Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land (23257 Views)

Revealed: Abuja Was Part Of Igboland / CNN Claims Abuja Under The Control Of Boko Haram (Video) / Let's Be Honest , The Un Bombing In Abuja Was Carried Out By The Americans ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by omoalajah(m): 3:58pm On Oct 18, 2013
Stolen from who?

When one of Nigeria's long line of military rulers, General Olusegun Obasanjo, seized the land on which Abuja was to be built in the late 1970s, he could hardly have imagined that the city would remain unfinished 35 years on.

Abuja has a makeshift, haphazard feel to it: A place of bureaucrats and building sites, its streets eerily empty after the buzz of Lagos or the enterprising bustle of Kano.

It is one of the most expensive cities in Africa, and one of the most charmless.

The skyline is dominated by the space-rocket spires of the National Christian Centre and the golden dome of the National Mosque, facing each other pugnaciously across a busy highway at the city's centre.

Its other striking landmark is the vast construction site of the Millennium Tower, which, if it is ever completed, will be Nigeria's tallest building.

The skyscraper was intended to mark Abuja's 20th birthday in 2011. Now delayed until who-knows-when, hugely over-budget and the subject of numerous official investigations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24404633
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24404633
More gists and gossips from http://omoalaja..com

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by mrnuur(m): 4:04pm On Oct 18, 2013
maybe its that LovePeddler queen that owns it....mtsww

12 Likes

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by iterator25: 4:07pm On Oct 18, 2013
BBC has not seen her period.. I'm not offended

5 Likes

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by Ikengawo: 4:09pm On Oct 18, 2013
The UK is a washed up tired country that was bought wholesale by the US

18 Likes

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 18, 2013
Booked
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by KiKatanga: 4:21pm On Oct 18, 2013

Read the actual article.

This was the home of the Gwari people, the original inhabitants of the land where the capital was built.

Hundreds of thousands of them were summarily evicted in the 1970s, and now scrape a living in the hills.
Gwari people crossing road Many of the original owners of the land around Abuja are now living in poverty

Abuja is itself a Gwari word and, although the city of generals and politicians below us had barely 700,000 inhabitants, two or three million people live in these shanty towns, many of them Gwari.

The Gwari people continue to fight for compensation for the land wrested from them by the Obasanjo government, land now worth more per square kilometre than almost anywhere else in Africa.

The Land was stolen by Nigerians from Nigerians you bigots.

6 Likes

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by mistudreh(m): 4:22pm On Oct 18, 2013
haha BBC una too funny.
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by Arosa(m): 4:24pm On Oct 18, 2013
Stolen from the Gwari people they said. undecided

1 Like

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by ilaugh1: 4:40pm On Oct 18, 2013
Ki-Katanga:

Read the actual article.

Stolen indeed.
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by moderatorr: 4:41pm On Oct 18, 2013
By law, all lands within the territory of Nigeria belings to the FG, they can take it whenever they want. BBC too was stone - from native English gwari people ;DBy law, all lands within the territory of Nigeria belings to the FG, they can take it whenever they want. BBC too was stone - from native English gwari people smiley

1 Like

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by Arosa(m): 4:43pm On Oct 18, 2013
moderatorr: By law, all lands within the territory of Nigeria belings to the FG, they can take it whenever they want. BBC too was stone - from native English gwari people ;DBy law, all lands within the territory of Nigeria belings to the FG, they can take it whenever they want. BBC too was stone - from native English gwari people smiley

Well I have a problem with that. That law should be changed. angry That is how they took my Father's land that he bought from the local villagers. The Federal State Government stole my Father's land. True story. angry angry angry
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by Nobody: 4:53pm On Oct 18, 2013
Arosa: Stolen from the Gwari people they said. undecided

See as these guys are hell bent on tearing this country apart. This place, I have grown to love

BBC, the plan is to get these people to pick up arms and begin to request settlement!

11 Likes

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by solomon111(m): 4:55pm On Oct 18, 2013
Who cares what the BBC thinks?

1 Like

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by DonMagicJuan: 5:00pm On Oct 18, 2013
Stolen from the Mama charlie's Estate abi?

Useless brits
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by DonMagicJuan: 5:01pm On Oct 18, 2013
Ki-Katanga:

Read the actual article.

you are a big f00l
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by KiKatanga: 5:15pm On Oct 18, 2013
Go on, explain why the government shouldn't pay people when it takes their land.

6 Likes

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by Abagworo(m): 5:35pm On Oct 18, 2013
Nigeria's former military President Ibrahim Babangida is a Gwari.

1 Like

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by KiKatanga: 5:36pm On Oct 18, 2013
Why does that make a difference?

If the government takes from anyone, they should be remunerated.

2 Likes

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by luvablesam(m): 5:42pm On Oct 18, 2013
The Falkland islands is in Argentina about 12,000kms away from britain, y does the UK claim it as part of their territory?..Pls the UK shld settle its domestic problems ,tackle their lack of natural resources and give back the falklands to Argentina before they talk about Nigeria...

40 Likes

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by DonMagicJuan: 5:44pm On Oct 18, 2013
Abagworo: Nigeria's former military President Ibrahim Babangida is a Gwari.

he is not. he is ebira
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by DonMagicJuan: 5:46pm On Oct 18, 2013
luvable sam: The Maldives is in Argentina about 12,000kms away from britain, y does the UK cliam it as part of their territory?..Pls the UK shld settle its domestic problems ,tackle their lack of natural resources and give back the Maldives to argentina before they talk about Nigeria...

their is like the proverbial dude pointing out a speck of wood.
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by WildChild00(m): 5:50pm On Oct 18, 2013
Dont be surprise BBC is short of news @ the moment.

6 Likes

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by Arosa(m): 5:51pm On Oct 18, 2013
Don Magic Juan:

he is not. he is ebira

This Wikipedia is always given us false informations, cos they clam he is Gwari. angry
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by russellino: 5:52pm On Oct 18, 2013
Abagworo: Nigeria's former military President Ibrahim Babangida is a Gwari.

Certainly not. IBB is Nupe

1 Like

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by KiKatanga: 5:54pm On Oct 18, 2013
luvable sam: The Maldives is in Argentina about 12,000kms away from britain, y does the UK cliam it as part of their territory?..Pls the UK shld settle its domestic problems ,tackle their lack of natural resources and give back the Maldives to argentina before they talk about Nigeria...

The Maldives are a sovereign country, in the Indian Ocean and is not even (currently) part of the commonwealth, let alone clamed by Britain.

Do they teach you people Geography?

5 Likes

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by 9jahubcom(m): 5:57pm On Oct 18, 2013
iterator25: BBC has not seen her period.. I'm not offended
nor be small
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by BabaEleko(m): 5:57pm On Oct 18, 2013
But who can dispute the fact that NIGERIA GOVERNMENT is a THIEF!

1 Like

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by homesteady(m): 5:58pm On Oct 18, 2013
Don Magic Juan:

he is not. he is ebira

Ebira ke? Is he not from Niger state??
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by felzylix(m): 5:59pm On Oct 18, 2013
Stolen from london i guess #mtcheeeww!
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by hotclint: 5:59pm On Oct 18, 2013
Go school = Strike
I no go school = illiteracy
I travel by air = Plane crash
By sea = Militants
By land = Kidnappers, bad roads and robbers
By train = 2-days from Kano to Lagos
I go to Mosque/Church = Boko Haram
I go to village = Witchcraft
I stay at home = No work!
Wetin una want make person do??

16 Likes

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by movmentish(m): 5:59pm On Oct 18, 2013
stories that touch the heart...

2 Likes

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by 9jahubcom(m): 6:00pm On Oct 18, 2013
WildChild00: Dont be surprise BBC is short of news @ the moment.
u may be right oh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG Charges Saraki And Ekweremadu With Forgery / I Got Seized N3bn As Gifts During Ceremonies –yakubu / Shehu Sani, Suleiman Hunkuyi & Journalist Attacked During Press Briefing (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.