Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,237 members, 7,829,431 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:46 AM

The Victor Banjo Story - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Victor Banjo Story (24989 Views)

The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero / Honorable Kemi Banjo (Alatika): 'Tasted, Trusted & Reliable' / Ojukwu Killed Lt. Col. Banjo: Why? I Need to get to the root of this matter... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by supereagle(m): 11:25am On Apr 09, 2010
@PLC
Victor Banjo - Every true leader has nothing to do with a Sabatuer in time of war. Ojukwu acted as a true leader to save his people from these sabatuers (Banjo, Ifeajuna etc) who were leading innocent and brave young Biafran soldiers to war fronts to get them killed. That was why Banjo was killed and no other reason.

Banjo was using Biafra to win favour from the Federal Government led by Gowon. This he did by making sure that Federal troops were fed with enough information to deal with Biafran Soldiers. Awolowo starvation strategy was no different. He was second Awolowo. Let us stop blaming Ojukwu.

Ojukwu caused Indigbo to lose that War. He killed the brave men so that they would not topple him. His judgement day is coming.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Justcash(m): 11:41am On Apr 09, 2010
The answers to this Topic has been about Igbos , hausas, Yorubas against themselves, and Some one will wake up in the Morning to tell me that Nigeria will ever be one? When Northerners and westerners are rejoicing about committing a genocide, based on certain perceptions and Igbos are seen as rebels rather than victims.
This is an evidence that no real change can ever come to Nigeria untill the truth is said.

One of the most productive tribes in Nigeria is being laughed at for being victims, how do you expect any meaningful contribution from them?

@Poster: Is the answer to your question not simple? What is the implication of sabortaging a serious military operation? Is it not death? How did they get to Ore if they were not strong enough?
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by metalgong5(m): 12:04pm On Apr 09, 2010
supereagle:

@PLC
Ojukwu caused Indigbo to lose that War. He killed the brave men so that they would not topple him. His judgement day is coming.

Idio.t!! I think you should be more concerned about your judgement day and that of your spineless Yoruba brothers who have the same fate like that of Awolowo who is burning in hell for the war crimes he commited .
As you can see, Ojukwu is almost eighty years old and his bones are still strong as the rock of gibraltar . . . It is a clear manifestation of God's blessings on a man who has always been on the right side of history.

1 Like

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by ogajim(m): 1:56pm On Apr 09, 2010
Justcash:

The answers to this Topic has been about Igbos , hausas, Yorubas against themselves, and Some one will wake up in the Morning to tell me that Nigeria will ever be one? [b]When Northerners and westerners are rejoicing about committing a genocide, based on certain perceptions and Igbos are seen as rebels rather than victims.
This is an evidence that no real change can ever come to Nigeria untill the truth is said.

One of the most productive tribes in Nigeria is being laughed at for being victims, how do you expect any meaningful contribution from them?

@Poster: Is the answer to your question not simple? What is the implication of sabortaging a serious military operation? Is it not death? How did they get to Ore if they were not strong enough?[/b]

What were the Ibos doing when Hausa, Yoruba and Mid West folks were killed in the first coup? Did an Ibo become head of state after that? Were the Ibo wives in the barracks making fun of the Hausa wives?Why were the Eastern politicians and officers spared?

They got to Ore because the Ibo officers and their mid western ibo officers in Benin left everything for them (assist is what they call it in Basketball)
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Onlytruth(m): 6:25pm On Apr 09, 2010
@ Azuka.O

You sound new to nairaland. Believe me we've been through this same issue multiple times here and the same folks from the west always justified the killing of innocent Igbo children both in the pogrom and the civil war itself.

Because they lack real rationale for their support of the evil acts, they always sound like a broken record (by implication): Igbos killed northerners and others first (at my count, about 12 politicians), therefore one dead corrupt politician from the north and west is equal to 5000 dead Igbo civilians and children, leading to 50,000 dead Igbo.
In their warped mindset, Igbo had to be dealt with enough for them not to retaliate! Do these people understand anything about human mind at all? 

To be honest, I think the Hausa is more understanding and sophisticated than the Yoruba on this issue. They know that there can never be peace in Nigeria until the Igbo is assuaged. Guess who tried most to marginalize the Igbo in the political leadership and standing in Nigeria? It wasn't a northerner. It was Obasanjo! Under him, Ndigbo could only be the deputy senate president. I believe the Yoruba is the main enemy politically speaking in Nigeria. So don't be shocked by views from people like Biina and his kid brother called bk/babe97 whose Igbo father fled after impregnating his mother, so now he lives to hate Igbo people.

Nigeria is such a funny country! Mind you, same people are today calling for "revolution", "restructuring", "true federalism", "national conference" and all other similar terms .
I cannot laugh again.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by biina: 7:17pm On Apr 09, 2010
Azuka.O:

The military was not in govt between 1960 and Jan 1966, so I don't know why u brought this up. The casualties of the first coup were mainly civilian rulers because it was a civilian govt. The casualties of the 2nd coup were mainly military rulers because the military was in power. So pls let's not argue on technicalities, since this is not a law court.

You said: "It is typical that retaliations are worse than the initial attack. The north tried to make sure that there would no reprisals from the igbos.".  That is why I said you were trying to justify the senseles and systematic murder of innocent Igbo civilians, an attempt to eliminate an entire race. As I said, pray such fate does not befall you in future.

I said that the killing of non-Igbo leaders in the Jan 1966 coup was not good at all. But the North retaliated in July by killing the head of state (Igbo) and other Igbos in govt. That was not enough. The murderous gang went after helpless children, women and men and sought to wipe out a race and you tell me that you know where the North is coming from on that. Tufia! I will never support evil.

Dimka from the Middle-Belt killed Murtala Mohammed in the 1976 coup. Why didn't the North go from house to house to wipe out the Middle-Belters? Orkar/Ogboru carved out the North from Nigeria and attempted to kill Babangida in the 1990 coup, why didn't the North retaliate by wiping out the Middle-Belt and Bendel (there was no Delta then) people?

When a Danish cartoonist made a caricature of Prophet Mohammed, what was the connection with the killing of Igbos in the North? Did Igbos descend from Denmark? Or was the mother of the cartoonist an Igbo woman?

For several decades the Igbos have been targetted for elimination in the North for no just cause. Today it is happening to the Jos people. Tomorrow it may happen to you. What I expect from people like you who have the advantage of going to school and seeing the light is to condemn any act of injustice wherever you see it. When Abiola was denied his mandate, I shouted in my corner and through the media that it was an injustice. When Obasanjo wanted to mess up his VP Atiku, I shouted that it was wrong and unjust. When Ribadu was treated like a common thief by Yar'Adua, I shouted too. When Jos children and women were murdered some weeks ago, I shouted; I was horrified, even though the Jos people participated in the killing of Igbos in 1966/67. It does not matter if the victim is your enemy; once you see injustice anywhere, condemn it in its entirely. Few guys like Soyinka raised their voices and wanted the ugly descent into anarchy to stop but were imprisoned.

The mass murder of Igbos in the North in their thousands was the main reason Igbos felt they were not wanted in Nigeria. And Igbos also felt very disappointed that other Nigerians (from the West, Mid-West and present-day South-South) kept quiet and even tacitly gave their support while they were being eliminated by Northerners. 40 years after that ugly incident, the least any right-thinking person can do is to acknowledge that the massacre of Igbo civilians in 1966/67 was completely and inexcusably wrong and unwarranted. There should be no iota of justification for that senseless act whatsoever.

Is this suppose to be a game with pre-defined and accepted rules? undecided There was a coup in which Northerners (both civilian and military) were the main victims. The north retaliated, be it at a more aggravated level and you are now playing the victim card. Why dont you suggest that the same exact number of people should have been killed?  undecided You are the one that is talking technicalities.

I have said already that I was not trying to justify nor approve the pogrom, but it would be disingenuous to condemn the north solely, when they were the victims up to the counter coup. You can accuse the north of over^10 reacting, but you cannot accuse them of firing the first salvo. If the father of A kills the father of B, and B kills A, his father, and the entire A family of A, I dont not approve of B's action but I can appreciate where he is coming from, cos A started it.

As to the case of dimka, he was summarily executed a few weeks after his aborted coup, and the likes of Danjuma didnt harbor him. Same applies to Orkar etc. Ironsi did no such thing. If Ironsi had executed Nzeogwu & co, it would have gone a long way to pacify thought that it was an 'Igbo coup'. Since the events of 1966, there has been no love lost between the north and the Igbos. Subsequent actions are just a continuation of it.

The Jos events didnt start with the recent attacks and have been ongoing for a while. It is disingenuous to sample just the last event in isolation.

It is often Igbos that have a colored definition of justice, and never see anything wrong in the decision and/or actions of their kinsmen. We are in such a bad state as a nation because several of our leaders from the different parts of the country were bad and selfish, but some posters would like us to see Ojukwu as a flawless leader, Ironsi as being innocent and Ifeajuna and co as heroes, while the north are responsible for all Nigeria's problems. Thats simply BS. There is enough blame to go around all the tribes.

1 Like

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by biina: 7:30pm On Apr 09, 2010
Onlytruth:

@ Azuka.O

You sound new to nairaland. Believe me we've been through this same issue multiple times here and the same folks from the west always justified the killing of innocent Igbo children both in the pogrom and the civil war itself.

Because they lack real rationale for their support of the evil acts, they always sound like a broken record (by implication): Igbos killed northerners and others first (at my count, about 12 politicians), therefore one dead corrupt politician from the north and west is equal to 5000 dead Igbo civilians and children, leading to 50,000 dead Igbo.
In their warped mindset, Igbo had to be dealt with enough for them not to retaliate! Do these people understand anything about human mind at all? 
You paint a picture of if the 50,000 igbos were killed the morning after the coup
1. There was a coup in which several northern leaders were killed by an Igbo dominated group
2. The igbo senate president handed over power (unconstitutionally) to an igbo military officer
3. the coup plotters were never prosecuted talk less of being punished
so what is your defence that it was not an 'Igbo affair'. 
Do you think the north were going to fold their hands and wait till the Igbos were ready to pity them?
You cannot claim to be the innocent victim. All parties are guilty.

To be honest, I think the Hausa is more understanding and sophisticated than the Yoruba on this issue. They know that there can never be peace in Nigeria until the Igbo is assuaged. Guess who tried most to marginalize the Igbo in the political leadership and standing in Nigeria? It wasn't a northerner. It was Obasanjo! Under him, Ndigbo could only be the deputy senate president. I believe the Yoruba is the main enemy politically speaking in Nigeria. So don't be shocked by views from people like Biina and his  kid brother called bk/babe97 whose Igbo father fled after impregnating his mother, so now he lives to hate Igbo people.
deputy senate president? undecided typical lies and trying to rewrite history.
So where were Enwerem and Okadigbo from and why were they removed? undecided

Nigeria is such a funny country! Mind you, same people are today calling for "revolution", "restructuring", "true federalism", "national conference" and all other similar terms .
I cannot laugh again.
Its people like you that hold Nigeria back with your tribalism
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by superboi(m): 8:07pm On Apr 09, 2010
While i hate commenting on all this tribal treads and think that anybody asking for a fair war is c, razy,I think what ignited the killing in the north in 1966 was the song the Igbos were singing after the 1st coup(something about a slaugthered cow/ram crying meei-meei,(refering to the hausa)sang in igbo)in the north,i bet if the suituation was reversed and the hausas did the 1st coup and sang similar songs in Aba or Onitsha and they were 100,000 hausa men there the same thing(pogrom,massacre,genocide or watever u call it)would have taken place in the east knowing the way the world was in 1966.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Onlytruth(m): 8:50pm On Apr 09, 2010
superboi:

While i hate commenting on all this tribal treads and think that anybody asking for a fair war is c, razy,I think what ignited the killing in the north in 1966 was the song the Igbos were singing after the 1st coup(something about a slaugthered cow/ram crying meei-meei,(refering to the hausa)sang in igbo)in the north,i bet if the suituation was reversed and the hausas did the 1st coup and sang similar songs in Aba or Onitsha and they were 100,000 hausa men there the same thing(pogrom,massacre,genocide or watever u call it)would have taken place in the east knowing the way the world was in 1966.

The Igbo believed in Nigeria in 1966 and so could never have embarked on a genocide against northerners living in the east at that time. Even Ojukwu opened up a free passage to all northern army personnel living in the east and allowed them to return to the north with their arms, something Gowon never allowed easterners to do. Gowon disarmed all eastern officers returning to the east.

If you are talking of today (when our eyes have opened to Nigeria's genocidal tendencies) you might have a point. 
There has never been a time in Nigeria's history that Igbos embarked on a killing spree on foreigners living in Igboland, except currently when we have learned to retaliate in kind -genocide for genocide- not genocide for coup.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Onlytruth(m): 9:01pm On Apr 09, 2010
biina:

deputy senate president? undecided typical lies and trying to rewrite history.
So where were Enwerem and Okadigbo from and why were they removed? undecided
Its people like you that hold Nigeria back with your tribalism

The Senate presidency controlled by Igbo in the 1999-2003 dispensation was actually negotiated by the northern controlled government of Adulsalami Abubakar and was the same arrangement that produced Obasanjo. So don't credit that to Obasanjo!
As soon as Obasanjo took over, he started killing people all over the country (including Bola Ige from the same west), and did everything he could to undermine the Chuba Okadigbo's leadership of the Senate. As soon as Obasanjo settled in, he launched a war against Igbo leadership of the Senate and anyone who stood against him was neutralized.
When he "won" (actually stole it undecided) a re-election in 2003, he continued. When he was severally called out by the Igbo, he played a "God father" on Igbo by ensuring Igbo was completely schemed out in the new government of Yar adua.
You guys must think Igbo people are blind to these things. I'm glad that it was an Igbo Senate president -Ken Nnamani that killed Obasanjo's third (and life term) project. That muderfkcer will meet his waterloo soon. cool
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by biina: 9:10pm On Apr 09, 2010
Also irking to the northerners was, subsequent to the january coup, the photograph of the sardauna laying prone with his head under Nzeogwu boot, allegedly displayed by some Igbos in Kano.

From Major General Oluleye, 2nd in command of the 5th Battalion in Kano

A carefully orchestrated political violence erupted in Kano and spread to Katsina, Funtua, Sokoto, Maiduguru, and other places in a sporadic manner. The 5th battalion became extremely stretched in curbing the disturbances. Every Igbo person paraded himself as ironsi. Unwittingly, the Igbos displayed the photograph of Sir Ahmadu Bello, the Sardauna of Sokoto, in a prone positrion with his head under the jungle boot of major Nezeowu. It was displayed in homesand shops of the Igbos. Whee people did not notice the photograph; the would invite their attention to it. To the Nolrtherners they usually said, you see your papa under the foot of Nzeogwu.The intensity of the operations agaisnst the Igbos in the north was thus precipitated and accentuated by the Igbos themselves. The northerners planned dutifully as the Igbos continued to behave unchecked. The result was catastrophic. Most of the supreme commander's advisers, official and unofficial, were Igbonization-oriented and consequently their pieces of advise even through commissions were directed towards the selected aim which was far from being in the national interest
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by biina: 9:15pm On Apr 09, 2010
Onlytruth:

The Senate presidency controlled by Igbo in the 1999-2003 dispensation was actually negotiated by the northern controlled government of Adulsalami Abubakar and was the same arrangement that produced Obasanjo. So don't credit that to Obasanjo!
As soon as Obasanjo took over, he started killing people all over the country (including Bola Ige from the same west), and did everything he could to undermine the Chuba Okadigbo's leadership of the Senate. As soon as Obasanjo settled in, he launched a war against Igbo leadership of the Senate and anyone who stood against him was neutralized.
When he "won" (actually stole it undecided) a re-election in 2003, he continued. When he was severally called out by the Igbo, he played a "God father" on Igbo by ensuring Igbo was completely schemed out in the new government of Yar adua.
You guys must think Igbo people are blind to these things. I'm glad that it was an Igbo Senate president -Ken Nnamani that killed Obasanjo's third (and life term) project. That muderfkcer will meet his waterloo soon. cool
You didnt answer the question of why they were removed? undecided
what about ken Nnamani, how did he become senate president under Obasanjos watch? undecided
Obasanjo must dislike Igbos so much that he made Soludo CBN governor and iweala minister of finance undecided
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by bkbabe97: 9:21pm On Apr 09, 2010
^^^Biiina, ur wasting ur time!!! For a long time (23years of my life) Ibos were the only Nigerians I knew. They have a propensity for stretching the truth, turning white to gray or to any color they deem fit. let them be. Pieces of ish!!!!
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Onlytruth(m): 9:26pm On Apr 09, 2010
biina:

what about ken Nnamani, how did he become senate president under Obasanjos watch? undecided

Obasanjo couldn't change the zoning formula of the PDP then. He was a beneficiary of that zoning and knew that changing it could undermine his own presidency. That is what those who are kicking against the PDP zoning today don't understand.
So OBASANJO HAD NO CHOICE THEN.

Obasanjo must dislike Igbos so much that he made Soludo CBN governor and iweala minister of finance undecided

Obasanjo is the most selfish Nigerian leader ever. He appointed those people out of his desire to achieve something which could sell his life presidency schemes. He had no choice than to pick the BEST the country had.
He is a narcissistic fellow.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Katsumoto: 9:32pm On Apr 09, 2010
biina:

Biina

OnlyTruth has his mind set on an end result; he will bend his logic to ensure that he arrives at that conclusion. He will criticise the actions of non-igbo leaders but never scrutinise the actions of Igbo leaders. In his mind, Nigeria is in the mess it is in today because of the actions of non-Igbo leaders. Debating with him can sometimes be analogous to banging one's head against a wall.

BTW, You forgot to mention Dora, Ezekwelisi and a host of others.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Onlytruth(m): 9:41pm On Apr 09, 2010
^^^

Enter the great Katsumoto! lol! grin

1 Like

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Onlytruth(m): 9:47pm On Apr 09, 2010
Anyway, for the records, I don't bend facts. What I don't accept is marchiavellianism. If Gowon stopped the killings in the north (after the third wave of massacre against Igbos), the conflict could never have reached the civil war stage. There was a lot of restraint by eastern leadership then. The lie is that Ojukwu simply rushed off and declared Biafra after Gowon took over. There were series of events that preceded Biafra. The liars are those who discount those events.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by olafolarin(m): 10:03pm On Apr 09, 2010
After the January 15 Coup there was widespread PROVOCATION by Igbo-speaking southerners in the North:

While all of this was going on, complaints about "Igbo provocations", were increasing. Northerners filed reports about parties being called by their Igbo colleagues to celebrate what they called the "January Victory". Offensive photographs showing Major Nzeogwu standing on the late Sardauna of Sokoto were said to be distributed in the open including market places. Some Igbos were even alleged to have worn stickers to that effect and were eager, in conversations with northerners, to point to Nzeogwu saying 'Shi ne maganin ku", meaning "he is the one who can knock sense into you". Grammophone records with machine gun sounds were released, to remind Northerners, it is said, of the bullets that felled their leaders in January. Celestine Ukwu, a popular Igbo musician allegedly released a piece titled "Ewu Ne Ba Akwa" meaning "Goats are crying" in Igbo (although there is an account that claims that this song originated from a non-Igbo artiste from Rivers). Derogatory remarks about Northerners were reportedly commonplace, even in Army Barracks. To compound matters, resentment began building against Igbo traders who had allegedly raised the prices of their foodstuffs to match the increases in the West. All of these factors were shrewdly exploited by an unlikely coalition of disenfranchised politicians, petty contractors, marketing board and northern development corp debtors, civil servants and university students of northern origin fearful of future career prospects in the public service. As former President Shehu Shagari put it in his biography "Beckoned to Serve", …'From the northern viewpoint, the implications of all this in terms of distribution of power, the allocation of public resources and amenities, the prospect of Igbo and southern domination, and the threat to mainstream northern ways of life were unmistakable.' Opposition to unification in particular was spearheaded by northern students and civil servants.

After all these direct provocaions,Retaliation is not just doubtful but mandatory,
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by biina: 10:08pm On Apr 09, 2010
Onlytruth:

Anyway, for the records, I don't bend facts. What I don't accept is marchiavellianism. If Gowon stopped the killings in the north (after the third wave of massacre against Igbos), the conflict could never have reached the civil war stage. There was a lot of restraint by eastern leadership then. The lie is that Ojukwu simply rushed off and declared Biafra after Gowon took over. There were series of events that preceded Biafra. The liars are those who discount those events.
You bend facts and misrepresent the truth when you make it seem like if the Northerners woke up one morning, smacked their behinds, and decided to go on a killing spree of the 'innocent' Igbos. There were preceding events in which the Igbos were not innocent.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Onlytruth(m): 10:13pm On Apr 09, 2010
biina:

You bend facts and misrepresent the truth when you make it seem like if the Northerners woke up one morning, smacked their behinds, and decided to go on a killing spree of the 'innocent' Igbos. There were preceding events in which the Igbos were not innocent.

I have some questions for you on that: Was that the first time northerners embarked on a killing spree of Igbos in the north? Was 1966 even the third time?
And after 1966 has there not been countless killing of Igbos in the north?

When you have answered these questions, the lying party here becomes obvious!  undecided
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Onlytruth(m): 10:15pm On Apr 09, 2010
@biina

The killing of Igbos in the north is only just waning after Igbos (1) started fighting back right there in the north and (2) started retaliating in the east.

But, answer my question first.  cool
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by biina: 10:23pm On Apr 09, 2010
Onlytruth:

I have some questions for you on that: Was that the first time northerners embarked on a killing spree of Igbos in the north? Was 1966 even the third time?
And after 1966 has there not been countless killing of Igbos in the north?

When you have answered these questions, the lying party here becomes obvious!  undecided
If you have evidence to the contrary please share undecided
You can start with 1953 riots (or 1945 if you want to go further back)
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Onlytruth(m): 11:09pm On Apr 09, 2010
biina:

If you have evidence to the contrary please share undecided
You can start with 1953 riots (or 1945 if you want to go further back)

You expect me to answer that when you refused to answer my question? I am not your teacher. If you don't know the answer to that then why are you here arguing? undecided
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by biina: 11:15pm On Apr 09, 2010
Onlytruth:

You expect me to answer that when you refused to answer my question? I am not your teacher. If you don't know the answer to that then why are you here arguing? undecided
Seems you struggle with English comprehension. I have already given my answer in the previous post.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Onlytruth(m): 11:18pm On Apr 09, 2010
biina:

Seems you struggle with English comprehension. I have already given my answer in the previous post.

Yea, I understand Igbo better.  cool

[size=14pt]Was 1966 the first time Igbo were killed in the north?[/size]

Back to school.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by biina: 11:28pm On Apr 09, 2010
Onlytruth:

Yea, I understand Igbo better.  cool
Was 1966 the first time Igbo were killed in the north?

Back to school.
unfortunately I dont speak fluent Igbo undecided
If you have a point to make, proceed, else stop wasting bandwidth and storage space.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by bkbabe97: 11:41pm On Apr 09, 2010
olafolarin:

After the January 15 Coup there was widespread PROVOCATION by Igbo-speaking southerners in the North:

While all of this was going on, complaints about "Igbo provocations", were increasing. Northerners filed reports about parties being called by their Igbo colleagues to celebrate what they called the "January Victory". Offensive photographs showing Major Nzeogwu standing on the late Sardauna of Sokoto were said to be distributed in the open including market places. Some Igbos were even alleged to have worn stickers to that effect and were eager, in conversations with northerners, to point to Nzeogwu saying 'Shi ne maganin ku", meaning "he is the one who can knock sense into you". Grammophone records with machine gun sounds were released, to remind Northerners, it is said, of the bullets that felled their leaders in January. Celestine Ukwu, a popular Igbo musician allegedly released a piece titled "Ewu Ne Ba Akwa" meaning "Goats are crying" in Igbo (although there is an account that claims that this song originated from a non-Igbo artiste from Rivers). Derogatory remarks about Northerners were reportedly commonplace, even in Army Barracks. To compound matters, resentment began building against Igbo traders who had allegedly raised the prices of their foodstuffs to match the increases in the West. All of these factors were shrewdly exploited by an unlikely coalition of disenfranchised politicians, petty contractors, marketing board and northern development corp debtors, civil servants and university students of northern origin fearful of future career prospects in the public service. As former President Shehu Shagari put it in his biography "Beckoned to Serve", …'From the northern viewpoint, the implications of all this in terms of distribution of power, the allocation of public resources and amenities, the prospect of Igbo and southern domination, and the threat to mainstream northern ways of life were unmistakable.' Opposition to unification in particular was spearheaded by northern students and civil servants.

After all these direct provocaions,Retaliation is not just doubtful but mandatory,

^^^ And Yall expected the Northerners not to take revenge!!! Funck u, liars!!!lol
Onlytruth:

1.If yall had never executed the coup and killed off a buncha non-ibos yall woulda never been slaughtered!!!

2. The truth is that Ojukwu violated the Aburi accord and rushed off and declared Biafra, backed by a rag-tag, hungry, Ill-equipped Army!!! The greedy old fool!!! it is documented both in Ghana and in Nigeria. What, the Ghanians hate yall too? How about Mobolaji Johson who is of the Yourba tribe? what did he have to gain/lose by telling the truth?!! When will the iBos see the truth for what it is? read link below, my good fellow!!!

http://www.nigeriansinamerica.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15909
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by 006(m): 12:20am On Apr 10, 2010
It amazes me how some people are trying to justify genocide. My friends, genocide is genocide and there’s no justification for it unless you’re evil.
It’s left between you and your god.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by AzukaO(m): 9:55am On Apr 10, 2010
Onlytruth:

Yea, I understand Igbo better. cool

[size=14pt]Was 1966 the first time Igbo were killed in the north?[/size]

Back to school.

@ Biina and Bk, kindly answer this question posed above truthfully. You can see from my posts that I don't curse or attack any ethnic group. I just want us to understand each other and learn from the past.

Let us assume that after the Jan 1966 coup Igbos provoked the North so grieviously that it was mandatory, as you said above, to retaliate and attempt to wipe them out. I asked in my former post: "When a Danish cartoonist made a caricature of Prophet Mohammed, what was the connection with the killing of Igbos in the North? Did Igbos descend from Denmark? Or was the mother of the cartoonist an Igbo woman?" Pls answer this question too. Did the Igbos provoke and ridicule the Northerners too to be attacked because of a Danish cartoonist?

I believe you are honorable men. So I am waiting for your truthful answer.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by biina: 10:30am On Apr 10, 2010
Azuka.O:

@ Biina and Bk, kindly answer this question posed above truthfully. You can see from my posts that I don't curse or attack any ethnic group. I just want us to understand each other and learn from the past.

Let us assume that  after the Jan 1966 coup Igbos provoked the North so grieviously that it was mandatory, as you said above, to retaliate and attempt to wipe them out. I asked in my former post: "When a Danish cartoonist made a caricature of Prophet Mohammed, what was the connection with the killing of Igbos in the North? Did Igbos descend from Denmark? Or was the mother of the cartoonist an Igbo woman?" Pls answer this question too. Did the Igbos provoke and ridicule the Northerners too to be attacked because of a Danish cartoonist?

I believe you are honorable men. So I am waiting for your truthful answer.

I have already answered the question (which initially was defined by 'killing spree') and given him pointers to two earlier conflicts in the north (jos and kano) involving Igbos. If he has a relevant point to make. he should do so and not ask rhetoric questions.

At no point did I say it was mandatory for the north to retaliate, but simply said I understood where they were coming from. For example, the northerners hold their leaders in almost god like status, particularly members of the Sokoto caliphate which included the Sardauna (crowned prince) Ahmadu Bello. It was this factor that precipitated the 1953 riots after the northern leader were embarrassed and ridicules in lagos for not supporting the motion for independence by 1960, and the Akintola led AG/NCNC team went to the north to campaign for self governance.

The danish cartoon were religiously motivated, and that the northerners are predominantly Muslims while the Igbos are predominantly Christians, simply added the ethnic coloration that some needed to paint the issue as being tribal (same as they did with the 1966 coup). The violence over the cartoons was not limited to Nigeria, but also occurred in other countries including Libya and Pakistan. There were peaceful demonstration in London as well.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by AzukaO(m): 10:51am On Apr 10, 2010
I wish to state that I don't believe Obasanjo discriminated against the Igbos. He gave some key positions to Igbos - Finance, NCC, CBN, NAFDAC, Info etc. I am also proud that the most successful in the Obasanjo administration were Igbos: Okonjo-Iweala, Akunyili (NAFDAC), Ndukwe (NCC), Soludo (CBN). The other two perfoming guys in his tenure were Northerners - El-Rufai and Ribadu. We may have issues with these guys but the truth was that they stood out by getting some results.

Obasanjo was not against Igbos - it was just that he failed in several areas where he could have succeeded. Just like he abandoned Eastern roads, he could not even tar the Otta road that led to his home nor any road in Lagos.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Nobody: 10:57am On Apr 10, 2010
bk/babe1997
The truth is that Ojukwu   rushed off and declared Biafra, backed by a rag-tag, , Ill-equipped Army!

You Ms Blina and Azuka are going off on a tangent by discussing the ethnic bloodletting of 1966. That is not what this thread is about.

What it is about is the precipitate decision of Ojukwu to declare war despite being militarily unprepared and without exhausting political alternatinves with the FGN and without the diplomatic support of the major world powers.

The Banjo military expedition to the South-West was sent even without heavy armour or artillery. Yes he was able to take the MidWest but that was only because that state had already been declared a demilitarised zone.
With these facts and the political lukewarmness of the January 1966 plotters towards the whole seccessionist idea it should be no surprise to anyone that Banjo stopped at Ore.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Woman And Her Child Survive Herdsmen Attack After Family Was Killed.Graphic Pics / Dino Melaye Reacts To Assassination Attempt On Ekweremadu / 3 Nasarawa Lawmakers Escape Death As Gunmen Fire At Official Vehicle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.