Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,704 members, 7,813,330 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:55 AM

Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team - Programming (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team (34078 Views)

Nigerian Game Development: What's Happening? / Game Development: Join The Team / Who Wants to Start an Electronic Game Development Company? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Bulldog(m): 12:07am On Nov 04, 2013
^^^kpele
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Jivi: 2:50am On Nov 04, 2013
I dont have any art skill. So, I took this screenshot to demonstrate the expected level design. The environment is supposed to be like a village, city or town with a lot of buildings and pathways in between.

Bringing together all the Gameplay design idea's from everyone.
Goatie is expected to run from point A to point B. An Arrow on top of the screen will give him the shortest path to point B based on his current forward direction. However, he can decide to follow any other path and a new shortest path will be created. There is no wrong way. Also, he can decide to turn, in which case a mini-slow motion game involving pressing buttons to make moves will be involved to successfully cross the pursuing humans. He has to dodge obstacles with the button pressing game like jjk24 said. If he is unable to dodge, the humans will catch up with him and a slow motion game to escape will start again. He will be running by default but can control his direction dynamically(not like temple run). The gameplay programming will modify his directions to prevent him from impacting walls directly. At times, some of the humans(being smart) will take a short cut to get ahead of him. and he has to dodge and so on until he gets to his final destination. Also, the humans will throw stones at him. If he does not dodge, his life reduces and they probably catch up with him etc.
Also, Goatie can hit other humans going about their everyday life in the village in the escape process and probably destroy something of theirs and they would probably in anger join in the pursuit. Some others may randomly join and randomly leave but the core pursuers will remain.

Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by 9ineGames: 2:54am On Nov 04, 2013
its good to see Nigerians working on building a solid game for pc lovers !!!i really hope this comes into reality and not just die here ....i would advice you guys to just concentrate on doing just 1 short mission!!!*(we hope to help fund such projects in the future)*

1 Like

Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Jivi: 3:32am On Nov 04, 2013
9ineGames: its good to see Nigerians working on building a solid game for pc lovers !!!i really hope this comes into reality and not just die here ....i would advice you guys to just concentrate on doing just 1 short mission!!!*(we hope to help fund such projects in the future)*
Great!
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Jivi: 3:53am On Nov 04, 2013
Does anyone have the skill to make texture maps with dirt like in the image below for buildings in the environment? This would guarantee a very solid graphics for this game.

Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Jivi: 6:25am On Nov 04, 2013
Since the first mission will be in a townish and maybe village-ish setting, we could start modelling nigerian style town/village buildings(1 / 2 storey, not texture mapped) randomly and group into a section of a town with / without the aid of google map image town plan using any nigerian town.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by dueal(m): 6:35am On Nov 04, 2013
@jivi i can handle textures, @all i'm still confused about the story....goaty's ment to battle humans...how will he do dat, and r we still trying to make d temple run mod...whos going to handle dat size of map that looks like grand theft auto. i suggest we stick to something in d form of crash bandicoot camera follow case we still thinking of a run mission.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Jivi: 6:50am On Nov 04, 2013
dueal: @jivi i can handle textures, @all i'm still confused about the story....goaty's ment to battle humans...how will he do dat, and r we still trying to make d temple run mod...whos going to handle dat size of map that looks like grand theft auto. i suggest we stick to something in d form of crash bandicoot camera follow case we still thinking of a run mission.

Goaty will escape first, release other animals before the battle begins because the humans refused to leave them alone. The president of Nigeria wants goat meat for Xmas.(lol)
Some of the buildings will be repeated. Also, its not going to be very big like GTA. Its going to be like a part of a town with a few buildings. It is not going to have detailed buildings like having interiors etc. It going to be an exterior only building but well modelled. and the number could be 20 to 50 with repetitions. We can also re-use the environment for another mission later involving gun battles.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by dueal(m): 7:03am On Nov 04, 2013
ok @jivi...waiting to see d full story
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by jjk24(m): 8:16am On Nov 04, 2013
Jivi: I dont have any art skill. So, I took this screenshot to demonstrate the expected level design. The environment is supposed to be like a village, city or town with a lot of buildings and pathways in between.

Bringing together all the Gameplay design idea's from everyone.
Goatie is expected to run from point A to point B. An Arrow on top of the screen will give him the shortest path to point B based on his current forward direction. However, he can decide to follow any other path and a new shortest path will be created. There is no wrong way. Also, he can decide to turn, in which case a mini-slow motion game involving pressing buttons to make moves will be involved to successfully cross the pursuing humans. He has to dodge obstacles with the button pressing game like jjk24 said. If he is unable to dodge, the humans will catch up with him and a slow motion game to escape will start again. He will be running by default but can control his direction dynamically(not like temple run). The gameplay programming will modify his directions to prevent him from impacting walls directly. At times, some of the humans(being smart) will take a short cut to get ahead of him. and he has to dodge and so on until he gets to his final destination. Also, the humans will throw stones at him. If he does not dodge, his life reduces and they probably catch up with him etc.
Also, Goatie can hit other humans going about their everyday life in the village in the escape process and probably destroy something of theirs and they would probably in anger join in the pursuit. Some others may randomly join and randomly leave but the core pursuers will remain.
so the game camera is gonna be up?! Top view for this mission?!
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by jjk24(m): 8:25am On Nov 04, 2013
Check out this uncharted 2 truck chase scene. m.youtube.com/watch?v=jEKQKJTGufc&guid=&client=mv-google&gl=GB&hl=en-GB

Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by jjk24(m): 8:46am On Nov 04, 2013
If u can't watch the video the pictures sais it all. U sai drake runnin towards d camera and behind him a truck chasing him then he start shooting @ d car buh nt lukin forward the camera is in front of the player !! Dahs ma "personal" vision for the 1st mission goatie is drake!- running frm humans nt a truck goatie doesn't have a destination jst escape the humans is in is mind so I tink we shudnt giv player the free dom to go eni where here jst direct dem to a certain point along the wa dey avoi stones thrown by the humans jst by moving left and rhyt since goatie is lukin backwards and d camera Is facing the enemies # !! Just watch the vid and tell me wach u tink jivi and co!
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Nobody: 9:40am On Nov 04, 2013
@jjk, Dats a grt idea cus its an escape mission not a maze or explore mission.. I think it should be a single lane then a cross road leading to the same place ( like the exact temple run but with a different setting, background, and characters) cus he is not racing with them, he is escaping from them
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by dueal(m): 10:47am On Nov 04, 2013
@jjk...on point...better dan building a maze of sorts....draft

1 Like

Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Jivi: 2:53pm On Nov 04, 2013
jjk24: so the game camera is gonna be up?! Top view for this mission?!
no, thats just an illustration
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Jivi: 2:53pm On Nov 04, 2013
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Jivi: 3:04pm On Nov 04, 2013
jjk24: If u can't watch the video the pictures sais it all. U sai drake runnin towards d camera and behind him a truck chasing him then he start shooting @ d car buh nt lukin forward the camera is in front of the player !! Dahs ma "personal" vision for the 1st mission goatie is drake!- running frm humans nt a truck goatie doesn't have a destination jst escape the humans is in is mind so I tink we shudnt giv player the free dom to go eni where here jst direct dem to a certain point along the wa dey avoi stones thrown by the humans jst by moving left and rhyt since goatie is lukin backwards and d camera Is facing the enemies # !! Just watch the vid and tell me wach u tink jivi and co!
not a bad idea. That means the mission would be short.
@dueal, jjk24
going with jjk24's idea, Can we get a draft of how the level design would be so that we can start making 3d models of buildings etc for the escape lane? I searched online for African-like buildings and only ancient huts kept coming out. So, I dont think we can download for this.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by dueal(m): 3:16pm On Nov 04, 2013
@jivi will work on something
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Bulldog(m): 3:31pm On Nov 04, 2013
bungalow model. Nothing inside the house though

2 Likes

Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Jivi: 3:34pm On Nov 04, 2013
Bulldog: bungalow model. Nothing inside the house though
nice one.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by jjk24(m): 4:44pm On Nov 04, 2013
Bulldog: bungalow model. Nothing inside the house though
rili nyc one sir!. Wich software did u use and dis is in wich format!£.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by jjk24(m): 4:47pm On Nov 04, 2013
Jivi:
not a bad idea. That means the mission would be short.
@dueal, jjk24
going with jjk24's idea, Can we get a draft of how the level design would be so that we can start making 3d models of buildings etc for the escape lane? I searched online for African-like buildings and only ancient huts kept coming out. So, I dont think we can download for this.
it doesn't have 2 b daht short though we will work on that soon and beside its an introduction 2 d game boss!. Am gonna work on the level design !!#cheers we movin !!#progress
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Bulldog(m): 5:04pm On Nov 04, 2013
jjk24: rili nyc one sir!. Wich software did u use and dis is in wich format!£.
blender and it's in the .blend format
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Jivi: 5:09pm On Nov 04, 2013
Bulldog: blender and it's go the .blend format
I believe we are going to export to a common format(.obj or .3ds) as jjk24 suggested earlier.
Also, We need to manage/share source codes and assets. So, I will create a github project and get everyone to join in.

So, please create a github account here -> https://github.com/ if you dont have one yet and send me your username
at jivibounty@yahoo.com or post it here.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Bulldog(m): 5:41pm On Nov 04, 2013
k
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by jjk24(m): 6:17pm On Nov 04, 2013
Alredi done add up jjk24 on anoda topic!! I tink gud luking. Model all comes down to gud texture and @ jivi is rhyt about we niding buildings with the african feel check out this textures old gritty kinda luk !!. Damn ASUU call off this strike na dis ouse is killin me ppl nO time 4 enifin!!
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Jivi: 7:07pm On Nov 04, 2013
We would create the models and have it textured by someone else
In other words, the modelling of a building will be a separate activity from its texturing except the modeler
has the skill set to do that too.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by jjk24(m): 7:10pm On Nov 04, 2013
Damn wahs wrng wit nl bein tryin 2 post d texture images. Since !! Nawa o!. @jivi yea dahs gud am gnna try ma hands. In tex turing though!.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by jjk24(m): 7:11pm On Nov 04, 2013
Damn wahs wrng wit nl bein tryin 2 post d texture images. Since !! Nawa o!. @jivi yea dahs gud am gnna try ma hands. In tex turing though!. Level design on point !.
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by jjk24(m): 7:42pm On Nov 04, 2013
Pls hw does dis github work abeg a no understand enifin 4 dere o
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Nobody: 8:14pm On Nov 04, 2013
Closely following u guys progress and I am highly thrilled............Keep it up guys,pls explain the github stuff much more better
Re: Game Development: Next Gen 3d PC Game Team by Jivi: 8:53pm On Nov 04, 2013
I will come up with a basic explanation on using github and post it here by tomorrow for everyone who do not know how to use it. However, just create your accounts and send them for now.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (24) (Reply)

Microcontrollers / What Is Computer Programming / First Thing First, Learn To Program!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.