Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,919 members, 7,824,860 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:30 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 - Travel (220) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (455085 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 3:06pm On Jul 02, 2014
Stewee:

Thanks dear!
I contacted school and they told me its okay that that's how it's suppose to be since its my mom that's sponsoring.... All I have to do now during my interview is to also tell them that and airline here in Nigeria is also co sponsoring and offering me a job after my training.
Thanks for your Inputs!!!

Pls print that email conversation and take it with you to be on the safer side. Best of luck
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Stewee(m): 3:08pm On Jul 02, 2014
juntod:

Good idea. Now I am beginning to think along that line. I am sure personal funds could mean family funds for some schools. Stewee just clarify with your school.

Done That!
They say it means it could either my mom or my dad that's Sponsoring.

Thank You Guys So Much!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 3:15pm On Jul 02, 2014
* Observing
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by domex007: 3:41pm On Jul 02, 2014
Stewee:

Done That!
They say it means it could either my mom or my dad that's Sponsoring.

Thank You Guys So Much!!!

Now go grab ur visa..
Goodluck..

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by zenzen: 3:45pm On Jul 02, 2014
Ashigolo: I thank the Almighty God who made everything possible for me. I thank every member of this thread who have been there for me right from the early stage of the application process.

I slept in a friend's room (@doctoroma) at henry carr hostel, unilag postgraduate school, woke up at 3:15 and join a cab at unilag gate at exactly 4:25. I got to the embassy too early (4:45) and had to wait at the gate b4 it was finally opened at 5:15. At 6:00am, we were checked in, documents were checked and we finally landed in the consulate building where I got the number A003. My number flashed at counter 14, did the biometrics, primary documents were collected and I was asked to wait for my number to flash again. We waited for like 15 minutes b4 the VOs came around and the main interview started. Several applicants were interviewd b4 me, some accepted and some denied, I was so nervous but I kept my cool. Finally my number (A003) flashed at window 6 and I moved straight to the VO, a male in his early or late 40s I think. The interview lasted for like 1mins, this is how it went down

Me: Good morning sir, hw was your night
VO: fine thank you, how are you today
VO: you are Ashimi ...
me: yes sir
vo: I can see you are going for a master's degree in mathematics
vo: do you write SAT (i quickly corrected him that its gre)
vo: can i see your score card
me: i quickly gave him, he checked and returned
vo: what is your last degree and from which sch
me: mathematics from lagos state university (LASU)
vo: can i see your certificate
me: I gave it to him, he checked for some seconds and confirmd
the authenticity
vo: I can see you have an assitanship, in what form
me: its a teaching assistanship sir
vo: what will you do with your MS degree
me: I will come back to Nigeria to become a researcher and a college professor in computational mathematics.
vo: so who will pay for the rest
me: my dad
vo: what does he so
me: he is an aviation consultant for airlines and nigeria airforce
vo: your visa has been approved, pick it up at dhl V.I

it was simply God's favour, only gre and my BSc certificate were checked. No questions like why are u goin 2 US, hw many schs did u apply to, he didnt even ask me the name of the sch. I only made sure i maintaind eye contact with the VO all through th process I spoke confidently. All the same, it was God.

Thank you so much once again and to those that are yet to go for their interview, I wish u all success.

Sorry about the errors, I'm stucked in trafic along badagry express road, so I used my phone to type.
Cheers!
congrat bro....dunno the bsc certificate is very compulsory in the embassy,will go apply for mine also...meanwhile wah set re u in lasu cos am also a lasuite 2012 set fms
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Stewee(m): 3:53pm On Jul 02, 2014
juntod:

Pls print that email conversation and take it with you to be on the safer side. Best of luck

Will do! Thank You!!!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by govman4: 3:53pm On Jul 02, 2014
juntod:

How exactly have you been doing your search? Have you tried emailing grad programs and profs?
10ks bro,i av been searchin 2ru d grad schl link dt was posted on d trend to 2 checked 2ru each schl website n dia financial aid packages,but i wil narrow my search 2ru mailing dt u suggest
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Stewee(m): 3:56pm On Jul 02, 2014
Please Guys One more thing...
Is it safe to take my mom's statement printed on the 9th of may?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by idee91: 3:59pm On Jul 02, 2014
Tenks to u mr. Graviton.... hav downloaded cracking the new gmat 2013 and some oda books succesfully... na to start jack be dat o
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by calmdown: 4:08pm On Jul 02, 2014
Ashigolo: I thank the Almighty God who made everything possible for me. I thank every member of this thread who have been there for me right from the early stage of the application process.

I slept in a friend's room (@doctoroma) at henry carr hostel, unilag postgraduate school, woke up at 3:15 and join a cab at unilag gate at exactly 4:25. I got to the embassy too early (4:45) and had to wait at the gate b4 it was finally opened at 5:15. At 6:00am, we were checked in, documents were checked and we finally landed in the consulate building where I got the number A003. My number flashed at counter 14, did the biometrics, primary documents were collected and I was asked to wait for my number to flash again. We waited for like 15 minutes b4 the VOs came around and the main interview started. Several applicants were interviewd b4 me, some accepted and some denied, I was so nervous but I kept my cool. Finally my number (A003) flashed at window 6 and I moved straight to the VO, a male in his early or late 40s I think. The interview lasted for like 1mins, this is how it went down

Me: Good morning sir, hw was your night
VO: fine thank you, how are you today
VO: you are Ashimi ...
vo: I can see you are going for a master's degree in mathematics
vo: do you write SAT (i quickly corrected him that its gre)
vo: can i see your score card
me: i quickly gave him, he checked and returned
vo: what is your last degree and from which sch
me: mathematics from lagos state university (LASU)
vo: can i see your certificate
me: I gave it to him, he checked for some seconds and confirmd
the authenticity
vo: I can see you have an assitanship, in what form
me: its a teaching assistanship sir
vo: what will you do with your MS degree
me: I will come back to Nigeria to become a researcher and a college professor in computational mathematics.
vo: so who will pay for the rest
me: my dad
vo: what does he so
me: he is an aviation consultant for airlines and nigeria airforce
vo: your visa has been approved, pick it up at dhl V.I

it was simply God's favour, only gre and my BSc certificate were checked. No questions like why are u goin 2 US, hw many schs did u apply to, he didnt even ask me the name of the sch. I only made sure i maintaind eye contact with the VO all through th process I spoke confidently. All the same, it was God.

Thank you so much once again and to those that are yet to go for their interview, I wish u all success.

Sorry about the errors, I'm stucked in trafic along badagry express road, so I used my phone to type.
Cheers!

Congrats bro...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by calmdown: 4:08pm On Jul 02, 2014
Congrats to you unnamdi79

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Stewee(m): 4:23pm On Jul 02, 2014
domex007:

Now go grab ur visa..
Goodluck..

LOL
Surething!
Thanks!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by streetMic(m): 4:40pm On Jul 02, 2014
Not a perfect suggestion..steweee is the airline stated on ur i20 as sponsor? if yes, No P. but if ur sponsor states Family or your Mum's name, go with your Mums financial docs and use the airline as support or back up. Make sure u get all the necessary docs from the airline sha

bimbola85:

If I were you, I will fill another DS160 form and indicate the Airline company as my sponsor and update my profile with the new code.

Filling another DS160 form can't affect your interview date. You can use your mum as standby sponsor in case of unforeseen circumstances where the airline company withdrawn the sponsorship.

Note: You must go with detailed letter of sponsorship from the airline company and should be able to explain why the airline is sponsoring you(what they stand to gain from it). Lobatan
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 4:43pm On Jul 02, 2014
idee91: Tenks to u mr. Graviton.... hav downloaded cracking the new gmat 2013 and some oda books succesfully... na u start jack be dat

My pleasure. Enjoy!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 4:55pm On Jul 02, 2014
Stewee: Please Guys One more thing...
Is it safe to take my mom's statement printed on the 9th of may?

You are good to go.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by saisbury10: 5:11pm On Jul 02, 2014
Graviton v.2.0.:
* Observing

Please give me the name of the guy you ask me to contact pm
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by streetMic(m): 5:36pm On Jul 02, 2014
Congrats Ashigolo, Feedex, Nnamdi..We Bless God for your Stories and we pray for more of his favours!

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by McKinzie: 5:47pm On Jul 02, 2014
Prof Eze: Hello House,

I am very sorry for just posting how my interview went. I give all glory to God for its success. I also thank these people who are already studying in the States: Wale in Florida and Moni in Kansas.

My Profile: GRE; 170 Quant, 150 Verbal; TOEFL iBT; 109; Assistantship; RA (with ~$2,000 more than the required fund for a year).

Pre-Interview: My interview was on Thursday June 5 in Lagos. On Wednesday June 4th, I was at MFM headquarters to pray for divine presence. I had read this thread from part 1 up to the eve of my interview. Some of my friends who are in the states had already told me that I should just go and pick up my visa since the department is providing full funding, even in excess of $2,000. Still, I prayed and read this thread very well (even though it's time consuming).

Interview Day: I woke up 4:00 a.m. at my friend's house in Somolu and eventually got to the embassy at 5:18am in the heavy raining. My appointment was for 6:30am. My 1-20, GTB visa payment receipt, DS-160 confimation page as well as appointment confirmation print out alongside my int. passport were collected. After the biometric data capture, my number prompted up for the proper interview. My interview spanned about 30sec. Here is it;

VO: (No greetings o) You are Mr XYZ going to the University of xxxx for MSc in xxxxx
Me: Yes
VO: Who will sponsor you
Me: I am on scholarship(checked my 1-20
VO: Anyone going with you
Me: No
VO: (handed a paper to me marking DHL Isolo) Pick your visa at the address circled.
Me: Thank you (No single document was requested...Not even GRE and TOEFL)

I never knew God will honour me this way. Brethren, join me in praising Him. I pray that "for as many as those who have been destined to study in the US, nothing shall stop you in Jesus' name" (Amen). All contributors in this forum, I am grateful to you. Shalom

This i'snt Funny, GOD gave you with ease. CONGRATS BRO!!!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by tayhur009: 5:52pm On Jul 02, 2014
Congratulation! My own testimony is on the way!
unnamdi79: Visa granted this morning at abuja...the interview was for 7:30am and I got there by 6:00am.. By 7:15am we were called in and then the biometrics. The first woman got her visa approved with her two children,the second person was denied,the third person was denied and I was the fourth,just then another VO stepped in and called for me.
Me:Good morning ma'am
VO:Good morning,where in US have you been?

MesadI didn't hear her very well)yes, I've been to the US before
VO:where in the US?
Me:texas,maryland

VO:have any family in the US?
Me:no

VO:what programme are you going for?
Me:pre-medical studies

VO:OK,who will sponsor you?
Me:my dad

VO:what does he do?
Me:he's a permanent secretary retired but he's now into agriculture

VO:ok,you're going for an associate degree?
Me:yes

VO:what will you do after your studies?
Me:I'll transfer to a university to get my bachelors then move into medical school to become a medical doctor proper.

VO:how did you know about this school?
Me:it was one of the places I visited while I was in the US and after much research on them,I found out that the student to faculty ratio is 25:1(though I wasn't sure) and that will in turn make me closer to my professors

VO:fine,when did you graduate from secondary school?
Me:2012

VO: you have your waec?let me see it
Me:hands it over..

VO:ok,you visa will be ready for pick up on friday..
Me:thanks
As I was about leaving,she called me back,I almost fainted,and she said "sorry your visa will be ready on monday,friday is a public holiday"..she kept typing and looking at her screen...I was so confident that I wasn't scared...just pray and be confident and you'll get your visa..out of all my documents,just my waec was asked for

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 6:07pm On Jul 02, 2014
govman4:
10ks bro,i av been searchin 2ru d grad schl link dt was posted on d trend to 2 checked 2ru each schl website n dia financial aid packages,but i wil narrow my search 2ru mailing dt u suggest

Of course it is stated on all school websites that they have funding available. But that doesn't mean everybody will get it. So, contact grad school, your program and profs in your specific area of interest.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 6:24pm On Jul 02, 2014
saisbury10:

Please give me the name of the guy you ask me to contact pm

Idazbawz
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by unnamdi79(m): 6:27pm On Jul 02, 2014
tayhur009: Congratulation! My own testimony is on the way!
amen brotherly

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bimbola85(m): 6:31pm On Jul 02, 2014
streetMic: Not a perfect suggestion..steweee is the airline stated on ur i20 as sponsor? if yes, No P. but if ur sponsor states Family or your Mum's name, go with your Mums financial docs and use the airline as support or back up. Make sure u get all the necessary docs from the airline sha

I advised him based on the information he supplied and forgot to ask him whose bank statement he sent for the issuance of his I-20.

I decided not to say more when I've seen enough people advising him. I'm surprised you even quoted me when the op himself didn't.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Green120: 6:43pm On Jul 02, 2014
Hello house, i need your help.
I have Been a silent follower and read through all the post.
My wife, myself and my two kids ages 3yrs and the other 7 months,applied for a student visa, my wife was the main applicant while myself and the kids applied for f2 but we applied at the same time as she did and our visas where denied,the VO only gave her a paper stating she didn't have any strong ties back home and the only question asked was why did you pick this school.

She reapplied immediately and went for interview today with just my 7month old baby and she said all the VO asked her was how will you pay for your studies which she answered that I was going to pay for her, he asked her again what I do and she said I own my company and that I am also into landed properties,
VO how will you cope with your child
She answered that she will enroll her in a day care

VO how will you pay for the day care
She answered my husband will

VO why did you choose this school( roosevelt university)
She said as she was about answering, she had only said the school has a good academic reputation the the VO cut her short and said by who
She said usnews.com

VO what does the school rank in the usnews ranking
She said 77 in the region

VO why didn't you go for other ones that are ranked higher
She said she needed a school that is affordable as well

VO is cost a problem and she said no

Only for him to bring out a blue paper and handed it to her saying am sorry you do not qualify for bla bla bla

Kindly advice
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Stewee(m): 7:21pm On Jul 02, 2014
bimbola85:

I advised him based on the information he supplied and forgot to ask him whose bank statement he sent for the issuance of his I-20.

I decided not to say more when I've seen enough people advising him. I'm surprised you even quoted me when the op himself didn't.

Bimbola no vex ooo
These things can be complicating some times.
My mom's statement is what I've been using since for processing all my documents. It wasn't until recently the airline company decided to sponsor and give me a job when I return.
Please any inputs or suggestions or contributions or clarifications will be appreciated. Thank You!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 7:32pm On Jul 02, 2014
Green120: Hello house, i need your help.
My wife, myself and my two kids ages 3yrs and the other 7 months,applied for a student visa, my wife was the main applicant while myself and the kids applied for f2 but we applied at the same time as she did and our visas where denied,the VO only gave her a paper stating she didn't have any strong ties back home and the only question asked was why did you pick this school.

She reapplied immediately and went for interview today with just my 7month old baby and she said all the VO asked her was how will you pay for your studies which she answered that I was going to pay for her, he asked her again what I do and she said I own my company and that I am also into landed properties,

She said as she was about answering, she had only said the school has a good academic reputation the the VO cut her short and said by who
She said usnews.com

Only for him to bring out a blue paper and handed it to her saying am sorry you do not qualify for bla bla bla

Kindly advice

So sorry bro. This is really a difficult situation. I can only guess that the problem started from you all applying at the same time. She would have applied alone since yourself and the kids back home would have been a very strong home tie. Joining her after a couple of months would have been easier. Again, daycare in the US is very expensive. Approval rate for a full time student visa for a woman with a toddler is really very low. I really have no suggestion for now. I will revisit the case once I have ideas. *All hope not lost*
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 7:36pm On Jul 02, 2014
Stewee:

Bimbola no vex ooo
These things can be complicating some times.
My mom's statement is what I've been using since for processing all my documents. It wasn't until recently the airline company decided to sponsor and give me a job when I return.
Please any inputs or suggestions or contributions or clarifications will be appreciated. Thank You!!!

If your mother has enough money in her account, I will suggest you front her as your sponsor and further explain to the VO that upon discussing with your employer (airline) about your decision to resign and further your education, they were very impressed and offered to take full responsibility as they will be needing your services after your degree (This hammers on home tie as well).
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 7:46pm On Jul 02, 2014
Green120: Hello house, i need your help.

She said usnews.com

Kindly advice

I will be very direct with you.

She has to go alone for now, you and the kids can join her later if need be. An entire family leaving the country just because a member wants to go for a degree doesn't sound too convincing nor is it logical.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jul 02, 2014
Graviton v.2.0.:

She has to go alone for now, you and the kids can join her later if need be. An entire family leaving the country just because a member wants to go for a degree doesn't sound too convincing nor is it logical.

Outright eloping grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 7:52pm On Jul 02, 2014
slimmy05: Outright eloping grin

I'm telling you. The VO sight them from afar.

The VO would probably be thinking "The whole family! For the whole duration of study? That's a lot of expenses. What about the man's business here in Nigeria?"

In the second interview, I'm very sure the VO was not even convinced the wife was going for her studies, notice how piercing the questions asked were. The VO was not interviewing, the VO was probing.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by juntod: 8:17pm On Jul 02, 2014
slimmy05: Outright eloping grin

grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Green120: 8:43pm On Jul 02, 2014
Graviton v.2.0.:

thanks alots I really understand

(1) (2) (3) ... (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) ... (501)

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Italian Student Visa-help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.