Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,210 members, 7,825,786 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:26 PM

I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? (18282 Views)

See What Most Nigeria Do On Saturday Night Before Going To Church On Sunday / If You Were Asked To Preach In Your Church, What Will Be Your Message? / Do You Like Going To Church Early? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by ifeT(m): 5:46pm On Jul 09, 2008
attend a service in Daystar , and church will hungry u
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Gamine(f): 5:48pm On Jul 09, 2008
Exactly which Devil?

Please dont use this thread as Advertisement for your churches

First Latter Rain now DayStar

next it will be Latter Days

and Rain of stars bible church

Abeg o!
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by kambo(m): 5:52pm On Jul 09, 2008
you don't FEEL like going to church. if you didnt FEEL like going to work ,would that stop you from going to WORK? (if your employer paid you by the day,u'd miss some pay)
. maybe God has a reward for those who WENT church even when they didnt FEEL LIKE.
peter cast his net the way Jesus told him even when he,peter didnt feel like.
pastor's will get boring over time, i wonder why most churches have one man preaching at all services,well,that's the church's problem.
The church is Christ's body,if you a part of the body stay away,no wonder the body doesnt get better worst of all you stand at a distance ,probably as a little toe, depriving the foot of your service while you tell all who come along how the body 'stinks'.
it's no problem. we got lots of church goers who don't know God.its a problem.
read ur bible.at least try to do so every day maybe u'll see something some view point you
never had in church.
i aint perfect.far from it.but i see,modern church and the bible are (or seem to go in two different ways) two different things thats why society rarely feels the impact of the 'church'.
if its not 'prosperity ' today. its 'breakthrough ' the next day. and yet, those loud mouthed pastors , depend on a salary!!.
what if the salary were withdrawn then they'd have to practice what they preach!
and not just feed the congregation with theory.
God forgive me if i'm over vibing but hey that they way its seeming.
there are some true ones anyway.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Sholeyb: 6:06pm On Jul 09, 2008
Gamine- why don't you feel like going to church? tell us maybe someone can give you useful and wise advice. to resolve an issue, you need to identify the problem and the source.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by ekong0514(m): 6:18pm On Jul 09, 2008
I Luv this post cos It affects me,
I'v bin In Church 4 well Over 2/3 of my Life, I really Like 1 thing I noticed in all U posts
which Is The acceptance, respect and Understanding of the existence Of the Almighty,
Gurlfriend I aint bin In Church 4 A Loooooooong time, It doesn't make me Unworthy Of Heaven
or incapable of Increasing the kingdom (soul winning, )

There's Much 2 d post dat could have chapters If carefully Trashed by A Pro,

There is Nothing wrong with staying absent from church.

"No be everybody wen go church, De worthy Of the Kingdom, &
No be everybody wen de outside church de worthy of Condemnation."
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Gamine(f): 6:22pm On Jul 09, 2008
@Sholeyb
i dont have reasons but they could take this form
One, the church im a member of is really far away.
Two, the church i have to attend now, i dont do anything
i just go to church , praise, pray and listen
then im back home.
Three, it dosnt get to me, its like ive heard everything they already have to say.

i just dont know.maybe i was just being lazy at the time.
Now some prophets/prophetess on the thread are talking Demon-possession.

@Kambo,
i get you
i get you!
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by odare24(m): 7:03pm On Jul 09, 2008
I fully understand your predicament 'because i ve been there. I used to follow my father to my church (i call it my church because my family changed their church just because of me-few days i was born. That is a story for another day) so i used to follow my father until i was bored and I left them all in my church (what a world!!!). I left them because i was getting bored. A year after that I found another Church, The Redeemed Christian Church of God. Meen, life was in my newly found church. One day the pastor asked me what i want to do in the Church and I look straight in his eyes and said - I want to be a Pastor.

My vision and personal prayer for all that come into the church is that, they will see Christ. The Bible said I was glad when they said to me let's go to the house of God.

Let me therefore ask you a question: Would you go to Iraq for Sunday service if you know that God will be there, physically waiting for you? or will you sit in your sitting room watching TV (i'm not saying you prefer this to going to Church).

Church is God's house of prayer. Jesus said my house shall be called the House of Prayer literally meaning that Church is a place where you can talk to God and God will talk to you.

REMEDY: Before attending that next service go on your kneel and say "Father, I'm going to your house now, please let me see you"

BELIEVE ME YOU WILL SEE HIM AND YOU WILL ALWAYS LOVE GOING TO CHURCH!!!

I'm odare
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Sholeyb: 7:10pm On Jul 09, 2008
Gamine-We’ll try and deal with each one

One, the church I’m a member of is really far away

The bible says that those that are led by the spirit of God are called the sons of God (Romans 8:14). Did God lead you to this church or did you just go because it is a popular church or someone invited you or you just found yourself there? If not, now is the time to ask God to lead you to a church that will be spirit led. If a church is led by the spirit of God, then you will surely be blessed there.

Two, the church I have to attend now, I don't do anything I just go to church, praise, pray and listen then I’m back home.

Eph 4:11-16 says- It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.

Ask God to direct you to a department to join, I believe that once you do so, you will start to become more excited about going. You know that if you are involved in building your house ( employing the architect, builders, carpenters, buying the materials and over seeing the works etc), it’s different to buying a house that is already built. With a project you can impart your ideas into it, but with an already built house, there is very little you can change. Joining a department may be an opportunity to impart your ideas and knowledge of the Word of God into the church and into the life of others.

I know someone who goes to Prisons to witness to people and when they are released, they follow him to church and he follows them up. This makes it impossible for him not to attend church.

Three, it doesn’t get to me; it’s like I’ve heard everything they already have to say.

There may be something that has recently happened to you that may be making it difficult to receive the word of God, remember I told you that I was bitter and unforgiving at a point. My sister, unforgiveness (which is a sin) can block your spiritual senses.
It may also be that you need to go to a higher level of walk with God and your Pastor’s preaching may not do it anymore. You need to ask God, what shall I do?
Isaiah 44: 18 says ‘they know nothing, they understand nothing; their eyes are plastered over so they cannot see, and their minds closed so they cannot understand’.
I Cor 2:14 ‘The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned’. It may be that you are battling with questions in your mind that make you question what your pastor is saying. There are a host of reasons I can think of, but ask for God’s wisdom. James 1: 5 says If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

Please understand that I am not saying that you are spirtually dead or foolish, I am merely stating that it MAY be a reason.

I just don't know maybe I was just being lazy at the time.

I believe that you have identified something here, if you feel you are being lazy, (a) Pray for the strength of God I Peter 4:11 says If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.
Also find a true Christian who attends the same church, who will call you to remind you of church (my very good friend and  my family do this to me) they are all Christians. This has helped me a lot. At times, she would even call me in the middle of the night to remind me to pray.

Now some prophets/prophetess on the thread are talking Demon-possession.

Ignore such comments the bible says ‘looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith’ Hebrews 12:2. DO NOT FORGET THAT CHRIST IS YOUR JUDGE AND NO ONE ELSE.

Lastly guess what ‘You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you’ Phil 4:13.

God bless
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by TEEZERO(m): 7:26pm On Jul 09, 2008
So, what are you going to do now?
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by elampiro(m): 7:35pm On Jul 09, 2008
'When the Son of man retuirns, will there still be faith on earth'?[color=#990000][/color][b][/b]
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by brainwave(m): 7:46pm On Jul 09, 2008
@Gamine, I think most christians have been there (i.e what u're experiencing) at one time or the other or are still there now, I think u should just sincerely say a simple prayer to God that HE should help u discover HIM afresh and lead u to where HE wants u to be (church & other areas of ur life), in short like asking God to show u HIS will/purpose for your life, if u get this, I tell u church will fit in itself in place (u know like a jigsaw puzzle) and I think in a short while u'l testify that ur experience has changed positively, u know like fresh encounter with GOD. So tell it to HIM in prayers, nothing long, just a sicrere heart-cry from U to HIM (GOD). Shalom! smiley
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Danchiks(m): 7:59pm On Jul 09, 2008
I think ure already being caught by the winds of the last days.
2Timothy 4:3 says "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears";

Psalm 122:1 "I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD".

As a child of God, you should always be happy when it's time to go to church, when the opposite happens, it means something is wrong somewhere then you have to read and act on 2Corinthians 13:5 which reads "Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates"?
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Betty605: 9:17pm On Jul 09, 2008
@ Gamine

It happens to most of us, most of the time, it is one of the devil's ways to try to get-atchu,
Do u club?, do u go for other ungodly gatherings?, how come u neva feel tired when it comes to
stuff lyk that, these are the questions you need to ask yourself. Any sunday you feel tired just
say a prayer, open ur bible and read, try listening to Gospel music in the morning, these type of things
will motivate you even more,
Good Luck hun!,
will put u in my prayaz grin
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by chinesedoll(f): 9:55pm On Jul 09, 2008
stop feeling guilty abt it, wenever u dont feel like goin 2 church on sunday
just watch a sunday church service on tv
afterall dis days wen we go 2 all dis big churches
na 4 TV we dey see the pastor, becos u not gonna even have d chance of entering into d main hall
anywayz its no boda afterall there is no place in d bible where dey sey u must go to church to make heaven
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by naomijt(f): 10:24pm On Jul 09, 2008
Some of the churches mentioned here are the reason some don't go to church anymore. They have turned church to a market place where pastors peddle.

Some say get down on your knees and I pray. I say right, but don't stop there. The main thing is the Word. study and pray for understanding. God bless.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by stabmenot(m): 10:43pm On Jul 09, 2008
@ poster
It is adamantly wrong,vehemently bad, and unforgiven offence, even societal taboo for one who is a christian not to attend church on sunday morning.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by jaymes(m): 12:16am On Jul 10, 2008
[size=16pt]YOU ARE A SINNER!!! YOU ARE GOING TO HELL TO PRACTICE GNASHING OF TEETH!!! grin grin grin[/size]
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Ndipe(m): 2:50am On Jul 10, 2008
Hmm, well, . .

i definately will stop seeing sunday service as compulsory.

and yeah, i hate to admit also, nothing relli changes

and the testimonies i usually hear are how someone met her target for Zenith Bank.

Anyways, God dey and i will stay only on Him

@Gamine, you are funny!
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by promiseof: 4:58am On Jul 10, 2008
you are the church of God.in him you have your being.while it is good not to forsake thegathering of the saint ,it is equally good that your personal relationship with is firm.do you love him?do you seek him with all of your heart?Is he ur passion ?use this period to start learning how to hear from God and how to respond to his love overtures.You need to find him ,i believe that is why there is the hunger in your heart,that is why you are dissatisfied with the present state of the church.
it is atime for you to reexamine your life and check how much he really means to you?
many of the churches have locked God out of their church.they are running their own show.for up till now he keeps knocking on their door and they wouldt let him,simply because they dont even know that he is the one!
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by texazzpete(m): 8:28am On Jul 10, 2008
stabme_not:

@ poster
It is adamantly wrong,vehemently bad, and unforgiven offence, even societal taboo for one who is a christian not to attend church on sunday morning.

It is also retarded to preach the gospel of 'fear christianity'. Stop being douchebag and move on.

Danchiks:

I think ure already being caught by the winds of the last days.
2Timothy 4:3 says "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears";

Psalm 122:1 "I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD".

As a child of God, you should always be happy when it's time to go to church, when the opposite happens, it means something is wrong somewhere then you have to read and act on 2Corinthians 13:5 which reads "Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates"?

*sigh*
Another ineffectual preacher. You won't win many converts this way.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Rogo: 8:32am On Jul 10, 2008
Depend on the mind set
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by lafile(m): 9:16am On Jul 10, 2008
What a great topic. I have enjoyed every post because of the sincere comments.
This is a delicate issue and only Gods guidance can give us true direction.
KunleOshob has made some salient points that most of us 'Church going Christians' seem not to realise. First and foremost, Christianity is a personal relationship with God. Anything that can stand between you and that relationship is a problem. And yes going to church can stand between you and that personal relationship. We all go to church expecting some refreshing, something awesome. but most of the time it just ends up as one routine. trust me i know. No matter the church. No matter what part of the gospel they emphasize (prosperity, holiness, or whatever) you end up feeling its the same old thing. Thats why the church is having almost no impact on the national life of Nigeria. its because we all think going to church on sunday is what its all about. And them pastors dont help matters. Most only tell half truths (either deliberately or they only know half truths). They dont encourage Berean-like noble christians who will check if those things they say are actually so. If you take time out from church and spend time alone with God you will understand what i mean. You tend to get more revelation relevant to you from personal study than from church preaching. The pastor who will preach actually got the message from personal study and so can you. You also find out that after you spend time in personal study, some messages preached in church will not appeal to you (e.g. die by fir prayers)

That said however, going to church is important as long you realise its not what makes you a Christian. It can help in keeping you a christian. The bible says iron sharpeneth iron. I go to church a lot. Maybe because i am involved in a dept. in church but i tend to be in church for most programmes. However, i wont pretend i get spiritually uplifted in every service. But i do know that the work i do helps someone's faith. So i dont go to church as much for myself as for my fellow brethren. I remember one time we noticed a lady always coming to chuirch monday evenings to listen to our rehearsals. We later found out our singing gives her strength to face her marriage at home. Someone else changed his mind about commiting suicide after listening to our rehearsals.
And now and then you hear a word in church that just encourages you or gives you strength. a word you just know is God speaking to you. For me it happens a lot lot more often these days since we got a new parish pastor. I love church. I understand what Gamine is saying and i feel like that sometimes (I haven't been in church since sunday unlike me) but as long as i know God has a purpose for my going to church, i'll keep going.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Gamine(f): 10:44am On Jul 10, 2008
Thanks everyone.

Some helpful points have been raised
and hv been taken

Does who think i need deliverance pls, send me ur church address.

@Betty,
i dont even club or go to "ungodly" gatherings.

@Sholeyb

Thanks,
but theres one other thing i identified
i dont really have friends who want to speak God most of the time

we are all just caught up in making it big in life, u kno
moving on to the Next big thing
this church thing wld seem like a trivial issue.

Anyways, with God help i will pass through all this
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by blackgucci(m): 11:06am On Jul 10, 2008
this is an expression of guilt, if u feel like u owe God to go to church every sunday then be there, if u dont, then dont go, we all have obligations to our concience, its one of those things that make us human,
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by otokx(m): 11:18am On Jul 10, 2008
Joining a department in church because your bored will be the next worst that will happen to you.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by oscarnuel(m): 11:26am On Jul 10, 2008
maybe you should check your spiritual life.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Gamine(f): 11:33am On Jul 10, 2008
i never talked about boredom.

Its just about giving value thats why i would want to join a church group.

i dont feel guilty about not going to church, thats part of the problem i had
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Wokeyim(f): 11:47am On Jul 10, 2008
@ All those saying Church isn't compulsory.
That's a fallacy. And i will say you guys should be careful not to blaspheme. The injunction to "keep the sabbath day holy" is enough for someone to go to know that going to church (at least every sunday) is[b] COMPULSORY[/b] It's normal not to feel like going, but even if u don't feel like, you MUST go to Church. If you can't do Church for a genuine reason like serious illness, examinations on the same day and time with Church, etc. Jesus may understand; but to sit and laze away simply because you DON'T FEEL like it, is a SIN

@ Poster
Sometimes the feeling of not going a churching may be because you've been overworked all week ( Am sure u're either working or schooling) and feel the need to rest on Sunday, and what better time to rest than in the morning, which coincidentally is same time for service! Then evening service becomes unattractive and u feel like u should go visiting or prepare for work the next day. It happens to me all the time and I believe to most people who are working. Monday to Friday; work, sometimes including saturdays. And when saturdays are free, there is cooking, washing, cleaning up, etc. to do and by the time you realize it, the day is gone and you haven't rested, and then sunday becomes the easy prey to fall on for rest. But believe me, this is a lame excuse. Before I left my parents house last year, I think Í had missed church service just twice in my entire life; but between last year and now, i can't even count how many masses i've missed. It's either am feeling ill or it is raining or I am hungry and the list could go on and on. But at home for where? No one will let you stay at home without churching; under rain or sun, there is always a car in to which every one must enter and must go to church. There's is always something about one being controlled and one being in control of his/herself, so now it's like "If i don't go to Church, there is nothing any one can do to me" No daddy, no mummy to boss one around. Sincerely, i feel very sorry to God that i had to miss Church all the times i did, for silly reasons. I know he's forgiven me and I promise him never to do it again.

@ Those giving monotony excuses, i think it doesn't count whether its the same routine every day or not. Why don't you resign form work or change jobs every year because it is monotonous? I mean u have to wake up every day, brush your teeth every day, bathe every day and do the same work at the office every day yet you keep doing this things, why? You work because you are going to be paid or because if you refuse to go to work because you don't feel like it, you will be penalized. So what is the difference? Why do human beings like to give excuses when it comes to things of God? We even perform the work monotony five or six days a week and for eight, nine or ten hours, but when it comes to going to Church, which is once a week and for 2 or 3 hours, we complain of monotony, simply because we feel God cannot come down and punish us! I think we should all think properly before making decisions. Repercussions may not be visible now, but they will surely come on the last day.

@ Changing church proposers
Like that above, this is no issue. Chruch going isn't for comfort or for catching fun, but is is compulsory. In the presence of God (no matter the church), there is fulness of joy. If u don't experience this fullness then, you definitely have problems. I mean how many churches can you afford to be changing? you may change church every year;as soon as one becomes montonous, you simply jump to another. Same question"why don't u change jobs, wives, husbands, etc every year because u need a change
@ Let us all change our attitudes towards the things of God, without him, there will be no jobs, no family, no friends, or every other things we feel make up happy.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by bartigo(m): 12:06pm On Jul 10, 2008
well i think your problem is that you don't know why you are attending church, firstly you don't attend church because you need to fill a blank space but because you want to worship the one that created you, and also so that you can be better equipted to face the challenges that come your way.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Gamine(f): 12:35pm On Jul 10, 2008
@Bartigo,
i think your problem is not reading well.
i never talked about trying to fill any space in my schedule.

@Woyekim
i know having fellowship with other believers is compulsory
but is sunday-sunday tonic, d way to go about it.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by bartigo(m): 1:28pm On Jul 10, 2008
if you know why you go to church you will not call it sunday sunday tonic.
by the way what kind of church do you attend because that matters too.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by nosio(f): 2:39pm On Jul 10, 2008
@ poster: I feel u o! Im in d same predicament myself,i fil its a phase 2 and i pray it passes soon.
I just dnt let it define 'me' despite wt people think that u r 'backsliding' shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Catholic Church Bans Ejike Mbaka From Endorsing Politicians / Salvation Ministries Building Collapses In Okpanam, Delta State, Many Dead / RCCG To Commission 12milion Capacity Auditorium. At The 63 Annual Convention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.