Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,504 members, 7,812,554 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:19 PM

The Victor Banjo Story - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Victor Banjo Story (24952 Views)

The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero / Honorable Kemi Banjo (Alatika): 'Tasted, Trusted & Reliable' / Ojukwu Killed Lt. Col. Banjo: Why? I Need to get to the root of this matter... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Victor Banjo Story by DejiYesufu(m): 12:51pm On Jul 07, 2008
I just read the victor Banjo story and I felt a lot of young people know very little about it. Victor Banjo was a Nigerian army officer who was alleged to have been part of the soldiers who planned the first coup of january 15th 1966. He was arrested and subsequently detained in the far east - Ikot Epkene. He continually insisted on his innocence (something the other coup plotters never did) and wrote letters to the then Head of State Ironsi demanding for his release. When Ironsi was toppled and Gowon came to power he still did not release him even though they were both of the same rank in the army and both attended the same military academy in London. When the civil war was aboout to break out Ojukwu released him from Prison and he joined him in the state house at Enugu. He could not return to the Nigerian side because he was still not cleared of treason charges. And he did not approve of  Ojukwu sessesion plan.
That is how far the story of the book went. To me he had the option of leaving the country since somehow he was sandwitched in the middle but rather the next we heard of Banjo was that he was leading contigents of Biafran army against Nigeria. From his own testimony his attacks were very successful but by September 1966 (the war started in June or so) Ojukwu had him arrested and tried for treason. He was excecuted with three other. One of the people who saw him killed said 'Victor Banjo was a picture of brave soldier even in the eyes of immediate and sudden death. With his chest outward and head lifted high, gun shots of three volies rammed into him' The same person went on to say that as he died he kept saying ' I am not dead yet , I am not dead yet,, ' For me I think the man was murdered by Ojukwu.
His daughter published a book last year in his name 'LETTERS TO MY WIFE' and it is so mind boggling.
Since this is a disscussion forum I wanted to know if anyone had heard of him(or the the book) and could help answer some of my quesitons: 1. why did Banjo fight on the side of the Biafran Army when he could have left the country before the start of the War when he was released from prison by Ojukwu. 2. What reason has Ojukwu offered for killing such a brilliant and brave soldier? 3. Why did Gowon continue to keep him in detention when other political leaders like Awolowo had been released from prison?
I would be grateful for any insightful answer to one or all of the questions above. As I think some books have been written on Banjo (one written by his elder sister: A BREAK IN SILENCE) and the Civil War and the authors may have given some answers to these questions.
Also this may offer opportunity for those who've never heard of him to hear his story.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by deor03(m): 1:56pm On Jul 07, 2008
From my limited knowledge, i'll attempt to answer your questions.

1. Victor Banjo fought for Biafra because at that time, he was  in a prison in the East after the 1966 coup. Most of the soldiers that participated in the 1966 coups were in prison round the country. Ojukwu needed experienced men at that time, so it was easy to turn to Victor Banjo to fight against those that put him in prison( The Northern elements of 1966 counter coup)

2. Ojukwu felt at that time, that Victor Banjo was fighting his own war NOT Biafra war. Some school of thought believed that Victor Banjo dream was to push the was to Yoruba territory via  Ore and then declare Yoruba Nation. His success at  Benin axis also showed his military capabilities fuelling the suspicion of him having his own agenda. The main reason why he was killed is know to Ojukwu alone but on paper, Victor Banjo, Phillip Alale, Ifeajuna and Sam Agbam were tried and convicted of Treason .

3. Victor Banjo was arrested based on suspicion of his involvement in the January 1966 coup, however, the real actors in the coup denied his involvement. All the soldiers ,Banjo, Ademoyega, Ifeajuna, Nzeogu were all kept in prison till the outbreak of the civil wars.

You can view this links in youtube ( Part1 - Part 8 . It is a painful reminder .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3ReFoFp0Gs&feature=related

1 Like

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by DejiYesufu(m): 11:58am On Jul 09, 2008
Thank you Deor03. That was an expose. I browse the site as you indicated. I appreciate it.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by dayokanu(m): 7:38am On Jul 10, 2008
What I think about the Banjo story is that Ojukwu just used those boys Nzeogwu, Ifeajuna, Banjo They were the real fighters who were conned into believing that they it was a revolution Banjo led the assault to Lagos and the famous Ore Battle.

How can Banjo declare a Yoruba republic when the Yoruba's never said they wanted one? If they wanted a Yoruba republic, Awolowo would have declared and the war would have been long lost as it would amount to fighting on two fronts for the Federal troops who were already stretched at Biafra front.

Then most of the Yoruba soldiers on the Federal side would have defected to fight for Yoruba republic too.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by DejiYesufu(m): 2:08pm On Jul 10, 2008
The Victor Banjo story is a historical event and I would not want anyone reading this discuss to think it is a waste of time. They say if we don't learn from history we will certainly become history.
The last I heard of Ojukwu is that he was being paid the arreas of his salaries or is it pension since the civil war. Will somebody wake up and try him for war crimes? Oh he's been pardoned by the state. So unfortunate.
Like dayokanu said the real revolutionaries were Banjo and the other boyz. Someone said Banjo was fighting his own war with his own agenda. Ojukwu is the one, to me, who seem to have been fighting his own war with his own agenda. Unfortunately with MASSOB of today, the question of Biafra has not left us.

3 Likes

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by oldie(m): 3:13pm On Jul 10, 2008
Before you can understand the Banjo story,
You need to know:
Why the 1966 coup took place
Who were involved
What were the reasons for the coup
Why subsequent events led to the civil war

The same reasons for the coup are still with us today:
- Corruption
- Tribalism
- In-eptitude leadership
- Egocentric leadership
- Tokenism
- Shallow followership

2 Likes

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by deor03(m): 7:40pm On Jul 10, 2008
DejiYesufu:

The Victor Banjo story is a historical event and I would not want anyone reading this discuss to think it is a waste of time. They say if we don't learn from history we will certainly become history.
The last I heard of Ojukwu is that he was being paid the arreas of his salaries or is it pension since the civil war. Will somebody wake up and try him for war crimes? Oh he's been pardoned by the state. So unfortunate.
Like dayokanu said the real revolutionaries were Banjo and the other boyz. Someone said Banjo was fighting his own war with his own agenda. Ojukwu is the one, to me, who seem to have been fighting his own war with his own agenda. Unfortunately with MASSOB of today, the question of Biafra has not left us.

I bet to disagree with the higlighted part of your submission. Any brave person in Ojukwu shoes in 1967 would probably has declared a break. Ibo were being killed in all parts of the north. Even the ones that were escaping were ambushed and killed.

Igbo soldiers and officers were rounded up and killed within the barracks, the general feeling was that there was no point staying in a union that you were not wanted.
At some point, it was possible that Ojukwu took some wrong decision due to the strain and fatigue of the 3 year long war. Sad enough during war situation, mistake are paid for with lives

1 Like

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by darfur(m): 8:36pm On Jul 10, 2008
deor03:

I bet to disagree with the higlighted part of your submission. Any brave person in Ojukwu shoes in 1967 would probably has declared a break. Ibo were being killed in all parts of the north. Even the ones that were escaping were ambushed and killed.

Igbo soldiers and officers were rounded up and killed within the barracks, the general feeling was that there was no point staying in a union that you were not wanted.
At some point, it was possible that Ojukwu took some wrong decision due to the strain and fatigue of the 3 year long war. Sad enough during war situation, mistake are paid for with lives

dude. i can never say it too much, bravery must never be utilised in the absence of wisdom. he was(and still is) intelligent. he knew very well that biafran military strength(if any) was no match for the nigerian army. infact later evidence showed that the nigerian army was full of inefficacies b/c that war should have lasted only a few weeks. much like the US invasion of afghanistan.

how can you send young men without arms against the relatively equipped nigerian armed forces? armoured cars etc and the biafrans didnt even have uniform, no shoes, no food . . .it was laughable and foolhardiness.

the red highlighted zone shows the folly of war. a man in an office makes mistakes and thousands/millions of young people die.

it's not funny
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Ibime(m): 12:01am On Jul 11, 2008
Ojukwu made a lot of mistakes in that war - and some of them were to meet his own ends. A lot of people questioned his approach to the war, the awarding of food supply and weapon supply contracts to dodgy contractors. I have read a few books where his own Generals questioned his tactics and motives. From the Naija-Delta point of view, his approach to the minority tribes within Biafra was also a reason for Biafras downfall.

As darfur stated above, his planning of the war was not strategic and a lot of lives were wasted due to lack of adequate weaponry and famine. That shit wasnt a joke to anyone who lived through it.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by RichyBlacK(m): 12:29am On Jul 11, 2008
Ibime:

Ojukwu made a lot of mistakes in that war - and some of them were to meet his own ends. A lot of people questioned his approach to the war, the awarding of food supply and weapon supply contracts to dodgy contractors. I have read a few books where his own Generals questioned his tactics and motives. From the Naija-Delta point of view, his approach to the minority tribes within Biafra was also a reason for Biafras downfall.

As darfur stated above, his planning of the war was not strategic and a lot of lives were wasted due to lack of adequate weaponry and famine. That shit wasnt a joke to anyone who lived through it.

It was no joke at all. My dad fought in that terrible war, and told us countless stories of war while we were growing up. Ojukwu made some mistakes, however, I doubt if he had any other option but to declare Biafra. Gowon was "ineptitude raised to power ineptitude". He couldn't or didn't stop the pogrom against Ndi Igbo. Had the useless Nigerian government prevented the cold-blooded murder of Igbos all across Nigeria, there would have been no need for the panic which led to the declaration of Biafra.

1 Like

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Blackgent: 11:33pm On Mar 22, 2009
I grew up reading about the Nigerian Civil War and most importantly the involvement and non-involvement of Lt Col Victor Banjo, whom from my reading i admired greatly.

It was a young live taken away from his family and friends and i cannot imagine how many people in Nigeria will ever forgive Ojukwu for taking those young officers lives away along with those many lovely igbo people that he dragged into that unnecessary civil war.

Ojukwu cannot live forever and i was infact disappointed that the Nigerian government has not put him up for trial charged with war crimes.

Ifeajuna, Alale, Banjo and the rest are just some of those young and bright soldiers whose lives were taken away unnecessarily. Who should also not forget the brave Isaac Boro.

1 Like

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by udezue(m): 1:33am On Mar 23, 2009
Why should Ojukwu be tried for war crime?
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by bawomolo(m): 2:02am On Mar 23, 2009
udezue:

Why should Ojukwu be tried for war crime?

I don't think he should but his actions such as forcing Aid planes to carry weapons showed an heartless win at all cost mentality.  Ojukwu was basically a congolese like warlord, just more eloquent

however, I doubt if he had any other option but to declare Biafra

well he had the option of autonomy. If any thing, he went to war way too early.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by naijaking1: 2:09am On Mar 23, 2009
@topic
very interesting, always good to look back at history.

Speaking about trials, let's start with those who organized to massacre their own country men, women, and children all in the name of punishing the Igbos, then we try those cowards like Danjuma who murdered Fajuyi, and Gen. Ironsi, the man he swore to protect as one of his ADC.

My understanding about Ifeajuna and other officers from Onitsha was that they never fully accepted Ojukwu as a leader, being that he's from Nnewi. This mutual suspicion must have contributed to their fate, and eventual Biafran defeat.

Ibime:

@Ibime
Looking back and calculating the looser's mistakes is always part of any war, and even modern day political campaigns---just ask John McCain.

Forget about this Niger-Delta B--s, for crying out loud. If oil had been found at Onitsha, they would be claiming to be non-Igbos today also.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by naijaking1: 2:44am On Mar 23, 2009
bawomolo:

I don't think he should but his actions such as forcing Aid planes to carry weapons showed an heartless win at all cost mentality.  Ojukwu was basically a congolese like warlord, just more eloquent

well he had the option of autonomy. If any thing, he went to war way too early.

There's always 2 sides to every story to"an heartless win mentality" . I am sure the Biafran account will be different from yours.
Your half baked honesty about the options Igbos had in 1966 is heartbreaking. There was no better option than self preservation; autonomy, session, going-home, fighting back, whatever you'd call it.

You've really got to be ashemed of your hypocrisy: 2 NYSC Yorubas are killed in Jos for religious/ethnic riot, some of you called for war, and over 1,000,000 (million) Igbos/Ibibios, Efiks, even ijaws are killed all over Nigeria and you call for an option: autonomy?
Look yourself in the mirrow and you wouldn't see anybody close to Soyinka, and Gani in honesty.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by bawomolo(m): 2:56am On Mar 23, 2009
naijaking1:

There's always 2 sides to every story to"an heartless win mentality" . I am sure the Biafran account will be different from yours.
Your half baked honesty about the options Igbos had in 1966 is heartbreaking. There was no better option than self preservation; autonomy, session, going-home, fighting back, whatever you'd call it.

I have a right to my opinion, in a time when Biafra was spreading its propaganda in England, why did Ojukwu insist on the Aid planes carrying weapons. Shouldn't the welfare of civilians be a bigger priority. His insistence on continuing the war to the point of training child soldiers was heartless. It's one thing to fight, it's another to take a knife to a gun fight. Ojukwu choose the wrong option IMM

You've really got to be ashemed of your hypocrisy: 2 NYSC Yorubas are killed in Jos for religious/ethnic riot, some of you called for war, and over 1,000,000 (million) Igbos/Ibibios, Efiks, even ijaws are killed all over Nigeria and you call for an option: autonomy?
Look yourself in the mirrow and you wouldn't anybody close to Soyinka, and Gani in honesty.

where did this tangent come from, show a post where i called for war or secession.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Nobody: 3:08am On Mar 23, 2009
From ma own pont of view[b]YES!!![/b] I cldnt help bur to read this memorable topic.
Indeed Ojukwu made a lota MISTAKES', although it is generally believed that Mistakes has 'No Master'. The dude musta realize his damn mistakes afta the war before initiating the cold blooded massacres (war) and unwanted killings of his own people sad . Solidarity indeed appraises the brave hearted, the likes of Banjo, ifeauna and counterparts. This once displayed a Vast Characteristics of a Real Soldier' (RIP).
Meanwhile, there are many more to the topic than what has been sighted here.

~~GOD BLESS NIGERIA~~
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Nobody: 3:19am On Mar 23, 2009
Sometimes, going thru Nigeria's history makes u have or change ur initial present Opinions, Priority, Thoughts and feelings about our dare country 9ja. Humn'

*~~Nods Head and Restarts PC~~* tongue sadsad
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by tpia: 5:44am On Mar 23, 2009
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by onyengbu1(m): 8:38am On Mar 23, 2009
It amazes me how people reason here, so when a group of Nigerians(the hausas) mudered in cold blood hundreds of thousands of igbos in pogrom and much more 'genocidally' in the war they wont take the blame for that it will be Ojukwu that will be blamed for
initiating the cold blooded massacres (war) and unwanted killings of his own people

The 'cold blood massacres of his people done by WHO?

Why are people so afraid of saying that igbos were massacred, They only keep blaming Ojukwu.

Why not blame the people that did the massacre and not the man that tried to stop it.

Damn Hypocrites!!
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by chykeo(m): 9:04am On Mar 23, 2009
In beginning to contribute to this and in trying to answer the questions raised, I will ask that we try to educate ourselves as much as we can on what led to the BIAFRAN WAR, HOW IT WAS FOUGHT, WHO FOUGHT WHO AND THE CONSEQUENCES AND AFTER EFFECTS OF THE WAR, THIS WAY WE CAN LEARN AND BE ABLE TO AVOID A REOCCURANCE. FOR US WHO WERE NOT BORN BEFORE THE WAR, I THINK THERE IS A LOT OF DOCUMENTED LITERATURE ON THE WAR. TO GET AN INSIGHT BEFORE YOU COMMENT, PLEASE TRY AND READ THE NIGERIAN REVOLUTION AND THE BIAFRAN BY ALEXANDER MADIEBO. THERE IS ALSO ANOTHER BOOK TITLED WHY WE STRUCK. DO TRY TO READ ALSO OJUKWU'S BECAUSE I AM INVOLVED AND FREDRICK FORSYTH'S EMEKA. THESE BOOKS WILL GIVE YOU AN INSIGHT INTO WHAT HAPPENED DURING THAT PERIOD.

OJUKWU AND THE IGBOS DID NOT DECLARE WAR ON NIGERIA. WHAT HAPPENED WAS THAT AFTER THE MILLITARY COUP BY NZEOGWU AND HIS GROUP ON JANUARY 15TH 1966, THERE WAS A LOT OF FEELING AROUND THE COUNTRY THAT THE COUP WAS TARGET AFTER A SECTION OF THE COUNTRY BECAUSE MOST OF THE VICTIMS OF THAT COUP WERE NORTHERNERS. THERE WAS A COUNTER COUP IN JULY OF THE SAME YEAR AND SUBSEQUENTLY POGROMS ALL AROUND THE COUNTRY WHERE EASTERNERS WERE TARGETED, AMBUSHED AND KILLED. MANY OF THE IGBOS FLED NORTHERN NIGERIA AND THOSE WHO CAME BACK HAD SORDID TALES TO TELL. THE POGRAM WENT ON AND ON AND THE THEN GOVERNMENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA LED BY YAKUBU GOWON DID NOTHING TO STOP THE KILLINGS AND COULD NOT OFFER SECURITY AND PROTECTION FOR THE IGBOS. SOME WHACKED BODIES RETURNED HEADLESS AND SOME WERE LUCKY TO COME HOME WITH A LIMB OR AN ARM MISSING. SEEKING SOLUTION TO THE IMBROGLIO, OJUKWU AND GOWON HAD A CONFERENCE AT ABURI GHANA AND GOWON CAME BACK HOME TO INTERPRET THE RESOLUTIONS OF THE ABURI CONFERENCE DIFFERENTLY FROM WHAT THEY AGREED ON. OJUKWU MAINTAINED "ON ABURI WE STAND". I AM SURE THAT EVERY STUDENT OF HISTORY KNOWS THOSE WORDS ON ABURI WE STAND. GOWON REFUSED TO IMPLEMENT THE AGREEMENTS REACHED AT ABURI AND WHICH HE SIGNED. SO WHILE THE KILLINGS CONTINUED, THE IGBO ELDERS MET AND ASKED OJUKWU TO GIVE THEM PROTECTION SINCE THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA CANNOT OFFER THEM PROTECTION. THEY EMPOWERED OJUKWU TO DECLARE A SOVERIGN STATE OF BIAFRA AND GRANT THEM ALL THE RIGHTS AND SECURITIES THEY SEEK. THUS ON MAY 29TH OF 1967, THE STATE OF BIAFRA WAS BORN. SAME YEAR, THE FEDERAL FORCES OF THE NIGERIAN RFEPUBLIC ENTERED NSUKKA IN THE SOUTH EAST AND BEGIN TO BOMBARD THEM, SAYING THEY ARE FIGHTING TO KEEP NIGERIA ONE. WHAT ELSE WILL OJUKWU AND THE IGBOS DO RATHER THAN TO DEFEND THEMSELVES?

SO LET IT BE NOTED, THAT THE IGBOS DID NOT STRIKE THE NIGERIAN REPUBLIC FIRST. LET IT ALSO BE NOTED THAT OJUKWU DID NOT TAKE THE IGBOS TO WAR UNPREPARED. THE IGBOS WERE FORCED TO DEFEND THEMSELVES FROM GENOCIDE. THE IGBO ELDERS ASKED OJUKWU TO DECLARE BIAFRA AND NOT THAT HE DID IT ON HIS OWN.

I ADMIRE VICTOR BANJO A LOT. HE WAS IN PRISON IN THE EAST WHEN THE WAR BROKE OUT. OJUKWU RELEASED HIM AND FOUGHT ON THE BIAFRAN SIDE. IN WAR SITUATIONS AND CIRCUMSTANCES, MANY THINGS HAPPEN. VICTOR BANJO WAS TO LEAD THE BIAFRAN FORCES TO ENTER LAGOS. ACCORDING TO THE BOOKS I HAVE READ SO FAR, HE MARCHED ALL THE WAY TO ORE GALLANTLY WITH LITTLE OBSTRUCTIONS AND WAS TO CAPTURE LAGOS IN A FEW DAYS UNTIL HE STOPPED THE FORCES AND SATRTED DELAYING THEM UNNECESSARILY. THAT INVASION OF LAGOS WAS PLANNED FOR LONG AND BIAFRA GAVE IT ALL THEY HAD. IT HAS NEVER BEEN CLEAR UP TILL NOW WHAT VICTOR BANJO'S INTENTION WAS IN ABORTING THAT INVASION. THEY WERE CLEAR TO LAGOS AND SHOULD THEY HAD CAPTURED LAGOS, HISTORIANS BELIEVE THE WAR WOULD HAVE ENDED THERE AND THEN. SO IT REMAINS UNCLEAR HIS INTENTIONS OF ABORTING AGAINST THE ORDER HE HAD FROM HEADQUARTERS.

VICTOR BANJO WAS TRIED AND CONVICTED OF TREASON. I DO NOT WANT TO BELIEVE THAT OJUKWU DID HIM IN INTENTIONALLY. IF HE DID NOT LIKE BANJO WHY DID HE RELEASE HIM FROM PRISON AND TRUSTED HIM WITH A COMMAND OF A SENSITIVE OPERATION TO INVADE LAGOS?

I THINK WE SHOULD TRY TO READ THOSE BOOKS AND BE BETTER INFORMED. OJUKWU DID HIS BEST, GIVEN THE CIRCUMSTANCES. BUT WE PRASY SUCH THINGS WILL NEVER HAPPEN TO US AGAIN IN JESUS NAME AMEN.

WHAT HAVE I LEARNT FROM WAR? HOW TO FEAR THE NEXT ONE EVEN MORE

3 Likes

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Dede1(m): 12:58pm On Mar 23, 2009
@ Poster

Before we could begin to proffer blames, answers and reasons to the questions and the culpable indictments generated by Nigeria-Biafra civil war, I plead with the poster to purge him/her self of all forms of bias and first gets the facts corrected so that a mundane intellectual atmosphere could reign.

@ Ibime

For umpteenth times, Niger Delta is recent political ghost manufactured by the detractors of Eastern Region of Nigeria. Before and during the civil war, there is nothing such as Niger Delta as it is known today. The detractors who coined and gave you the phrase, Niger Delta, are laughing themselves to stupidity because they knew that they can change it any given day.

Have you posed questioned is Benue-Orashi-Imo-Niger delta the only delta in the south coastal area of Nigeria. What happened to delta such Warri-Burutu-Forcados-Benin-Escravos delta? What of Qua Ibo-Cross river delta? If you failed to constitute your political base properly through naming convention, there is no serious-minded person that will take you for real. All the present Niger Delta craps are fools play.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by comfort3: 4:00pm On Mar 23, 2009
one of the massacre carried out by biafran troops.when the atrocities committed by the Biafran troops were pointed out, they go ahead and deny the claims just like the people they were cursing out earlier,  hmmmmmm,. sad wink
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by yarodin: 10:59pm On Mar 23, 2009
Did Ademoyega fight for Biafra or Nigeria? I am thinking Biafra because if he had gone over to Nigeria he would have been killed for participating in the first coup.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by bawomolo(m): 1:08am On Mar 24, 2009
I believe Ademoyega fought for the federal government, i may be wrong. Lots of coup plotters imprisoned in the eastern region fought on the biafran side. Wasn't Ademoyega imprisoned in the mid-west?
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Dede1(m): 7:56am On Mar 24, 2009
*comfort:

one of the massacre carried out by biafran troops.when the atrocities committed by the Biafran troops were pointed out, they go ahead and deny the claims just like the people they were cursing out earlier,  hmmmmmm,. sad wink

It will be an under statement to identify you as an entity of imbecility. You are either occupying your silly self with skewed articles or decimating blatant falsehood. When people with gray matters above their shoulders write about the atrocities committed by Nigerian vandals, the name of commander, the unit that committed atrocities and place where the massacre was committed were furnished. This indulgence amounts to literally dexterity on the part Biafrans, However, this piece of human quality could not mention in the sentence with Nigeria.

Nigerian government stood up the huge propaganda machine that fed its populace with deceits and unfounded lies about civil war that resulted in producing the largest ignorant society about an issue since the invention of bread.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Nobody: 9:29am On Mar 24, 2009
I don't know anything about the war cause I was born almost 23yrs after the war begin ( assuming it started 1966). The reason I choose not to know about the war is knowing the kind of person that I am, I'll always pick side and there are too many stories about the war that are teller's bias. But I seriously think Ojukwu should've made better preparation. At least he wasn't arrested in a hole like Saddam Husein (That guy na total fuk up). How come Igbo people didn't vote for him? Because I think if it wasn't for that war, the Hausas would've continued killing until foreign governments interfere or the Gowon government overthrown.

2 Likes

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by naijaking1: 5:45pm On Mar 24, 2009
9jaganja:

I don't know anything about the war cause I was born almost 23yrs after the war begin ( assuming it started 1966). The reason I choose not to know about the war is knowing the kind of person that I am, I'll always pick side and there are too many stories about the war that are teller's bias. But I seriously think Ojukwu should've made better preparation. At least he wasn't arrested in a hole like Saddam Husein (That guy na total fuk up). How come Igbo people didn't vote for him? Because I think if it wasn't for that war, the Hausas would've continued killing until foreign governments interfere or the Gowon government overthrown.

My understanding was that there was no time to prepare for the war on the part of Igbos. This is another evidence that shows it wasn't a war of choice, it was imposed on them by the federal government. I am yet to hear of any other realistic alternative for the Igbo people at that time.
Igbos turned against Ojukwu for many reasons:
1. Igbo people are allergic to institutionalized personality worship, they have no kings among them.
2. Ojukwu had his own personal limitations.
3. Ojukwu was never elected to lead Igbos, but assumed that office as the military governor of the east
4. Like every party that looses a war, there're always a lot of finger pointing.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by meexteriox(m): 1:19pm On Mar 25, 2009
9jaganja:

By my simple calculation, you were probably born in early nineties, hmmmmmmmmmm, no wonder.
That is not an excuse for your intellectual and historical malnutrition, stagnation and atrophy.
You should endeavour to read historical literatures, because they abound. Without opening that hole you call mouth,
you have already taken side. Nigerians have refused to accept that events leading to the war proper was simply
genocide, massacre of the highest order.
So many enlightened individuals have continually painted the right picture for your likes, but you have simply sworn
to miss the bus to truth, that's your own palaver. The best i can do is to avail you books you ought to read in order to
salvage your lost soul from the torment of ignorance.

WHY WE STRUCK (The story of the first Nigeria coup) - Adewale Ademoyega
BECAUSE I AM INVOLVED - Ojukwu Odumegwu
NIGERIA: THE CHALLENGE OF BIAFRA - Nwankwo Arthur
THE PRINCIPLES OF BIAFRA REVOLUTION - Ojukwu Odumegwu
LET TRUTH BE TOLD: THE COUP D'ETAT OF 1966 - Muffet D.J.M
NZEOGWU - Olusegun Obasanjo
ETHNIC POLITICS IN NIGERIA - Okwudibia Nnoli
AHIARA DECLARATION, OFFICIAL GOVERNMENT PUBLICATION ON BIAFRAN CIVIL WAR - Ojukwu Odumegwu
BIAFRA: RANDOM THOUGHTS - Ojukwu Odumegwu

There are so many documented literatures by active participants, all you needed to do since you were born
23 years after the war was to do a little research before making utterance that could easily betray you or expose
your ineptitude.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by onyengbu1(m): 9:18pm On Mar 25, 2009
9jaganja:

imagine a 'pupil' coming here to comment on biafra war too.

I have been wondering who is the slowpoke with that stupid name, 9jaganja .

My bad, you are not an slowpoke, you only have some growing to do.

Hope your mum is aware you are using the internet.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Nobody: 1:57am On Mar 26, 2009
Hey u guys shld stop accusin yoselves like small children pls. Lets grow up, we are here to learn and inculcate wisdom, nt d other way round plz. It sucks wen some ppl type in CAPS. sad
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by plcgroup: 6:31pm On Mar 26, 2009
Victor Banjo - Every true leader has nothing to do with a Sabatuer in time of war.  Ojukwu acted as a true leader to save his people from these sabatuers (Banjo, Ifeajuna etc) who were leading innocent and brave young Biafran soldiers to war fronts to get them killed.  That was why Banjo was killed and no other reason.

Banjo was using Biafra to win favour from the Federal Government led by Gowon.  This he did by making sure that Federal troops were fed with enough information to deal with Biafran Soldiers.  Awolowo starvation strategy was no different.  He was second Awolowo. Let us stop blaming Ojukwu.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Governor Aregbesola Meets Kanu Nwankwo Aka Papilo / Imo: Ihedioha Asks Supreme Court To Sack Uzodinma / El-rufai - Buhari Has Nothing To Offer, He Should Retire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.