Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,280 members, 7,818,943 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:45 AM

Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? (9651 Views)

Watch And Download All Foreign Movies, TV Shows And Series Online free / TV Shows: Prison Break, Lost Or 24? / Dragon's Den Nigeria: Upcoming Reality TV Show (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by LordReed(m): 8:04pm On Oct 22, 2013
sigmundfreud: Reality shows are mostly a waste of time. People looking for shortcut to fame and success...not encouraging discipline and hardwork. 1 or 2 e.g debaters, stimulating. The rest is just making them superstar wannabe!

Entertainment is generally designed to "waste" time so how is wasting time and making money a loss?
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by vcvibes(m): 8:59pm On Oct 22, 2013
uj_sizzle: Reality TV shows/competitions are the new fad in TV programming and we have been inundated with so many of them through our TVs.

Examples are such shows are BBA, GUS, Next Movie Star, Project Fame, Nigerian Idol, Nigeria Got Talent, Celebrity Takes 2, Koko Mansion, X Factor, The Debaters, Apprentice Africa etc to mention a few.

Now, the question is are these shows beneficial to the society and the populace at large? It's debatable so I'll throw it to NLDers

Other than the obvious cash prizes and entertainment factor, what benefits do you think you've derived so far from following these shows and how do they impart positively on the lives of both contestants and viewers?
must everything have impact?? Can't u just watch the damn tin 4 entertainment sake or just the heck of watching? Every time u go enter NL dey gossip. Mtcheeeeew
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by sigmundfreud(m): 11:55pm On Nov 04, 2013
Lord_Reed:

Entertainment is generally designed to "waste" time so how is wasting time and making money a loss?
I disagree. Entertainment should not 'waste' time. It shd be engaging and relaxing while time quietly slips away...
Entertainment should be active, i shd look forward to wasting my time...the feeling u have after watching a great movie, or reading a thrilling novel despite having exams the next day or a seminar...
...yes, they makee money, at the expense of people's senses!
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by LordReed(m): 7:34am On Nov 05, 2013
sigmundfreud:
I disagree. Entertainment should not 'waste' time. It shd be engaging and relaxing while time quietly slips away...
Entertainment should be active, i shd look forward to wasting my time...the feeling u have after watching a great movie, or reading a thrilling novel despite having exams the next day or a seminar...
...yes, they makee money, at the expense of people's senses!

Same difference. A football match is hardly "relaxing" neither is a good dance at a club, as long as your brain is actively engaged most times you don't relax. To relax you have to practically "switch off" your brain, no form of entertainment neglects the brain.

Reality shows are indeed dubious entertainments but it is entertainment none the less similar in my estimation to blood sports like chicken fights, some people will get some sense of euphoria from watching others will be disgusted but is the people who enjoy it that validate it not the other way round.

1 Like

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by sigmundfreud(m): 12:07am On Nov 06, 2013
Lord_Reed:

Same difference. A football match is hardly "relaxing" neither is a good dance at a club, as long as your brain is actively engaged most times you don't relax. To relax you have to practically "switch off" your brain, no form of entertainment neglects the brain.

Reality shows are indeed dubious entertainments but it is entertainment none the less similar in my estimation to blood sports like chicken fights, some people will get some sense of euphoria from watching others will be disgusted but is the people who enjoy it that validate it not the other way round.
personal differences is all that count...one man's entertainment is another's nightmare.
Just feel most of the ones we have now (reality shows) are not it.
I am never entertained watching people's lives on TV...i'ld rather sleep.
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by tpia5: 3:47am On Nov 23, 2013
i guess they're of benefit to some people?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Mile From Home - Nigerian Trailer / Flawsome Season 2 / Can You Allow Any Your Relatives To Act In This Kind Of “nude” Nollywood Movie?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.