Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,045 members, 7,838,638 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:00 AM

Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State - Politics (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State (38123 Views)

Jarus-sponsored Buhari Jingle For Kwara State / A Thread For Kwara State Citizens And Inhabitants / Tony Tetuila Declares For Kwara State House Of Assembly Seat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Nobody: 10:38am On Oct 23, 2013
honifome: ilorin people are cowards,they could not defeat the fulanis.Their forefathers folded arm and watched the fulani taking over government.They expected yoruba counterparts to pursue the fulanis which is not possible because Afonja had declared independece against oyo.I challenge you,I might be more knowledgeable of your town history than you.
Hear yourself.

Now, get educated>>> Ilorin city was Founded
in the late 18th century by Yoruba people, it
became the capital of a kingdom that was a
vassal state of the Oyo Empire. Oyo’s
commander at Ilorin, Kakanfo (Field Marshal)
Afonja, led a rebellion against Oyo in 1817 that destroyed
the unity of the empire. He was aided by
Mallam Alimi (a Fulani from Sokoto), by Fulani
warriors and slaves, and by Hausa slaves.
Afonja was increasingly dominated by the
Muslim Fulani in number , and was soon assassinated, upon his assassination,
Alimi’s son, Abd as-Salam (Abdul Salami),
became emir of Ilorin and pledged allegiance to the Sokoto caliphate.
So, as u can see, it was an act of betrayal Where the people he called to assist him in fighting his people at Oyo turned to his back and stabbed him after a failure to make in road into Yorubaland. You know nada bout ilorin's history nd it's so annoying when people like u claim to know.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by macof(m): 10:39am On Oct 23, 2013
filebe777: I can't wait for true federalism to happen.All the yorubas coming together as one.from there we invite our brothers in benin and togo and also the carrabean(trinidad and tobago,brazil et al).I see a beautiful nation with no hurdles one ideology reigns.
ODUA NATION
We will write our books,showcase our civilization and tell our stories the way it is rather than telling my kids how mary sclessors stopped the killing of twins in Nigeria(I want my kids to go to school and Read about the greatness of their people that long before mary sclessors.the yourabs stopped killing twins before the white man came (*p.s Read about ondo and ileoluji,why the call each other omo iya kan kan)
This beautiful yoruba stories let me see the greatness of my people rather than a pale skin white lady came to rescue the niggers.
I believe the yorubas will right these stories,make video games of their own heros(imagine playing shango combat on play station! Awesome and priceless.
We will build our skools,roads hospitals,utilise our resources gainfully etc
I'm I saying too much? Well I will finish by saying welcome to my new world
DAMN!!! I can't just live with the IGBOs.
Terrible people...... ERANKO NI WON!!!!
grin
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by macof(m): 10:41am On Oct 23, 2013
El fenómeno:

Bro, kindly stop this your blind nationalism. I'm also Yoruba, a historian. The Fulani did defeat us at Ilorin, they also killed the traitor, Afonja. From Ilorin, they sacked Oyo ile, don't you that the present Oyo isn't the Capital of the Old Oyo Empire? Old Oyo was upper ward when compare to the present one. However, you're right about Ibadan defeating them in 1840 at Oshogbo and the Ibadan forces made a grave mistake by not chasing them out of Ilorin. At that time, if the other Yoruba States had align with Ibadan, Sokoto itself could have been a Yoruba city, I said so because we've had access to European riffles and Canons at that time whereas, the Fulanis were using calvary, swordmen and archers. The insult at Ilorin is the reason why any sane Yorubaman should consider the Hausa/Fulani as our eternal enemies. Tinubu and co, need to learn from history.

Ibadan messed up for not taking back ilorin and even some of their own land
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by macof(m): 10:44am On Oct 23, 2013
EL-AGAIE:
all of u ar tribalistic
U can un-follow the thread
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Nobody: 10:48am On Oct 23, 2013
In 1817, Afonja of Ilorin was the Are-Ona
Kakanfo - the Head of the Army of the Oyo
Empire, under the Alaafin of Oyo - Aole (The
King). That year, Afonja sent an empty
calabash to the Alaafin Aole, thereby
signifying that he no longer acknowledged the
authority of the Alaafin. Aole had no choice
but to accept and in the traditional fashion, he
committed suicide, but not before Alaafin Aole
uttered his famous curse on the Yorubaland
recorded by Samuel Johnson at page 192 of his
"History of the Yorubas", 1921.
From Alaafin's palace forecourt, Aole shot
three arrows, one to the north, one to the
south, and one to the west, saying: "My curse
be on you for your disloyalty and disobedience,
so let your children disobey you. If you send
them on an errand, let them never return to
bring you word again. To all the points I shot
my arrows will you be carried as slaves. My
curse will carry you to the sea and beyond the
seas, slaves will rule over you, and you, their
masters, will become slaves." Then, smashing
an earthenware dish, he shouted, 'Broken
calabash can be mended but not a broken
dish; so let my words be irrevocable."
The curse seemed to take immediate effect
and there had been neither unity nor peace in
Yorubaland from then till today.
The Oyo Empire flourished for over three
hundred years. Professor I.A. Akinjogbin, the
emeritus Professor of History put the situation
as follows: "Up to about 1780, the Oyo Empire
remained at the peak of its military strength.
Its economy was strong, its external trade in
slave export unfortunately expanding, its
industries functioning and its craftsmen
confident and proud of their workmanship.
There were quarrels between the ruling
classes as to who would have a greater share
of this growing wealth; with the successive
Alaafin, apparently on one side, and the
chiefs, led by the various Basorun of the
period, on the other side. Each side attempted
to draw in the ordinary citizens, presenting
itself as their champion but it is doubtful
whether the common people saw any
difference between one group and another. In
any case, the quarrels were always fought
within the constitutionally laid down
procedures - the chiefs would say that the king
had been rejected, and the king would meekly
take his own life after which a new king, from
the same royal family, would be installed.
Some times the Alaafin would use his
prerogative to choose a Basorun, that he
thinks would be more friendly towards him,
only to discover that between one Basorun
and another, there was no difference in their
relationship with the Alaafin. The point being
made is that, in spite of all these events, the
economic conditions within the empire were
good, life was safe, trade routes ran in all
directions, some citizens were indeed noted to
be fabulously rich and some of the
Alaafin embarked on prestige projects."
1793 - 1893 were the darkest years in the
history of Yorubaland. Two things, acc-ording
to Professor Akin-jogbin, happened bet-ween
1816 and 1824, which irrevocably changed the
history and fortunes of the Yorubaland. First,
in 1816, the jihad, which had been raging in
the Hausa Kingdoms since 1804 was extended
to NUPE (Tapa) next door to Yorubaland and
the newly converted Nupe lost no time in
declaring war against the Akoko and Akoko-
Edo in eastern Yorubaland. Second, Afonja in
1817 invited Alimi, the Muslim itinerant
preacher to Ilorin. The Professor put the
sequence of events as follows: "Afonja in 1817
invited Alimi, the Fulani itinerant Muslim
preacher to Ilorin. Alimi was not new in
Yorubaland, for from about 1813, he had been
going round such northern Yoruba large towns
as far as Ikoyi and Ogbomoso. He had lived for
three years in Kuwo, Solagheru's town, and
was intending to settle there when Afonja
heard of him and decided to invite him to
Ilorin. He must therefore be presumed to have
known Yorubaland fairly well and also to have
been conversant with the on-going Fulani
jihad. Afonja was not a Muslim and the
invitation could have been conceived solely as
a means of strengthening his military might
with the charms that the Muslim preacher was
expected to prepare. However, for Solagheru,
who had earlier been invited by Afonja also
from Kuwo and who might have known Alimi
there, Alimi's arrival could be seen as an
important addition to his jama'a at Oke-Suna.
There is indeed a distinct probability that
Solagheru might have influenced Afonja's
invitation of Alimi to Ilorin, although the aim
is not clear."
"A number of discerning citizens clearly saw
the danger in the new scenario, but so afraid
of Afonja were most of them that they did not
dare to tell him. Two persons however took
courage. The first was Fagbohun, the
Commander of the left flank of Afonja's army,
who thereby incurred his wrath and had to flee
to avoid being executed. The second person
was Agborin, Afonja's younger brother, but so
confident was Afonja of his own ability that he
again brushed the warning aside. Frustrated,
Agborin committed suicide."
After dan Fodio was proclaimed Commander
of the Faithful he swore to the
disinterestedness of his intentions, saying: "If
I fight this battle that I may become greater
than my fellow or that my son may become
greater than his son, or that my slave may lord
it over his slave, may the Kabbir (infidel) wipe
us from the land."
There was no imperial army and no central
bureaucracy. Islam was the cement.
Alimi died about 1823. Afonja was Alimi's
benefactor but that did not stop Abdulsalam,
Alimi's successor, from overthrowing and
usurping Afonja's rights. According to
Johnson's History of the Yoruba, Abdulsalam
became the ruler of Ilorin and heir of the
whole of the Igbomina and what is now known
as Oshun (Epo) area which Afonja had kept
under his authority since 1797. Thus those
who had led the rebellion, according to
Professor Akinjoghin, finally lost the
revolution. Abdulsalam sent for a jihadist's
flag from Sokoto which he served as Emir of
Yoruba
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Akanbiedu(m): 11:19am On Oct 23, 2013
This topic is about Kwara but I will comment on Ilorin since both Kwara north and south seem not to be contentious.

The idea that people will choose wherever they want to with doesn’t work. No matter which way one looks at it, such decision rests largely with the elites. If the elites in Ilorin are Fulanis/Yoruba-Fulanis or comfortable with Fulani rule, no external force can influence the decision of Ilorin masses. It is cheap populism to think common people have a say in such decision. That should naturally lead to the next question. Why would Ilorin elites want a change? You have a system you benefit from, why would you want to change that? What will be your position in the new arrangement? Asking Ilorin decision makers to identify with Yoruba is like asking Nigerian elites to divide Nigeria.

Ilorin was conquered by the Fulani so it is commonsense that whoever wants Ilorin back will have to conquer it. The general masses of a conqured territory would have to obey whatever system is put in place to rule them.

I think people need to move on. Since the city was captured, the people have mixed up so much, don’t appear to have problem with the ruling structure, and generally speaking are living together in peace and harmony, then there is no need for arguments about being Yoruba or Fulani. Yoruba or Fulani are not stagnant entities that can not change. Afterall, as Omonnakoda pointed out before, Yorubas at a time saw themselves as Egba, Ijebu, Ekiti. We may just be having a new identity on our hands; Yoruba-Fulani grin grin grin“Nothing spoil”.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by bola4dprec(m): 11:42am On Oct 23, 2013
Akanbi_edu: Ilorin was conquered by the Fulani
so it is commonsense that whoever
wants Ilorin back will have to
conquer it. The general masses of
a conqured territory would have to
obey whatever system is put in
place to rule them.

1 Like

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by mandarin: 12:19pm On Oct 23, 2013
Katsumoto: [b]@ 9jacrip & macof

A few books provide that there were small states within Ife – Oke Ora under Oduduwa, Idena under Oreluere, Itapa and Ideta under Obatala, Ita Yemoo under Yemoo (Obatala’s wife), Igbo Olokun under Olokun (Oduduwa’s wife). It would appear that Oduduwa conquered the other areas because there are separate accounts of revolt against Oreluere and Obatala.

Sources
Culture, Politics and Money Among the Yoruba – Toyin Falola
Ife Before Oduduwa (Isola Olomola) an excerpt found in Professor Akijogbin’s The Cradle of a Race
American, African, and Old European Mythologies – Yves Bonnefoy

See excerpt from Olodumare, God in Yoruba Belief – Bolaji Idowu

‘It is not certain what his original name was, but it could have been Oduduwa ….. We learn from Oral Tradition that when Oduduwa arrived in Ile Ife, there was already a community of aboriginal people under the leadership of Oreluore. The tradition persists that when Oduduwa arrived with his colonizing party, he at first did not pay any respect to Oreluere or recognize his headship. He was haughty and disdainful in his attitude.’

But in the absence of reading those books (It is almost impossible to find that Akinjogbin book today), please see below.

‘While no one could precisely say what motivate ‘ogboni’ cult or confraternity, to come into being in Ife-Oodaye, but postulations in Yoruba mythology, shed light on the pre-Oduduwa era in the IIe-Ife, when ‘Obatala’ and Oreluere were the ruling chieftains of the Aborigine Ife-speaking community. ‘Awo’ ogboni, among so many other ‘Awos’(i.e cults) in Ife then, became so prominent and relevant, more as a pressure group to protest the unceremonious arrival of the great colonial master in history, (i.e.) Oduduwa, just as certian people of today’s Nigeria, first resisted the coming of the British imperialism, so also, the aboriginal Ife people and their particularly leader, Obatala; vehemently resisted the unexpected arrival of Oduduwa and his followers into Ile-ife. But when they could not withstand the might and high political network of Oduduwa, these ancient Ife people, resorted to cover activities, by making use of their ogboni group to determine oduduwa’s authority. And in most cases, against oduduwa’s people themselves, who were not their members. Most of these terrorist acts take place during the life time of Queen MOREMI, an Ofa indigene, married to ORANMIYAN, one of the Ife kings at that time.’

http://oloolutof./ogboni-fraternity-the-oyo-perspective/

So to settle the debate between 9jacrip and macof – there are two accounts which are intertwined.
1. A cosmogonic/mythological one which provides that Olodumare gave the task of creating the world to Obatala but Oduduwa ended up completing the task with Obatala creating man - macof
2. A more realistic historical one in which Oduduwa surreptitiously conquered the Ife area by defeating Obatala (who may have also been Oreluere). This account is strengthened by the abandonment of Ife by the Ugbo (Ilaje/Mahin) but who later resort to guerilla tactics to retake Ife. I believe this ties in with the Moremi legend. It also fits in perfectly with the Itapa festival that is celebrated in Ife. - 9jacrip

Thank you to both of you. I have had to revert to old books for this which has provided some clarity for me. I have often wondered why Agboniregun was in Ife when Oduduwa arrived there. Something else to ponder, according to Akinjogbin and other Yoruba historians, there were at least 93 kings before Oduduwa. This fits in well with my belief that there were several Yoruba groups around at the same time as Ife pre-Oduduwa and why the Ijebu have always maintained that they are not from Ife.

[/b]

Your link is amazing.
I agree with you that Oduduwa met some aborigines at Ife which was already a spiritual centre for the people. The Obatala(which may be a title while Oreluere may be his own personal name )was probably the ruling house being also the name of the founder of the Kingdom ,at Ife which I believe extended to most of the eastern half of the Yoruba country. The word 'Oba' may have had it origin from there which means 'soul' also looking at some nomenclature like Oba-ile, Egbe-Oba, Oko-Oba etc. Also, Agboniregun may have been a priestly position that was both powerful and emits mysticism(please my thinking)all these pre-Oduduwa era.
However, Oduduwa came and set a new era after some hiccups is up for debate but our generation can do justice to that judging by available information of this age. Yes, Oduduwa formed a cult leadership system that all pledged allegiance which does not necessarily meant all those claiming to be his children may be, may be some would also be his cousins or brothers(e.g the Ijebu).
That Oranmiyan also came conquering as a son or grandson was another phase quite different from the Oduduwa era because its traceable to Oyo empire which was the popular Kingdom of the 18th century or so of which fragments the colonialists met in Yoruba land.May be Oranmiyan was another kingdom builder/conqueror like Oduduwa- also debatable.
I also believe the Ugbo (spelled Igbo in the Samuel Johnson history book and in the subsequent Yoruba alphabelt by Crowther where it was said that an alphabet like 'u' could not start a Yoruba word ,thereby consigning lots of ancient words in the Eastern half of the Yoruba nation to the past; words like Ugbo(bush), Ule(house), Usu(yam) Usha/ushashun(pot),Udi(bottom),Ulekun(door), Uwe(book) etc as widely used by sub-ethnic groups of Ijesa, Ekiti, ife, Ondo,Ikale, Itsekiri, Ilaje,Akoko and some Igbomina, Okun etc because these honourable men used their own Oyo dialects in their discourse) were of the Ugbo kingdom of Ikale/Ilaje ,some in Edo and Delta states of today.
I seem to agree with you that they employed guerilla warfare against Ife and the case of Moremi came into the picture.
We can agree that Ife Kingdom of the time would have stretched across all of Yoruba country of today and Edo,some parts of Niger Delta(considering Ijaw version of history) and parts of Benin Republic ,Togo and Ghana including the Igala nation. Ife produced Benin empire one way or the other while Benin produced Onicha-Ado the word ADO is a common word for station across many towns in Yoruba history including the word Edo/Ado in Bini and Ekiti.
Ilorin historically belong to the Yoruba but in case of decision making the town's inhabitants will determine where their stake lies and if the ruling class look up north, the ordinary folks will vote west and that may mark social and psychological revolution no doubt.About the Kogi-west, their loyalty lies in the west absolutely.Don't be surprised that many more groups may fuse with the Yoruba country (just saying) like the Ebira, Igala,and Urhobo and Yoruba kinsmen like Itsekiri and Edo to form an all inclusive Omoluabi country in a federal structure as a country but don't think that will happen in regional arrangements maybe Itsekiri will anyway.
I have said it that I know Yoruba sooo well and their country have the best opportunity of stability and success in case of becoming a new country. Many have taken presence of oil and gas as the main thing but the Yoruba do have these resources and good land to farm, fantastic seaports and an economy that will be above that of any country in west Africa!
I wish the structure will be in a regional arrangement that will include the recognition of Regions as nations so that we can present teams at the world cup(laughs) just like United Kingdom. I think leaders involved in the conference should adapt a United Kingdom style to suit Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by funshint(m): 12:49pm On Oct 23, 2013
Desola:

Thank you ojare, Eyan iyi!
mama ni yen!
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by jahrule: 1:18pm On Oct 23, 2013
And do you think if Nigeria is to be divided, do you think it is going to be base on Geo-political zone artificially created hell no. Everyone would answer his father`s name
Ibrahim mr fish:
So did u hear me say that I'm Hausa?I am Igala and my mother is nupe.I don't have single Hausa in my family.And by the way,we don't have Hausa indegen of kogi.That don't make us less northerns than them.Stop lying to urself,that will not change a thing.U can shout 4m now,to the end of the world.That will not change a thing.Kwara,Kofi,Niger,Nassarawa,Benue,Abuja and Platue are north,believe that.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by mandarin: 1:46pm On Oct 23, 2013
bola4dprec: There are well laid down criteria for creating a state including identifiable geographical area, cultural affinity, geographical contiguity, viability adequate population, linguistic similarity etc. Many of the areas being demanded to be carved as a state do not qualify to be a state with the above criteria in mind. Their demand is shrouded in creating a kingdom for their leaders.

The only geo-political zone that needs an additional state as a matter of necessity and priority is the South East zone of the country which has the least number of states among the six geo-political zones and which is being cheated in everything including revenue allocation, representation in National Assembly, ministerial appointment and other federal appointments.

However if equity and fairness are to be maintained each geo-political zone should have a maximum of seven states to bring the total number of states in the country to 42 to end state creation exercise in the country. This will necessitate the expunging of state creation from the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to end the malady. No one has heard how many new states are being created in USA, India, China, Britain or any other African country. Why should state creation be an endless exercise in Nigeria?

STATE creation will continue as an endless exercise because states were created first by the military and their civilian cronies and was not the agreement of Nigerian populace. The last time Nigerians agreed on their structure was during the Regional structure. States today are avenues for getting more political offices higher population figures and attracting more revenue allocations. How many states can actually stand as federating units in a true federal republic?
The East is not being cheated with analysis, its just that the North is having more than it should have. What do i mean? The three regions granted nationhood as at 1959 :
1. Western Region - Lagos,Oyo,Osun, Ekiti,Ondo,Ogun, Edo and Delta = 8
2. Eastern Region - Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Anambra, Enugu, Imo,Ebonyi, Abia =9
3 Northern Region -Rest 19
The west has one state short of the East. Now the point is that the three regions entered Nigeria as equal partners and even if Kwara+Yoruba Kogi be added as a united state to the old western region it will still be:
Western region - 9
Eastern region-9
Northern Region - 18
what these figures mean are these:
The higher the figure the higher revenue allocations, local government areas,federal civil servants/appointments and location of federal infrastructures etc. So judge for yourself which region has been cheated the most. This means that while the north will have 19 universities and the east 9 the west will have 8 for federal schools.
AS far as am concerned and having to take an intellectual consideration, states creations had divide Nigerians more than anything because its the pillar for the strong central government where people go to share booty and not develop Nigeria.
The truth is I feel the west has been systematically reduced to diminish its political influence and the advent of oil killed the whole thing as Niger Delta became the camel that carries the bulk of the load.
Let Nigeria revert to Regional arrangements that will respect the old order as agreed by our founding fathers and let each region meet to dive themselves as they wish. In other to respect our minorities which I respect and desire earnestly, we can have the middle belt and all non Hausa/Fulani/Kanuri people meet to decide on themselves while referendum can be used to decide on contentious places.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by mandarin: 1:52pm On Oct 23, 2013
JaaizTech: I really do not get what the OP is trying to drive at. Nigeria is indeed a diverse place, just like the rest of the world. States were not created in order to sectionalize tribes, but Nigeria was divided into states for administrative purposes. It really doesn't matter that KWARA is grouped into the Northern part, that is just a question of geographical location and has nothing to do with the people living states. Kwara being located in geographical North doesn't imply the people of Kwara can not be Yorubas!

We need to stop hating ourselves, because all I can see here is a by-product of the dislike south has for North and vice-versa, but let me tell you that even amongst the Yorubas there is in-fighting, Ife-Modakeke clash is still fresh in memory. Issues exist between the different Yoruba tribes, lump them together as one region and this issues will become pronounced.

We should not allow ourselves to be used to sow the seed of discord but the seed of unity; what I would encourage the youths of this Nation to clamour for is rotational Presidency & Governorship. We need a system that gives everyone a sense of belonging. There is ethnic strife within every region: Ijaw Vs Itsekiri; Igbira Vs Igala; Hausa vs Gbagi etc; and the reason for this strife is that the minority groups feel they are being marginalised. A system that ensures every ethnic group has a fair chance of participating at the highest level of Governance is what Nigeria needs now.

I would also advise that people travel around this country, only that way would they appreciate the importance of the unity of this country. We have very little to gain dividing, but a lot to lose.

Discord s part of human socio-economic evolution but conflict management is in itself a course in the University. That there may be trouble is not enough to discourage change. Change itself comes with some sacrifices and pain.Jesus Christ was sacrificed so that salvation can be available to all.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by mandarin: 1:56pm On Oct 23, 2013
El fenómeno:

Bro, kindly stop this your blind nationalism. I'm also Yoruba, a historian. The Fulani did defeat us at Ilorin, they also killed the traitor, Afonja. From Ilorin, they sacked Oyo ile, don't you that the present Oyo isn't the Capital of the Old Oyo Empire? Old Oyo was upper ward when compare to the present one. However, you're right about Ibadan defeating them in 1840 at Oshogbo and the Ibadan forces made a grave mistake by not chasing them out of Ilorin. At that time, if the other Yoruba States had align with Ibadan, Sokoto itself could have been a Yoruba city, I said so because we've had access to European riffles and Canons at that time whereas, the Fulanis were using calvary, swordmen and archers. The insult at Ilorin is the reason why any sane Yorubaman should consider the Hausa/Fulani as our eternal enemies. Tinubu and co, need to learn from history.

i also read the history like you did and not just Yoruba but other African history. The sacking of old Oyo and those advancement of Nupe/Fulani was as a betrayer by Afonja who led them. It was when he wanted to assert his authority that he was killed by his own ally. All the war planned and executed against the Yoruba by the Nupe/Fulani were lost. Check again.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by dakronik(m): 2:38pm On Oct 23, 2013
Kwara State (Ilorin and Kabba Province) was created by the military Government of Col Yakubu Gowon in 1967 as WEST CENTRAL state. Kogi was carved out of the state in 1991 thereby reducing its original size. Geographically Kwara State is located in the WESTERN part of Nigeria. Let's assume we want to locate only four grid on the Nigerian map I. e North, West, South, East. Kwara is the WESTERN part of Nigeria, Abuja is right in the miidle, Taraba/ part of Adamawa EAST, Rivers SOUTH and Katsina NORT. North Central is a multi-ethnic group with 65 percent of the settlers christians. Benue has the highest percentage of christians followed by Plateau then kwara with 44 percent christian population. Ilorin the state capital has more muslim population than christians (55 percent muslims, 41 percent christians and others (4 percent) although ilorin indegienes are majorly muslims (87 percent). The most popular language in kwara is yoruba (even more popular than English as the minority parts (Edu, Lafiagi,Baruteen and Kiamo LG speak "scanty" yoruba)
Kwara is made up of 16 Local Government Areas, the above LGAs are none yorubas (and are the most sparcely populated) while the remaining 12 are yoruba LGAs namely: irepodun (2nd largest LG in Nigeria, ifelodun (largest LG in Nigeria) , Offa, Moro, Oke-Ero, Ekiti, Oyun, ilorin West, ilorin South and Ilorin East local government.
Out of this 12 local government only 2 ilorin W and E have traces of other tribes like nupe, fulani and hausa (who all speak yoruba). This fulani minorities all have yoruba names as their middle name e.g ibrahim Kolapo Zulu Gambari (emir of ilorin) Dele Belgore, Babatunde Belgore etc. I once met a girl who is a grand daughter of the Emir of ilorin. After telling me her 1st name (yoruba name of course I thought I was talking to an oyo or osun girl untill I saw her I D card. I Was confused and this was the conversation that followed:
Me: Thesame 'Zulu-Gambari' ?
girl: YES! She answered.
me: so you are a fulani girl?
girl: Rara oo (nooo, she said)
Me: critically appraise what you mean (I said jokingly but was really intrested in that topic)
girl: em em em m well, I am not fulani but ilorin
Me: is ilorin a tribe?
Girl: technically I am ....(My phone rang and I had to leave her immediately. I haven't seen her since then.
I have always asked this question;
WHY IS KWARA CLASSIFIED as a northern state?
Geographical location? (NO)
Tribe? (NO)
While in school my friends used to make jest of me by calling me "aboki" It saddens my mind but what I usually do was to joke around it. I got really pissed one day and I called two of them (they are both ondo indegines)
Me: we all know the meaning of Oyewale (my name) and Ogundiran (surename) pls tell me the meaning of MIMIKO or AGAGU and I will accept the aboki title
(I saw myself as beign more yoruba than them)
Friends: jokingly they said "go ask them na"..
(they didn't know because those names don't sound like yoruba)
I have read different stories of how Afonja was killed by Alimi and also read about the mistakes made by the colonial government (Richards' Commission). To some extent I can argue that there are more ibos reciding in ilorin than the fulanis but that is a topic for another day. Recently the President set up a committee on the proposed Sovereign National Conference and I think the issue of kwara (ilorin) and yorubas in Kogi should be on the agenda. Why can't we have an Oba (say Afonja or Onilorin) of ilorin? I don't have anything against the Emir because he is a peaceful person and intelligent man too. -the only language he speaks in public is yoruba language, I don't know if he understands hausa/fulani languge but I know most of the fulanis in ilorin dont. Infact you won't know the educated ones among them are fulani untill you are told.
About 3 years ago Governor Babangida Aliyu of Niger state was invited by Muslim Law students in OAU and he was made to believe that there was an unbrella body for Northern Students in the school. He donated N500000 and promised to give more in future. So we were to form an Association for Northern Students in OAU. The association was formed and almost 70 percent of the members were yorubas majorly from kwara with a significant number from Kogi, We were to elect leaders for the association and while the plans to nominate members of the electoral committee was going on, the core Northern Students made a request that the posts of President, VP and Gen Second should be restricted to them alone (ie NW,NE and the core North). They made that request because they felt the chances of having core Northern students hold key posts in the association was very slim (if charisma and population was considered) and they wiould be relegated in the association that was supposed to promote the intrest of the North. It become very obvious they would not allow a Babatunde Samuel (just an e.g) be the President as the association (-I understand there plight) as his identity doesn't depict North in any way so the association was dossolved and I learnt they formed Arewa Student Association not long ago.
....(KWARA students are OUTCASTs here)
Kwara Students have very slim chances of getting scholarships. The state government is definately doing very little in this area (I spent 5 years in Ife and I didn't receive any assistance from the government in form of schorlarship/Bursary. I am not a fan of Saraki/Ahmed so I never expected much/anything from them. -Politically kwara is doomed and only divine intervention can deliver us. I don't belong to any political party but I know for sure that 80 percent PDP's rigging machines are in Kwara (let's not even talk about the Offa LG election). - Jonathan truely won kwara in the last election (They may have rigged for him but kwara people prefered him to Buhari). He (jona) has not impressed me at all as he is misplacing his priorities and very little is beign done to purnish corrupt politicians. "I see a confused man at the helms of affairs of the country even though he has good plans and trueely desired a better Nigeria" HIS GOVERNMENT TOTALLY RELEGATED THE YORUBAS. Back to the last general election in kwara PDP did RIGGED the election as there was no way they could have won in Kwara South. Saraki also rigged kwara central senatorial seat for himself as he would not have defeated Oniyangi of APC in a free and fair election (not my business though).
Governor Ahmed is from my senatorial district. He is 100 percent yoruba and"Aregbesola is not more yoruba than him"
He is by far the MOST POWERLESS GOVERNOR IN NIGERIA'S HISTORY and He himself will atteast to that.
The various scholarships for yoruba students are usually restricted to South Western Students which is very wrong. The Afenifere and other yoruba groups should do something very urgently about this as we(kwara students) are really suffering from this.
I don't know what will be the criteria for selecting delegates to the Soverign National Congress but I know traditional leaders and socio-cultural groups will be part of the delegates.
I love Nigeria and have never for once thought about disintergration but I can never sacrifice yoruba for Nigeria. NEVER I love YORUBA more than I love NIGERIA and love NIGERIA much more than my state (KWARA) because I have never really benefitted any tangible thing from KWARA.
I have the following suggestions which am sure would definately make Nigeria a much better place :
1. Nigeria should scrab either the Senate or House of Reps (we don't need two chambers. There primary assignments are not well done (most of them only wait for alerts from bank after each seating. I can name atleast 40 past and present senators/reps who didn't make up to 10 contributions throughout their 8 years in the senate/HoH. You always see them dozing/sleeping and wakes up when only to say HI and NA even when they don't know what is being discussed. Besides that the cost of maintaining them is too high which is while other sectors like education, aviation, heath, power etc are suffering
2.The present 36 states too needs to go and should be replaced with only 5 regions (North Central should be dissolved)/ this country needs to be regrouped. The grouping should be tribal sensitive as NO PART OF THE MAJOR TRIBES SHOULD BE MINORITIES IN OTHER REGIONS I.e all yorubas should be together including those in kwara and Kogi states. Same thing with other tribes (hausa and fulani should be together as they have very similar culture and tradition and have never really had problems living together)
3. TRUE FEDRALISM. Each of the 5 regions should operate like the 50 states in U.S.A

These will make the local governments independent, empowered and more effective/functional.
.... To be continued....
Clap 4 yaself
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Sloan: 2:43pm On Oct 23, 2013
bola4dprec: Its unfortunate that Nigeria is not a nation rather its just a geographical location, when we are talking about national conference that will lead to national unity someone is lamented on Kwara and Ilorin could you believe that major problem of Nigerian is hypocrisy attitude, going by the record of oyo empire they spread their slavery trade towards Ilorin metro in order to make cash for the superior in the empire is not in the interest of masses whether emir or onilorin that is not an issue all we need now is national unity neither been a Muslim or whatsoever hausa/fulani, yoruba or igbo I blame our leader for not abolish state of origin for state of residence so far the constitution stated it cleared that Nigeria is one nation

Look mister, save your breath! No one wants YOU in the Western Region, you will go wherever you want to GO! However, while no one is stopping you, you WILL NOT stop others from going where they want to go, are we clear? So no need for stress! This is the modern world and if a part of Kwara State wants to go to the northern region (or whatever region it is named), you take a piece of land that falls in that region and stay there while the ones that fall into the south and want to go to the south will also go with their land - this is the fairest and most equitable way to solve the problem. I am VERY confident that before long, after your close neighbours are better off in the Western Region, you will envy them and regret your decision but be sure we will never want betrayers in our midst so forget about joining us through any referendum in future because I will vote a BIG NO! So, take it easy, you can go anywhere you want but you can't stop others too!
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Sloan: 3:01pm On Oct 23, 2013
Akanbi_edu: This topic is about Kwara but I will comment on Ilorin since both Kwara north and south seem not to be contentious.

The idea that people will choose wherever they want to with doesn’t work. No matter which way one looks at it, such decision rests largely with the elites. If the elites in Ilorin are Fulanis/Yoruba-Fulanis or comfortable with Fulani rule, no external force can influence the decision of Ilorin masses. It is cheap populism to think common people have a say in such decision. That should naturally lead to the next question. Why would Ilorin elites want a change? You have a system you benefit from, why would you want to change that? What will be your position in the new arrangement? Asking Ilorin decision makers to identify with Yoruba is like asking Nigerian elites to divide Nigeria.

Ilorin was conquered by the Fulani so it is commonsense that whoever wants Ilorin back will have to conquer it. The general masses of a conqured territory would have to obey whatever system is put in place to rule them.

I think people need to move on. Since the city was captured, the people have mixed up so much, don’t appear to have problem with the ruling structure, and generally speaking are living together in peace and harmony, then there is no need for arguments about being Yoruba or Fulani. Yoruba or Fulani are not stagnant entities that can not change. Afterall, as Omonnakoda pointed out before, Yorubas at a time saw themselves as Egba, Ijebu, Ekiti. We may just be having a new identity on our hands; Yoruba-Fulani grin grin grin“Nothing spoil”.

Your thinking and submission IS CLEARLY WRONG and COMPLETELY FAULTY! The reason you adduced that because the elites want something, THEREFORE everyone want the same thing is what Nigeria is trying to take down with the so called conference and it is one of the cardinal reasons why a conference is needed in the first place. That is WORTH FIGHTING FOR BY ALL NIGERIANS! Anything like ELITISM (ELITES) must be completely removed from your way of thinking. The LARGER problem that Nigeria is trying to solve is the stratification (elitism, big man, privileged, etc) and it is disgusting that you think perpetuating that way of life or thinking is in the interest of anybody! At the national conference, they have said no go areas, so no elitism! What you can do is to talk to people and if they buy you point of view and opinion, good vote along that line. However to come and say if Saraki's stomach has eaten, is full and fattened; then everyone in Ilorin is also full and filled is bull shit! Like the system in the West where all humans are the same, the same road, same swimming pool, same schools, same markets, so is the kind of system we are interested in creating where there is NO BIG MAN! To be a big man, you can do that in your personal house and family but as soon as you step outside your house, you are the same as everyone else!
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by alpontif(m): 3:04pm On Oct 23, 2013
Very Intelligent and informative discussions by the Numerous posters. This is indeed commendable.

Actually, and culturally, there are ways of identifying if some class of people are Yoruba or not.

Yoruba are divided into several dialectical tribes, all under a single Ethnic group.

These dialects are similar, but starkly different, though they are mostly intelligible and understood by most Yoruba s.

In dialectical terms, We have The Oyo dialect(central Yoruba), Egba, Ijebu, Ife, Ijesa, Awori, Ekiti, Ibarapa, Okun, Igbomina dialects. there are also some that I can't recall now, some forms of the dialectical Yoruba are so complicated to the non native ear that an Oyo man might only understand core Yoruba spoken from an Okun man with great difficulty. This does not mean they are not all Yoruba. They are from One Yoruba nation, but different dialectical States. Every Yoruba person must belong to a dialectical group. That is the first mark of the Yoruba.

Another mark that people have forgotten to state is that every Yoruba person comes from an ancestral Compound, that is usually unique to a particular town or region in yorubaland, which cannot be found elsewhere, and if found elsewhere, it is 90 percent certain that it is the same family, This is apart from Normal Chieftaincy familiy names like Akogun, Balogun etc. My family name, Lashigun as an example is found only in Oshogbo and Our ancestral estates in a town called Okinni some kilometers from Oshogbo, That is the Only family with that name in Yorubaland. It is a very excellent ,method of tracing origins and identifying geneologies. That is mark 2.

Mark 3 is the fact that every Yoruba indigene has a family Oriki, Cognomen which describes who they are, what they are, what they are known for...right from their ancestors.

Mark 4 is the fact that Yoruba also belong to ancestral classes, or Irans......Thus we have the Ikoyis, ( ikoyi echo, omo adiile dogun, omo agbojo Ogun besoara), The olofas, etc.that depict what their ancestors were known for......

These are the four basic criterias to know if someone is Yoruba, or not.

Applying these to the Ilorins, and your conclusions are as good as mine.

2 Likes

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Katsumoto: 3:09pm On Oct 23, 2013
Akanbi_edu: This topic is about Kwara but I will comment on Ilorin since both Kwara north and south seem not to be contentious.

It is time for Nigerians to move into the 21st century. Why should any bloody elite determine the fates of so many?
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by OrlandoOwoh(m): 3:11pm On Oct 23, 2013
Femolacaster:
Can u shed light on how Awo fought for it with regret? From all your posts, i could deduce that you are "fulani-ilorin", you are just been sentimental and u are defending your own clan.
Awolowo fought for it during the Macpherson Constitutional Conference but never regreted.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 23, 2013
Like a popular yoruba saying " ki oko re okun, ki oko re osa afi abo fun elebute" kwara will always remain a YORUBA community and nothing is ever going to change that.
I feel the op, it's really sad when people are choked in their own land.
Honestly I do not buy the emir being a Yoruba because he bears a yoruba name ,his interest lies with the north.
If they can decide for themselves, the kwara yorubas will never go with the north but i fear the elites won't let this happen because of their political ambition. It would have been a little better if the present governor can stand up for himself but like someone mentioned earlier he is by far the powerless governor in nigeria today! sad sad

ps; those that came to this thread to rubbish it or make fun of the yorubas, i say thanks alot! I'M SO PROUD TO BE A YORUBA AND WOULD CHOOSE IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN, UNLIKE YOU WOULD DO NOT EVEN KNOW YOUR HISTORY/ WHERE YOU CAME FROM.
THE YORUBAS HAVE WELL DOCUMENTED HISTORY AND STRONG ROOTS,!!!

3 Likes

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by OrlandoOwoh(m): 3:32pm On Oct 23, 2013
Yoruba are rich in history. As I read this, the Yoruba man in me prides in our rich cultural heritage.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by hercules07: 3:42pm On Oct 23, 2013
I can not get my head around the fact that an Ilorin man will want to go with the north, he is going to be politically dead and will be marginalised for ever, shebi Ilorin people are even running an emirate, an Offa man has an Oba and should not be thinking of any north, as it is, Offa is marginalised by Ilorin, why would you want to continue in the same vein.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by honifome(m): 3:46pm On Oct 23, 2013
silent don:
Hear yourself.

So, as u can see, it was an act of betrayal Where the people he called to assist him in fighting his people at Oyo turned to his back and stabbed him after a failure to make in road into Yorubaland. You know nada bout ilorin's history nd it's so annoying when people like u claim to know.
aftermath of fulani takeover,why can't you launch retaliatory attacks against them if truly you are not cowards.I learnt that yoruba used firearms,spears and swords for armoury while fulanis used spears and swords alone during the conquest
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by honifome(m): 3:51pm On Oct 23, 2013
silent don:
Hear yourself.

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by hercules07: 3:58pm On Oct 23, 2013
honifome: aftermath of fulani takeover,why can't you launch retaliatory attacks against them if truly you are not cowards.I learnt that yoruba used firearms,spears and swords for armoury while fulanis used spears and swords alone during the conquest

You learned wrong, most of the Ilorin Generals were Yorubas, infact, when Ibadans captured the Hausas and Fulanis, they let their leaders go but the Yorubas were executed, go and read more.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by honifome(m): 4:04pm On Oct 23, 2013
hercules07:

You learned wrong, most of the Ilorin Generals were Yorubas, infact, when Ibadans captured the Hausas and Fulanis, they let their leaders go but the Yorubas were executed, go and read more.
you see, yoruba generals killing yoruba while ilorin is being ransacked by united fulanis.is that not an act of cowardice SHAME!!!!
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by TonySpike: 4:14pm On Oct 23, 2013
honifome: you see, yoruba generals killing yoruba while ilorin is being ransacked by united fulanis.is that not an act of cowardice SHAME!!!!

The Ilorin generals of Yoruba extract must have been beheaded because of their treachery towards their brothers. However, I still don't know why the Fulani generals were left alive.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Katsumoto: 4:20pm On Oct 23, 2013
honifome: you see, yoruba generals killing yoruba while ilorin is being ransacked by united fulanis.is that not an act of cowardice SHAME!!!!

Dude,

Stop sounding so ignorant. If you don't have the knowledge, find a book to read and stop making an ar.se of yourself.

The decision to free or kill captives was always based on the particular circumstances. The captured Yoruba generals were killed because they were fighting against the Yoruba.

After the Ijaiye war, Ogunmola took as slaves mercenaries who fought for the Ijaiye, some of them were caucasians.

And the only reason Ibadan never too Ilorin back was because they became obsessed with trying to subdue the Egba and Ijebu. If they didn't have to worry about the Egba over running Ibadan, they would have taken Ilorin too easily.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by honifome(m): 4:22pm On Oct 23, 2013
Tony Spike:

The Ilorin generals of Yoruba extract must have been beheaded because of their treachery towards their brothers. However, I still don't know why the Fulani generals were left alive.
that's not true.The fall of ilorin to Fulani is as a result of disunity within.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by hercules07: 4:23pm On Oct 23, 2013
Tony Spike:

There was an unwritten rule about such things, the Yorubas believed a General had been humiliated enough once he is defeated in war, also, they used such gestures as goodwill towards the enemy, in return, if the enemy captures the children or wives of the Yoruba Generals, he is expected to reciprocate. Ogunmola was reproached for killing the children of Kurunmi despite the fact that Kurunmi himself was marked for death (Abacha had nothing on Ogunmola, though, Ogunmola only terrorised the elites). The Yoruba Generals were considered as traitors and summarily executed.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Katsumoto: 4:23pm On Oct 23, 2013
Tony Spike:

It was always based on circumstance, after the badan put down the Ijesha uprising, most of the Ijesha captives were killed. Even Ogedemgbe Agbogungboro was almost executed until he was saved by Latosa at the final minute.

Its like in modern warfare, your life is dependent on the temperament of your captor.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Akanbiedu(m): 4:25pm On Oct 23, 2013
My position was not about appropriateness of elites deciding on behalf of the people but rather to state what would be the case. When Afonja decided to rebel against the empire, I don’t believe he consulted Ilorin masses at that time. Recently, the fate of Bakassi people was decided with little or no input from them. Matters that has to do with territories are not masses decision I am sorry to say. We may not like the idea but that is the way of the world. This is not even a Nigerian thing. So my elites’ argument stands

If the Yoruba nation thinks it can get Ilorin by merely asking people where they want to belong, I am afraid it, Yoruba should forget it. Even masses opinion in this matter can be manipulated along sentimental lines, especially religion. For instance, Yorubas tend to underestimate the influence of Islam on Ilorin people. I can categorically tell you that the Islam bond is a very strong bond. It is the major reason many Ilorins are not bothered about who ruled what. Islam is the strenght of northern people. There are so many ethnic groups in the north but you don’t get hear about their differences because of Islam factor. So the argument that people will decide may not be as rosy as people think. You guys probably are not aware that some Ilorin indegenes refer to other Yorubas as “keferi” pagan.

On both counts -elites and masses- it doesn’t look good. The best bet is to declare war on the throne and win. People don’t give land by popular opinion.

Katsumoto:

It is time for Nigerians to move into the 21st century. Why should any bloody elite determine the fates of so many?

Sloan:

Your thinking and submission IS CLEARLY WRONG and COMPLETELY FAULTY! The reason you adduced that because the elites want something, THEREFORE everyone want the same thing is what Nigeria is trying to take down with the so called conference and it is one of the cardinal reasons why a conference is needed in the first place. That is WORTH FIGHTING FOR BY ALL NIGERIANS! Anything like ELITISM (ELITES) must be completely removed from your way of thinking. The LARGER problem that Nigeria is trying to solve is the stratification (elitism, big man, privileged, etc) and it is disgusting that you think perpetuating that way of life or thinking is in the interest of anybody! At the national conference, they have said no go areas, so no elitism! What you can do is to talk to people and if they buy you point of view and opinion, good vote along that line. However to come and say if Saraki's stomach has eaten, is full and fattened; then everyone in Ilorin is also full and filled is bull shit! Like the system in the West where all humans are the same, the same road, same swimming pool, same schools, same markets, so is the kind of system we are interested in creating where there is NO BIG MAN! To be a big man, you can do that in your personal house and family but as soon as you step outside your house, you are the same as everyone else!

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply)

#endsars Protests: Lagos Will Need N1trn For Reconstruction — Gbajabiamila / U.S. Predicts Challenge In Protecting Nigerian Citizens By The New Govt In Abuja / 2019: Atiku Declares Presidential Bid, Tackles Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 174
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.