Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,466 members, 7,830,344 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

The Victor Banjo Story - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Victor Banjo Story (24994 Views)

The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero / Honorable Kemi Banjo (Alatika): 'Tasted, Trusted & Reliable' / Ojukwu Killed Lt. Col. Banjo: Why? I Need to get to the root of this matter... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by DrummaBoy(m): 1:07pm On Nov 09, 2011
A Historial thread turned tribal war of words: typical of nlanders!
Most are yet to answer the OP questions.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by DejiYesufu(m): 5:27pm On Nov 09, 2011
Well I guess with that long treastice from denn, much of my questions are ansd and an end to all argument have come.
Thanks for that, man.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by nolongtin(m): 10:32pm On Nov 09, 2011
educative,
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by kinisoo1: 11:02pm On Nov 09, 2011
HEARD HE WANTED TO MURDER GOWON AND OJUKWU, THEN BECOMING HEAD OF STATE HIMSELF!!! shocked
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by DejiYesufu(m): 10:10am On Nov 10, 2011
kinisoo?:

HEARD HE WANTED TO MURDER GOWON AND OJUKWU, THEN BECOMING HEAD OF STATE HIMSELF!!! shocked

A lot will be done to your mis-information and prejudice if you will take the time to read all 5 pages of the thread, especially the long discuss supplied us by Denn.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by DrummaBoy(m): 2:23pm On Nov 11, 2011
I thought this letter from Ojukwu to Banjo may shed some light on the Victor Banjo story. Culled from https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-547151.0.html

I guess Awo made him write this letter as well, stating clearly what his intentions were for Yorubaland.

Please enjoy, from the most devious Emperor Yorubaland never had.

LETTER FROM LT.COL. OJUKWU TO LT. COL.BANJO
22nd AUGUST 1967

Republic of Biafra Enugu,

22nd August, 1967.

My dear Victor,

1. For some time now, you and I have been discussing the circumstances that have led to the current and inevitable disintegration of what was the Federation of Nigeria. We have been fully convinced that the aim of the Hausa/Fulani complex has ever been, and will ever remain, the total domination of every other part of what was known as the Federation of Nigeria. It is impossible to forget that the crisis which led to the army take over in January 1966, the coup of the Northern soldiers led by Gowon in July 1966, the wholesale and indiscriminate massacre of the people of what is now Biafra- and, to a less degree, the people of the Mid-West and West, including the Yorubas, were all the direct result of Hausa/Fulani attempt to subjugate and use as tools, the gallant people of Western Nigeria namely the Yorubas. We do not need to remind ourselves of the heavy losses in life and property suffered by the Yoruba people in their fight for justice and freedom during 1965.

2. Sharing.our belief that the people of Yorubaland have a right to live a life of equality and self-respect and justice free of domination and dictatorship from any quarter, you have both identified with the cause of the Biafra struggle for survival and expressed your determination to see the people of Yorubaland freed from Hausa/Fulani domination.

We, the people of Biafra, for our part are willing and have decided to give you and the people of Yorubaland every assistance to achieve your aim.

3. After clearing the whole question with my Executive Council, I, as the Commander in Chief of the Biafran Armed Forces, have decided to place at your disposal Biafran forces, for the liberation of

Yorubaland on the following clear conditions:-

(i) You will have nothing to do with the Military Administrator in the Mid-West Territory during your sojourn there prior to your move to the West.

(ii) The willingness and preparedness of Biafra to assist any part of the former Federation of Nigeria wishing and willing to liberate itself from the Hausa/Fulani domination, does not in anyway whatever

imply any inclination on her part to compromise her sovereignty or preserve what remains of the defunct Federation of Nigeria. In other words, our sovereignty and break with Nigeria is irrevocable. Nothing must, therefore be said or done by you or any member of the Liberation Army to give a contrary impression.

(iii) Biafra is determined to maintain and safeguard her sovereignty and ensure that her integrity and safety are never again threatened.

(iv) Biafran troops will, after the liberation of the Yorubaland, remain in that territory only for as long as we in Biafra consider it necessary for the Yorubas to consolidate their position and sovereignty against any external threat.

(v) On the liberation of the Yorubaland, you will be appointed as the Military Governor of that territory.

(vi) The liberation of Western Nigeria will be a prelude to the liberation of all Yorubas up to the River Niger and the severance of all connections between the West and the North at Jebba.

(vii) During the period of Biafrans troops’ presence in your territory, all political measures, statements or decrees shall be subject to the approval, in writing by myself or on my authority.

(viii) Should our troops arrive and liberate Lagos, the government of the Republic of Biafra reserves the right to appoint a Military administrator for the territory. Such an Administrator will remain in office until a merger of that territory with Yorubaland is effected by Biafran troops.

(ix) As soon as possible after your appointment as the Military Governor of Western Nigeria and separation of that territory from Nigeria, you and I must meet to discuss:

(a) the duration of stay of Biafran troops in your territory;

(b) the areas and subjects of cooperation between the liberated sovereign states of Western Nigeria, or by what name it may call itself, and Biafra.

4. I do not need to remind you that Biafra regards all Yoruba as friends. As such everything should be done, to ensure the minimum force and loss of life are involved in achieving the objective of liberation.

5. It is essential, in order to avoid misunderstanding or confusion, that all subsequent requests for support be formally made to me by you in writing.

6. Will you please signify in writing, your acceptance of the above conditions so that you may leave for Western Nigeria and lead the army of liberation.

Yours very sincerely,

signed Lt. Col. Odumegwu Ojukwu,

Military Governor and Commander in Chief of Biafran Armed Forces.

1 Like

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Midas02(m): 6:17am On Nov 19, 2011
Dede1,

I understand your prejudiced igbo sentiments and I also know that you are pro-biafra and all that ethnocentric nonsense! However you could at least endeavour to project supple intellect and common sense in your proclaimations - most of which are made without the benefit of facts or any truth-telling attributes! I have seen and read your posts in several threads related to the Nigerian Civil War and I have yet to see or hear you take a position of objectivity or demure to superior knowledge even when confronted with cold hard facts!!

It is certainly your right to hold whatever sentiments suits your skewered mentality however such inalienable rights should not be confused with the reality and facts of history. You cannot revisit history and skewer it to your prejudiced sentiments - that only makes you a wannabe historical revisionist just like I suspect many of your sources are!

Your illustrations, recounts and facts about 'Ore battle' are flat out wrong!! It is foolhardy and imbecilic for anyone to suggest that the advancement of the Biafrian rebels was mysteriously stopped and reversed because some Biafrian officer had a change of heart or because they were sabotaged by Col. Banjo who presumably had a bout of cowardice! This is a preposterous notion which has no merits! - a suggestion that is perhaps best described as asinine!!

THE BIAFRIAN ADVANCE WAS STOPPED COLD AT 'ORE' BECAUSE THE REBEL ARMY CAME ACROSS AND WERE CONFRONTED BY FIERCE RESISTANCE AND SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!! FROM THAT POINT ON, THE FEDERAL TROOPS STARTED PUSHING BACK ALL THE WAY UNTIL ENUGU WAS CAPTURED!

If you persist in this ignorant line of reasoning, I will be willing to provide you with cold hard facts AND dates! - because quite simply, the people who took biafran bullets in their body, who dug the battle trenches and fought with every ounce of courage in their body are still alive! And as a scion and an offspring of one of these very distinguished and great Nigerians, I WILL NOT SIT HERE AND ALLOW YOU TO DENIGRATE OR INSULT THEIR LEGACY AND SELFLESS SERVICE!!

If you say 'Iluyomade' was green and did not fight in Ore, , was it then your own father that did the fighting? Perhaps you should go back to your ancestral home and let them tell you the truth about the war and inform you about how defeat was handed over to them! THE WAR WAS FOUGHT AND THE WAR WAS WON! END OF STORY!!!! Let us move on.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Midas02(m): 6:36pm On Nov 19, 2011
I have no need to distort facts. You are right as my database came up with two Iluyomades in the army. I guess the one that fought in Ore was Captain Iluyomade with 4th Brigade of 2nd Division under Murtala Muhammed. Yet, he was a memeber of military police unit.

Again, there was no “Yoruba Army” that fought in Ore as to warrant the crap said about Afonja in respect to Ore saga. The 2nd Division of Nigeria was mostly populated by the Yoruba peeps that had also vehemently deduced they were in awkward position to muster a fight against the northern soldiers in Yoruba land.

Yet both 3MCDO and 2nd Division of Nigerian army were filled to the unit's strenght by Yoruba and southern Nigerian minority ethnic groups. You can not simply eat your cake and have it.
- Dede1

What utter nonsense??
There were indeed two Iluyomades in the army and they were brothers! The victory achieved in Ore battle was spear-headed and valiantly fought by (the then) captain R.O Iluyomade of the newly deployed 2nd Division of the Nigerian Army. The other Iluyomade (the elder) was a military police officer who was posted to Ibadan and was not in the war front.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Dede1(m): 9:09pm On Nov 19, 2011
Midas02:

- Dede1

What utter nonsense??
There were indeed two Iluyomades in the army and they were brothers! The victory achieved in Ore battle was spear-headed and valiantly fought by (the then) captain R.O Iluyomade of the newly deployed 2nd Division of the Nigerian Army. The other Iluyomade (the elder) was a military police officer who was posted to Ibadan and was not in the war front.

I did not want to honor your post with a reply but decided to clear the air. In my previous post, indication was made about two Iluyomade in Nigerian army at the moment. If there is any ethnic bias intended, I think you are the suspect.

I post my contributions without tilt. There had been two schools of thought about Yoruba and Nigeria/Biafra war both erected by propagandists of Yoruba extraction. In one instance, there was not enough Yoruba in uniform capable of telling Gowon and soldiers from northern region to leave western region in 1966. In another instance, there were many Yoruba peeps of all conquerors and leaders of men in battle. You can not eat your cake and have it.

I have told it to any Igbo person that Yoruba is number enemy of Ndigbo and Biafra as long as Nigeria/Biafra civil is concerned. By your own words, Lt Raphael Iluyoumade who was mere company commander spearheaded the battle at Ore in 1967. I wonder where such goofy stratum will place the likes of Akinriande, Taiwo, Alabi-Isama and Aisida who were brigade commanders under 2nd Division led by Murtula Mohammed with the debacle at Ore.

Where shall I start to debunk the lies and propaganda coming from western region of Nigeria about the crisis that led to Nigeria/Biafra civil war? There were such conjectures such as Fajuiyi wanted to die with Ironsi, the Igbo provocation such as “Ewu na Ebe akwa”, there was not enough Yoruba in uniform to tell Gowon to relocate to Kaduna if he, Gowon, insisted in declaring war against Biafra and Ojukwu started the war.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Uchek(m): 4:42am On Nov 20, 2011
Why are you guys splitting hairs. All this is irrelevant. Time and history has given an incontestable verdict on who was on the side of equity and justice and inequity and injustice during the Biafran War

Gowon ( a northern minority) led a Hausa-Fulani dominated Nigerian army and northerners to massacre mostly Ibos from East and finished it up in a brutal civil war. Today his tribe and his people are experiencing the same massacre and pogroms in the hands of the same Hausa-Fulani just as the Ibos. And the beauty of the wheel of justice is that no one will be punished just as non of the perpetrators of the pogrom was punished.

Awo (and the Yorubas) the most intelligent and well-informed  Yoruba who knew that, Nigeria was a "mere geographical expression" and the war was between the Biafrans and the Hausa-Fulani to nib in the bud Hausa-Fulani Fledgling domination of Nigeria, joined the Hausas against the Ibos and reaped momentary economic and political rewards, but died a disillutioned man and conspired his tribe to slavery and misgovernance.

Saro-wiwa [/b]who saw the Hausa during the war as their liberator from Ibo domination was killed by Abacha-his civil war buddy - not an igbo man. His tribe today are not only suffering from mismanagement of Nigeria, their homeland have been permanently destroyed by oil pollution.

[b]Enahoro
- the spokesman of Gowon during the war who declared that Biafran surrender was non-negotiable condition for the end of the war died an unhappy and sorrowful man. Ojukwu advocated for only 4 regions. Enahoro said NO. But during his last years alive, he advocated for Nigeria to be divided into 6 regions- 40 years after Ojukwu position.

Name them: All the folks that were against Ojukwu are all disillusioned, regretting or died frustrated with the Nigeria whom they fought for on behalf of the Hausa-fulani

The Middle-belt who fought the war for the Hausa-Fulani have been systematically wiped out in the military by the same Hausa-Fulani.

How about the Southern Minorities? Their oil blessings have become a curse.

And finally, the country unpatriotic Ojukwu sought to "destroy" is a fool at 51.

3 Likes

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by ak47mann(m): 4:51am On Nov 20, 2011
Uchek:

Why are you guys splitting hairs. All this is irrelevant. Time and history has given an incontestable verdict on who was on the side of equity and justice and inequity and injustice during the Biafran War

Gowon ( a northern minority) led a Hausa-Fulani dominated Nigerian army and northerners to massacre mostly Ibos from East and finished it up in a brutal civil war. Today his tribe and his people are experiencing the same massacre and pogroms in the hands of the same Hausa-Fulani just as the Ibos. And the beauty of the wheel of justice is that no one will be punished just as non of the perpetrators of the pogrom was punished.

Awo (and the Yorubas) the most intelligent and well-informed  Yoruba who knew that, Nigeria was a "mere geographical expression" and the war was between the Biafrans and the Hausa-Fulani to nib in the bud Hausa-Fulani Fledgling domination of Nigeria, joined the Hausas against the Ibos and reaped momentary economic and political rewards, but died a disillutioned man and conspired his tribe to slavery and misgovernance.

Saro-wiwa [/b]who saw the Hausa during the war as their liberator from Ibo domination was killed by Abacha-his civil war buddy - not an igbo man. His tribe today are not only suffering from mismanagement of Nigeria, their homeland have been permanently destroyed by oil pollution.

[b]Enahoro
- the spokesman of Gowon during the war who declared that Biafran surrender was non-negotiable condition for the end of the war died an unhappy and sorrowful man. Ojukwu advocated for only 4 regions. Enahoro said NO. But during his last years alive, he advocated for Nigeria to be divided into 6 regions- 40 years after Ojukwu position.

Name them: All the folks that were against Ojukwu are all disillusioned, regretting or died frustrated with the Nigeria whom they fought for on behalf of the Hausa-fulani

The Middle-belt who fought the war for the Hausa-Fulani have been systematically wiped out in the military by the same Hausa-Fulani.

And finally, the country unpatriotic Ojukwu sought to "destroy" is a fool at 51.
WORD cool cool
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Katsumoto: 8:00am On Nov 20, 2011
Uchek:

[b]Enahoro

Some of you folks are just plain dishonest and myopic. Do the Biafrans have a different fate to that of other Nigerians? Are there no problems in the East? What condition is Ojukwu in? Is he running around playing football like a teenager? No, he has grown frail and older like everyone else. What 4 regions did Ojukwu advocate for? The same Ojukwu that said the Igbo would export civil servants to other parts of Nigeria, in a manner similar to colonisation after Ifeajuna and Nzeogwu had killed leaders from other regions and Ironsi, another Igbo man, profited from the political logjam After that plan failed and was rejected by others, Ojukwu would then declare secession.

When you attempt to tell the story about Nigeria, don't start from where the Igbo became victims; make sure to start from the very beginning when every region had a chance to become independent but Zik chose Nigeria when he had the deciding vote. Also include that the same Zik voted against a secession clause being inserted into the Constitutioneven when he was warned by Awo. Don't forget to also tell the story about how young Igbo officers proceeded to murder political and military leaders from other regions in a move that even a daft 7 year old would interpret as ethnic and barbaric

Nigeria is not in a mess because the Igbos lost the civil war, Nigeria is in a mess because it was built on shaky foundations. If blame is to be apportioned, the Igbo would get a lion share. You continue to assume that others are fools.

Did a certain Biafran officer (who shall remain nameless for now) not utter these words to St. Jorre

“If you gave us the choice of 1000 rifles or milk for 50,000 starving children, we’d take the guns.”

This victim mentality is getting tiring.

1 Like

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Katsumoto: 8:13am On Nov 20, 2011
Dede1:

I did not want to honor your post with a reply but decided to clear the air. In my previous post, indication was made about two Iluyomade in Nigerian army at the moment. If there is any ethnic bias intended, I think you are the suspect.

I post my contributions without tilt. There had been two schools of thought about Yoruba and Nigeria/Biafra war both erected by propagandists of Yoruba extraction. In one instance, there was not enough Yoruba in uniform capable of telling Gowon and soldiers from northern region to leave western region in 1966. In another instance, there were many Yoruba peeps of all conquerors and leaders of men in battle. You can not eat your cake and have it.

I have told it to any Igbo person that Yoruba is number enemy of Ndigbo and Biafra as long as Nigeria/Biafra civil is concerned. By your own words, Lt Raphael Iluyoumade who was mere company commander spearheaded the battle at Ore in 1967. I wonder where such goofy stratum will place the likes of Akinriande, Taiwo, Alabi-Isama and Aisida who were brigade commanders under 2nd Division led by Murtula Mohammed with the debacle at Ore.

Where shall I start to debunk the lies and propaganda coming from western region of Nigeria about the crisis that led to Nigeria/Biafra civil war? There were such conjectures such as Fajuiyi wanted to die with Ironsi, the Igbo provocation such as “Ewu na Ebe akwa”, [b]there was not enough Yoruba in uniform to tell Gowon to relocate to Kaduna if he, Gowon, insisted in declaring war against Biafra and Ojukwu started the wa[/b]r.

I don't get the point you are trying to make. Whether there were or weren't enough Yoruba soldiers, Lagos was still a part of Nigeria and Gowon as Head of State was entitled to be located anywhere he chose within the walls of Nigeria. The decision to secede by Biafra had no bearing whatsoever, on what happened elsewhere in Nigeria.

It is clear to me that you suffer from what psychologists call the 'Stockholm Syndrome' where a kidnappee fails to find fault in the actions of the kidnapper. Why are you so obsessed with Yoruba? Why is it that you remember the names of Yoruba officers who served in that war and in what sectors they served in? Why do you never mention the names of the Northern officers who participated in that war? The war started has a straight fight between North and East while the West and mid-west were bystanders. But of course, only a fool would expect them to remain on the sidelines after their territories were invaded by Biafrans.

1 Like

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by DEEHASAL(m): 11:58am On Nov 20, 2011
The long and insightful paper posted by DEnn? asnwered so many questions.
Anyone blaming Yorubas for the war should have his head checked.Anyway some people will always look for blames somewhere else.
Yorubas were on the fence till Ojukwu's real intentions got exposed.
Biafra will never get to Lagos without over-running the entire West.GOD FORBID.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Dede1(m): 12:46pm On Nov 20, 2011
Katsumoto:

I don't get the point you are trying to make. Whether there were or weren't enough Yoruba soldiers, Lagos was still a part of Nigeria and Gowon as Head of State was entitled to be located anywhere he chose within the walls of Nigeria. The decision to secede by Biafra had no bearing whatsoever, on what happened elsewhere in Nigeria.

It is clear to me that you suffer from what psychologists call the 'Stockholm Syndrome' where a kidnappee fails to find fault in the actions of the kidnapper. Why are you so obsessed with Yoruba? Why is it that you remember the names of Yoruba officers who served in that war and in what sectors they served in? Why do you never mention the names of the Northern officers who participated in that war? The war started has a straight fight between North and East while the West and mid-west were bystanders. But of course, only a fool would expect them to remain on the sidelines after their territories were invaded by Biafrans.

You are one of the propagandists alluded in my previous post bent on distorting facts to achieve biased personal ends. Every Yoruba apologist has dubiously informed undiscerning crowd that Ojukwu started Nigeria/Biafra war, a statement logically or politically far from truth. In another instance, Yoruba writers have confidently written that western region of Nigeria was under military occupation, a statement that induces hearty laughter. In addition, they went further to summarize such nonsensical conjecture with inimical utterances such Yoruba do not have enough men in uniform capable of telling Gowon to vacate Lagos.

Talking about “Stockholm Syndrome”, anybody who remotely claimed Gowon had every pedigree to sit still in any part of Nigeria, though except eastern region, to prosecute war of attrition on eastern region of Nigeria or Biafra and at the same instance claimed that certain regions of Nigeria were bystanders or neutral or sitting on the fence needs a day with a behavioral psychologist. It is a considerable low grade of lunacy for anybody to insinuate such scenario. If the western and mid-western region were goofy bystanders, what the hell were their representatives doing in Aburi, Ghana or did they not attend as representatives on Nigerian side?

In the absence of legitimate C-in-C in 1966, nitwits who were governors of northern, western and mid-western region collectively crowned a relatively junior officer as a commander in chief against the widely acceptable doctrines of military parlance due to a failed coup while Ojukwu insisted on strict observance of military parlance which calls for seniority and discipline.

My obsession with Yoruba is very personal. smiley smiley
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Dede1(m): 1:10pm On Nov 20, 2011
Katsumoto:

Some of you folks are just plain dishonest and myopic. Do the Biafrans have a different fate to that of other Nigerians? Are there no problems in the East? What condition is Ojukwu in? Is he running around playing football like a teenager? No, he has grown frail and older like everyone else. What 4 regions did Ojukwu advocate for? The same Ojukwu that said the Igbo would export civil servants to other parts of Nigeria, in a manner similar to colonisation after Ifeajuna and Nzeogwu had killed leaders from other regions and Ironsi, another Igbo man, profited from the political logjam After that plan failed and was rejected by others, Ojukwu would then declare secession.

When you attempt to tell the story about Nigeria, don't start from where the Igbo became victims; make sure to start from the very beginning when every region had a chance to become independent but Zik chose Nigeria when he had the deciding vote. Also include that the same Zik voted against a secession clause being inserted into the Constitutioneven when he was warned by Awo. Don't forget to also tell the story about how young Igbo officers proceeded to murder political and military leaders from other regions in a move that even a daft 7 year old would interpret as ethnic and barbaric Nigeria is not in a mess because the Igbos lost the civil war, Nigeria is in a mess because it was built on shaky foundations. If blame is to be apportioned, the Igbo would get a lion share. You continue to assume that others are fools.

Did a certain Biafran officer (who shall remain nameless for now) not utter these words to St. Jorre

“If you gave us the choice of 1000 rifles or milk for 50,000 starving children, we’d take the guns.”

This victim mentality is getting tiring.

This is a typical tale by the moonlight meant to caress personal ego. Throughout the constitutional conferences which served as precursors to granting independent status or sovereignty to Nigeria, there was no region that boycotted the conferences to agitate independence for the region.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by ak47mann(m): 1:14pm On Nov 20, 2011
Why does the Yoruba support Independent Oduduwa Republic but oppose Biafra? Why does the Hausa-Fulani's allegiance start from Arewa Republic (Sharia-run State of northern nigeria) and end in Saudi Arabia and yet oppose Biafra? Why is Biafra's wealth expropriated and the people impoverished and oppressed without regard to their human rights?
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Katsumoto: 4:14pm On Nov 20, 2011
Dede1:

You are one of the propagandists alluded in my previous post bent on distorting facts to achieve biased personal ends. Every Yoruba apologist has dubiously informed undiscerning crowd that Ojukwu started Nigeria/Biafra war, a statement logically or politically far from truth. In another instance, Yoruba writers have confidently written that western region of Nigeria was under military occupation, a statement that induces hearty laughter. In addition, they went further to summarize such nonsensical conjecture with inimical utterances such Yoruba do not have enough men in uniform capable of telling Gowon to vacate Lagos.

Talking about “Stockholm Syndrome”, anybody who remotely claimed Gowon had every pedigree to sit still in any part of Nigeria, though except eastern region, to prosecute war of attrition on eastern region of Nigeria or Biafra and at the same instance claimed that certain regions of Nigeria were bystanders or neutral or sitting on the fence needs a day with a behavioral psychologist. It is a considerable low grade of lunacy for anybody to insinuate such scenario. If the western and mid-western region were goofy bystanders, what the hell were their representatives doing in Aburi, Ghana or did they not attend as representatives on Nigerian side?   

In the absence of legitimate C-in-C in 1966, nitwits who were governors of northern, western and mid-western region collectively crowned a relatively junior officer as a commander in chief against the widely acceptable doctrines of military parlance due to a failed coup while Ojukwu insisted on strict observance of military parlance which calls for seniority and discipline.

My obsession with Yoruba is very personal.  smiley smiley

I have always urged you to debate with fact and not emotions. You make a lot of assumptions; what are the personal ends that I seek from posting on any anonymous forum? Second, how do you know I am Yoruba? At what point did I state I was Yoruba or even Nigerian?

Attempting to secede from a federation without invoking a secession clause in the Constitution can be considered an act of war. If you agree that Eastern Nigeria was part of Nigeria, then can you tell us what clause Ojukwu was invoking by declaring secession?

I will state again, the minute Biafra decided to secede, it had no right to make demands of others who remained in Nigeria. It wasn't the business of any Biafran whether Gowon stayed in Lagos, Abeokuta, Jos, or Calabar. I remember that Gowon was in Port Harcourt in early 1969; I am sure that was in Biafran 'territory'.

What military parlance are you requesting of coup plotters? If they recognised military parlance, then they would not have murdered their Head of State just as the January plotters did not recognise military parlance. Please tell us how Ironsi was a legitimate C-in-C.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that you have personal beef with Yoruba folks. It is in everything you write.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Katsumoto: 4:18pm On Nov 20, 2011
Dede1:

This is a typical tale by the moonlight meant to caress personal ego. Throughout the constitutional conferences which served as precursors to granting independent status or sovereignty to Nigeria, there was no region that boycotted the conferences to agitate independence for the region.   

I saw (in the words of Sir Bello) the mistake of 1914. I saw Papa Awolowo in heaven laughing with an “did I not tell you people attitude,” because Papa fought so hard to convince Zik and others at the Constitutional Conference of 1957 in London to stand with him and demand that a secession clause be inserted in the Constitution (for the independence) so that any tribe that becomes unhappy with the union could leave. It failed, because Zik refused and the Colonial Secretary ensured that the Northern delegation refused also.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/columnists/guests/guest-may-22-2011.html

You are free to disregard this in your usual manner. tongue
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Uchek(m): 4:36pm On Nov 20, 2011
To Kusamatu: You did not answer my posers? Again history has rendered verdict on Biafran war. Every posting here stands beneath the verdict of history. You call me dishonest and myopic. I may be 'cause human beings have bias and blind spots. But history does not.

Share your perspective as much as you can especially if you believe you know too much about history but your account cannot override Nigeria history and outcome of today's Nigeria.

You did not address my questions? When questions are asked in discourse, you need to first answer it before.

My question again: What is the fate of Gowons, Awos, Enahoros, Yorubas, Middle-belters, Yorubas, Southern Minorities and Nigeria? The ibos already knew their fate if they lose or win the war?

I believe you are a Yoruba man. I am ibo but schooled and lived in Yoruba all my life. My best friends are Yourba and l speak Yoruba better than Ibo. I admire Awo so much cause he was a thinker and an economic wizard. I benefited from his economic wizardry as a pupil in Lagos. O how l wished Awolowo ruled Nigeria or an Oduduwa Republic! I would have preferred to live in an economically developed Oduduwa Republic as an alien than as a citizen in the present day embarrassment called Nigeria

If Adekunle (Black-scorpion) could say that his biggest regret is fighting against Biafra, who are you or any of the Monday-morning quarterbacks?

1 Like

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by ak47mann(m): 4:52pm On Nov 20, 2011
^^^^
words cannot come out from my mouth cool cool cool
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Katsumoto: 5:15pm On Nov 20, 2011
Uchek:

To Kusamatu: You did not answer my posers? Again history has rendered verdict on Biafran war. Every posting here stands beneath the verdict of history. You call me dishonest and myopic. I may be 'cause human beings have bias and blind spots. But history does not.

Share your perspective as much as you can especially if you believe you know too much about history but your account cannot override Nigeria history and outcome of today's Nigeria.

You did not address my questions? When questions are asked in discourse, you need to first answer it before.

My question again: What is the fate of Gowons, Awos, Enahoros, Yorubas, Middle-belters, Yorubas, Southern Minorities and Nigeria? The ibos already knew their fate if they lose or win the war?

I believe you are a Yoruba man. I am ibo but schooled and lived in Yoruba all my life. My best friends are Yourba and l speak Yoruba better than Ibo. I admire Awo so much cause he was a thinker and an economic wizard. I benefited from his economic wizardry as a pupil in Lagos. O how l wished Awolowo ruled Nigeria or an Oduduwa Republic! I would have preferred to live in an economically developed Oduduwa Republic as an alien than as a citizen in the present day embarrassment called Nigeria

If Adekunle (Black-scorpion) could say that his biggest regret is fighting against Biafra, who are you or any of the Monday-morning quarterbacks?

Firstly, my name is not Kusamatu. You will do well to stop making asinine assumptions.

I did answer your question in a rhetorical manner. The lack of progress or development in Nigeria is not concommitant with the civil war. There is no differentiating the lives of the victors and the losers because they currently share the same fate and because the Igbo were most enthusiastic about Nigeria (more than anyone else). There were issues in Nigeria before the war and many of those issues remain.

Adekunle is one individual and he is entitled to his own opinion. Besides, Adekunle may regret fighting the war because of the manner he was relieved from his position and retired from the Army.

Again, I urge you to let go of the victim mentality. You don't get benefit of I told you so because you decided to leave a union after it hasn't gone the way you expected.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by 9javoice1(m): 7:22pm On Nov 20, 2011
what are we debating about :

1st: Lugard made amalgamation of this deadly mission
2nd: zik and bello has the chance to correct it but did not, after been adviced by awo. and zik live to regret it.
3rd : Gowon has his chance but did not today he is living with the outcome of that mistake
4th: Ojukwu wanted to correct it by all means possible many call him too ambitouse
5th: awo has his own chance to correct it yet did not and he left this life regreting it.
6th : Mutala has a chance to do so but did not cuz he blv they (hausa/fulani) are in charge yet he pay with his life
7th: Obj blown his own chances to do the correction after saying he will be the last president yet blew the chances
8th: Gej is having his own chance now to correct it but he will not, cuz power corrupts,guess what he will live to regret it in the future.

Note: loooking at above info its clear that every region has failed on this mission. who are we to blame and live the other?
one funny but heartbreaking news to every region in this time bomb call nigeria is that, they that are crying today will laugh tomorrow
while those laughing today will cry tomorrow.
Only one person has made a clear move to correct it and he is "OJUKWU" , Others are speaking words without actions.
the hausa/fulani are the only people in nigeria that still find it rosy for them since indipendent.but i foresee there days of great tears ahead.
Lets end this union now and save our next generation of nonsense wars and battles in the future.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by dayokanu(m): 9:39pm On Nov 20, 2011
I am glad that the Yoruba warriors and leaders like Awolowo, Obasanjo, Alani Akinrinade and the one and ONLY

BLACK SCORPION Benjamin BABAMAJA Adekunle put the Biafra ppl in their place.

Ibos are the worst things to happen to Africa.

Only one tribe can think of killing other regional leaders and sparing theirs.

Next thing they would come to Yorubaland and appoint administrators and every appointment must be ratified by Ojukwu.

Next thing wage war on Yorubaland before they were stopped at Ore.

Read the account of Midwesterners on the Biafran soldiers occupation

DEEHASAL:

He explained the pains of witnessing the gang-violation of his eldest sister by Biafran troops

These are some of the acts of the Saintly Biafran troops in their process of Liberating MidWest and SouthWest

God May you continue to bless Benjamin Adekunle the Black Scorpion
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Uchek(m): 10:16pm On Nov 20, 2011
Dayokanu: From your profile, you live in US as l do. For you to rubbish an entire tribe in your comment " Ibos are the worst things to happen to Africa" says a lot about your make-up. I would never generalize on an entire tribe - not even the Hausa-Fulani who were our enemies during the war. And you live in America where one would expect you to bring reason to bear on discourse.

Please remove Akinrinade and Adekunle from among the Yorubas who put the Biafran people in their place. Both regretted their positions in the war.

Here is Akinrinade's interview's regret: http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/main-square/38635-lt-gen-akinrinade-regrets-fighting-civil-war.html You cannot be more Catholic than the Pope, can you?

I am quite sure if Awo were alive today he would have regretted joining Gowon against the Ibos. He would have asked the Ibos to forgive him. That's why l admire Awo.

As for Obasanjo, you can claim him as a personal hero for putting the Biafran people in their place and also making your tribe - Yorubas - a second class citizens to the Hausa=Fulani. But l am quite sure majority of Yorubas won't.

1 Like

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Uchek(m): 10:22pm On Nov 20, 2011
9ja voice you hit the nail on the head without injecting any of your personal history which l continue to argue is subservient to truth.

Who will ever believe that the sons and daughters of the fathers of those who massacred the Easterners in the North are now victims in their own state. No wonder Gowon prays ceaselessly now!
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by aljharem3: 10:27pm On Nov 20, 2011
Why is it that it is only the yorubas that agure on this sort of thread

Northerns, middle belt and South-southers don't discuss on this thread.

I would want to urge the yorubas and other non-igbos to leave this thread.[size=18pt] for the sake of sanity !!!! LEAVE THIS THREAD SO THEY CAN TALK TO THEMSELVES. angry[/size] Haba angry

the civil war was a bad account of our history and I can't really blame the igbos for the bitterness so rather stop dicussing about it with them, let them try and change history as they suit.

1 Like

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by DejiYesufu(m): 2:30pm On Nov 22, 2011
;d
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by T8ksy(m): 3:43pm On Nov 22, 2011
Uchek:

I am quite sure if Awo were alive today he would have regretted joining Gowon against the Ibos. He would have asked the Ibos to forgive him. That's why l admire Awo.

As for Obasanjo, you can claim him as a personal hero for putting the Biafran people in their place and also making your tribe - Yorubas - a second class citizens to the Hausa=Fulani. But l am quite sure majority of Yorubas won't.

So what you expected pa Awo to do? Join Ojukwu against gowon? with northern army baying for

blood against a civilian population. Maybe in your neck of the woods, they call it "Intestinal fortitude" but however

in mine, we perceive such behaviour as sheer and utter stupidity.

Anyway, what was it ojukwu had in stock for us except DOMINATION. What with ibo liberation troops littering the

landscape of yorubaland and the military administartor of the newly-occupied territory only answerable to Ojukwu.

What an atractive proposition!! Was that what the ibos expected the yorubas to fight for?

Pa Awo owes no ibo man, any forgiveness rather its you ibos who needs to ask for the man's forgiveness with the way

you continually maligned the great man simply because he fought for his people against your imperialistic ambition.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Uchek(m): 5:02pm On Nov 22, 2011
As l always say you can have your say but history decides the truth. The verdict has been rendered so all of us here are all arm-chair commentators.

And by the way, alj_harem, an average Ibo is not bitter, we only enjoy shining light on issues and educating those who want to write their own story of the issue when history has rendered its verdict.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by bkbabe97y(m): 5:49pm On Nov 22, 2011
why u guys pay these nutty Ibos any mind is just beyond me. These guys are insane, dubious and terrible liars.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by DejiYesufu(m): 11:46am On Nov 23, 2011
I want to thank everyone who has contributed to the thread. Despite the fact that it has been derailed many times into tribal issues I guess my questions have been answered.
It seem to me that Victor Banjo was truly fighting his own war. It seem the agreement btw him and Ojukwu was for him to use Biafran troupes to invade Lagos and take power from the hausas there. But their disagreement on who govern Midwest showed insubordination on his part and this loss of Midwest to federal troupes was a big blow to Ojukwu psyche who hurriedly tried the great man and had him killed. Indeed the stress of war too.

Nevetheless I pray history will be kind on the memory of Victor Banjo and other gallant soldiers who fought to move our country forward and I pray that we would all learn the lesson of history and not repeat it.

Thank you all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

We Will Defend Jonathan With Our Blood - Asari-dokubo / The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki / Reuben Abati: The Return Of MMM, Tales From Sambisa And The Boy Died

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.