Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,383 members, 7,829,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:38 PM

The Victor Banjo Story - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Victor Banjo Story (24992 Views)

The Victor Banjo Story - The True Biafran Hero / Honorable Kemi Banjo (Alatika): 'Tasted, Trusted & Reliable' / Ojukwu Killed Lt. Col. Banjo: Why? I Need to get to the root of this matter... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by comfort3: 5:06pm On Mar 27, 2009
;d
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Akolawole(m): 4:17pm On Mar 30, 2009
Hi All,

I think those 2 books gave an insight knowledge about what happens at that time.

1) A gift of Sequins(letters to my wife) published by Mosuro. It cost #2,500 in ibadan and

2) A break in the silence by Adetoun Ogunsheye published by Spectrum cost #495
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by texazzpete(m): 5:32pm On Mar 30, 2009
meexteriox:

By my simple calculation, you were probably born in early nineties, hmmmmmmmmmm, no wonder.
That is not an excuse for your intellectual and historical malnutrition, stagnation and atrophy.
You should endeavour to read historical literatures, because they abound.

1966 + 23 = 1989.
So how did you come about 'early nineties'?
Before you accuse someone of 'ineptitude', make sure you yourself don't look like a dolt. This is simple math that i could do in Primary school.

onye_ngbu:

imagine a 'pupil' coming here to comment on biafra war too.

I have been wondering who is the slowpoke with that stupid name, 9jaganja .

My bad, you are not an slowpoke, you only have some growing to do.

Hope your mum is aware you are using the internet.

He's 20 years old. If at 20 years you and your peers considered you a 'pupil', that doesn't mean you must extend the same disservice to anyone else.
At 20, he's old enough to marry, to vote, to drive and legally drink alcohol. He damn well is legally entitled to express his opinion on a public forum without being heckled by a geriatric screwball like yourself.

I know nothing about this 9jaganja fellow, but as you can tell i'm really irked by your reply.

2 Likes

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by shotster50(m): 1:31am On Apr 08, 2010
@ Chykeo, thanks for your post. I was going to do something similar. Victor Banjo was executed as a direct result of the 'March to Lagos' debacle.

We should try and learn about history before we comment. A lot of people here are simply getting carried away by emotions and not reasoning logically.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by metalgong5(m): 2:30am On Apr 08, 2010
@Poster

Your assertion that the indefatigable fighter of the downtrodden, the revered Odumegwu Ojukwu, is a war criminal exposes your moronicity and that of your past generations.

Awolowo must be thanking devil in hell for not giving him enough time on earth to face his war crimes. Yoruba bastar.ds!!
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by biina: 6:01am On Apr 08, 2010
I think the first main seed of distrust between the North and Igbos was sowed when Azikwe tried to impeach the Sardauna/Balewa led NPC in 1964. Coupled with subsequent allegations (by Ejoor and Gowon) of Banjo and Ojukwu planning a coup, the January 1966 coup, and the subsequent events of an Igbo senate president handing over power to an Igbo military officers, all seem to confirm the suspicions of the Hausas that the Igbos were intent on seizing power.

Ironsi's not prosecuting nor punishing the coup plotters simply wiped out any element of doubt that was left in the northerners and they decided to carry out their own justice. They simply wanted revenge and seem they didnt want the possibility of the Igbos retaliating and thus they tried to wipe out as many of the Igbos as possible. The  excuse given by the northerners was that if they didnt act quickly enough, the Igbos would finish the job that they started in January 1966.

Gowon didnt lead the coup. Murtala (always irritates me to see his face on a currency like if ws a national hero angry)and danjuma were more prominent actors. The coup plotters wanted to secede and the need to keep Nigeria one was mostly in the interest of outsiders. Gowon's ascension was supposed to be a concession on the part of the core northerners, who felt that Gowon being from the middle belt and a christian provided a middle ground. they were not willing to accept a pure southerner talk less of an Igbo. But there was a  problem right from the start, Ojukwu refused to recognize Gowon as being the head of state and supreme commander in chief on the grounds that Gowon was a junior officer to him.

The lack of coherence in government, and likely complicity on the part of the northern soldiers, led to continued killing of the Igbos. The Aburi accord failed to resolve the issues, as Gowon reneged on the agreement (claiming he had implemented everything in the 'spirit of the agreement' and accused Ojukwu of using the media to further his ulterior motives). Gowon created the 12 states, said to be a bid to undermine Ojukwu, and Ojukwu subsequently declared biafra. Gowon initiated a police action into biafra annd Ojukwu responded in kind, and the civil war began.

My issues with Ojukwu stem primarily from my evaluation of him being intelligent and not one to make too many mistakes
1. Ojukwu should have known the consequence of refusing to recognize Gowon and not resigning from the Army
2. During the first round of pogrom, the Igbos ran back to the east, but Ojukwu sent them back to the north guaranteeing their safety. There was no basis for the guarantee. If he hadnt sent them back, the second round of pogrom would have likely been avoided
3. After the second round of pogrom, the Igbos that had returned were more or less safe in the south east. Declaring Biafra was more in response to the creation of the 12 states than the pogrom.
4. He must have known that the declaration of an independent state within a sovereign nation was an implicit declaration of war, and that Biafra was in no position to win the war. The amount of ground they lost in the first few weeks was testament to this. Ojukwu knew where the war was headed.
5. Even when the war had gone south, he was inviting journalists and trying to use the suffering of the people to get political sympathy from the international community
6. At the end, he ran away. He wasnt man enough to die for the cause he had sent so many to an early grave for.
7. His execution of Banjo & co hints to key officers disagreeing with the way things were going.

Some feel that Ojukwu was carrying out the wishes of his people, I suspect he used the opportunity to try and achieve his personal ambition and simply played the other leaders.

1 Like

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Onlytruth(m): 7:21am On Apr 08, 2010
biina:

I think the first main seed of distrust between the North and Igbos was sowed when Azikwe tried to impeach the Sardauna/Balewa led NPC in 1964. Coupled with subsequent allegations (by Ejoor and Gowon) of Banjo and Ojukwu planning a coup, the January 1966 coup, and the subsequent events of an Igbo senate president handing over power to an Igbo military officers, all seem to confirm the suspicions of the Hausas that the Igbos were intent on seizing power.

Did it really matter what the Hausas thought? What did the Yorubas think of the whole thing? Were they not the other major tribe in Nigeria? That is the main question. If the Yorubas didn't share the same thoughts, there is nothing the Hausas could have done about the situation. You can't kill 50,000 on mere hunch or suspicion or thought. And if Yorubas were at least neutral, the Hausa could not have fought and won the war alone.

Ironsi's not prosecuting nor punishing the coup plotters simply wiped out any element of doubt that was left in the northerners and they decided to carry out their own justice. They simply wanted revenge and seem they didnt want the possibility of the Igbos retaliating and thus they tried to wipe out as many of the Igbos as possible. The  excuse given by the northerners was that if they didnt act quickly enough, the Igbos would finish the job that they started in January 1966.

Like I said before, WHAT DID THE YORUBAS THINK? WHAT DID THEY DO? [/b]Don't make this look like Hausa only thinggy. undecided

Gowon didnt lead the coup. Murtala ([b]always irritates me to see his face on a currency like if ws a national hero
angry)and danjuma were more prominent actors. The coup plotters wanted to secede and the need to keep Nigeria one was mostly in the interest of outsiders. Gowon's ascension was supposed to be a concession on the part of the core northerners, who felt that Gowon being from the middle belt and a christian provided a middle ground. they were not willing to accept a pure southerner talk less of an Igbo. But there was a  problem right from the start, Ojukwu refused to recognize Gowon as being the head of state and supreme commander in chief on the grounds that Gowon was a junior officer to him.

You almost fooled the gullible with your indignation about Murtala's face on our currency after committing mass murder against same so-called "fellow Nigerians". God has already paid him in kind. As for Ojukwu and his refusal to turn Nigeria upside down by allowing a less qualified officer than himself to take over, where have we been for the past 43 years? Answer: in the gutter! For the very same reason. A cart does not pull a horse. It doesn't work that way. That is why other countries that were peers with Nigeria 40 years ago have all dusted Nigeria. Malaysia and Asian tigers come to mind.

The lack of coherence in government, and likely complicity on the part of the northern soldiers, led to continued killing of the Igbos. The Aburi accord failed to resolve the issues, as Gowon reneged on the agreement (claiming he had implemented everything in the 'spirit of the agreement' and accused Ojukwu of using the media to further his ulterior motives). Gowon created the 12 states, said to be a bid to undermine Ojukwu, and Ojukwu subsequently declared biafra. Gowon initiated a police action into biafra annd Ojukwu responded in kind, and the civil war began.

The ONLY TRUTH in your whole piece! Gowon created 12 states to undermine Biafra and the East. Food for thought. At the end, state creation brought unprecedented division in Nigeria and destroyed the nation. Today, a Yorubaman from Ogun state will struggle to get a job in Ondo state.

My issues with Ojukwu stem primarily from my evaluation of him being intelligent and not one to make too many mistakes
1. Ojukwu should have known the consequence of refusing to recognize Gowon and not resigning from the Army
2. During the first round of pogrom, the Igbos ran back to the east, but Ojukwu sent them back to the north guaranteeing their safety. There was no basis for the guarantee. If he hadnt sent them back, the second round of pogrom would have likely been avoided
3. After the second round of pogrom, the Igbos that had returned were more or less safe in the south east. Declaring Biafra was more in response to the creation of the 12 states than the pogrom.
4. He must have known that the declaration of an independent state within a sovereign nation was an implicit declaration of war, and that Biafra was in no position to win the war. The amount of ground they lost in the first few weeks was testament to this. Ojukwu knew where the war was headed.

How can it be an implicit declaration of war when the north was the first to threaten secession a year earlier, but only turned after it completely seized power? Who declared war on the north for threatening secession? If the north seceded, would there have been war? So, how could Biafran secession imply war? Your twists and turns are typical! Na wa o! shocked

5. Even when the war had gone south, he was inviting journalists and trying to use the suffering of the people to get political sympathy from the international community
6. At the end, he ran away. He wasnt man enough to die for the cause he had sent so many to an early grave for.

There goes the typical signature of the group of people who handed over Nigeria to mass murder and mediocrity for 43 years! Today they are yapping all over the place for "restructuring". Idiots! angry

7. His execution of Banjo & co hints to key officers disagreeing with the way things were going.

Some feel that Ojukwu was carrying out the wishes of his people, I suspect he used the opportunity to try and achieve his personal ambition and simply played the other leaders.

Hear it loud and clear: OJUKWU WAS CARRYING OUT THE WISHES OF HIS PEOPLE - THE EASTERNERS!  If you don't like that historical fact, go hang! No amount of twists and turns can change that. cool cool cool
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by biina: 8:52am On Apr 08, 2010
Onlytruth:

Did it really matter what the Hausas thought? What did the Yorubas think of the whole thing? Were they not the other major tribe in Nigeria? That is the main question. If the Yorubas didn't share the same thoughts, there is nothing the Hausas could have done about the situation. You can't kill 50,000 on mere hunch or suspicion or thought. And if Yorubas were at least neutral, the Hausa could not have fought and won the war alone.

Like I said before, WHAT DID THE YORUBAS THINK? WHAT DID THEY DO?Don't make this look like Hausa only thinggy. undecided
So it is more relevant what the yorubas thought than the Hausa's that carried out the counter coup? undecided
The Yorubas were  embroiled in their own local political conflict (operation weti e), and while the likes of Akintola were allied to the north, Awolowo was on the other side (from prison), and Ademoyega was one of the coup plotters.

You almost fooled the gullible with your indignation about Murtala's face on our currency after committing mass murder against same so-called "fellow Nigerians". God has already paid him in kind. As for Ojukwu and his refusal to turn Nigeria upside down by allowing a less qualified officer than himself to take over, where have we been for the past 43 years? Answer: in the gutter! For the very same reason. A cart does not pull a horse. It doesn't work that way. That is why other countries that were peers with Nigeria 40 years ago have all dusted Nigeria. Malaysia and Asian tigers come to mind.
There was coup in which the highest ranking office in Ironsi had already been killed by junior officers. Asking coup plotters to recognize seniority is stupidity. If they had any regards for seniority, they wouldnt be coup plotters.

The ONLY TRUTH in your whole piece! Gowon created 12 states to undermine Biafra and the East. Food for thought. At the end, state creation brought unprecedented division in Nigeria and destroyed the nation. Today, a Yorubaman from Ogun state will struggle to get a job in Ondo state.
Typical. You try to remove the speck from the eyes of others while ignoring the sawmill operating in your own eyes.

How can it be an implicit declaration of war when the north was the first to threaten secession a year earlier, but only turned after it completely seized power? Who declared war on the north for threatening secession? If the north seceded, would there have been war? So, how could Biafran secession imply war? Your twists and turns are typical! Na wa o! shocked
The north never declared an independent state. Ojukwu did.
Anywhere in the world, the declaration of an independent state within a sovereign nation without the consent of the incumbent government is an implicit declaration of war.

There goes the typical signature of the group of people who handed over Nigeria to mass murder and mediocrity for 43 years! Today they are yapping all over the place for "restructuring". Idiots! angry
That the guy ran away is a fact. You are free to approve of his action, as I am also free to disapprove of it. I have no respect for anyone that would lead millions to their deaths and not give up his own life for same cause.

Hear it loud and clear: OJUKWU WAS CARRYING OUT THE WISHES OF HIS PEOPLE - THE EASTERNERS!  If you don't like that historical fact, go hang! No amount of twists and turns can change that. cool cool cool
Again, you are free to immortalize Ojukwu in your mind, as I am free to classify him as another bad leader that exploited his people for his selfish interests.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Nobody: 10:21am On Apr 08, 2010
biina:

hints to key officers disagreeing with the way things were going.

As a matter of fact there were many disagreements within the high command as to the the whole point of the war.
This is a statement from the last head of state of the defunct Biafra,  Major General Philip Effiong

Throughout the civil war, one of the annoyances that kept nagging at my mind was the question: ‘How do you resolve fundamental differences of a people by force of arms—particularly when the intention, ostensibly is to effect unity, an end result which in itself presupposes the amicable resolution of such fundamental differences.

Here is an excerpt from one of Effiong's final speeches which is even more explicit on this point:-

Those elements of the old regime who have made negotiations and reconciliation impossible have voluntarily removed themselves from our midst.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by AzukaO(m): 2:08pm On Apr 08, 2010
biina:

Gowon didnt lead the coup. Murtala (always irritates me to see his face on a currency like if ws a national hero angry)and danjuma were more prominent actors. The coup plotters wanted to secede and the need to keep Nigeria one was mostly in the interest of outsiders. Gowon's ascension was supposed to be a concession on the part of the core northerners, who felt that Gowon being from the middle belt and a christian provided a middle ground. they were not willing to accept a pure southerner talk less of an Igbo. But there was a  problem right from the start, Ojukwu refused to recognize Gowon as being the head of state and supreme commander in chief on the grounds that Gowon was a junior officer to him.

@ Biina, I guess you are from the North.  For the first time in Nigerian history, I ve seen a Northerner that agreed that there was a 'pogrom' in the North against Igbo people in 1966/67. Unfortunately, rather than condemn the killing of about 50,000 civilians in cold blood as mindless and wicked, you are trying to justify it. I hope such fate does not befall you and your family in future so you will understand the pain and horror of it.

Ojukwu refused to accept a junior as head of state because the Gowon and co said that their coup was not a coup. So Ojukwu told them if the military hierarchy had decided to remove the head of state, the most senior officer in the army (Brig Ogundipe) should take over. Simple. Ojukwu still accuses Gowon as being the initiator of indiscipline in the Nigerian Army.

You people still accuse Ojukwu of declaring Biafra for personal reasons but u said During the first round of pogrom, the Igbos ran back to the east, but Ojukwu sent them back to the north guaranteeing their safety. What does that tell u? Can someone who did not believe in Nigeria send his people back to Nigeria to be murdered again if he had initially wanted to opt out of Nigeria? After the first pogrom, Gowon assured Ojukwu that it would not happen again; so Ojukwu told Igbos to go back to the North. And they were massacred again.

Why is it so difficult for you people to acknowledge that the cause of the Civil War was the senseless massacre of innocent Igbos in the North? In Rwanda, those who massacred their neighbours during the Rwandan genocide have confessed and the nation has moved on. Why is it so difficult for Northerners and other Nigerians to accept that they showed unmerited wickedness to the Igbos by the pogroms of 1966/67?

Igbo officers executed a coup in Jan 1966 and killed mainly non-Igbos. That was bad - very bad. Northern officers had a countercoup in July 1966 and killed Ironsi (head of state) and other Igbo officers, and took over power. Was that not justice enough? What was the business of civilian women and children with the coup that they had to be killed in cold blood several months after the coup? Have you ever heard any Igbo man complain about the killing of Ironsi in a revenge coup?

If Igbos were killed in their thousands in a country they had championed independence for; and they were assured to return and were still killed in their thousands, was that not a clear sign that they were not wanted in that country? And if Ojukwu and Gowon signed an accord at Aburi but Gowon came back to rescind on his promise, was that not a clear signal that he could not be trusted going forward? Lets tell ourselves the truth please.

3 Likes

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Nobody: 2:51pm On Apr 08, 2010
^^^
You are going off topic. The events of 1966 are not in doubt.

The question is why the Military Governor of the Eastern Region Ojukwu deemed it necessary to totally break off communication and negotiations with Head of State Gowon and launch a unilateral declaration of independence in May 1967?
This was done without sufficient military preparation or diplomatic support from the main world powers.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by Onlytruth(m): 4:36pm On Apr 08, 2010
Azuka.O:

@ Biina, I guess you are from the North.  For the first time in Nigerian history, I ve seen a Northerner that agreed that there was a 'pogrom' in the North against Igbo people in 1966/67. Unfortunately, rather than condemn the killing of about 50,000 civilians in cold blood as mindless and wicked, you are trying to justify it. I hope such fate does not befall you and your family in future so you will understand the pain and horror of it.

No, he is from the west.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by biina: 4:59pm On Apr 08, 2010
Azuka.O:

I was not trying to justify the pogrom, but rather trying to describe the events that got us to the civil war. I do not believe the pogrom, nor the 1966 coup was the genesis. While I condemn the pogrom (as a tribe shouldn't be held responsible for the actions of individuals), I also do understand where the North seem to be coming from.

Ojukwu refused to accept a junior as head of state because the Gowon and co said that their coup was not a coup. So Ojukwu told them if the military hierarchy had decided to remove the head of state, the most senior officer in the army (Brig Ogundipe) should take over. Simple. Ojukwu still accuses Gowon as being the initiator of indiscipline in the Nigerian Army.
That is nonsense coming from ojukwu. Indiscipline in the army was engendered by the 1966 coup, when Ifeajuna & co killed their superior officers. Asking mutineers/coup plotters to honor seniority is just being silly. Murtala & co can claim not to be coup plotters on the grounds that they didnt want to take control of the government, but they cannot deny being mutineers, and that means they have no respect for seniority.

You people still accuse Ojukwu of declaring Biafra for personal reasons but u said During the first round of pogrom, the Igbos ran back to the east, but Ojukwu sent them back to the north guaranteeing their safety. What does that tell u? Can someone who did not believe in Nigeria send his people back to Nigeria to be murdered again if he had initially wanted to opt out of Nigeria? After the first pogrom, Gowon assured Ojukwu that it would not happen again; so Ojukwu told Igbos to go back to the North. And they were massacred again.
Ojukwu himself was a divisive force in the government by failing to recognize Gowon. How did he think a divided government would be able to maintain order. He should have let those Igbos stay in the east until the government was united and coherent. Its amusing that Ojukwu would not recognize Gowon as a leader, wanting autonomy in the east, but would take Gowon's word as being sufficient to guarantee the safety of his people in the north. What evidence did he have that Hassan Katsina, Governor of the North was on the same page?

Why is it so difficult for you people to acknowledge that the cause of the Civil War was the senseless massacre of innocent Igbos in the North? In Rwanda, those who massacred their neighbours during the Rwandan genocide have confessed and the nation has moved on. Why is it so difficult for Northerners and other Nigerians to accept that they showed unmerited wickedness to the Igbos by the pogroms of 1966/67?
That is jumping into the middle. The pogrom didnt happen out of thin air, and the actual war didnt start till after the declaration of Biafra

Igbo officers executed a coup in Jan 1966 and killed mainly non-Igbos. That was bad - very bad. Northern officers had a countercoup in July 1966 and killed Ironsi (head of state) and other Igbo officers, and took over power. Was that not justice enough? What was the business of civilian women and children with the coup that they had to be killed in cold blood several months after the coup? Have you ever heard any Igbo man complain about the killing of Ironsi in a revenge coup?
Akintola, Balewa and Sardauna (and the people in his house) were all military personnel? It is typical that retaliations are worse than the initial attack. The north tried to make sure that there would no reprisals from the igbos. The civil war resulted from bad judgements from several individuals in key positions, but the masses paid the price.

If Igbos were killed in their thousands in a country they had championed independence for; and they were assured to return and were still killed in their thousands, was that not a clear sign that they were not wanted in that country? And if Ojukwu and Gowon signed an accord at Aburi but Gowon came back to rescind on his promise, was that not a clear signal that he could not be trusted going forward? Lets tell ourselves the truth please.
The killings happened in a particular part of the country and only reflected, at the least, laxity on the part of the government, and possibly complicity. It is difficult for a divided government to protect its citizens. The igbos were safe in the east and should have remained there. Ojukwu sending them back worsened things.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by bkbabe97: 5:22pm On Apr 08, 2010
Ibos, ibos, Ibos!!! You got spanked silly, get off ur butt and accept defeat!!! Yall started the whole problem! Ibos planned the first coup, didnt they? They killed mainly Hausa officers, didnt they? They declared their own Republic, didnt they? So, what the hell they crying over now? Plus, why the hell yall always attacking the Yourbas when it comes to discussions such as this? Did they force yall to secede? NO?! ok, then!!!

1 Like

Re: The Victor Banjo Story by yarodin: 5:58pm On Apr 08, 2010
bk/babe97:

Ibos, ibos, Ibos!!! You got spanked silly, get off your butt and accept defeat!!! Yall started the whole problem! Ibos planned the first coup, didnt they? They killed mainly Hausa officers, didnt they? They declared their own Republic, didnt they? So, what the hell they crying over now? Plus, why the hell yall always attacking the Yourbas when it comes to discussions such as this? Did they force yall to secede? NO?! ok, then!!!

For a group that got spanked silly we seem to have rebounded nicely. Afterall I am not really seeing what the "VICTORS" are doing to show that the won the war. Apart from few of the "VICTORS" such as Danjuma who are confused as what to do with close to half a million dollars, most others look defeated in so many ways. So save your Igbo rants for your mama.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by bkbabe97: 6:02pm On Apr 08, 2010
^^^Nah, I'll save it for YOUR mama
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by yarodin: 6:12pm On Apr 08, 2010
Concerning Victor Banjo we might never really know why he stalled at Ore when he had every opportunity to advance and capture Lagos. Remember, this was a period when Igbos were viewed as been over ambitious, and so he might have gotten a cold feet just thinking that he was been used by Ojukwu and other top brass in Biafra to take over Lagos. Maybe he never believed in the Biafran cause and made up his mind to sabotage the whole Lagos invasion. But my question is why did he run back to Biafra after the collapse of the Lagos invasion? He could have easily ran to his kins men and taken credit for stalling the Biafran invasion of Lagos.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by bkbabe97: 6:17pm On Apr 08, 2010
yarodin:

Concerning Victor Banjo we might never really know why he stalled at Ore when he had every opportunity to advance and capture Lagos. Remember, this was a period when Igbos were viewed as been over ambitious, and so he might have gotten a cold feet just thinking that he was been used by Ojukwu and other top brass in Biafra to take over Lagos. Maybe he never believed in the Biafran cause and made up his mind to sabotage the whole Lagos invasion. But my question is why did he run back to Biafra after the collapse of the Lagos invasion? He could have easily ran to his kins men and taken credit for stalling the Biafran invasion of Lagos.

At last ONE fuxcking Ibo man out of a billilon finally sees the light? So, u finally see what I, and other right thinking people , have been harping about?! Well, now u gotta relate this to the rest of ur kinsmen!
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by yarodin: 6:35pm On Apr 08, 2010
LOL some Yoba peeps never cease to amaze me.  Because I asked a simple question he/she thinks I have seen the light.  What bleeping light, abi ya mama dey work for NEPA?
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by bkbabe97: 6:42pm On Apr 08, 2010
Huh? English Please!!!
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by shotster50(m): 11:48pm On Apr 08, 2010
@ bk/babe97,

if you do not have anything constructive to add please save your diatribes. Its beginning to sound like a broken horn.  The issue at hand is one of the several problems bogging Nigeria down. We are students of history. In as much as I might not like the next person's view on the topic, at least they are making reasonable arguements however right or wrong. You on the other hand are not making any meaningful input.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by bkbabe97: 1:23am On Apr 09, 2010
@ SHOTSTER50: thankx for the ticking off, now go mast. . urbate using hot oil and candle wax as lubricants. Children of history indeed. Please bounze and stop telling a higher specie than ur miserable self how to act!!!
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by shotster50(m): 2:14am On Apr 09, 2010
Higher species!! You mean higher stupidity. Why don't you just open your mind and shut your mouth, both are empty anyway.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by bkbabe97: 2:32am On Apr 09, 2010
oh boy, does this deserve a reply? NO!!!
Now, click the link below, look at what u'll never have, then kill urself!!!

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-427482.0.html
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by shotster50(m): 2:37am On Apr 09, 2010
Hahahaha, Shouldn't you have a license for being that ugly? I'd love to ask how old you are, but unfortunately I know you can't count that high.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by bkbabe97: 3:32am On Apr 09, 2010
^^^ monkey, that aint me!!! for your info I aint a gal. sorry to burst your bubble (or make your wood go soft). I know u was probably having fantasies about "me". gay!!! Besides the chic in the pic hot thats why u wanna know her age, Perv!!!
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by shotster50(m): 3:59am On Apr 09, 2010
Go and get help.
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by bkbabe97: 4:01am On Apr 09, 2010
nah, ho, ima get a glock and divide u into two uneven parts. azz!!!
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by 006(m): 4:50am On Apr 09, 2010
^^^ What are you doing on Political section? Can't you find a cartoon to watch or do your homework?
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by olafolarin(m): 8:35am On Apr 09, 2010
September 22-23, 1967: Looking for scape-goats to blame for the loss of Midwest Brigadier Victor Banjo, Lt. Col. Emmanuel Ifeajuna, Major Sam Agbamuche (Agbam) and Major Phillip Alale were tried in a kongaroo-styled court and found guilty of "treason" for deserting Benin City. While Ojukwu executed his officers for deserting the Midwest capital (Benin City), he deserted the Biafran capital (Enugu) when Nigerian soldiers attacked it on October 2, 1967.

Onitsha indigenes, including my family, were labelled as "ndi sabo" (saboteurs) and ostracized by the Igbo community. At Nnobi, a group of kids were in hot pursuit of me when someone in a crowd identified as an "Onitsha kid."

September 25, 1967: Brigadier Victor Banjo, Lt. Col. Emmanuel Ifeajuna, Major Sam Agbamuche (Agbam) and Major Phillip Alale were executed by firing squad under the pretext of sabotage by prematuring withdrawing from the Midwest. The truth is that the lightly-armed and hurriedly-trained 7,000 Biafran troops could not hold the 40,000 square miles it captured from the superior firepower of the Nigerian army.

Culled from Emeagwali.com
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by edoyad(m): 9:19am On Apr 09, 2010
Ndi sabo ? grin
Re: The Victor Banjo Story by AzukaO(m): 10:01am On Apr 09, 2010
biina:

Akintola, Balewa and Sardauna (and the people in his house) were all military personnel? It is typical that retaliations are worse than the initial attack. The north tried to make sure that there would no reprisals from the igbos. The civil war resulted from bad judgements from several individuals in key positions, but the masses paid the price.

The military was not in govt between 1960 and Jan 1966, so I don't know why u brought this up. The casualties of the first coup were mainly civilian rulers because it was a civilian govt. The casualties of the 2nd coup were mainly military rulers because the military was in power. So pls let's not argue on technicalities, since this is not a law court.

You said: "It is typical that retaliations are worse than the initial attack. The north tried to make sure that there would no reprisals from the igbos.".  That is why I said you were trying to justify the senseles and systematic murder of innocent Igbo civilians, an attempt to eliminate an entire race. As I said, pray such fate does not befall you in future.

I said that the killing of non-Igbo leaders in the Jan 1966 coup was not good at all. But the North retaliated in July by killing the head of state (Igbo) and other Igbos in govt. That was not enough. The murderous gang went after helpless children, women and men and sought to wipe out a race and you tell me that you know where the North is coming from on that. Tufia! I will never support evil.

Dimka from the Middle-Belt killed Murtala Mohammed in the 1976 coup. Why didn't the North go from house to house to wipe out the Middle-Belters? Orkar/Ogboru carved out the North from Nigeria and attempted to kill Babangida in the 1990 coup, why didn't the North retaliate by wiping out the Middle-Belt and Bendel (there was no Delta then) people?

When a Danish cartoonist made a caricature of Prophet Mohammed, what was the connection with the killing of Igbos in the North? Did Igbos descend from Denmark? Or was the mother of the cartoonist an Igbo woman?

For several decades the Igbos have been targetted for elimination in the North for no just cause. Today it is happening to the Jos people. Tomorrow it may happen to you. What I expect from people like you who have the advantage of going to school and seeing the light is to condemn any act of injustice wherever you see it. When Abiola was denied his mandate, I shouted in my corner and through the media that it was an injustice. When Obasanjo wanted to mess up his VP Atiku, I shouted that it was wrong and unjust. When Ribadu was treated like a common thief by Yar'Adua, I shouted too. When Jos children and women were murdered some weeks ago, I shouted; I was horrified, even though the Jos people participated in the killing of Igbos in 1966/67. It does not matter if the victim is your enemy; once you see injustice anywhere, condemn it in its entirely. Few guys like Soyinka raised their voices and wanted the ugly descent into anarchy to stop but were imprisoned.

The mass murder of Igbos in the North in their thousands was the main reason Igbos felt they were not wanted in Nigeria. And Igbos also felt very disappointed that other Nigerians (from the West, Mid-West and present-day South-South) kept quiet and even tacitly gave their support while they were being eliminated by Northerners. 40 years after that ugly incident, the least any right-thinking person can do is to acknowledge that the massacre of Igbo civilians in 1966/67 was completely and inexcusably wrong and unwarranted. There should be no iota of justification for that senseless act whatsoever.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

We’re Under Threat For Endorsing Buhari – Christian Group / Abba Aji Kalli Welcome US Professors To His Home In Borno / Police Deployed To Guard Hausa Settlement In Imo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.