Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,195 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:27 AM

National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital (10846 Views)

PDP Faction Wants Jonathan Out As Candidate, As Party Faces Deepening Schisms / Mimiko Absent As South-west Governors Converge In Ibadan / Ahmed Sani Yarima Is A Good Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by DeLaRue: 12:21pm On Oct 22, 2013
It is interesting to see some folks, already sharing imaginary spoils in the event of a strengthened Federal structure. Hmm...I laugh. I laugh because these people who I guess are probably from Oyo, Ogun, and Lagos State think we are back in the 60's when Ondo (including Ekiti then) got a raw deal.

Katsumoto or some other person in another thread about the status of Kwara in a new federating structure had it nicely laid out in their heads how Akure will be the 'educational capital' of a new SW, with Lagos, Ibadan, Abeokuta being the commercial, administrative, and industrial capital. Someone else rubbished the idea of Akure as a potential new capital of the new structure, saying' for where?' I laugh again.

These self -centred and myopic comments typify why many in Ondo State decided during the last guber election to stick with Mimiko against the ACN candidate. One of the campaign strategies of the Labour party was to cast the ACN as a party of people who would come to Ondo State to take their resources in order to develop Lagos, Ogun etc. And Labour plastered the airwaves (radio in particular) with jingles reminding the people how Ondo state produced the Cocoa but 'these people' built Cocoa House in Ibadan. Uni of Ife was located in you know where, and Ikeja, among other places were developed with 'their' cocoa money.

At the time I thought this was just silly, ridiculous, and underhand. But guess what, when you see how some folks are already dismissing the goose that will lay the golden egg in any new SW states, you begin to wonder.

And I say this as someone who while not particularly interested in Nigerian politics has some sympathy for the ACN/APC, and respect immensely the astounding accomplishment of Mr Tinubu in rescuing the SW from the 'other' party.
I am also someone who can't understand why Mimiko continues to show little interest in SW integration agenda, and can't wait for his term to run out.

That said, I will say this, Akure will have to be the SW capital in every sense of that word or nothing else. All this nonsense about it being the 'education capital' - what does that mean? The argument in support of Akure is solid:

In any SW region/federating structure Ondo State will bring the following to the table:

- The region's only proven and producing oil reserves providing immediate access to oil and even potential foreign echange income

- The region's only and proven gas reserves providing a basis for powering the new region's economy to new industrial height

- The region's only immediate (from day 1) source of external revenue - Cocoa, Nigeria's current 2nd or 3rd largest foreign exchange earner

- One of the largest and soon to be one of the most successful single industrial parks in West Africa - OLOKOLA - with Dangote's refinery and associated cluster industries - another potential big foreign exchange earner for the new region

- One of the most naturally conducive water fronts in the region

-We also offer the first line of defence to your great Lagos, Ogun and Oyo. Is it not Ondo state people that will first defend you against any invading army from your perceived enemies in the East?. You want to be enjoying yourselves in Eko Atlantic, while our people are paying with their lives repelling your enemies

- I am not even going to talk about the 2nd largest deposit of heavy crude oil in the world. I'm not talking about it as I believe it may never be commercially possible to exploit it. So, it's probably not worth much at this point

- Compared to Ibadan, Lagos, and Abeokuta, Akure is compact enough to be developed into a befitting capital without the geographic and human complications of Lagos and Ibadan. Also, I suspect (I could be wrong) Akure is not as old as the other 3 places. One gets the impression that provided you have the compensation to pay, you can flatten half of Akure without much difficulty ( no insult meant to the indigenes of Akure). Also there is so much virgin land around. All of this will cost less than half what a similar exercise will cost in even Ibadan.

The above is what Ondo state brings to the table. When the time comes and we are all sitting at that negotiation table, you will have to tell us what your state brings to the table, and then we discuss.

You can't ask us to put all these on the table and and share with the rest of our people then turn round to say you want the capital in Ibadan. I[b]t won't happen[/b]. Ondo State will be better off forming a region with Edo, if they are interested. Ah, but then kidnapping,,,crime! We can remain with Ekiti! We do not all have to be in the same region to prove our Yorubaness.

History and location is not an excuse. London is to the far south within the United Kingdom, yet it is the capital. The fact Ibadan is central adds nothing to the debate.

We love you! Honest. But we know what we are entitled to. And in the Omoluwabi spirit, we are ready to share our resources with you without asking for special derivation. But you must make serious concessions to ensure that Ondo, Osun, and Ekiti all develop and are not laggers to Oyo, Lagos, and Ogun. Otherwise, Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Osun, should form their own region. Ondo and Ekiti (but Ekiti people and their petitions and political thuggery!) can form theirs. Maybe a West West region made up of Ondo and Edo states. Benin and Owo are ancient kingdoms who used to fight a lot in ancient times, but we have no problems with our Edo brothers.

Anything other than domination and manipulation by Lagos, Oyo, and Ogun citizens will be better. They either come to the table with fairness or they can bugger off with their Yoruba region. We will form our own Yoruba region too.

3 Likes

Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by Nobody: 12:28pm On Oct 22, 2013
Just observing this Ondo. Mimiko has so far demonstrated clearly - the place of independent mindedness in successful and practical leadership.
Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by DeLaRue: 12:31pm On Oct 22, 2013
This is not about Mimiko/ APC.

Mimiko is actually a failure. The state is broke as I write. Speak to anyone in the state, even Labour suppporter.

If elections are held today, Mimiko will not get 30% of the vote.

I mean that.
Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by Desola(f): 12:41pm On Oct 22, 2013
A futile effort in creating a wedge that is non existent in the western region.

Yoruba posters, take the bait at your own peril.

As for me, I fart all over this balderdash. It is after all rubbish, fit for the tip or latrine.

21 Likes

Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by femoint007(m): 12:45pm On Oct 22, 2013
DeLaRue: This is not about Mimiko/ APC.

Mimiko is actually a failure. The state is broke as I write. Speak to anyone in the state, even Labour suppporter.

If elections are held today, Mimiko will not get 30% of the vote.

I mean that.
dats true...
Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by DuduNegro: 12:59pm On Oct 22, 2013
DeLaRue: It is interesting to see some folks, already sharing imaginary spoils in the event of a strengthened Federal structure. Hmm...I laugh. I laugh because these people who I guess are probably from Oyo, Ogun, and Lagos State think we are back in the 60's when Ondo (including Ekiti then) got a raw deal.

Katsumoto or some other person in another thread about the status of Kwara in a new federating structure had it nicely laid out in their heads how Akure will be the 'educational capital' of a new SW, with Lagos, Ibadan, Abeokuta being the commercial, administrative, and industrial capital. Someone else rubbished the idea of Akure as a potential new capital of the new structure, saying' for where?' I laugh again.

These self -centred and myopic comments typify why many in Ondo State decided during the last guber election to stick with Mimiko against the ACN candidate. One of the campaign strategies of the Labour party was to cast the ACN as a party of people who would come to Ondo State to take their resources in order to develop Lagos, Ogun etc. And Labour plastered the airwaves (radio in particular) with jingles reminding the people how Ondo state produced the Cocoa but 'these people' built Cocoa House in Ibadan. Uni of Ife was located in you know where, and Ikeja, among other places were developed with 'their' cocoa money.

At the time I thought this was just silly, ridiculous, and underhand. But guess what, when you see how some folks are already dismissing the goose that will lay the golden egg in any new SW states, you begin to wonder.

And I say this as someone who while not particularly interested in Nigerian politics has some sympathy for the ACN/APC, and respect immensely the astounding accomplishment of Mr Tinubu in rescuing the SW from the 'other' party.
I am also someone who can't understand why Mimiko continues to show little interest in SW integration agenda, and can't wait for his term to run out.

That said, I will say this, Akure will have to be the SW capital in every sense of that word or nothing else. All this nonsense about it being the 'education capital' - what does that mean? The argument in support of Akure is solid:

In any SW region/federating structure Ondo State will bring the following to the table:

- The region's only proven and producing oil reserves providing immediate access to oil and even potential foreign echange income

- The region's only and proven gas reserves providing a basis for powering the new region's economy to new industrial height

- The region's only immediate (from day 1) source of external revenue - Cocoa, Nigeria's current 2nd or 3rd largest foreign exchange earner

- One of the largest and soon to be one of the most successful single industrial parks in West Africa - OLOKOLA - with Dangote's refinery and associated cluster industries - another potential big foreign exchange earner for the new region

- One of the most naturally conducive water fronts in the region

-We also offer the first line of defence to your great Lagos, Ogun and Oyo. Is it not Ondo state people that will first defend you against any invading army from your perceived enemies in the East?. You want to be enjoying yourselves in Eko Atlantic, while our people are paying with their lives repelling your enemies

- I am not even going to talk about the 2nd largest deposit of heavy crude oil in the world. I'm not talking about it as I believe it may never be commercially possible to exploit it. So, it's probably not worth much at this point

- Compared to Ibadan, Lagos, and Abeokuta, Akure is compact enough to be developed into a befitting capital without the geographic and human complications of Lagos and Ibadan. Also, I suspect (I could be wrong) Akure is not as old as the other 3 places. One gets the impression that provided you have the compensation to pay, you can flatten half of Akure without much difficulty ( no insult meant to the indigenes of Akure). Also there is so much virgin land around. All of this will cost less than half what a similar exercise will cost in even Ibadan.

The above is what Ondo state brings to the table. When the time comes and we are all sitting at that negotiation table, you will have to tell us what your state brings to the table, and then we discuss.

You can't ask us to put all these on the table and and share with the rest of our people then turn round to say you want the capital in Ibadan. I[b]t won't happen[/b]. Ondo State will be better off forming a region with Edo, if they are interested. Ah, but then kidnapping,,,crime! We can remain with Ekiti! We do not all have to be in the same region to prove our Yorubaness.

History and location is not an excuse. London is to the far south within the United Kingdom, yet it is the capital. The fact Ibadan is central adds nothing to the debate.

We love you! Honest. But we know what we are entitled to. And in the Omoluwabi spirit, we are ready to share our resources with you without asking for special derivation. But you must make serious concessions to ensure that Ondo, Osun, and Ekiti all develop and are not laggers to Oyo, Lagos, and Ogun. Otherwise, Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Osun, should form their own region. Ondo and Ekiti (but Ekiti people and their petitions and political thuggery!) can form theirs. Maybe a West West region made up of Ondo and Edo states. Benin and Owo are ancient kingdoms who used to fight a lot in ancient times, but we have no problems with our Edo brothers.

Anything other than domination and manipulation by Lagos, Oyo, and Ogun citizens will be better. They either come to the table with fairness or they can bugger off with their Yoruba region. We will form our own Yoruba region too.

DelaRue,

Nice try!!

My response to you is simple.......Agbekoya and Afenifere!!

If you are true Ondo indigene as you inferred, you ought to know what those cultural standards mean in the politics of Western Nigeria.

He who laughs last laughs best.... grin grin

Mimiko is serving on the endorsement and honor of Afenifere. Thats code for Oyo political barons.
Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by 0Willywilly0: 1:03pm On Oct 22, 2013
Okkkkkkkk, I see where Mimiko is coming from, and now I know why many Yorubas want one Nigeria by all Means, Immediately Nigeria Divide Ondo people are not ready to Share their Wealth with other Yorubas, Tinubu thought that Ogun people who are mainly Christians are stupid.
well I still like that Mimiko of a Guy

2 Likes

Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by DuduNegro: 1:08pm On Oct 22, 2013
DelaRue,

You better be thinking of a new strategy to work around Agbekoya and Afenifere in your quest to snatch Ondo from their political grips.

Waiting on you dear Ibo citizen of Ondo state.
grin grin grin
Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by Bontee: 1:20pm On Oct 22, 2013
There is nothing wrong in what the op has stated here and it will be good if something similar sees the light of day.

1 Like

Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by Brimmie(m): 1:27pm On Oct 22, 2013
Lol.. OP is scared!
Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by Nobody: 1:40pm On Oct 22, 2013
asin i dont understand where this op is rolling to,is he suggesting the whole of ondo state to be under lagos ogun etc cos i dont get is write up
Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by passion007: 1:41pm On Oct 22, 2013
@ OP:
In addition to your other compellingt reasons, Akure has a good road infrastructure, and the city is serene and tidy.

Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by tomakint: 1:44pm On Oct 22, 2013
One good thing you can't take away from Ondo, Ijesha and Ekiti people is their level of steadfastness, we don't condone traitors in our midst as an Ondo indigene I remembered what took place in 1983 when election was rigged in favour of Omoboriowo against Ajasin, I remembered how Fagbamigbe publisher of Awo's books was set ablaze for being a member of NPN, Olu Bajowa an Obj's stooge was nearly lynched but escaped..I can go on and on, I am in total support of you OP. You are a true Ondo son!

2 Likes

Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by tomakint: 1:55pm On Oct 22, 2013
b1327: asin i dont understand where this op is rolling to,is he suggesting the whole of ondo state to be under lagos ogun etc cos i dont get is write up
In simple English, Ondo has been sustaining the Southwest for too long and Lagos, Oyo and Ogun have been enjoying the Industrial Estates sited there while Ondo is neglected! Oluwa Glass, Okitipupa Oil Palm, Bitumen concentration, Petroleum Oil, Cocoa, Timbers and Ocean! A State with these potentials need not fear the FUTURE!

6 Likes

Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by 0Willywilly0: 2:00pm On Oct 22, 2013
tomakint:
In simple English, Ondo has been sustaining the Southwest for too long and Lagos, Oyo and Ogun have been enjoying the Industrial Estates sited there while Ondo is neglected! Oluwa Glass, Okitipupa Oil Palm, Bitumen concentration, Petroleum Oil, Cocoa, Timbers and Ocean! A State with these potentials need not fear the FUTURE!
Why is it that the only Yorubas Benin people like are the Ondo people,

1 Like

Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by PointB: 2:11pm On Oct 22, 2013
lol,

Ondo/Ekiti versus the rest of South-West. The Op is laying is bare for all, no to parasites in the new republic.

He doesn't want Ondo people to be asked to "go back to their villages/caves" in a future Yoruba country. Abeg let me take a VIP seat and watch as the fisticuffs ensue. It should be very interesting.

By the way @Op, your yorobaness is already being questioned, over to you!

4 Likes

Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by grafikii: 2:18pm On Oct 22, 2013
PointB: lol,

Ondo/Ekiti versus the rest of South-West. The Op is laying is bare for all, no to parasites in the new republic.

He doesn't want Ondo people to be asked to "go back to their villages/caves" in a future Yoruba country. Abeg let me take a VIP seat and watch as the fisticuffs ensue. It should be very interesting.

By the way @Op, your yorobaness is already being questioned, over to you!
Bro let me follow you laugh small, i guess its safe to say Imo would join the south west in the end since they are in the opposition (APC) and the way the rest of the south east threat them (anambra).

There are also strong rumours that Ebonyi is going with the north central. This is getting interesting.

7 Likes

Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by tomakint: 2:19pm On Oct 22, 2013
0Willywilly0:
Why is it that the only Yorubas Benin people like are the Ondo people,
It has to be so because we share lots of striking semblance, for instance one of the 7 sons of Oduduwa (according to Legend) was the founder of Owo Town in Ondo State and the Olowo of Owo is dressed like the Oba of Benin! Onishere, Alaa, Idanre, Ore share boundaries with Benin! You can even trek from Ikare to some villages in Edo State! Yes, we have a relationship dated back into history!

3 Likes

Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by nduchucks: 2:27pm On Oct 22, 2013
By the time the riverine indigenes of Ondo carry their oil and gas, and follow their Ijaw people to the Niger Delta republic, Ojuuyobo's interest in the area will disappear.

Na dat time, according to Osupa when "Oju Oloti ma da" ie Drunkard eyes go clear. cheesy
Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by 0Willywilly0: 2:28pm On Oct 22, 2013
tomakint:
It has to be so because we share lots of striking semblance, for instance one of the 7 sons of Oduduwa (according to Legend) was the founder of Owo Town in Ondo State and the Olowo of Owo is dressed like the Oba of Benin! Onishere, Alaa, Idanre, Ore share boundaries with Benin! You can even trek from Ikare to some villages in Edo State! Yes, we have a relationship dated back into history!
Okkkk, I can see why Benin people always talk good of Ondo, but when it comes to other Yorubas, Benin man don't want to have anything to do with them, especially Yorubas from Ogun
Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by Nobody: 2:38pm On Oct 22, 2013
I have just heard now from a reliable source that Ekiti has decided to go with Yobe State. This is getting beautiful.

4 Likes

Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by seankay(m): 2:44pm On Oct 22, 2013
passion007: @ OP:
In addition to your other compellingt reasons, Akure has a good road infrastructure, and the city is serene and tidy.
Abeg jare,if you don't live in akure,don't come here to feed pple with lies.Mimiko is a failure.Tell me 1 road he started and completed.As much as I detest Agugu's corrupt administration,its still a better govt dan d present one.The state is broke! He can't even afford to pay every workers and pensioners at the same time!
Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by Samxiulee: 2:46pm On Oct 22, 2013
Op,what you shod be clamoring for is fiscal federalism among the various states in the new structure,who says that ondo without being the capital city can not be more develop than other part of the southwest if her people want to?
Ibadan to me remain the natural capital of the southwest,its location,its history makes it a perfect candidate,the city is made up of yorubas from all cardinal point of yorubaland,it also defended other yoruba town/cities against the fulanis,we all have a stake in Ibadan,its relatively new compare to others.
Heck,yorubas didn't join the civil war until the biafra army got to Ore,which is in Ondo state,if we don't see you as one of us we might has well turn a blind eye.

4 Likes

Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by DerideGull(m): 2:53pm On Oct 22, 2013
It is very interesting to notice that Republic of Oodua is already collapsing without a gunshot.

3 Likes

Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by 0Willywilly0: 2:54pm On Oct 22, 2013
Sam xiu lee: Op, Heck,yorubas didn't join the civil war until the biafra army got to Ore,which is in Ondo state,if we don't see you as one of us we might has well turn a blind eye.
You are a liar many Yorubas were in the administration of Gowon before the War started.

1 Like

Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by PointB: 3:00pm On Oct 22, 2013
grafikii:
Bro let me follow you laugh small,[s] i guess its safe to say Imo would join the south west in the end since they are in the opposition (APC) and the way the rest of the south east threat them (anambra).

There are also strong rumours that Ebonyi is going with the north central. This is getting interesting.[/s]

Bros, you may laugh. But this is not time for foolishness. Ondo State want want to be sure that parasitism of Lagos, Ogun, and Oyo is not practiced in the new republic. Kindly stick to the topic or open another thread for your peculiar fantasy.

3 Likes

Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by DerideGull(m): 3:03pm On Oct 22, 2013
Sam xiu lee: Op,what you shod be clamoring for is fiscal federalism among the various states in the new structure,who says that ondo without being the capital city can not be more develop than other part of the southwest if her people want to?
Ibadan to me remain the natural capital of the southwest,its location,its history makes it a perfect candidate,the city is made up of yorubas from all cardinal point of yorubaland,it also defended other yoruba town/cities against the fulanis,we all have a stake in Ibadan,its relatively new compare to others.
Heck,yorubas didn't join the civil war until the biafra army got to Ore,which is in Ondo state,if we don't see you as one of us we might has well turn a blind eye.

I make bold to say you are very ignorant about the facts of federalism or fiscal federalism. To further bolster your ignorance on the subject matter, you were thrilled to conjure the following craps, “Heck,yorubas didn't join the civil war until the biafra army got to Ore,which is in Ondo state,if we don't see you as one of us we might has well turn a blind eye”. In fact, you are a dimwit or a blind ignoramus.
Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by Nobody: 3:08pm On Oct 22, 2013
Lol! Op, please tell us where in akure is the oil? Tell us where in akure is the cocoa?

Akure has been feeding on other cities and villages as well, everything you just highlighted against lagos and ibadan also affects akure too.

4 Likes

Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by icekidjten(m): 3:14pm On Oct 22, 2013
is dis hw d yerobas wnt to run their oduduwa republic wen nig finally breaks wit ondo already clamourin to exist sw.very soon lagos wil go to togo or benin republic.kwara has already gone to d north..i dey in swahili gringrin

1 Like

Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by cKaiser: 3:15pm On Oct 22, 2013
Imo may exit South East

Rivers may exit South South

Bauchi may Exit North east

WHat extreme cluelessness from OP

4 Likes

Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by icekidjten(m): 3:17pm On Oct 22, 2013
cKaiser: Imo may exit South East

Rivers may exit South South

Bauchi may Exit North east

WHat extreme cluelessness from OP
imo wil exist sE n join oduduwa republic abi
Re: National Conference - Akure A Good Candidate As South West Capital by grafikii: 3:19pm On Oct 22, 2013
PointB:

Bros, you may laugh. But this is not time for foolishness. Ondo State want want to be sure that parasitism of Lagos, Ogun, and Oyo is not practiced in the new republic. Kindly stick to the topic or open another thread for your peculiar fantasy.
Oh i was just sharing laughs now, why are your nerves so sensitive? Are you referring to the parasitism in abia civil service that lead to indignation. I really want to understand how it works since its the hallmark in you parts.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Buhari might not Win The Just Concluded Elections - Unbiased Analysis / What Do We Do With These Igbos ? Just Look At GTB Boycott / Buhari Gives Bandits 2 Months To Surrender – Zamfara Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.