Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,245 members, 7,856,983 topics. Date: Tuesday, 11 June 2024 at 10:07 AM

Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State - Politics (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State (38188 Views)

Jarus-sponsored Buhari Jingle For Kwara State / A Thread For Kwara State Citizens And Inhabitants / Tony Tetuila Declares For Kwara State House Of Assembly Seat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by 0monnakoda: 11:43am On Oct 25, 2013
What is 100% Yoruba? What does that mean?
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Nobody: 11:50am On Oct 25, 2013
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Nobody: 2:02pm On Oct 25, 2013
Good write up.@op.
Even looking at the map alone would tell you that Kwara is in a wrong region. I still don't know why any place below the rivers Niger and Benue should be classified as North. It's all politics, I believe. When the chips are down, the northerners know themselves.
To the person saying, the Idi-Ape people are the only yorubas in Ilorin, I laugh at your ignorance. Ilorin is a typical Yoruba city and that's why we still have Oja-Oba right in front of the Emir's palace. Go check out any yoruba community and you'll agree with me. Having an Emir of Ilorin does not make all the indigenes,fulanis,same way having an Emir of Lafiagi does not make the people less-Nupe.
I believe having independent regional governments purely along ethnic lines would breed competition and mutual respect,lead to rapid development,and eradicate suspicion.
My country home shares boundary with Ekiti state and it hurts,coz a large part of my ancenstral land is now accross.It's too bad when a people is under two governments.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Nobody: 10:54pm On Oct 25, 2013
lertee:
Then the disintegrtion will have to be in pieces.
Ilorin alone cannot be moved out of kwara cos it is the largest in the state so anywhere ilorin goes,other prts of kwara follows unless they will be separated one by one and this will cause confusion.
The yorubas in kogi (aiyetoro,isanlu,iyara,and co will not have it easy.
I bet you, not even Ganmo, a town right outside Ilorin metropolis will go any direction Ilorin goes. You should know, that the Igbomina house at Ganmo is not for nothing. If Ilorin emirate decides to go with the north in the event of a break up, you people stand alone o. You're probably one of those peeps who think the whole Kwara state is Ilorin emirate. This I know for sure, not an inch of Ifelodun, Isin, Irepodun, Oyun, Offa, Oke-ero and Ekiti LGs will go north. And the Okuns wouldn't have any difficulty. They already share boundaries with their yoruba brothers from Kwara, Ondo and Ekiti. Just some boundary adjustments will land them in the west.

6 Likes

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:42am On Oct 26, 2013
PStylish:

Someone whose father AND MOTHER is Yoruba!
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Nobody: 10:25pm On Oct 26, 2013
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by tpia5: 11:17pm On Oct 26, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

maybe in your own LGA?
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by tpia5: 11:21pm On Oct 26, 2013
PStylish:

Can your state of origin be both Kano and Lagos at the same time?

Father decides!

Dont mind these nl loudmouths.

isnt it interesting the ones with the severest inferiority complex and who spend their lives chasing non-yoruba women, begging them for sex and lord knows what, are the same ones who are the loudest bigots trying to form rubbish?

these same people secretly fraternize with the non-yorubas they say they disdain!
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by macof(m): 12:06am On Oct 27, 2013
tpia@:

Dont mind these nl loudmouths.

isnt it interesting the ones with the severest inferiority complex and who spend their lives chasing non-yoruba women, begging them for sex and lord knows what, are the same ones who are the loudest bigots trying to form rubbish?

these same people secretly fraternize with the non-yorubas they say they disdain!
The person u intending to attack with ur words isn't even Yoruba

And u are nt making sense, ur post has nothing to do with this thread

3 Likes

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:46am On Oct 27, 2013
PStylish:

Can your state of origin be both Kano and Lagos at the same time?

Father decides!

Father decides lineage but not purity.

An offspring of mixed descent is not Yoruba regardless. HE is half-caste.

In all truth, the paternal lineage in tribes was originally implied to denote clan lineage.

However these days, people are applying it even to inter-tribal marriage, which is against tribal norms as was in the past.

If paternal lineage was extended outside tribes, then our tribes would be extinct by now. Our ancestors knew better.

If you are mixed, you are mixed. You are not tribal anymore.

How else do yyou think the whites lost their tribes? Through Intermarriage.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:47am On Oct 27, 2013
macof:

LMFAO!

PAGAN 9JA chasin women after se.x!

bwahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by kola639: 10:05am On Oct 27, 2013
kudos to everyone, ladies n gentlemen who have been commenting positively on this thread. I av been learning from all ur intelligent contributions. i'm pretty sure that thousands of nairalanders including guests too are enjoying the historical perspective n modern developments u guys av been using to treat the topic at hand.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by fluteman: 10:40am On Oct 27, 2013
After a deep reflection, I have come to accept that Ilorin rulership will be difficult and nearly impossible to reclaim by the Yorubas for the following reason;

The Fulanis achieved in Ilorin what the americans have been trying to achieve in all their recent wars i.e Afghanistan, Iraq and I think even in Vietnam, without success........TO WIN THE HEARTS AND MIND OF THE CONQURED TERRITORY.

This is the ultimate success blueprint to conquer a people and the Fulani achieved this with ISLAM. Over time before they finally assassinated Afonja, they gained access to Yoruba land and silently converted so many, enough to share the Fulani aspiration and willing to subjugate their fellow Yorubas. That to me is brilliance.

The Fulani were physically less capable compared with the Yorubas and the only way Ilorin control will/has been sustained is the conquest of the minds of Ilorin Yorubas, assimilate their Language and controlled mixing. Believe me, the Fulanis can still trace their bloodline and are very carefull with the mixing thing.

The only way to change all this is re-orientation of the Ilorin Yorubas, make them realize that Loyalty to their family, their clan and their race is encouraged by Islam, that the emirates as it is structured is a Fulani hegemony ( Islamic only in name, as only a Fulani can aspire to become Ilorin Emir, not who is most knowledgeable)

2 Likes

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Nobody: 3:56pm On Oct 27, 2013
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Nobody: 6:54pm On Oct 27, 2013
PStylish:

Why do we like making life complicated for ourselves?

The last time I checked, there is no ethnic nationality in Nigeria called 'mixed'.

My grandparents were from the same towns, my parents were from the same state, my wife is from the SW.
Can you see the trend?

Is your father a Nigerian? You are a Nigerian.
Is your father Hausa? You are Hausa!

Chikena!!

Dizzope
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:40pm On Oct 27, 2013
PStylish:

The last time I checked, there is no ethnic nationality in Nigeria called 'mixed'.

My grandparents were from the same towns, my parents were from the same state, my wife is from the SW.
Can you see the trend?

Chikena!!

In the past our ancestors never mixed much or at all for that matter.

It is only today with this artificial globalization, and contact with different groups that cut across different fields, has the level of mixing increased.

If this continues, our tribes will go extinct. we must put forth set defined tribal laws immediately.

For an artificial problem, an artificial solution is necessary.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by tpia5: 9:35pm On Oct 27, 2013
macof:

did i say he was?

kindly sit in one corner when grown folks are talking?

some things are above your cognition level!
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by tpia5: 9:42pm On Oct 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Father decides lineage but not purity.

An offspring of mixed descent is not Yoruba regardless. HE is half-caste.

for the record, half caste is half black and half white, indian, chinese, iranian, and so on.

In all truth, the paternal lineage in tribes was originally implied to denote clan lineage.

and?

However these days, people are applying it even to inter-tribal marriage, which is against tribal norms as was in the past.

inter tribal marriage is different from being mixed tribe.

your grouse is with inter tribal marriage (go and preach to those in support of it btw)

If paternal lineage was extended outside tribes, then our tribes would be extinct by now. Our ancestors knew better.

in what way would paternal lineage be extended outside tribes?

you are from whatever tribe your father is, meaning if your father for whatever reason, decides to have kids with a woman from anywhere, the kids are from his tribe unless they dont know who their father is, or they prefer to identify with their mother's place (this is considered a slight of sorts on the father, as in there might be bad blood between the father and mother or the child was born out of wedlock).

If you are mixed, you are mixed. You are not tribal anymore.

sorry to burst your bubble, thats not how it works in nigeria.

maybe in your area thats how you define tribe?

most tribes in nigeria have myths and legends linking them to a region outside the country. Therefore your point is moot.

How else do yyou think the whites lost their tribes? Through Intermarriage.

through globalization and migration. Intermarriage does not lead to loss of tribes unless there is no strong attachment to the culture to begin with, which is what happens with migration.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Nobody: 10:15pm On Oct 27, 2013
^^^^But Desola posted a link to your old post where you asserted that you're not Yoruba. You said you're from Taraba. grin

Anyway, I once had a fling with a Jukun chic while in uni and she's defo a top chic.

I absolutely love Taraba! cool
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Nobody: 10:21pm On Oct 27, 2013
birdman:

I took several swipes actually tongue . but yeah, its a forum and we all are just throwing ideas out there, which is a good thing. I admit I could have been more "diplomatic" grin

I had a back-and-forth with Jarus on this same issue in the past. I will admit I have run into Ilorin Yoruba who are culturally Northern. No offense to Jarus, but in every case you could tell there had been some sort of foreign mind transplant, kind of like black latinos who will rather identify with white latinos against african americans even though they are constantly at the bottom of the ladder.

In any case though, the overwhelming population is Yoruba. If there is any concern about them, it would be that their being muslim makes them tolerate hausa/fulani bullsh*t when they should not. But you could make the same arguments for Yoruba christians and the west.

We cannot build a true nation without a strong moral foundation. If we dismiss our brothers without a fair shot, we introduce the seed of division that will eventually consume us. In a free, fair referendum, Ilorin is solidly southwest.

I think CyberG put it better than I could. Lets not allow political and economic convenience to trump values.

Thanks for the clarification, brother. I respect that.

I like your siggy - Dr. John Henrik Clarke the grandmaster teacher forever!! You honestly don't even know how watching videos of this great man and reading his books changed my life. He was an Encyclopedia of black history and his walk on this planet was definitely a great and mighty walk.

"A people's relationship to their heritage is the same as the relationship of a child to its mother." - John Henrik Clarke
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:40am On Oct 28, 2013
tpia@:

for the record, half caste is half black and half white, indian, chinese, iranian, and so on.

stop mixing race with ethnicity. very illiterate thing to do.

anyone of mixed blood/mixed ethnicity is half-caste.

inter tribal marriage is different from being mixed tribe.

your grouse is with inter tribal marriage (go and preach to those in support of it btw)

You are just arguing for the sake of it.

Inter tribal marriage leads to children of mixed tribe.

in what way would paternal lineage be extended outside tribes?

you are from whatever tribe your father is, meaning if your father for whatever reason, decides to have kids with a woman from anywhere, the kids are from his tribe unless they dont know who their father is, or they prefer to identify with their mother's place (this is considered a slight of sorts on the father, as in there might be bad blood between the father and mother or the child was born out of wedlock).

In the past, this was only applied to clans inside tribes. Therefore todays Ethnic groups have retained their purity, for now.

However when a person is of mixed tribe, that person is not tribal anymore.

Or else are you telling me that todays europeans have tribes as well?

sorry to burst your bubble, thats not how it works in nigeria.

maybe in your area thats how you define tribe?

The Federal Republic of Nigeria has nothing to do with the way of the tribes.

Nigeria is a 60yr old nation whereas our tribes date 1000s of years back.

Just because things are going sh!t it doesnt mean things were always so.

most tribes in nigeria have myths and legends linking them to a region outside the country. Therefore your point is moot.

These myths and legends were mostly propagated by anti-tribal elements (christianity/islam).

All these myths and legends tend to promote an Arab/middle-eastern origin.

Foreign religion is a black spot on tribal policy.

through globalization and migration. Intermarriage does not lead to loss of tribes unless there is no strong attachment to the culture to begin with, which is what happens with migration.

We all know what happened to the europeans and Natives, dont we?

If you have a kid through intertribal marriage, the kid has to balance 2 cultures. Then the kid marries from another tribe and his offspring has to balance 3-4 cultures.

By the 3rd generation, the tribe will be extinct.

So please do not teach me, I've researched all means.

1 Like

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by macof(m): 5:49pm On Oct 29, 2013
PStylish:

Can you see the trend?

Chikena!!

Itsekiri, Ilaje, Ijebu Igala are mixed
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by tpia5: 7:32pm On Oct 31, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Half caste is mixed race ,not mixed tribe. Are you nigerian?

Inter tribal marriage leads to children of mixed tribe.However when a person is of mixed tribe, that person is not tribal anymore.If you have a kid through intertribal marriage, the kid has to balance 2 cultures. Then the kid marries from another tribe and his offspring has to balance 3-4 cultures.
By the 3rd generation, the tribe will be extinct

The products of intertribal marriage are the fathers tribe, dont know why i have to keep explaining this to you, either you're not nigerian or else perhaps your tribe migrated from somewhere and thus dont know much about the country

Even when a couple is from the same tribe, the offspring will still go with the father's lineage, not the mother's, unless the father is unknown.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by tpia5: 8:10pm On Oct 31, 2013
Contd

For those who are 3 or more tribes, the offspring will go with whatever tribe the father identifies with, unless the parents decide to raise the kid differently.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:30pm On Oct 31, 2013
tpia@:

Half caste is mixed race ,not mixed tribe. Are you nigerian?

Please stop bringing race into the discussion.

We are tribals. Your foreign notion of skin colour and other physical features do not matter.

What matters is genetics.

A Fulani person for example, has nothing to do with a Zulu person.

The products of intertribal marriage are the fathers tribe, dont know why i have to keep explaining this to you, either you're not nigerian or else perhaps your tribe migrated from somewhere and thus dont know much about the country

Even when a couple is from the same tribe, the offspring will still go with the father's lineage, not the mother's, unless the father is unknown or on bad on bad terms with the mother.

Do you understand English?

Nigeria is a recently formed Nation. What happens in Nigeria today does not determine the ways of the tribes. It is not like anything good is happening today.

Why do you think intertribal marriage is generally frowned upon?

It is because it pollutes the bloodline. Its an unspoken thing.

Please stop your pointless arguments and go back to my previous post.

PAGAN 9JA:

You are just arguing for the sake of it.

Inter tribal marriage leads to children of mixed tribe.

In the past, this was only applied to clans inside tribes. Therefore todays Ethnic groups have retained their purity, for now.

However when a person is of mixed tribe, that person is not tribal anymore.

Or else are you telling me that todays europeans have tribes as well?

The Federal Republic of Nigeria has nothing to do with the way of the tribes.

Nigeria is a 60yr old nation whereas our tribes date 1000s of years back.

Just because things are going sh!t it doesnt mean things were always so.

These myths and legends were mostly propagated by anti-tribal elements (christianity/islam).

All these myths and legends tend to promote an Arab/middle-eastern origin.

Foreign religion is a black spot on tribal policy.

We all know what happened to the europeans and Natives, dont we?

If you have a kid through intertribal marriage, the kid has to balance 2 cultures. Then the kid marries from another tribe and his offspring has to balance 3-4 cultures.

By the 3rd generation, the tribe will be extinct.

So please do not teach me, I've researched all means.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by tpia5: 12:51am On Nov 01, 2013
let me modify my post since while YOU are just playing and fooling around with the subject matter, it actually is more personal to many.

PAGAN 9JA:

Please stop bringing race into the discussion.

We are tribals. Your foreign notion of skin colour and other physical features do not matter.

What matters is genetics.

A Fulani person for example, has nothing to do with a Zulu person.

did somebody say fulani and zulu are the same?

my posts are in the context of ethnicity, you are simply trying to be sneaky with your intentional misinterpretation of certain terms.

half caste does not apply to mixed tribe because its used in a colour related context, not an ethnic one.

you wont reinvent the wheel dear.

Do you understand English?

Nigeria is a recently formed Nation. What happens in Nigeria today does not determine the ways of the tribes. It is not like anything good is happening today.

do YOU understand english?

when i say nigeria, i'm referring to the ethnicities which make up nigeria, or are you doubting their existence too?

Why do you think intertribal marriage is generally frowned upon?

is it on nl that intertribal marriage is frowned on or where?

not sure i even have time for all this blah you're posting, you need to save your energy for the myriads of pro-inter whatever relationships wey full here, i dont see you addressing any of them?
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:12pm On Nov 01, 2013
tpia@:
let me modify my post since while YOU are just playing and fooling around with the subject matter, it actually is more personal to many.

dude just shut up. you and your dumb feigned arrogance.

so Im playing around and you are the serious one is it? angry

did somebody say fulani and zulu are the same?

my posts are in the context of ethnicity, you are simply trying to be sneaky with your intentional misinterpretation of certain terms.

half caste does not apply to mixed tribe because its used in a colour related context, not an ethnic one.

you wont reinvent the wheel dear.

You are just using the term to suit your own definition. Half caste applies to mixed ethnicity as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-caste

Exactly! ZUlu and FUlani are not the same. so are you saying the offspring of such a union wont be half-caste?

Please go use your common sense!

do YOU understand english?

when i say nigeria, i'm referring to the ethnicities which make up nigeria, or are you doubting their existence too?

The laws of the Ethnicities of Nigeria neither have anything to do with each other, nor are they subject to commonly observed Nigerian law.

Nigeria is an artificial institution formed by colonists, that was never meant to be.

is it on nl that intertribal marriage is frowned on or where?

In Nigeria and all over the world.

not sure i even have time for all this blah you're posting, you need to save your energy for the myriads of pro-inter whatever relationships wey full here, i dont see you addressing any of them?

I have created a whole thread on them incase you noticed. I even conducted a poll on it and the pro-tribals won it.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by mandarin: 2:34pm On Nov 08, 2013
alj harem: lertee is a troll really grin grin

@ Op you are absolutely correct not only about Kwara or even Illorin in particular but also Kogi west/central and delta west.

The truth is that Illorin people are not enlightened about their history and have been brain-washed for years but fulanis. I met someone was called himself/herself fulani and it took me an hour to convince and tell the person why Islam DOES NOT EQUATE TO BEING A FULANI. He/she is Yoruba, speaks yoruba (although halfyorubafulani father and halfyorubafulani mother). A very interesting mix I said to myself. This person is from the ilorin caliphate quite alright but I gave the person history and actually convinced the person why his/her kids are yoruba.

They speak Hausa,Fulani and Yoruba in the house quite fluently but their lifestyle is yoruba. I believe if I can convince such a person then it is possible to educate a minority of them. Although NO ONE SHOULD FORCE ANYONE. IF THEY ARE MORE YORUBA OR MORE FULANI LET THEM BE anything but IGBO is fine by me grin grin grin grin grin grin JK jk jk just let them be wink

note: apologise for not specifying the gender cus the person knows me smiley

There is no reason Yoruba cannot be mix blood with other races! Yoruba that are married to Igbo or many married to Hausa in the north, thos married to Europeans or Hispanic etc are all Yoruba. If Saraki claimed Fulani he was right and if he claimed Yoruba he would be right also because his roots touches both sides.
If a referendum is held today that whole state will vote to be with their kinsmen against all postulations and cunning adverts of many here because blood is thicker than water!
I must state that its not just Ilorin even other areas of Yoruba land have mixed population and places like Pategi ,Mokwa and the Gbagyi tribe in Niger state have cultural similarities with the Yoruba and the country may extend to Igala and even in a federal system it could include the Urhobo.
Have you heard of an adage that sas 'what an elder can see sitting ,a child cannot see it from the top of Iroko tree'
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:42pm On Nov 08, 2013
mandarin:

There is no reason Yoruba cannot be mix blood with other races! Yoruba that are married to Igbo or many married to Hausa in the north, thos married to Europeans or Hispanic etc are all Yoruba. If Saraki claimed Fulani he was right and if he claimed Yoruba he would be right also because his roots touches both sides.
If a referendum is held today that whole state will vote to be with their kinsmen against all postulations and cunning adverts of many here because blood is thicker than water!
I must state that its not just Ilorin even other areas of Yoruba land have mixed population and places like Pategi ,Mokwa and the Gbagyi tribe in Niger state have cultural similarities with the Yoruba and the country may extend to Igala and even in a federal system it could include the Urhobo.
Have you heard of an adage that sas 'what an elder can see sitting ,a child cannot see it from the top of Iroko tree'

If they are married they are Yoruba. but not their children. their children are just mixed.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by akigbemaru: 10:24pm On Nov 28, 2013
I love this!
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by macof(m): 11:54pm On Nov 28, 2013
Thread Dead
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by tarano: 12:13am On Jun 03, 2015
A pragmatic analysis of “Emir,” “Sarki,” “Oba” and “Chief” in Nigerian English

When I reviewed Nigerian social media chitchat in the wake of the death of the Emir of Kano and the appointment of his successor,
I noticed that Hausa-speaking Nigerians almost never use the word “Emir” to refer to the Emir of Kano when they write in Hausa. They use “Sarkin Kano,” sarki being the Hausa word for king. They only use “Emir” when they write in English.
This seems like an obvious, self-evident, banal observation. But it’s not—at least from a pragmatic point of view. (Pragmatics is the branch of linguistics that studies how social contexts affect the meaning of language). To start with, many southern Nigerians invariably associate the term “emir” with Muslim northerners. Many southern Nigerians, in fact, think “emir” is a Hausa word. Yet it isn’t natural for Hausa-speaking northerners to refer to their traditional rulers as “emir” when they converse in Hausa. Saying “emir” while speaking Hausa is generally understood as code-mixing, that is, interspersing a conversation with foreign words.
In other words, “emir” is a foreign word in Hausa. It was introduced to Hausa-speaking Nigerians by British colonizers, which is kind of interesting, even a bit ironic, considering that “emir” is derived from an Arabic word that has historical roots in Islam. As most linguists know, “emir” is the Anglicization of the Arabic “amir,” which literally means “leader” or “commander.”
The successors to the prophet of Islam (called “Caliphs” in Islamic literature) were often called “amir-ul- muminin,” which roughly translates as commander of the faithful (i.e., Muslim faithful). (Interestingly, Hausa people don’t call the most prominent traditional ruler in the Muslim north the Sultan of Sokoto; they call him “Sarkin Musulumi,” which translates as leader of Muslims—obviously a domestication of “amir-ul-muminin”; it’s also more natural for Hausa speakers to say “daular Usmaniyya” than to say “Sokoto Caliphate”).
Well, the linguistic journey of the word “emir” into English was a little tortuous. It was the French who first domesticated “amir” to “émir.» Then the word came to English as a French borrowing. As the reader can see, the English rendering of the world is unaltered from French, except for the dropping of the grave accent on the letter “e.” Etymologists say the first appearance of “emir” in English can be traced to 1593. Another prominent, widely used derivative of “amir” in English is “admiral.” It is derived from the Arabic “amir-ul-bahr,” which translates as “commander of the sea.”
Nonetheless, although “emir” is an English word, it evokes connotations of Hausa-Fulani Muslim overlordship in Nigeria. That is why Yoruba nationalists who want to “reclaim” Ilorin resent the labeling of the traditional ruler of the town as “Emir of Ilorin.” Every so often, Yoruba cultural nationalists spearhead the advocacy for the appointment of an “Oba of Ilorin.”
When I was a reporter for the Weekly Trust in 2000 I was assigned to cover an engineered controversy over the calls for an “Oba of Ilorin.” In the course of my investigation, I spoke with people from all classes of the Ilorin society.
One thing that struck me throughout my stay in Ilorin for the story was that everybody in the town, including members of the ruling family, called their traditional ruler “Oba” when they spoke in Yoruba. “Emir” sounded strange, even forced. Like Hausa people up north, the Ilorin people don’t relate well to the word “emir” unless they are putting on airs or speaking in English.
A particularly insightful encounter for me was an interview I had with an old, uneducated man who identified himself as a descendant of Afonja, the Yoruba founder of Ilorin who lost power to the progenitor of the current ruling family. I asked him if he wanted an “Oba of Ilorin.” He was genuinely befuddled. His response, in Yoruba, was: “what are you talking about? We already have an Oba.” Using the categories that have been popularized by the Nigerian news media, I said, “no, you don’t have an Oba; you have an emir.” His comeback threw me off. He didn’t know what an emir was. “Kilo je be? [what is that?],” he said.
That was when it dawned on me that “emir” is an English word that only western-educated northerners use to refer to their traditional rulers when they speak in English. Just like Hausa speakers call their traditional rulers “sarki,” Ilorin people call theirs “oba.” Every Ilorin person calls the emir’s palace “ile Oba” (which literally translates as “the Oba’s house”). The biggest market in Ilorin, which is close to the emir’s palace, is called “Oja Oba,” which translates as “the market of the Oba.”
So “emir” is rarely used in Ilorin—as in other northern Muslim places—outside official communication and in English-medium conversations. A more appropriate question for the old man should have been “do you want an Oba who is Yoruba rather than this Oba whose ancestors are Fulani?” I actually did rephrase my question like that after realizing that the old man couldn’t relate to the term “emir.”
How about “chief”? In southern Nigeria, a chief isn’t a traditional ruler; he is just someone who has been conferred with a traditional title by a traditional ruler. But Westerners, particularly Americans and Britons, tend to think Nigerians who prefix “Chief” to their names are kings who have dominion over communities. When I lived in the US state of Louisiana about 10 years ago, I read the newspaper profile of a cocky Nigerian resident of a Louisiana city who was described as the “ supreme king in absentia” of three different Nigerian communities because he told his interviewers that he was a “triple high chief,” whatever in the world that means. The editor of the paper was embarrassed when I later told him that a “chief” is merely a traditional title holder in southern Nigeria.
In northern Nigeria, however, “chief” is a politically loaded term and has a completely different meaning. It can mean a non-Muslim traditional ruler of any rank. It can also mean a low-ranked or unranked Muslim ruler in northern Nigeria, usually one whose lineage has no direct link with the Sokoto jihad. Increasingly, Muslim traditional rulers whose status has been elevated prefer to take on the title of “emir” in official documents. For instance, when the recently murdered Emir of Gwoza in Borno State was promoted to a second-class (and later first-class) traditional ruler, his title changed from “Chief of Gwoza” to “Emir of Gwoza.” In northern Nigeria it is offensive to call a Muslim traditional ruler a “chief” if he has been elevated to an “emir.” An acquaintance of mine, who is the son of the traditional ruler of Jere, didn’t take it kindly when I referred to his dad as the “Chief of Jere.” He had recently been elevated to an “emir,” although the people of Jere call him “Sarkin Jere” irrespective of his official designations.
While an “emir” has notional jurisdiction over an “emirate,” a “chief” rules over a “chiefdom.” In my part of Borgu, which is predominantly Muslim with Songhai-descended rulers whose “emirates” predate the Sokoto jihad by more than 100 years, we didn’t get the memo that a “chief” was a somewhat inferior ruler in Muslim northern Nigeria. In my hometown of Okuta, for several years, our traditional ruler was called a “chief” in official communication and his palace was called the “chief’s palace.” Of course, like everywhere else, natives call him “suno,” the Baatonu word for king. When my people became familiar with the pragmatic signification of “chief” in northern Nigerian officialese, they quickly changed the official title of the traditional ruler to “Emir.” The “Chief’s Place” became the “Emir’s palace.”
All this point to the context-dependence of the meanings of the linguistic markers we deploy for everyday communication.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply)

President Jonathan Arriving Lagos Today For A Two-day Visit (Photos) / 6 Governors That Agreed To Hold Convention Without Buhari / Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.