Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,452 members, 7,954,775 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:56 AM

Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? (9788 Views)

Watch And Download All Foreign Movies, TV Shows And Series Online free / TV Shows: Prison Break, Lost Or 24? / Dragon's Den Nigeria: Upcoming Reality TV Show (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Nobody: 8:37am On Oct 16, 2013
Op, wat do we gain from watchin football, since most of us are not footballers What does watching football teach us What do we gain from watching endless series with 12 seasons and 18 epidodes on each series? I tink u can find ur answer there?? We only watch for fun and relaxation... Simple...
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Zukoslim(m): 8:39am On Oct 16, 2013
afta wasting ur tym watchin d show and voting for contestant,..d winner will take d money home..n u are left wit WHAT!!!..nothing .
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by UjSizzle(f): 8:40am On Oct 16, 2013
Bludeville: It's simple really, it benefits the economy , it benefits the followers, it benefits the contesters...etc What kind of benefit are you talking about? And who is the "us" you are referring to?
'US' viewers, and contestants. What are these things you benefit from them specifically? What does the economy gain? What do the viewers get other than entertainment? How does it help contestants with their lives after the show's ended?
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by made2fit(f): 8:40am On Oct 16, 2013
Double194:

E be like say U dey mad. Thunder fire that ur hand wey U take type dat rubbish. U dey try compare Man U vs Man City or Madrid vs Barca to BBA and GUS abii??. Infact ur head no correct.
Bros, take am easy now. Everybody is entitled to his or her opinion.
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Nobody: 8:44am On Oct 16, 2013
quivah: I particularly,love THE DEBATERS...
Interesting,educative.. it has really improved my debating skills(the introductions mostly) and enhanced my speech..also my use of words..

No more: goodday mr chairman,panel of judges,accurate time time keeper blah blah secondary school style!!

Im sure it has helped/helping other "ready to learn" students as well..thus,improving 0.001% of the society.
Especially,the part where each debaters go for research on some particular topics... meet profs learning new things(mostly for public use).
Stage use, boldness menh!! I bet this competition deos not only help students for advanced debating skills...lawyers to be,a speaker in any gathering..are also helped in their use of words!

I love Oluwatoyinbo days...

African Zain competition is also a plus..

Others(project fame,BBA,GUS are just for entertainments)...

that program was awesome..
and even LION'S DEN; which brings creative business minds to work.
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by UjSizzle(f): 8:44am On Oct 16, 2013
njokusboy: Op, wat do we gain from watchin football, since most of us are not footballers What does watching football teach us What do we gain from watching endless series with 12 seasons and 18 epidodes on each series? I tink u can find ur answer there?? We only watch for fun and relaxation... Simple...

And the contestants? What's the idea behind the shows if the economy is really down and people lack jobs? Shouldn't they be more concerned about empowering the people instead of keeping them on their tv screens for 3months 'relaxing'?

1 Like

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by mychellin: 8:52am On Oct 16, 2013
The present GUS is less educative. The candidates look unmerited,the two warriors uncapable as motivator. Mokeme has proven to be an encourager to viewers making the show interesting alone with his charismatic. My opinion though.
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by UjSizzle(f): 8:53am On Oct 16, 2013
CFCfan:
The person that wins the $100,000 will have something to say about that.
That's the winner, what about everybody else? The populace at large, even you viewing, what do they gain?

1 Like

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Nobody: 9:00am On Oct 16, 2013
uj_sizzle:
I think BBA is useless. With GUS you get to learn the importance of 'team work', and trying to solve puzzles keep you mentally alert.

U clearly do not watch BBA, there is also team work in BBA, sumtyms more stressful than gus... They also solve puzzles too.. Neither GUS nor BBA teach me about team work, if u re 20 nd u still need BBA or GUS to teach u about team work, then there is a problem... We only watch those stuffs to kip ourself busy and entertain ourselves, its d same with football, and movies especially long seasonal movie... so if BBA is useless, gus is also useless, watching football is useless, watching movies, especially endless seasonal movies is also useless..

1 Like

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Nobody: 9:09am On Oct 16, 2013
uj_sizzle:
And the contestants? What's the idea behind the shows if the economy is really down and people lack jobs? Shouldn't they be more concerned about empowering the people instead of keeping them on their tv screens for 3months 'relaxing'?

Don't talk about jobs abeg, because u wud need to explain to me why u watch seasonal movies and gus... Seasonal movies take up more time... As for the contestants, those shows provide jobs for them cos they get publicity ofcourse u know publicity of any form sells... They become famous through the show, they get endorsement deals, promotins nd shows..through which they make a living... Tell me another definition of empowering the pple?
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by IceSplash(f): 9:09am On Oct 16, 2013
reality shows are really of no benefit to us especially BBA d nudity is just too much *le sigh* buh talent shows on d oda hand i luv

1 Like

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Nobody: 9:12am On Oct 16, 2013
IceSplash: reality shows are really of no benefit to us especially BBA d nudity is just too much *le sigh* buh talent shows on d oda hand i luv

my daughter,u have spoken well.
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Afam4eva(m): 9:14am On Oct 16, 2013
They're mostly about entertainment and a little education. Though i seldom watch reality shows these days.
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by QMark: 9:26am On Oct 16, 2013
Yes, it is of great benefit......if your name is MTN, GLO or any of the brands that sponsor them. Benefit to the viewers? You need to ask me again.
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by QMark: 9:31am On Oct 16, 2013
Linqsz:

grin grin You must be 78 cos IceSplash is few weeks away from her 50th bd. If you're not, you better lie down there & say good morning to grandma.

He's kidding

1 Like

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Nobody: 9:32am On Oct 16, 2013
Linqsz:

how Dare u insult the god of soccer by comparing football and reality shows!!!
Some of us equally get pissed when your ilk sits around talking all day about soccer, forcing us to share the thrills, suspense, joys etc when a game is on!!
When all we are interested in is who rooney is dating, or how balotelli looks under the sheets, or how kaka's wifey must be feeling everytime he kisses their wedding band after a goal, etc

Just wait till the big reality show comes up in Brazil in 2014...

*runs away
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by prof800(m): 9:34am On Oct 16, 2013
If we contest in reality shows we benefit.
If we get entertained by watching reality shows...we benefit.
If we don't contest in reality shows...we DON'T benefit.
If we DON'T get entertained by watching reality shows...then we DON'T benefit.
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by oseiwe(m): 9:36am On Oct 16, 2013
I dont like d shows cos na only music/dancing talents dem dey discover. I only watched BBA (Kevin & Uti editions). But if u ask d winners and dose hopin to win so dat dey can blow, u will be labelled HATER.
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by oseiwe(m): 9:40am On Oct 16, 2013
kaeyame:
Some of us equally get pissed when your ilk sits around talking all day about soccer, forcing us to share the thrills, suspense, joys etc when a game is on!!
When all we are interested in is who rooney is dating, or how balotelli looks under the sheets, or how kaka's wifey must be feeling everytime he kisses their wedding band after a goal, etc

*runs away
so na balotelli foto u hang for ur room? Is danny shittu ur screensaver?
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by UjSizzle(f): 9:52am On Oct 16, 2013
Linqsz:

*rubbing d slapped red eyeballs*
I always skip the channels showing GUS.
cos d 1c I watch dey piss me off!
and maybe I will watch 1 episode soon buh if I dnt like it...u go give me back my wasted time oh!
lol don't worry Dennis will give you a reason to laugh smiley
*gives him eye drop*
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by notinmege: 9:59am On Oct 16, 2013
Some of them really(in reality) teach us how to boldly be unclad with a man in a bath before a worldwide camera, lol!

ReAlIty indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Nobody: 10:04am On Oct 16, 2013
Promhize:

How dare you compare football with ur stupid bba?
How dare you angry
What is football all about?
*a game with a prize?
*a fora where talent is recognized, polished and encouraged?
*a means of entertainment for the viewers
*a pool where fans meet and "yell" like a bunch of crazies?
*a means to make money?
*what are all these so called football academies we watch on tv? Define reality shows?
*if your answer to reality shows is restricted to BBA, I shake my head for you

#teamjordinsparks
#teamchidinma

1 Like

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by IceSplash(f): 10:12am On Oct 16, 2013
Linqsz:

lol tnx dad
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Nobody: 10:18am On Oct 16, 2013
kaeyame:

*runs away

so u'r patiently wait for world cup to start so u can rate who s hot and who is not..
oya!!! go and start watching 'keeping up with the kardarshians"..
because my beloveth football matches are not for that oh!
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Nobody: 10:22am On Oct 16, 2013
uj_sizzle:
lol don't worry Dennis will give you a reason to laugh smiley
*gives him eye drop*

*pours eye drop n blink twice*

will he send me part of the money if he wins?
if so; wen dem dey show GUS make I start to watch n support dennis# cool
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Sagamite(m): 10:28am On Oct 16, 2013
uj_sizzle: Reality TV shows/competitions are the new fad in TV programming and we have been inundated with so many of them through our TVs.

Examples are such shows are BBA, GUS, Next Movie Star, Project Fame, Nigerian Idol, Nigeria Got Talent, Celebrity Takes 2, Koko Mansion, X Factor, The Debaters, Apprentice Africa etc to mention a few.

Now, the question is are these shows beneficial to the society and the populace at large? It's debatable so I'll throw it to NLDers

Other than the obvious cash prizes and entertainment factor, what benefits do you think you've derived so far from following these shows and how do they impart positively on the lives of both contestants and viewers?

They are a dumb-down machinery. undecided

I can't stand most of them.

The few I have seen is strictly for looking at certain fine babes in them, not the stewpid fabricated plots.

1 Like

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Nobody: 10:28am On Oct 16, 2013
Q.Mark:

grin grin You must be 78 cos IceSplash is few weeks away from her 50th bd. If you're not, you better lie down there & say good morning to grandma.

He's kidding

age is just a number...money gives u d maturity#
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by MAYOWAAK: 10:29am On Oct 16, 2013
Who wants to be a Millionaire is one of the few that is highly beneficial.Aside,the monetary compensation,the value adding aspect of it via knowledge dissemination is noteworthy.My wish is that corporate bodies should endeavour to sponsor and introduce shows like WWTBAM as against the present craze for dancing and singing competitions.

2 Likes

Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Nobody: 10:32am On Oct 16, 2013
IceSplash: lol tnx dad

dnt wori yeh! I will increase ur pocket money soon..
Re: Are Reality TV Shows/Competitions Of Any Benefit To Us? by Kslib(m): 10:33am On Oct 16, 2013
Quite as expected, the thread has turned into an Ati-BBA empire..

Ok, i have learnt alot from BBA: tongue tongue tongue

1.. Human Behavior:
It shows how people try to blend in with others whose culture and way of life are almost the exact opposite. It gives a clear picture of human adaption, how people try to adapt to new a environment and successfully interact with new people of different cultures/background/geographical location within a very short period of time. Tourists and business people who travel around will find this skill very useful.

2.. Culture:
It effortlessly educates an outsider about the culture of certain African countries. Yes,you can easily do a quick google search to learn about other people's cultures but it cannot be compared to hearing it from the horses mouth. The housemates from time to time talk about the their countries,how the people behave and do things.. All thanks to Dillish, i now know that Namibia has a very very high rate of passionate killing------ I wont explain what passionate killing means tongue tongue , go and watch BBA or do a quick google search but mind you, you will never get the first hand experience i got when i listened to dillish talk about it and gave bizzare examples.

There are other numerous stuffs i learnt about other African countries but trying to type them here might catapult us to page 50..

3.. Perception:
Trust me,BBA is an eye opener. It taught me and gave me a first hand experience about how Africans see each other's country and its people. Almost, if not all the other housemates from other african countries made me realize that an average African see's a Nigerian as proud,loud and arrogant. It taught me that a Nigerian is naturally intimidating to people from other african countries. Inshort, they see an average Nigerian as a threat to their business..e..t.c-------------- it taught me that an african is silently competing with a Nigerian even without the Nigerian's knowledge..

BBA opened my eyes as to how other africans should i say "Worship our Music". Yes, i knew, we all know that our music is loved across Africa but those who watched BBA will vow at gun point that the show made them realize how strong our entertainment industry is.. Those same people who watched BBA can also vow that they never believed that our entertainment industry esp music is that adored across Africa. It was an eye opener. shocked shocked

BBA has taught me not to no longer get pissed at those Africans who come here to attack Nigerians because the truth is that " An Average Nigerian is Intimidating"----- Now i know where the frustration is coming from. Those who watched will understand 100% what the comment in quote means...

4.. Psychology:
Yes, psyche!!! The viewers try to figure out and explain why a housemate behaved in a certain way, what his or her plan is, and what he or she is driving at. It sharpens the mind broadens one's intuition skills. This is a very educative process because the mind of the viewer gets trained as he or she studies a certain housemate to know the message he/she is trying to pass across even without saying anything..

In summary----- Those with sharp minds and a discerning spirit find studying the behavior of the hosemates fun and an educative process..

Now you asked how the show impacts positively on the lives of the housemate?
The answer to this question is too overwhelmingly positive to mention in just a page but let me summarize..

I dont think there is any show in Africa that gives its contestants the opportunity to be successful after its closure like BBA. The moment you step out of the Big brother house, people,endorsement deals will come knocking at your door because you are now a popular figure. The fact that the show is watched by millions across Africa is a driving factor that pushes brands to the contestants because most companies want a face their consumers can easily identify with..

Melvin is an ambassador for AU--- African unity..
Bassey just joined the cast of Tinsel..
Maria is moving to Ghana to start her own reality show..
Elikem's fashion line which was formerly small prior to BBA is now beginning to be the next big thing..
I will just stop here.. I dont think there is any of the 28contestants whose life will remain thesame after BBA. BBA has given the opportunity and platform to excel if they want to.

Trust me, there are many many things i have learnt from BBA---- About Africa,Africans and how they see Nigerians,how people behave, how we Africans have alot in common. It also opened my eyes as to how strong the west african economy is, its entertainment industry and how people from other parts of Africa see it.

SIDE NOTE: Those who keep saying it promotes immorality..e..t..c need to get their heads thoroughly checked. These same people have never watched BBA in their entire life. All they know how to do is follow what others have said without having an opinion of theirs. All their so called facts are based on "them say" "them say".. I need not say much about that immorality ish, because i believe that issue has been tackled and flogged on a certain thread just last month..

Lastly,BBA is very educative; it depends on the viewer and how he or she see's things. .
Some people watch movies for entertainment while some watch it because they want to learn some habits/skills that will add to their life e..g detective/crime movies.

Some people listen to music cos they love the beats while some listen cos of to the lyrics. You will only see what you want to..
As for me, i watched BBA and saw/learnt things that were eye openers.. tongue tongue
All izz well!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Movie "300" / BBNaija All Stars: "I Dreamt Liquorose, Tacha, Erica, Joined The House" – Cross / Nta Reporters And Newscasters Of Yesteryears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.