On Oct 19, 2013
nagoma:

Yes Bello is actually a Fulani name and it means "Helper" is modified from the actual word ballo and When Shehu Usman Danfodio named his eldest son Muhammadu Bello he probably meant that. Muhammadu Bello was the second Calipha ( Sultan) after Danfodio (1817- 1837) was highly educated and a prolific writer. Other Fulani names include Maccido , Sambo , Tukur, Gidado etc.
Thank you very much.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Nobody: 3:31am On Oct 19, 2013
yagana
lawan
ishaku
bako
auta
dogo( dogonyaro)
azumi

1 Like

Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Chartey(m): 9:27am On Oct 19, 2013
ibit-abid-qudrt:
yagana
lawan
ishaku
bako
auta
dogo( dogonyaro)
azumi
Remove Ishaku, it's Arabic.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by tpia5: 10:57am On Oct 19, 2013
nagoma:

Are you sure bello is an exclusively fulani name because i think i've come across non-blacks who also bear that name.

I could be wrong though.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Chartey(m): 1:24pm On Oct 19, 2013
tpia@:

Are you sure bello is an exclusively fulani name because i think i've come across non-blacks who also bear that name.

I could be wrong though.
tpia@:

I could be wrong though.
I need to start following you.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by tpia5: 1:37pm On Oct 19, 2013
I dont like people who personalize everything they see.

If you bothered checking google you would not need to quote my post at all.

So, please do not quote me if you have nothing substantive as a response.

Its extremely annoying.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by oluamid(m): 2:49pm On Oct 19, 2013
tpia@:

I could be wrong though.

Well, the Yoruba bear Bello too. Especially those from Kwara and Oyo states. And it has nothing to do with their being Muslims too because all the Yoruba Bellos I know are Christians.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by AbdH: 7:14pm On Oct 19, 2013
tpia@:

I could be wrong though.

You are actually right. Maria Bello, an actress in hollywood comes to mind.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by AbdH: 7:16pm On Oct 19, 2013
oluamid:

Well, the Yoruba bear Bello too. Especially those from Kwara and Oyo states. And it has nothing to do with their being Muslims too because all the Yoruba Bellos I know are Christians.

If you check well, the Yorubas who bear the name had a Muslim background.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by nagoma(m): 9:51pm On Oct 19, 2013
tpia@:

I could be wrong though.

Yes I'm sure but there are names that have the same spelling but may differ in meaning in different communities. These usually do not mean the same thing. For example " Ada"is a female name among Igbo , Hausa, Fulani and English but have different origins and meanings.definitely Bello is a Fulani name and I have told you the history and the meaning of the name.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by tpia5: 1:16pm On Oct 20, 2013
oluamid:

Yes, bello is also a southern name.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by tpia5: 1:18pm On Oct 20, 2013
AbdH:

If you check well, the Yorubas who bear the name had a Muslim background.

That's possible.

or it could also be of european origin, like portuguese, brazilian, etc.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by AbdH: 9:26pm On Oct 20, 2013
tpia@:

That's possible.

or it could also be of european origin, like portuguese, brazilian, etc.

It is possible, the name also has a Latin origin - some Spaniards and Italians bear it as a surname - but I think the Yorubas who bear it in Ilorin were influenced by their closeness to the Fulanis more but it is easy to deny that since it is not an exclusive word. I am not sure about the name Bello as much as I am convinced that Mogaji is a name that has an Indian root.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by nagoma(m): 10:47pm On Oct 20, 2013
AbdH:

It is possible, the name also has a Latin origin - some Spaniards and Italians bear it as a surname - but I think the Yorubas who bear it in Ilorin were influenced by their closeness to the Fulanis more but it is easy to deny that since it is not an exclusive word. I am not sure about the name Bello as much as I am convinced that Mogaji is a name that has an Indian root.

Mogaji is another name with strong Hausa connection. The Hausas call it Magaji with an 'a'. As you are aware YToruba's convert the hausa 'a' to an 'o' while the husas convert the yoruba 'o' to an 'a'. thus hausas will say 'Abalende' when talking about Obalende and Yorubas will say 'Koduno' when referring to Kaduna.

The word Magaji means the "successor" or the "inheritor" in Hausa and feminine of it is Magajiya. It is also a title "Magajiya" or "Magajin Gari"
meaning the mayor or governor of a city (as opposed to the king who rules the whole land). The nown "Gado" means inheritance and the Ma is a pocessive adjective converting the word to - Inheritor. In the Bayajiddah Hausa legend the lady ruler of Daura (Daurama) had the title of Magajiya.

1 Like

Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by AbdH: 1:35pm On Oct 21, 2013
nagoma:

Mogaji is another name with strong Hausa connection. The Hausas call it Magaji with an 'a'. As you are aware YToruba's convert the hausa 'a' to an 'o' while the husas convert the yoruba 'o' to an 'a'. thus hausas will say 'Abalende' when talking about Obalende and Yorubas will say 'Koduno' when referring to Kaduna.

The word Magaji means the "successor" or the "inheritor" in Hausa and feminine of it is Magajiya. It is also a title "Magajiya" or "Magajin Gari"
meaning the mayor or governor of a city (as opposed to the king who rules the whole land). The nown "Gado" means inheritance and the Ma is a pocessive adjective converting the word to - Inheritor. In the Bayajiddah Hausa legend the lady ruler of Daura (Daurama) had the title of Magajiya.

Okay bro, I appreciate the education. Mogaji has to be different from Magaji then. Thanks.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Chartey(m): 5:15pm On Oct 21, 2013
AbdH:

Okay bro, I appreciate the education. Mogaji has to be different from Magaji then. Thanks.
No. They're one and the same. It's just pronunciation that differs. I'm Yoruba so i know.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by AbdH: 8:32pm On Oct 21, 2013
Chartey:
No. They're one and the same. It's just pronunciation that differs. I'm Yoruba so i know.

I am with you bro. I was just lazy to write my comment in full the other time. Magaji is Hausa but Yorubas pronounce it Mogaji but they are the same. Interestingly, Indians have a word whose spelling is the same with Mogaji albeit they are not the same.
In essence, just like my previous comment was meant to point out, Magaji (Hausa) is different from Mogaji (Indian).....irrespective of how the Yorubas call it for it has been established that they adopted the word from Hausa. I hope I am clear sir and thank you for the education.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by HAH: 3:39pm On Oct 22, 2013
nagoma:

Very correct, weldone
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Ameenabalarabe(f): 12:29pm On Oct 25, 2013
Of course do have native names..khadijat(hadiza dije)
aisha=shatu
ibrahim=iro
safura=sahura
maryam=mairo
while some are named by day they r born
monday=danliti
tuesday=dantala
wed=balarabe laraba
fri=jummai dan jummai
sat=asabe
kyauta=gift
duduwa=d only grl in famly...
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Oct 05, 2016
Bello Is also a spanish name meaning Beautiful/Handsome.

so you are right.

tpia5:

I could be wrong though.
Re: Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Oct 05, 2016
Most of the names you listed are Fulani names.,
Dijee
Ash'shee
Bagee
Gidado
Bamanga
Shehu
Modibbo
Jauro
Ardo
Bello
Jelani
Luluwa
Dudu
Jah'ee
Dabgi
Danda
Gede
Rubushi
Burti
Jimadi
Mabadi
Utiiya
Dah
Dadda
De'ee
Nenne(Just Like the Igbos Nene is mostly reserved for first Daughters)
Adda
Gaji
Hamayaji
Hamatukur(Tukur remember Bamanga Tukur wink? )
Hamagabdo
Bobbowa
Bobboi
etc

Above are some Native Fulani Names I can remember for now

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Franck Ribery Furious Over Beer Bath / In The Mosque This Morning, After Morning Prayers, Something Happened. / What is the Islamic View on Court Weddings?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.