Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,230 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:11 AM

Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? (9655 Views)

Watch And Download All Foreign Movies, TV Shows And Series Online free / TV Shows: Prison Break, Lost Or 24? / Dragon's Den Nigeria: Upcoming Reality TV Show (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by UjSizzle(f): 6:46am On Oct 16, 2013
Reality TV shows/competitions are the new fad in TV programming and we have been inundated with so many of them through our TVs.

Examples of such shows are BBA, GUS, Next Movie Star, Project Fame, Nigerian Idol, Nigeria Got Talent, Celebrity Takes 2, Koko Mansion, X Factor, The Debaters, Apprentice Africa etc to mention a few.

Now, the question is are these shows beneficial to the society and the populace at large? It's debatable so I'll throw it to NLDers

Other than the obvious cash prizes and entertainment factor, what benefits do you think you've derived so far from following these shows and how do they impart positively on the lives of both contestants and viewers?

3 Likes

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Mynd44: 7:20am On Oct 16, 2013
They are a huge waste of time but to people who have nothing to do while it is showing, it is a good chance to pass time.

Talent shows like project fame etc do make sense as it helps showcase upcoming talents too sha

6 Likes

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Nobody: 7:21am On Oct 16, 2013
Reality shows teach us about the values of having a competitive spirit. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Mynd44: 7:24am On Oct 16, 2013
CFCfan: Reality shows teach us about the values of having a competitive spirit. cheesy
What's so competitive in BBA where your fate is not even decided by you?

6 Likes

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Nobody: 7:26am On Oct 16, 2013
Mynd_44:
What's so competitive in BBA where your fate is not even decided by you?
They certainly compete for one another's affections.
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Mynd44: 7:35am On Oct 16, 2013
CFCfan:
They certainly compete for one another's affections.
Don't you do that outside too? And how did BBA become about affections? I thought it was supposed to be a social experiment

1 Like

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by semid4lyfe(m): 7:42am On Oct 16, 2013
The usual suspects. . . .hmmm

Make I safely comment my reserve. Hopefully no one here will to tell me to "think", use words to express my thoughts and never post cryptic comments.

*Looking over shoulder*
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Nobody: 7:46am On Oct 16, 2013
Slowly, but surely, this thread is becoming a BBA thread

*reality shows to me is equally as beneficial as watching football on tv...

2 Likes

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Nobody: 7:46am On Oct 16, 2013
semid4lyfe: The usual suspects. . . .hmmm

Make I safely comment my reserve. Hopefully no one here will to tell me to "think", use words to express my thoughts and never post cryptic comments.

*Looking over shoulder*
U dey fear ni?
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Mynd44: 7:46am On Oct 16, 2013
semid4lyfe: The usual suspects. . . .hmmm

*Looking over shoulder*
**falls from moon**
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Mynd44: 7:47am On Oct 16, 2013
CFCfan:
U dey fear ni?
You have no idea
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Alex4zee(m): 7:48am On Oct 16, 2013
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by boron10(m): 7:50am On Oct 16, 2013
Mynd_44: They are a huge waste of time but to people who have nothing to do while it is showing, it is a good chance to pass time.

Talent shows like project fame etc do make sense as it helps showcase upcoming talents too sha
They help reduce the number of young poor people by financially empowering them and give them hope in engaging in something worthwhile.

Not a waste of time if you ask me.
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by swhiss: 7:51am On Oct 16, 2013
For one, the main reason reality TV shows were created was to give the average man his fifteen minutes of fame. It gives anyone and everyone a chance to be on TV; which is a major boost in self-confidence for any person. It's also features something new and different.

also it's more easy to relate to. It gives the average person a chance to follow their dreams of being on TV, and even to get lucky and win large amounts of money that could turn their lives around.

5 Likes

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by mariong(m): 7:52am On Oct 16, 2013
kaeyame: Slowly, but surely, this thread is becoming a BBA thread

Just my thought. We dey watch.
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by UjSizzle(f): 7:53am On Oct 16, 2013
Mynd_44:
Don't you do that outside too? And how did BBA become about affections? I thought it was supposed to be a social experiment
I think BBA is useless. With GUS you get to learn the importance of 'team work', and trying to solve puzzles keep you mentally alert.

8 Likes

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Nobody: 7:54am On Oct 16, 2013
It's a place where you can show off your God given talent but most competitors usually participate because of the cash and other prizes. That shows the level of poverty we are battling with in our country.
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Nobody: 7:54am On Oct 16, 2013

how Dare u insult the god of soccer by comparing football and reality shows!!!

12 Likes

uj_sizzle:
I think BBA is useless. With GUS you get to learn the importance of 'team work', and trying to solve puzzles keep you mentally alert.
The person that wins the $100,000 will have something to say about that.
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by sCun: 7:55am On Oct 16, 2013
Ask Iyanya

1 Like

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by slap1(m): 7:55am On Oct 16, 2013

Please don't insult football fans, abeg. No reality show is equals to watching a good football match on TV.

10 Likes

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Nobody: 7:55am On Oct 16, 2013
BBA? Its like unscripted movie and pple vote 4 who the want to see in the end of the movie. So if u love dry movies, u would love BBA. i wish bevenly could fly, the orther nigerian guy could see vision, that ghanian guy could carry anything, you know, add a little sci-fi. It would make more sense

I hate nigeria gots talent die its the most useless among them! How can the judges not have a say? Vote vote vote and that yeye amarachi won angry the most talented person there was nathanel, all the judges knew but they where handicaped.

I like peak talent show joor. And Gulder ultimate show too. Any other show na counterfiet

1 Like

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Mynd44: 7:55am On Oct 16, 2013
uj_sizzle:
It has been established that BBA is is useless but the puzzles in GUS are not really that intelligent as to keep you mentally alert. They are just showing what happens when people go camping.

1 Like

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Ajibel(m): 7:56am On Oct 16, 2013
I only know most of these exist via NL. I only watch TV during news hours - that's all. Tv to me is a waste of time. Internet entertains me more!

1 Like

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Nobody: 7:56am On Oct 16, 2013
Linqsz:

how Dare u insult the god of soccer by comparing football and reality shows!!!
Make Mourinho catch am grin

1 Like

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Mynd44: 7:56am On Oct 16, 2013
boron10:
They help reduce the number of young poor people by financially empowering them and give them hope in engaging in something worthwhile.

Not a waste of time if you ask me.
This says a lot about those who watch them
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by aieromon(m): 7:57am On Oct 16, 2013
Who's trying to compare talent shows with BBA?

I just dey observe!! angry

1 Like

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Mynd44: 7:58am On Oct 16, 2013
slap1: Please don't insult football fans, abeg. No reality show is equals to watching a good football match on TV.
It is not a lie na.
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Nobody: 7:59am On Oct 16, 2013
CFCfan:
Make Mourinho catch am grin

she never c anything...d thing self vex me

2 Likes

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by dridowu: 7:59am On Oct 16, 2013
The only 1 dat make sense to me is African Zain Challenge others are sh1t

2 Likes

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by aieromon(m): 8:00am On Oct 16, 2013
kaeyame:

Take that back. . . . . .

13 Likes

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Goldenheart(m): 8:00am On Oct 16, 2013
There are some that are informative, but its still a waste of time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Mile From Home - Nigerian Trailer / Nigerian Actors Or Actresses You Would Want To Act With / Can You Allow Any Your Relatives To Act In This Kind Of “nude” Nollywood Movie?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.