Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,393 members, 7,812,156 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:10 AM

I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? (18260 Views)

See What Most Nigeria Do On Saturday Night Before Going To Church On Sunday / If You Were Asked To Preach In Your Church, What Will Be Your Message? / Do You Like Going To Church Early? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by sleekymag(m): 2:48pm On Jul 10, 2008
I believe as christians we should endeavour to be in church at least every sunday. Not from the point of view of just going to church because it's a sunday, but going to church because you love God and you want to fellowship with him and enjoy his presence through the ministration of songs and/or The Word, and generally fellowshiping with other believers.

Some poster said nothing really changes in most people's lives after years of church-going. Well, that maybe true to some point, but then in some other people's lives many things have changed for the better. Motive however, is important in trying to rationalise the reason why people go to church. (Maybe some go cos they want instantaneous changes in their lives (financially, most times) and that's why Africans are the most-churchy set of people these days cos most of us are really gullible and want instant wealth. Many however become discouraged after a while and stop going to church).

Church is about our love for God and God's love for us. Church helps convert the sinner. Church helps the growing believer to grow more in faith. In church we learn principles that help make us live better lives. It also helps the matured christians to stay connected to the vine and not go luke-warm. However, nothing should take the place of personal study of the word. It's when you are an active student of the word that your spirit comes alive in church when your pastor preaches. your deeper research even makes you glow in revelations (thats if you're in the right church).

In a nutshell, don't miss church service on sundays! It should always be a refreshing experience to you.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Queenisha: 3:08pm On Jul 10, 2008
Gamine:

i never talked about boredom.

Its just about giving value thats why i would want to join a church group.

i don't feel guilty about not going to church, thats part of the problem i had

I guess your "Christian education" at Covenant secondary University did you no good. grin
Looks like your mind is already reprobate.
A Christian should long to fellowship with fellow Christians
It is called The assembly of Brethren and the Bible tells you not to neglect that fellowship
Once that desire is no longer there,you are already in a backslidden state.
A word is enough for the wise.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by wealthce0: 3:35pm On Jul 10, 2008
when there is too much money and no problem,people forget their creator.But when in need,they become more sober
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by obitobe: 4:03pm On Jul 10, 2008
do not for sake the gathering of the children of God,whosoever you bind on earth is bound in heaven and what so ever you loose in earth is loose in heaven

you need deliverance.there is a demon behind that.that all i have to say
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Sholeyb: 4:37pm On Jul 10, 2008
@ Wokeyim   if you look at where God gave the commandment about the Sabbath day in Exodus 16:23- ‘He said to them, "This is what the LORD commanded: 'Tomorrow is to be a day of rest, a holy Sabbath to the LORD. So bake what you want to bake and boil what you want to boil. Save whatever is left and keep it until morning.'
Is 58:13  SAYS ‘If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath and from doing as you please on my holy day,if you call the Sabbath a delight and the LORD's holy day honorable, and if you honor it by not going your own way and not doing as you please or speaking idle words’

Both passages do not say YOU MUST ATTEND CHURCH ON SUNDAY. The important thing to God is that you honor the day by not going your own way and doing as you please or speaking idle words, Did you know that some people attend church to go and sell their wares or advertise their business or network. What about speaking idle words on the day?

The only passage that God warns about the Sabbath day does not even have to do with not attending church- Jeremiah 17:27 ‘But if you do not obey me to keep the Sabbath day holy by not carrying any load as you come through the gates of Jerusalem on the Sabbath day, then I will kindle an unquenchable fire in the gates of Jerusalem that will consume her fortresses.'

Do u also know that Sabbath in the bible is actually sundown Friday to sundown Saturday as given in the bible and still observed by Jews.

I would reiterate that there is no excuse not to attend church, but the bible never said it is COMPULSORY to attend church on Sunday, if it does please provide me with the bible passage. What I advocate is going to Church on any day (including Sunday) and as many times as you wish a week, because you love the Lord. I actually believe that it is better to attend church rather than stay away, but lets us not forget that serving God is about pleasing him, 'without faith no one can please God'. If you have no faith and you attend church you are wasting your time. My main gist is that YOUR HEART TOWARDS GOD IS THE MOST IMPORTANT and would lead you to enjoy worshipping God both alone and corporately.

You mentioned that prior to living on your own you rarely missed church, I believe this is one of the causes of not feeling like attending church, If someone has been going to Church out of a sense of duty or compulsion, they are more likely to fall off the wagon. This is why I am saying that we must all have a relationship with Jesus so that attending church will not be an issue.

Re monoty of physical things, that cannot compare with spiritual things, you can bear the monoty of physical things because you know this world is temporal, but for me if my spiritual life is static, there is a problem. The bible talks about renewing your mind daily and maturing, these are continuous processes.

You said no matter the church there will be fullness of joy, there can only be joy in the presence of God, so if God is absent in a church you will never have fullness of joy, no matter how often and how much time you spend in it.

I do not normally put up posts, but I am passionate about encouraging children of God  to study the bible personally in order to show themselves approved.

@ Gamine- I would advise that you speak to a member of your church who may be willing to do this, if you have no friends. You may be surprised that if you bring this up with one of your friends, they may also have the same issue and would be willing to partner with you to achieve this.

You also mentioned that your focus is making it big & moving on to the next thing, this may be the cause of not feeling like attending church. God may not have priority in your life, deal with your relationship with him and rededicate your life to him and start to study the word of GOD not out of duty but because you love God and want to spend time with him. you know when you are in love with someone, you want to be with them all the time, ask God to increase his Love in your heart, you will see that suddenly you would not only want to attend church but also talk about him to others. Will pray for you
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jul 10, 2008
Please, do guard your heart jealously, because in times like these different suggestions step in, and if care is not taken. One might loose focus and begin to doubt the faith you once contended for.

Please, Never stay too long on this cliff edge, it could be dangerous. It's a situation that we often face as believers. . . "spiritual lethargy".  But, with God's grace we are able to overcome all fiery storm of the wicked one. Be strong in the heart and don't forsake the assembly of the righteous.

I pray God to give your heart DIRECTION. Amen
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by trex007(m): 4:48pm On Jul 10, 2008
does it bite u when u have to go for lectures in skool?i feel u have to change ur mindset about sundays,
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by amaechijay: 5:09pm On Jul 10, 2008
@ Gamine

no mind them jare, notin do u

it hapened to me last year too. l was scamping from 1 church to another , then l stopped and didn't go to church for months. l was bored.

l have gone back to my family church (Anglican) thoh and go to HOTR sometimes.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Gamine(f): 5:10pm On Jul 10, 2008
of cos it "bites" me when i have to go for lectures!!

@Queenisha. Thank God i didnt go to Covenant Secondary Uni.

@Others with Relevant posts

Thanks alot, my mind is constantly stayed on God despite anything
im not on any cliff and i will not forsake the assembly of believers.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by KunleOshob(m): 5:33pm On Jul 10, 2008
Gamine:

That is the most important thing worshipping God in truth and in faith and loving him. There is no injunction that you must go to church on sundays anywhere in the bible, that is not to say you shouldn't go, but don't let it burden you. The important thing to to study God's word and share this word with other belivers and unbelievers to.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jul 10, 2008
Gamine:

of because it "bites" me when i have to go for lectures!!

@Queenisha. Thank God i didnt go to Covenant Secondary Uni.

@Others with Relevant posts

lol.

All the best then. . . .
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Gamine(f): 5:51pm On Jul 10, 2008
Thank You
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by pclem: 6:57pm On Jul 10, 2008
helo ,

i am writing in response to the message you posted concerning not going to church on sunday . church is a place you can be recharged spiritually  the bible say s in isaiah  that He will draw you strenght from zion  and zion is the church when ever you are in church you will be transformed spiritually and it will help you to live the effective christian live . GOD is your source and your will sustain you when you go to church you will be sustained spiritualy . stop being a baby christian  as a christian there a lot to offer to this dying generation you just have to discover your gift  and develop it and deploy it for the benefit of others . you need to discover your self and your relevant in this world ask your self this question why are mine here and what are mine capable of doing and where are mine going  and who will help me to develop my gift  i advise you to have a mentor or a pastor as your mentor .
clement dike
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Rhea(f): 7:09pm On Jul 10, 2008
Church is about christianity. Jesus usually preached to groups and multitudes. There is a reason to that. Rarely did he have personal encounters except for probably the woman of samaria at the well.  

So going to church goes beyond marking the register or comparing clothing on a weekly basis or contributing to the reverend's building project at VGC. I know they should eat and build and send their relatives abroad  and float business empires from the offering table. grin

But what matters more than these, is the way you feel entering the church and leaving the church.

If there is no change, then ask God to bring about that desired change.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by hilli666(m): 10:10pm On Jul 10, 2008
Go to your local babalawo, and he or she should be able to tell you why you dont want to go to church.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by globalman: 10:34pm On Jul 10, 2008
I Like to say, we are living in the last days, where the love of many are waxeing cold, where material things, are being worship more than God, what destory churches, is a lack of love for God, and his people, the truth is not longer being preached, no one is no longer commited to the things of God, we are busy being overtaken by america lust for things , self fulfillment, we are being seduce by false teaching, that tell us, we are gods in our own right, telling us it ok, to walk both side of the fence, serving God, and walking with Devil, the question is, what are we going to church for? what is our purpose in going to church? are going for the people or God? God wants the best for us, he want to fellowship with us, satan on the other,, want to pull you away from the church, but if u are not satisfied with the church, you are going to, pray and ask God, to lead you, to a assembly of believer of his choice, go where the spirit of God is moving, by his power, where the word of God is being preach in love and truth with conviction, where holy livingis important, where the love of the believer is real, not fake, where souls are being bless and revive
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by koredemma(m): 11:43pm On Jul 10, 2008
Bro, u are not alone, it does occur but wit time, it will pass. just be on d lords rite sside and you are safe.

it is well
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Ndipe(m): 1:48am On Jul 11, 2008
May God bless you for your answer in the Name of Jesus Christ, Amen@globalman
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by loysten: 9:13am On Jul 11, 2008
Hi,

I am having doubt you that, you are saved or not.
Do you already accepted Jesus Christ as you personal saviour.
Have you received the infilling of holy spirit.

I think if you have got these things then going to church will not bore you.

Please remember this, Our Lord Jesus Christ said "Where two and three gathered in his name, he will be in their midst"

Confess this I am going to meet Jesus there, Jesus Children there,
Don't give chance to devil to divert your life.

===================================================

Loysten,

willhill.com bookmaker. Horse betting online with William Hill.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Gamine(f): 11:06am On Jul 11, 2008
Babalawo?

i see.

reminds me of the joke someone sent to my friend yesterday.

a guy said " While i was in church, one nonsense old man lighting his cigar made me spill my beer"
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Elgaxton(m): 11:13am On Jul 11, 2008
not feelin like going to church for a while is as a simple result of boredom

U aint feeling the church anymore that's it, even if u resume you'll still get bored

unless there are changes in the activities to spur u up again.

I want use this opportunity to invite you to my church Christ Embassy,

I bet you will never have a boring moment! You'll always look forward to the next

service day I tell you.

Y'all invited to my church smiley
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Gbosko: 11:34am On Jul 11, 2008
What we see in Nigeria today and many parts of the world is a clear failure of the church system. Nigeria has the second largest population of professing Xtians (after USA) yet the country is languishing in corruption and abject poverty. And dat's an irony cos most prosperous countries of the world have their foundation and systems rooted in the God od the Xtian church.
The reason why a lot of people's zeal for church going is waxing cold is because it's becoming obvious that the proliferated church assemblies in Nigeria has failed to affect our society for the better. The churches has virtually stopped speaking out against the injustices in the society and many churches have gone into partnership with the government and politicians to institute systematic robbing of the poor citizens.
The truth is bitter and it is with a pain heart that I write these things. However, Gbosko Alhaji will continue going to church here in USA. I will not stop going to church becos I've decide to stop seeing that pastor with an attitude and that church member behaving weird. I will continue church going because while I focus on Christ, my hunger for seeking him and going to wherever his name is being proclaimed will not wax cold. NOF said. sad
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by KunleOshob(m): 12:02pm On Jul 11, 2008
We are all just deceiving ourselves, true christianity does not exist in any of our churches today. You can check out this thread https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-148850.0.html it says a lot about the church and what it should be.

@elgaxton
abeg stop using this forum to advertise your church. Your church is a major part of the problem of church deception which we are having in this country today and drawing us backward.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Gamine(f): 12:06pm On Jul 11, 2008
Elgaxton!

i cnt believe you still came here to advertise Christ Embassy!

Soon someone else will come here with Jesus Consulate!

Pls o!

im not bored with church, at all!
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by more4dlord: 2:06pm On Jul 11, 2008
beloved,

the holy spirit will help you, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. the bible says- watch and pray less you fall into the temptation of the devil. the devil is trying to disconnect you from the grace of corporate anoiting.

watch .
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Bolarge(m): 2:29pm On Jul 11, 2008
jaymes:

[size=16pt]YOU ARE A SINNER!!! YOU ARE GOING TO HELL TO PRACTICE GNASHING OF TEETH!!!  grin  grin  grin[/size]
Bwahahahahahahaha!!! Jesus Christ I haven't laughed soo hard inna lwaang time! grin
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Gamine(f): 2:39pm On Jul 11, 2008
LOL.

i had to laff at that one sha!!

To practice Gnashing of teeth, LOL!!
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Elgaxton(m): 3:46pm On Jul 11, 2008
Are sure u checked the time btw the invitations,

Assumptions aint good ok
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by olabowale(m): 4:02pm On Jul 11, 2008
@More4dlord:

the bible says- watch and pray less you fall into the temptation of the devil.

From the above statement, it seems as if a paerson will fall into the temptation of the devil, when not watchful and prayerful. Is that correct to say, based on what the bible quote means? Its very clear and there is no need for any interpretation.

Now tell me those who are tempted by the devils are sinners. Will you not think that is the case, in all cases, if only when they are under that influence of the devil? But of course, it is a noble effort, by the help of God, therefore to resist the temptations and break free from the influence.

Such a person would have been one time a sinner, but now a forgiven person, without any sin still on the record. Or at least, such a person was with a sinful nature. Such a person because of the temptation can not be said is free of sinful nature, or can it be said?

Please respond to my every question. That if you know. I am learning.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jul 11, 2008
Elgaxton:

I want use this opportunity to invite you to my church Christ Embassy,

I bet you will never have a boring moment! You'll always look forward to the next

service day I tell you.

Is "church" now more about excitement?
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Elgaxton(m): 4:19pm On Jul 11, 2008
Hi Davidlan

Yes Church should be an exciting place to be or what do you think?

Do you think God is supposed to be boring?
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by debosky(m): 4:28pm On Jul 11, 2008
your mindset is the most important thing here - if you don't 'feel' like going, and you allow that to overshadow what your spirit knows to be right, then you are allowing the flesh (i.e your feelings and emotions) to rule over the spirit which says we should not neglect fellowship with brethren.

It doesn't say, do not neglect fellowship unless it is boring, it says do not neglect it. If we do things only because we feel like then life would be a big mess; you'd never have gone to school for more than a year, you wouldn't work hard because you didn't feel it.

Going to church is PRIMARILY about fellowship with other believers, that should be your aim - serving, being excited and all those are secondary.

Change your mindset, TELL your body/mind what to do - which is to delight in the house of the Lord

Read Psalm 103 - David COMMANDED/INSTRUCTED his soul to bless the Lord, meaning it may not have felt like - you need to take charge and not operate based on how you are feeling.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Salvation Ministries Building Collapses In Okpanam, Delta State, Many Dead / Is It A Sin When You Don’t Go To Church On Sunday? / Catholic Church Bans Ejike Mbaka From Endorsing Politicians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.