Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,109 members, 7,814,893 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! - Literature (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! (109757 Views)

Memorable Stories From English Secondary School Textbooks!!!! / Sad Stories From A Depressed Writer / Dele Momodu’s Photo Album And Other Stories From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Edibaby: 10:57am On Oct 22, 2013
herkeym001: Shey una don remember well well
kaiii...dis brings fresh memories o
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by cahnellven: 2:09pm On Oct 22, 2013
Twinmama:
Ireke onibudo, Ogboju ode ninu igbo irunmole(my favourite Akara oogun) Orangodoganyin, igbo olodumare

u FOrgot aditu olodumare and irinkerodo ninu igbo elegbeje. Ireke onibudo(sugarcane of the guardian) remains my favourite while ogboju ode ninu igbo irunmole(the forest of a thousand demons) is simply timeless

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by KBARBIE(f): 6:25pm On Oct 22, 2013
who can remember the nursery rhyme old roger.

1 Like

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by XavierSmiley: 9:33pm On Oct 22, 2013
KBARBIE: who can remember the nursery rhyme old roger.

The part ¶ loved was the sharp old woman who gave Old Roger the knock

1 Like

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by XavierSmiley: 9:43pm On Oct 22, 2013
Who remembers these poems..

¶ am a little tea cup

There are two little black birds sitting on the wall (Now turned P.Square grin)

Pussycat pussycat

Motor car motor car

Down by the riverside the green grass grows grin

2 Likes

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Ndipe(m): 12:09am On Oct 23, 2013
XavierSmiley:

The part ¶ loved was the sharp old woman who gave Old Roger the knock

It's the other way round.

1 Like

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by write2obi(m): 9:49am On Oct 23, 2013
There are 2 black bed sitting on the wall, nwannem peter, nwannem paul grin grin grin

Sandlilili sandalili, sandalilili sandalili, sandalilili sandalili grin grin grin

The day is bright, is bright and fair, a happy day, the day of joy, the day is bright is bright and fair, a happy day of joy gringringrin

1 Like

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by brat4222(m): 11:41am On Oct 23, 2013
Down by the River side, the green grass grow
there sits Nene, washing her clothes,
She sings, She sings, she sings so well,
bla bla bla............

The Ugly Vulture
The Ugly vulture flaps and hops, pecks at craps and walks and stops,
flys to a tree and look around fro something horrible on the ground

It likes dead things and pecks them clean
He,s hurribly ugly , dull and mean
Humpty shoulders, old bald head
likes me better if i were dead.

bla bla bla, bla bla bla -----------from Pry 6 reader

good old days.

1 Like

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by hibty(f): 8:08pm On Oct 23, 2013
;DMoji and d malaria. D king's new clothes. Edidem eyanba and d ekidainkong soup..pardon ma spelling
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by babyBB: 11:05am On Oct 24, 2013
write2obi: There are 2 black bed sitting on the wall, nwannem peter, nwannem paul grin grin grin

Sandlilili sandalili, sandalilili sandalili, sandalilili sandalili grin grin grin

The day is bright, is bright and fair, a happy day, the day of joy, the day is bright is bright and fair, a happy day of joy gringringrin
its standard living, standard living, not standalili standalili

1 Like

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Nobody: 5:17pm On Oct 24, 2013
babyBB: its standard living, standard living, not standalili standalili
you didnt correct the nnwanem peter and nnwanem paul....he/she wrote it the way kids back then do sing it.

1 Like

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Nobody: 3:57pm On Oct 25, 2013
like seriously? Its standard living not sandalili?
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by write2obi(m): 6:06pm On Oct 25, 2013
babyBB: its standard living, standard living, not standalili standalili
Teacher nwa njoku, did you know it was standard living when you where in primary school? Oversabiness na im they worry you
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by write2obi(m): 6:08pm On Oct 25, 2013
Ivyluvie2: you didnt correct the nnwanem peter and nnwanem paul....he/she wrote it the way kids back then do sing it.
she obviously wants to be noticed
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Nobody: 6:53pm On Oct 25, 2013
Yes about the gandoki story, there's a part where he entered a room & saw a beautiful woman whose neck was like the moon or so...can't really remember.

Who can remember 'come and buy my rice, come & buy my beans, come & buy some tins of milk, the market woman begs...

Theres also a story of a fat & thin man being chased by a pig. The fat one feigned death & the other climbed up a tree.

Theres also one of a girl who met an old man by a stream & he begged her for water. This particular one scared daylight out of me then.

I can go on & on. Those times were so pleasurable. I miss my childhood.

1 Like

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Tunnelight(m): 10:49am On Nov 19, 2014
Ghandoki was a great war chief who lived in northern Nigeria. He loved fighting. Whenever there was trouble, Ghandoki was there. Whenever there was a vitory feast, he was there. Ghandoki was also a great story teller. He often gathered a group of boys around him and told them the stories of the battles he had fought......................"oh Gandoki" cried one of the boys "can nothing kill you?" How did you manage to stay alive through all these adventure?'

Then Ghandoki rose to his feet and sang his praise song. I am the great Gahndoki. How can I die. My most powerful charms keep me safe from all danger..................................................Fun memories.....This was really my favourite.
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by iamrealdeji(m): 3:13pm On Dec 09, 2014
Ninilowo:
The New Oxford English Course Books 5 & 6 about the Bakos that travelled round Nigeria. The two children Biola And Alade...
The passport of mallam Illia
Samankwe in the strange forest
Alli and The Angel
The adventures of Moni Manbu
etc......etc.....etc.....
Samankwe the truant,omo buruku
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Ikformula: 9:17pm On Dec 19, 2014
Please, if anyone here can help me get as many of this books as possible, even if it's snapped pdf or images, I'll be so glad!
Gladder than that goat that jumped out of hut through an open window and climbed a green mountain
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Ndipe(m): 12:31am On Dec 21, 2014
A very funny one. An old man from the village to a big town. He would see buildings and ask strangers, "Who owns this?" And the reply was always, "I dont know." He would see another building and ask a stranger, "who owns this?" And the reply would be, "I dont know." And so on and so forth, the answer was always, "I dont know" Be it building or something else. One day, there was a funeral in that town and he turned to ask another person who had died. And person's response was "I dont know."

So, the man returned home saying, "I dont know" who owned the building in town and all that is finally dead.

I don forget the name of the book that I read it but it's true. Very funny story.
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Nobody: 10:57am On Dec 21, 2014
mr sada is a farmer,he lives in sapele,he has a big farm,he grows yam,cassava crops and groundnut,can u see his oranges and pineapple,mr sada work hard,on sunday he does not work he goes to church,,can u see d church in d picture?
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by mrklock(m): 10:08am On Jan 11, 2015
zeongeon:
Who still remembers KONKI
I do, do you pictures for me?
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by alabsmichael(m): 10:09am On Feb 25, 2015
Hi i read and i remember them all.Mr and Mrs Bako,Alade and Biola,Ali and the angel,David and Mary,Abdul and his tea without sugar who tried to decieve the king,Ali and simbi Edet,Agbo,Emeka wakama kunle bola and Rose Obi and nneka,Rufus,Audu,titi,sarah,eze,etim,amedu and okopi ,osaro and the volunteer,i remember them all
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Bodiesel(m): 6:28pm On Feb 27, 2015
Don't get me started on the Fagunwa series, I loved all his books, I think they deserve a thread of their own "Memorable stories from your Yoruba primary books"

Remember how we used to make up alternate stories to sing along to picture pages in books? I remember this song in particular, though I've forgotten from which book:

Ade n gun keke
Ade n gun keke re lo ju titi
Iya eleyin joko
Iya eleyin joko le o mi ronu
Ade subu lu'ya eleyin, Iya eleyin so pe
Ah, you've broken them!!

Who remembers which book that was from??
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Opracus(f): 8:44pm On Feb 27, 2015
cahnellven:

u FOrgot aditu olodumare and irinkerodo ninu igbo elegbeje. Ireke onibudo(sugarcane of the guardian) remains my favourite while ogboju ode ninu igbo irunmole(the forest of a thousand demons) is simply timeless
. Omugodimeji ,awondiwura ,omugoparapo cnt just 4get dis story,still reading it now
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Babe2sure(f): 9:47am On Mar 04, 2015
I love;
Owie the flute player most- No man is indispensable.
Agbo live in a town of lagun
Lola and Ngozi stories
Gandoki story

Other timeless books like:
Ade our naughty little brother
Without a silver spoon
Chike and the river
Koku Baboni
The boy slave
The sugar girl
The drummer boy etc

Memories last forever! smiley
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by sethken: 10:43am On Mar 14, 2015
Who will forget: Holiday! Holiday! Holiday! Holiday come and let us go, everybody likes holiday! Oh holiday! come and let us go. I attended Army Primary School, Ikot Ansa, Calabar. At the end of the stanza, we will all shout Oh mboridem come and let us go. I believe mboridem means holidays in Calabar. I have forgotten my Efik....lol

What about: the day is bright, is bright and fair, oh happy day, the day of joy!

When the saints are matching on, when the saints are matching on, so I want to be in the numbers, when the saints are matching on!
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by vanhelsing2099(m): 7:33pm On Mar 14, 2015
Bodiesel:
Don't get me started on the Fagunwa series, I loved all his books, I think they deserve a thread of their own "Memorable stories from your Yoruba primary books"

Remember how we used to make up alternate stories to sing along to picture pages in books? I remember this song in particular, though I've forgotten from which book:

Ade n gun keke
Ade n gun keke re lo ju titi
Iya eleyin joko
Iya eleyin joko le o mi ronu
Ade subu lu'ya eleyin, Iya eleyin so pe
Ah, you've broken them!!

Who remembers which book that was from??

I dnt usually comment but when I du.....

Awkward m0ment you turn d picture int0 music

Baba segun wa train, iya segun ta rice
Segun ta kolo, aja meji sun si ile
Awon meta t0r0 bara... (Pry3)

M0t0r jam p0lice,p0lice jam mama
Akara mama tr0w away, everyb0dy s0n 0w0 ,baba r0p0t0 sal0 (pry3) macmillian
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by vanhelsing2099(m): 7:42pm On Mar 14, 2015
Ikformula:
Please, if anyone here can help me get as many of this books as possible, even if it's snapped pdf or images, I'll be so glad!
Gladder than that goat that jumped out of hut through an open window and climbed a green mountain

Mr alabi stubb0rn g0at I think...
Hyena/w0lve finish the g0at life
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Babskay147: 10:12pm On Sep 07, 2015
@folafola, you really pass English wellar. You guys took me back 20 years. Especially the old man and his goats. BTW folafola, "angazi" means "I don't know". Its a Zulu word. I live in South Africa now.
Who remembers this one... "one day a boy caught a dove and the dove said, don't kill me and I shall tell you three things that will make you rich....." I could go on and on. lol.
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Mhudi: 4:08pm On Jun 07, 2016
Babskay147:
@folafola, you really pass English wellar. You guys took me back 20 years. Especially the old man and his goats. BTW folafola, "angazi" means "I don't know". Its a Zulu word. I live in South Africa now.
Who remembers this one... "one day a boy caught a dove and the dove said, don't kill me and I shall tell you three things that will make you rich....." I could go on and on. lol.
THE BOY AND THE DOVE
One day, a boy caught a dove, when it was in his hand, the dove said, "please, don't kill me, let me tell you four things that will make you rich." "What are they?" Asked the boy, "this is the first thing: alway keep what you have got." The boy said, "I shall do that, I shan't forget."
The boy was foolished, he did not listen to the dove's advice. The first of four advices say, "always keep what you have got." But the boy foolishly allowed the dove to go and mocked him at the end that inside his body there was a piece of gold. Please, where can I get all NOEC books from primary 1 to 6. I can't forget the bakos traveling round the country, nor can I forget stories from the NOEC's like Karanda and Kirindi, Why the Lizard nod his head, Ali and the Angel's Coat, Mr Giwa is a shop keeper, he has a shop in lawal's village, Sule trouble, Jerom the boat man, Tea without sugar, etc.
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by cooluc(f): 3:06pm On Jun 08, 2016
Rapmoney:
Does anyone still remember Mr. Nwosu who has four sons and two daughters? He came home during Xmas with chickens. That is pry 2. Mr. Salami is the father of Ali and Simbi.

Lol I love that story..memorised it then!!!

1 Like

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Indrani(f): 4:18pm On Jun 10, 2016
Confusion:
Please i cant remember which class was this but i still sing it sometimes

Old roger is dead and gone to his grave
ho ha gone to his grave
they planted a mango tree over his head
ho ha over his head
mango tree grew ride and fell on the ground
ho ha fell on the ground
an old woman came by to pick them all up
ho ha pick them all up
old roger woke up and gave her a knock
ho ha gave her a knock

i hope i got it
how time fliessssssss

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Secrets Of the gods / Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) / A Male Child Is More Beneficial Than A Female Child In Nigeria(see Why)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.